• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the Legalism requirement work as intended? As Apulia I tried to switch over to Seniority, but couldn't because of the Legalism requirement. Every province in my demesne had at least 1 and as did every province under me but one (Foggia, which for that matter wasn't even under the duchies I officially held at the time.) Does this mean that for a liege to change his laws, every single province under him must have the minimum tech?

Did you try to move your Capital to the province with the required Legalism?

Why would Homosexuals be disgusted by people who are also Homosexuals? It's hard-coded for a reason: It's most likely meant to apply between characters with the trait of their gender.
I am not sure if that trait is working correctly. If you can provide me with a quick save to check it, I will revert the change. :)

Change thresholds for interactions with other characters so we see less "yes" and "no" and more "maybe".
That's AI modding and not really my department. :>
Lower priority.

Change the penalty for being a pretender from -50 to something less absurd. I would like to give my brothers and second, third, and fourth sons some holdings!
I will think about it. Maybe make pretenders more likely to plot for their wanted titles instead.

What kind of plots and ambitions do you plan to add in the future?
Currently I am thinking of adding a "free prisoner" plot to free prisoners (to fix that nasty "just imprison everyone" exploit, and a "conspire against liege" plot so that rebellious vassals do not revolt alone, but rather seek support within the kingdom.
There are tons of other possible plots, but since plot scripting is quite complex that will have to be added piece by piece.
As for ambitions, I plan to add some in the near future.

1) Reduce fertility across the board. Once the game starts rolling and new characters start replacing the existing ones, one can seldom find a couple with just 1 or 2 children. It would provide for a much more challenging and exciting game if you couldn't count on having many children every time. Also, it would ease inheritances somewhat and make playing with Gavelkind a bit more bearable.
I am not sure if that will fix the current mechanic, but lowering the bonus from education traits might help a bit. Noted.

2) Give penalty for emperors on raising their vassal's levies. This would nerf Byz and HRE as it would prevent them having hundreds of thousands of soldiers 100 years in the game. Empires (both Byz but especially HRE) seem way too centralized and powerful and too hard to break down as it stands. Also, maybe make it so that it's harder for emperors to increase crown authority.
I would like to add a raise penalty for everyone, or even better, war exhaustion, but I guess that won't be possible at this point. But I will try to look for a way to make kingdoms and empires more challenging. For now, a flat opinion penalty for emperors might help. :)

3) Reduce the garrison growth from buildings as rebels besieging provinces are pretty powerless at the moment in mid and late game.
The problem is: The AI will withfdraw most levies during war, so small garrisons make blitzkrieg-like wars even more effective. Rather buff rebels a bit...

4) CB changes:
- increase prestige and piety gain from "defend the faith CB" (religious assistance) as it's not very tempting to use at the moment.
Well, it helps to keep the enemy in check. Having a reason to batter the heathens is already a good thing by itself. :>

- split the religious CB in two. One should be usable only for religious enemies that are your neighbors and should otherwise remain the same. The other one (for pagans and Muslims who are not your neighbors) should include prestige and piety requirements (you can't DoW Muslims and pagans that are not your neighbors unless you have high prestige and piety). This has both logical justification and game balancing effects. It makes sense that for a ruler to incite his vassals to fight in a holy war far from their home, one needs to be a prestigious and pious ruler. In game-play terms, it would reduce the possibility of France and HRE devouring Iberian muslims too fast, for one.
Aye, this CB needs a rework.

-introduce de jure duchy claim CB for kingdoms. For example, if I create a kingdom of Italy, as things stand now I have to take lands from HRE basically province by province. If I'm an indipendant king, I should be able to DoW HRE and claim the entire duchy and all counties belonging to it in a single war. This should only be usable by kings on kings or emperors.
Can be considered. Noted.

That would be a nasty, nasty exploit. Put on the to-do list. x)

That's just it, all of my provinces have at least the required Legalism but one, which is owned by the Count of Foggia, not me directly.

Can i use this mod without changing the game balance to much? Do you see it in a testing phase or in a phase where it already is recommendable to use?
The game balance should change, but for the better.

I have played a few short games, so it is playable. You may run into some problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. :)

A suggestion about buildings: decrease cost and output of (especially early) money buildings - it will (hopefully) lead to more effective AI behavior and decrease money flow in the end-game.
For example:
ca_town_1: build_cost = 50 (down from 100) tax_income = 0.75 (down from 1.5)
ca_town_2: build_cost = 70 (down from 120) tax_income = 1.25 (down from 2)
ca_town_3: build_cost = 120 (down from 200) tax_income = 1.5 (down from 2.5)
ca_town_4: build_cost = 200 (down from 300) tax_income = 2 (down from 3)
ca_town_5: build_cost = 300 (down from 400) tax_income = 3 (down from 3.5)

ct_marketplace_1: build_cost = 50 (down from 100) tax_income = 1.5 (down from 2.5)
ct_marketplace_2: build_cost = 70 (down from 120) tax_income = 2 (down from 3)
ct_marketplace_3: build_cost = 120 (down from 200) tax_income = 2.5 (down from 3.5)
ct_marketplace_4: build_cost = 200 (down from 300) tax_income = 3 (down from 4)
ct_marketplace_5: build_cost = 300 (down from 400) tax_income = 4 (down from 4.5)
ct_marketplace_6: build_cost = 400 (down from 500) tax_income = 5 (not changed)

tp_town_1: build_cost = 50 (down from 100) tax_income = 0.75 (down from 1.5)
tp_town_2: build_cost = 70 (down from 120) tax_income = 1.25 (down from 2)
tp_town_3: build_cost = 120 (down from 200) tax_income = 1.5 (down from 2.5)
tp_town_4: build_cost = 200 (down from 300) tax_income = 2 (down from 3)
tp_town_5: build_cost = 300 (down from 400) tax_income = 3 (down from 3.5)
Right now AI builds slower than in demo (where early economy buildings cost 50 gold for 0.5 income) and prefers army-buildings. In demo it was more rational and built economy first, army second.

Buildings will receive some additional rebalance, soon.

As for now, version 1.1 is up!

Btw, if you have better pictures for the added de-jure kingdoms and empires: Post them here and I will add them.
The union jack for Great Britain is bad, but I haven't found anything better so far. :p

Btw, Kingdom of Austria and Empire of Iberia will be added in 1.2.

Btw, if you have better pictures for the added de-jure kingdoms and empires: Post them here and I will add them.
The union jack for Great Britain is bad, but I haven't found anything better so far. :p

How about separating the Kingdom of Sicily from the Kingdom of Naples? As I play with the Hauteville it seems both have been merged into the Kingdom of Sicily.

Also, can we see about rebalancing traits, reducing the number of purely good and purely bad ones? It seems strange to me how few ambiguous traits we have, with both positive and negative effects. It would be nice to have more of them, making the choice between, say, Arbitrary and Just much more difficult, like if Arbitrary gave an Intrigue bonus (since they don't care about 'right' and 'wrong'), while Just got an Intrigue penalty (for refusing to commit such underhanded schemes). That sort of thing :)

Edit: Also, maybe a bit higher mortality rate? And less likely for women to receive a martial education?

Last edited:

Why not use the royal standard of HM The Queen: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Royal_Standard_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg ? You could replace the extra English portion with the Welsh standard.

Why not use the royal standard of HM The Queen: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ed_Kingdom.svg ? You could replace the extra English portion with the Welsh standard.
Thank you, will try that.

I hope this hasn't been mentioned but apparently wives from outside your court suffer from the "lost capital" effect.
Thanks for the report. Will be fixed in 1.2!

Could you also possibly change the name from Great Britain to Britannia? GB is the big island, Britannia is the whole realm.
Done.

How about separating the Kingdom of Sicily from the Kingdom of Naples? As I play with the Hauteville it seems both have been merged into the Kingdom of Sicily.
Put on the list. But won't that leave Sicily as a one-dutchy kingdom?

Last edited:
Just a quick one: is there some kind of empire in Italy now?
Since my best game so far was playing as Tuscany and trying to forge Italian kingdom?Would be nice to know there is some higher level after that...

may i suggest that there be a possible nerfing of HRE. They are ridiculously strong and seem to easily invade there neighbors.

I would like to have something similiar to what CyberSpyders did in his Gameplay Tweaks mod.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?585673-Gameplay-Tweaks-Mod

True Cognatic succession should be possible to enact for a non basque ruler, under certain circumstances. With proper opinion cosequences.

Requirement to enact True Cognatic succession has also been changed - instead of requiring basque culture, it requires a female ruler with one of a set of positive epithets (i.e., the great, the wise, the holy, etc etc)

True cognatic was already changed: You may now enact it with legalism level 3.

Just a quick one: is there some kind of empire in Italy now?
Since my best game so far was playing as Tuscany and trying to forge Italian kingdom?Would be nice to know there is some higher level after that...
Currently not, no. The problem is that I am not sure if I can assign different kingdoms under multiple empires (or dutchies under multiple kingdoms).
Anyway, a western romman empire for italy might be added at a later point.

may i suggest that there be a possible nerfing of HRE. They are ridiculously strong and seem to easily invade there neighbors.
I am thinking of increasing likehood for plots in an empire and/or a small opinion penalty. Currently, the feudal levies have been nerfed a bit, so large realms should already have less troops at their disposal. Maybe further increase this by excluding empires from max feudal levy law or adding an opinion penalty when waging offensive wars.

Last edited: