• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Weehamish

Recruit
Mar 11, 2020
Stick 4 LL+3ACC and headshot everything?

I read somewhere you can put on mech destruction and recover their unique parts? Is this classed as cheating? I guess its not intended?

Anyway the only mech that comes close to the marauder is the siege tower mech, forgot its name, but it can support 4 ACs and its decent for headshots too.

Crab, Atlas and such are a thing of the past now? These new mechs with built in buffs are just better in every way.

Even with TCC+3 the accuracy never comes close to the marauders buff!

best MAD is the 3015 marauder used by the BH....not the thing HBS presented to us as that mech.

3/5/3 movement
max armour
3 x ppc 5xml and lotsa DHS

My mod adds in the MAD-5D, -5M, and -5S.

Keeping the Lance Command module on the -5S is just stupidly OP. Fun, but stupid. Literally kills whatever you point it at. "40% of the time, it works every time."

I don't know if the Marauder is the best mech in the game (replacing the Catapult), but it is my favorite. :)

Then again, chicken walkers are my favorite design.

The siege tower mech is the Annihilator and it certainly lives up to its name.

The TCC only improves normal to hit chances. It doesn't affect location, even with a called shot.

The only way to acquire the fixed equipment separate from the normal mechs is to have permanent mech destruction turned on then have one of your mechs cored. You lose the chassis, but any gear that survives is returned to you, including fixed equipment. You can't get fixed equipment by destroying enemy mechs and losing a mech to a head shot will not make the equipment available, it has be CT destroyed. I would classify that as an exploit, no it isn't intended, so it could be called a cheat.

Yup i thought it was an exploit seems weird how its even possible.

So theres only 2 really good mechs in the game? I havent got a cyclops yet but the annihilator just makes every other 100 ton mech look like a worm... 3-4 ac 10s 1 shotting everything with head shots and then my MADs sniping the remaining mechs... only weakness of the MADs is moon battles, they overheat pretty fast!

Actually, depending on strategy, the Firestarter or Archer could be better. I have seen strong evidence that fast light mechs played well are more effective than heavies and assaults.

Saying "there are only two good mechs" based on a single strategy and end game pilots seems like a rather narrow view what could be considered good. They are certainly strong contenders for best mech, but I'll leave that call to others.

The Heavy Metal DLC mechs (+Marauder and Warhammer) are all quite powerful with their special equipment.

Warhammer is good but nothing compared to a MAD... firestarter or archer good? Both terrible imo. You can snipe things miles away with LL on a mad and 1 shot them. Light mechs need to flank and core to be anywhere near as good and will most likely need to take warriors with piloting perks making them useless in other mechs

Warhammer is good but nothing compared to a MAD... firestarter or archer good? Both terrible imo. You can snipe things miles away with LL on a mad and 1 shot them. Light mechs need to flank and core to be anywhere near as good and will most likely need to take warriors with piloting perks making them useless in other mechs

Try a PXH-1B. It's basically Discoback that moves like the Spider. Outfit it with full complement of medium, medium pulse and ER small lasers. Jump brace towards your target and then use the 250m jump to take aimed shot at their center rear torso. If you have DHS at hand you can easily fit it with max armour, good heat sinking and enough firepower to reliably one shot any 'mech in the game. Can also perform independent harassing against the enemy while rest of your lance moves to position. If you are using a "hail of fire" type Marauder with lots of medium lasers and light autocannons it also makes a decent complementary headcapper with those 8 lasers that you can use to finish off enemies that the Marauder didn't quite manage to kill. You do need to be vary of melee counterattacks close up though, so choose your firing positions wisely to minimize risk.

You don't need gunnery spec for this since rear attacks ignore cover. Pilot 2 Guts 1, Pilot 1 Guts 2 and Guts 1 Tactics 2 all work.

Last edited:
Look up Edmon's "There are Four Lights" campaign on YouTube sometime. He finishes a full campaign using nothing but light mechs. Pretty impressive stuff.
You're making his point when you say that's impressive. If someone new to the game told you he completed his first campaign with ease using just four heavies/assaults from the start (by editing some json file), would this be considered impressive in your opinion? and if he was an experienced player?.

You're making his point when you say that's impressive. If someone new to the game told you he completed his first campaign with ease using just four heavies/assaults from the start (by editing some json file), would this be considered impressive in your opinion? and if he was an experienced player?.
My point is that if 4 light mechs can obliterate end game missions, wouldn't that make them the most powerful mechs?

I actually do think the Marauder bonus is overpowered or at least abusable. There is a reason I started the headshot thread.
I also think that players should play what they enjoy and that "best mech" is highly subjective.

My point is that if 4 light mechs can obliterate end game missions, wouldn't that make them the most powerful mechs?

I actually do think the Marauder bonus is overpowered or at least abusable. There is a reason I started the headshot thread.
I also think that players should play what they enjoy and that "best mech" is highly subjective.

Well im playing on hard and needing 5 mech parts instead of 3 to slow the game down a bit because it just snow balls. My first major mech was a griffin, then i got 2 more so i was rolling with 55 ton mechs for a long time... Then i got a warhammer which felt amazing specially with 4 LL. But then i got a MAD and started 1 shotting all the decent mechs collecting 3 parts at a time to snow ball to 75-100 ton mechs only to realise that the MAD is just better :\ then i got my first ANNI and 4 AC10 +4AC which also 1 shot a lot but my atlas, crab, highlander, banshee ect... just dont do anything! Even a crab with loads of LRM + damage and stab do NOTHING. Crab is basically better to spam ML and SRMS and use it to target cores at medium range, this is still TERRIBLE compared to a MAD sniping bots via sensor lock half way across the map :\

I think the main reason they are OP is due to the heat and weapon system... The game went from missile spam being broken to LL being broken... PCC SUCK, all AC SUCK bar AC10s, the shogun type guns SUCK even the long range ones... Gauss guns are too rare to even be an option... Im bored at the game by the time i can even look for end game gear :\ LL ACC+3 are just the best guns even the upgraded ones are worse due to more heat gen.

I was happy to see new weapons specially the new UAC but they suck...

Overall the DLC is TERRIBLE value for money £15 per DLC for tiny content... i mean ive barely seen any of the DLC content in nearly 1600 days of in game time.

The quest rep system needs to be reworked... its BAD, alliances do nothing but prevent quests, im literally playing a juggling game to allow me to take quests.

Special equips are terrible... gyros are mostly useless and weigh too much to mean anything, armor is just better, whys there no special ones that increase armor or add shields or increase dodge?

I only just learnt the TCC only increases base chance to hit not aimed shots so wtf is the point? max level mechs never miss :\

Melee in this game is 100% useless... only 1 attack along with the mini guns attached? pointless an aimed shot from behind to the core is better EVERY TIME... Melee focussed mechs should get 3 attacks, the trouble to get close just makes you get focussed down and melted... look at them missions when 4-5 waves of units attack if youre not fast at killing you can have 10+ mechs shooting at you! being outside a forest during this is 100% death!

Anyway if i can see the issues of the game coming back to play for just over a week, the core player base and devs must see how bad the game state is? Career mode should of been 1000 times better than it is

If you can't with other mechs, yes. But you can, even many very inexperienced players will be able if they use four heavies/assaults, and using unpolished tactics.

I think nobody has said anything about what players should or shouldn't play.

And the "best mech" expression yes it is highly subjective, because it can mean lots and lots of things. For some the "best mech" could mean the "most badass looking", for example. But if we understand the best as having the best performance then it's still subjective but not nearly as much as before, now you can inject some objectivity, some measurable standards or goals to compare them, like you did with the four light mech campaign and then go farther. For example, can you do it with three lights, two lights, ... one light? because you can cheese five skull missions with two heavy/assaults and with some setups you can with just one of them. And that's ignoring the Marauder.

It is hard to argue against the Marauder as the "best mech"
a. really good mix of being able to move fast, hit hard & still have reasonable armor.
b. the command mod giving the entire lance 10% damage resistance.
c. Called shots were already powerful, being even better at making them...

That being said, head hunting is *never* a given, and does require a highly skilled pilot. With potentially very high downsides when the "killshot" fails to deliver lethal.

The quest rep system needs to be reworked... its BAD, alliances do nothing but prevent quests, im literally playing a juggling game to allow me to take quests.

Mostly agree. Alliances do have their special stores which have a ton of goodies in them, and there is some role play elements to alliance decisions as well.

Special equips are terrible... gyros are mostly useless and weigh too much to mean anything, armor is just better, whys there no special ones that increase armor or add shields or increase dodge?

Gyros don't weigh anything, and there are some that increase dodge.

I only just learnt the TCC only increases base chance to hit not aimed shots so wtf is the point? max level mechs never miss :\

not every pilot has max level gunnery? and while rare there are circumstances where there are significant negatives applied to a to hit roll.

Melee in this game is 100% useless... only 1 attack along with the mini guns attached? pointless an aimed shot from behind to the core is better EVERY TIME... Melee focussed mechs should get 3 attacks, the trouble to get close just makes you get focussed down and melted... look at them missions when 4-5 waves of units attack if youre not fast at killing you can have 10+ mechs shooting at you! being outside a forest during this is 100% death!

Disagree, Melee is in a relatively good spot, sure I'd not recommend building a punchbot, but an aimed shot requires 2 resources (Heat & Resolve) and an aimed shot from the rear also requires very specific positioning. Punching something to get some (very substantial) damage in on a turn where you also get to sink your full heat has significant upsides.

There is a direct relationship between range and risk. The further away you can shoot from, the less the OpFor will be able to shoot you back. However shorter range weapons can do more damage. Melee is that taken to the extreme. A punchbot can do massive pinpoint damage... but has to get up really close where they are vulnerable. A melee Banshee can be a lot of fun, but expect it to need some repair time after a fight.

And the "best mech" expression yes it is highly subjective, because it can mean lots and lots of things. For some the "best mech" could mean the "most badass looking", for example. But if we understand the best as having the best performance then it's still subjective but not nearly as much as before, now you can inject some objectivity, some measurable standards or goals to compare them, like you did with the four light mech campaign and then go farther. For example, can you do it with three lights, two lights, ... one light? because you can cheese five skull missions with two heavy/assaults and with some setups you can with just one of them. And that's ignoring the Marauder.
Pretty sure you can beat 5 skull missions using three lights. Some might be possible with two, but one is unlikely. I haven't seen anyone do it. Personally, I have no interest in that kind of challenge run.

Best mech is the Flea because it has an adorable pouncing melee animation. :)

Just kidding, its actually the Urbanmech. :p:D