• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Do eet...

It's been too long since the last time somebody won this award, which is a shame. Writing good characters is an achievement that should be celebrated.

Normally, when you nominate someone for this award, you name a specific character or group of characters to be honored. But this time I've got a slightly different offering for you: I want to nominate @JackGoose for Best Character Writer of the Week. However, the character he crafted so well technically exists twice in the same story.

Inki Kald is the main character of Transcendental Spaces. She's an accomplished security officer aboard a space station. During the course of the story, a sci-fi incident brings Inki face-to-face with... herself. (Yup. It's kind of like those Star Trek episodes where a crewmember meets a different version of themselves from a parallel timeline)

The story of how Inki handles an encounter with an alternate incarnation of herself is very well written, and @JackGoose has demonstrated a real talent for writing believable dialogue, especially whenever Inki is trying to strike up a talk with the visitor from another universe. Also, Inki's internal struggle with her own identity was compelling enough to keep my attention throughout the whole story. In fact, I suggest you keep something to blow your nose nearby because this story will not hesitate to punch you right in the feelings.

And that is my nomination: @JackGoose, Best Character Writer of the Week, for the Protagonist Inki Kald of Transcendental Spaces.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Heck I am honored for the nomination, thank you! And again thanks for all the kind words in regards to the story, and thanks for reading it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations!

• 2Like
Reactions:
"And the Lord did say, @Macavity116 shalt always nominate Stellaris works and thus the faithful and righteous man shalt know all be well. Should he ever stray and nominate another, then you will know the time of judgement approaches."

That aside, a parallel timeline Star Treky type story does sound very interesting and I shall have to add it to the reading list. Congratulations @JackGoose !

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well done @JackGoose ! A worthy winner indeed. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
I do realize that this is meant to be a weekly award that goes out, but unfortunately my last week has been fraught with a lot of very unfortunate real life events which have consumed virtually all of my spare time, and as such I have had little chance to read through any stories here. I'd like to apologize for this, and being unable to select a new candidate as of right now.

@JackGoose it's okay, just post that you're opening this up to the community for nominations.

I will open this up for community nominations, again, my apologies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I will open this up for community nominations, again, my apologies.

It's no problem at all. Take care of yourself first, and we wish you all the best.

British writer Anthony Horowitz once said that the first words of a story are very important. They grab the reader's attention and pull them in, so the opening sentences should not be wasted on something trifling.

Keeping this in mind... let me show you the very first words of Tales of a Junktown Trash Mob by @Staehr:
Hello!

My name is Junkmaster Scrappy and I’m a walking pile of mutated radioactive trash. Some advanced civilization lived on this planet thousands of years ago, and I woke up in one of their landfills. It didn’t take long before I found a few others like me, and we built a community of sorts. I told them we should get to work on turning this planet into a city again, and they all cheered me on and made me their king! Imagine that.

The first thing I did was send out Nasty Pete on an exploration journey in
Goes Without Saying, an old science vessel we found. He came back a year later saying there's a lot of habitable planets up there, and a huge solar panel around a neighboring star that we should probably repair. I told him good job, and sent him right back out to survey them properly. That dude smells, man.
You're hooked, aren't you? Confess!

In just 155 words, @Staehr introduced you to a highly memorable character, who proceeded to give you a humorous new way to look at Stellaris. Comedic and funny Stellaris stories are tragically few and far in between, which makes them all the more welcome.

During the inaugural chapters of Tales of a Junktown Trash Mob, Junkmaster Scrappy pulls double-duty as protagonist and narrator, and the author executed this play flawlessly. For that I give you @Staehr: The Best Character Writer of the Week!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: