• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As for handing on the award; Am I limited to nominating people based on currently ongoing AARs or can I choose a blast from the past? (within some reasonable time range)

An ongoing or recently finished (say, up to a month ago) AAR is much prefered. Anything older and I'd say it's had it's chance or it's old enough for the Mr. T Memorial Showcase.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ten days have passed, so it is about time I passed the award on. Since in a normal month I don't read many - or any - AARs, except as the whim takes me, this left with me with a problem as I have to nominate something contemporary.

While there are a number of older AAR writers I know from years past are good at writing characters, whether because I read their AARs or their entries in Guess the Author, and while I could undoubtedly find a good nomination simply be grabbing the latest AAR of one still active and verifying that, yes, they are indeed as good as always, that seemed a bit of a cop-out.

So I chose to spend last week skim-reading AARs by authors I don't know in the different subforums, trying to find somebody who is already a great character writer or shows the clear potential to become one.

It is with great pleasure that I can now announce my choice.

Best character writer of the week is @BigKaliFan for the Duchess Matilda in House Canossa - How Far Can it Rise. Congratulations!

This is BigKaliFan's first AAR in the Paradox forum, and starting with every CK lover's favourite Duchess, they engage in the difficult sport of writing an AAR predominantly in first person. So far successfully.

As a first AAR House Canossa is unsurprisingly a bit rough around the edges as the author tries to find their own voice, and in particular @BigKaliFan still has a lot to learn about writing dialogue without sounding stilted, but the character of Duchess Matilda shines through, and character is what this award is all about.

Let this award serve as reward for persistence in writing despite receiving few replies and as encouragement for the promising writer @BigKaliFan, who is already pretty good at writing character, shows improvement with almost every AAR update, and clearly has the talent to become great if they continue to apply themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well done!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Wow this is a big surprise and one I never expected. Many thanks to @Peter Ebbesen for nominating me and also to his encouragement and feedback.

As Peter said this is my first attempt at writing an ARA and it is a lot harder than I expected as the other authors make it look so easy :)

So if I understand in about a weeks time it will be my turn to nominate another author for their character writing?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So if I understand in about a weeks time it will be my turn to nominate another author for their character writing?
Correct! And don't forget to enjoy your well-deserved week in the spotlight!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Hey, we need a moderator to change the thread name. :D

Reactions:
An excellent choice to bring in some new blood. Congratulations indeed @BigKaliFan!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It has been about a week so I would like to nominate @Revan86 "The Lions of Olomouc: A CK3 Ironman AAR (Duchy of Moravia 867) for the character writer of the week.

I have enjoyed the level of detail that @Revan86 has put into their story and how each character has their own voice.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions: