• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(4271)

General
Jun 6, 2001
So what do you think so far?

In reference to the Diplomacy Demonstration: Behind the Scenes game? ;)

I really regret that we did not get game logs from all the players because, as you can see in just the first few turns, it would have been very interesting to know exactly what Austria was thinking and who he was sincerely trying to ally with and who he was just leading on.

I think this is a useful demonstration because I think it really does show that you can't just look at it like the chess board and plan your moves several moves ahead. Aggreements and alliances are liable to change at any time, or might not be what they appear. The power of two allied nations is much greater than any nation acting on its own, or even than two nations acting independently.

As you can see from this point in the game, there was a lot of instability in Italy (Just like in real life! :rofl: ) with three different leaders of the country in the first 2 years. That, and when players drop out of the game, are very disruptive. While that is very common in Play by E-Mail games, it's not as common in face-to-face board games, and hopefully will not be common on-line.

So, that's all I have to say about it for now. I'll be posting more updates soon. Feel free to discuss anything about the game here that you see fit.

I think it is smashing!

And, am looking forward to my, brief, brutish, contribution... :D

Keep it going....do keep it going please.

Yes, please continue.

I find it very informative.

A great chance to relive my moments of glory and debacle :D

and nice to see why my opponents did what they did :rolleyes:

heagarty said:
As you can see from this point in the game, there was a lot of instability in Italy (Just like in real life! :rofl: )
Hey!

Was not! I agreed with myself! (Most of the time) :wacko:

That, and when players drop out of the game, are very disruptive. While that is very common in Play by E-Mail games, it's not as common in face-to-face board games, and hopefully will not be common on-line.

Well? What happened in the Beta Games?
How many NMRs? I noted that a few of the Beta Testers were people who had dropped out of the demonstration games here...
Including one who dropped out of this very game IIRC :mad:

So? How many dropped out of Beta games?

Well, if by "beta games" you mean the ones HERE that we called Demonstration games, I am actually working to compile that data. :)

We can track different finishes for different countries, the rates of NMRs, etc.

If you meant something else, then I can't help you. :p

More will follow in this thread, hopefully two more game years will be posted Tuesday night. :)

czar1111 said:
Hey!

Was not! I agreed with myself! (Most of the time) :wacko:

I guess a version of the old Polish joke could apply here then: One Italian, three opinions. :)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to more comments like these, and perhaps an even more detailed AAR down the line.

For some reason, the keyboard on my home computer is not working. Diagnostic tools do not recognize it as being connected (Yes, it is plugged in! :p). Replacing it this afternoon. Sorry about the delay with the Behind the Scenes thread.

heagarty said:
For some reason, the keyboard on my home computer is not working. Diagnostic tools do not recognize it as being connected (Yes, it is plugged in! :p). Replacing it this afternoon. Sorry about the delay with the Behind the Scenes thread.
Too much beer whilst gaming? :p
- Keyboards don't handle their drink too well!!!! :rofl:

heagarty said:
Wow! They really were out to get me! :p

More to come....

You know the old saying: " Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you." :)

I'm not a big fan of the austrian 2-build openings, because they leave you open to the two enemies that are dangerous in 1901 and piss off the enemy that isn't. If he had run the hedgehog he would still be in the game.

If you do not come out of a defensive crouch early as Austria, you may never have a chance to do so. Better to find out if you have multiple enemies early. If you do, how many builds you go for will probably not matter. If you do not, you get your multiple builds, and can deal with the enemy you do have from a position of strength.

Of course, the best solution is to have no enemies, until *you* are ready to have them.

Karlburg said:
I'm not a big fan of the austrian 2-build openings, because they leave you open to the two enemies that are dangerous in 1901 and piss off the enemy that isn't. If he had run the hedgehog he would still be in the game.

I am "amused" by Lazboy-General's comments as France. "How can *I*, as an expert, be taken down by two newbies? How can they not listen to me when I tell them what fools they are being? Have they not even considered what terrible harm they're doing to the game by attacking me?" :rolleyes:

It's going to be a rocky road for Germany and England if they do not resolve the french situation totally next year. England especially seems to have gained nothing by the alliance, and unless Germany is prepared to give away supply centers after dismembering France, which does not sound likely, will have wasted the first two years and lost Norway to Russia. Nasty. Germany is leaving itself wide open to a Russian stab, too.

I'm just wondering if the players who are called 'newbies' actually consider themselves so...

From what I understand from the reports and the game (which is close to nothing) France is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances. But why is he blaiming Germany & England for the obvious? France is in a difficult position being in the center of Western Europe.

Well, Heag, that brings up memories...[sniff, sniff]. That was a fun game...not just because I ended up on top :) but there were some really good players in that one.

Brings back to light, after the past week, how much fun it is to play against humans.... :)