• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have to admit I had missed this work somehow, I started reading due to its strong showing in the awAARds and to say I have not been disappointed is an understatement!

I have devoured it right up to Duke Foulques' deathbed scene, it was touching to see him united with King Philipe one last time. He seemed to be the Iron Duke's only true friend and their relationship (and the Duke's unwavering loyalty to his liege) contrasts nicely with Foulques' rocky relationship with his own son.

I can't help but think he would have preferred going out on the battlefield in one last hurrah but there are worse ways to die than in bed as the realm's most powerful man (even moreso than the usurper King in most ways).

He has secured his place in history and left his son and grandson a great legacy while also having legitimised all his bastards. He may have been a user of women but he was fair to the results of his many dalliances in a way he did not have to be.

Rest in peace.

• 1Like
Reactions:
played a somewhat lewd song hailing women with wide hips and bottoms
Well done, you slipped it in.

Just as Alias managed to, so to speak. :oops: The problem it not just a mismatch of orientations - he is just 16, so doesn’t have the maturity and experience to deal with things more urbanely. And he seems to be genuinely ill, too. One hopes both situations will improve a little in time, if he is given enough of that precious commodity to find a way to work things out.

But for Geoffrey, it’s all really a sideshow. The next big game is Navarre.

Reactions:
Alias has grown up. And the situation with his marriage shows that he isn't going to be the kind of man one could have expected earlier. It is not just the matter of his preferences. More how he deals with it - and everything else.

If he doesn't grow into his new role - be that as Duke of Navarra or not - then he won't be a danger for the Aquitain throne anytime soon, but rather a man who simply wants to live unbothered by the court, in search of another stablehand who may suit him more than his wife.

Alias is still young, of course, which means he's still growing into who he will be. We're technically where Geoffrey was when this section of the story started - and he's come quite a bit in the years since. In some ways, Geoffrey's ambition grew as he progressed and was led down that path. Could Alias find himself pushed similarly? His wife is ambitious...

Quite the first line.

Ah I know the feeling. It usually occurs around the time I have to think about entering the workforce. I imagine every adult wishes to be a child around Tax day.

This could be the making of a anti Aquitaine power block.

Post A Funny (T&C Friendly) Pic Part III: The LOL Strikes ...

That's awfully cruel of Beard. But like Alias, now I can't get the camel imagery out of my head.

Out of curiosity, who did he marry? Is she the relative of anyone important?

At least Alias has a brother who can understand him.

Interesting that Ana de Periograd is still in Marguerite's service. One would think she'd have been cast aside when the Queen Mother befriended Elf. Alas, as we shall soon see, after years of the Queen suffering in silence, it is Ana's turn to be humiliated.

I'm surprised he hasn't given that Elf is pregnant.

*Geoffrey 1 whistles innocently in the background.

Marguerite lover her children to the point she is willing to torment anyone who is unsatisfactory to them, even if it is no fault of their own.

Awww. Marguerite is trying her best to comfort her son and he doesn't listen. This brings back so many memories of my interactions with my own mother.

Sigh, the Anjou curse strikes again. Poor girl. I assume Count Gui is the father. If childbirth doesn't kill her than her parents sure as hell will. You are so good at writing these big party scenes where you show off the nobility.

So paternal cousins in front, maternal cousins in the back. Though I suppose Small Fry would be both, though his links to Foulques are through his mother.

I thought the Church was where the Angevins put embarrassments. Poor Ana. Has to sit in the embarrassment section and listen to how girls with big asses are better.

You put so much effort into all these little details.

Like a man being dragged to the execution block.

Yikes. Poor Alias. You do a great job at showing us his feelings. Do you have any LGBT friends?

Your one to talk about daughters Foulquesson, given that one of your girls is married to her gay Uncle and the other is pregnant out of wedlock.

I am supprised Alias cares so much about what God thinks, given that he has the cynical trait.

I assume she was wearing a corset?

His experience is so much like his mothers. A shame she couldn't tell him how to endure, in large part because her solution was to just shut out the world. The relationship between those two is probably one of the most "normal." He doesn't like being around his mother and is embarrassed by her but he loves her and wants to make her proud.

I would think the celebrations occurred nightly in Elf's bedroom, the unborn child being the present for the party guests.

Wine in England and Ale in Aquitaine. It's a rather poetic metaphor. Geoffrey 1 would be proud.

This is something I've noticed in my game. As the realm expands, people who once counted a big shots are bumped down to nonentities.

I'm surprised to see Adhemar take such a prominent position.

As they should. As the family of Geoff's eldest sister, they should take precedence over Adhemar, though I guess they were put their to give comfort to Alias. It makes good sense to keep Foulquesson as far away from the couple as possible, and in order to keep him away you have to keep Beitriz and her children away. Geoff had best to apologize to Ancel as soon as possible.

I see the old divisions remain, in spite of everyone being related.

;). Your welcome.

Geoffery sure loves his milfs.

Nice little tidbit.

She dosen't seem to show it.

I agree. England was too far away to hope to maintain a Kingdom in Jerusalem. Are you playing with the new Crusade system, or would the Kingdom of Jeruslum be annexed into Aquitaine if Geoff wins the Crusade?

hehehehehehe. Giles would still have smashed.

Aquitaine could always use more wars. Lol I thought she was going to suggest something lewd.

It seems so dumb. And yet you are mentioning it, so I suspect something will come of this.

Kissass.

Simon is such a simp. Not suprising for one his age. If the girl is hot enough he will forgive her fucking Count Gui and trying to murder a child.

Yeah I'm sure dreaming was all Small Fry was doing when he thought of Aines. I'm glad you resolved the betrothal conundrum.

A show worthy of his father. And a touching wedding gift to the King's dear brother.

Awww. Geofery 1 would be so proud of his sons.

ugh Foulquesson. I'm not sure if bedding ceremonies were a thing in the actual Middle Ages. Hopefully somone who has studied the period could clear some things up.

Quite the tricky needle to thread.

Sigh what a waste of a good soldier. Foulquesson is a powerful weapon, but if he is not used every so often he goes to rust. And right now he is orange with little fragments peeling off.

Of course Sommorset is at the bedding. Nothing too supprising on the ladies end. Adelise and Aevis are the Queen's most prominent vassals, the Queen is the Queen, Beitriz is Geoffery's oldest sister, and the Duchess of Benivento is I believe the bride's mother, or else her former mother in law.

The poor girl has curves in all the wrong places.:(. Small Fry is proving to be quiet different from his diligent and kind father. He's quite fun to have around.

I just realized the parallelism in that. It's like what Geoffery told Alias to do during his wedding.

Ah my sweet summer child.

Hehe, arousing. Mind you once he's Duke of Navarre he will be more able to do as he pleases. Duke Guilhielm doesn't have to be that discreet because he has a whole keep under his control, whereas Alias as to hide in the stables.

How romantic.

"Please god start the war so I can get the hell out of here."

At least they have that much in common. His wife seems to have quite the disturbed personality. I'm surprised she hasn't figured it out yet. Maybe she's playing with her husband. Maybe she is that desperate for a child. I don't think Alias will be able to keep his attraction to men a secret.

That will not be too hard.

That was a great fakeout.

Indeed they do, quite often. Usually you are at fault for them.

On the one hand if she is an equal sovereign, he should not be able to prevent her from doing anything. It is especially bad to comand her so in front of her most prominent lords and ladies. On the other hand...

I actually agree with Geoffery. In the middle ages, travel was quite dangerous. Mind you I think he could have done things better. Maybe invited the English nobility to spend the time in Aquetaine and enjoy it's wine women and song. That way Elf could still appear to be in charge, serving as hostess, and protect herself and her unborn child.

Geoff is taking far more time to groom his heir than his father, or for that matter his grandfather, did.

Mind you she could do quite a bit with the guards. It's unfair to Aines, who despite her reputation as a harlot seems to have been faithful to Count Gui. Marguerite will be with three of her children, all of her legitimate children with Geoffery. She's probabaly made her peace with Beitriz, if their was ever a peace to be made. Frankly, and I base this on narrative rather than health, I suspect the Queen Mother will not make it back to Aquitaine.

Just when he thought he was out they make him stick it back in.

Geoff is trying his best to be understanding to his brother but my god is he acting like a dick here.

Your one to talk about responsibilities.

Or if someone else did so. A shame he didn't get a prettier wife. Then maybe Geoff would have done his brother a solid, though I doubt Alias would have interpreted it as such.

The pains of adulthood.

Overall this was a very good chapter. We got a feel of the grandure and splendor of the realm through the eyes of a tormented character. Given the hints you've dropped I wonder if Alias will be the character who goes farther than you anticipated. You usually have three POV's at a time so if Alias is entering the stage I suspect someone else will be exiting, most likely Marguerite. A young crop of nobels is already rising. Geoffery 2 will soon find himself being the old man of the realm.

My wife on that first line: "You and your drama." :)

Anti-Aquitaine power block? Don't give the overzealous threat system any ideas...

I imagine the "camel" crack was one of those things that came up in jest, but caught on quick among the "guys" - Berard is the oldest among them, but it's mostly the group that's within a few years of Alias. Glad the description stuck.

I think Adam's wife is the granddaughter of Philippe I through one of his younger daughters. Which would make her a cousin to Adhemar, ig Duchess Anne were actually Hughes daughter (but she's actually Gilles).

;) Duchess Anne agrees with your thought on Alias and brothers.

Ana remains present. She's been a pretty solid servant to Marguerite and she's not in a rush to be rid of her. It was probably made easier by the fact that Elf left Bordeaux to go with Geoffrey, so there wasn't an issue.

Geoffrey's been on good behavior, probably mindful of the mess getting caught with Sarrazine caused. With big things planned between the swearing of the oaths and the wedding, he kept things on best behavior.

I imagine Marguerite as having both love for her children and a desire to protect them, and also guilt over her own life choices and her marriage. It leads to this warped method of going after her in-laws.

It is not Count Gui for once, if I remember correctly. I believe it comes up at some point in the future, since she marries the man who did it, so I'll leave it a secret for now.

I would imagine after two kids of her own, Ana's not quite as trim as she used to be.

Sometimes I wonder if I go too much on the details. How much is it enhanced by having listing of nobles and the like? On the other hand, it can give more visual to the scene and can set up things that can be called back later. So I go back and forth.

I do not have any LGBT friends or family who I have talked to about their experiences. It actually made me a bit hesitant on this perspective because I couldn't go to someone else for reference. So I do hope I did not offend anyone with this chapter.

Re: Alisce's posture - I imagined something like that. Shapewear to make her look more presentable. It could not have felt good.

All of the kids had a different relationship with their parents, but Alias' was unique in a way in that much of his childhood he spent "around" a declining father and a mother who herself had health issues, who were focused on Geoffrey. The bit I mentioned about Alias not remembering his father's face is not figurative - he remembers his father in a mask but not without. So he was left to kind of grow on his own - which saved him a bit from both their worst parental habits. Of course it left him with other issues as well, but he had much less resentment toward both his parents. That stands in a bit of contrast to Geoffrey, who clearly has underlying resentment toward both.

I imagine the whole spectacle as something Geoffrey I would have enjoyed. It was well polished for a Geoff II production.

Adhemar's managed to gain a pretty strong foothold in Agnes' absence. He is Geoffrey's maternal uncle, and that makes him a safer lord to deal with (in theory) than his paternal uncles. He's also pretty good at his job. Of course, there's still enough discontent at times for Geoffrey to mention he's given half a mind to replacing him with Centolh.

As much as Alias would like to hope it was because Geoffrey was thinking of him, it was more likely Geoffrey was being petty toward his cousin and sister for the whole Guilhem thing. At this point he's realized Foulquesson's not plotting against him, but I think he holds some animosity toward Beatritz. He thinks she's tried to play him multiple times before - with the intervention against Bretons after Foulquesson got in over his head and the Guilhem wedding.

If those English divisions had healed, Geoffrey and Elf probably wouldn't have England right now!

And yes, it was excellent. I had to include some bardcore in it. Geoffrey has a type. And now as he gets older and more confident in himself, I think he's far more willing to be open about it.

Thanks. Ironically, I'd bet Alisce wouldn't mind if Geoffrey did have Alias spend a bit more time in England as a result.

New Crusade system. So it would be to restore the kingdom.

Gilles sired a child with a rosebush, so yeah, Alisce would probably already be pregnant if he were around in Aquitaine.

Well Geoffrey's probably not gonna waste too much time in Sicily unless there's something clear to be gained. That said, Alisce clearly is hoping for some intervention on her behalf.

Simon is young and while I (regretfully) have not brought it up too much in a while, Aines is considered attractive in game. She has the modifier, which makes me think she's pretty much considered a stunning beauty in the court. At 15-16, Simon is going to just think how much he wants the most beautiful woman in Bordeaux as his wife - especially since she's a Princess, and didn't cheat on him directly.

Yeah Small Fry was being tactful in some sense. We know he means he wants to do a lot more than her. And probably thinks he could in the future, given her reputation.

As noted above, I think the whole night would bring a smile to Geoffrey I's face. His legacy seems secure.

On bedding ceremonies - I think they were in practice with nobility. But the couple were left alone to actually consummate the union, hence Geoffrey here telling everyone to leave at a certain point. I could be wrong though.

I'm amazed Foulquesson is still alive to be honest. And he's not completely done yet.

On Small Fry - Herve, he is not. Remember he is Angevin - even if Herve ignored his worst impulses, Small Fry is the grandson of Aureade d'Anjou, who tried to murder Geoffrey I. So he's the Iron Duke's grandnephew. Great grandson of Ermengarde d'Anjou with father who was installed via claimant war and born of a de Limoges mother - he truly is Small Geoffrey.

Alias will have some more cover as Duke of Navarra. But he still has to be careful.

I did try to write Alisce as a bit desperate here. I credit my wife here for pointing out to me that she's got her own set of issues - she's a bit disfigured, in her mid 20's, childless and clearly unwanted by her uncle despite her supposed value and his unmarried other son. Just as Alias believes he is an unworthy partner in some ways, so does Alisce.

Yeah, Geoffrey doesn't set a high bar for such marital relations. And yet, he's probably cleared the one set by his father, mother, and his grandfather (at least with Haldora).

This was one of those "fake outs" that was natural because it's what pretty much everyone would think. Alias has no reason to suspect anything else, because to this point, that's been the main point of discord between them. (Agnes' death was the other but that probably wouldn't come to mind over the affairs) And yeah, I had to write Geoffrey as been a bit aloof to his own fault in this stuff.

I mentioned to a comment last chapter that there was a point where my wife agreed with Geoffrey, and his argument here was it. Even if he's still decidedly Geoffrey about it. As has been mentioned in the past - when Geoffrey tries, he can be quite charming. When he's just focused on himself, he's cold.

Geoffrey is trying to groom his heir, which is a change from his father. I do think Foulques tried... but it didn't quite work out as he planned.

Can't speak on Marguerite's future, but she is getting up there in years...

Geoffrey's relationship with Alias is going to often be filled with him "trying" to be sympathetic but unable to get past a lot of it. It's actually him being very much like his parents here in how passive aggressive he's being.

Glad you enjoyed it! I am not always one to dump a ton into scene details but I thought it worked well. In particular, the scene when the soldiers come into the hall just... I could imagine it, so it was easy and fun to write. As for Alias' future, I know he gets up to something. Can't say what just yet.

Alsice is definitely no prize, but she and Alias could conspire together. Alias and Adam did not get likeability skills from their fathers. The Bordeaux court has a large number of homosexual men in high ranking positions. Foulquesson has never met a friend; only foe past, foe present and foe future. How is he even alive? He must be tougher than even his father.

Conspire together you say? ;)

I've noticed Bordeaux has quite the court when it comes to homosexual characters. I think a bit of it is by chance, but then Alias (the late Count of Perigord) probably was as loyal as he was to Geoffrey because of his preferences.

You're right about Foulquesson. I blame his father a bit for that - he was the same age as Foulques the Younger and it was clear the Iron Duke preferred his grandson to his second son. And your guess is as good as mine as to HOW he's still living, given not only his illness but the fact he keeps getting wounded in battles.

Reading @JSB217118 was like being at the theater. @JabberJock14 is directing a play and @JSB217118 is an actor sitting with the audience. @JSB217118 is commenting on the acting and telling backstage secrets.

I do enjoy the analysis! I think he just reads the text really carefully and picks things up from there!

Thanks, though nobody tells me anything about what is going to happen. I am just guessing.

It speaks well to your powers of deduction. But I can confirm I don't tell the plot to anyone but my wife, who isn't on these forums.

Great chapter, with my own feelings about relationships, I feel some sympathy for Alias being stuck in a marriage with someone he could never love. Still, if he can manage to be discreet about any lovers he may have, and produce a minimum of two children he should avoid suspicion. One benefit of Alisce being a hunchback is that other men are unlikely to be attracted to her as well, so any children he has with her will almost certainly be his. Hopefully Marguerite doesn't terrorize her daughter-in-law too much, but that may be wishful thinking.

Thanks and I'm glad it resonated a bit with you.

A big if on all fronts with Alias/Alisce, except for the fact she's not exactly a prized catch. (That said, the realm is filled with men who probably wouldn't pass on the chance to lay with a princess, camel or not.) Their road won't be easy. Will it be successful? Time will tell.

Well, that's quite an ominous start to a marriage. Sadly, I don't think the stress is going to be all that much less for Alias in the coming days, though time and practice might make it somewhat easier to handle -- and, of course, it's unlikely he'll manage to keep his dark secret from his wife forever. And his royal brother is really doing him absolutely no favors here...

You are pretty on point with your analysis here. All of either true or likely to become true soon enough. It's really a mix of a lot of bad things here as you point out, and all of it bodes poorly for Alias in the long-term. Maybe he'll overcome it, but sometimes people do just end up in a miserable relationship.

Very well done chapter dealing with a rather delicate and complex issue. I do feel sorry for Alias. He should have been able to have a wife who would be desirable but then again given her condition Alisce may not stray but once she realizes the position she is in that could change. It was a good gesture for Geoffrey to begin the war for Navara. It seemed to give Alias some confidence and courage.

Thanks! Like I said, I hope I did not offend anyone with the portrayal because I don't know what it's like and didn't have a reference. Both Alias and his wife have reasons to be discontent with their union, but also feel they are not a prize themselves. It could make for a point of commiseration, empathy and friendship, or something else much worse. Alias doesn't cover himself in glory here, but he is still 16. And many 16 year olds don't make mature decisions when faced with uncomfortable situations.

Well done, you slipped it in.

Just as Alias managed to, so to speak. :oops: The problem it not just a mismatch of orientations - he is just 16, so doesn’t have the maturity and experience to deal with things more urbanely. And he seems to be genuinely ill, too. One hopes both situations will improve a little in time, if he is given enough of that precious commodity to find a way to work things out.

But for Geoffrey, it’s all really a sideshow. The next big game is Navarre.

I had to, given it was great and JSB went through the trouble of getting it.

OH I see what you did there. Clever, good sir. :D

You hit at a major point - his age really compounds things. He's just not wise enough yet to handle it, and at 16, being bound for life to a person who find undesirable for a multitude of reasons leads to some less than ideal reactions. And yes, he was sick at the time. It didn't matter though - they still agreed to the union! Which I do feel shows that Alisce isn't exactly a prized catch, even with her strong claim to Sicily! Whether he matures and learns how to handle it better remains to be seen - these types of strains can also cause damages. Alisce herself is a bit scarred from her life and first marriage for sure.

And yes, Geoffrey's onto his next big prize. With a few wrenches thrown in for good measure as we move forward.

To all - as always, your comments are excellent with plenty of insight into these characters. All of it was great to read. I'm glad you liked Alias portrayal, and to anyone who doesn't comment, I hope it met your seal of approval as well. Writing minority characters when you lack their experience can be hard, and I hope to have done it justice.

As for the next chapter, Navarra awaits. But as you might have guessed given the time, it's not a chapter that's going up today. Been a bit of a slog find my voice (mainly because it's a battle chapter and I've had issues with the setting/description/visualization of the whole thing). It's coming along, but I'm not sure how long it will take. Hopefully in the next few days, but I may have to push to next week depending on how the writing comes and things in my personal life go. Fingers crossed I can hit a groove sooner.

I thank you for your patience regardless. Hope all of you are doing well in these tough times. Thank you all once more for your support through readership and commentary!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have to admit I had missed this work somehow, I started reading due to its strong showing in the awAARds and to say I have not been disappointed is an understatement!

I have devoured it right up to Duke Foulques' deathbed scene, it was touching to see him united with King Philipe one last time. He seemed to be the Iron Duke's only true friend and their relationship (and the Duke's unwavering loyalty to his liege) contrasts nicely with Foulques' rocky relationship with his own son.

I can't help but think he would have preferred going out on the battlefield in one last hurrah but there are worse ways to die than in bed as the realm's most powerful man (even moreso than the usurper King in most ways).

He has secured his place in history and left his son and grandson a great legacy while also having legitimised all his bastards. He may have been a user of women but he was fair to the results of his many dalliances in a way he did not have to be.

Rest in peace.

No worries! I always am happy to have new readers aboard and I'm glad you have enjoyed it!

The Philippe relationship was fun for me to write for a few different reasons. There was always a bit of trying to get the edge on one another by both men, though it was one area Foulques was really out of his element. And the other big reason was how in real life they almost certainly hated each other due to Philippe stealing Foulques wife. In story it did, as you note, contrast nicely with Foulques relationship with Geoffrey, as well as with the other lords. For the most part, all came to regret dealing with Foulques, or he with them. Philippe was the big exception to that (and Toulouse, he also stayed on good terms with).

I do imagine his end was a little sore spot for him, but his accomplishments probably did make up for it. As you say, he's the most powerful man in the realm in most respects, even beyond the king.

I think a pretty fair assessment. Foulques wasn't an angel or a saint - he was often quite the villain, but he had some honorable moments. Probably wouldn't be good enough to win over Haldora, or even Geoffrey, but I'd imagine the majority of those who knew him would think he was pretty successful and not much worse than those around him.

Thanks for your comment and I hope you continue to enjoy things as you move into the next generation! And the same to anyone else who has recently jumped aboard.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 263 - February 1137
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 263
February 1137 - Pau, Kingdom of Aquitaine

A gentle breeze blew through a field as Geoffrey sat on horseback, looking out at the snow covered peaks of the mountains to his south.

It was enough to rustle his hair, and though it felt good at first, it brought a chill to his body, so Geoffrey placed his hat on his head.

All was quiet on that morning, as the king, Prince Alias, and some of Geoffrey’s commanders sat on horseback a mile outside of the town of Pau. Geoffrey had come out to take in the view, and also meet with Mayor Frederic of Saumur. The Pyrenees were a majestic sight, rivaling the beauty he enjoyed along the coast of Brittany. Unlike with Brittany, Geoffrey knew danger lurked somewhere within that picturesque view - the army of Navarra.

“How are their positions, Frederic?” Geoffrey asked Frederic, who had recently returned from a scouting mission.

“Strong,” Frederic answered. “They have prepared positions which will force us to attack up an incline.”

“We’ve done that before,” Knud said.

“Flanking the position will be difficult though,” Frederic cautioned. “The inclines are steep. We will be funneled through an area wide enough to bring a good number to the front, but we will not be able to use the whole of our forces. And it will all be frontal assaults.”

“Charging uphill will not be easy, especially if we must move through throngs of our own men,” Alias noted. But to that Frederic shook his head.

“Charging will be impossible,” Frederic said. “Even when the incline is more gentle, the terrain is broken - rough and uneven. Any charge on horseback will have trouble gaining momentum and power.”

“Then we dismount and attack on foot?” Berard asked. “Like the king had them do against the Bretons?’

“It is certainly an idea,” Frederic said. “We will need the numbers. Their rabble will have an advantage because of their position - it won’t take much training to poke their spears at our men.”

“But it will take stamina and training to overcome that position,” Geoffrey mused. “Which… maybe a third of our men have.”

“I wish I had better news, my king,” Frederic said.

Geoffrey sighed as he turned his gaze back toward the mountains once more. It appeared his ego and bluster had made his situation more difficult than it needed to be.

Against England, it had been Bordeaux falling under a surprise siege and him having to turn around and delay his invasion of the Isles for a time. Now it was news that his enemies had marched north, coming up through the Pyrenees in the east. He received word just weeks after Alias’ wedding, where he had plainly stated his intent to war Navarra to install his brother as duke, making it clear their would-be subjects were ready for him.

Through the south of Gascony they moved, raiding villages and towns before falling back to the mountains, with their efforts coming to a halt in recent weeks in the lands of the Count of Bearn. They had not besieged any castles, but they still had done damage.

And to make matters worse, the Navarrans were not alone.

The Duke of Transjurania, the husband of Geoffrey’s aunt Ermengarde, had also been ready to aid his Navarran allies. Attempts to dissuade his intervention had failed and he had already marched into Aquitaine, coming from the east. While the duke had not stopped to besiege any castles, he had cut a swath through Toulouse, raiding outlying farms as he headed southwest.

“Perhaps next time, we should aim to keep our plans closer to the vest,” Berard had suggested after learning of the Transjuranian’s advance.

Geoffrey’s enemies each had anywhere from 5,000-6,000 men. If they could unite, the pair might be able to bring around 12,000 men to battle. Not only would that be the largest army Geoffrey had ever faced, the king did not have his 18,000 that he took to England at the ready.

Instead, Geoffrey stood with just over 10,000, neglecting to summon the full might of his forces. It was something he did with hesitation, remembering it arguably had cost Herve de Semur his life to not bring his entirety of forces.

But between Duke Adhemar and Bishop Edouard, he’d received word that the vassals of the realm were not particularly pleased with yet another conflict, so soon after spending the better part of two years fighting against England for the royal family’s benefit.

Since Geoffrey was again fighting a war that he swore up and down was for his brother, even if it was with the church’s blessing, the vassals were not thrilled to be giving their lives for his ambition alone. Too much of this, Adhemar warned, could spark discontent, or worse, especially since the English lords were now in the mix.

So Geoffrey had been left to call on primarily his own levy and even with that he had left some reserves in Perche, Cholet and Vendome. Aside from his minor vassals, he only called for his obligations from Duke Simon, Duke Foulquesson and Alberic de Perigord.

He had not even approached Ælfflæd with a demand for England’s levy, figuring that would draw too much ire for a relatively insignificant number of troops. And his wife was still angry with him over banning her from returning to England for now, and taking their children at all.

1137-Geoffrey-army.jpg

One advantage to not taking the full complement of his men, however, was that he could draw his forces up quicker. So when the news reached him the Navarrans had crossed into Aquitaine, Geoffrey did not have to take long to meet them.

The downside was this - being uncertain over whether he had the strength to attack a foe that was numerically inferior, but boasted a strong defensive position.

“Have you anything that we could use against them?” Geoffrey asked.

“They are in a hostile land,” Frederic said. “With a little more time, I can find all the passes in the region and we can essentially trap them. If we stop them from raiding, they will either fight their way out… or starve in the mountains.”

“Perhaps we should pray for a storm,” Berard said. “I imagine it would be unpleasant in the mountains.”

Geoffrey eyed the mountains and could not bring himself to smile. It was frustrating, and while Duke Simon’s scouts in Toulouse were keeping an eye on Transjurania, they cast another shadow on Geoffrey’s situation. He wondered if they might strike at Toulouse itself, or might turn on Bordeaux - either one would leave Geoffrey in an unpleasant situation.

“Have your men rest today, and tomorrow take them to scout the passes,” Geoffrey said. “If we can starve them out, then that’s what we’ll do.”

Geoffrey took one last look at the mountains and then motioned for his group to make their way back toward the castle that sat on the south bank of the nearby river.

“You know they wait for us,” Berard said. “They have to know we are present. They don’t run, so they may want us to attack them.”

Geoffrey was silent to that. Berard was trained as he was - both knew that any commander worth a damn would only give battle if he felt assured victory. If the Navarrans were willing to fight, they felt supremely confident they would win.

And despite the success Aquitaine’s men had in war, and dating back to Anjou before them, Geoffrey knew he could not take this lightly. They had shown signs of struggle in Brittany, even if they had overcome them. And this was a larger army than they’d faced there, with a strong defensive position. Caution was warranted.

As they neared the castle, Geoffrey could see a small group of men had ridden out just out ahead of the fortifications. Coming closer, the king saw the group was headed by his cousin Rogier, who had command of the camp. That gave Geoffrey pause, but that was countered by the sight of Prince Guilhem and Berard's son Savarics, which brought a smile to the king’s face.

When he decided to take Guilhem, who would turn nine next month, Geoffrey decided to entrust him to some official duties, acting as a page. And sure enough, as the king approached, Guilhem rode out to the head of the men, with Savarics and Rogier in behind.

“Father,” Guilhem began. “Duke Simon has said he has an important message for you. It is about the men led by the Duke of Transjurania.”

Geoffrey smiled. “Did he say anything else?”

“No father,” Guilhem said.

To that Geoffrey nodded. “Let us return to the castle then and see what our cousin has to say.”

While he was pleased at how his son was performing as a page thus far, he left nothing to chance, always having someone with him to hear the message as well. In this case, that person was Rogier, who Geoffrey leaned in close to in order to double check Guilhem’s work.

“Was there anything else?” Geoffrey asked.

“No,” Rogier said. “The prince spoke as much as Simon said. But Simon was concerned, however, and only wished to speak directly with you.”

“Perhaps Transjuranian forces lay siege to Toulouse?” Berard asked. “They were last spotted headed in that direction.”

“He likely wishes to pull men off to relieve the siege,” Knud said. “Or have you go battle them for him.”

“Or they head to Bordeaux,” Geoffrey added, just recounting his many fears with an enemy unchecked in his rear.

Wars not going exactly to plan was something Geoffrey had been slowly introduced to over the past half-decade. From Herve’s death in Huelgoat, to the English surprise attack on Bordeaux, to some of the initial struggles he had capturing Lydford, Geoffrey found himself having to adapt often. He had succeeded well enough to those challenges so far, but every new surprise left him wondering if perhaps this time, he would find himself unable to accomplish his larger goal.

And the possibility of being forced into some decision with Toulouse, and with it Poitou, or being caught in a compromising position between two armies was not something that left him feeling comfortable.

They rode back to the castle, overlooking the Gave de Pau, a river which flowed from the mountains to the south. Pau itself was far from the largest village Geoffrey had seen, but had settlements on both banks of the river. It seemed inconsequential enough, though Alias claimed he knew someone who he believed was from there. But since his brother had lost track of the man’s whereabouts, Geoffrey was simply left to shrug it off.

The castle was where Geoffrey had made his residence, along with his commanders and the prominent ladies traveling with the army. His mother Marguerite, chief among them, knew to stay out of his way, so she said nothing as Geoffrey made his way through the main hall and back toward a small chamber which served as the strategy hall.

There he found Duke Simon, along with Princess Aines, standing over a map of the region. The pair were frequently together thus far during the trip, with Geoffrey finding it annoying. While he had agreed to do this, both as a test for Aines and to appease Duke Simon, the more he saw his sister, the angrier he got.

Why should a woman who plotted to kill my son be allowed anything but a drafty convent, he found himself often wondering. He regretted being talked out of it in the years before.

But cancelling the betrothal now, just months before the union was to go ahead, was a fine way to have his powerful cousin angry with him, along with his mother, not say anything of other lords of the realm. So he was left to stew, and watch, to see if Aines would give him a reason.

At the moment he simply grunted at her: “Aines. Out.”

She frowned and gave a look to Simon, as if to ask for his intervention. Which just annoyed Geoffrey further, since his underage vassal of a cousin was in no position to do such a thing.

“Aines, my dear, your brother will want to hear the message with his commanders,” Simon said.

“As I said,” Geoffrey began, “Aines, out.”

Lowering her head, the princess made a quick walk from the chamber and back out to the main hall, leaving Geoffrey to shake his head at her as she did so. He then glanced at his son, who stood close to him - Guilhem had never been told directly of the plot against his life, but he had probably heard murmurs of it.

“Forgive me, cousin,” Simon said. “She was curious as to our situation. As she is to be my wife, I just wished to inform her.”

Geoffrey simply eyed his cousin. He didn’t doubt her curiosity, but it was his job to send her away, reminding her what her place was.

But then Geoffrey guessed Simon was currently incapable of that. He was clearly infatuated by her looks, to the point where Alias said he had the look of a “puppy” following her, while Berard chastised him to Geoffrey as a “lap dog.” It was surprising only that it was the rare time Berard and Alias agreed on anything.

And Geoffrey wasn’t sure which he liked less - the prospect of his uncle Guilhem using Toulouse like his fief… or Aines doing it.

However, Geoffrey did have one less family problem to deal with on this campaign. As the commanders all gathered around the map, though there was one notable absence - Duke Foulquesson.

The Duke of Brittany had told Geoffrey he intended to complete the conquest of his duchy by finishing off the Count of Penthievre. Initially, Geoffrey was on the verge of forbidding it - he wanted Foulquesson’s men for Navarra.

But Foulquesson agreed to provide his obligations, so long as Geoffrey gave him leave to lead the remainder of his men against the child lord. While the duke was still a valuable commander, Geoffrey could do with a war where he didn’t have to deal with his gruff personality, which had only grown worse as his body withered. Thus the king allowed it, and Foulquesson remained in Brittany, while his men came south.

And since Geoffrey guessed Simon didn’t have good news for him, he was relieved he wouldn’t have to deal with his uncle’s snark, or grandiose boasting of how he’d have whipped both Navarra and Transjurania three times over by this point.

“My son tells me you have news for me, cousin,” Geoffrey said. “So, what is it? The Transjuranians, I presume?”

Simon nodded. “They have moved past Toulouse and head in this direction.”

“They did not try to lay siege?” Knud asked.

Simon shook his head. “They never had any intention. It does not appear they carry siege equipment.”

“They could still assemble them,” Alias said. “But if they head past Toulouse… do they head towards Bordeaux?”

Simon shook his head. “No. As I said, they head in this direction.”

“How far are they from here?” Geoffrey asked.

“Three or four days,” Simon said. “Maybe five or six if they are held up by weather or something else.”

Geoffrey turned back to Frederic. “Did you get any indication the Navarrans realize we’re only a day and a half away?”

Frederic shrugged. “I did not see any. But I also would be surprised if we simply got the drop on them. We are over 10,000 strong and surely they had scouts in this town that told of our arrival, just as Duke Simon has scouts informing him of Transjurania’s progress.”

Geoffrey scratched the stubble on his face as he looked at the map. “They expect their allies to arrive. Either they will join their forces, or they plan to swoop down from the mountains to attack us as Transjurania does."

“The castle will block them,” Berard noted. “We can battle the Transjuranians, while the Navarrans are held here.”

“If the Navarrans intend to fight here,” Geoffrey noted. “But there are two other points the Transjuranians can cross and they are not nearly as well guarded as this one.”

“So we contest that crossing,” Rogier suggested. “And isolate the Transjuranians before the Navarrans can aid.”

“They’re almost certainly in contact,” Knud warned. "They might move as soon as we do."

“Even if they’re not,” Geoffrey began as he continued to stare at the map, “They have to have scouts scattered in the county. They’ll know the Tranjuranians are coming, and they’ll also know if we go to meet them.”

“The risk is great,” Alias conceded. “Do you think this was their plan?”

“I don’t know,” Geoffrey said. “But at this point it doesn’t matter. I suspect they realize the opportunity.”

“We still may outnumber them,” Rogier said. “And we must not forget, we have the blessing of the church and God with us. He will see us through.”

“I think we should be wary of placing all of our faith in God,” Alias warned. “Plenty of men have believed themselves blessed only to find they were gravely mistaken at the most inopportune time.”

“Do you doubt your brother?” Rogier asked. “Especially as he fights for you?”

“I just argue not to take any chances,” Alias said.

“And I will not,” Geoffrey said. “I have little intention of engaging both armies at once.”

“Should we withdraw?” Mayor Frederic asked. “We could fall back and call forth the rest of your levy.”

Geoffrey looked over the map. He was not ready to attack the Navarrans yet, given their defensive positions and the mountainous terrain.

But if he fell back, and allowed the link up to happen, then he would have to call up his men and his vassals’, causing more problems. Yet if he were defeated now, he’d have to call up those men anyway, and do so having the mystique of an army that had not been defeated in over half a century shattered.

“Frederic,” Geoffrey said. “You mentioned finding some passes. Are there any that will let you get somewhat close to the Navarran flank and rear?”

Frederic shrugged. “Not many. There is nothing good on the left of their position. My men did discover a path along the right of their position, but it is only good for horses for so far. So we could not charge down it.”

“But you could move quickly?” Geoffrey asked. “Then dismount and reach their lines by foot?”

Frederic seemed hesitant to reply but eventually did nod. “It won’t be easy, but yes, I think it’s possible. But I do not think we could take 10,000 men through there?”
“It won’t be 10,000,” Geoffrey said. “About 150. 200, knights and sergeants.”

“I don’t understand,” Alias said.

Geoffrey sighed and moved the blocks into position.

“The enemy will likely deploy along the incline Mayor Frederic described earlier,” Geoffrey said. “They will be disadvantaged in men, but with our men having to push up the rough terrain, we will have difficulty in dislodging them. However, if we were to get into their flank and rear, we could press them on two sides. Once we break their right, can press forward on the center and left from their flank.”

“Roll them up like a baker does his bread,” Berard said.

Geoffrey nodded and then looked at Rogier. “When is the earliest we can move?”

“If we hurried, perhaps today, but we would not get far before darkness,” Rogier said. “Most likely the morning is our best bet.”

Geoffrey counted on his fingers. “A day and half, if the weather is good. And Simon, you’re certain our uncle, the Duke of Transjurania, is three days away?”

Simon grimaced and Geoffrey’s stomach twisted. The young duke replied: “If they make good time… then maybe two? I think it’s unlikely, but… I am uncertain.”

It was cutting it too close. If he had any delay, or the Transjuranians made good time… or both, he could be the one who ended up getting attacked on the flank and rear. And if he could not break through, he would find himself up against two armies in short order.

He was tempted to reluctantly give the order to withdraw, and then summon forth the rest of his levy. It would be a bit of humiliation - everyone would know he’d made a mistake. But it was better than a defeat.

His heart racing, Geoffrey struggled to find the words to give the order. And as he tried to get them out, his eyes fell on the small block representing his cousin’s retinue, as well as the eastern ford where the Transjuranians were likely to cross to come to the Navarrans aid.

“Simon, how strong is the group shadowing my uncle’s forces?” Geoffrey asked.

“Near five hundred,” Simon answered.

“I need them to contest the crossing to the east of here,” Geoffrey said. “Prevent them from fording the river and reaching the Navarrans.”

Simon blanched. “You… you wish them to attack a force that’s nearly ten times their number?”

“I need them to delay the enemy,” Geoffrey said. “Just as they did when uncle Foulquesson came to their aid against the English.”

“So you want them to hold up Transjurania, while you arrive to attack them?” Simon asked.

“No, I want them to hold up Transjurania while I attack Navarra,” Geoffrey said. “I believe if we can rout the Navarrans here, their allies will turn back for a time and the road to Pamplona will be open. And if they do not, we will hold a strong defensive position and can rout them.”

“What if they attack here?” Simon asked.

“They won’t,” Geoffrey said. “The castle will prevent that. And moving to the west of here to cross will take too long. They have to cross there.”

“So you are to send my knights to die?” Simon demanded.

“I need a delay,” Geoffrey said. “They need not fight to the last man. But I need a day. Give me a day, Simon, and no more questions - I will give you my sister.”

Simon’s eyes widened and he fell silent for a moment. His eyes drifted to the map, clearly focused on the block representing his retinue. Then he looked up at Geoffrey.
“I will give you as much time as you need,” Simon said.

Geoffrey smiled. “Good.”

Simon bowed. “I will leave at once.”

But the king held up his hand. “Don’t get any ideas, cousin. Your father would be furious with me if I let you run off to such a place. Place the man you trust most in command. You will stay here, at this castle.”

Simon frowned and again looked at the map. But he did not argue.

“How will we fight?” Berard asked.

“As I said,” Geoffrey said. “We engage them from the front while Frederic takes a group of knights and sergeants to the rear. They are the hammer, our frontal assault is the anvil.”

“You trust the rabble to hold long enough for that work?” Knud asked. “I would caution against it.”

“I agree,” Berard said. “Perhaps let me take the knights of the reserve to add backbone to the line.”

It was what Geoffrey had done before in Brittany, ordering Berard’s brother Alberic to shore up his line. But here, Geoffrey didn’t want that.

“That will spread you thin,” Geoffrey said. “I prefer you provide steel where our situation is the weakest. We can’t know that until we engage.”

“Mayor Frederic had command of the left flank,” Alias said. “Who will command it if he leads the flank attack?”

Geoffrey knew his brother was hoping for the honor. But this battle, and the flank he would be the weakest initially was not the place for an inexperienced commander.

“I will go and hold the rabble in place,” Rogier promised. “Mayor Frederic, you will have as much time as you need to win the day.”

Geoffrey had no problem with that. Rogier had performed admirably when Herve had fallen at Huelgoat. And he believed that Aquitaine’s forces were God’s chosen - which meant he would fight with a fervent belief.

“I can do it,” Alias said. “You fight for me. Let me fight for you.”

“You will be with me,” Geoffrey said. “In the center.”

Geoffrey then dispatched Toumas de Najae to lead the initial fight to join with Knud’s attack on the right, to complete his assignments. And after he did, he could see his commanders did not have their usual smiles and energy.

They think this will fail, Geoffrey realized.

It gave him further doubts and a voice in his head told him to swallow his pride and retreat. Call forth the rest of his levy. He would deal with the discontent of his vassals later.

If I let them link, 12,000 men will wreak havoc on my countryside, he realized. I will be forced to fight them anyway… and it will not be easy then either. But if we win today…

Geoffrey turned his gaze to the commanders. “I know this has risk. It is not the type of battle we are taught to fight. But we do not always do as we are taught. Or as we are told.”

He looked at each of them - though Rogier, Toumas and Frederic held pretty spotless records, Knud and Alias certainly did not. And Berard was not afraid of questioning Geoffrey’s orders.

“As my cousin Rogier says, we place our trust in God,” Geoffrey said. “And know that should we win, we will have ourselves a famous victory, the likes of which Alexander and Caesar would be proud of, to say nothing of my father and grandfather.”

“Hear hear!” Alias said as he raised his cup to him. The others followed suit.

Geoffrey didn’t really have any doubts they’d follow him. But he wished to see the confidence in their faces once more, and it seemed to do the trick.

Which was good, because Geoffrey himself was far from certain over whether this would work.

….

Geoffrey’s sleep that night was restless. And the night after, as they closed on the Navarrans, he barely slept at all.

Doubts continued to linger - for he truly did subscribe to the idea one should not give battle unless certain of victory. Which meant the longer he doubted himself, the worse his worries became, in a vicious cycle.

It left him thinking about a withdrawal even more. But having come this far, he could not bring himself to do it. It would damage the morale of his commanders and soldiers. And it would likely anger Simon, who’s potential sacrifice of his retinue would be for nothing but the whims of an indecisive commander.

Once he’d given that order… he’d committed himself. For better or for worse.

It left him a bundle of nerves as he rode out to see the Navarran position that late morning. They were at elevation, but there was an area of flat land around a mile wide in between two slopes. That area held a village, which had been where the Navarran commanders had made their residence before joining their men on the steeper of the two slopes.

Geoffrey was able to view them from the gentler slope opposite them, while his men gathered around the village below. There was a mix of trees and open area, and it was among a denser set of trees that Frederic’s path around the enemy position lay. Overgrown and hardly maintained, it was not something he and his men would move quickly through, even on horseback. But Geoffrey saw no real alternative, given the strength of the Navarran position.

As Frederic had promised, there were steep inclines on the Navarran flanks - with their right, Geoffrey’s left, practically a cliff. It meant the only way past them for most of the army was up through the center, where they were formed up with spearmen and shields.

The slopes were fairly close together, so Geoffrey could both view his army advance fairly well from his position, and also ride off to join them when he was ready.

The battle started with Geoffrey alongside his commanders as they watched the two armies form up skirmishing lines. It was almost comical the disparity in troop numbers - Geoffrey’s archers came forward in a wide front across the Navarran line, while his enemies were congregated in what looked like a single line mostly concentrated in the center.

What was less amusing to the king was how poor the exchange was going for his men, given their massive advantage in numbers.

The Navarrans could shoot farther, which meant the Aquitaine troops were forced to advance under fire to close to a distance where their arrows would have an effect. And the effect was muted due to the difficulties in shooting at elevation - many of their arrows found either the ground in front the Navarrans or fluttered harmlessly overhead.

They tried to limit the damage by approaching in a very loose formation, but it still was an exchange which Aquitaine was coming away worse for.

“We should just launch our spearmen forward,” Knud told him. “We will come out the worst from this.”

“We need time,” Geoffrey told him. “You saw the path Frederic must travel. If all goes to plan, we will engage their front, get them dug in, then he will emerge from their rear and hit them.”

And if I can ask my cousin’s men to buy me time, then I can ask my own, Geoffrey thought.

He had to give his archers credit as they stood there and took the pounding, perhaps heartened by the fact that even if they were falling, the number of Navarrans was not that great and shrinking, slowly but surely.

Eventually the exchange was forced to come to an end due to a lack of ammunition. The two sides exhausted their supply of arrows and had resorted to shooting what had been directed at them back at their enemies. But the Aquitaine shots tended to result in arrows that were outside of the reach of the Navarrans, and the Navarrans themselves were reduced in number to the point where they didn’t return enough fire for Geoffrey’s archers to return fire causing it to simply peter out.

Geoffrey ordered his commanders to their position to prepare their assaults, while he looked on at the results of the skirmish. He saw lots of Navarrans had fallen in front of their lines - perhaps half of their original number of archers. But there appeared to be more dead on his side, some falling where they stood, and others falling down the slope.

It was an ominous sign - perhaps that he was to win this engagement, but at a high cost.

1137-Battle-of-Pau-1.jpg

Geoffrey crossed himself and then looked to his brother and Berard, the two commanders who remained, since Alias was to command the later wave in the center and Berard the reserve.

“I’m off,” Geoffrey said. “Berard, if you hear nothing of me, you have leave to take the reserve where it is necessary. Alias, since you cannot charge effectively, take our dismounted knights and advance them if you see the center waver, or if you see us make a breakthrough. Understood?”

Berard nodded. But Alias shook his head.

“Geoff, don’t go,” he said. “Let me go in your stead. I can lead the first attack.”

“That is my position,” Geoffrey said. “Out of the question.”

“You need to be here,” Alias argued. “From this vantage point you can see the battle unfold. And direct men to go where they are needed.”

“I normally do as I have done here,” Geoffrey said. “See the early stages and then once everything is set into motion, join the fray.”

“I’ve heard,” Alias said. “But this is different. What if one of the lines falters while you are engaged?”

“I trust Berard will know what to do,” Geoffrey said as he looked at his friend.

“No offense to you, Berard,” Alias began, “but Geoff, you are king. It should be your decision. Your judgment. No one else’s, especially as this fight may well sit on a knife’s edge.”

Berard shrugged. “If he wishes to go so badly, I say let him. If he struggles, then you can ride off then to aid him.”

“You won’t have to deal with my mother if something happens to him,” Geoffrey said. “I realize taking her was a mistake - she’s on edge, fearing one of us shall suffer our brother’s fate.”

“Battle is battle,” Berard said. “It can happen to any of us.”

“You don’t understand,” Alias said. “We fight against Iberians. My mother has come to believe the superstition that those who come to Iberia from the north are doomed to suffer a curse.”

“What nonsense is this?” Berard asked Geoffrey.

“My brother died in Iberia,” Geoffrey explained. “And King Philippe and King Hughes both essentially lost their kingdoms for their heirs as a result of war with Valencia. She thinks it may all be connected.”

“I thought you complained your mother believed your brother was called to heaven because he was 'too good' for this world,” Berard said.

Geoffrey shook his head. “My mother is worried about her sons, so she believes whatever suits her fear.”

“But you will heed it?” Alias demanded. “If I am to go second anyway, why not let me go first? It would be more effective for you to be able to watch and react.”

“The men can use my bravery,” Geoffrey said. “And this is safer for you. I will not let mother and father down by allowing you to die foolishly.”

“I am plenty brave,” Alias said. “I am not worried about mother’s ‘curse’ For even if it were true, we are not in Iberia. We are in Aquitaine.”

Geoffrey smirked at that. I can’t hide him. If he is to be duke, he will need to fight. Come what may.

Taking a deep breath, the king said: “Go. Fight well, keep your shield up and don’t do anything foolish. I need you to hold them, not break them. And if you need aid, send for it. I will come.”

Geoffrey turned back to his knights. “Protect my brother with your lives. You hear him - he is not wanting in valor. But we all know a man eager to prove himself may risk himself. Do not let him.”

“We shall protect Prince Alias as we would you, my king,” said Carles, one of Geoffrey’s knights replied. “Prince Alias, we await your lead.”

Alias smiled broadly and looked at Geoffrey. “Thank you brother. You will not regret this.”

Then the prince looked to Carles and the others. “Men! Forward!”

Shaking the reins of his horse, Alias galloped forward down the hill. Geoffrey’s heart was in his chest as he watched his brother go - knowing that in a short time he would dismount and take his place among the ranks of the soldiers. No steed or anything special to protect him besides his armor, which admittedly better than anything the rabble could manage.

Immediately, Geoffrey had regrets.

“I don’t like this,” Geoffrey told Berard. “I should not have let him go.”

“He’s not you,” Berard conceded. “But he needs to prove himself worthy of what you wish to grant him. And as I said, if he falters, you have the men you were ready to give to him for the second wave. And myself, of course.”

“I still hate just watching,” Geoffrey said. “I should be at the front, leading.”

“There’s still time for action,” Berard said. “I do not think this battle will be decided in short order.”

In that Geoffrey wasn’t sure if it was good or bad. He hoped Frederic would arrive quickly, once Rogier had engaged that part of the Navarran force. But if he didn’t… then he needed his forces to hold. The battle becoming a slog was probably for the best.

The Aquitaine forces marched up the slope, slowly. Geoffrey could hear men on both sides shouting and chanting, even from his distance. As they neared the lines, Aquitaine men had to step over the bodies of their dead archer comrades, and then their Navarran counterparts, who had moved several paces ahead of their spearline to engage in the earlier skirmish.

At the last moment, the Navarrans did charge down to engage with their spearmen and rabble. The extra momentum would give them an advantage, Geoffrey realized, and they made sure to maintain their lines well enough that the steepness on their sides prevented them from being flanked. If Aquitaine wanted to break them, they’d have to win a shoving match uphill, or manage to force the line at an angle where they could get to the exposed spear arms of the mass of humanity before them.

1137-Dual-battles.jpg

On the Aquitaine left, the king watched as Rogier led the men forth. It was that flank he worried the most about, since Frederic had taken a majority of the knights and sergeants in order to ride around the flank and rear. There were still some left with Rogier, but most of his forces were rabble, so he was left to use his knights and sergeants along with his personal charisma to hold long enough for Frederic to make it to the rear.

Still Geoffrey took no chances. He had Berard’s reserve on that side of the battlefield, ready to march quickly to stiffen the line if needed. But at least in the early going, Rogier was holding fast, doing his job of pinning the Navarrans for Frederic’s attack… should it arrive.

Meanwhile, Alias’ push in the center also fought to a standstill, which calmed to Geoffrey’s nerves - if his brother had fallen, the assault would break. If it continued, he was likely still doing well.

The right, however, was looking concerning. While the others were holding after a good bit of fighting, Knud’s assault was beginning to buckle and waver. If it collapsed, Geoffrey wondered if the Navarrans might pursue or hold back. If it was the former, he could send Berard’s reserve to counter charge and possibly destroy their line. If they held back, then they might shift men over to the center and shift the balance against Alias.

He continued to watch for minutes, perhaps longer. And the situation did not change, Rogier and Alias holding, Knud’s line slowly being forced back.

“I could go to Knud’s aid,” Berard suggested. “For either way, it seems that part of our struggle could use some extra punch.”

Geoffrey knew he was right. Unless the Navarrans were simply static when Knud’s attack fell away, problems would arise from defeat there.

But Geoffrey also knew committing Berard would mean he would be without reserves should Alias need help - or more likely, Rogier’s attack began to rapidly crumble. And Rogier’s attack was the key - to hold the Navarrans in place so Frederic could fall upon them from the rear.

He still had his own men with him, and the ones he had readied for Alias original second attack in the center. He could shift them left, but they weren’t as numerous as Berard’s reserve.

The king’s heart raced as he feared a mistake here could undo his grandiose plans. But if he did nothing, there were two ways it could fall apart, especially since there would be a delay in Berard riding to the reserve and then marching them up the incline to the aid of whoever needed it.

“Go to Knud,” Geoffrey said. “Hold their men in place. God be with you.”

“And you Geoff,” Berard said.

The pair crossed themselves and Geoffrey watched Berard ride off. Then a few minutes later, he watched as the reserve began their march up toward the right, as Knud’s line buckled. As the reserve neared, the right actually broke, as Geoffrey had feared.

But the Navarrans were light in their pursuit, perhaps because of discipline or perhaps because they saw the additional men moving forward to reinforce. Either way, the Aquitaine right stabilized, and the situation returned to a status quo.

Geoffrey’s eyes fell to the center, where Alias’ attack seemed to hold well enough. And as Geoffrey watched, he wondered if perhaps his brother was actually doing more than holding the line but actually making progress.

Or perhaps my eyes are influenced by my heart, Geoffrey thought, worried and hopeful of his brother.

Then on the left, Geoffrey did notice a bit of a buckle from Rogier’s men. They seemed to be losing ground, and the king’s heart again raced. He glanced quickly at the right again, as if to confirm Berard could not send aid. Then back to the left, as he saw the similar weakening and push back of the line that he witnessed with Knud.

They are going to break, he realized.

Again he considered moving forward with what he had left - which might be enough to fully stabilize a collapsing flank. Maybe if I take the archers too, he thought. They aren’t armored and have short swords, but they are numbers.

It might be necessary to give any backbone he could to Rogier. On the other hand, if he rushed forward - he might be running right to the edge of a cliff that was collapsing underneath.

The Navarrans opposite Rogier came forth to press their attack with more vigor than those fighting Knud’s men. But despite initially seeing men fall back, Geoffrey watched with wonderment as the line suddenly held.

Rogier is a miracle worker, Geoffrey thought. His bravery must inspire, as it did at Huelgoat when Herve was….

Geoffrey tried not to think about that - especially since he did not bring his full army to this fight either.

But the line’s integrity was not as strong as Geoffrey hoped, and it soon began to buckle once more. And Geoffrey decided then he would need to commit himself to reinforcing it with what little men he had left in reserve - himself and his own guard.

However, then Geoffrey saw something else. Men coming forth from the Navarran flank and rear on Rogier’s side. And a smile came to the king’s face, as he realized it was the attack by Mayor Frederic, arriving just in time.

Sure enough, the Navarran assault on Rogier suddenly slowed and then stopped as their men were forced to deal with the attack on the rear, undertaken by knights and sergeants - a stronger group on a whole than the rabble infused group Geoffrey’s cousin commanded.

But even those rabble were able to make a difference when their opponents were caught between two armies and partially encircled. Rogier’s men stabilized again and began to make gains.

Geoffrey’s lips formed a broad smile. In the center, Alias’ continued to make small gains. The sudden infusion of Geoffrey himself, and his guard would probably shift the balance there too. If most of the Navarran line collapsed, those opposite Knud and Berard would be forced back.

It was time - Geoffrey raised his arm and had his men ride down towards the center. Then they dismounted, pulled forth their shields and spears and marched their way forward, eager to join in the day’s glory.

1137-Battle-of-Pau2.jpg

…..

As night fell on the battlefield, Geoffrey stood among the tents and extinguished fires of what had been the Navarran camp.

His soldiers eagerly helped themselves to whatever supplies and valuables they could find, which wasn’t that much, but still better than nothing. And they made use of the camp, as well as the town below, as they celebrated their victory raucously with songs and chants that probably could have been heard for miles.

For Geoffrey it was a relief as much as it was happiness. Frederic’s attack had destroyed the Navarran right, and between he and Rogier turning on the center, along with Geoffrey himself adding more weight to Alias’ attack, that part of the Navarran line had been crushed as well.

Only the Navarran left, opposite Knud’s right, managed to escape in good order, pulling back before the Aquitaine left and center could wheel and trap them against the steep-drop off on their own flank.

The only downside was since Geoffrey’s knights and sergeants had dismounted, and were exhausted from the fight, they were in no shape to launch a pursuit.
In the morning, they rode out on any paths suitable for horseback, and went by foot on those that weren’t. Some stragglers were found, with mixed results. If the Navarrans held anything of value, they were captured to be ransomed. Some who weren’t wealthy but had some valuables were let go in exchange for what could be sold. And those who could offer nothing were killed on the spot.

Geoffrey guessed about half the Navarran army escaped. While it wasn’t a complete victory, however, it badly weakened his opposition.

1137-Victory-at-Pau.jpg

And news soon came from Simon, indicating his men had been defeated, but news of Geoffrey’s victory here had caused the Transjuranians to break off their march and fall back to the mountains in the east, fearful of Geoffrey turning on them.

But Geoffrey had little intention of doing that right away, for another mountain engagement was not something he desired. Instead, he marched his army back to Pau, to plan his next move.

“The Navarran army flees back toward Pamplona,” Simon reported when they returned to the castle along the river a few days later.

“What of Transjurania?” Geoffrey asked.

“They have headed off to the east,” Simon said. He traced a circular path around the Pyrenees to the southeast. “Perhaps to await their allies in Aragon or Catalonia.”

1137-Transjurania-moves-east.jpg

“Let them,” Berard said. “We will take Pamplona before they either reach us, or make it back to Aquitaine.”

“I agree,” Geoffrey said. “They cannot stop us from reaching the heart of the boy king's lands. We have them… it is only a matter of time.”

He paused for a moment to look at the map and the block representing Simon’s men. Then he glanced toward his cousin.

“Simon, tell your men they have the thanks of their king for their bravery,” Geoffrey said. “And let it be known I am sending them my share of the haul taken from the Navarran camp as a reward.”

Simon’s eyes widened. “Most gracious of you, cousin.”

It was and wasn’t, since Geoffrey was handing over his share, but he neither needed it, nor was it that much. There was more value in show of the act, rather than the loot that made it up.

“And one more thing,” Geoffrey said. “You can have my sister’s hand. You have leave to take her with you back to Toulouse.”

Simon’s eyes widened for a moment before a smile came to his face. He then bowed before Geoffrey.

“Thank you,” he said. “I swear that I shall treat her as a queen.”

“Treat as duchess, not a queen,” Geoffrey said. “For that’s all she shall be. Understand?”

Simon grew pale and then nodded. A nervous grin came to his face. “Of… of course, cousin. My king. It was only a phrase and I did not mean to…”

His voice trailed off and Geoffrey eyed him. So too did all the commanders present, as well as Prince Alias. Finally Geoffrey simply replied: “Good.”

“I… I shall beg my leave so I might tell her the news,” Simon said. “We depart from here once we are certain the Tranjuranians have left our lands.”

Geoffrey nodded and Simon backed his way from the area, the king watching him as he did so.

“Generous of you,” Berard said. “I might have made him twist in the wind a bit longer.”

“I extracted what I could from him,” Geoffrey said. “His household knights died to help win us a victory. If I went back on it after that… he could easily rally support against me. I have to take my chances.”

Geoffrey then plopped himself down in a chair as servants entered the area to pour wine. The commanders took their cups and stood around him.

“So then to Pamplona next?” Knud asked.

Geoffrey nodded. “Simon has the right idea to wait a few days to see what Transjurania does next. But assuming they do go east and then south, we turn west towards the boy’s main holding.”

Taking a sip of his drink, Geoffrey finally let loose a smile. And raised his cup.

“We have won a great victory,” he said. “It was no easy thing driving them off. Or even the will to fight it. But we did, and not just have won the battle, but I think even the war itself - thanks to your bravery and resolve.”

“God was on our side,” Rogier insisted. “I know he guided me. I think 10 men fell around me. I felt the wind of a strike against against my ear. A spear point managed to penetrate my mail, but it was stopped from my heart by my leathers and the wooden cross round my neck.”

Geoffrey smiled and raised his cup to that. Given Rogier’s seeming skill to turn reverses into moments of great success, he had little reason to doubt his cousin had stumbled his way into God’s graces.

“Perhaps you have a point,” Geoffrey said. “We move well together. It is as if we are guided by some link, or perhaps God himself.”

Mayor Frederic shook his head. “Perhaps God works through you, my king. For this has been your work. Your father won himself many battles, but such a movement was not something he would do with ease. Nor would he have taken such a risk. We were brave, but we were in a position to be brave because of your plans.”

“A flanking maneuver is hardly anything,” Geoffrey said.

“But the willingness to adapt,” Frederic said. “Using your knights as you do. The way we pinned their stronger troops as we did and used a route others may not have considered. That was your genius, your gift, my king. It is something to be proud of.”

“I agree,” Berard added. “And you showed boldness in your decisions. Even a fine plan can fall apart if the right man is not there to guide them through difficulty. We had that today.”

“And you had the trust in me to lead the assault,” Alias said. “Willing to put aside your ego for the good of the battle. For the good of the realm.”

“It’s no surprise to me,” Knud said. “I trained you. I always knew you had it in you.”

“Hail to our king,” Rogier said. “A more brilliant a strategist the realm has not seen!”

They all cheered to that and Geoffrey felt flush, almost embarrassed. And yet, he also could not deny his pride. Yes, he outnumbered the Navarrans, but that alone did not guarantee victory, especially against such a defensive position. It took skill, patience and foresight to achieve the victory he did.

Brilliant strategist, Geoffrey thought. My grandfather would be proud. My father… perhaps a touch jealous. And my brother… he would smile, just as Alias does.

1137-Geoffrey-gains-Brilliant-Strategist.jpg

….

That evening, Geoffrey stood alone in the bed chamber of a local merchant.

The relief of his victory having washed over him, he had to move onto the next stage of the plan. So he arranged a meeting with a merchant to provide some supply for his men to supplement their raiding of lands while they laid siege to Pamplona.

The merchant, Pierre, had been eager to aid the king anyway he could and naturally agreed to the deal. And as a sweetener, he was willing to let Geoffrey borrow his house for the evening.

The king imagined the merchant was surprised to be asked such a request - Geoffrey claimed he wished for a more cozy abode for a night as opposed to a drafty castle. But it was more for privacy, the reason for which opened the door and entered the chamber at that moment. Geoffrey smiled as Ana dropped the hood of her cloak and then shook free her hair.

“You summoned me, my king?” she asked with a sly grin.

After Geoffrey chuckled she hurried over into his arms, and planted a wet kiss on his lips.

“You missed me then?” Geoffrey asked.

“I was terrified for you,” Ana said. “Word had spread about how you were attacking a dangerous position.”

“Word?” Geoffrey asked. “You mean my mother fretted.”

“And I joined her!” Ana said. “Between you and my brother, I feared for what might happen!”

“It was fine,” Geoffrey said. “As you see.”

“Yes, I hear you are quite the… what was it… brilliant strategist?” Ana asked.

“My mother again?” Geoffrey asked.

“Berard,” Ana said. “He was not quiet in his praise of you. But then most are impressed.”

The sound of that made Geoffrey smile again. “Are you not?”

“I always knew you were brilliant,” Ana said. “But I am as equally impressed that you convinced the merchant to give up his home to you.”

“It is only for a night,” Geoffrey said. “I wanted to be alone with you.”

“And Rogier and Frederic with Berard in the hall?” Ana asked.

“They know to be quiet, as your brother does,” Geoffrey said. “Alias… I didn’t want him to know.”

“You should have sent him to the camel,” Ana said.

“He earned a reprieve for a few nights after the battle,” Geoffrey said. “It’s the least of what I could do.”

Ana smiled and pressed herself close to him.

“You should let your wife go back to England so I could have you all the time,” Ana said.

“She will go,” Geoffrey said. “But I can’t do anything rash… no matter how tempting. Besides, you are here. She is not. That is all that matters.”

“Do you love her?” Ana asked.

“Not like I do you,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t think she could appreciate this… as you do.”

Ana kissed him once more, and he pulled at her clothing.

He had refrained from this while he was fighting for England, and when he was with Ælfflæd. But he had his needs, and the queen was back in Bordeaux, pregnant, and unable to be touched as often as he'd like. After she gave birth, she would not tolerate coming south - she would want to go back to England.

And, he wasn’t lying to Ana when he spoke of appreciation. Would Ælfflæd care if Geoffrey had won a victory like this? Maybe… if it saved her from peril or won her a kingdom. But otherwise?

Ana always cared. Ana was always impressed by his success. She was always impressed by him.

And after the plaudits he had just earned, Geoffrey could not help but feel it was no less than he deserved.

Notes:

1. Was riding without my editor this time. My wife had some semi-emergency surgery, which went well and she's thankfully home recovering. But she's unable to follow the text at the moment and give feedback. Hopefully she'll be good for the next chapter and hopefully this chapter was still OK.

2. As you can see, Transjurania forces were somewhat close. I painted them a touch closer than they got but CK2's battles last for weeks, rather than hours. So had Toulouse not been there to intercept, there's a solid chance they'd have arrived to join the fight. Given it was in mountain terrain, it could have resulted in defeat.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
1. Was riding without my editor this time. My wife had some semi-emergency surgery, which went well and she's thankfully home recovering. But she's unable to follow the text at the moment and give feedback. Hopefully she'll be good for the next chapter and hopefully this chapter was still OK.

Ouch! Glad to hear all went well, at least. Here's to a swift and safe recovery!

They aren’t armored and have short shorts, but they are numbers.

Ah, the famed Aquitainian archers and their short shorts -- a fearsome combination indeed ;)

But seriously, yet another masterful portrayal of the tension that accompanies even the most seemingly routine of battles. For all of Geoffrey's worries, it is that very meticulousness and attention to the finer details of command and disposition that gives him the edge he needs.

Ouch! Glad to hear all went well, at least. Here's to a swift and safe recovery!

Ah, the famed Aquitainian archers and their short shorts -- a fearsome combination indeed ;)

But seriously, yet another masterful portrayal of the tension that accompanies even the most seemingly routine of battles. For all of Geoffrey's worries, it is that very meticulousness and attention to the finer details of command and disposition that gives him the edge he needs.

LOL. Whoops. Part of my normal process is to read it aloud to my wife and that's why things like that *usually* got caught in the editing process. Didn't read aloud this time, even if it would have been to myself, which is unwise.

Glad you enjoyed the battle. And thank you for the best wishes for her recovery!

So. This is it. My first post anywhere on any AAR. But i had to say it to you Jabber. You are brilliant writer. I read story of Angevins 5 times already. I don't know if that is because of you wife, talent, or something else, but your story is truly great. I read a lot of AAR's, a lot of medieval fantasy books, but If someone made a books from your tales - then I would buy it and gave it into my library between Tad Williams and Andrzej Sapkowski.

Now - from older stories. I am really fascinated with a relationship between Iron Duke, Geoffrey I, Agnes and Marg. From psychological point of view it was very likely for Geoff to fall in love with his sis because it was propably only woman in his life in that time to which he wouldnt have trust issues. He was not appreciated by his father ( as admitted by his speech with Robert) his best friend betrayed him with his wife so if he should fall with someone in love than it had to be Agnes. It doesnt mean that it was "politely said" wrong but that family start would warp anyone soul.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I hope your wife continues to be in good health, sorry to hear that she had to have surgery. Excellent writing as usual, and you really show the struggles of that battle well. As for it's results, they are likely a bit disappointing, though the fact that Geoffrey prevailed was consultation enough, and I'm sure The Iron Duke is proud of his grandson.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So. This is it. My first post anywhere on any AAR. But i had to say it to you Jabber. You are brilliant writer. I read story of Angevins 5 times already. I don't know if that is because of you wife, talent, or something else, but your story is truly great. I read a lot of AAR's, a lot of medieval fantasy books, but If someone made a books from your tales - then I would buy it and gave it into my library between Tad Williams and Andrzej Sapkowski.

Welcome aboard, and welcome to AARland! Feel free to check out some of the other tales and topics and share some of the love with our other great authors as well :)

On the subject of book recommendations: Have you checked out Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series of novels? Historical fiction set in 14th century France, in the decades between the suppression of the Templar Order and the beginning of the Hundred Years' War. Definitely worth a read if you can still find them anywhere; they originally written in French, and the English translations were reprinted fairly "recently" (i.e. within the past decade) .

• 1Like
Reactions:
That manoeuvre situation was one Napoleon would have been very familiar with - using interior lines to defeat opponents (usually allied coalitions that don’t coordinate so well) to defeat one or both elements in detail with superior numbers at the decisive point, though outnumbered in total strength. Simon’s little detachment did their job - unlike Grouchy’s unforgivable dereliction in the Waterloo campaign when he lost touch with the Prussians and then didn’t stay between them and his Emperor, and then failed to march to the sound of the guns. Geoffrey deserves his accolade here.

LOL. Whoops. Part of my normal process is to read it aloud to my wife and that's why things like that *usually* got caught in the editing process. Didn't read aloud this time, even if it would have been to myself, which is unwise.
Though Alias probably enjoyed those hot pants ;)

Speaking of archers ... I’ll just mention one minor technical point on the battle descriptions: it‘s very common and I haven’t said anything till now, and everyone gets the point (so to speak), but arrows aren’t ‘fired‘ and those taking volleys aren’t fired upon. That terminology only came in with the introduction of, well, firearms. A small anachronism, very understandable and common, but arrows would normally be shot, loosed, or some such. :) I’ll be more than happy if you ignore that and keep using ‘fire’, but thought I’d mention it in the interests of full pedantic disclosure! :D

A great chapter as always, there was the nagging worry of Alias getting distracted by those short shorts, and letting his guard down to a spear point, but he kept focused and emerged safely. It will be of interest to see if, with allies, Navarra can muster a field force large enough to risk another major battle, or it will just revert to siege warfare from here.

And Geoff had to lapse eventually, though maybe he has learned a bit more about discretion - another skill of his father’s that would be worth learning. Unless another child appears in nine months, which will be a little harder to hide ... :eek:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Man, it's never too late to learn something. I've never detached or intentionally routed a small force to occupy a vastly larger one in my measly 2k hours in this game to keep them off my main force, that's pretty inspired strategy. (To be fair... I'm almost never in danger of being outnumbered :cool: ) Well earned on the BS for Geoff.

Glad you are still going with this, though with less than 2 weeks to launch, I do have to ask what your plan is with respect to CK3. Not sure if it's been asked before and I'm too busy of late to read through all your questions and comments for the last year or so.

Well done Jabber, this is still one of the best AAR's I've ever read for any game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
that was very Robb Stark of you... to send a few to be literally wiped out, so you can destroy half the enemy army...

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You did pretty good for a chapter without your editor. How much of this was how the battle played out on screen and how much was your narrative decision.

Alias earned his spurs as it were. Maybe this will disabuse Marguerite, and the readers, of their belief in the Iberian curse. Geoffery will probabaly have to mobilize the rest of his army at some point. Navare's forces were not totally destroyed, and it's allies are still out their posing danger to Aquetaine. Still, I suspect the worse part is over.

Aines seems to have young Simon wrapped around her finger. While I am all for happy marriages, I can't help but feel this could bring trouble for the King.

The d'Uzes brothers are really growing on me, and on Geoffrey, I suspect they have great things in their future.

I'm glad to see Ana back, though Elf will no doubt not feel the same way. It makes sense for Geoff to bring along the people he trusts when he meets with his mistress, but is it really appropriate to bang Anna when her brother is on the floor right below them?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Best wishes to your wife. While another excellent tale, I am sure that your editor's input would have made it a tad better.

Thanks. Surgery recovery isn't fun, even for the so called "less invasive" procedures. And she probably would have had me touch up aspects. She's especially good at making sure the message isn't muddled and the characters don't stray too much. She's especially good at reigning me in when it comes to chapters with high personal drama.

Now - from older stories. I am really fascinated with a relationship between Iron Duke, Geoffrey I, Agnes and Marg. From psychological point of view it was very likely for Geoff to fall in love with his sis because it was propably only woman in his life in that time to which he wouldnt have trust issues. He was not appreciated by his father ( as admitted by his speech with Robert) his best friend betrayed him with his wife so if he should fall with someone in love than it had to be Agnes. It doesnt mean that it was "politely said" wrong but that family start would warp anyone soul.

Thank you for this sparkling praise, and I'm happy you were inspired to make that first post. You're not the first to say you'd buy it if it were a book, so maybe I'll do something with it in the future when I'm done with the story.

A good theory for Geoffrey I's eventual blossoming love for Agnes. She certainly was one of the few people in his life that always tried to have his best interest in mind, dating back to her attempts to mediate his disputes with their father or get him to avoid his ambitious plotting. It was certainly different from the other people he was close to in his life, at least at the start. Only Alias came close to matching that level of trust - in fact, I always imagined Alias and Agnes as similar characters. Ambitious people, but those who were pleased to reach the highest level of service. And bound out of a love of Geoffrey.

I do enjoy the character theories and analysis. I try to leave things somewhat open-ended, so that people can bring their own interpretations of these characters and why they do what they do. I have my own ideas, but different interpretations can open my eyes as well (and have in the past).

Thank you again for your comment and thanks for your readership. Reading this five times is quite something, given how long it is!

Welcome @Michal4444, every commenter has a first. It took me almost three years to find the courage to post my first.

I know the feeling to lurk. I've done it myself on numerous boards over the years. That's why I'm grateful for any comment - it's no easy thing to speak up, even for something you like.

I hope your wife continues to be in good health, sorry to hear that she had to have surgery. Excellent writing as usual, and you really show the struggles of that battle well. As for it's results, they are likely a bit disappointing, though the fact that Geoffrey prevailed was consultation enough, and I'm sure The Iron Duke is proud of his grandson.

We hope so too and thanks for your well wishes!

Thanks for the compliments as well. Looking up medieval mountain battles... not easy! I had to basically envision a fight trying to figure out how one would engage in a place where you really can't fight all that well. And in this case, it was more Geoffrey from a play-by-play role, rather than in the fight itself, so we could see the action unfold.

I was initially quite happy with the results. An instant victory was impossible, since the child king can't lead armies. But this cut the Navarrans in half and ensured that they and the Transjuranians couldn't form up into an army larger than the one I had called up. Attacking into mountains, it was ok. Plus, Geoffrey got the brilliant strategist trait, which boosts martial and stewardship, the two most important stats in my opinion. Foulques would be proud to have a proper heir in Geoffrey II.

That said, neither Geoffrey nor me was entirely correct about the Navarrans. They still had a good fight left in them.

That manoeuvre situation was one Napoleon would have been very familiar with - using interior lines to defeat opponents (usually allied coalitions that don’t coordinate so well) to defeat one or both elements in detail with superior numbers at the decisive point, though outnumbered in total strength. Simon’s little detachment did their job - unlike Grouchy’s unforgivable dereliction in the Waterloo campaign when he lost touch with the Prussians and then didn’t stay between them and his Emperor, and then failed to march to the sound of the guns. Geoffrey deserves his accolade here.

Though Alias probably enjoyed those hot pants ;)

Speaking of archers ... I’ll just mention one minor technical point on the battle descriptions: it‘s very common and I haven’t said anything till now, and everyone gets the point (so to speak), but arrows aren’t ‘fired‘ and those taking volleys aren’t fired upon. That terminology only came in with the introduction of, well, firearms. A small anachronism, very understandable and common, but arrows would normally be shot, loosed, or some such. :) I’ll be more than happy if you ignore that and keep using ‘fire’, but thought I’d mention it in the interests of full pedantic disclosure! :D

A great chapter as always, there was the nagging worry of Alias getting distracted by those short shorts, and letting his guard down to a spear point, but he kept focused and emerged safely. It will be of interest to see if, with allies, Navarra can muster a field force large enough to risk another major battle, or it will just revert to siege warfare from here.

And Geoff had to lapse eventually, though maybe he has learned a bit more about discretion - another skill of his father’s that would be worth learning. Unless another child appears in nine months, which will be a little harder to hide ... :eek:

Yeah, the game circumstances seemed to line out a move that warranted Geoffrey gaining brilliant strategist, so I endeavored to show in the story how that might have happened. Obviously, I had no control over Simon's Toulouse retinue, but it absolutely helped out in the gameplay as well as story. It legitimately might have won the battle for me, because mountain terrain can really tilt the balance if the numbers are nearly even. I don't lose battles often, but I do on an occasion when I underestimate terrain effects.

I appreciate the advice and correction! I'm always mindful of them - it will stick with me much like @Asantahene 's commentary about "no curtsy", @TheButterflyComposer mention about armor, and @stnylan use of anachronistic terms - that latter especially since it fits. I do try to be mindful of that stuff - I can't begin to mention how often I hesitate whether to include a phrase because it seems to have origins in a more recent thing that didn't exist then. So loose over fire will be used in the future. Thanks!

I've been teasing Alias wanting to fight and Geoffrey had run out of excuses not to let him do so. He's not a great commander, but I do tend to stick him in the role because he's Geoffrey's brother. It's a pity his best trait is intrigue though - I would never make him spymaster because that role just leads to a premature end for it's occupant. In any case, it's not the last battle we'll see Alias take part in.

I can tell you, the Navarrans will be back. They may not be in a great position to win, but that doesn't mean they're not going to give it everything they've got.

Yeah, Geoffrey was always going to go back to it, especially once he and Ælfflæd got separated for a long period. There's a level of... ego stroking Ælfflæd just can't master - even when she was happy with him, she tolerated it but didn't embrace it. (Not saying she should by the way - Geoffrey doesn't need any more ego boosts) Essa did it well, but she's gone. So Ana can kind of fill that void and reclaim her old position.

An aside, Grouchy's failure is probably my favorite what ifs of Napoleonic history, though it might be overshadowed by my big question of was why wasn't Davout leading those men instead, rather than stuck in Paris.

Man, it's never too late to learn something. I've never detached or intentionally routed a small force to occupy a vastly larger one in my measly 2k hours in this game to keep them off my main force, that's pretty inspired strategy. (To be fair... I'm almost never in danger of being outnumbered :cool: ) Well earned on the BS for Geoff.

Glad you are still going with this, though with less than 2 weeks to launch, I do have to ask what your plan is with respect to CK3. Not sure if it's been asked before and I'm too busy of late to read through all your questions and comments for the last year or so.

Well done Jabber, this is still one of the best AAR's I've ever read for any game.

In fairness, I didn't either plan it either. It was happenstance than the Tranjuranians walked into the Toulouse retinue... which has been oddly busy in wars they didn't start of late. They fought the English twice (I got credit for the battle neither time, btw - Foulquesson's victory there in aid of the Toulouse force did not go into war score because we didn't start the engagement). That second battle against the English I didn't mention as it was basically some 800 men total involved, but Toulouse won that skirmish and essentially finished off the remnants of Osmund's force.

But Toulouse *has* been useful in that regard, and they might have legitimately saved me from defeat in this case. It's a trick I've tried on occasion in EUIV, but it definitely could be useful in CK2, perhaps even moreso, because there are no overruns. So accident of gameplay that I have given Geoffrey credit for ordering here - as you say, he had to do something to earn that Brilliant Strategist, and I didn't want it to be a flanking maneuver alone.

My CK3 plan is no plan at the moment. I won't be getting it day 1, which has to do with a variety of factors (cost, computer quality etc.). I'll almost certainly pick it up eventually if able, but that won't be for a while. I was hoping to be finished with this story by the time CK3 came out, but that's not happening, obviously. So I do wonder how many readers will shift away from it, since it won't be "THE" CK game anymore. I imagine I won't pick up too many new readers. But that's OK, my goal is just to get this story done with a quality finish.

Thank you again for that high compliment. I do appreciate it.

that was very Robb Stark of you... to send a few to be literally wiped out, so you can destroy half the enemy army...

Heh. Yeah, Geoffrey gets the credit for what happened in game by somewhat chance. But it suited perfectly for him since he picked up the brilliant strategist trait as a result of his victory here. It's cold, though I'm not sure who it speaks worse of - Geoffrey for sacrificing the men, or Simon, who basically was willing to toss them away so he could get a guarantee he could marry Aines.

You did pretty good for a chapter without your editor. How much of this was how the battle played out on screen and how much was your narrative decision.

Alias earned his spurs as it were. Maybe this will disabuse Marguerite, and the readers, of their belief in the Iberian curse. Geoffery will probabaly have to mobilize the rest of his army at some point. Navare's forces were not totally destroyed, and it's allies are still out their posing danger to Aquetaine. Still, I suspect the worse part is over.

Aines seems to have young Simon wrapped around her finger. While I am all for happy marriages, I can't help but feel this could bring trouble for the King.

The d'Uzes brothers are really growing on me, and on Geoffrey, I suspect they have great things in their future.

I'm glad to see Ana back, though Elf will no doubt not feel the same way. It makes sense for Geoff to bring along the people he trusts when he meets with his mistress, but is it really appropriate to bang Anna when her brother is on the floor right below them?

It was old school. I didn't rope her in until the end of Geoffrey I's reign, and that was sparingly. It was only when I started with Geoffrey II that she got every chapter before I posted, and she tolerates it because she likes Ælfflæd. So it was like posting when I did with Foulques and Geoffrey I.

Glad you asked about the battle! I will explain more at the end of this reply.

I threw that mention to the Iberian curse as a nod to @alscon (and it's a neat little in game lore bit that does seem to come up over and over again) but I caution that Alias is right in one sense - this battle didn't happen in Iberia. ;) So... they might not be safe yet. You're right they're not destroyed either. Weakened is not defeated.

Simon is quite infatuated with his promised. As I mentioned last chapter, the game says Aines has the attractive trait, which I take to mean pretty much everyone agrees she's stunning. I mix that with teenage lust and an Aines who has some sense of intrigue (especially compared to Simon, who isn't exactly the brightest of bulbs) and it's a recipe for her to have a lot of control in their relationship. But even if she did want to make a move against Geoffrey, circumstances may not allow them to.

The two oldest d'Uzes boys (there is a third, btw, who is not yet of age), do have some fairly big things in their future. Some of which I control - but some of it I don't. In a game that is very much about lineage and legacy, it's actually impressive at how the descendants of Aines de Poitou fare - since that includes, Geoffrey II, Guilhem, Simon, Small Fry, Edouard and the d'Uzes. In some ways... I stress some ways since people could disagree... that the Angevins have become less about Foulques and much more about their de Poitou origins. Which, I guess is somewhat reflective of what actually happened, given the Angevins became English monarchs.

Let me put it this way - Ælfflæd and Geoffrey are headed for a major blow up. Ana isn't the primary cause, but she sure doesn't help.

Geoffrey's never been appropriate when it comes to his mistresses (or attempted mistresses). When he was younger, he could be shamed into not doing the worst, as the Duchess of Dauphine did. Bad experiences stops him from indulging all the time. But in Geoffrey's mind, there's no way he's going to bed Ana without Berard knowing, and despite Berard's nominal objections, he suspects his friend deep down approves of it. He's not wrong... though I will say Berard's feelings for the whole thing, along with his respect and loyalty to the queen, is complicated.

And now for the battle explanation. You asked me in private on battle tips, but here's a good chance to run through the process since you're not the first to ask about how I write them. I was writing this at the time, but now I have the completed version, I can show you how it went. However, if anyone else is reading this part of the response and not interested in it, or doesn't want to see what's behind the curtain, feel free to skip. I left a little extra gap between this part and the "to all" at the bottom.

So lots of it is narrative liberty. But I tried to stick to the parameters. I had screenshots to tell me the flow of the battle. It took place in mountains, and Geoffrey's flank under Frederic crushed his opposite number. Geoffrey's center also did fairly well, but Knud really struggled on his side. Frederic mauled his opposition flank, hence it was gone and he was able to turn on the center, which then turned and broke the struggle Knud faced. And in the post screenshot, you can see Geoffrey's forces came out the better in every aspect... except the archers. His archers got absolutely hammered compared to their counterparts. And no one of the commanders were killed and wounded from the Aquitaine side and Geoffrey earned Brilliant Strategist.

Transjurania was marching to join the fight. They ran into the Toulouse retinue, and by the time they finished with them, Geoffrey had won, the AI calculated it would be attacking a much larger force in the mountains and decided to march around through Catalonia.

That's the basics of what happened in game. So that's what I was working with. Of course, it's not perfect. For example - in game the battle is listed as happening at Pau, but Pau isn't technically in the mountains (from what I see - it's close, but not in it). So I have a choice, not have it in the mountains or not have it in Pau. I went with the latter, since I figured it's still close enough to the fight to be named "the Battle of Pau." But I still wanted to see what Pau was like, so I looked up the town's history and saw a castle was built around this time. It eventually became a seat of the Counts of Bearn but hadn't yet. (There was also an interesting tidbit about the count in the game and Duke Adhemar, but there wasn't space for it, so I think it will go in later)

Next mountain fighting conditions. I really couldn't find any contemporary examples of a big mountain battle. They may have existed, but even if battles were fought the details weren't always recorded beyond the result. So I picked a point around where I could imagine the fight happening and did a google image search. I found a place where I could see it happening and then tried my best to describe it.

Then the two other factors in how it would play out - Simon's retinue did alter the affect, so I either could have had it as happenstance, an unintentional battle that had fortuitous consequences, or a planned action by either Simon or Geoffrey. I went with the latter because it helped bolster the latter factor - Geoffery earning the brilliant strategist. It also gave me a nice opportunity to *finally* tie off Aines' marriage subplot, because the way I'd written it left me in a tricky spot with how Geoffrey would allow it to go forward. You probably know that better than anyone, given your criticism was a much needed voice of conflict that I might have overlooked otherwise.

So, I have my setting and my result. Now how do I get there? That tends to be where the liberties come in, since CK2's battle system is both simple in premise but complex in what can happen to any commander in the battle.

The flank commanders were Geoffrey, Frederic and Knud. But having gotten battle events with characters I don't have leading a flank, I know the game still treats commanders who aren't leading a flank as part of the battle. So I gave Frederic the lead of the flank attack and stuck Rogier as leading the holding force on that side, giving him something to do.

Full disclosure - I didn't *actually* have Alias as a commander at this point (I made him one later), but it made no sense for him not to be there. So I sent him along, and decided to let him lead the initial wave. I figured Geoffrey was still "commanding" the center, so it worked.

The game doesn't allow you a reserve, so Berard is always free to be literally sent where I need him to be - i.e. where it makes sense. In this case, Knud's flank was having the most issues, so I decided on that area was where Geoffrey would reinforce.

Frederic got the glory of leading the successful attack because his flank routed the enemy the fastest. So to explain how he did that so quickly compared to everyone else, I said it was due to him getting around their flank and into the rear. Again, that helped further the goal of having Geoffrey get Brilliant Strategist.

And the archer part was based off the results. Geoffrey's archers did get torn up - really the only part of his army that did. So I put that in the narrative, but since this was arguably Geoffrey's finest victory, it was a day when almost all his decisions served the larger goal of delivering victory. Thus, their sacrifice bought Frederic time.

I think that's about it! Honestly, it was one of the more complicated battles I've written, and part of the reason why I decided to wait an extra week with it. (In addition to the medical stuff with my family). But I know you were curious, so that's the process. Look at the battle, the results and any events that happened. Then I try to get a place where the battle can be fought, google the place, pick an image from the search and imagine the battle there. Then I try to piece together a medieval battle the best I can, trying to add something new each time, that will help me get to my desired result/theme. Hope that helps and didn't ruin the experience for anyone!

To all - Thanks for your wonderful feedback on this chapter, as well as your patience in me taking an extra week with it. Obviously, things have been a little hectic around here, but hopefully they will improve in the future. I am looking forward to the next two chapters because they feature some rather explosive stuff. Or at least, I imagine some explosive reactions to the events, because I didn't exactly like it when it happened. Very much a case of "be careful what you wish for" situation for myself.

Suffice to say, I'm not going to say things are going to go badly for Geoffrey in the near future. But he's going to have things to deal with, and not all will go swimmingly, or as he would like.

I would also to toss some apologies out there to the people who have been writing their own AARs and which I have fallen behind on. Hopefully I can catch back up once things are a little calmer around here.

Thanks as always for your readership, commentary and the support you provide. And an additional thanks for the well wishes toward my family! We do appreciate it!

Reactions:
I appreciate the advice and correction! I'm always mindful of them - it will stick with me much like @Asantahene 's commentary about "no curtsy", @TheButterflyComposer mention about armor, and @stnylan use of anachronistic terms - that latter especially since it fits. I do try to be mindful of that stuff - I can't begin to mention how often I hesitate whether to include a phrase because it seems to have origins in a more recent thing that didn't exist then. So loose over fire will be used in the future. Thanks!

That's one way to summon me, I guess;) :D

Really, really need to catch up on this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's one way to summon me, I guess;) :D

Really, really need to catch up on this.

Doesn't make it any less true though! I always remember it whenever I think of how my characters are dressing, armor or otherwise.

I think you'd enjoy this generation which does finally complete one of your long-standing desires for an Angevin place of conquest. (Actually, I think the next chapter or two will mention the official completion of that) It also features some English politics. So, like I said, I think you'll enjoy it. Or I hope you do anyway!

Reactions:
My CK3 plan is no plan at the moment. I won't be getting it day 1, which has to do with a variety of factors (cost, computer quality etc.). I'll almost certainly pick it up eventually if able, but that won't be for a while. I was hoping to be finished with this story by the time CK3 came out, but that's not happening, obviously. So I do wonder how many readers will shift away from it, since it won't be "THE" CK game anymore. I imagine I won't pick up too many new readers. But that's OK, my goal is just to get this story done with a quality finish.
That's a shame. I saw people still writing CK1 AAR's and I hoped people might still be enjoying CK2 AAR's long enough for me to build an audience. I wonder if I should give up and go over to CK3, or else convert it to a History Book AAR, which I could finish quicker. I have so many chapters planned and I don't want to give up.

• 1Like
Reactions: