• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Geoffrey gets some news about an important person as well as the interesting goings on in Europe (around him, obviously - no space for Scotland or the Roman/Byzantine Empire despite having political situations that would greatly interest the late Agnes d'Anjou).
You would think Scotland would be of intrest, seeing as it is on the border of what is soon to be the latest Angevin Kingdom.

It was all a formality at this point. England would fall soon enough. He’d even had Ælfflæd hold court in Lydford a month ago.
Good idea to get people used to their new monarch.

It was a way to quiet her a bit - his wife had been rather angry when she’d gotten word of how the town was taken. Geoffrey insisted it was necessary, and that she of all people should know such things could happen in war.
I'm guessing rather angry is an understatement.

Word had reached him of the funds she wanted to compensate the people for their suffering, and Geoffrey had approved it. The amount was a relative pittance to him, and he paid it with some of the money he’d taken from the Lydford keep after it fell.
Hopefully people only blame Geoffrey and not Elf, and accept the compensation paid.

Alias was usually the one who delivered news to Geoffrey. Normally, when it was mundane, unimportant information, he came by himself. But when it was something bigger, such as when Geoffrey’s half-brother Aubry had passed, Simon had come with Alias to deliver the news upon their return from Brittany.
Makes sense.

“News from Rome. Pope Martinus is dead.”
Hell Yeah!!

It made sense, but it would make for some nervous nights. Geoffrey was relieved to be done with Martinus, at least in this life, but Nicola would pose his own sets of problems. The man was loyal to Martinus, so even if he was a eunuch, and thus not a threat to bed his wife, he did hold the potential to carry over grudges.

“Send word to uncle Adhemar in Normandy,” Geoffrey said. “I want him here to discuss matters. And Prince-Bishop Emmanuel needs to be on his way to Rome, if he is not already.”
So you are still trying to claim Normandy?

My liaisons with Duchess Adelise suggested her peers may hold out for another year or more. But it is unlikely they will mount any threat beyond cowering in their manors and keeps, hoping we pass them by.”
Hehehe liaisons.

While it was regrettable, Geoffrey knew it was true. Alphonse had defeated the Mallorcans, reclaiming his father’s first conquest from a half-century before. He’d also managed a son, after three daughters.
Finally, a boy to continue the Capet line. Alphonse has retaken all the non Anjou owned lands lost to his father, and has even managed, in a round about way, to strengthen his dynasty. As it stands, the Capets hold Flanders, Paris, Malorica and Normandy. Assuming they can work together, a big if considering their family history, they could gain much more control over France. Speaking of French vassals, is Duke Giles still alive?

Geoffrey’s cousin, the child Boudewijn, had been defeated by their cousin Leonard of Paris. The Duke had installed the Frankish prince Yves, uncle to the lord of Paris and cousin to Alphonse. And Yves had sworn fealty to the man who had won him Mallorca.
I see the Capets have finally learned to get along, for now anyway. Leonard has a victory, maybe that will lessen the sting of loosing the French crown.

As much as Geoffrey wanted to begrudge his uncle Guilhem’s insistence to focus on the Kingdom of the Franks, the king suspected it might have been prudent after all. Not that he’d admit it, of course.
Of course he's too prideful to admit he was wrong.

“It seems as if he wishes to make a point,” Centolh said. “Where as it has been made clear you wish to make Iberia your own as the price at driving off the heathens, he will do it for no direct gain to himself.”
Unwise. One would think Alphonse has learned that altruism doesn't pay in medeval politics. Look at the Anjou, they never aid relatives, spurn almost every alliance, and they've come out on top.

He had heard about a revolt by the King of Sardinia, who owned holdings across both Italy and Germany, with his goal of breaking free from the excommunicated Kaiser.
So Aquitaine is officially the most powerful Kingdom in Europe, if not the world?

At this rate, the Kaiser may lose large portions of both Germany and Italy.”
Ripe fruit for Geoffrey to pluck? Maybe Alphonse will make a move. If he can achieve peace with Geoffrey, he might have an opportunity to expand to the North, at the expense of the Kaiser, a reverse of his father's first losses.

There had been some grumbling by the Duke of Swabia and the Kaiser over the fact that Ælfflæd’s sister, Æthelræda, had a better claim to the throne of England. Likewise, the Duke intimated that his son was the rightful king.

But it was something Swabia never could hope to press on its own - they couldn’t stand to Geoffrey by himself, let alone with the entirety of Aquitaine behind him.
And the Kaiser was unlikely to find the resources with his rebellion, nor support from anyone - since an excommunicated foreign emperor was not exactly better than a church-favored king.
It also doesn't help that the boy may not even be the Duke's, considering his wife's adultery. I wonder if the English would be more eager to accept a confirmed adulteress over a woman who was held captive by Muslims?

“A bit of scandal, though not from Germany,” Adhemar said. “It involves your old foe, the Duchess of Dauphine.”

“What of her?” Geoffrey asked.

“She apparently was caught in the bed of her uncle,” Centolh said.

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. “Truly?”

Adhemar nodded and the king could not resist a smirk. Besides the fact it was nice to know others could be caught in embarrassing affairs besides him, he did not forget the duchess refusing his overtures after capturing her at Murat some seven years before.
Uncle niece relationships should hardly be a shock to an Angevin. I guess she took that Family focus in an unusual direction hey hey

“Not yet,” Adhemar said. “She has an ally in her son on her northern border, the Duke of Transjurania.”

Geoffrey scratched his head. The name sounded familiar.

“He is technically your uncle, though he is a few years your junior,” Cenolth said. “Through marriage to your aunt Ermengarde.”

“And they had a son, recently, correct?” Geoffrey asked. After Centolh and Adhemar nodded, Geoffrey continued. “Interesting. I wonder… is there opportunity there? Maybe the duke could be brought under our influence?”
The Hapsburgs are still around, and marrying well, or so it seems. I doubt any of Geoff's Aunts will be willing to do his bidding if they gain nothing in return. The main branch of the family left them all out to dry, and the result was that the only one whose children improved their station died of an STD before victory was achieved. A cruel joke if you ask me.

“How shall we address the elephant in the room there?” Centolh asked. “That we did nothing as her son lost his duchy, and his independence, to the Capetians?”

“I don’t remember the Flemish lords being amicable to us, or her,” Geoffrey said. “So it is hardly our fault. Surely she can see that.”
Centolh is proving to be a suprsingly shrewd diplomat. Perhaps a gift from his mother, Ness?

“Speaking of relatives, I have another matter,” Adhemar said. “I spoke to an emissary from Hungary. Your uncle Charles searches for aid for your cousin Charlotte’s position.”

Geoffrey knew a bit about that situation. Charles was the youngest of his paternal uncles and aunts, the bastard son of the Iron Duke Foulques IV and Etiennette Karling. He had been married off to the queen of Hungary - a union which produced two daughters before the queen was murdered.

Now the young Charlotte struggled to hold her crown as nobles sought to oust the girl, born of a foreign father and an unpopular mother. And her father Charles had been recently imprisoned.

“Do I look in any position to send aid?” Geoffrey replied. “I’m sorry my uncle is locked in a dungeon but--”

“He is out,” Adhemar said. “They lost the land, so he was released.”

Geoffrey shrugged. “So their war is over? My cousin has been dethroned?”

“No,” Adhemar said. “That was defending against encroachment of a German lord with claim to some lands. Though they met defeat there, Queen Charlotte remains on her throne, defending against rebellious Hungarian lords.”
So Charles went back huh. Geoff ought not be so cavelier about a cousin being dethroned. A little girl she may be, but she is an Angevin, and her fall would be a loss of preseige for the entire dynasty. Historically medevil rulers would have to make some effort to aid distant kin. If Geoff is unintrested he should give her some coin to hire mercenaries and let her be done with it.

“I… why do I care again?” Geoffrey asked. “I’ve never met Charlotte, nor her sister. And all I remember my uncle for was his habit of leaving bastards in the bellies of servant girls.”

As Geoffrey looked around the table he saw the gazes of those gathered fall away, and he got the message clear enough. He tended to lay with noblewomen, but he certainly had entertained a few different maidservants over the years, and a few bastards, unacknowledged given their mothers’ low status, had been left in his wake.

But he was a king. It was a little different than when a prince, and a legitimized bastard at that, went around doing it.
Oh wow, where did that come from? You'd think the king would have more concern for those of his own children, even if lowborn, their wretched status would imply an Angevin can grow up in squalor. Plus Geoff ought to know that the more children available for dynastic schemes the better. Mind you I figure this hasn't happend in game and you just added it as flavor text for the maidservant lover trait Geoff has.

he wants aid. I repeat what I said before: do I look in any position to provide it?”

“You have nearly 9,000 men in Aquitaine,” Adhemar said. “That is over twice what Charles says they can put into the field.”

“You would advocate leaving Aquitaine unguarded?” Geoffrey asked. “After what happened before?”
You could just send her coin for mercenaries.

A marriage,” Adhemar said. “To the young queen herself.”

That drew Geoffrey’s attention. “Who do they want?”

“Prince Alias, ideally,” Adhemar said, turning his gaze to the king’s younger brother. “But if not him, Prince Guilhem would also suffice. So too would your sister’s bastard, Toumas.”
Sending Guilhielm off would be a terrible idea. Aines is not reintegrated enough to give her son such a reward. On the other hand, while Geoffery would not be able to execute her son, he could threaten to not aid Hungary if Aines refuses to take part in his plans. Mind you, the problem with that would be that Geoff would now have to aid Hungary, something he has shown zero intrest in doing. For Alias, I could see both pros and cons. A King in his own right would be higher ranked than a Duke, and yet he would be vulnerable as a consort. Geoff is already commited to England and Spain and is thinking about war with France. It is understandable that he would not have troops to spare. Mind you he could make peace on one of those fronts by arranging a marriage. He could also bolster his southern flank by financing the Kings of Iberia instead of conquering them, but that is not in Geoff's temperment.

“I suspect they do not wish to be ruled… directly by Aquitaine,” Adhemar said. “So they hope Prince Alias or young Toumas would provide a link but not the direct hand your son, who would then be king of perhaps three realms, would result in.”
One of which is indefensible from the others. Geoff is wise to keep his son out of this.

“My mother may have brought my sister back to Bordeaux, but I have my reservations,” Geoffrey said. “As for the others…”

“They would make me king?” Alias asked as he interrupted his brother.

“They would, once the queen came of age,” Adhemar said. “Until then, your uncle would still continue as he currently does, handling much of the realm’s affairs.”
Charles isn't the regent.

“That would not be for a decade,” Geoffrey said. “I would hope to see you wed far sooner.”

Alias swallowed hard. “I am in no rush.”
We all know how leaving Aines unwed for so long turned out.

“We will discuss that later,” he told his brother. Looking back to Adhemar, Geoffrey continued. “I have little desire to send my son to Hungary now for a betrothal. Perhaps the girl can come here?”

“They will never agree to such things until we commit men to their defense,” Adhemar said.

“A time table on when we would need to commit?” Geoffrey asked.

“Immediately,” Adhemar said. “Or, at least to secure a betrothal. They will not agree to it until a substantial Aquitaine force arrives in Hungary.”

“They are not in a position to negotiate,” Geoffrey countered.

Adhemar shrugged. “It is their demand. I cannot change it.”
This sounds like a desperate gamble. Geoff should wait to see how the war turns out, while maybe providing financial and moral support to the young Queen. If she wins, she's lightly beaten the rebelliosuness out of the Hungarian lords. If now well she will probably keep her lands. The marrige will not take place for a while so Geoff has time to plot. Even with Alias I figure he has at least a year before he comes of age, Geoff could always cancel another bethrothal.

Word had reached Geoffrey a few months back that the child king of Navarra had, by good fortune, inherited the lands of the duchy of Aragon, doubling the size of his holdings. It would make life more difficult for Geoffrey when he did turn his attention south.
I wonder if the adventure in Spain will be worth it. Sure the Kingdoms are small, but there are a lot of them so it is hard to keep tabs on them all. I suspect seizing Navvare will commit Geoff to a series of endless conflicts with just about ever Christian and Muslim state in Iberia.

Delaying Navarra to claim England was unavoidable. Doing it to help a cousin I’ve never met, for a vague promise of marriage a decade off… is not prudent.”

“So I am to be made to wait again?” Alias snapped
At the very least he could call off his plans for Normandy and put Charollete in third.

Geoffrey held Alias back
Symbolism.

“Our uncle seems to have a great deal of say,” Alias said. “He was a consort.”

“Because his daughters are left without their mother,” Geoffrey noted. “Hardly something to expect, nor wish for. His position is weak. He spent time as a captive in the past year!”

“I could do better,” Alias swore.

“You have no idea,” Geoffrey said. “I will be likely left to either defend or abandon you, since those Hungarians are unlikely to accept another foreign king.”
I have no idea how much say Charles had but I don't think Geoff should rule out the realm stabalizing after this rebelion. If the little Queen wins outright she will get the crushed rebellion modifier and have her rule consolidated.

“Yes, me,” Geoffrey said. “Myself. It is my choice what to do with my armies. I do not ask anyone else to lend me men they are not already obligated to provide. You? You have no men to call upon.”
Sounds very Foulques like. Sigh.

Alias shook his head, but stammered as he searched for the words to defend himself. Finally he said: “So you would give your son this crown instead?”

“I don’t know what I will do,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t think I want my son in Hungary, when he might well be needed in England, to say nothing of what I would give him in Aquitaine.”
Guelhielm has enough crowns to worry his little head over.

“I don’t know,” Geoffrey said. “That is my point. I am in the middle of a war to secure my wife on the English throne, and myself beside her. Then I plan to make you the Duke of Navarra, which will be harder than I originally expected now. I cannot, and will not commit to anything with Hungary now. I don’t care what they promise us.”
As someone who is writing an AAR about a similarly aged child Queen, I wish Geoff would give his kin more consideration. But I have to agree with him on this. At the moment, even the most kin conscious monarch would have to delay sending troops. In such situations I usually send financial aid.

“I don’t know if you should wait so long for marriage anyway,” Geoffrey told him. “It would be near a decade. I’m not sure that’s what father had in mind when he told me to find a place for you.”

“I think he would approve of making me a king, as he did his brother,” Alias said.

“His youngest brother, who was a legitimized bastard,” Geoffrey noted. “Who he didn’t have a place for… if you had not noticed.”

“More like the brother he had available at the time,” Alias said. “It does not speak ill of uncle Charles.”
He still made him a King. Mind you the plight of Bella should make it clear that Angevin wedding gifts are often laced with poison.

“Father had me,” Geoffrey said. “I was only a few years away from ruling. And you, even if you were a bit further. He chose Uncle Charles. If it was as valuable a place as they want us to believe, I’m guessing father would not have bypassed us.”
In fiarness, Geoff was already betrothed to Elf, and Alias was too young. Charles was the only Prince that was of age.

“Good,” Geoffrey replied. “Now I do have to start searching for a marriage candidate for you. I want you to be wed before you ascend in Navarra. I will look at our cousin, Etiennette, second daughter of King Alphonse of the Franks. But if you can think of another choice, I am open to it.”
I take it the older girl was already wed? I see little point in Geoff wedding his brother to Alphonse's daughter while plotting to seize his territories, and allowing his vassals to do the same. Unless he is planning to take the French throne for Alias, which in that case why bother nipping off scraps?

Alias swallowed hard once more. “Uh… yes. But do they not align against us?”
He definitely has some sort of issue with women. I think you ruled out homosexuality and having a lover, so I don't know what it might be.

Soon enough he would stand triumphant over England. And perhaps a great deal more as well.
Things are coming up Angevin.

Overall this was a good update chapter. Tensions are brewing between the brothers. This might lead to another murder plot. You said Aines does something in the future. I'd wager she either rats Alias out or joins him. Geoff feels overextended, but these are problems of his own making. While he faces policy threats in all directions he is the one ruling out resolving them peacefully. This is the problem of the tradtional Angevin policy against alliances. A measure meant to limit military commitments in fact guarentees more military commitments. In the past the Angevins have justified this by gaining land in those wars. But as the Kingdom expands it faces more and more threats, I suspect many future wars will be defensive in nature.

Geoff seems to have taken Aines's return suprisingly well, considering she got pregnant out of wedlock twice and tried to murder his son.

I know Geoff doesn't care about Scotland or England, but could we readers have an update. At least tell us if the Scotish Civl War has ended, it's been ongoing since Agnes died, which seems like forever ago.

Reactions:
No spoiler please.

In the last 6 or 7 days I have read your AAR. I'm in chapter 138, the death of Foulques.

I just want to say thank you for this amazing AAR! It is so good that I feel I owe you something for this wonderful work.

That is why i created this pdf of the first book (139 chapters, all the images, 1669 pages oO). You can download it and use it as you please.

Click HERE to dl it (Google Drive).

Thank you again!

• 7Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
The death of the pope feels like the end of an era... but in a good way! I'm almost more excited about the developments in Rome than the war in England, which I assume Geoff has in the bag :p

He guessed that didn’t exactly calm her, so offering her the chance to hear the concerns of her new subjects and giving them some sort of aid was a compromise. Especially since he was not present when she did so, as he conducted the siege here.

Word had reached him of the funds she wanted to compensate the people for their suffering, and Geoffrey had approved it. The amount was a relative pittance to him, and he paid it with some of the money he’d taken from the Lydford keep after it fell.
It'll be interesting to see if this charitable spirit persists once (if?) Elf actually becomes queen. She is "greedy" after all. Hopefully Angevin tactlessness has not rubbed off on her!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will keep this separate as per the no spoiler request!

No spoiler please.

In the last 6 or 7 days I have read your AAR. I'm in chapter 138, the death of Foulques.

I just want to say thank you for this amazing AAR! It is so good that I feel I owe you something for this wonderful work.

That is why i created this pdf of the first book (139 chapters, all the images, 1669 pages oO). You can download it and use it as you please.

Click HERE to dl it (Google Drive).

Thank you again!

Wow! Thank you so much! I've downloaded it and given it a quick read and it looks good! I never would have thought to do something like that. The cover artwork looks great. Appreciate all that work you did to put this together!

Glad you enjoyed the Foulques IV's time and I hope the successive characters prove just as enjoyable if not more.

Thank you again! I cannot emphasize how much it means to me that someone would put this together.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Huzzah, the English should surrender soon, and Aquitane will have peace. The situation in Hungary is somewhat troubling, yet Geoffrey may profit from it by marrying Tomas to Queen Charlotte and then supporting the girl, it would keep Hungary under a cadet branch of the House D'anjou after all... I do wonder what seems to trouble Alias in regards to marriage? Perhaps he shares more than just a name with the late Perigord Count.... Excellent chapter, it's nice to see things go fairly well for Geoffrey!

There's nothing left but the sieges, though that will take some time. But I guess it provides an opportunity to toss up some character development that I wouldn't have had the time for had the war been a series of rip roaring battles.

But I suppose it's fairly realistic since the actual Anarchy had few battles and mostly came down to sieges.

The Alias situation will get explained next chapter. I can't say what bothers him but, you shall see.

First things first: SHAGNASTY IS DEAD :D

Now that that's out of the way...

Alias's continuing impatience has me worried a little. I do get a sense that he feels as though Geoffrey keeps on fobbing him off, and I keep wondering if all this is going to lead to him doing something drastic to secure his own "place in the sun." I doubt he'd do anything to harm his brother directly, but we've already seen one Angevin run away from home in defiance of the family head's wishes -- and though that worked out for Geoffrey the Elder in the end, who's to say someone like Alias would have the same luck?

Yes, finally! And leaving behind two acknowledged bastards, both sired after he became pope. But I know for a fact he left others, and I'm guessing Geoffrey isn't the only one cracking open a cask. At least among the lay population.

There will be more with Alias to come next chapter. I do think it's understandable he's a bit concerned. He was told he was going to get Navarra, then Geoffrey dropped it for his own conquests. Even if he takes Geoff at his word that this is for Ælfflæd and not himself, it still signals where he ranks compared to the rest of the family. His ambition could be put aside easily. So he looks for ways to escape his brother's shadow and control.

There's another reason which also plays into his anxiety. But we'll get to that shortly.

Alias is going to make waves, isn't he? He's going to be convinced by some rival power to make a move, get crushed, and force Geoffrey to take his head. Pleased that the liberation of England is coming along well, though!

Thanks also for answering the question on your organisation!

He hopes to make waves to be sure. I have an idea on how I want to show his story given what happens to him over the course of these events. And yes, England is going pretty well, Lydford assault aside. A few hiccups, but there's not much to do now but wait.

No problem. I'll add that while I have my way of doing things, it might not work for everyone. So it's best to experiment and figure out a way of notekeeping that works for you.

You would think Scotland would be of intrest, seeing as it is on the border of what is soon to be the latest Angevin Kingdom.

Good idea to get people used to their new monarch.

I'm guessing rather angry is an understatement.

Hopefully people only blame Geoffrey and not Elf, and accept the compensation paid.

Makes sense.

Hell Yeah!!

So you are still trying to claim Normandy?

Hehehe liaisons.

Finally, a boy to continue the Capet line. Alphonse has retaken all the non Anjou owned lands lost to his father, and has even managed, in a round about way, to strengthen his dynasty. As it stands, the Capets hold Flanders, Paris, Malorica and Normandy. Assuming they can work together, a big if considering their family history, they could gain much more control over France. Speaking of French vassals, is Duke Giles still alive?

I see the Capets have finally learned to get along, for now anyway. Leonard has a victory, maybe that will lessen the sting of loosing the French crown.

Of course he's too prideful to admit he was wrong.

Unwise. One would think Alphonse has learned that altruism doesn't pay in medeval politics. Look at the Anjou, they never aid relatives, spurn almost every alliance, and they've come out on top.

So Aquitaine is officially the most powerful Kingdom in Europe, if not the world?

Ripe fruit for Geoffrey to pluck? Maybe Alphonse will make a move. If he can achieve peace with Geoffrey, he might have an opportunity to expand to the North, at the expense of the Kaiser, a reverse of his father's first losses.

It also doesn't help that the boy may not even be the Duke's, considering his wife's adultery. I wonder if the English would be more eager to accept a confirmed adulteress over a woman who was held captive by Muslims?

Uncle niece relationships should hardly be a shock to an Angevin. I guess she took that Family focus in an unusual direction hey hey

The Hapsburgs are still around, and marrying well, or so it seems. I doubt any of Geoff's Aunts will be willing to do his bidding if they gain nothing in return. The main branch of the family left them all out to dry, and the result was that the only one whose children improved their station died of an STD before victory was achieved. A cruel joke if you ask me.

Centolh is proving to be a suprsingly shrewd diplomat. Perhaps a gift from his mother, Ness?

So Charles went back huh. Geoff ought not be so cavelier about a cousin being dethroned. A little girl she may be, but she is an Angevin, and her fall would be a loss of preseige for the entire dynasty. Historically medevil rulers would have to make some effort to aid distant kin. If Geoff is unintrested he should give her some coin to hire mercenaries and let her be done with it.

Oh wow, where did that come from? You'd think the king would have more concern for those of his own children, even if lowborn, their wretched status would imply an Angevin can grow up in squalor. Plus Geoff ought to know that the more children available for dynastic schemes the better. Mind you I figure this hasn't happend in game and you just added it as flavor text for the maidservant lover trait Geoff has.

You could just send her coin for mercenaries.

Sending Guilhielm off would be a terrible idea. Aines is not reintegrated enough to give her son such a reward. On the other hand, while Geoffery would not be able to execute her son, he could threaten to not aid Hungary if Aines refuses to take part in his plans. Mind you, the problem with that would be that Geoff would now have to aid Hungary, something he has shown zero intrest in doing. For Alias, I could see both pros and cons. A King in his own right would be higher ranked than a Duke, and yet he would be vulnerable as a consort. Geoff is already commited to England and Spain and is thinking about war with France. It is understandable that he would not have troops to spare. Mind you he could make peace on one of those fronts by arranging a marriage. He could also bolster his southern flank by financing the Kings of Iberia instead of conquering them, but that is not in Geoff's temperment.

One of which is indefensible from the others. Geoff is wise to keep his son out of this.

Charles isn't the regent.

We all know how leaving Aines unwed for so long turned out.

This sounds like a desperate gamble. Geoff should wait to see how the war turns out, while maybe providing financial and moral support to the young Queen. If she wins, she's lightly beaten the rebelliosuness out of the Hungarian lords. If now well she will probably keep her lands. The marrige will not take place for a while so Geoff has time to plot. Even with Alias I figure he has at least a year before he comes of age, Geoff could always cancel another bethrothal.

I wonder if the adventure in Spain will be worth it. Sure the Kingdoms are small, but there are a lot of them so it is hard to keep tabs on them all. I suspect seizing Navvare will commit Geoff to a series of endless conflicts with just about ever Christian and Muslim state in Iberia.

At the very least he could call off his plans for Normandy and put Charollete in third.

Symbolism.

I have no idea how much say Charles had but I don't think Geoff should rule out the realm stabalizing after this rebelion. If the little Queen wins outright she will get the crushed rebellion modifier and have her rule consolidated.

Sounds very Foulques like. Sigh.

Guelhielm has enough crowns to worry his little head over.

As someone who is writing an AAR about a similarly aged child Queen, I wish Geoff would give his kin more consideration. But I have to agree with him on this. At the moment, even the most kin conscious monarch would have to delay sending troops. In such situations I usually send financial aid.

He still made him a King. Mind you the plight of Bella should make it clear that Angevin wedding gifts are often laced with poison.

In fiarness, Geoff was already betrothed to Elf, and Alias was too young. Charles was the only Prince that was of age.

I take it the older girl was already wed? I see little point in Geoff wedding his brother to Alphonse's daughter while plotting to seize his territories, and allowing his vassals to do the same. Unless he is planning to take the French throne for Alias, which in that case why bother nipping off scraps?

He definitely has some sort of issue with women. I think you ruled out homosexuality and having a lover, so I don't know what it might be.

Things are coming up Angevin.

Overall this was a good update chapter. Tensions are brewing between the brothers. This might lead to another murder plot. You said Aines does something in the future. I'd wager she either rats Alias out or joins him. Geoff feels overextended, but these are problems of his own making. While he faces policy threats in all directions he is the one ruling out resolving them peacefully. This is the problem of the tradtional Angevin policy against alliances. A measure meant to limit military commitments in fact guarentees more military commitments. In the past the Angevins have justified this by gaining land in those wars. But as the Kingdom expands it faces more and more threats, I suspect many future wars will be defensive in nature.

Geoff seems to have taken Aines's return suprisingly well, considering she got pregnant out of wedlock twice and tried to murder his son.

I know Geoff doesn't care about Scotland or England, but could we readers have an update. At least tell us if the Scotish Civl War has ended, it's been ongoing since Agnes died, which seems like forever ago.

I was going to chuck Scotland and the Byzantines into a response, but I think I can work Scotland into an update in a couple of chapters. (Not the next one, but the one after) But for the latter, Agnes' child granddaughter is currently the Empress, in her own right. Which is hilarious, given Geoffrey I's obsession with the Roman Empire, his niece now rules it (though I'm sure he'd claim it's not really the Roman Empire, given his previous comments calling them Greek pretenders).

It's certainly not a bad idea to have Ælfflæd get to know the people she hopes to be ruling, and, while I'm not sure he fully intends it, to separate the two of them as persons. Even if it's just a "good cop, bad cop" routine, any degree of separation Elf can get from Geoffrey is probably a good thing.

I was glad to be rid of Martinus for the sake of my characters. Guy was the worst. He made Geoffrey look like a boy scout, which normally would be a compliment given his position but in this case is damning with faint praise.

Yes, Adhemar remains in Normandy, trying to build a claim. He's come back with one for Caen a few times, but never for the entirety of the duchy. Basically, given truce timers, I didn't want to war for a singular county.

It is interesting to note, as you did, that when it comes to actual possessions, Alphonse has vastly expanded the family holdings. Technically, he's driven out all of the non-Capetians from positions of power in the kingdom, with the cadet-branch house of Burgundy the only survivors. Of course that came at the loss of half the realm, but in some ways, they're in a stronger position than their real-life equivalents were within a few decades. In real life, Henry II, though nominally a vassal, essentially controlled Normandy, Brittany, Anjou, Poitou, Aquitaine and Gascony. This Geoffrey controls the same, with Toulouse swapped for Normandy. But Louis VII didn't hold nearly as much land as Alphonse does.

Yves certainly is in better position to challenge for the crown, but thanks to CK2 mechanics, no challenge is probably coming for a while. Yves is too happy to be installed in Mallorca to turn against him. (That small war, for CK2 purposes was extremely wise for Alphonse. Leonard was installing Yves anyway, so this undercuts any hope to use him to get the crown back to the Hughes branch of the family tree).

Geoffrey's not above admitting he's wrong to certain people. But is uncle is not one of those people.

Alphonse doesn't get any land directly out of this. But I think Adhemar has it slightly wrong. It's not just the church. A stronger Castille could both weaken the heathens in Iberia, making possible expansion from Catalonia (which Alphonse still controls) more likely. And it might also check Geoffrey's ambitions in Iberia.

Aquitaine is powerful. Is it the most powerful? Hard to say. For example, that rebelling King Karel has more troops than Geoffrey does! (though the financial situation would probably give Geoffrey the edge) The Seljuks are also crazy strong at this point and would be more than a match for Geoffrey's forces. But among the rulers that surround him, Geoffrey is set up to be the strongest if the HRE explodes.

Opportunity would be there, though the Kaiser probably would not be weak. Weaker, but not weak. At this point, Alphonse would prove close to equal, but that's with that massive rebellion going on.

Like many things, I'm sure there would be arguments on both sides on which sister was better. That Rae didn't end up in Tunis is a big plus for her, and she was the eldest daughter, who spent the whole of her childhood in England. Her husband is also much weaker than Geoffrey, so the lords might feel they could exert more influence over her and her child.

On the other hand, Elf has been a fairly good Christian woman, fulfilling her duty as a wife, mother and queen. (Yes, she was estranged from Geoffrey for a period, but his actions would make her more sympathetic). And some of the lords probably wouldn't mind a strong hand to protect them, given the mess that England has been dealing with since their successful Crusade. And that Geoffrey is well thought of with the church probably does help him.

I also didn't mention it in this chapter, but Rae's husband was formerly an Imperial prince who's family was dethroned and left with Swabia. Thus their fortunes are declining, and may not be reliable as protectors to their vassals. Geoffrey's family is in the ascendancy and if their interest could be tied with England's the nobles could well benefit.

Certainly not shocking in the marriage sense, but in the carnal relationship sense? Thus far, only the most depraved among them have gone after close relatives outside of marriage (off the top of my head, that just includes the dynamic duo of Geoffrey I and Gilles). And, sadly for the Duchess, she is a woman and thus subjected to unfair double standards. Of course, she's also had a boatload of kids, and thanks to the instability elsewhere, in a decent position. Embarrassing, yes. Destructive? Not entirely. At least not yet... ;)

Yeah, I noticed that too. The Hapsburgs are starting to marry around well. I wonder if there's something in the game to make that more likely? I don't think there was any family specific things in CK2...

Agreed on Geoffrey's extended family. The Angevin main line isn't exactly great at aiding their extended family, and have by and large, screwed them over. I'd say Ermengarde would probably be the most understanding - she has no love for the Flemish lords who treated her poorly and then sent her away to be wed, separating her from her still fairly young children. That said, I imagine there'd be some "damn them all" to it, especially with Agnes gone.

Centolh has an excellent diplomacy skill! One might see him as a chancellor in wait...

Charles ended up in prison for a brief period, but yeah he's back in Hungary. I can't remember if he *was* regent, and then automatically lost it when he was captured. But I imagine him having some control, especially since he remains a commander in their military and is the best hope of a bail out for the loyal Hungarian lords. Unstated here, but probably true, is that he could stand to gain a lot more power if Geoffrey did interfere. (Which would be even more reason for Geoffrey to steer clear)

As you note, it's more of a way to incorporate the maidservant into the storyline without having another fully developed lover character (for balancing purposes, I just don't think it would work - I'm shortchanging Ana badly even if I have a way to get her back into storyline soon). That said, I have thought of how the relationship(s) would look. I imagine that, in particular, the older maid Geoffrey was mentioned as keeping on the side, birthed a daughter and the kid got shipped away to a convent ASAP. Basically, the daughter wouldn't be a servant, but she wouldn't be around him. And he never even saw the kid. There's no real connection there, so he doesn't think much of it.

In real life, royal bastards even of servants could end up in better positions, but since children don't just appear in CK2 (save when you start having affairs with rosebushes or the isolated incident) I'm just keeping the ones born of servants and non-courtiers to be shipped off or kept far away from the main royal line.

Agreed. Guilhem to Hungary would have the potential for massive disaster and I had no real interest in doing it. Don't get me wrong, the idea of adding another kingdom to the Angevin line would be nice, but the risk was too high, especially since he's the only male heir at this point. And losing control of heirs is always troublesome, since CK2 doesn't give you nearly the control over them that you should have.

I think Toumas would not be anywhere near a position of power, so long as Geoffrey could help it. Reward his bastards is one thing. Rewarding his sister's? That's another. I would think a church position would be his end game there, especially seeing as he'd notice a precedent with his own half-brother.

With Alias, if Geoffrey didn't have a plan for him already in mind, I think he'd have given it more thought. It would have been a way to honor his father's words without giving up any of the family lands. But with the plan to give Alias the lands of Navarra, Geoffrey probably has no interest in both fighting for Navarra and Hungary, especially since he probably knows England is going to require some attention even after victory.

At this point, Alias comes of age in about a year. So yeah, there is still time. Nothing's happening while Geoffrey's at war.

Spain's weird as you note. It's made weirder by the splits of territories. Things are not always neat, so Holy Wars tend to get you just one or two territories (and a whole lot of threat). People are also constantly at war with one another so territory frequently changes hands. If you sit around and play CK2 at speed 1 or 2, and analyze all the madness, it might be possible to do quite well!

Well, when it comes to ruling out realms and long-term planning. Geoffrey can be worked on. Originally, he thought England was a nothing burger, and basically let Elf go after it to quiet her after the Ana mess. Through happenstance, big promises and lots of work, Geoffrey was brought around to the idea. The bigger problem for Charles and his daughters is that he's not really there to do that and work on Geoffrey long-term.

It is very Foulques-like. But it's also very Geoffrey I like. The difference is Geoffrey I would never be brazen enough to admit it, even to close family members. There's still a bluntness that Geoffrey II displays at times, especially with those close to him (Alias, Berard, Ælfflæd, his uncles), even if, unlike his grandfather, he does try to maintain a certain level of decorum outside of those circumstances.

It's true. I was quite concerned what would happen in the future with Guilhem, or any other heir Geoffrey and Ælfflæd might produce.

I understand why you might be sympathetic toward Hungary given your AAR. In retrospect, money probably could have been given. Actually paying off people outside the realm was not something I readily did. And it really only became something I did later, when I realized a specific situation called for it. In story, we'll chalk it up to youthful inexperience - Geoffrey's been in power for a while, but he's still not even 25.

Alphonse's oldest daughter, Aude, is betrothed. She's actually come of age now, though her husband to be is still a child. In terms of the marriage, it still, for now, secures his flank if he turns his attention to Iberia. He wants Normandy, but there is actually no guarantee he'll ever actually get the claim. I know it seems like we've had so much luck with claims, but we actually haven't! If you go back and look at the expansion.

Foulques and the Geoffreys took Brittany piecemeal. Geoffrey I had Aquitaine won for him. He used a rebellion in his name to jump and take Poitou, which he had the weak claim on. Toulouse was taken through Essa's strong claim after forming the kingdom, so it came as a du jure deal.

The only duchy the Angevins acquired through fabricated claim, at this point, is Gascony. In the meantime, Adhemar has failed to gain claim over Berry (back during Foulques' reign and the early years of Geoffrey I), as well as Navarra (during the later Geoffrey I years). And the Normandy claim hunt has been on for a decade now.

Basically, Geoffrey wants a war with France, but if he never gets the claim, he probably wouldn't pursue it. The other thing to consider is Alphonse is not young - he's at the age where he could well die before Geoffrey, which would end the non-aggression pact (as it did with Thoraed when he died, allowing Geoffrey free reign to attack England). So, basically, it gives Geoffrey some temporary security on the mainland, while also having a few different out routes if he secures a Normandy claim or an opportunity arises to being France under his control.

Thus far, I don't think I've ruled anything out with Alias, aside from that he's not interested in Ana, which Geoffrey had a fleeting thought over. But more with him will be revealed next chapter.

Glad you liked the update chapter. Originally, the update I had planned with Alias was to fall in this chapter, but the Hungary stuff proved too much of a thing not to talk about. I do feel Geoffrey's goal is to avoid being overextended. He's being a touch more ambitious than his father, but still measured in what else he takes on. That said if you think Geoff seems a bit stretched now... wait a few years as entanglements I can't control and other commitments start to pile up.

When it comes to Aines, I'd say Geoffrey has had time to reconcile the reality that she was going to be part of his life again, unless he did ship her to a convent. It's also still a bit of out of sight of out mind - she's in Bordeaux again, but for him and his family, it's not as if much has changed. She was separate from him, his wife and children before... and she's still separated from his family now. I imagine even when he does return, Aines will probably look to stay mostly out of sight whenever possible.

Scotland I will drop in that future update, since it will fit given England. I will say I don't believe the war has ended yet, at least by January 1136. (I am pretty sure, but since I'll hop around save points that a clumped within a year of each other, I'm never 100% sure I'm not thinking something happened a year before or so.

The death of the pope feels like the end of an era... but in a good way! I'm almost more excited about the developments in Rome than the war in England, which I assume Geoff has in the bag :p

It'll be interesting to see if this charitable spirit persists once (if?) Elf actually becomes queen. She is "greedy" after all. Hopefully Angevin tactlessness has not rubbed off on her!

Yeah, I mean, I don't really want to spoil, but the only way England could win at this point is if Ælfflæd died. That's it. Even Geoffrey's death wouldn't be enough, since it'd end up with Guilhem's regents prosecuting the war, and I could almost certainly end it before my vassals could cause any issues. I'll say there's a rather important event with Rome that is on the horizon, and while they've had a role before, it becomes a lot more important for both Geoffrey and Ælfflæd in the future.

She is and this, in this case, isn't her money. It's Geoffrey's. We'll see what happens when it is her gold!

To all - again, apologies for the delay on the chapter. Hopefully, we'll be back on schedule next week since I'm working on the next update. It will be a bit more Alias in the next chapter, as more about our young prince is revealed. And we are nearing a conclusion of the England war.

