• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
subbed. It's been too long since I've read an Ikarases AAR.

Chapter IV: Belgelandian Shenanigans Part I

Our glorious fleet manages to catch a German destroyer flotilla outside Oslo and turns it into scrap metal in a matter of hours!

P4CiR0h.gif

In order to free our troops from the German hordes heading their way, we have to capture Bergen. The battle is progressing fairly well. Not being as lucky as units near Bergen, two French semi-motorized divisions are overrun near Kristiansand.

wsZlbxa.gif

The units from Bergen are promptly rushed to defend Oslo where heavy fights are taking place, as it’s the last defended Allied enclave on Norwegian soil. Oddly enough, a French infantry division surrenders to the Germans despite the outcome.

zbt6NRS.gif

In the meanwhile, Italians manage to break through the Alpine line in Briançon.

aCMGiw7.gif

Both assailants and defenders are battered in Oslo at the beginning of September.

ylbh6DI.gif

Here’s the situation in Africa. While British are supported by Iraqis advancing, French are losing ground to Italians on the other end of Libya. On the other hand, it seems the Italians and Ethiopians are winning in East Africa.

JjTTUuQ.gif

On the early morning of 9th September, last Allied soldier leaves the Norwegian soil and embarks onto transport ships. Numbers favored Germans, at least this time.

UJjy84p.gif

Just a few days later, Belgelandian troops are send to respond to the most immediate threat; Italians. Situation on the Alpine line turned out to be even more dire than expected and it was clear that if France was to fall, Belgelands would probably be soon to follow.

zfHdFAO.gif

On 22nd September, Belgelands was already in force on the southern front and ready to throw back Italians from where they came from.

02H29WM.gif

It wouldn’t be however until midst of October until Belgelandian troops rested, consolidated defenses and after that an assault. It was believed superior numbers would return Briançon to French hands once again.

1tUi5qZ.gif

Despite the battle itself numbered more casualties on the Allied side, numerous pinning attacks (mostly on Barcelonette) launched by combined Axis forces swung the balance into Allied favor in the final counting.

m1ZrlnT.gif

To prevent further breaches, at least on the French side, “Alpine Line Defense Corps” was set up. One division was to guard each and every borderline province and Briançon, as the most vulnerable, later received an extra division.

Bim8aQx.gif

Hardly wasting any time, the supreme commander launched an attack on Sardinia. Several Italian subs were engaged in its vicinity!

t7fomHo.gif

Unsurprisingly, in about a week the island was under Allied control.

q4DajSv.gif

SW4SdT9.gif

Seeing British and French having trouble in eastern Africa, our motorized elements were unleashed after a landing with no resistance in Mogadiscio to install a loyal government in Addis Ababa.

CbCCRAy.gif

On the New Year, a British infantry division landed completely unopposed in Oslo.

OPcRAor.gif

Not too long after this, Ethiopia joined the Allied cause and thus definitely ending any further Italian adventures in eastern Africa.

bTCPGoc.gif

France saved by Belgeland, as it should be!

France saved by Belgeland, as it should be!

Those Frenchies, always in trouble! :sad:

Why France, why cannot you defend your own borders by yourself? :p

Because I don't have level 10 forts all along my border, at least not yet :p

Don't you dare to lose Venlo...

I still hold it, although I'm afraid it has been leveled to ground after months of nonstop artillery fire :sad:

I still hold it, although I'm afraid it has been leveled to ground after months of nonstop artillery fire :sad:

WHERE IS THE LUCHTMACHT!! God damnit Ikar, you can't let my city go down that way. I'll have to punish you for this........

Chapter V: Belgelandian Shenanigans Part II

Germans try to probe our defenses in Bastogne, yet unsuccessfully.

a7Mx8gq.gif

Our navy engages several Italian ships. Oddly enough, it seems the Italians are bringing in reinforcements to Africa despite their ports are bombed to rubble and Allied fleets patrolling the coast.

t6b4KbZ.gif

OeGXUNB.gif

At the beginning of February, the British launch a full-scale liberation of Norway. They however stated that full control of the country would be needed to reestablish the former government, as Germans had the opportunity to bring in troops from Sweden as well as Finland.

