• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The first portion of this scene with Marguerite reads very well indeed. I truly felt the hangover Geoffrey suffered from.

Thanks! I'm not great at descriptive scenes like that, so when one works it is pleasing.

You would think that a man like Geoffrey would know well alcohol's tongue-loosening effects on a man, and thus wouldn't get so roaring drunk in a place where he might say something incriminating. Then again, in the heat of the moment, there's always that temptation to take just one more cup... ;)

He would, but the it was a joyous occasion - perhaps one of the happiest Geoffrey has gotten to experience. It was a payoff of hard work and his beloved son reaps the benefits. It makes it even easier to just want to enjoy the moment with those around you. And I'm sure Thoræd was pushing him to match him drink for drink (which for reasons outlined below, may have left poor Geoffrey even more hungover than he'd have normally been).

Those hangovers can be a killer and always come at the most inopportune time.

Thoræd is somewhat short sighted. He is in basically what is an unwinnable situation and is jeopardizing his future needs. In this Geoffrey has a better handle of the situation.

Those moments of being a ruler where those you need interfere in the plans you have in motion. Then you are stuck with doing what is right and just or what is needed by you as the ruler.

It was certainly a poor time, though being in his own home gave him some cover. If he had been elsewhere, it would have been much harder to duck until he was sufficiently recovered.

Thoræd's situation is a mess and Geoffrey isn't the only one to realize it. He knows he has the power to tell Thoræd no, simply because regardless of victory or defeat, the king will probably still need him in the future. (And he does. I got Thoræd alliance offers every six months or so ;))

Well, there's that roundabout to your swing. You went on crusade and got the glory and the loot and the piety. If you wanted the land as well, you should have stayed there.

Yep. Though even if Thoræd stayed there, he'd still be screwed. Honestly, I've never defended a Holy War in this game against a far off territory, so I'm not sure how best to handle it. In any case, enjoy those celebrations Thoræd because the price for them is going to be steep.

A side note, I didn't show it, but he also stuck child lords in quite a few of the Holy Land territories... which... well doesn't strike me as wise, since no lord would pose a threat with their recently conquered modifiers depressing levies anyway. He would have been better off chucking his brother there, but the AI didn't do that.

that Thouars! what a fool... I see no way for Geoffrey to stay as a just Lord and as a friend at the same time

You're sadly right. Even if he keeps him, he can never fully trust him again. (Given that Geoffrey is trusting, probably stings even more) And if he fires him, well, that's the end of that friendship... you'll get your answer on it in the next part.

Ah! But he’s drinking ale!! Nobody can prepare themselves for that!

Ha! Ale and wine! Since both were available and Geoffrey's preference is wine, he almost certainly drank both. One with his people and then some ale with Thoræd... probably a great deal of it. The mix of drinks probably made it even worse!

To all, the next chapter will be out tomorrow. I have made pretty good progress. I've got the next four chapters done and dusted (though still requiring a proof reading maybe a little refinement) and are working on the ones that follow those. This section has so many juicy bits, I feel, so it's been a bit easy to get ahead and in front of it. Which is good, because the writer's bloc is always just around the corner.

Also the juiciest bit is still to come. I think it's the third chapter from now.

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, as usual!

Reactions:
Chapter 148 - February 1111
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 148
February 1111 - Bordeaux, France

Geoffrey tapped his fingers on the table, occasionally throwing a look up at Gerard of Thouars.

The marshal of Aquitaine sat across from him, in the duke’s chambers, having arrived just a few minutes before. And yet, after the pleasantries had been exchanged, Geoffrey found himself at a loss for words.

He knew what needed to be done. And for that, he had decided to do this outside of the main hall, so that it would not be in front of the eyes of the courtiers. They would know soon enough, but he did not wish to make this any worse than it had to be.

And it was already awful.

The hunchbacked Thouars seemed to pick up on his lord’s anxiety, as he nervously rubbed his palms together and stared at Geoffrey.

“Is there something wrong, my lord?” he asked.

Geoffrey grunted before pushing himself from the table and walking toward the stone wall of his chamber. Without turning back to the man who was the first to back him in Poitou, he said: “The peasants are being extorted - forced to hand over what they have, not to their lords, but to others.”

He glanced back to Thouars to see his eyes widen. His hands rubbed together even faster now.

“That… that is not good, my lord,” Thouars said. “Do you need me to send some men to hunt down these brigands?”

Geoffrey turned away and scowled. Damn it man, even now…

He did not hide the anger on his face when he turned back to the marshal. “These are brigands. These are my men. Under your command.”

Thouars gulped. “I… I am not certain what you mean…”

“Damn it!” Geoffrey exclaimed as he slammed the table, ratting the wine pitcher and cups on it. “You lie to me even now! I know they did so under your order! I have spoken to the local barons and mayors! I have talked to peasant leaders! They all implicate you!”

Thouars fell from the chair awkwardly, and then scrambled to his knees.

“Please, please, my lord,” he begged. “I made a mistake. I showed poor judgment.”

“Why?” Geoffrey demanded. “You have been my man for over a decade. You backed me before others in Poitou. And have I not treated you as a brother? People have criticized you, saying I should find a better marshal, but I stood fast, even overlooking the cousin I think highly of, and kept you. And this is how you reward my faith and loyalty?!”

“I had need of gold,” Thouars said. “I…”

“Need of gold?” Geoffrey scoffed. “I know you have plenty! Did you just want more? Could not resist what you thought was easy money? And now you put me in an impossible position! The peasants will be angry no matter the course I take!”

“I am sorry my lord…” Thouars reiterated. “I swear upon the life of my daughter, it shall not happen again.”

“You are right it will not,” Geoffrey said. “Because I am going to take pity on your daughter’s life by ending your time as my marshal.”

Thouars eyes widened. “You… you fire me? But… you said yourself, I supported you in Poitou before anyone else! I have always been a faithful ally! And you would cast me aside?!”

“You, as my marshal, as my representative, extorted money from the peasantry,” Geoffrey replied. “They are now furious with me, and think me a robber baron like my de Poitou cousins!”

“But as you said, what’s done is done,” Thouars pleaded. “They are angry and will be whether or not I am relieved of my duties!”

“Yes, they are angry because they see me as responsible!” Geoffrey exclaimed. “And now I must take action. It brings me no pleasure to do this. But it is necessary.”

“And what if it is not enough for them?” Thouars demanded. “Will you come for my lands next? Perhaps throw me in your dungeon?”

Geoffrey sighed and shook his head. “If I were a true villain, Gerard, I would do that now. But no, I do not scheme for your lands. In fact, to show that I wish to put this behind us, we will make official our plans for the betrothal of your daughter to my brother Philippe.”

“You… you fire me and expect me to hand my daughter to you?” Thouars demanded.

“I would think it in your best interest,” Geoffrey said. “I am in full rights to imprison you and take your lands, as you noted earlier. I am being lenient. I would think you would wish to show gratitude, not argue that you have not gotten off light enough.”

Thouars frowned but, while remaining on his knees, nodded. “It will be done. Sarrazine is promised to your brother.”

1111_Count_Gerard_fired.jpg

1111_Philippe_and_Sarrazine_betrothal.jpg

Geoffrey walked over to Thouars. Part of him wished to help the man up. Another part wished to kick him in the ribs. Instead, Geoffrey just instructed him to stand.

“It is done,” Geoffrey said. “This business with the peasantry. And our business here. Go. You may return to this keep when summoned.”

Thouars’ frown remained as he slowly slinked off, out of Geoffrey’s chambers and away, closing the door behind. Geoffrey, however, wished for it to remain open and moved to do so. When he did, he heard voices nearby.

“---your doing, Alias!” Thouars shouted. “This is your fault.”

“I did not tell you to extort the peasantry,” Alias said. “That is your doing. Was I not supposed to take this matter to Duke Geoffrey?”

“I said nothing to him, amid all the talk of your foul deeds,” Thouars replied. “Murdering kin. Laying with other men. And God only knows what else.”

“You speak of rumors,” Alias said. “When what you did was fact. There is no comparison.”

“He will never *&%$ you, sodomite,” Thouars spat. “No matter how much you desire it. Mark my words, you will pay.”

Heavy footsteps echoed as the two men went their separate ways, with Alias making for Geoffrey’s chambers. The Count of Perigord stopped upon seeing his lord, having realized Geoffrey likely heard the conversation.

“My lord… I…”

Geoffrey motioned for him to enter the chambers and closed the door behind the steward. After receiving something to drink, Alias managed to get a few more words out. “My lord, I do not know what you overheard in that argument but… Thouars is angry over my telling you of his misdeeds. So he lashes out and…”

Geoffrey smirked. “Alias, you have been my vassal for… what… 15 years? Do you think I have not heard the rumors he speaks of before?”

“And… you dismiss them?” Alias asked.

“I know that you have been my most loyal friend,” Geoffrey said. “And not just since I became Duke of Aquitaine, but I count you my most loyal friend of my whole life. You look out for me, you protect me, and you have always served loyally. Rumors are rumours. What is fact, is that you have been my man, through and through, and never given me reason to doubt you.”

And it helps that you are the one man I consider a brother who I trust will not try to lay with either my wife or sister, Geoffrey thought.

Meanwhile, Alias sighed as his breathing slowly seemed to return to normal. “I thank you for that, my friend. Many have been ruined by rumors far less viscous.”

“It is nothing, for what I have said,” Geoffrey told him. “Now, what is it you wished to see me about?”

“Bishop Emmanuel has told me that you have received the papal dispensation you seek on the marriage,” Alias replied. “You may go ahead with the betrothal.”

“Was it difficult?” Geoffrey asked.

“He may have pulled a few favors,” Alias admitted. “I do not think the pope ever saw the request. It likely was just passed to some favorable men in the church.”

“Ironic,” Geoffrey said. “Given the truth.”

“But it is a truth we cannot speak of,” Alias said. “So we must play the charade.”

Geoffrey sipped his drink and nodded.

The marriage in question was that of Geoffrey’s half-brother, Foulquesson, to Geoffrey’s daughter Beatritz. Officially, they were uncle and niece. In truth, they shared little blood as Beatritz was actually the daughter of Aubry Karling and Marguerite, not Geoffrey. It was what ultimately led to Geoffrey leaving Marguerite behind when he became Duke of Aquitaine. And it had led to another cold period in their marriage when Marguerite had confessed to it, but refused to leave Beatritz behind in Anjou to join Geoffrey in Aquitaine.

The latter had not been a proud moment for Geoffrey, as he had let his anger get the best of him. Now, he sought to rectify that mistake, and solve another problem as well.

“The Duchess and Beatritz await in the Duchess’ chambers,” Alias said. “I did not know you were going to speak to Thouars now, though. So I can inform them we will wait.”

“No,” Geoffrey said. “Let me wash this awful taste from my mouth with something joyous. I will satisfy my wife, and tie my brother to me.”

Alias went to get Foulquesson while Geoffrey began the walk to his wife’s chambers. As he reflected on the decision, he smiled, growing even more pleased with himself as he thought on it.

Should something happen to my son, I would much prefer my half-brother come to power than a child who is not mine. And should Marguerite birth another son, then it is just further protection against that.

Both duchess and 15-year-old Beatritz bowed when Geoffrey entered. He motioned for them to sit. Wine was already out, as were some dried fruits and bread.

“Your mother has told you what this is about?” Geoffrey asked Beatritz.

“Yes my lord,” she said. “I am grateful you arrange this union.”

He was aware Beatritz knew of her true parentage. Marguerite had told her the truth some time before, likely to soothe her daughter’s confusion over why her “father” seemed to resent her. But she seemed grateful enough now, likely realizing this was tacit acceptance of her status and she was unlikely to ever be disowned.

The duke got settled as he sat next to Marguerite, resting a hand on her belly. Her time was nearly here - the midwife said it could happen anytime in the next month.

He grew even more anxious now, as he felt the child move. Before, he did not think much of whether it would be a boy or girl. But between everyone confidently stating it would be a boy, to his own thoughts at how much surer succession if his long-term goal of re-establishing the Kingdom of Aquitaine would be if he had another son, he did not want to envision a situation where Marguerite gave birth to a girl.

That thought was put on hold, however, as Foulquesson entered. Despite being close in age to Foulques, Foulquesson appeared older. He was bulkier, with a full beard already on his pale face - a face that appeared curious as to he was summoned to a meeting with both his half-brother and the duchess.

1111_Foulquesson.jpg

“Is everything alright, brother?” Foulquesson asked as he sat across from the duke and duchess, with Beatritz seated to the side of the table.

“There was some foul business today with my marshal,” Geoffrey admitted. “He was guilty of extorting money from the peasantry. So I was forced to fire him… though he agreed to let your brother Philippe marry his daughter Sarrazine.”

“Oh,” Foulquesson replied.

Geoffrey could see the disappointment in his brother’s eyes. He suspected Foulquesson wanted the girl’s hand for himself - as Thouars had no sons, she was the heiress to the county. He probably suspected it was his best chance at securing something resembling a fief.

“But I do not think it is right for your younger brother to have a promised and you not to,” Geoffrey said. “So I have decided to rectify that. You shall marry… my Beatritz.”

Foulquesson’s eyes widened and he turned to look at his newly promised. The teens both had begun to blush.

“Brother,” Foulquesson began, “I am honored and flattered. But will there not be a problem due to the closeness of…”

“It has already been taken care of,” Geoffrey said. “I would never have proposed it otherwise.”

“Propose?” Foulquesson asked. “You mean to tell me that I can say no?”

“I am not in the business of forcing such things,” Geoffrey said. “I have little desire to see my daughter and my brother unhappy. This is a union to strengthen our bonds after all.”

Words meant to soothe. But Geoffrey never expected his brother to refuse it, not when a couple of untimely deaths and an unlikely birth would make him arguably the most powerful man in the realm.

Foulquesson took a deep breath. “Brother… I did not expect to receive such generosity from you. If this is what you wish, then I will be honored to take your daughter’s hand.”

“Then it is done,” Geoffrey said. “We shall have the ceremony in a few months, when Beatritz turns 16.” He turned to Marguerite? “Am I forgetting anything, wife?”

“Though it is not technically accepted by the church,” Marguerite said. “We do you give you two permission to know each other, if you will, before the union.”

“Ah,” Geoffrey said. “Yes. Since the ceremony is so close at hand anyway, we see no problem in this. Of course, if you wish to wait, there is no problem in that either.”

Foulquesson turned even redder now than he had before, with a nervous grin on his face. Beatritz mirrored him, though she covered her mouth with her hand.

“You are quite generous brother,” Foulquesson said. “And you as well, my lady. Thank you.”

1111_Foulquesson_Beatritz_betrothal.jpg

“Then that is it,” Geoffrey said. “You are both free to go.”

Foulquesson stood as Beatritz did. They took a glance toward one another and then awkwardly tried to grab each other’s hands, before slowly leaving the chambers and closing the door.

Geoffrey did not know whether they intended to take them up on the offer of an early consummation of the union, or if they just held hands as a show of what was to come. But it was irrelevant. It was done.

“There, you can rest assured now that Beatritz will remain in the line,” Geoffrey told Marguerite.

“Thank you for that,” Marguerite said. “Even if it benefits you just as much by giving your brother less reason to act against you.”

“He probably still wishes for a fief of his own,” Geoffrey said. “I imagine he dreams of me giving him something after I defeat Patricia.”

“And will you?” Marguerite wondered. “I would think our son a better candidate. What better way for him to learn what he must in the time ahead than by ruling over his own lands?”

“I do not know he is ready yet,” Geoffrey admitted. “He remains so focused on being a knight… is he ready to be a lord?”

“Can you imagine what you would have said had your father said the same of you?” Marguerite asked. “That you are so focused on your studies to be a lord?”000

“I do not need to imagine,” Geoffrey said. “For he said far worse.”

She took his hand. “Husband, our son will have to learn somehow. What better way than now, when you will be able to guide him if he struggles?”

She made a fair point. Though who was to say Foulques would listen to what Geoffrey had to say? He did now, but things might change as his own lord. After all, Geoffrey had always disagreed with his father, but it was not until he became Duke of Aquitaine, that he developed much more of a taste toward outright opposing him. He did have a better relationship with his son but…

And then there was Foulquesson. Tied to him in theory, but giving him some land might completely bind him for the rest of his life. And Herve had spoken to Foulquesson’s ambition and martial - perhaps as a Count of Vannes, the Breton county Geoffrey thought of giving him, he might strive to take more of Brittany to make a name for himself.

And there were other candidates. Herve himself - though a baron, Geoffrey could give him more. Agnes’ son Louis was still young, but what better way to win his sister’s favor than by landing her son? Of course, Geoffrey loathe to give the spawn of the worthless Henri de Boulogne anything, but if it helped get into Agnes’ good graces…

Or he could look to his cousin, Edouard. That too might please Agnes, given it would make her daughter Beatrice a countess. Or perhaps he could choose among his half-brothers, Guilhem, Ancel or Charles.

But he would have to decide soon. Representatives from Marsan had reached Geoffrey a few days prior, looking to cut a deal. Patricia was looking to arrange a resolution - likely because Peronelle was going to to expel her for fear of retaliation from Geoffrey. The war would soon be at an end.

Geoffrey sighed as he glanced to Marguerite. “I have much to think on.”

1111_Patricia_surrenders.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Foulquesson deserves some lands... and as I said before... once a King he might have to give up some duchies... better into the family anyway

Reactions:
Much indeed to think upon, but it is a good sign that he considers Marguerite's point with the seriousness it deserves.

Reactions:
Thouars should consider himself lucky. Geoffrey could have dropped the keep on him but just fired him. I do wonder if Thouars actually realizes how lucky he is or will he somehow resist forcing Geoffrey to take his lands. The classic case of a trusted supporter overstepping their bounds thinking they are immune to punishment.

I thought that it was an interesting way to bind Foulquesson to Geoffrey. Geoffrey does need to give out some land to secure himself better.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey did end up doing the right thing with Thouars - and in doing so freeing himself of a pretty mediocre Marshal. So who will replace him? Herve? Or indeed Foulquesson himself, instead of giving him a county? That’s a pretty good martial score he’s got ...

Dispensations, offers of early consummation... at least Geoffrey is not a hypocrite in the latter and went through the legal niceties with the former. He is far more nuanced that old Foulques - and rather effective for it.

Interested to see when - with Patricia now sorted - he starts to make some serious plays for the Aquitaine ambition. I wouldn’t like to be the one to get in the way of one of Geoffrey’s heartfelt ambitions! :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulquesson deserves some lands... and as I said before... once a King he might have to give up some duchies... better into the family anyway

I do aim to keep my lands within the family. The proximity of him to the main line aids his chances at getting something as well. But you'll see how it plays out soon.

Much indeed to think upon, but it is a good sign that he considers Marguerite's point with the seriousness it deserves.

It helps that it is their son she talks about, as Geoffrey does care for his son and wishes the best for him. But as he noted to Simon a few chapters ago, he can count on Marguerite having the best interest of the younger Foulques at heart.

Thouars should consider himself lucky. Geoffrey could have dropped the keep on him but just fired him. I do wonder if Thouars actually realizes how lucky he is or will he somehow resist forcing Geoffrey to take his lands. The classic case of a trusted supporter overstepping their bounds thinking they are immune to punishment.

I thought that it was an interesting way to bind Foulquesson to Geoffrey. Geoffrey does need to give out some land to secure himself better.

I could have imprisoned Thouars, I definitely could have yanked the county from him. If I were playing conventionally, I would have. But since I am role playing, I figured his previous actions earned him a more lenient punishment. Of course, when he sees his status lost and possibly never to be regained, it can be hard to see the forest for the trees.

There will be more land decisions upcoming. Including in this upcoming chapter!

Geoffrey did end up doing the right thing with Thouars - and in doing so freeing himself of a pretty mediocre Marshal. So who will replace him? Herve? Or indeed Foulquesson himself, instead of giving him a county? That’s a pretty good martial score he’s got ...

Dispensations, offers of early consummation... at least Geoffrey is not a hypocrite in the latter and went through the legal niceties with the former. He is far more nuanced that old Foulques - and rather effective for it.

Interested to see when - with Patricia now sorted - he starts to make some serious plays for the Aquitaine ambition. I wouldn’t like to be the one to get in the way of one of Geoffrey’s heartfelt ambitions! :eek:

I was pleased with ditching a poor marshal. I don't always stick my best available martial score character in the role, since I want them commanding armies, but Thouars was really bad, even for my standards. Foulquesson is likely to find himself in command, rather than marshaling the duchy.

Unstated here (but will be seen in her character screen in a future update) the young Beatritz is lustful, so I did not want to wait around with her. (With her so close to inheritance, I want her children to be all legitimate and all by Foulquesson, since she is not Geoffrey's) That goes for the marriage, which took place ASAP when she turned 16, but translated loosely here in the permissions Geoffrey and Marguerite handed out. But yeah, that nuance is a big difference. I was always mindful to what I had Foulques say (perception is important) but with Geoffrey I tend to have an added layer to add some subtlety. That becomes a bit more apparent in a few chapters when he gets into a bit more politics.

Which... ties into your third question! We have a little more housekeeping in the next two/three updates. Then we'll dabble in some realm politics. (Was writing that chapter today)

Herve for Marshal! Herve for Marshall!

I was tempted. Very tempted. But I also figured Geoffrey will be at war soon enough, and I wanted Herve in the field. There's no person Geoffrey trusts more to command his forces, and unlike King Hugues, he's not going to stick his best leader in a keep to organize soldiers when he could be winning on the battlefield.

To all, the next chapter follows. It deals with a few different things, but both are pretty major events in Geoffrey's life. And yet, they may well be overshadowed by events soon to follow. Which is odd, but the crazy way things happened in these turbulent few months in Bordeaux.

I'll note, I debated whether to include the second scene. But it exists for a reason in the larger narrative. I hope you all enjoy.

As always thanks for the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 149 - March 1111
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 149
March 1111 - Bordeaux, France

As Geoffrey sat in his ducal chair, he did his best to resist a smile.

The main hall in Bordeaux was packed. It was not quite as filled as when King Hugues or King Thoræd were present, as today there was no royal visiting.

But people will always come to see punishment meted out, Geoffrey thought. Especially if it is someone of stature - a good fall always makes for a show.

And the show was about to begin.

Herve and Foulques, dressed in their full armor, marched into the hall at a the head of a small group of knights and guardsmen. They flanked their prisoner, who was marched along in irons. Geoffrey imagined the prisoner would have preferred to get this over quickly, but Foulques and Herve deliberately took their time. The pace was slow, so that the insults, cursing and mockery from the crowd gathered could be properly taken in.

When they reached the base of the dais, Foulques stepped forward.

“Father,” he said. “I bring you a gift.”

One of the knights shoved Patricia de Poitou forward. Despite the irons, she did not appear in poor shape - her clothes were intact, her face and hair clean. That was not surprising - she had surrendered herself not far outside of Bordeaux after agreeing to terms… terms that her daughter would allowed to remain in Peronelle’s court unmolested.

And the Countess of Saintonge and Poitou held her head high as she was forced forward. A jab of the butt end of a spear forced her to her knees, but she did not make much more than a small grunt on its impact, despite the jeers from the hall.

Geoffrey raised his hands and the hall fell silent.

“My dear cousin,” Geoffrey began. “I am glad you have finally answered my summon!”

That joke drew a laugh from many in the hall, though it failed to reach raucous levels. Still, he saw smirks on both Foulques and Herve’s face. Even Marguerite, seated beside him, had a sly smile.

“Cousin, do you know your charge?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes,” Patricia said, her head down.

“Look at me when you answer,” Geoffrey ordered.

Patricia’s head snapped up, her eyes shooting daggers with her glare. “Yes.”

“You plotted against my life,” Geoffrey said. “When I offered you forgiveness, you took up arms against me. What do you say to that?”

“I did not actively plot against you,” Patricia said as she continued to glare at him. “I heard of Gerolt’s plan. I did not tell you of it. But I did not raise a hand against you either.”

“So you say,” Geoffrey said. “But why should I trust the word of a woman who breaks her vassal oaths, and refused an audience, to take up arms when I offered forgiveness?”

“It was a mistake, clearly,” Patricia admitted.

“Yes, especially since Gerolt is dead,” Geoffrey said. “God has punished him. And now, he has punished you.”

1111_Geoffrey_rival_dead.jpg

If Patricia wished, she could have hurled an accusation of Geoffrey’s adultery which sparked Gerolt’s spark in the first place. But Geoffrey banked on his cousin wishing to secure the most lenient punishment possible, which would make her wary of being too defiant or insulting.

Sure enough, Patricia remained silent.

“You have broken your oaths in the most heinous way possible,” Geoffrey said. “What is a fitting punishment? I ask all of you, what is a fitting punishment for a traitor to our lands?!”

The crowd shouted a cacophony of things. There were plenty of calls to kill her, in a variety of ways - burning her, hanging her, beheading her… others said to strip her of her lands and there were calls of banishment.

“You want blood?!” Geoffrey shouted back at the hall. “Wife, does your aunt deserve death, or mercy?”

Marguerite, now practically bursting with child, shifted in her seat, perhaps as uncomfortable with the question as her full-term pregnancy made her feel.

“We are not kinslayers, my lord husband,” Marguerite said. “I think stipping her lands is punishment enough - she broke her oaths, so she should not be allowed to serve as your vassal.”

There were some cheers from hall, but many more boos and jeers. Geoffrey let the noise grow to a fevered pitch before again raising his hands to quiet the crowd.

“I have made my decision!” Geoffrey said. “Cousin, you have violated your oaths, and there can be no forgiveness.”

His eyes met Patricia’s. He could see the defiance was gone - replaced now by fear.

“Your lands are forfeit,” Geoffrey announced. “You are no longer Countess of Saintonge or Poitiers.”

There was no change in Patricia’s expression. She had to know that was coming. What came next would be ultimately what she dreaded.

“My wife… the lady may be perhaps too lenient,” Geoffrey said. “Too forgiving. But she is correct - House d’Anjou are not kinslayers. So you shall keep your life cousin.”

Patricia exhaled.

“But you cannot be trusted with your freedom,” Geoffrey said. “You will spend your days as a prisoner in this keep, until I see fit to release you.”

Patricia’s eyes widened as she began to shake her head. “My lord, no please! Let me leave, I swear upon my life… the life of my daughter I shall never plot against you!”

“Your word means nothing,” Geoffrey said. “As you have already broken your oaths. Take her away!”

Patricia screamed as the guards grabbed her, pleading with first Marguerite, who watched her unmoved, and then Adhemar, yelling that their mother would never let this happen to her beloved little sister.

Geoffrey noticed Adhemar, standing off to the side, lowered his head and frowned. It may well have affected him.

But Marguerite was stone faced. And Geoffrey knew what she was thinking… Aines de Poitou would not have pitied her sister - she may well have killed her outright for moving against her family.

The sounds of Patricia were drowned out quickly by the noise of the crowd, again a mix of cheers and jeers from those who were angry they did not get an execution. Her cries grew even fainter as she was dragged from the hall and led to the dungeons.

1111_Patricia_imprisoned.jpg

Geoffrey then stood up, and again motioned for the hall to fall silent.

“My father… the great Iron Duke Foulques of the Franks, the one thing defeat he suffered, was the loss of Saintonge,” Geoffrey said. “It was the one land, he never completely reclaimed. Today, I stand proudly to say, Father, I have completed your mission!”

That drew cheers from the crowd and applause from the councilors. Even Agnes nodded along.

“But!” Geoffrey said. “But I did not take this land, for myself. While I am happy to have fulfilled my father’s dream, it is not the way I wished it. And as such, I will not keep these lands for myself.”

He paused to take a glance toward Marguerite, who answered with a slight nod and smile.

“Foulques d’Anjou, my son, step forward,” Geoffrey instructed.

The teen fought hard to avoid showing too much joy as he moved again to the foot of the dais. Geoffrey descended to the step above, and Foulques dropped to a knee.

“My son, I believe you are ready,” Geoffrey said. “You have learned under my father, your grandfather. And you have spent the last year with me. Do you believe yourself ready to serve the people of Saintonge and Poitiers as their lord?”

“I am father,” Foulques said. “I mean, I do believe myself ready.”

Geoffrey smiled. “Then take my hand. And swear to me your oaths, remembering that our cousin serves as an example as to those who do not take those sacred vows seriously.”

1111_Foulques_granted_fief.jpg

…..

Not long after, Geoffrey and Marguerite stood alone in the strategy hall.

The pair awaited their son and his wife for a private audience. Geoffrey planned to deliver some advice to Foulques on what to expect when ruling. Marguerite also wished to impart on Æthelræda the importance of her support and loyalty for her husband.

Hypocritical a demand as it was in Geoffrey’s point of view, he had little desire to see his son suffer a similar fate to him when it came to wives.

But he did have one current concern of Marguerite - one that came to fore one more as Marguerite grimaced before leaning her hand on the large table in the center of the hall and gripping her belly.

“Are you alright?” Geoffrey asked.

“The child comes,” Marguerite said. “Soon, I think.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “Then we must alert the midwife.”

“I had Anne already instruct her,” Marguerite said. “They prepare my chambers now.”

“Then perhaps we should conduct this meeting there,” Geoffrey said.

“No, they prepare it for my labors,” Marguerite said. “This is to be a private conversation between ourselves, our son and his wife. I do not want others to overhear.”

“I do not wish you to risk yourself or the child,” Geoffrey said.

“My waters have not broken yet husband,” Marguerite said. “This child will not come before then.”

It did a little to put Geoffrey’s mind at ease, though it did not last long as another grunt escaped Marguerite’s lips. He could order her away, but deferred to the fact she had birthed three children before. This is woman’s work, after all, he mused.

Foulques and Æthelræda soon arrived, neither bothering to hide their joy over what had just transpired. Geoffrey had told them before he held court, but now that the deed had actually been done, it no doubt created a new feeling of euphoria.

“We apologize for making you wait, father, mother,” Foulques said. “So many interrupted us along our way here to give us their congratulations.”

“They would not miss the chance to get in the good graces of an important man,” Geoffrey said. “You were that before, but now you rise even further. One of the most powerful men in Aquitaine, Poitou and Anjou.”

Foulques gulped but maintained his smile, though his quivering lips betrayed his nerves.

“I shall not fail you father,” Foulques swore.

“If I thought you would, you would not have been raised,” Geoffrey said as he patted him on the back. “However, you are young. And your grandfather’s focus was on your future as a knight. So you must keep certain things in mind now that you rule over others as a count.

“It is important that they know you have power. But power wielded indiscriminately loses its effectiveness, whereas power exercised at certain times increases its potency.

“An example today - I emphasized I had offered forgiveness to my cousin. When she refused it, I had to be swift, and forceful. It reminds those present that I have the power, and will use if necessary, but that if they act accordingly, they have no need to fear it.”

“Thank you for that, father,” Foulques said.

“There are other things,” Geoffrey said. “Which you shall no doubt learn in time. Do not hesitate to ask of me if you have questions. And if I am with the king and cannot be reached, then Alias or your aunt Agnes are fine mentors as well. Both have served powerful men, ruled in their stead, and done so with great success.”

Foulques nodded. “I will father. I…”

“What is it?” Geoffrey asked.

“Thank you. I did not know if you would truly think me ready,” Foulques said. “But I know you never received such a thing from grandfather - that you had to take your birthright yourself. It means much for you to entrust me with this.”

Geoffrey smiled and again patted his son on the back.

“You are ready,” Geoffrey said. “Ready does not mean you will not make mistakes. But ready does mean you are prepared to learn from them.”

As sniffle drew their eyes to Marguerite, who wiped her eyes.

“Forgive me,” she said. “I notice I am much more prone to tears when carrying a child.”

“It is nothing to be forgiven for,” Geoffrey said.

Marguerite smiled and looked to Æthelræda. “Princess, and now countess, you too have responsibility. Your husband will bear much of the brunt of what is to follow - as both a knight, commander and now lord. And that is where you must take your role.

“You must be a wife who supports and understands. You must step forth when he needs you, to fill what he cannot. It is a duty that takes no rest.”

On cue, Marguerite grunted as another pain caused her to grip the table as well as her belly, causing Æthelræda to reach out and try to aid her. But in a few moments, Marguerite smiled at her daughter by law. “As you see with me now, quite heavy with child, I stand beside my husband to give him what he needs of me… and so too my son.”

Æthelræda nodded, though her face did appear somewhat fearful. Her inexperienced mind likely raced with possibilities and concerns. Marguerite must have realized it too, as she left her position leaning against the table to place her hand on the back of Æthelræda.

“You will need to learn him, if you have not already, to know how and best to do that,” Marguerite instructed. “It will take time. But I have no doubt that if you are a willing, loyal wife, it will come.”

She can be warm when she wishes to be, Geoffrey thought. But his attention was soon taken from her words and to the skirt of her dress, which he noticed now appeared to have gotten wet. He did not notice they had spilled any wine.

“I will endeavor to live up to your standard, my lady,” Æthelræda said.

Marguerite blushed. “You need to do better than that my dear. I am hardly a standard worth aspiring to.”

Æthelræda appeared confused, and Geoffrey realized the girl might not fully understand the history of his and Marguerite’s marriage. The worst of it happened when she was just a babe in England after all - and she may well not have been well versed in Frankish gossip.

But there would be no explanation as Marguerite grimaced again, and this time, the grimace did not fade. Instead her eyes bulged, she screamed and she was brought to her knees as Æthelræda quickly moved to hold her the best she could. Small and slight, the princess could not keep Marguerite from sinking all the way to the ground.

“Mother!” Foulques shouted as he rushed to her side.

“I am fine,” Marguerite said through rapid breaths. “Your sibling comes, is all.”

“Get the midwife!” Foulques ordered Æthelræda. “Send her to her chambers!”

“She is already there,” Geoffrey said. “Is that not right, wife?”

Marguerite nodded. “She is. I told her my time was nearly here and they are preparing my chambers now. Just tell her we are on our way.”

Æthelræda nodded before running off. Then Geoffrey and Foulques got Marguerite to her feet and slowly helped her toward the exit of the hall with Geoffrey reassuring himself that these things took time.

But Marguerite screeched at the top of her lungs, grabbed her belly and sank out of their grasp and to the ground. And it had been not long since her last cry of pain.

“It comes quickly,” she warned as she gritted her teeth. “I do not know that I shall make it to my chambers.”

“You shall mother, just be strong,” Foulques insisted.

It drew a glare from her. “I have birthed three children, yourself included, and stood here while my labors begin to impart wisdom upon you and your wife. I think I know strength, my son.

Foulques lowered his head, but then he and Geoffrey helped her to her feet. They had not yet made it to the door of the hall before Marguerite had ended up nearly falling once more, and crying out as she dug her fingers into the arms both her husband and son.

“Did you not have until your waters break?” Geoffrey asked.

“They broke while I spoke with Æthelræda,” Marguerite said.

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. He realized now the wetness he spotted on her dress.

Another cry and Marguerite fell to the floor. This time she came to rest on her rear, leaning forward to grip her belly while tears streamed down her shut eyes.

When she opened them, she gave Geoffrey a fearful look and simply shook her head.

“Enough,” Geoffrey said. “Son, go to your mother’s chambers and tell them to prepare here instead.”

Foulques looked uncertain, as if he did not wish to leave his mother. But she waved him off and the teen hurried from the hall. As he left, she grimaced again, gripping Geoffrey’s hand so tightly it hurt him.

“This child does not wish to wait,” she said between breaths. “Do not tell this to our eldest, but I think it wishes to steal his day.”

Geoffrey could not resist a chuckle at his wife’s humor. “Incredible that you remain in good spirits.”

“I do not jest husband,” Marguerite said, her lips forming no trace of a smile. “This child… I am certain now that it is a boy. And that he shall make for his brother’s lands in time.”

She screamed again as another pain coursed through her.

“He comes now,” she moaned. “I have done this three times before and this is how I felt just before the nun Adalmode told me to push. I do not know how much longer I can wait.”

Geoffrey did not know what to do. This was women’s business through and through. Women attended to an expectant mother. Woman waited on her needs. And a woman delivered the child.

And yet he was perhaps moments away from having to do all of those things… without the slightest idea on how to do it.

“I should not have sent Æthelræda away…” Geoffrey said. “She could have aided you.”

“What would she do?” Marguerite demanded. “She is a princess who, perhaps, has watched her mother birth a child before. She knows nothing.”

“But I know even less,” Geoffrey said. “I have never seen a woman birth a child. When your pains came with Foulques, you went with Adalmode and that was it. I was not even with you when it happened.”

Marguerite grunted and let loose a muffled scream before glaring at Geoffrey. “I do not think your son cares for your worry at the moment. Help me to the table, husband, please.”

His heart was racing so quickly, Geoffrey felt as if it might burst from his chest. But he did his best to steady himself as he guided Marguerite as she struggled to make her way back to the center of the strategy hall.

But just before they reached the table, the door opened and the midwife, along with Æthelræda, Princess Anne and Ness entered, carrying blankets. Foulques did as well, carrying the birthing chair.

The teen rushed forward and placed by his mother, who thanked him as he and Geoffrey lowered her onto it.

The midwife was forward quickly and examined Marguerite, with Geoffrey grabbing Foulques and forcibly turning his back from the proceedings.

“The duchess is right,” the midwife said. “This child does not wait. It will be here soon. We shall do this here, as Duke Geoffrey has generously allowed.”

“I trust you need little more of me, or my son,” Geoffrey said, his back still turned. He was going to call her by her name, but realized he did not know it.

“We shall take it from here, my lord,” the midwife said. “You may not wish to go far, however. I do not think it shall be long.”

Geoffrey then ushered Foulques from the hall and closed the door behind. By this point there were quite a few gathered the entrance to the hall, including Agnes, Alias and Adhemar. But Geoffrey instructed them all to depart, save for the councilors and his sister.

“What has happened?” Alias asked. “Word already spreads the duchess collapsed and is in great danger.”

“She is not,” Geoffrey said, though he was not certain his words were truthful. “The child comes much quicker than we expected. So she was not able to return to her chambers for the birth.”

“So it happens in there?” Agnes wondered.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “Would you like to enter, sister? Your expertise may well be valuable.”

Agnes pointed herself, as if surprised at the request. But she shook her head.

“I shall not intervene,” Agnes said. “That is the midwife’s domain. And I am not one of the duchess’ ladies.”

“How did my sister fare when you left her?” Adhemar asked.

“She was brave, she is brave,” Geoffrey corrected himself. “There is no panic in her, even as she deals with the unexpected. It is… admirable.”

There was nothing but truth in his compliment. He never felt more respect toward Marguerite than he did at the moment, when she had a far more level head than he, even as she suffered through tremendous pain and uncertainty.

“Leave us,” Geoffrey said. “My son and I shall await the news. You shall all hear shortly.”

The three did as they were told, leaving father and son alone. Foulques rubbed his hands together and paced, looking back at the door. Though it was closed, he could hear muffled cries on the other side.

“Do you think mother is in danger?” he asked. “This is not how it is supposed to go.”

“The speed may be a good thing,” Geoffrey said. “I have heard stories of women who have difficult labors, struggle for days to birth the child. It often causes problems. That your brother wishes to come so quickly… I think it will bode well.”

“Brother?” Foulques asked.

“Forgive me,” Geoffrey said. “Your mother is convinced it will be a boy. But we shall see.”

And that’s all Geoffrey would mention of that talk. There was no need to poison the siblings to one another before one had even entered the world.

There was not much time to wait on that however, as the midwife’s analysis proved accurate. Geoffrey and Foulques soon heard the sound of a cry in the hall, but one that was not that of a woman’s.

The door soon opened with Anne poking her head out.

“My lord! It is a boy!” she said, wide smile on her face.

Geoffrey and Foulques took a glance at one another before the entered the hall. The midwife was just handing the child to Marguerite, who was sweating and still in her dress. However, Geoffrey noticed the skirt had been cut away, leaving her lower half exposed.

Geoffrey quickly spun Foulques around again so that he could not see his mother so… indecently.

“Forgive me,” Geoffrey said. “I suppose we were anxious to see that everything had turned out well.”

“The birth has,” the midwife said. “But there is still more to follow.”

“Twins?” Foulques asked.

“No,” the midwife said. “The afterbirth. I would suggest, my lord, that you make this short, and then leave us once more. Also, a litter, if possible, so that the duchess may be carried to her chambers.”

Geoffrey snapped his fingers. He should have thought of that before!

“Of course,” Geoffrey said. “We will leave you to your work.”

He leaned in quickly and kissed Marguerite on the forehead. “I do not know what to say.”

She managed a smile. “You did enough husband, I thank you. And you as well, my son.”

Foulques lowered his head but did not turn back to his mother. Geoffrey could see he blushed.

The two then left the hall and closed the door behind. Geoffrey instructed his son to inform his aunt, uncle and Alias of the news, which the teen did without the delay.

The duke turned back toward the now closed hall. As he heard the cry of the boy once more, Geoffrey breathed a sigh of relief.

1111_Geoffrey_the_Younger.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
“You are ready,” Geoffrey said. “Ready does not mean you will not make mistakes. But ready does mean you are prepared to learn from them.”

I particularly liked that line. Geoffrey is wise in many ways. But also fails to notice when his wife's waters break despite seeing the evidence of it, and this after a 'forest for the trees' earlier in the chapter. I enjoyed these sorts of contrasts when we saw them with Foulques IV and I'm enjoying them with Geoffrey.

Also fascinated to see that you landed your heir! Willingly this time! Can't wait to see what AI Foulques gets up to :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
So in the first generation we had Foulques "the Iron Duke" and Geoffrey, sons of Geoffrey of Gatinais and adoptive heirs of Geoffrey "Martel." Iron Duke Foulques then had two sons, the present Duke Geoffrey and Foulques "Foulquesson." And now Geoffrey has two sons, also named Foulques and Geoffrey... If this keeps up, Angevin family gatherings are going to get mighty confusing. (Also, one of these days, one of these men is going to have a third son, and will be utterly at a loss as to what to name him :p )

And, of course, there's the whole "tempting fate" aspect... Thus far it seems like every Foulques / Geoffrey pair has been fraught with drama, though Geoffrey and his own son seem thus far to be a happy exception.

Geoffrey may not (yet) be literally seeing his late father in his dreams, but I get the sense that he's still haunted by the Iron Duke's ghost in a sense. Both of the two scenes revolve around Geoffrey accomplishing something that his father never did, and the pride he derives from it.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
He will never *&%$ you, sodomite,”

“That you are so focused on your studies to be a lord?”000

What’s with the strange symbols?

So I’ve had a bit of catching up to do: I like the cut of Geoffrey’s jib, whether plotting dynastic matches or dealing with his ‘friend’ but not ally, Thoraed. Or cementing his filial bonds and sorting out recalcitrant Councillors. All as skilfully handled as the excellent language and prose which you have used to embellish your tale. The tone has changed with our new Fuke but I can’t help but think that Geoffrey is set for greatness beyond his father...we shall see.

A last point: would holy church really have offered papal dispensation for marriage of uncle to niece? Not sure about that but at least you tried to explain it haha.

Bravo though: superior writing in every way and full justification for all those awards you recently won ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The overwhelming impression I have from this update is how it emphasises the tyranny of the biological. I think of a phrase I first encountered in "Memory" by Lois McMaster Bujold "All true wealth is biological" - you can see that reflected here as well I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well done, paying more heed and drama to the birthing than the nonchalant screenshot we normally see. Having had my hand crunched a few times under these circumstances, that certainly rang true! ;)

Are you selecting the names yourself or just going with what the ‘die roll’ provides? If the former, is this to match Angevin OTL history (which I’m not much au fait with)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh dear...sibling rivalry always gets worse when a new crown is up for grabs. Wonder if it will end with one of them killing the current duke/king and starting a civil war?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey did a nice performance in dealing with his cousin and his son.

I like the birthing scene since I lived it. I can relate to Geoffrey and Foulques horror and the helplessness having been there. Nothing like being in the middle of the Baby and Toddler Exhibition and have your wife tell you her water just broke and you are 30 miles from the hospital. Real fun speeding down the Pennsylvania Turnpike to get to the hospital in time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
so... we shall see what this new Geoffrey would do in the future...

Reactions:
I particularly liked that line. Geoffrey is wise in many ways. But also fails to notice when his wife's waters break despite seeing the evidence of it, and this after a 'forest for the trees' earlier in the chapter. I enjoyed these sorts of contrasts when we saw them with Foulques IV and I'm enjoying them with Geoffrey.

Also fascinated to see that you landed your heir! Willingly this time! Can't wait to see what AI Foulques gets up to :eek:

That was a line I enjoyed a great deal upon proofreading/re-reading. It struck me as one of the wiser things he's actually said.

But we all have our expertise. I thought of having him realize Marguerite's impending labor/birth, but thought better of it. What does he know of any of this stuff?

I did decide to land him. Role playing and all that... plus the lands stay in my "player character's" hand in this case since nobody is likely to be able to take them off him. Plus, good old Geoffrey did make see the value in letting your heirs have some fun on their own. ;)

So in the first generation we had Foulques "the Iron Duke" and Geoffrey, sons of Geoffrey of Gatinais and adoptive heirs of Geoffrey "Martel." Iron Duke Foulques then had two sons, the present Duke Geoffrey and Foulques "Foulquesson." And now Geoffrey has two sons, also named Foulques and Geoffrey... If this keeps up, Angevin family gatherings are going to get mighty confusing. (Also, one of these days, one of these men is going to have a third son, and will be utterly at a loss as to what to name him :p )

And, of course, there's the whole "tempting fate" aspect... Thus far it seems like every Foulques / Geoffrey pair has been fraught with drama, though Geoffrey and his own son seem thus far to be a happy exception.

Geoffrey may not (yet) be literally seeing his late father in his dreams, but I get the sense that he's still haunted by the Iron Duke's ghost in a sense. Both of the two scenes revolve around Geoffrey accomplishing something that his father never did, and the pride he derives from it.

You are correct in the naming parallel. Of course, real life did see the first two generations you list. Perhaps if Foulques V had remarried in France and remained there, rather than becoming King of Jerusalem we would have seen it continue in real life as well, given that he'd already named his first Geoffrey. Unfortunately for the Foulques or Fulk name, it ran up against marrying into royal families, replaced by Baldwin and Henry! Geoffrey at least stuck around another generation, and had Henry II's son Geoffrey not died, he may have inherited the throne on Richard's death and it would have stuck around a lot longer!

Why funny you should mention third sons! I actually have a good name ready to go that both works historically and perfectly fits the narrative.

Whether they can actually get along (with a gulf in age reminiscent of Geoffrey to his brother Foulquesson) is certainly a fear his mother has. Of course... interpreting omens can be a fools game, but given the circumstances, I can forgive Marguerite.

What’s with the strange symbols?

So I’ve had a bit of catching up to do: I like the cut of Geoffrey’s jib, whether plotting dynastic matches or dealing with his ‘friend’ but not ally, Thoraed. Or cementing his filial bonds and sorting out recalcitrant Councillors. All as skilfully handled as the excellent language and prose which you have used to embellish your tale. The tone has changed with our new Fuke but I can’t help but think that Geoffrey is set for greatness beyond his father...we shall see.

A last point: would holy church really have offered papal dispensation for marriage of uncle to niece? Not sure about that but at least you tried to explain it haha.

Bravo though: superior writing in every way and full justification for all those awards you recently won ;)

The symbols... I don't like writing out certain curse words. I don't think I've used it before in the story and while in my own writings I will break it out, on a public forum, I tend to refrain from certain things. But it was the f-word there.

Geoffrey is in for a different game than his father, as you'll see in the future updates. Whereas Foulques was more a bystander as the realm disintegrated into rebellion, Geoffrey will not be, I promise you that. That will bring it's own set of trials and tribulations - some of which I've added to fit the narrative and others (one very massive one) the game threw at me at random. I think it has the potential for a good story, but we'll see how it all shakes out!

Spanish Hapsburgs got it all the time right? In this case, yeah, I tried to scheme out how it would be "allowed" despite it being allowed in game. So I just went with the fact they got people they like to approve it. Easiest way to explain away doing something I could that probably wouldn't have happened (at the time, anyway). ;)

Thank you for that! Which reminds me, I should go and throw a vote down for the first quarter awards before that closes.

The overwhelming impression I have from this update is how it emphasises the tyranny of the biological. I think of a phrase I first encountered in "Memory" by Lois McMaster Bujold "All true wealth is biological" - you can see that reflected here as well I think.

I admit to being unfamiliar with the work and phrase. My apologies!

But this ultimately was all an family affair - Geoffrey strips lands from his first cousin/wife's aunt to hand to his son, all while his second son forces his way into the world on his own time.

This isn't the last time Geoffrey runs into familial conflict. In fact, I'd say the stuff Foulques dabbled into with his half-siblings in Burgundy will come nowhere near the messes Geoffrey will embroil himself in, or stir up, with extended family.

Well done, paying more heed and drama to the birthing than the nonchalant screenshot we normally see. Having had my hand crunched a few times under these circumstances, that certainly rang true! ;)

Are you selecting the names yourself or just going with what the ‘die roll’ provides? If the former, is this to match Angevin OTL history (which I’m not much au fait with)?

I'm glad you like it! I debated whether or not to include it, but it seems to have done alright. I can attest to drawing on my own "wait, what do we do? Do we go now? Do we wait?" experience with my wife to write Geoffrey's uncertainty.

No, I am not going with the dice rolls for names. I have been going to match the Angevin naming conventions, at least with the boys. With Foulques I knew I'd have a Geoffrey and Foulques, if he had a second son, to match history. Timing wise, it actually did sync up fairly well, with Geoffrey here about the same age as the real life Geoffrey Martel, but much more alive in 1111 than his RL counterpart. Foulquesson is a little younger than Foulques V though not by much.

Ultimately, I was uncertain of the Foulques V would be him or Geoffrey's eldest son Foulques. As you can guess, I have begun to lean more toward Geoffrey's son as that potential character.

Of course, plans can always change.;)

Oh dear...sibling rivalry always gets worse when a new crown is up for grabs. Wonder if it will end with one of them killing the current duke/king and starting a civil war?

Now that would be something. I will say that the future will be filled with both successes and also tragedy for the Angevin clan. And I don't mean the far off future either.

Geoffrey did a nice performance in dealing with his cousin and his son.

I like the birthing scene since I lived it. I can relate to Geoffrey and Foulques horror and the helplessness having been there. Nothing like being in the middle of the Baby and Toddler Exhibition and have your wife tell you her water just broke and you are 30 miles from the hospital. Real fun speeding down the Pennsylvania Turnpike to get to the hospital in time.

That is what Geoffrey does best - performances. He's excellent at delivering a show. Substance is going to be the sticking point at times though.

Wow, now that's scary! I was nervous enough with my son being born and we didn't have any other kids to worry about! (20 minute drive though) Having to deal with all of that... oof. You and your wife are made of strong stuff!

so... we shall see what this new Geoffrey would do in the future...

Yes we shall! And that's a true "we" - even I'm not certain yet!

To all - the next chapter will land tomorrow. I will say nothing on it except that I hope you all enjoy it. :D

Thanks as always for your comments and feedback!

Reactions:
I admit to being unfamiliar with the work and phrase. My apologies!
In that case I recommend the author to you (and anyone else reading). Lois McMaster Bujold is best known for her sci-fiction Vorkosigan series, but she also writes in fantasy. Very entertaining books, easy to read, but she manages to slip in some important thoughts with you barely noticing.

Reactions:
Really liking the change of style - from Tony Soprano to Frank Underwood... Let's hope Foulqes Jr. doesn't get up to too much AI nonsense now he's landed. Geoffrey's unexpected case of Lannister's Syndrome is enough of a curveball.

With regard to the swearing, I'm glad you left it out, just because it's odd to hear French lords utter that most Anglo-Saxon word of all! Though, were I a second-rate comp lit professor, I'm sure I could make a lot of hay out of various resonances in the name 'Foulques' (or, as it was generally written when I studied the period, 'Fulk').

Reactions: