• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have we stalled again? Maybe time for a new CWoW perhaps.

Aye, let's pass this on. Declared open for nomination, first come, first serve!

It's a shame this one seems to have stalled, but as no one else has offered up an appropriate successor to DavidMK (and congrats once again for that win) I would offer up one now for your consideration.

I put to you @TheButterflyComposer for his work in CKII's The Empire of Albion. It is not so much for the characters within, though they remain fascinating, but rather for the Professor persona that is telling the story. Butterfly does not allow the persona to lapse even in his response to feedback. The work itself is a terrific read, and his commitment to the style is a thing of beauty (even if I may have been rapped on the knuckles a few times by the irascible Dr. ;) )

TheButterflyComposer is relatively new to the forums and he has let us know this is his first AAR at the very beginning of the work. Give it a read. You will not be disappointed. Congrats, Butterfly. This is entirely deserved!

It's a shame this one seems to have stalled, but as no one else has offered up an appropriate successor to DavidMK (and congrats once again for that win) I would offer up one now for your consideration.

I put to you @TheButterflyComposer for his work in CKII's The Empire of Albion. It is not so much for the characters within, though they remain fascinating, but rather for the Professor persona that is telling the story. Butterfly does not allow the persona to lapse even in his response to feedback. The work itself is a terrific read, and his commitment to the style is a thing of beauty (even if I may have been rapped on the knuckles a few times by the irascible Dr. ;) )

TheButterflyComposer is relatively new to the forums and he has let us know this is his first AAR at the very beginning of the work. Give it a read. You will not be disappointed. Congrats, Butterfly. This is entirely deserved!

Eh? What character-oh wait, I've already done that...

Well this is rather lovely. Getting a character award for an AAR with (technically) no focal characters! Truly anything is possible in these technological wizarding times.

I suppose I could comment on the 'fascinating characters' (there's a few, if you broaden your perceptions of 'fascinating') or the 'terrific writing' (of which there is rather a lot of, considering we've done four kings and one and a half emperors so far) or even the 'commitment' to the narrative persona (so long as you ignore the time El Pip showed up and I gushed non too subtly) but I shan't be doing any of that.

This though:

I may have been rapped on the knuckles a few times by the irascible Dr. ;)

is merely a reflection of exactly how much flak and slap you'll get when studying in this field (or in any academic field for that matter). It's a tough world out there and we all need skin thicker than hippopotamus but I find this new experience of writing the AAR to have been a facisnating one. I look forward to continuing it.

Now...I need to read up on the rules for this thread...

Congratulations!

Very many congratulations

Well done Butterfly. It's an excellent read for sure

or even the 'commitment' to the narrative persona (so long as you ignore the time El Pip showed up and I gushed non too subtly)
Wasn't gushing, it was the sensible reaction to an eminent, venerable, majestically slow and inspiration professor making his presence known. Young whipper snappers should take it as an example of how to act in the circumstances.
IndeedSir.gif

That aside, congratulations on a well deserved award. I look forward to more of the Prof's personality leaking out through his writing in the next few updates.

Congratulations!

A very well deserved win. Congrats Professor! :)

I'll admit, I have not been reading a lot lately and just a cursory glance over the forums indicates only the crusader kings 2 AARs are getting love at the moment. So if anyone has anything they want to recommend outside of CK2, go for it.

Well I am not surprised that CK2 gets honoured with this award very frequently, as the character based mechanics are almost made for it.

However, I do have a non-CK2 suggestion. Oftentimes when we talk of characters we think of AARs with some degree of narrative. However, one can be an effective character writer in other mediums too, and therefore I wish to humbly suggest @ShinWalks for his portrayal of the various luminaries that form have graced his history-book style AAR North Sea Empire: A Knýtling AAR. His brings his characters to the fore in a number of ways, from the well crafted mottos and heraldic crests of each monarch, to the way he interprets (and crafts) various events within the game. This makes his monarchs in particular be more than just a set of three numbers (which, to be fair, is what EU4 monarchs can often become) but rather richer, fuller characters upon the historical stage he is portraying.

Therefore I would nominate @ShinWalks for this awAARd.

Indeed, congratulations!

Congratulations! It is well-deserved!

Wow, thank you all! I've found that roleplaying characterful monarchs is an excellent way to make trouble for myself and complicate what could otherwise be a straightforward snowball to world domination. I try to develop a sense of what a monarch's going to be about in his first few years and then set "house rules" for myself regarding what I may and may not do as long as that person is on the throne. Here's hoping the game gives me another power-mad hubristic warmonger so I can wreck my empire and then try to pick up the pieces!

As always, thanks to all who read, and special thanks to all who comment!