• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey folks!

I thought of doing up an in-character response, but there were things I wanted to say and it was clear Mister Black wouldn't let me. :)

First, thanks Fulcrumvale. This means a lot to me, as I'm somewhat proud of my characters even as I sometimes wonder if I do them well at all.

If I have a 'secret', is it's I let the characters run wild, sometimes to the detriment of the plot as I've discussed elsewhere. "Resurrection" has taken more twists and turns than I could possibly name. The main character, Thomas Heyward, was originally designed to be similar to me, and I went in wondering what *I* would do if teleported back to 1772 with the chance to stop World War II. Well...he soon let me know he had his own agenda, thank you, from lost love to an eventual showdown with a fallen angel. The other characters began out of necessity, then again took on lives of their own. Recently, for example, we've been reintroduced to a one-armed Army officer named Harding: He started as a throw away character, a random detail ... and stuck around.

'Tannenberg' is the same way. I intended this to be a series of conversations between 'Cat' (a pseudo me) and a Teutonic Knight. Well, somewhere along the line they decided sitting around was boring, and now they're fighting for their lives against unknown assailants. My Teuton started as a source of information, then turned more bitter and darker. Similarly I modify my in game behavior (and create events) based on the personalities I come up with for the various grandmasters and generals, who also take on their own personalities. Fulcrumvale specifically mentioned Konrad von Erlichshausen: I knew he was selfish and hated it when someone stood up to him, but I never figured he'd throw away an army and a war just to control his successor until it happened.

When I was considering an in-character response, Mister Black was going to say 'don't thank him, we do all the work.' In a sense this is true. It sounds ... well, insane unless it's happened to you, but I just sit, type, let my imagination run wild and the characters tell me what's happening. It can be somewhat unnerving...but very rewarding. (Of course, the problem is I've never taught them how to stick to the script yet. I have NO idea where Tannenberg is going, and Resurrection's so much larger than I ever thought it'd be.)

And lastly, since I know my characters won't do it, I want to thank all my readAARs. I wouldn't be doing this without you, and your comments have from time to time actually changed characters and plots. You, too, are part of these wild tales I'm trying to tell.

Thank you!

Congrats, Cat! Well deserved, my friend! :D

congratulations CatKnight ! ! :cool:

well deserved ! !
:)

CatKnight said:
When I was considering an in-character response, Mister Black was going to say 'don't thank him, we do all the work.' In a sense this is true. It sounds ... well, insane unless it's happened to you, but I just sit, type, let my imagination run wild and the characters tell me what's happening. It can be somewhat unnerving...but very rewarding. (Of course, the problem is I've never taught them how to stick to the script yet. I have NO idea where Tannenberg is going, and Resurrection's so much larger than I ever thought it'd be.)

Thank you!

Congratulations Catknight! Still, it could be worse. Read Mantissa, by Fowler, of At swim two birds, by Flann O'Brien. Then be grateful.

Or not :D

DW

Again, thanks folks!

I'm afraid my DSL was down for the first half of this week, so I've really given no thought to a successor. I'll try to appoint one tonight!

Sometimes, with these awards, I try to "game the system" by letting the comments die down so I can bring it back up midweek with my comment.. just to keep the awards at the top of the list.

But sometimes I nearly miss my opportunity to say something because I get busy.

Your delay, Catknight, allows me to not miss the opportunity to congratulate you! :D

I've very much enjoyed Resurrection, though I'm behind. And I haven't made it over to Tannenberg, yet, but I will.

Rensslaer

I have somehow failed to leave my congratulations here so far: allow me to remedy that this instant.

I've very much enjoyed your characters, CatKnight: booing Preston's immature actions (and hoping - against hope - that this time he finally turned the corner - only to have that hope dashed repeatedly :)), hissing at the evil schemes of Black, shaking my head when Heyward gets all driven and starts talking to 18th century Americans about Swastikas and Nazis...

And despite what you might think from the list above, I also enjoy the sensible actions of your characters. However, as they tend not to infuriate me, they stick less well in my memory. ;)

Good luck with writing the rest of those stories. I hope you'll be able to come up with endings that do justice to the interesting characters you have developed.

It seems I haven't yet found the time to leave my congratulations, a thing we can't leave at that, can we? Well then, although I have not read Ressurection (though I hope you forgive me, it is very long and my time unfortunatly is not) I really like Tannenberg and guess Ressurection is similar in quality. So I think you really deserved this award, for your characters are great.

Alright, let's do this thing. :)

It's no secret I don't usually do HOI - it's simply not my cup of tea. However there's one AAR that I keep an eye on that's continually impressed me with the detail and depth both of the setting and the characters. He's successfully made 1940s Britain come alive, a rare treat. I can't really point at one character that stands out ... because they all do.

So I hope you'll join me in congratulating Draco Rexus and all his characters from For King and Country!

Nice pick. :) Congrats Draco Rexus!

Well done Draco, King and Country is chock full of superbly British characters. :)

Great choice. Well deserved Draco, congratulations :)

Well done Draco!