Thanks as always for your comments and feedback! Hope all is going well for you and yours during these difficult times!

• 1Love
Reactions:
I was going to chuck Scotland and the Byzantines into a response, but I think I can work Scotland into an update in a couple of chapters. (Not the next one, but the one after) But for the latter, Agnes' child granddaughter is currently the Empress, in her own right. Which is hilarious, given Geoffrey I's obsession with the Roman Empire, his niece now rules it (though I'm sure he'd claim it's not really the Roman Empire, given his previous comments calling them Greek pretenders).
The weeds take further root lol. I'm surprised Geoff did not think of that marriage option. Byzantium seems secure. I guess he wouldn't want Alias to be an Emperor while he's a mere King. I hope the girl hasn't inherited her mother's roots.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The weeds take further root lol. I'm surprised Geoff did not think of that marriage option. Byzantium seems secure. I guess he wouldn't want Alias to be an Emperor while he's a mere King. I hope the girl hasn't inherited her mother's roots.

Age. The girl's just four. It would be 12 years before that marriage could happen. And Byzantine politics are always so unstable. I figured she'd be dethroned pretty fast. But I might toss a mention of it in the next update because a few Alias marriage options come up.

I'll be honest, from a gaming perspective - I don't think any character that is going to be landed outside of your control can have a betrothal for more than a few years. They will always end up breaking the betrothal and you can't ever get options as good again unless you cheat and take control of them. Since I intended to land Alias, there was no way I could take a marriage that was going to result in a really long wait to happen.

Reactions:
The war may well be nearing its end, but for Geoffrey, life will definitely not be boring. The wheels are turning, not just in Rome but all around him. France, Iberia, the HRE, Hungary - the political situation changes a lot. Navigating it and securing an advantage for himself will be a challenge just like any war he plans. And war is soon coming again, after all.

For a brother who slowly grows impatient. That may be a sign of ambition to come - internal, which would put him at odds with Geoffrey at some point, or external, which may lead to Geoffrey having to send his armies to Alias' help after all, should he engage in warfare in the land no French king should enter.

Speaking of which, I hope for Alphonse's sake that the curse doesn't strike when you are merely an ally in a war. A strong France as rival of Aquitaine would certainly make for an interesting situation, especially as the HRE seems to be self-destructing under the leadership of an excommunicated, bankrupt Dutchman. Leading to the King of Bohemia and Sardinia to make a move. The Empire's neither Holy, nor Roman, nor German now.

Reactions:
I am caught up!!! Unless someone has a specific recommendation for me to read as my third CK2 AAR, I will follow my winning formula of picking from the top of the queue. Hopefully, it will be less than three years old.
My viewpoint of Queen-Mother Marguerite has softened. What bad act does she have in her resume besides Aubry Karling? The general consensus seems to place 90% blame on Marguerite, but what if the majority blame goes to Karling? He was older and Geoffrey's BEST friend. I think that Geoffrey was much more hurt by Karling's betrayal than Marguerite's. My view is that Sperm Donor de Louse was sexually abusing Marguerite and training Ness to replace her. The Geoffrey/Marguerite marriage could only be conceived in the bowels of CK2 hell. The Tin Duke is forcing his step-daughter, that hates him because he murdered her father/lover so that he could marry her mother, to marry his son, that hates him because the Tin Duke has verbally and probably physically abused the son and cheats on the son's beloved mother. The abuse is simply because Geoffrey is not a lesser image of the Tin Duke. Yes, the Geoffrey/Marguerite marriage was toxic, but did anyone expect anything different from a union of these two broken individuals? Yes, Marguerite is a controlling, smothering parent who will be a better grandparent than parent. Yes, Marguerite loves her dead children more than the living because the dead can no longer defy/ignore her commands. Yes, Marguerite has mental health problems, but after sexual abuse from Sperm Donor de Louse and the Tin Duke forcing her into a loveless marriage with a man that she dislikes, placing her in house arrest, and almost raping her, does anyone expect her to be miss congeniality?
Clan Perigrod worries me. The Count is willing to pimp his sister for favors. Ana is scary, scary dangerous as an high intrigue master spy for Marguerite and the daughter of Count Alias. I am waiting for Queen Elf to solve the King Geoff/Ana situation by filling the court eunuch position when the restoration war ends. The Prince Alias/Berard situation scares me. This is not simple dislike but rather hatred that has made two young men become mortal enemies. I expect murder plots/attempts with King Geoff having to choose between his brother and his best friend. Hopefully, King Geoff will not have to inform his mother that his brother has been murdered or is being banished for murder. Hopefully in the next episode, we learn if Prince Alias prefers men or older women in the tradition of the two King Geoffreys.
My greatest departure from canon is my thoughts on the Tin Duke. I may dislike him a smidge more than anyone. His four greatest achievements are Rouen, Rouen, Rouen and Rouen. OK, my number two is build up of Anjou, number three is rescue of royal family which I give 90% credit to Jaspert, and number four is his treatment of Count Herve. The Tin Duke is constantly being outplayed. Duke Guilhem does a bait and switch with young daughter and older, fat sister. King Philippe uses him like a master puppeteer uses a marionette. The Tin Duke exchanging his loyalty for Maine may have been the only time that King Hugues outplayed anyone. The Tin Duke, by using step-father's troops in his rebellion against his brother, created eternal divides in his family. He allows Beatritx/Agnes to administer his duchy as long as they agree to follow his dictates. His handling of Count Bouchard would make Laius and King Herod envious. His marriages went from ok to scandalous to horrid. Foulques/Beatritz was a business relationship that surprisingly worked. Foulques/Aines began with the murder of her husband, Sperm Donor de Louse, and ended with Aines early death. The murder was another case of the AI spitting in the face of the Tin Duke. Not only was the murderer revealed but his teenage daughter was exposed as an accessory. This marriage would probably have happened, if Sperm Donor de Louse had not been blackmailing Duke Guilhem. To compound matters, the Tin Duke parades Aines' teenage daughter around the royal court as his mistress while on marriage no. 3. Foulques/Haldora is probably the only marriage ever conceived in a deeper bowel of hell than Geoffrey/Marguerite. G/M at least had mutual hatred of the Tin Duke and Marguerite's claims as positives. In typical Tin Duke luck, Geoffrey did not need the claims that was the sole reason for his marriage. The Kingdom of Aquitaine has to be the Tin Duke's worst nightmare. Not only did Geoffrey have different strengths and weaknesses than the Tin Duke, but the kingdom is greater than his duchy. While Geoffrey will be remembered as the founder as long as Aquitaine exists, Foulques will be remembered in France for Rouen and in Aquitaine as Geoffrey's father.
Thank you for reading and I hope that everyone is safe, healthy and happy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If your looking for an AAR you could do worse than the one I'm writing. I just updated it. It's only a few months old so their's not much to catch up on and I'm just about to start a major war arc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A straightforward chapter full of good news and success. Not even any straying from the path by Geoffrey, whose behaviour is definitely improving. Why is it I still feel uneasy? o_O
“She apparently was caught in the bed of her uncle,” Centolh said.
Someone else becomes the lightning Rod for scandal! :eek:
Soon enough he would stand triumphant over England. And perhaps a great deal more as well.
Fate tempted yet again. Fingers crossed it’s not hubris.
SHAGNASTY
Sounds like the Chancellor of Hungary! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
There is no shame in promoting yourself when someone literally asked for an AAR to read.

I know, I just have an irrational fear of people hating me..

Reactions:
I asked about Eleanor of Aquitaine's game assigned stats and @JabberJock14 politely challenged me to check. My methodology was to use three random realms with a start date of 1April1137 (eight days before her father's OTL death) and play until 9January1138 (eight days after her in game 16th birthday). My three leaders were: 1) Basileus Ioannes of the Byzantine Empire 2) Earl Auliffe Mor of Locha Lein (one county in Ireland) 3) Emir Dunas of the Al-Mazati Emirate (four Ibadi counties in North Africa). My results are: (sorry no screenshots, if anyone thinks that this old dinosaur can upload screenshots, they are grossly overestimating my abilities).
A) Duke Guilhem survived and married again in all three tests. In test 1 and 2, he married Princess Isabelle, the eldest child of King Louis. In test 3, the bride was Agnes de Blois, sister to the Duke of Champagne and King Stephen of England.
B) Eleanor's guardians: test 1) Aines de Poitou (her father's full sister) to King Louis 2) Adalaida de Poitou (half sister of Guilhem and Eleanor's mother (Guilhem married the daughter of his father's mistress. While Eleanor's parents were unrelated, they shared half siblings.)) to Princess Isabelle to Prince Louis (Eleanor's OTL husband) 3) Adalaida to Prince Louis.
C) Eleanor's traits: Attractive, Diligent, Just, Proud, Patient in all three.
D) Eleanor's occupation: 1 and 3) Scholarly Theologian 2) Detached Priest
E) Eleanor's stats: 1) 11-5-10-7-10 (total 43) 2) 10-4-9-6-10 (39) 3) 10-4-10-6-15 (45)
F) Eleanor's marriage/betrothal: 1) none 2 and 3) betrothed to Enril de Poitou, court chaplain of Aquitaine and Eleanor's uncle (His father was Eleanor's paternal grandfather and his mother was Eleanor's maternal grandmother.)
@JabberJock14, this is my penance for hijacking the AAR when I asked for a reading recommendation.
PS The regent for Duke Guilhem in test 3 was Count Alias of Perigrod.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The war may well be nearing its end, but for Geoffrey, life will definitely not be boring. The wheels are turning, not just in Rome but all around him. France, Iberia, the HRE, Hungary - the political situation changes a lot. Navigating it and securing an advantage for himself will be a challenge just like any war he plans. And war is soon coming again, after all.

For a brother who slowly grows impatient. That may be a sign of ambition to come - internal, which would put him at odds with Geoffrey at some point, or external, which may lead to Geoffrey having to send his armies to Alias' help after all, should he engage in warfare in the land no French king should enter.

Speaking of which, I hope for Alphonse's sake that the curse doesn't strike when you are merely an ally in a war. A strong France as rival of Aquitaine would certainly make for an interesting situation, especially as the HRE seems to be self-destructing under the leadership of an excommunicated, bankrupt Dutchman. Leading to the King of Bohemia and Sardinia to make a move. The Empire's neither Holy, nor Roman, nor German now.

Yep. In some ways, there has been an acceleration of events in the neighboring nations during the England war. I imagine it's coincidence (Alphonse getting an heir, Martinus dying certainly is) in some cases, though with some events (the HRE revolt, Alphonse deciding to jump in for Castille) I wonder if Aquitaine being preoccupied helped get them moving.

There's more on Alias to come in this chapter. I do keep thinking about your other line there "warfare in the land no French king should enter". I certainly see a way that "curse" arguably continues, even if it is not quite in the way it has manifested in the past. It's hard to describe now without spoiling, so I'll say once you zoom out to a larger view of what happens to characters in the future, I think the superstitious among us would call it a curse.

And... well I'll have to look at certain things but you're right to warn Alphonse. Even "great" kings can end up on the losing end in Iberia.

The HRE is not in great shape. It's a Salian but yeah, a Dutchman is in control who ended up with bad luck. Basically, the line of Bohemian kings ended up mixed up with Duchess Matilda of Tuscany, giving them control over a large chunk of the Empire and a rich chunk in Italy. It's not impossible to salvage, but the AI would need luck to pull it off.

I am caught up!!! Unless someone has a specific recommendation for me to read as my third CK2 AAR, I will follow my winning formula of picking from the top of the queue. Hopefully, it will be less than three years old.
My viewpoint of Queen-Mother Marguerite has softened. What bad act does she have in her resume besides Aubry Karling? The general consensus seems to place 90% blame on Marguerite, but what if the majority blame goes to Karling? He was older and Geoffrey's BEST friend. I think that Geoffrey was much more hurt by Karling's betrayal than Marguerite's. My view is that Sperm Donor de Louse was sexually abusing Marguerite and training Ness to replace her. The Geoffrey/Marguerite marriage could only be conceived in the bowels of CK2 hell. The Tin Duke is forcing his step-daughter, that hates him because he murdered her father/lover so that he could marry her mother, to marry his son, that hates him because the Tin Duke has verbally and probably physically abused the son and cheats on the son's beloved mother. The abuse is simply because Geoffrey is not a lesser image of the Tin Duke. Yes, the Geoffrey/Marguerite marriage was toxic, but did anyone expect anything different from a union of these two broken individuals? Yes, Marguerite is a controlling, smothering parent who will be a better grandparent than parent. Yes, Marguerite loves her dead children more than the living because the dead can no longer defy/ignore her commands. Yes, Marguerite has mental health problems, but after sexual abuse from Sperm Donor de Louse and the Tin Duke forcing her into a loveless marriage with a man that she dislikes, placing her in house arrest, and almost raping her, does anyone expect her to be miss congeniality?
Clan Perigrod worries me. The Count is willing to pimp his sister for favors. Ana is scary, scary dangerous as an high intrigue master spy for Marguerite and the daughter of Count Alias. I am waiting for Queen Elf to solve the King Geoff/Ana situation by filling the court eunuch position when the restoration war ends. The Prince Alias/Berard situation scares me. This is not simple dislike but rather hatred that has made two young men become mortal enemies. I expect murder plots/attempts with King Geoff having to choose between his brother and his best friend. Hopefully, King Geoff will not have to inform his mother that his brother has been murdered or is being banished for murder. Hopefully in the next episode, we learn if Prince Alias prefers men or older women in the tradition of the two King Geoffreys.
My greatest departure from canon is my thoughts on the Tin Duke. I may dislike him a smidge more than anyone. His four greatest achievements are Rouen, Rouen, Rouen and Rouen. OK, my number two is build up of Anjou, number three is rescue of royal family which I give 90% credit to Jaspert, and number four is his treatment of Count Herve. The Tin Duke is constantly being outplayed. Duke Guilhem does a bait and switch with young daughter and older, fat sister. King Philippe uses him like a master puppeteer uses a marionette. The Tin Duke exchanging his loyalty for Maine may have been the only time that King Hugues outplayed anyone. The Tin Duke, by using step-father's troops in his rebellion against his brother, created eternal divides in his family. He allows Beatritx/Agnes to administer his duchy as long as they agree to follow his dictates. His handling of Count Bouchard would make Laius and King Herod envious. His marriages went from ok to scandalous to horrid. Foulques/Beatritz was a business relationship that surprisingly worked. Foulques/Aines began with the murder of her husband, Sperm Donor de Louse, and ended with Aines early death. The murder was another case of the AI spitting in the face of the Tin Duke. Not only was the murderer revealed but his teenage daughter was exposed as an accessory. This marriage would probably have happened, if Sperm Donor de Louse had not been blackmailing Duke Guilhem. To compound matters, the Tin Duke parades Aines' teenage daughter around the royal court as his mistress while on marriage no. 3. Foulques/Haldora is probably the only marriage ever conceived in a deeper bowel of hell than Geoffrey/Marguerite. G/M at least had mutual hatred of the Tin Duke and Marguerite's claims as positives. In typical Tin Duke luck, Geoffrey did not need the claims that was the sole reason for his marriage. The Kingdom of Aquitaine has to be the Tin Duke's worst nightmare. Not only did Geoffrey have different strengths and weaknesses than the Tin Duke, but the kingdom is greater than his duchy. While Geoffrey will be remembered as the founder as long as Aquitaine exists, Foulques will be remembered in France for Rouen and in Aquitaine as Geoffrey's father.
Thank you for reading and I hope that everyone is safe, healthy and happy.

Your trek through this long winding road has been impressive, and I've enjoyed seeing your progress (shown by the emojis!) along the way!

I'm glad you have softened a bit on the Queen mother. She's certainly not blameless in her fate - and she's done many bad things over the years (Her treatment of Elf at the beginning was reprehensible). But she's not worse than those around her, and in the case of Foulques and her mother, certainly better.

I agree with the idea Geoffrey I was more hurt by Aubry than Marguerite initially. That was his closest friend, and to do that to him broke something in Geoffrey. And no doubt left lingering resentment toward Foulques, for he did blame Marguerite's betrayal on him. You hit on something else as well - the reality that marriage was doomed from the start. I've mentioned it before that Geoffrey and Marguerite were perfect for one another, in that they excelled in ways to make one another miserable. And it can be argued they both lashed out at others, and in the process damaged their spouse as well. I also won't deny Marguerite's love of her dead sons is easier to handle for her than her living ones, for they are but a memory now.

On the Perigords - I admit, I was a bit concerned with Ana because of that high intrigue. I can keep her somewhat in check by keeping her Geoffrey's lover - she won't plot against him with a 100 relationship score. But anyone who plots against his kids could gain her as a backer, which is scary. So... don't ever expect her to be spymaster. ;) You are right to worry about that Berard/Alias rivalry spilling out into plots. And you will learn more of Alias' preferences in the next chapter.

Your characterization of Foulques is definitely different, but certainly has merit. It's hard to argue against your assessment of his marriages, and the fact he wasn't exactly politically astute. Philippe did play him quite a bit. Trading a disloyal vassal with high intrigue to gain loyalty was one of the better trades Hughes ever made. And of course, Foulques' long line of bad behavior is not endearing. Besides the murder of Adhemar, you point out Ness, which was a disgraceful act to both Ness herself and Haldora. Of course he threatened to rape Marguerite as well. So... yeah. Your arguments have plenty have backing to them.

I do think Foulques IV despite his greater individual moment than his real life equivalent, is likely cosigned to a similar fate. The real Foulques is certain an important figure for the Angevin family - stabilizing his family's hold after his brother's problems. And certainly he was dangerous to Norman England, given he continued to clash with William in Normandy, and had the basis of a military strength that Henry I was forced to deal with him and the real life Foulques V. But given that Foulques V became King of Jerusalem, his son Geoffrey Plantagenet became the Duke of Anjou who actually took Normandy, and Henry II became King of England, Foulques IV became a relatively small figure in his family annals.

Like I said, this Foulques is likely headed down a similar path. Geoffrey I made himself King of Aquitaine. This version of Geoffrey Plantagenet stands ready to add England his family's control. And Guilhem or another heir will be king of two realms if all holds. As much as Foulques was the pre-eminent Frankish lord by the end of his days, he is likely to be overshadowed by his son and grandson... and perhaps great-grandchildren as well.

A straightforward chapter full of good news and success. Not even any straying from the path by Geoffrey, whose behaviour is definitely improving. Why is it I still feel uneasy? o_O
Someone else becomes the lightning Rod for scandal! :eek:
Fate tempted yet again. Fingers crossed it’s not hubris.
Sounds like the Chancellor of Hungary! :D

I think your uneasiness is justified. Geoffrey's been on good behavior for a reason. What happens when that reason goes away?

I probably didn't even need to include the Duchess in the update, but I was so shocked by that modifier that I had to. And we'll be seeing her again in the future anyway, as well as her son.

Is it any wonder Geoffrey thinks his womanizing isn't a big deal? Clearly everyone does it. Though maybe a eunuch as pope, if it happens, will set Christendom back on a less lecherous path.

I asked about Eleanor of Aquitaine's game assigned stats and @JabberJock14 politely challenged me to check. My methodology was to use three random realms with a start date of 1April1137 (eight days before her father's OTL death) and play until 9January1138 (eight days after her in game 16th birthday). My three leaders were: 1) Basileus Ioannes of the Byzantine Empire 2) Earl Auliffe Mor of Locha Lein (one county in Ireland) 3) Emir Dunas of the Al-Mazati Emirate (four Ibadi counties in North Africa). My results are: (sorry no screenshots, if anyone thinks that this old dinosaur can upload screenshots, they are grossly overestimating my abilities).
A) Duke Guilhem survived and married again in all three tests. In test 1 and 2, he married Princess Isabelle, the eldest child of King Louis. In test 3, the bride was Agnes de Blois, sister to the Duke of Champagne and King Stephen of England.
B) Eleanor's guardians: test 1) Aines de Poitou (her father's full sister) to King Louis 2) Adalaida de Poitou (half sister of Guilhem and Eleanor's mother (Guilhem married the daughter of his father's mistress. While Eleanor's parents were unrelated, they shared half siblings.)) to Princess Isabelle to Prince Louis (Eleanor's OTL husband) 3) Adalaida to Prince Louis.
C) Eleanor's traits: Attractive, Diligent, Just, Proud, Patient in all three.
D) Eleanor's occupation: 1 and 3) Scholarly Theologian 2) Detached Priest
E) Eleanor's stats: 1) 11-5-10-7-10 (total 43) 2) 10-4-9-6-10 (39) 3) 10-4-10-6-15 (45)
F) Eleanor's marriage/betrothal: 1) none 2 and 3) betrothed to Enril de Poitou, court chaplain of Aquitaine and Eleanor's uncle (His father was Eleanor's paternal grandfather and his mother was Eleanor's maternal grandmother.)
@JabberJock14, this is my penance for hijacking the AAR when I asked for a reading recommendation.
PS The regent for Duke Guilhem in test 3 was Count Alias of Perigrod.

Interesting. I'd guess her father is unlikely to die suddenly under most cases in game, so if you'd want to play her, you'd have to do it after his death. I think the general thought is to do it the day before she comes of age to prevent her from being wed to Louis. But those are some pretty nice stats and she might do even better under player control. You might still be able to recreate the Angevin Empire with her as well... though I think you'd need to get lucky with matralineal marriages there, since the AI will never give Henry to you since he's Geoffrey Plantagenet's heir. You'd need his brothers Geoffrey or William to do it (I haven't checked the Geoffrey/Matilda marriage in game besides a cursory glance, so I'm assuming the pair *are* present.) Then you'd press the claim for England, which I suppose might be do-able, since Eleanor should have a substantial levy, especially if you play from her 16th birthday to when you'd marry Geoffrey/William.

No worries on the ask. Just hope everyone doesn't mind as I leave those comments unaddressed since it's not pertaining to the story, other than to say I have read both AARs and think they are worth your time. But I know you've already started reading them, so you didn't need to hear me say it.

To all - the next chapter is set and should be up in a bit (posting takes extra time these days with having to fix the spacing from a google doc since the reformat). Hopefully you enjoy as more about Alias is revealed. And something else rather important happens as well.

Thanks for all your wonderful commentary and feedback. It remains a big part of the fuel that keeps me going, even when I hit some writer's bloc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 260 - June 1136
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 260
June 1136 - Sutton, Kingdom of England

“Don’t let him sack it.”

Geoffrey stood in the lord’s chamber in the manor house in Sutton. Across from him stood Queen Ælfflæd, her face one of determination. But as Geoffrey met her gaze, staring into her eyes, he saw something else.

Fear.

“Look, you know how this goes,” Geoffrey told her. “They were offered a chance to surrender. They did not take it. When it falls, there will be repercussions.”

“I am aware,” Ælfflæd said. “Heavens know I am aware of all that. But this is family. My aunt did nothing wrong. If anything, she hoped to win support for me. Not to mention she is Adelise’s mother.”

Geoffrey sighed. Ælfflæd had demanded he speak with her over the siege of Wareham, which was happening the next county over. There Duke Foulquesson, having arrived in England in January, was laying siege to the Duke of Somerset’s main keep. And talk had already spread that the Duke of Brittany had sacked the town, and let loose havoc on all who lived within its walls.

1136-Siege-of-Dorset.jpg

Rumor wasn’t always fact, however, and Geoffrey knew that the town had not fallen yet - at least from the duke’s last message this morning. News would be at least four days behind with even the fastest of riders, but Geoffrey was reasonably assured his uncle had yet to take the walls, let alone unleash anything on its inhabitants.

But Ælfflæd was nonetheless concerned, specifically for her Aunt Gunhilda, Duchess of Somerset, and her cousin, Hextilda, the 13-year-old daughter to the duke and duchess. And she had first demanded answers over the rumors and now assurances that they would not come to pass.

However, while Geoffrey could calm her over the former, he could make no guarantees over the latter.

“I realize you worry about your aunt and cousin,” Geoffrey said. “But if you have not noticed, I am here. Not there.”

“Then go there,” Ælfflæd said. “Or let me go there.”

Geoffrey nearly spit out his wine. “Let you go? Alone? Are you mad? My uncle would ride here immediately to challenge me to a duel for something he’d deem so insulting.”

“And you’re worried about that?” she asked.

“He’s a decaying husk,” Geoffrey said. “I have no doubt I’d defeat him. But then I’d have to kill him, because he could not take the humiliation of surrender. And trust me when I say, killing one of my prominent vassals, a blood uncle no less, is not something I need right now. Nor something you need, given your reliance on my armies.”

And Geoffrey had meant every word of that. Foulquesson was in even worse shape these days than when the war had begun.

Aside from the continued effects of his leprosy, the duke had been severely wounded while fighting with Ælfflæd’s uncle, Duke Osmund of Kent, on the mainland.

Osmund had attacked some of Duke Simon’s retinue to the southeast of Toulouse back in the fall, and Foulquesson, who’d heard reports the Duke of Kent was in the area and marched his men to intercept, joined the battle late on.

1135-Battle-of-Castelnaudary.jpg

The result had been another resounding victory for Aquitaine, but Foulquesson had been struck by a lucky lance point during the encounter. It did not go deep, but caught the duke’s eye, which he had now lost.

That wound had not only been the reason Foulquesson had missed capturing Osmund, or so he had claimed, but had also left the duke in a fouler mood than usual. And so Geoffrey figured he might as well use that to his advantage, recalling him to England and sending him to Wareham to hopefully bring the Duke of Somerset to his knees.

With Cornwall falling quickly then, and now fully in Geoffrey’s grasp, Osmund left with scraps unable to do anything, breaking Somerset at Wareham might well be the push needed to finally end the war.

Only now he was having to deal with possibility he’d unleashed a rabid hound on a close relative to his wife, without any good means of getting the dog under control.

1136-Foulquesson-one-eyed.jpg

“I will see what I can do,” Geoffrey said. “Foulquesson is irritable these days. Even more so than usual since he lost his eye.”

“I don’t care the reason,” Ælfflæd said. “I just want my aunt and cousin safe. Lyford was bad enough. It will not make my life easier if I have to answer for your uncle inflicting horrors on a woman from one of the most prominent families of the realm, sister to a former queen, brother to a duke and mother to a pair of duchesses in their own right.”

It was an argument he could hear his father making. And so Geoffrey could not deny his wife any more than he could the old king.

Geoffrey made his way to the door and ordered the guards to find Alias or Duke Simon so he could have them send a message to Foulquesson to make certain Duchess Gunhilda and her daughter were spared.

“There,” Geoffrey said. “Happy?”

“I would prefer one of us go,” Ælfflæd said. “To make certain there are no mistakes.”

“I gave my uncle command of that siege,” Geoffrey said. “I do not plan to revoke it. If he violates my order, he will be punished. I will deny him any further command.”

Ælfflæd crossed her arms. “What of the town?”

“I will look to protect your aunt and cousin,” Geoffrey said. “That’s all I can do, even if I commanded the siege myself.”

That wasn’t entirely true - he’d been far more lenient to Axminster last year than most other towns, but he didn’t want this argument to continue.

There was a knock on the door and Duke Simon entered. Geoffrey was hoping for Alias, since he trusted his younger brother more than his cousin, but gave him the order anyway.

“And I want to make it clear,” Geoffrey said, “should anything happen to Duchess Gunhilda or young Hextilda, the duke will face a permanent loss of command. For Navarra, I’ll leave him in Brittany. Make sure he understands that.”

Simon nodded. “Shall I take it to him personally?”

Geoffrey glanced to Ælfflæd and given her stern glare, nodded as well. “Go with Knud.”

Simon’s eyes widened for a moment while his face grew pale. “Y..yes… cousin.”

He bowed and departed, leaving Geoffrey grin. He didn’t think Foulquesson plotted against him anymore, but he didn’t want to leave him alone with Simon. Knud being present was exactly the type of intimidation required for such a situation.

“Satisfied?” Geoffrey asked his wife.

“No,” Ælfflæd said. “But thank you for your efforts, nonetheless.”

“I hope you show such backbone with your new subjects,” Geoffrey told her. “They could use a ruler who does not cow before their every whim.”

He could see Ælfflæd furrow her brow and yet have her lips curl up for a little smirk. She didn’t want to like what he said, but she had.

“Anything else then?” he asked her.

“No,” Ælfflæd said. “I will recall my ladies and we can return to our tasks for the day.”

Geoffrey snapped his fingers. “That reminds me. Have you settled on your new chief lady in waiting?”

Just under a half year ago, Lady Helie had passed. She had fallen ill in the fall, and by the start of the new year could not rise from her bed. Days later, she passed in her sleep.

1136-Helie-dies.jpg

It was true she was an old woman - the last person he knew who had known and spoken to his grandmother Beatritz. She was well over seven decades, and had seen much sadness in her life, from the fall of her nephew in Burgundy, to the deaths of her two children, and eldest granddaughter, Eve de Semur, prematurely. She’d also outlived her husband by decades.

But as she had told Ælfflæd before, she had enjoyed many other things, including seeing her young great-granddaughter become Empress of the Romans in her own right. It had not always been easy, but Helie claimed she lived it to the fullest, and had few regrets.

Yet it was clear by the sudden sullen look in Ælfflæd’s eyes at her mention that her passing still strung, even though Helie had passed months ago. It was something, given he’d heard they did not get along well at all when Ælfflæd had first arrived.

“No,” Ælfflæd said. “I have yet to raise any of my other ladies. Why?”

“I think you should strongly consider Assalide for the role,” Geoffrey said.

“I should do what?” Ælfflæd asked. “She is the newest among them. Benoite and Escarlemonde have been with me for longer.”

“Escarlemonde is a known harlot, given her bastards with my uncle Charles,” Geoffrey said.

“She’s been faithful to Knud!” Ælfflæd argued.

“For some that’s not much better,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t agree, of course, I just state what is.”

“So then Benoite,” Ælfflæd said.

“There are rumors about her as well,” Geoffrey said, neglecting to mention they involved his own father. “But more to the point, her husband is a foreign-born nothing. He served my father for a time, but was replaced. Whereas Assalide is the wife to my advisor - a council member.”

Ælfflæd rolled her eyes. “A landless brother to a count who only holds status due to his father. If Berard were not your friend, he would be nothing.”

“But he is my friend,” Geoffrey said. “Which makes him something.”

“You are too much,” Ælfflæd said. “It is not enough that I must replace a woman I still mourn, but you do not even let me choose who I wish to take her place?”

“It is a helpful suggestion,” Geoffrey said. “Of all your ladies, Assalide has the most status from both her family and husband. And she is a proper woman, upholding of tradition and our ways.”

“Ah, so I do not revert back to my old ways when I rule England?” Ælfflæd asked. “If you even permit me to do that, given you won’t even let me pick my ladies?”

“You can scoff at me all you wish,” Geoffrey said. “But you remain Queen of Aquitaine. The expectations upon you will not change just because we have added England to our holdings.”

“Unless you are to discount the expectations of those new English subjects,” Ælfflæd replied.

“They will need to learn to adjust to us,” Geoffrey said. “It is not as if they come to us willingly.”

Ælfflæd narrowed her gaze. “I see. I suppose it will be good then, that I am their queen. They will need someone to guide them in how to humble themselves before one with an ego as grand as yours.”

“Your sympathy for those that would stab you in the back the first chance they got is something,” Geoffrey said. “Whether it is admirable or foolish, I haven’t decided.”

“They are my people,” Ælfflæd said. “That I have been queen of Aquitaine for going on a decade does not change who I am.”

No, that was Tunis, he thought. It was clear to him now that Ælfflæd’s own standing with her people was not what she wished it would be due to the years she had spent there. In truth, she spent almost half of her life away from England at this point, between Tunis and Aquitaine.

It meant that to some, Ælfflæd would never be a true English woman, Saxon woman or whatever they were calling themselves these days. But he’d wised up about telling her that - there was no point in breaking her confidence now when he wanted her at her best for when the nobles surrendered.

“In any case, I could make you take Assalide as your chief lady,” Geoffrey said. “But I won’t. As I said, it is just helpful advice from someone who knows our court. You can do as you please.”

Ælfflæd crossed her arms, continuing to eye him. “I shall take it under consideration, husband. Have you anything else for me to consider?”

And while he had her, he did have another thought. “You know that I look for a wife for Alias. I was wondering if there were any women in England I should consider?”

Ælfflæd’s expression changed, from discontent to apparent surprise. She was left to shrug her shoulders.

“I have been away from here for nearly a decade,” Ælfflæd replied. “From what I know, all the duchesses, Adi, Aevis and Maud are still wed. There is Hextilda. She is the duke’s daughter. Currently she is his heiress.”

1136-Hextilda-of-Somerset.jpg

Geoffrey scratching his chin. Alias could have Navarra and have a wife as a duchess? That might not be a bad way to keep him pleased...

“That could work,” Geoffrey said. “Do you know of anyone else?”

“Not at this time,” Ælfflæd said. “But I can have an emissary from Adi ask her to look into it.”

Relying on Adelise was never his preferred option, but the idea Alias could be used to help bind England’s prominent nobles to their house was a concept that had been growing on him of late.

Of course, even if Geoffrey had a preferred candidate, there was no guarantee they would be available for his brother. His early attempts at arranging a union between Alias and Princess Etiennette of the Franks had gone poorly. Far from arranging an alliance, Alphonse’s emissaries believed it would be a precursor for Geoffrey to attack the kingdom should Alphonse pass, as he had done with England.

The thought had crossed Geoffrey’s mind, though fully elevating his brother to a status equal to him in a foreign kingdom was not necessarily a wise decision. But the Franks would not be convinced, and Geoffrey knew now he must look elsewhere for a bride for his brother.

1136-Alias-betrothal-refused.jpg

He’d briefly considered the Basilissa Markia of the Roman Empire, his late aunt Agnes’ granddaughter, given her status and the fact they were family, making potential negotiations easier.

But the girl was young at only four years of age. It would be a decade before she was old enough to marry, and there was no guarantee she would still be Empress then.

Of course, the idea that his brother would be emperor, consort or not, of the Roman Empire, was not something he could stomach. He wasn’t sure if his father would be annoyed for his son to be ruling over those “Greek pretenders” or proud his son ruled over the empire he idolized. Either way, Geoffrey wasn’t about to make it happen.

1136-Basilissa-Markia.jpg

But he would get no further insight into the matter with Ælfflæd now, so he bid his wife farewell, and left the chamber, allowing her ladies to filter in behind him. Among them was a servant holding his chubby faced daughter Marguerite, who he now called Margo, now over two years old. He gave his daughter a wet kiss and decided he’d like to hold her, taking her from the servant.

“Would you like to go walking with dada, Margo?” Geoffrey asked her.

When Margo nodded, he kept her in his arms, stuck his head into Ælfflæd’s chambers and told her he was taking his daughter outside.

Once outside the manor, he ran around, with his daughter laughing with joy as the warm summer breeze blew through both his and Margo’s brown hair.

“Faster dada!” she exclaimed.

And so Geoffrey obliged, enjoying what he’d gotten to experience a bit more lately - being able to actually spend time with his family. It wasn’t something that hadn't concerned him much when Guilhem was young, but ever since he’d heard his daughter laugh for the first time, he’d been aiming to make it happen over and over again.

He succeeded on this day, as she giggled and cheered. But he was brought to a stop by the sight of his cousin Centolh approaching.

1135-Centolh-d-Uzes.jpg

“Geoff, if I might have a word,” he said.

“You may,” Geoffrey said, keeping hold of his daughter’s legs around his neck.

“There is an emissary from the kingdom of Sicily who has arrived in the town,” Centolh said. “He’ll be staying here the night as he travels north to visit with the Duchess of Mercia. The Norman rulers look to find possible marriage candidates of Norman blood and Adelise is one of the most powerful remaining.”

“And you wish me to greet him for appearances?” Geoffrey asked.

“Well that, and… they have a princess available,” Centolh said. “Princess Alisce, sister to King Osbern.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. He had mentioned to Centolh his desire to find Alias a wife. So that his cousin had already found a royal candidate was a pleasant surprise.
“Forgive me,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t know a great deal about princesses from kingdoms in Italy. How old is she?”

“The lady is 24 years,” Centolh said. “Recently widowed, but certainly not too old.”

“She is older than my wife was when I married her,” Geoffrey noted.

“True, but not much older,” Centolh said. “Especially since Alias is of age. And as your wife shows, that age is certainly no impediment to having children.”
“I’m uncertain,” Geoffrey said.

“Well, she is… third in line for the throne,” Centolh said. “That is higher than your wife was when she and you were wed.”

“I am not looking to war every realm to install my family as their rulers,” Geoffrey insisted. “England provided a unique opportunity - my wife and children had far more right to the throne than a usurper.”

“Of course,” Centolh said. “I merely speak of opportunity, should the Sicilian nobles also get any ideas.”

Geoffrey eyed his cousin, though what else could he say? His reputation was sealed. Every realm near to him would forever eye him with suspicion that he eyed their lands. And in some cases, like with the Franks, it probably was true. But it also would draw him the ire of places where he didn’t have a great deal of interest, like Sicily.

1136-Princess-Alisce.jpg

“So if they suspect me of wishing to install my brother on the Sicilian throne, why would they ever agree to the union?” Geoffrey asked.

“I’m not certain they would,” Centolh said. “But time is not on the princess’ side. And they come to deal with their Norman cousins, the most powerful of them already is ours in all but name. I’m sure Duchess Adelise could put in a good word for us, should we ask nicely.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. Adelise had held her men back from this conflict, but beyond that, she’d failed to deliver on practically everything she had promised over the years. Having to trust her once was bad enough. But twice?

“I have my doubts,” Geoffrey said. “Still it would be good practice for Alias. He’ll need to impress visitors if he is to rule his own lands.”

“Agreed,” Centolh said. “Shall I send for Alias?”

“Where is he?” Geoffrey asked. “I say we just get him.”

“If that is what you wish,” Centolh said.

However, a quick search around the manor home itself did not turn up Alias. So Geoffrey moved back outside, but much to Margo’s disappointment, without her.

“I want to come, dada,” Margo whined.

“Maybe later,” Geoffrey told her. “It’s important for me to find your uncle. And I don’t know where he is or what he’s up to. So stay with mama.”

Margo frowned as a servant girl and guard led her back toward the lord’s chambers, and Geoffrey felt a small twinge of guilt. But Margo had already complained during the search that she wanted Geoffrey to run around again and probably lacked the patience to stay with him.

The search continued. In the yard, Geoffrey saw Prince Guilhem, now eight years of age, playing with Berard’s son Savarics, the pair laughing as they swung wooden swords in the air. By the looks of things they were trying to impress Benoite’s de Bourges's nine-year-old daughter Toda, all under the watchful eye of Berard himself.

“Come to see how your son aims to impress ladies?” Berard asked.

“Not this time, though I’m certain he does well enough,” Geoffrey said. “I imagine he could give young Savarics pointers.”

“Given what the prince may have learned from you, I’m not so sure that’s a good idea,” Berard joked.

Geoffrey gave him a slight shove, but continued with his main reason for stopping.

“Have you seen my brother?” Geoffrey asked. “There is an emissary I wanted him to meet.”

“Last I saw, he was headed toward the stables,” Berard said.

“Ah, thank you then,” Geoffrey said. He paused and took a look back at Guilhem, smiling sweetly at Toda. Then he leaned in close to Berard. “Keep him from getting too close to her. You’ve heard the rumors of her parentage.”

Berard nodded and started over toward the children. Geoffrey didn’t like the talk that surrounded the girl - that she was secretly actually his half-sister, sired of an affair between Benoite and the late king years before. If it were true… Geoffrey did not want his son blindly walking himself into a potential scandal.

With that situation somewhat diffused, Geoffrey and Centolh made their way over to the stables, with a few others along the way confirming Alias had gone into them.
Yet when they arrived, there were a few horses in the stalls, but other than that, Geoffrey did not see anyone. Centolh even made a walk around the perimeter while Geoffrey stood at the entrance.

And that’s when Geoffrey heard the sounds.

It took a few moments, but the king soon recognized it for what it was. The heavy breathing, the muffled sound of whispered compliments…

Centolh returned and before he could say anything, Geoffrey motioned for his cousin to follow him from the stables. Once they had, Geoffrey looked back toward the entrance.

“He has a girl with him,” Geoffrey said. “I know those sounds anywhere.”

Centolh scratched his head. “Is that it? Are you sure? I have not seen him make eyes at any ladies.”

“It is probably some Saxon servant,” Geoffrey said. “Which is good. No one will care if he gets her pregnant. But… I want to have some fun with him.”

“What are you planning?” Centolh asked.

“I’m going to catch him in the act,” Geoffrey said. “What else?”

“Is that wise?” Centolh asked. “He’s your brother. And I would think he wishes for privacy.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “Cen, far too often I just act as his king. For once, I want to treat him as my younger brother. Embarrass him a little, but compliment him after.”

The king crept along as quietly as he could. In his tunic, hose and boots, he could move somewhat quietly, though he had to hold his sword at his belt to prevent rustling. Tracing the sounds, he came upon a stall on the far corner, at the back of the stable. Creeping up to the door, Geoffrey motioned for Centolh to follow, which he did, slowly.

Then, once they were in place, Geoffrey threw open the door to the stall… and was left wide eyed at what he discovered.

Alias was seated on a couple of small bales of hay. As Geoffrey expected, there was someone with him, on their knees before him. But when that person picked up their head, Geoffrey could immediately see from the short cut of their hair, and the beginnings of a beard, that his brother was with no woman.

Meanwhile, both the man and Alias turned their gaze toward Geoffrey, with the color fading from their faces. A momentary stillness fell over the stable.

“What… in… what…” Geoffrey stammered. “What is the meaning of this?! What are you doing with…”

“Why did you come here?!” Alias shouted.

“To find you to discuss…” Geoffrey began. “No! This is not about me! I was not caught coupling with… with… This is inexcusable! This is….”

“Get away!” Alias shouted back. “Get away now!”

“I am your brother and your king! You cannot command me to…” Geoffrey retorted.

“Cousins!” Centolh exclaimed as he moved in front of Geoffrey, but continued to face the king. “Now is not the time. The stables are within earshot of many things… and many people.”

Geoffrey glared at his cousin. He wanted to curse him for speaking of such concerns now. It would be what Adhemar would say. Or Geoffrey’s father.

But it wasn’t wrong.

Geoffrey tore the cloak off his back and threw it at Alias. “Cover yourself. Clean yourself, alone. Then confess.”

He glared at the stable hand. “And you, if I ever catch sight of you near my brother again… I shall have you tossed into a river with weights tied around your ankles.”

Geoffrey stormed off from the stall, quickly moving from the stables and then pausing at a tree a few hundred feet away. His breathing was rushed, his heart racing and when he shut his eyes he could see the image again, his brother, the young man….

The king forced his eyes so wide open they nearly bulged from his head. His breathing remained rushed and he gripped tightly at his own tunic, at his chest.

I can’t believe what I just saw, he thought. I never imagined my brother was…

He could not even bring himself to think it, let alone say it.

“Geoff.”

Geoffrey spun around to see Centolh before him. His hand was out, as if he wished to reach to comfort him, but it trembled as he hesitated.

“What?” Geoffrey snapped.

“Alias has redressed himself,” Centolh said. “And I can… escort him from the stables. Some heard the noise and came to investigate.”

Geoffrey’s heart skipped a beat.

“Be rid of them!” he ordered.

“I have,” Centolh said. “The best I could, anyway. I think no one suspects anything, for no one saw…”

“Except us,” Geoffrey said.

“Yes,” Centolh said. “I uh… there is I know it is not the best time… but the Sicilian emissary…”

Geoffrey grew wide-eyed and didn’t respond. Centolh, the color faded from his face, backed away slowly.

“I… I will say you and your brother are unable to see him at this time, but both send your regards and hopes for safe travel.”

There was no response, with Geoffrey just glaring at his cousin until Centolh hurried away.

And with that Geoffrey made the slow walk back to the manor home. He did so alone, with Berard being waved off as he came to check on Geoffrey during the journey.

Geoffrey walked into the manor, numb to the world around him - so much so that he simply barged into the lord’s chamber without knocking, even as Ælfflæd and her ladies sat around, sewing. He then plopped himself down on an empty chair, prompting the queen to hurry to him, as did Margo.

“Dada?” Margo asked. “Did you come to get me?”

Geoffrey didn’t respond to her tugging on his tunic, and Ælfflæd stared at him, her brow raised.

“Husband? What has happened? You look as if you have seen a ghost!” she said.

“I saw something I shouldn’t,” Geoffrey told her.

“Do you wish to speak of it with me?” Ælfflæd asked.

He just slowly shook his head. Ælfflæd’s brow raised, continued to eye him.

“Do you wish for me to take my ladies outside the chamber?” Ælfflæd asked.

Geoffrey again said nothing, just nodding quickly. So the queen looked to her ladies and motioned for them to depart the chamber. Ælfflæd, trailing behind them after scooping Margo into her arms, paused at the door.

“I shall be in the main hall if you wish to speak to me,” she replied.

Geoffrey nodded and Ælfflæd went to leave. But she stuck her head back into the chamber once more to ask: “You have received no news about your armies? Or the war? Is it something to do with our son?”

The king shook his head, and Ælfflæd’s expression remained perplexed. With a slight shrug she finally left him alone, the door closing behind her.

Geoffrey was silent as he sat in the chamber, still in disbelief, and struggled to make sense of it all.

Of all the possibilities Geoffrey had considered, this had only briefly crossed his mind. Far more likely, he thought, was Alias desired Ælfflæd or Ana. Maybe something more perverse, like a close relative such as one of Beatritz’s daughters, or a married woman like Sarrazine. But to be a sodomite?

True, it was far from unheard of among the whispers in the court. Uncle Guilhem was widely suspected of it, and Geoffrey, Alias and those within the royal family essentially knew it to be fact. There was also Alias’ namesake, the late count of Perigord, who Geoffrey never confirmed but based on what he’d heard, and the way Berard, Ana and Alberic reacted to such rumors, there was little question in his mind.

But his brother?

What if someone else had found him?

The shame would have been terrible, rivaling anything Geoffrey had ever done, even the Sarrazine disaster. And it would be at the worst time - right when neither he nor Ælfflæd needed anything to fuel resistance of English lords against them. It was easy to envision them holding up Alias as a symbol of the evil and sin that would follow Angevin rule over the island, especially when linked with the tales of what had happened to Ælfflæd in Tunis.

I need to find a wife for him immediately. Perhaps Ælfflæd’s cousin… no that is still a few years off…

Geoffrey shook his head. He tried to remember that he had discovered Alias, not anyone else. So it could have been a disaster, but for now… it was not.

For now, Geoffrey thought. All that happens now is that it remains hidden. But that could change. One slip up. One mistake. One servant who sees something they shouldn’t… or a well placed spy who finds exactly what they need.

To say nothing of the sinful nature of it. Could he really allow his brother to venture down that road?

Be good to your brother.”

Geoffrey could hear his father’s voice clear enough, even now. It was among the final things he had told him. He did not remember everything about the rest of it… but he did remember asking: “I do not know what Alias shall want.”

His father had told him bluntly then: “It will be your job to learn.”

What would you say now, father,
Geoffrey wondered, now that I know what Alias desires… and it is a sin. And what you no doubt would consider an embarrassment. What would you have me do?

He sat in silence, hoping something would come to him. Some sign, some voice… some memory, something to help guide him.

Far from nothing came. But it was too much. Too many thoughts, too many possibilities, too many memories and moments… simply too much.

Trying his best to shut it out, Geoffrey dropped to his knees, and prayed in silence.

1136-Prince-Alias.jpg

….

Had they been in an army camp, Geoffrey wasn’t certain what he’d have done. But back at the manor in Sutton, he had more space to operate and could steer clear of his brother.

So he was able to think on the matter for some time on his own. Not that any easy answer was forthcoming.

On one hand, it was a sin, was it not? But why should he be surprised in a family that was awash in it? From his ancestor, who married the daughter of the devil, to his grandfather had murdered a man, married his wife and then years later, bedded her daughter. His father had consorted with heathens and had perhaps bedded his own sister.

And it was not as if his non-demonic side was any better. His mother had laid with a man who was not her husband, his grandmother helped murder his grandfather.
Bath in sin, one cannot be surprised that you end up soaked in it.

And his family had. Alias was a sodomite. Aines an attempted kinslayer. Of his full-blooded siblings, only Foulques seemed to be above it all. And as his mother so often said… perhaps God had called him to heaven as a result.

What did this bode for him? And his family? Would Prince Guilhem fall victim to vice as they had? Would his little Margo one day suffer?

If he wished to break the cycle perhaps it behooved him to take strong action on Alias. Demand he never venture down that path again. Threaten he would not receive Navarra if he was caught again. Surely that would force him to re-evaluate his choices.

But… he is my brother…

He had taken strong action against Aines, his sister, in the past. She’d been virtually exiled for the last few years. So it wasn’t as if he’d not punished blood before.

Yet, Aines had plotted the murder of his son. That was a far greater crime than sodomy, no matter how it was spun. Insult was far greater than injury.

And despite that crime, Aines was being slowly brought back. He had not stripped her of her betrothal to Duke Simon and that meant she was allowed to retain her status, dinged as her reputation was.

A temporary punishment was an option, but would it really be worth it given the nature of their offenses? Alias might have sinned, but he was loyal.

And for all his worry over how his father would have reacted, in some ways, Geoffrey had seen exactly how he had.

His father could have cast out Alias de Perigord. He could have moved against Duke Guilhem. He didn’t. Whether that was because they faked it well enough or not, Geoffrey did not know. But their private lives were not secret to the old king - of that much he was fairly certain.

And if his father would not force away his friend or bastard half-brother, could Geoffrey really be rid of his full-blooded younger brother who he had sworn to protect?

Maybe the old king had other reasons too. Perhaps having that over their heads made them less likely to betray him. And while Geoffrey had little interest in blackmailing his brother, it probably didn’t hurt to have that bit of extra reason for Alias to be appreciative.

But ultimately, every time he tried to bring himself to think of a punishment, he felt it was too harsh. From the threats, to other punishments besides a reprimand. How could he inflict worse upon Alias than any of his other family members had suffered for their transgressions?

And I just wanted to play with him, Geoffrey thought. I wished to be his brother for once. And now… now because of that I’m to be his king and nothing more?

His mind was still uncertain about a week after the incident, even though he had summoned Alias to meet him in the chamber in the manor home in Sutton.

How would Alias act? Repentant? Obstinate? Would he even think to deny it, saying Geoffrey had misunderstood what he’d seen? The king himself had wondered, almost hoped, for that very thing over the past few days.

The first hint may have been that Alias did not enter the chamber with his head held high. He was sheepish, shoulders slumped, head down, as if he were trying to hide in plain sight. If he had any defiance, he hid it well.

And in that moment, Geoffrey’s lingering anger faded. Instead he felt a pity… a sadness, for the brother he’d hoped to provide for, the brother he’d hoped to groom properly as his father requested. And with it came an urge… to protect him.

Alias stood opposite Geoffrey, who sat in the chamber at a table. The prince did not even place his hands on the chair before him, so Geoffrey had to motion for him to sit. Nervously, Alias did as he was told.

“You… you wished to see me,” Alias said.

Geoffrey nodded. “We must discuss… the stables.”

Alias’ eyes fell away from the king. “I am sorry, brother. I know there is no excuse for such things.”

“I do not know if that is true,” Geoffrey said. “I have thought on it this past week and I wonder if you really are to blame. Father’s court has never been a bastion of piety. The opposite in fact. I mean, look for who you were named!”

Alias picked his gaze up and met his brother’s, with brow raised.

“What are you saying?” Alias asked.

“It is not your fault,” Geoffrey said. “Our family has brought such things upon us with their past. But we will move past it.”

He poured Alias a cup of wine and placed it in front of him. “We will find you a wife quickly. A woman who is of age, who you can marry by the end of the year. And then you will have a duty, and can start fulfilling it, siring children, as I have. It did not take me long and I suspect it will not take you long either.”

Alias picked up the cup and stared at it in silence. Unable to let the silence hang, Geoffrey continued.

“You made a mistake,” Geoffrey said. “But you are my brother. I will not turn my back on you. I shall make sure you never want for a woman again, so that you need never turn to… that… ever again.”

Alias’ brow suddenly furrowed, and his lips, quivering, frowned. Shaking his head he turned his gaze back to Geoffrey.

“You think it is because I lacked women?” Alias asked. “You think it is something that I can just ignore?”

Geoffrey’s mouth hung open. Try as he might, he could not find the words. For he had no idea what to say without sounding ignorant.

“If I could ignore it… I would have,” Alias said. “I cannot.”

“Have you tried?” Geoffrey blurted out.

“Of course I tried!” Alias exclaimed. “I have been trying for years! I tried confessing to the priests. I tried some of the solutions they offered. I prayed the feelings would leave me. I thought perhaps with age, I would find a lady or a girl pretty. I even went to the whore house in Sutton after I… before, when we returned from Cornwall. The best I could manage was with… she was nearly your size and perhaps stronger. But it didn’t… I couldn’t with her. I can’t with any woman.”

Geoffrey shook his head. “You have to.”

“I can’t!” Alias shouted again, rising from his chair. But he grimaced and then fell back within it. Covering his face for a moment, he mumbled out: “Duke Guilhem. You know what they say of him. My namesake… Alias de Perigord as you point out. There are others too. I’m fairly certain our cousin Adhemar is too. I am not alone.”

“That is not my concern,” Geoffrey said. “I don’t care about them. There are expectations. You are a prince. You are expected to be married. To sire children. Can you imagine what mother would say? What father would do?”

“Father would hide me,” Alias said. “Or send me to Count Alias, if he lived, to figure out how to hide it. But mother… don’t tell mother. Please. She hates herself already. I don’t want to cause her grief.”

Geoffrey lowered his head. He knew that was true.

“We must… we must look to find you a wife,” Geoffrey said. “If the Sicilian emissary passes through here again on his way back south, perhaps we can have you meet him. Then a good word can be passed on to his liege.”

“What are you talking about?” Alias asked.

“A Norman emissary from the Kingdom of Sicily,” Geoffrey said. “Here in England to visit with the queen’s cousins and discuss marriage prospects. But the sister of the king is recently widowed and could be a fine match for you.”

“I don’t know,” Alias said.

“It doesn't matter,” Geoffrey told him. “I have been asking for your input for years now and I got nothing. I now know why and as you say, it hardly matters who I choose.”

Alias dropped his gaze and mumbled: “Yes, brother.”

The frown and sullen look in Alias’ eyes, now pinned to the wood of the table before him, brought back the feelings of guilt Geoffrey felt. If he did not blame Alias for this, why was he coming down on him so? Did his brother not deserve better? Was this awful feeling, this strained relationship what he wanted now? Or for the rest of their days?

Is this what their father, mother… or anyone else who cared for them wanted?

“Alias,” Geoffrey said. “I made an oath to father to see to it you were properly taken care of. Land, titles. As I have said before, I will fulfill that oath.”

“Thank you,” Alias said.

“I’m not finished,” Geoffrey said. He sighed. “You remain my brother. Short of betraying our family, that is always how it shall be. You will be Lord of Navarra. You will be one of my prominent lords. Your destiny… remains unchanged, even now. So I swear it.”

Alias picked up his gaze and met Geoffrey’s square. “Thank you, brother. I will not… I will not let you down.”

“I have never doubted you,” Geoffrey replied.

He was lying. He doubted Alias now. As much as he cared for his brother, he did. And he guessed Alias doubted him as well.

Eventually this would come out. Perhaps not directly, but indirectly, in the form of viscous rumors. They had dogged the Duke of Poitou. They had done so to the late Count of Perigord. Eventually, they would find their way to surround Alias as well.

What then? How would either of them know how to react?

There was no one word which could put them at ease. Maybe their father had that capability, but Geoffrey knew neither one of them possessed it.

So, the king took a deep breath and did something he did not do often - he spoke open and honestly.

“When I… when I found you, I heard you before I opened the stall,” Geoffrey admitted. “I knew you were with someone.”

Alias grew wide-eyed. “Then why?! Why couldn’t you just leave me alone?!”

Geoffrey lowered his gaze. “I wanted to have fun with you. For so much of our lives, I have been your king. In all of our conversations, all of our business. It is tiring. I haven’t been able to just be your brother in years. Maybe ever. I’ve seen Berard with Alberic, or Centolh and Rogier, that kinship. No politics. No titles. No land, promises or obligations. Just an older brother messing around with his younger brother. I thought it might have been nice to have such a moment with you.”

Alias shook his head. “And now… you never will.”

“No,” Geoffrey said. “For days, I have tried to let it change things. But I cannot fully shake the fact that I cannot bring myself to punish you. I don’t want you to resent me. I don’t want to resent you. We are brothers. Soon in arms, but always by blood. That is enough.”

“Even if I embarrass you?” Alias asked.

“I’m sure I have embarrassed you before,” Geoffrey said. “The Countess of Thouars, for example.”

Alias blushed and then began to grin, doing a poor job at trying to hide it.

“Yes, I know,” Geoffrey said. “I could see it on everyone’s faces.”

“Honestly, I kind of understood that one,” Alias said. “I just… the others...”

“Ana?” Geoffrey asked.

“No, she makes the most sense, even if I don’t think you should have,” Alias said. “It’s the scullery maid. The older, fat one who worked in the kitchens. That’s the one I never got. She’s old enough to be our mother.”

“How did you know about that?” Geoffrey asked.

Alias smirked. “When you try to hide things… you get better at seeing who else is hiding something.”

Geoffrey had hidden quite a few lovers over the years and he hadn’t quite figured out Alias, so he wasn’t sure about that.

Feeling the heat in his face, Geoffrey did finally answer: “She is not that old. Maybe a few years or little more than my wife. And she had a look about her that I enjoyed. And you should not be judging.”

“I am just doing as brothers, do, Geoff,” Alias replied. “Is that not what you wanted?”

Geoffrey sighed. “Well, at least I need not worry about the stable boy growing heavy with child, as the scullery maid did.”

Alias chucked. “You probably would be happy if he did. So that you might pass him off as a woman.”

Geoffrey pointed at Alias. “Don’t make this worse.”

Alias nodded and fell silent for a moment. “Thank you, Geoff. I will do my best.”

“I know you will,” Geoffrey told him. “Just… be a little better at hiding them than I was with Sarrazine. Or Ana. Or the scullery maid.”

“So don’t be like you at all,” Alias said. “Understood.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes but raised his cup toward his brother. Alias did the same. He did not know if it would be enough. But at the moment, he oddly felt it did not matter. In time they would get past it.

….

That time was not the next week however, as Geoffrey and Alias were still uneasy around each other. There wasn’t much the king could do about that - but he hoped it would fade in time.

At least Geoffrey was getting along with the rest of his family. He had finally fulfilled his promise to run around with Margo, having not been up to it after finding out about Alias. He’d joined Berard in watching Guilhem and Savarics play. And he was getting along fairly well with Ælfflæd, with the pair often coupling during the day, since at night they shared the chamber with their children.

And toward the end of that week, after one of their private times together in the morning, Centolh informed Geoffrey that they had a prominent visitor.

Geoffrey and Ælfflæd both were made to quickly make themselves as regal as possible, with the help of their servants. Once they were ready, they made their way to the main hall and took their seats upon the thrones Geoffrey had brought in.

A makeshift court was quickly put together for appearances, though it was little more than Geoffrey’s own commanders and household knights, Ælfflæd’s ladies, the children who had come with them all, along with some prominent individuals in the town to fill out the numbers - skilled artisans, traders and the like.

The doors opened and a man came forth at the head of a small group of armed men, though a cloaked girl, wearing plain clothing followed in behind. Dressed in mail and still wearing a helmet, Geoffrey did not recognize him on sight, nor even after he removed his helmet and dropped to a knee before the thrones, but was thankful Centolh had informed him before of his identity.

“King Geoffrey and Queen Ælfflæd,” Centolh began “May I present Duke Æthelsige of Somerset.”

1136-Duke-Aethelsige.jpg

“Uncle,” Ælfflæd said as she looked down upon him.

It was her aunt Gunhilda’s husband - the one who Ælfflæd had warned was perhaps a worse lecher than even Count Gui. Not someone Geoffrey wanted around any of his wife’s ladies, nor his wife, even if she had rejected his overtures before.

“Queen Ælfflæd,” Somerset said. Speaking in Frankish he added: “Thank you for receiving me.”

“Why are you here?” Ælfflæd demanded. “Where is my aunt? And is that my cousin behind you?”

“It is,” Somerset said. “Hextilda. Come forth and kneel before your queen.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened as the words slowly processed in his mind. Your queen. Had he heard them right?

Somerset continued, still on a knee: “Your aunt heads north to Lancaster as we speak.”

“Forget about that,” Geoffrey said. “Did I hear you right? You have come to acknowledge my wife as your rightful queen? And me your rightful king?”

Somerset narrowed his gaze at Geoffrey. Speaking slowly he said: “I have… come to recognize my lovely niece as my rightful queen, yes.”

“What of Wareham?” Ælfflæd asked. “Did Duke Foulquesson let you pass?”

“We escaped,” Somerset said. “I heard the man’s reputation and did not wish to place myself or my wife and daughter at his mercy. I arranged for the town’s surrender, once we were safely away.”

Coward, Geoffrey thought. But coward or not, he had abandoned the usurper. It could well be the dam was breaking.

“We accept your oaths,” Geoffrey told him. “What of your fellow lords?”

“As I was saying,” Somerset began, “My wife rides north to speak with her daughter Aevis. Duchess Adelise already makes her way south, as does Hlothere, the new Duke of Northumberland.”

“Æfrida has passed?” Ælfflæd asked.

“Aye, a little under a month ago,” Somerset said. “It is not common knowledge yet. But Hlothere has no desire to place his holdings at risk by fighting this war any longer.”

“If Aevis listens to auntie… that leaves just Maud and Sigeric,” Ælfflæd said.

“Maud is ready to talk,” Somerset replied. “She will not sacrifice herself for the girl. Sigeric… I think he already looks to you, my queen. For after his wife recently passed, rather than marrying a young girl, he has married my wife’s, and your late mother’s, youngest sister, Seaxburg of Kent.”

Ælfflæd’s eyes grew wide and she turned to Geoffrey. “They… they are…”

Geoffrey could not bring himself to say the words. But he knew it as well as she did. They had won.

He had a plan for when this happened, based on where it did. And who came first. They would have supped with Adelise. But Somerset was the enemy until moments ago - he could not be treated as well. Yet he could not be handled as a prisoner either - it had to be a middle ground.

“Duke of Somerset,” Geoffrey said as he stood. “My men will escort you and your daughter to the manor home in Plympton. Make no mistake, you will be treated with all honors a man of your station deserves.”

Somerset eyed Geoffrey as well as Ælfflæd. “Of course… King Geoffrey. Thank you and the queen for your generosity.”

The king then ordered Rogier and Alias to be the ones overseeing the escort, figuring a commander as well as the prince would be honorable enough. Plus it was a reminder to Alias that he was not punished for being caught in that compromising position.

Geoffrey smiled as he took the queen’s hand. She interlocked their fingers and squeezed tightly back.

1136-England-war-won.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I was a little underwhelmed by Eleanor's stats and the betrothal to Enril was unseemly even for me. Enril was twice her age and uncle through both parents. A Guilhem/Agnes marriage could lead to shenanigans with Agnes having one brother on English throne and another as Duke of Champagne. In at least two of the trials, Guilhem started as Duke of Poitou and switched to Aquitaine on 2April.

Congrats on England. Is the English Channel wide enough for the King and Queen, both to rule as they would like? Homosexual, deceitful and high intrigue, Prince Alias is the true spiritual child of Count Alias. Foulquesson on a good day is bad. Delivering a unwanted message to an angry Foulquesson, Duke Simon must hope that he is captured by the English. It is ironic that Prince Alias has a three star dip education but diplomacy is his third best stat. He has three virtues, but he is cynical, deceitful and homosexual.

• 1Like
Reactions: