• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dhimmi said:
judging from your post you did yourself more harm then needed wasnt it better to let the event fire and jump in then or declaring war a few days before the event?

Yeah, probably. But I was worried about France gobbling up the minors if I waited until the actual event to declare war.

Also, I thought Prussia would be an easier nut to crack, so the French help wouldn't have mattered much. ;) That'll teach me.

1870-1876: France, Spain, and Sardinia-Piedmont vs Belgium

Now some might hunker down and spam the "Repay Loan" button. But at this stage of the game, that's just plain not the way to do it.

Instead, I go deeper into debt, build factories, and a few more railroads to increase my cash flow. (Just gotta calculate the increased profit of those things, and with the 10% interest rate, that profit often outstrips the interest.)

In a little over two years, I'm making 450+ pounds per day, and the debt has been cut more than in half to about 180,000 pounds:

153185801_cd8bd6add7_o.jpg

By September 11, 1874, I've paid off my debt, and am making 600+ pounds per day. To keep the army maintenance slider at max it only costs 520 pounds, meaning that the debt I incurred before shouldn't happen again.

War is declared on Sardinia-Piedmont, thus also bringing in France. The plan is to take Paris, get a large peace treaty with France alone, then, once Sardinia-Piedmont is alone, to pounce on her.

The initial invasion goes beautifully (I start off rather close to Paris now, so that makes it awfully convenient :)):

153185802_cd29ba95bc_o.jpg

France began the war in late September with a military score of 164. Now, three months later in December, it's 124. At the same time, Belgium's has remained constant at 173. :)

Two months later, France offers and I accept:

153185803_da7b569736_o.jpg

I now have two provinces directly bordering Paris. That should make any future invasion convenient indeed.

Likewise, France has finally been driven from all of Central and Southern Africa:

153185804_3d302ad221_o.jpg

Now on to Sardinia-Piedmont! Since all my troops are already in France, they can just march directly to Sardinia-Piedmont. No clipper dodging necessary here! Still, it takes a long time to march through all that enemy terrain, so it's November before I have a good handle on Sardinia-Piedmont itself:

153185805_6d9e14ecee_o.jpg

At the same time, my African troops grab the last Spanish claim building:

In March of 1876, peace is declared:

153185806_f850abe7e8_o.jpg

Though I only gain 5 Sardinia-Piedmont provinces, 2 of them directly border the captial of Torino, Sardinia-Piedmont now has a whopping military score of 4, and she is also now at -220 prestige, meaning the next invasion will only cost 1 prestige.

And now how much debt for all that? Only 40,000 pounds! And given that I make 600 pounds a day, that's just 2 months to pay it all off. Hmm... army in good shape, finances in good shape. Factories coming online in France, which means that the economy will only become more robust. By golly, I think it's time for another war!

(Badboy is 134 now, by the by. No more trading, no more peace, just conquest!)

And to think, I'm not even halfway through the grand campaign! 40 years have elapsed, and there are 44 more to go.

Oh I should mention, that in June of 1870, I did use a cheat. Back in the older versions of Victoria you could, through governmental reforms, become a democracy from a constitutional monarchy. I really liked that feature, and had instituted full democratic reforms in Belgium, so I just fired the event myself.

Where next? Mopping up unciviliseds, or are you going to tackle larger game?

1876-1882: France and Prussia Revisited

We left Belgium on March 7, 1876. She had just trounced France and Sardinia-Piedmont in a short war, after having paid off the massive debt incurred in the earlier war against Prussia.

My earlier belief that constant war was now the order of the day was sadly mistaken. I forgot the immense costs associated with building all those railroads and factories. Likewise, the discovery of Heavy Cruisers meant that I could finally build a navy with shore bombardment, a major asset to anyone attempting the conquest of a nation bordering the sea.

So besides the conquest of the small, unaffiliated German minors, I pursued a policy of industrialization and ship-building.

I built 18 heavy cruisers, enough to completely ensure my dominance over the seas at this point and also enough to provide overwhelming shore bombardment to all the places that need it simultaneously.

In May of 1879, the ships are complete, the treasury is full of war funds, and the army is ready to invade.

Immediately the destroyers annihilate the French navy and the Belgian army simultaneously takes over both Sardinia-Piedmont and France. A separate peace is obtained with Sardinia-Piedmont, then the main peace is obtained with France at a war score of 92%:

156758603_f6b41abc22_o.jpg

New factories and railroads are queued up in the new provinces in 1880 and the war chest is filled up yet again.

On March 4 1881, war is again declared on France and Sardinia-Piedmont.

Then, just as the Belgian army is occupying the last bits of French territory, the unthinkable happens:

156758622_04ffa181b5_o.jpg

Apparently 200 Badboy is enough to convince Prussia, a nation with a military score of 80 to declare war on Belgium, now with a military score of 300.

Three days later, the French decide to make peace:

156758619_83980b3259_o.jpg

Since I have this Prussian issue to deal with, I decide not to wait for a seperate peace with Sardinia-Piedmont beforehand. In 4 months France was completely occupied and forced to make a 100% war score peace. The future of that country is not looking particularly bright.

Troops that had been prepared long ago and kept in the deployment pool for just such an occurance are plopped down on the Prussian border.

Meanwhile, the troops in the interior of France march overland while the troops on the coasts are loaded onto transports and sent to stage an amphibious invasion of Mecklenburg and Prussia.

After the first wave of provinces seized by Prussia, the troops from France arrive. The Prussians are overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Mecklenburg's capital is taken in an amphibious assault, thanks primarily to the covering fire provided by the Heavy Cruisers. Their war score is pushed up into the upper 90s and a separate peace is secured. Also, Hannover, which had gone to war with their Prussian allies, is annexed.

Meanwhile, troops landing in provinces bordering the Baltic Sea, behind the main body of Prussian troops, march on Berlin. The Prussian try to pull back in time, but the capital is taken before they get there:

156758625_a2dcba2fe1_o.jpg

On December 30, 1881, the Prussian peace offer is accepted:

156758627_2ec5c38a3a_o.jpg

So who are you going to tangle with next?

build more zerglings! :D great work! and prussia blue is like the blue for terrans! and we all know what zergs do to terrans...:D:p

a update nice :)

Nice work on those Continental powers! Of course, now you share a border with the White Blob, and quite a bit of BB...

Such an unimaginable thing surely could never exist in the real world! This AAR is unrealistic! :mad:

anonymous4401 said:
Such an unimaginable thing surely could never exist in the real world! This AAR is unrealistic! :mad:

U mean a belgian enforced EU

I think you can convince alot of people with beer, chocolat, waffles and fries to join your ally ... :)

or do you mean this AAR

Yoy21 said:
:D good one. What game is that?
well its either Starcraft or the expansion of it, Brood Wars :p lol if only it could be nominated as PotM :p

Invading Prussia on VH? I applaud you bravery, sir. :D

the only time I ever invaded Prussia (As Belgium) was when I was invading the Netherlands and Prussia was allied. Luckily for me, they had broken their alliance with the other German states and they had no troops in their Western territories. I was able to take them all unimpeeded!

Soo, any news on how the bloodstain spreads across Europe?