GKmkEi6.gif

Meanwhile our troops retook Tunis from the Italians.

QVe0N0S.gif

As Italians were pushed back, several of their ships tried to escape from the nonstop port bombarding just to run into our navy. Everybody wondered where their battleships were, as those would surely give our, mostly cruiser based, navy a greater headache than destroyers.

YYsQF6k.gif

RM Littorio was spotted in the port as well, but granted it never really came out of the port, it was assumed one of our numerous bombing runs must’ve sunk this Italian battleship.

kxgR4Ni.gif

HWZBoA1.gif

HKqUOWI.gif

On 22nd February, Italian battleships finally made their appearance. Luckily enough, they didn’t have enough screens to deal more damage to our ships.

tu1RS07.gif

Some of our screening transports got shot up badly in this encounter. Yes, I use transports as a cannon fodder to protect my combat ships.

bYOX3Kv.gif

We notice that our newly established puppet isn’t at war with our enemies. We call Ethiopia into the war to help British with ousting out Italians still holding onto Berbera.

JOGTkJe.gif

The situation grows direr every day for the Germans in Norway, despite more reinforcements are arriving through Sweden.

jQo38fh.gif

A great invasion force is launched in order to seize Narvik. There are however no German units to oppose it.

n3U8uHt.gif

Friendly partisans have risen up in the area as well.

19hkMeM.gif

Wanting to stay out of any trouble by any means, Swedes gave us transit rights.

4RLgEio.gif

Trondheim was believed to be the last port that could supply Germans in Norway. There was no resistance opposing the landing other than some HQ staff.

Ajemxpz.gif

The western front is holding and the active front is now firmly in Norway. Hopefully you can liberate is from the Germans and put pressure on their northern flank.
The Regia Marina often screws up her ship deployment, sending them out in very small squadrons. You can probably take them on piece by piece, especially with air support.

Looking good so far!

The Regia Marina often screws up her ship deployment, sending them out in very small squadrons. You can probably take them on piece by piece, especially with air support.

Yeah, the AI is silly at times, unfortunately. But what the hell, the game has several years already :D

The western front is holding and the active front is now firmly in Norway. Hopefully you can liberate is from the Germans and put pressure on their northern flank.

Liberate the trolls in norweigan mountains.

Done :)

Chapter VI: Three Liberations

Several German ships are forced out of Trondheim’s port. Yet again, no capital is present and hence it’s an easy prey for our cruiser navy. After this engagement, their fleet retreats to Bergen.

qJYmJAb.gif

We encounter general Kurt Student leading one of the newly arrived garrison divisions from Sweden.

GjT0Yiw.gif

Such divisions are however no match for the mixture of regular battle-hardened troops we had to offer, especially while supported by tanks.

H8doAxU.gif

An amphibious landing is launched on Bergen. While most of the divisions lack training in amphibious assaults, sheer numbers are bound to overwhelm a single garrison division.

rxVodLE.gif

More transports are engaged after sailing out from Bergen.

6i2uBme.gif

On 28th July, after liberating even the most extreme northernmost lands of Norway, the original government is reinstated to Oslo.

0DzUKKC.gif

On 22nd August 1941, a whole army worth of troops is assembled to Rotterdam to start the invasion of Denmark.

T2rC6hV.gif

Germans are however not making it easy for us. A motorized infantry division makes its stand in Flensburg.

ZLdyAz8.gif

bNzUGLJ.gif

More and more German divisions arrive day by day.

FI1935B.gif

Germans retreat from Leck to Heide. The battle is fairly even.

xor0txY.gif

Several German destroyers and transports try to sail out from Kiel, yet to no avail.

3zNBarn.gif

Germans unleash their heavy armor upon us at the beginning of September. Luckily enough, terrain doesn’t favor them.

wmDthCM.gif

We discover that Copenhagen is guarder only by a weak German garrison division. It should be forced out of the city in no time.

KLWMeEM.gif

It proves that supply starts to be an issue. Hopefully this will change after port of Copenhagen is fully operational.

CukywJU.gif

A lone destroyer flotilla is engaged and sunk in Skagerrack.

uxKEvp2.gif

In the midst of September, we notice Germans landed in Trondheim with a single infantry division. It’s decided we quickly retake the port, granted the Norwegian army consists of a single militia brigade, British expeditionary tank division and several British expeditionary HQs, all of which are hopelessly running around. And for whatever reason, the tank division is currently located in Sweden.

EjcNaBE.gif

Despite having transports, Germans seem to be lacking convoys. Landing proves to be surprisingly easy.

yOjDfcp.gif

The “invasion fleet” is sunk shortly afterwards.

zNcrIqh.gif

At the end of September, the front establishes at the Kiel Channel.

wTpjlXd.gif

We also notice that French are liberating Albania!

oCWuapU.gif

Well done liberating Norway and invading Denmark, that will create problems for the Germans.
Time to call for a general advance by the French army I say

Well done liberating Norway and invading Denmark, that will create problems for the Germans.
Time to call for a general advance by the French army I say

They actually will advance in the next update. In both directions, if you know what I mean.

Kriegsmarine still exists? :p
Can battles occur on the neutral soil of Sweden?

Probably not as a unified fleet though. And no, even when this... faceless nation would somehow deserve that :D

Chapter VII: Invasion of Italy

At the end of the year 1941, we decide to ripple the Italian waters and begin the preparation of the invasion of their mainland!

8Bqz04p.gif

Several Italian battleships come to clash with our navy, yet they are too unmotivated to continue fighting for too long and retreat to the port afterwards.

CTEGM5E.gif

The start of the invasion is in Taranto on 17th December. A lone motorized division cannot hold out against a corps of marines.

fjKrRXs.gif

Two Italian battleships and a destroyer squadron are sent out to intercept our invasion.

HwJPsMx.gif

We come out victorious out of this encounter, sinking an Italian battleship on the expense of a screening transport flotilla.

FnDXrhi.gif

The battleship and destroyers flee to Taranto just to be forced out a few hours later by our marines.

ktT56Rq.gif

The invasion quickly spreads.

tgswilp.gif

The Italians start to panic and a breakthrough is achieved on the border with France.

DJXuA1i.gif

On 28th December, a large Italian fleet is encountered.

4Fh5wMR.gif

While it’s a victory on a tactical level for us as the enemy is retreating, it’s a strategic victory for the Italians, as they’ve sunk almost third of our combat ships.

D5f8qNu.gif

The resistance stiffens on New Year as more reinforcements come.

ZKbPdpQ.gif

On 5th January, Finns decide to join the war on the behalf of Axis.

t5G8EPd.gif

Though battered, our navy is still strong enough to hunt smaller fleets with transports and several sea battles happen near the vicinity of Malta. We are later joined by the British.

2aVR3dm.gif

3d02rLN.gif

ui1txG7.gif

In the half of January, German heavy armor arrives on the scene.

FskTH4b.gif

And its impact is tremendous.

0nSEy73.gif

Luckily, a French contingent, including a lot of tanks, is sent to our help!

i7Z6FY0.gif

At the end of the month, the momentum swings to our side once again.

OkhbI4O.gif

Our motorized division wasn’t able to take Palermo on its own earlier, hence our experienced marines are sent to secure this last bastion of the Italian resistance in the south.

808OWAN.gif

It turned out Germans aren’t as tough as expected. Even their commander is using ineffective tactics!

WMnkaOW.gif

A few dozen kilometers away from the frontline, our marines are tasked with taking Napoli. The garrison retreats from the city after a while.

1J6wVws.gif

The frontline is collapsing.

zN88Qv9.gif

At the end of February, two German motorized divisions with armored elements are encircled in Salerno. They are however holding out bravely and wouldn’t give up after days of intense fighting, even if Italians couldn’t provide enough supplies later on.

xMEr36c.gif

9THTHCH.gif

I’d probably split up this chapter in two originally, but my game crashed and made anything I made past 1st March (auto-save) redundant. I’ll be sure to catch up soon though :)