• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very pretty map of Africa, though the color of Belgium is not the most aesthetic.

It looks like dried blood, an appealing colour for the scheming belgians. :p

Yoy21 said:
wait, whats the difference between a normal and colonial war?

A colonial war is essentially fought in non-state provinces (ie colonies - though not necessairly as obvious as it sounds), as iirc only non-state provinces can change hands in a peace deal. That is when fought between two civilised powers. A normal war is a hands-off affair. Colonial wars are also used to fight uncivilised nations.

WOW nice work i need to learn the game better

great updates i was afraid that you had abbandon it

anyway your back on track, and actually i like the red colour easy to recognise

great work, makes me proud(er) of being belgian :D

N0lan said:
Wow, cool.

Or should I say: Booooooorrriiiinnnggggggg.

One exploit after another, so lame.
You know, this style of play isn't my favorite -- I'm into realism & historicity.

But there is always an attraction to watching someone like Primus play the game as cleverly as possible -- letting you know such up front (i.e. being honest about it) -- using "legitimate exploits" rather than editing the save files, and taking on a goal as grand as global conquest!

There is probably nothing more instructive to a new player than seeing what all the little tricks are. Then he/she can use the reasonable tricks to make a realistic game/story if they so choose. I learned, partially, watching Memnon's Pharoah and the Prophet, which is similar to this style.

And Primus is really great at this stuff! So I do find it interesting! :D

Great job, Primus!

Rensslaer

Wow, I'm impressed, good job!
Did you just play with the troops to figure out how to get them there on the first? Or is there a calculation?
Really though, I never seen a Belgium that big before.

i concur with rens, im not a good Vicky player and i do find this AAR very instructive and enjoyable in the same time

Rensslaer said:
There is probably nothing more instructive to a new player than seeing what all the little tricks are. Then he/she can use the reasonable tricks to make a realistic game/story if they so choose. I learned, partially, watching Memnon's Pharoah and the Prophet, which is similar to this style.

Yep, Memnon's Pharoah and the Prophet was a big help for me as well. If I recall correctly, it was what inspired me to do my very first AAR. :)

1867-1870: The Long War

Belgium has a problem. A big problem.

This problem is named "Germany."

Now it hasn't formed yet, but if it does well... You can imagine. A giant grey blob would most certainly clash with the nice maroonish tint favored by we Flemish.

(Or should we still call it a Flemish nation, since, due to the conquests and colonialism, now 29% of the Belgium people are "African Minor" in nationality? Oh well.)

Of course, by humbling France and destroying much of her military, I have made the formation of Germany much easier. And it is now 1868. I forget exactly when the Franco-Prussian even fires, but I know it's coming very very soon.

And if I wait until the war starts to intervene on behalf of France, there is a good chance France, not Belgium, will gobble up all those German minors. We musn't have that! (This is what happened in my Austrian game by the by.)

So there is really only one option: a pre-emptive strike! The threat must be eliminated.

Troops gather at the border with Prussia.

War is declared, and all the German minors come along on the side of Prussia. Perrrrrrrfect:

152061928_5737a4193f_o.jpg

The troops go marching in in the normal manner, enveloping as much as possible, arriving exactly on February 1st. (To do this, I usually just gather all my troops on the border late in whatever month I'm going to be attacking in, say, January 20th for this war. Then I declare war, and right click to move them in, see what date it gives me, then just wait around until they date it gives for their arrival is exactly February 1st):

152061929_f3575d8868_o.jpg

As you can see, I have them somewhat outnumbered in this initial push.

The war went far from perfectly, due mostly to my ineptitude and lack of attention to detail. Though eventually the primary Prussian army was encircled, it took a while and cost a lot of troops.

In June, Hannover asked for peace, and were reduced to only three provinces. (The magic number, you know what that means!) Also, western Prussia was overrun by September of 1868:

152061930_87c504cd31_o.jpg

Again, I must recognize my own lack of attention to detail in this war. However, in February of 1869, a year after the initial declaration of war, the main Prussian army at Koblenz, consisting of 24+ divisions, was finally encircled and destroyed. This opens up the possibility of marching on Berlin from the south.

Likewise, in Nienburg, a large Prussian army of 15 divisions is losing rapidly, opening the door to a march on Berlin from the north:

152061931_bfb82e4f07_o.jpg

By this point, many of the German minors had been knocked out of the war by annexation or peace treaty as well. Prussia is at 93% War Exhaustion, and I am only at 31%. If the remaining minors can be knocked out quickly and then Berlin can be taken, the war will be finally over.

From this point however, the war does not go well. Bavaria is proving to be a major thorn in my side. I am forced to halt the main Prussian offensive to deal with the Bavarians. Finally, I secure a white peace with them, leaving me free to deal with the Prussians.

The war continues to drag on however, as the Prussians just keep seeming to pull troops out of nowhere. I am reminded of the fact that this is VH, and thus my troop losses are so much higher than the AI's. Finally though, all the minors are all knocked out, Berlin is taken, and peace is declared:

152061933_f658d44726_o.jpg

Shortly after our war ended, in April of 1870, the French and Prussians fought their traditional little war. However, considering that in my most recent conflict with Prussia their army was absolutely decimated so their military score is now at 40, France has a military score of 200, and Prussia already has 95%+ war exhaustion, I think I don't have to worry about Prussia winning this war and forming Germany. Likewise, the great German alliance was shattered, so France doesn't get to gobble up a bunch of minors.

However, all is not well for Belgium. The war with Prussia was disastrously expensive, both in men and money:

152061932_b8e6056ce4_o.jpg

Almost 400k pounds of debt, with interest payments costing 100 pounds a day. Ouch.

Will there still be time for Belgium to pay off her enormous debt and conquer the world?

That's a nasty debt to be sure, but not so large as to be completely crippling. Yet. Good handling of Prussia too.

how costly was the war exactly?

Dhimmi said:
how costly was the war exactly?

In terms of men? Well I started the war with 29 million, and ended with 33 million. But considering I had full healthcare and picked up a ton of provinces, that population increase isn't big at all. So a lot of people must have died.

At the end of the war there were 18 million Prussians left, 6 million Bavarians, and about 5 million in the remaining German minors.

At the beginning, there were 20.5 million Prussians, 6.5 million Bavarians, and about 9 million in the German minors.

So the disparity would be what, 7 million? And then I had a net gain of 4 million, so at least 3 million people died over the course of the war.

And that's not even counting the number of people who were born over the course of 2 years, so the death toll was somewhat higher than that. There were about 65 million people at the beginning in the involved nations, and if we assume a growth rate of .12 (mine was .15, but thats with full healthcare, so the average between me and Prussia was probably around there) that's what... over 27 months... about 2 million people or so.

So all in all, 5 million people died.

By contrast, 9 million people is the usual figure given for the casualties in WWI. But our army sizes are also way, way too big for this period, they are closer to WWI levels really, so maybe Victoria's model does a reasonable job of simulating something close to "real" war casualties.

As for the economic losses, I made about 350 pounds a day at peacetime, in the period preceding the war. So that, over the course of 27 months, is 283k pounds. Plus the 388k in debt, that brings us to 671,000 pounds for the total cost of the war. A pretty penny to be sure.

And that's not even counting all that lost economic development.

I'm still not sure if the war was a good idea. I think if I had it to do over again, I would gobble up the minors and then take a lesser peace settlement with Prussia, just gaining a couple provinces without taking Berlin or knocking out Bavaria. I know I could have done that in less than a year, maybe even 9 months, which would have more than halved the cost of the war and would have still been enough to prevent Prussia from defeating France and becoming Germany.

Oh well, what's done is done. On with the show!

judging from your post you did yourself more harm then needed wasnt it better to let the event fire and jump in then or declaring war a few days before the event?

lifeless said:
ooo an update! ouch. hope for bankruptcy?

Be careful what you wish for...