• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you, @Qorten! This is what happens when I forget my Paradox account e-mail and password and request a reset, heh.

EDIT: And thank you as well, @Bullfilter. Sorry I didn't see your comment as it came in!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Revan86 ! Admittedly anything that starts with a icon of Saints Cyril and Methodius will always have my interest. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you, @El Pip! Appreciated! Methodius is a minor character in the beginning of my AAR; unfortunately he doesn't come back. Rastislav is also fun to write; apparently he had a rather wicked temper in real life as well. Now, Saint Photios, who is going to feature in an upcoming chapter, will be much more of a challenge: a man with a towering ego, but with the scholarly bona fides to really justify it...

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, it's Saturday, which means it's probably coming to be about that time when I should be passing the torch. When it comes to awAARds like this, I really do try to make an effort to 'break out of my silo', as it were, and nominate an AAR writer from a game I don't habitually play or am not as familiar and comfortable with as the CK games.

I've been trying to figure out Vicky 2 - suffice it to say it baffles me pretty hard - and so have been lurking on that subforum just to see how the game is played. And I came across Concussion and Confusion: the La Plata Story by @GangsterSynod as a good example of how things can go very wrong very quickly.

I snorted my tea as I read the crosstalk between the amnesiac, addled Señor Prime Minister and his overly-enthusiastic El Ayudante, let me tell you. It's fourth-wall-hugging, referential, darkly witty, skirting the edges of good taste. At its best, it reminds me of a Coen Brothers comedy.

Anyway, @GangsterSynod, please step up and take a bow! You've earned it.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Hurrah for silo-breaking and people who nominate across different sub-forums (*glares pointedly at Macavity*)

And far more importantly congratulations to @GangsterSynod for a richly deserved win, some excellent character writing in between the madness and the mayhem in La Plata.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Many congratulations to @GangsterSynod ! Always a good shout.

And belated congratulations as well to @Revan86 ! I remember enjoying your work massively 'back in the day', so I'll have to get caught up with your new stuff :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats @GangsterSynod ! That sounds like a fun way to write a Victoria II AAR, so I'll be sure to check it out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, thanks so much, guys! I've been off the forums a lot recently and I'm sorry I only saw this now. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do once I finish the next update of my CKII (an hour or two, I hope).

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you once again, everyone! Sorry about the delay in passing this on.
I hope you will all join me in congratulating @slothinator for all their wonderful character writing in Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy. I can only imagine how difficult it is to write in a diary-entry style, especially from the perspective of some truly nasty people who often do not realize that they are in fact truly nasty. Managing to convey what is really going on through individuals' heavily biased personal accounts and giving the reader a feel for the writers as people, as personalities, at the same time is a fantastic achievement. It's a marvelous AAR, with some truly excellent character writing, and thoroughly worthy of this award.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Congratulations indeed @slothinator , your wading into the moral cess pit of the Vatican has produced some truly wonderful character work. Not the characters themselves obviously, they are all awful human beings, but the writing was top notch.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions: