• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't wait to see how Geoffrey continues on. He has his father's lands and armies, but does he have the power and confidence to continue? Will he and Foulques the younger share the relationship he had with his father?

Can't wait till the first (more like fifth) chapter of Geoffrey's own journey is set in paper. Its good that we continue on with a man who has already started his own journey and have his own stories already set in stone... it will make the upcoming journey a very intersting ne.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I originally started replying to your comments last night, but it took me such a long time, I had to call it a night and finish up today!

And so passes Duke Foulques, fourth of his name, the Iron Duke d'Anjou (those who say "the Ill-Ruler" are naught but halfwitted slanderers). He was such a complicated man, a man we had to admire and support because of his blunt honesty, and hate because of his blunt cruelty. Arrogant, lecherous, hypocritical, but brave, loyal, and ultimately successful.

The Duke is dead. Long live Duke Geoffrey, first of his name!

And may I be the second to join in the inevitable virtual standing ovation for a masterful send off of such a wonderful character. Bravissimo!

Thank you! Glad you thought well of it!

Your summation is an accurate one! I think, based on our own history, the "ultimately successful" will outweigh the negative traits, as was the case with his real life descendants, Henry II and Richard I, who both shared many qualities with John, but their success means they are looked upon favorably while John is considered a tyrant.

Geoffrey "first of his name" is interesting, because I believe if he takes Anjou as his primary title, then he becomes Geoffrey IV - but will he? (Also, Guilhem of Aquitaine was actually Guy-Geoffrey, by birth name, but went by Guilhem when he inherited Aquitaine from his brothers - just an interesting aside)

Yes, a fitting send off to one of the great AAR characters of the last year. For me, you achieved the much-honoured Send a Shiver up the Spine Award not once but twice in that episode, even though it became clear early on where it was going! :) Especially when Philippe said simply that he would not make his journey alone.

And while the Ill Ruler nickname was always a bit unfair and given too early, the epitaph the game gave him on the succession screen was pretty damned accurate! :D Let us hope the God in this universe is kinder on him that Paradox seems to think he will be! Perhaps a spell in Purgatory first, then onwards and upwards! But if it is to be the ‘other place’, then he’s well equipped to succeed there as well. ;)

I think you are right to keep the second book going on this thread: you have built up a lot of ‘brand recognition’ for it. And it was always billed as the story of the Angevins at large, not just Foulques, epic as his life and story became. Looking forward to this changing of the guard, and how Geoffrey will progress under a more watchful eye.

This avid reader will certainly remain glued to the screen every time a new episode comes out. :D

Thank you! I have enjoyed Foulques, and wanted to send him out in style. But I'm also somewhat glad he's been allowed to move on, because I think there are other good characters who deserve their chance to shine.

As I read the epitaph, I thought the same - it captured him quite well! What the future for Foulques has is unknown, but if you are hoping for Purgatory, there was a hint to that in the text - Aines specifically mentions being trapped, being unable to move forward but always look back - so it's entirely possible if that really is Aines, that Foulques is in for a similar fate.

I look at the pages and I did briefly again consider splitting it, but I figure the it is "Before Plantagenet". We're still before!

I appreciate that support. Once more, thank you!

A real tour de force, that. Reminds me of DFW's imagination of the afterlife of Rabbit Angstrom - "It's a solipsist's heaven, full of his own dead perceptions". While I'm sure more retrospectives will come at a later date, I find it fitting he died with the 'content' trait - and I would even say Foulques lived a good life (with the very heavy qualification of 'by the standards of his time and office'). In his case, the good that he has done will live on and on; the evil will be interred with his bones. His grand sins will be remembered as political victories, and his private sins will fade from memory.

I'm sure that, in this AAR's timeline, my alternate self is greatly enjoying "HBO's Anjou"...

Thank you! I would agree - Foulques had a pretty good run. Ultimately he did more than his real life counterpart, who more restored the apparatus that his son (Foulques V) could immediately use to pester both the King of France and Henry I of England, than he did to reclaim lost land. This Foulques did both - he reclaimed the lost land and set up his descendants well. I largely had the same feeling when he got the content trait. And his likely retrospective will be as you say - remembered for his victories - his flaws excused. (Adhemar's murder, though, as he realizes as he's reading his memoirs, is not going to be easy to gloss over)

On "Anjou" I personally, think this period in history would make for a great show beyond Vikings (which happened a few hundred years before, but I digress). Eleanor of Aquitaine would be my choice for a TV series, but any of the early Angevins, Foulques IV (even the real life Geoffrey IV, since there was conflict there), Foulques V, Geoffrey Plantagenet and Matilda, would all make for interesting characters on shows. They were ambitious and they all had fair measures of success.

So we saw again most of the figures who shaped the Iron Duke as much as they shaped him, as he starts his final journey... though I wouldn't be surprised to see his own ghost appearing in a (distant, I hope for Geoffrey) future again. Now it is time for the silver-tongued Anjou to take the reins of the iron-armed.

He has been a great character to follow, and what we have seen of Geoffrey certainly will be as interesting. So onward, to Angevin Ambition!

Now if only Bourges had been claimed...

I'm hesitant to repeat things with different characters, but I have definitely considered Foulques' ghost paying a visit to Geoffrey in the future. ;) There's already one event in the future where Geoffrey will have reckon with his father's influence, versus his own.

I have started writing Geoffrey, and the big test is going to be portraying events that certainly would have happened under Foulques, but providing justification and a voice in Geoffrey's. We'll see how I do.

I wish he had grabbed that claim. But no such luck!

An incredible finale to this part of the story. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. That brilliant final farewell for pretty much everyone really sums up the great story.

Thank you! I think it goes to a different place than you might expect out of this type of AAR, but you shall be the judge!

The Duke is dead. Long live the Duke!

One of the more poignant CK2 send-offs I've seen yet, though I must admit it's been a while coming. Foulques accomplished more than I expected him to at the outset, and while his life after Rouen seemed to be a long period of nothing, the more I reflect on it, AI Geoffrey simply took care on his own of what Foulques normally would have spent the latter part of his life doing. It enabled him to focus on politics instead of taking advantage of the situation in Aquitaine.

And so Chapter 1 of "Before Plantagenet" at long last comes to an end. All hail the Iron Duke.

Bravo Jabber.

Thanks! I agree on your take here - game-event wise, Foulques did a whole lot of nothing post-Rouen. Geoffrey did a whole bunch of it, without any input from me. What the second half did allow was for other characters to rise to fill the void of lack of game events, as you note. Aines, Agnes, Alearde to a degree, Philippe, Ness... they got their chance thanks to the lack of other plot events. With Geoffrey, there are quite a few early events, and I have to fit a lot in there.

Thanks once more!

What an amazing send off not only for Foulques, but for so many other great characters. I knew this would be the chapter (there was no doubt after we got the crusade update last chapter) and we have been preparing for some time but it still hit hard.

Now we see what comes next. How will Geoffrey handle this, and how will handle living in the same court as his wife?

Thank you! That was a big part of the goal here - this was the end of a lot of characters, not just Foulques. He carried with him the ghosts of these characters and outside of potentially Foulques, Beatritz and Aines (given who the current Duke and Duchess are) this is pretty much the last we'll see of them.

Heh. Marguerite and Geoffrey... it's going to be something, especially given Geoffrey's other... interests.

such an end!! I really appreciate you continue the story of House d'Anjou... I was afraid when Fouqules would die, so would this excellent AAR

Thank you! Confession - I did consider ending it because this time consuming. But Geoffrey's story interested me, and I took the gameplay in a direction I had never tried before in CK2 (though I'm sure others have). So I was anxious to write about it. I've already done a bunch of writing for the next chapters as a result!

That was splendid. It reminded me of the end of Return of the King actually, with all the characters who ended up coming. The king coming back to help Foulques cross over was a wonderful idea and implemented well. In a story full of complicated and compelling relationships, theirs was perhaps the best and certainly one of the longest in time. And I'm glad the demon siblings were put in their place. In spite of everything, the Duke did have those who loved him and he did right by a lot of people, and I think those probably outnumber the ones he wronged, which is pretty good innings for a ruler in this period. Anjou will mourn I think. Agnes defiantly will. Geoffrey will too, first privately and then publically if he thinks it will help him in anyway. I wonder which duchy he'll pick for his capital? As for the rest of the realm, I think everyone will be very quiet right now. Either in reflection and respect for a great man passing, or through fears and planning about what happens next, everyone must mark this day in France. The balance of power has shifted towards one duke, and a duke who has not gotten on with the people currently ruling the kingdom. Add that in with Toulouse growing old and Champagne completely blindsided by the king...well, I think a new civil war wouldn't be too hard to arrange, especially as both east and western duchies can be convinced to rebel very easily.

Or maybe he'll take over Brittany instead and ignore France, splitting off from it entirely. It depends whether he thinks the kingdom is doomed or not, I suppose. And perhaps, whether he thinks he could hold the throne comfortably once he seized it. If not, then it makes more sense to establish an independent realm and slowly conquer France from the outside. It's certainly easier. Or he'll move on and look north or south and go after the easier pickings elsewhere. All Anjou really has to do is make sure all their lands stay together under one heir and that the ruling family maintains direct control over lots of land within their mini-kingdom. That's why Brittany would be so useful (and also OP!) but also where Geoffrey may fall down a bit. He has vassals already and they're not going to enjoy their overlord inheriting tons of land to himself and then forcing them to war with the rest of France.

So...a good chapter, a class send off of everyone we've grown to like and enjoy in the first 'book' and a certain changing of the guard towards a new generation; A generation that has the potential to fix all of France's problems, create a very powerful centralised state and rule Europe for the rest of CKII...or muck it all up for the next century at least. Or this could be the start of a new English or Iberian dynasty. There are always possibilities.

Thank you! I thought that net of complicated relationships and influences was why this was the necessary type of send of for him. I think you have the pair of Geoffrey and Agnes figured out, and I think Geoffrey's is going to be complicated. I was writing one of his scenes for an upcoming chapter and his feelings are not simple. (Also, good note on the "if it helps him")

Your Geoffrey summation on his potential impact on the kingdom is accurate. His reasons... well his reasons will become clear early on. But opportunity is what will be tricky. There is a tight window to achieve the overarching goal of what he wants. And he'll have to pull out every tool in his arsenal to make it work. I do promise you, we'll be venturing to Brittany eventually!

And Geoffrey's vassals are going to be something that have to be dealt with. Alias and the Prince-Bishop may love him, but there will be good times and bad with the others.

Thanks once more on that - it was meant to be that changing of the guard and goodbye to the characters of the first book. Foulques felt alone near the end for good reason. Here he find his way to all of them once more.

I don't know where we'll end up yet myself. I am debating it myself at this point - having played about 10 years in. I'm at a crossroads with a decision on where I want to turn my efforts.

It's sad to see Foulques go but with how long he lived I don't think there was much for him to do. He rose from ruler of a weakened duchy to the most powerful man in France. He transformed his dynasty from a minor power in France to a family with a third of one of the most powerful kingdoms in Europe.

Geoffrey will definitely be an interesting character. We already know about his passion for his sister so it should be interesting to learn some of his other secrets. With the ambition he has and the amount of land he controls he can do almost anything.

There's truth in that - besides Bourges, there wasn't much left for me to do with him, especially since I was limiting him to a degree. You summarize him well - from a count who could barely get the old sister of the Duke of Aquitaine as a wife, to a man whose grandson could marry a princess. Quite the bump in prestige!

Geoffrey can't do quite anything - in fact, much of the first years of his reign is going to be aiming to create a situation where he can do what he wants. ;)

And thus Foulques passes one. We knew this time we coming, we knew it was imminent, and now it is here and done.

I must admit to having mixed feelings about this post. I think it feels too restful, too comfortable. Foulques was full of such passions, right up until the end, that here he seems strangely quiescent, and passive, and quite un-Foulques-like. I am wracking my brain to think when was the last time so much was said to Foulques, by others. I can't remember. For a passage which is, in many respects a retrospective on his life and and a send off it felt just a bit twee.

But I got thinking about this. I read this post much earlier today, and it has been knocking around the old brain-box since then. I was able to articulate the above thoughts quite quickly. But given all that I couldn't quite establish why then I also liked it (hence the mixed feelings). But I think I now do, and - perhaps unsurprisingly - the reason is mixed up with the same things that make me less certain about it.

We speak of death as being a state of repose. Requiescat in pace, as the well-worn prayer goes. Also, dead, Foulques is now a man beyond passion. Indeed his physical state is now that of a corpse, already doubtless being consumed by necrophagic microbes that are responsible for so much decomposition. Well this post offers something of a deconstruction of his life - it decomposes it, if you will allow the mis-use of the word. But this post as a literary device also rather neatly conveys the idea of death by its very restfulness, by presenting Foulques as something he was not in life.

Now that was the overall impression of the post, but there was one little passage that I think delivered a great line - for me the strongest passage of the entire post. It is this:

I think this gets both at something very vital for Foulques' character, something deep within him, the source of much of that passion I spoke of earlier. This almost continual sense of being wronged, of being seen to be inadequate, and of being treated as less than his worth. But also of the abandonment that was very much part of Foulques' lot. For all his affairs he was a startling lonely character. Only three people, I wager, ever came truly close to him. Beatriz, Alearde, and Agnes. Phillipe might be a fourth. Well Phillippe and Foulques were often apart, Beatriz died a long time ago, Alearde and Foulques had their separations and Agnes ... sometimes the gulf between father and daughter is just too great. And Foulques ... needed company. Alone he could - probably still cannot - rise to Ermengarde's challenge. So he continued on.

That would have been a good ending. You say you, in your head, altered the order of the ending a number of times. I am curious, was this exchange ever at the end in your thoughts?

The second strongest passage, I think, is the one that you did actually end with.

Foulques speaks no words in this three lines, but he is the one to carry out the final action in the post. I also note that whilst Beatriz speaks the last words, is only in agreement with the King. It is the King who offers the final assessment of Foulques, the last spoken-word image - a partner of the written-word image two lines later - that we are left with. "Greatest Knight" is exactly the validatory compliment that Foulques so badly craved - needed - in life, but not just that. The effect of that on others. That with Foulques by his side the King has no fear. Even in the face of damnation. And then affirmation of that from Beatriz. All his flaws and faults, some of which are laundered quite openly earlier in the passage, are reduced to next to nothing next to the burning brightness of that image.

And with that image we are left with Foulques starting, a man of action once more.

I said at the start I had mixed feels about this update, and I still do. I hope in the above I have constructively described why I feel that way.

Foulques has been one of my favourite AAR characters this last year. AARland will be strange without him, but I am delighted to hear this AAR will continue with Geoffrey. I cannot begin to imagine what will happen now. Agnes, Geoffrey, King Hughes ... Toulouse ... Jaspert ... so many people's lives will now be wreched asunder by this death. In many respects this post therefore is the calm before the coming storm.

I appreciate your honest feedback, and given that you have commented more than anyone else, it means quite a bit!

The passivity, to a degree was by design. There's a different level of understanding here than when he first dealt with them - an underlying realization that he has died. He doesn't consciously realize it for a while - and actually ignores some of the hints (his mask his gone, his clothes are changing - he's walking without issue) - but subconsciously he knows it.

There's another factor in it - guilt. He exchanges barbs with his brother, who he doesn't respect. But he fears he did disappoint his mother, he knows he may have damned Aines and then carried on an affair with her daughter, he may have helped cause Philippe's death... he has unrequited feelings with Alearde and thinks he should have made her his duchess, and he previously apologized to Beatritz on her death bed. They are vulnerabilities that would not be obvious those outside -indeed, those that were present in those moments of severe doubt are dead. When confronted by them... Foulques has no answer for them, because in life he had no answer for them except to apologize (with Beatritz) or bury his head in the sand to block it out (with Aines).

All of these have a common thread. They are all people Foulques cared for/respected. And he's felt the most guilt over their death/wronging them. He never care for his brother. And he didn't feel guilt, for say, Guilhem, or Robert, who I debated adding, but left out because while aids in his rise, they didn't have same type of closeness that the women of Foulques life + Philippe (who arguably was Foulques' true second partner after Beatritz) had.

The choices here I can't say were unintentional - there was definitely a desire to remove his bite a bit by having people he would be defanged by. Perhaps I went a bit too far - or not far enough.

And by that I mean, perhaps this is too nice a send off then, for those ghosts (Aines was the harshest, but even she excuses it to a degree by saying it was what she expected) were mostly forgiving. But then as Ermengarde suggests, their "judgment" is in many ways irrelevant to him in the end, it's up to Foulques to decide whether it was worth it.

So does Foulques get off too lightly? I can't argue with the idea this ending was neat. And I've tended to avoid neat endings, especially lately so this may feel jarring compared to those others.

Re on the order of the ending: I have been debating for months on whether it would be Beatritz or Alearde. Ermengarde and Philippe both had brief considerations, but in the end, I felt I had to take it back to those two women - the love Foulques never could conquer and the woman who proved irreplaceable in his life (and the two people, more than anyone else, who danced with the Iron Duke and came out satisfied and ahead in the end).

Had I gone harsher with the ghosts judgments, then his mother or Beatritz telling him that ultimately, it's for him to decide whether it was worth it, probably would have pulled back the bleakness of his ending. But for what was here, I thought Beatritz worked better.

That final line is actually spoken by Foulques. That is one case where my not wanting to say "said" burned me. He looks to Beatritz as a nod that she too, is his co-pilot, for lack of a better term, and then agrees to follow Philippe - though "follow" is in somewhat of a loose sense of the word - as it was in his life with Philippe, Foulques often took the lead.

As for the future - it's interesting, because the ripples will be felt, but perhaps not immediately by everyone. Geoffrey and Agnes obviously will be at the epicenter, and the king will feel something of it early on. The others will in due time. Geoffrey is not the Iron Duke. No, he's something else. And that something else may well end up being far worse.

Again, I appreciate your feedback on this!

I saw this last night not long after it was posted. I said to myself after a quick skim, read it tomorrow when you are more awake, but no I got sucked in. However, I did decide to wait until the next day to post. I needed to reread it and digest all that was written.

I have to say that this was one of the best send offs I have come across. It felt I was watching a play or a movie. When I read the last line I wanted to applaud.

After all he went through much of it self inflicted, Foulques at last came to grips with what he had accomplished and that then he finally found peace.

Thank you for that very nice compliment there!

I'm sorry on not providing adequate warning on what was to follow! I actually kept my build up short for this one, because I didn't want to spoil it. No worries on waiting to gather your thoughts - I'm glad you enjoyed it though and thanks for the high praise on the ending.

That is definitely one way the ending could be interpreted.

Tears have been shed.

I must say, this AAR is a masterpiece and i will undoubtedly miss Foulques, enter Geoffrey!

Thanks! I felt a twinge of sadness myself. But new opportunities arise - we'll see what Geoffrey brings!

My read of that passage is that Foulques spoke the words. His glance to Beatritz indicates that he has her in mind as his own 'strongest knight' as he is saying the words. The reason I read it that way is that the line describes an action taken by Foulques and is therefore also the one speaking. I guess you can read it either way, though, and Foulques is certainly uncharacteristically passive this chapter - though I think that is simply a bit of a case of 'death will do that to you'. Again depending on how you view it, the entire sequence could be seen as having been created by Foulques in his own mind as part of the process of dying which would actually make him the sole actor in his own final chapter.

Your reading of that last line is correct - it is Foulques, not Beatritz speaking it. But I should have made that clearer.

I leave it open to interpretation as to what it is in the end. We know Foulques died - when (does it happen in the chapter, or before it even begins?) is up in the air. The characters - are they really ghosts? Are they just creations of Foulques' mind? I know how I interpret it (which colors how I wrote it, obviously) but I don't want to color other's interpretations of it.

Of course, making Foulques too passive means I didn't quite hit the balance right.

I am sure more words will come to me in the morning, but for now I have only one thing to say:

BRAVO!! :D A masterful send-off!

"Death had to take him in his sleep, for if he was awake there'd have been a fight." In our world said of Theodore Roosevelt, but certainly fitting for what must be whispered in the hallowed halls of the kingdom about the passing of the great Iron Duke of Anjou.

It truly was a joy to see so many prominent and beloved characters once again. Especially Philippe and Beatriz -- if any two characters can be said to have shaped Foulques into the man he is today, it would be his steadfast King and his long-suffering wife. Beatriz especially may have had a short run onscreen, but she left a powerful impression in those few scenes, and she cast a long shadow over all the rest; as aptly pointed out in the text itself, her absence had a presence all its own, leaving a void in Foulques's heart that he never truly managed to fill (and not for lack of trying!)

One thing I found particularly interesting about Foulques's death is the timing -- not merely that Foulques was taken in his sleep, but that he passed while reviewing his own history, and especially while contemplating editing it to make himself look better. Foulques has, of course, long been obsessed with his own legacy, even beyond what might be considered a typical noble's aspirations -- something that seems rather paradoxical on the surface, given Foulques's apparent callousness towards others when they would sometimes get in his way, but like many of that sort I think that he really cared more about what other people thought of him than he tried to let on. I think that, more than anything, he has always wanted to be someone who mattered, someone whose name would be ever on the lips of the whole kingdom as a Very Important Person, someone who would go down in history as shaping it to his own will. It's natural for someone that invested in their image to want to control their legacy -- but, of course, it's ultimately an act of futility:

And in the end, it won't matter a whit to him whether he is praised, damned, or forgotten entirely by future generations. The important lesson -- his final lesson -- is to stop trying to find the validation he seeks in the opinion of others and to instead take pride in what he has done for its own sake, because it is the fruit of his own labor. His time has drawn to a close, and now he must ask himself whether, in the end, it was all worth it to get where he is now.

-----

And now, for something that I have been long awaiting the proper opportunity to do:

@JabberJock14, in recognition of the creativity, intelligence, and toil that has gone into crafting this masterful work and breathing life into its characters, and as a token of my immense appreciation and gratitude for the joy that it has given to me and many other readers, it is my honor and privilege to present to you a Red Special Cookie ●.

Should you wish to display this in your signature or anywhere else on these forums, you may do so with the following code:

Code:
 [B][COLOR=#ff0000][url=https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/before-plantagenet-%E2%80%93-a-house-d%E2%80%99anjou-aar.1014631/page-84#post-24026912]●[/url][/COLOR][/B]

This will link to this post, which will serve as Proof of Authenticity for the Award.

I am glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the kind words (and the award - more on that later).

Beatritz and Philippe have been tied together before - I have hinted that the "replacement" for Beatritz was Philippe in Foulques life, and thus, you can argue, when he lost Philippe, he truly lost his companionship. But I think I said when Beatritz died, Foulques would struggle to replace her - and I think I stayed true to that. No one was as talented as she was at being his partner.

Since the real life Foulques did write a History of Anjou, I figure anyone who does that would be a bit concerned with their legacy. ;) But you bring up the two sides of Foulques - the man who was blunt and gruff, but one who very much was obsessed with his own legacy. I don't necessarily think they are necessarily opposed for reasons you get to - Foulques saw his blunt/gruffness to a means to an end. He would march himself to victory. His fear, ultimately is that while history is written by the winners, and he was one, his own insecurities and lack of trust with Geoffrey, remain.

In some ways, it is the ultimate sign of respect for Geoffrey. Foulques' concern is not that Champagne, Toulouse or Hugues would ruin his reputation. It's Geoffrey. And I think it spoke to a big issue with them - Foulques ever the egotist, was always concerned about being overshadowed by his son, especially as it became clear Geoffrey's methods would be very different from him. That if Geoffrey were to achieve equal or greater success using different methods that would shine a negative light on his own methods. Of course, Beatritz reminds him it's fruitless to worry about that now - but she also has more faith in her son than he does.

As for the award, thank you for that tremendous honor! I will have to plug it into my signature. I'm very happy you have enjoyed it as much as you have as to make an exception and to award it before the work is complete! (I aim to at least get through Geoffrey) My hope is to keep the level of quality we've had thus far as we move forward. Changing characters full time from a martial character like Foulques to a diplomatic character like Geoffrey will be a test, but hopefully I'll pass it. :)

Magnificent, momentous, monumental.

That is all

Short and to the point! Thank you that! I love some good alliteration, especially when it's those three words together. :D

With a fairly lazy day at work, I couldn't miss my chance to send off the Iron Duke with a doodle:

gyy3jeD.jpg

Some anachronisms, I'm sure, in the bedclothes and the book, but there lies the Duke in his final mask. As in life, it's hard to tell whether he glares at you or doesn't see at all.

Anachronisms, while we try to avoid, are really just part of CK2 (such is the case with having a game take place over 700 years). So don't worry, and thank you for your excellent work! I'm honored to have once again earned your pencils for a tribute to the Iron Duke!

I read this with half-shut eyes, but it still hit me like a punch to the brain. The farewell to this monumental character should not have been less. You have built towards this ending, you have anticipated it and before you, stood the no small challenge of giving a character that has shaped this AAR a fitting last scene. You did it, once again. BRAVO!!!.

As for Foulques being passive in this chapter, I agree with some opinions that have been stated before, in that I believe Foulques to be the sole actor of this chapter, for it al happens in his brain (aside from a few words from adalmonde at the start). This knight shall long be remembered and I hope we can see the angevin that reaches max expansión visiting his grave or telling his story to his heirs.

And now it is our turn to bid Foulques farewell, may he find peace, though I have the suspicion he'd rather be in Walhalla...

Thank you for your high praise! I did try to give it build up - the ghosts in previous chapters and his relative weakness before them were in preparation for this. Even the line dropped by Hildegarde at one point earlier noting that Foulques would see their mother again when they were ready to take him - IE when he was actually dying/dead, was in anticipation of this scene.

As noted above, I leave it open to interpretation in terms of how the characters come to be in this chapter. The passivity critique is a fair one as well.

We do not know what awaits Foulques in the beyond, but hopefully reunited with those lost along the way will help him achieve that measure of peace.

Can't wait to see how Geoffrey continues on. He has his father's lands and armies, but does he have the power and confidence to continue? Will he and Foulques the younger share the relationship he had with his father?

Can't wait till the first (more like fifth) chapter of Geoffrey's own journey is set in paper. Its good that we continue on with a man who has already started his own journey and have his own stories already set in stone... it will make the upcoming journey a very intersting ne.

Does he have the confidence? He did manage to take two duchies of his own. ;)

But are his dreams too big? And what might he lose along the way? And what about that relationship with his grandson? Yeah, those will be among the questions we will be facing as we move forward.

The next chapters of the journey are being worked on (though the gameplay has now been played). I think the events prove interesting, but you shall be the judge.

To all- thank you for commentary on this chapter, which was meant to be grand. I'm glad it served that, even if it wasn't quite perfect. (Something to strive for next time)

I've mentioned above, I leave it open to interpretation on how the events above happened (actual ghosts, vs. it all being in Foulques' mind). I have my own interpretation on what it is, but I don't wish to divulge it. In other words, I set up the scene but in this case, I'm being not being omniscient as the writer. I'm laying out an event but saying there are different ways to read it. There's pluses and minuses to this - because ultimately I'm not totally impartial and my writing of characters could well give away what I am leaning toward. So... that's probably why it's not perfect. But it's something for me to keep in mind for the future.

As for the next chapters - I have been working on them. I've written a great deal for them, but I think I may tweak some things about them before I post.

However, I probably will not post the next chapter until Sunday or Monday. As this is the end of the first book, I feel it's an appropriate time to have a little bit of a breather (of only a few days of course) and for a little catch up for those that fell a little behind. And it may give me a chance to work ahead and get a few more chapters done, as I played this section last week and its fresh in mind.

But as we move on from Book 1, special thanks to you the readers and commentators who make it all worthwhile! You all rock!

Reactions:
Short and to the point! Thank you that! I love some good alliteration, especially when it's those three words together. :D
There was so much I wanted to say-almost too much so I decided to settle for these 3 words that, for me, sum up this magnificent AAR and your portrayal of the trials and tribulations, successes and human failures of the Iron Duke. I am glad the alliteration and the words landed well with you my friend-I was worried they might not

• 1Like
Reactions:
Enjoy your well deserved, hopefully not too long break. We'll wait patiently. Sort of. But not really :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Long time lurker, I just wanted to say you are an amazing writer. You have a dedication to your characters beyong anything I've read so far in the CK2 LibrAARy. 85 pages and Foulques story is finally over. Honestly I teared up a bit when I was reading Foulques pass on. Bravo.

Reactions:
There was so much I wanted to say-almost too much so I decided to settle for these 3 words that, for me, sum up this magnificent AAR and your portrayal of the trials and tribulations, successes and human failures of the Iron Duke. I am glad the alliteration and the words landed well with you my friend-I was worried they might not

No worries. I'm grateful for every comment, and you have given me many, many words over this story. The three summed it up nicely.

Enjoy your well deserved, hopefully not too long break. We'll wait patiently. Sort of. But not really :D

I went and waited an extra day too! Hopefully the next chapters prove worth the wait.

OMG.

Superb! What a send-off for Foulques! I wish I had time to say more...but that was great. This is the best AAR I’ve ever read.

Bring on Geoffrey!

Why thank you! Very high praise, which I appreciate! And you've said plenty! I'm grateful for every comment.

Long time lurker, I just wanted to say you are an amazing writer. You have a dedication to your characters beyong anything I've read so far in the CK2 LibrAARy. 85 pages and Foulques story is finally over. Honestly I teared up a bit when I was reading Foulques pass on. Bravo.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your de-lurk to let me know, and I hope to keep you entertained as we move forward. Foulques goodbye was bittersweet for me as well.

To all, a few things. First, I want to offer my thanks to all my readers and commentators once more. This story took home the Narrative AAR of the 2017, and it wouldn't have done that without the support of those who voted for it, but also those who read and comment. As I've said here before, your voices in this thread make this work better, and help inspire me to keep it going! Without you, this wouldn't have been possible!

Second - the style of this next section will be mostly like what has come before. But as we embark on a different "lead" character, I will write the early chapters a bit like we are starting fresh. We've had small journeys into Geoffrey's world, but this is different as now he is the big dog. In addition, I'll probably include a link in the first post pf this AAR which takes us to the next chapter, if someone wishes to bypass Foulques and jump right into Geoffrey. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that of course, but I want to give people the option since this is a lot to read.

I'll add that while I've had lots of ideas for these chapters, they were harder than I expected to refine. With Foulques we built toward something. With Geoffrey, we now have to build again (though there are events right off the bat). And no pressure - just got to have Geoffrey live up to his old man.

So, enough waiting!

A long time ago, in a country far, far away (for some of us, anyway)....

Before Plantagenet - Episode II: Angevin Ambition

Reactions:
Chapter 139 - December 1109
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 139
December 1109 - Rosello, Catalonia

1109_Rosello.jpg

Geoffrey, Duke of Aquitaine and Poitou, laid on his cot, cursing his luck.

He had spent so much of his life trying to avoid conflict and battle. At the very least, if he was going to have to don his mail, he wanted it to be for something in his own interests.

This? This was a waste of his time.

He was in Rosello, the walls of Perpinya near enough he felt he could hit them by throwing a rock - an exaggeration, but still underlined the closeness they were to their target. But closeness had no bearing on the actual completion of their task - the walls stubbornly held.

And for what? A king that may not even live to see his success.

King Hugues lay in his own cot, in the command tent. His disease had flared, and his physician had bled him. It looked to be a mistake.

When Geoffrey had seen the king earlier in the day, he looked pale as a ghost - so weak he could barely lift his hand, let alone his head or rise from bed. Geoffrey's brother by law, Prince Henri, was likely en route from the north as messengers had been sent to notify him of his father’s declining condition. It certainly appeared there would be a new king of the Franks soon enough.

1109_King_Hugues_botched_treatment.jpg

1109_Prince_Henri.jpg

The king’s weakness left Geoffrey commanding, and feeling imprisoned by, a siege camp that was filled with its usual stench of waste, animal and human, not to mention of the animal carcasses they were hurling at the walls of Perpinya.

A better knight might have figured out a way to make it go faster. A braver knight might have just stormed the walls. But Geoffrey was not about to throw his life away on account of a king who was too out of his depth to pick proper leaders.

This should be Toulouse, he mused. After all, it was Toulouse who wished this land for himself. It was Toulouse who had fought the war to claim it, only to have it disrupted by the king’s foolishness. And it should be Toulouse who sat here, in this miserable, wretched camp, deciding whether to endure the wait to starve out the heathen defenders or risk his life by challenging the walls and those on them.

1109_Guilhem_of_Toulouse.jpg

Geoffrey pushed himself up from the cot and moved to pour himself some wine. It was weak, but it’s purpose was not to get him drunk - rather, it was to cleanse his palate for a moment of the vile odors that surrounded him. The sweet liquid provided but a temporary reprieve.

Of course, he had no one to share it with. He kept his chancellor, Count Alias of Perigord, in Melun, aiding Geoffrey’s father Foulques and keeping an eye on things there. Prince-Bishop Leonard was in Bordeaux, administering the duchy as steward. And Gerard of Thouars was overseeing the levy reinforcement there as well.

And he could not even bring a lover - not in the king’s presence. Normally he had tolerated King Hugues abhorrence of adultery, but the situation was so miserable, it was yet another grievance for Geoffrey to hold against him.

Not that he needed any more complications. He had sired three secret bastards in the last few years - two by the piggish Helvis de Bethune, and one by Melisenda, the sister of his late friend, Ide of La Marche. None had been revealed to be his, but even Alias had warned he should probably ease off such encounters, lest he want to have the reputation of his lecher cousin Gilles, a man so prolific in his bastard-making, there was talk his virility had spawned him a child with a rose bush!

1109_Duke_Gilles.jpg

1109_Gilles_daughter.jpg

Swirling the wine in his cup, Geoffrey walked to the edge of his tent and peered out. At least it was not cold here, and it was usually much brighter outside than even Bordeaux this time of year… and it certainly was far better than Anjou.

He sighed. It was nearly time to tour the camp and make his inspections.

But as Geoffrey was fitting on his hauberk over his leather armor, a guard entered his tent, informing him he had visitors in the form of Alias and Adhemar de Limoges, the chancellor of Anjou.

What does my father want this time, Geoffrey wondered. Though, it was odd Alias and Adhemar both arrived at the same time. If this is a request, it could have been sent through Alias.

1109_Count_Alias.jpg

1109_Adhemar.jpg

The pair entered his tent and, to his surprise, they both dropped to a knee... even stranger given Alias rarely ever did so, and Adhemar wasn’t his courtier or vassal. And then it occurred to him.

No… no, I can’t believe it. The old man could not have…

“My lord,” Alias said. “Adhemar brings news from Anjou.”

Impossible...

Adhemar picked his head up. “My lord, I travel from Anjou to tell you, your father has passed.”

Geoffrey heard the words. He knew what they meant. But he did not believe his ears.

1109_Duke_Foulques.jpg

He had often thought of this day - what it would look like, where he would be, how he’d react. He’d usually imagined himself in Bordeaux. Perhaps in Anjou… had he been given advanced warning his father was ill - similar to how it was when his mother Beatritz had passed.

This wasn’t what he expected.

“What… what took him?” Geoffrey managed to ask.

“It looks to have just been his time,” Adhemar said. “However, the nun, Adalmode, is nowhere to be found. Your sister, the Lady Agnes, finds it suspicious, and searches for her.”

“The nun killed my father?” Geoffrey asked. “She served him for decades. I can hardly believe that.”

“Your lady sister just finds it suspicious, my lord,” Adhemar said. “But there were no signs of struggle or anything odd with his death. He had grown weak over the last few months and could barely rise from his bed.”

Geoffrey stroked his chin. He didn’t think his sister was wrong to investigate… but he also thought it unlikely anyone murdered Foulques. He was old, his body was failing. Sometimes, there was nothing to it - people just died.

And he also wanted no part of any murder talk - such things could easily be rumored to be his doing, regardless of the truth.

But now there was the matter of the duchy - rightfully his but he had many siblings - two legitimate and three other bastard brothers. His father had changed ducal law to ensure Geoffrey’s succession decades ago - but that was before he had brothers. And before he had Aquitaine and Poitou. Now, someone might try to ensure he did not take Anjou, and with it, bring a third of the realm under his control.

1109_Geoffrey_lands.jpg

“I must… I must return Anjou,” Geoffrey thought aloud. “To take my place as its ruler.”

“Agreed,” Alias said as he stood up. Then he leaned in close: “Will the king allow you to depart?”

“The king may well be dying,” Geoffrey whispered back. “He has little power to stop me. Make sure my horse is prepared and get my personal knights ready to depart.”

Alias nodded and started off. Then Geoffrey motioned for Adhemar to rise. “Brother, I must speak with the king. Come with me, and tell him of the need for the people of Anjou to see their new duke.”

“Of course, my lord,” Adhemar said.

Geoffrey made his way down to the command tent with Adhemar in tow. There were guards posted but they allowed him access. An attendant of the king was by his side, applying cool, wet cloths to his head to bring down his fever.

Geoffrey knew he could not wait to confirm his investment as the Duke of Anjou. The king might die. Then it would be delayed until Prince Henri arrived. Henri might even wait until he was crowned before officially taking any oaths of vassalage.

No, I need this resolved now.

“My lord,” Geoffrey said as he dropped to a knee. Adhemar followed suit.

“Duke Geoffrey…” the king began, his raspy voice weak and not very audible. “Have you come to tell me the town has surrendered?”

“I have not,” Geoffrey said. “They still hold out against the inevitable. However… my father does not. He has passed. Adhemar, his chancellor, can confirm it.”

Geoffrey stood up and motioned for Adhemar to approach. The king eyed him. “You are Peronelle’s brother?”

“Nephew, my king,” Adhemar replied. “I am the brother to Duke Geoffrey’s wife, the Duchess Marguerite, grandson of the late Duke Guilhem of Aquitaine.”

“What do you have to tell me?” the king asked.

“Duke Foulques has passed,” Adhemar said. “I had just arrived back to report to him the status of my mission in Bourges… and I learned of the news. Duke Geoffrey’s sister, the Lady Agnes, dispatched me to inform her brother of the tragic news.”

“The Lady Agnes,” the king said as he closed his eyes. “In a different world, she would be my wife.”

Adhemar’s brow rose and he glanced at Geoffrey, who motioned for him to not ask about it. The king had heard the rumors of his wife’s infidelity but had proven nothing. Still, he longed for a “wiser, more mature woman” who would not fall victim to her passions so easily. Geoffrey never said anything to that.

“A great man has passed,” the king said. “The realm mourns with you, Duke Geoffrey.”

“Thank you my king,” Geoffrey said. “And now, I need to return to my father’s lands. I will make my presence known and speak to the barons and mayors. As such, I request that you allow me leave. I am hardly needed here, in a siege, with yourself present.”

“I cannot rise from my cot,” the king said. “I am in no position to lead.”

“Prince Henri will arrive soon,” Geoffrey replied. “He is a far better suited to this task than me.”

“My king, if I may,” Adhemar said. “The people have known no other lord than Duke Foulques in over four decades. They are uncertain, and concerned. Hearing the words of Duke Geoffrey is important for Anjou… and its productivity to the realm.”

“So you will abandon me?” the king asked.

“I will not abandon you, should you truly need of me,” Geoffrey said. “But I have a responsibility to my charges. I do not wish to shirk it.”

“They are not your charges yet,” the king noted. “I have not yet invested you, have I?”

“No, you have not,” Geoffrey said. “But is there any reason you would not? I may withdraw myself and my personal guard to venture north, but my levy, and what was my father’s, shall remain…”

And suddenly an idea came to him and a small grin formed on his lips.

“My father’s levy will remain, should they be told to remain,” Geoffrey noted. “Right now, they have no lord to tell them to stay. Invest me now, and my first order will to ensure there is no question among the men of Anjou of where their place is.”

“Their loyalty should be with the crown,” the king muttered.

“But we know ‘what should be’ and ‘what is’, often are at odds,” Geoffrey said. “Uncertainty at home will only weaken their resolve.”

“Then inspire them,” the king said.

“They are not yet my charges, as you so aptly put to me,” Geoffrey said. “Tell them I am their lord and there will be no issue.”

The king continued to grumble, but his words were inaudible. Finally he raised his trembling hand and spoke, in a raspy, shaking voice, “kneel Duke Geoffrey.”

“Deftly handled, my lord,” Adhemar said as they walked from the command tent.

“And you as well… brother,” Geoffrey said. “I have heard your skill complimented. But it is another to see it in action. I am impressed.”

“It was what you wished of me,” Adhemar said. “And… I believe it is what is necessary for Anjou.”

There is a world larger than Anjou, Geoffrey thought. But he would not say that aloud, not to Adhemar. Not yet. Not before he could properly trust him.

After all, Adhemar had a claim on Aquitaine and Poitou. And rebels fought in his name in Gascony.

But he is skilled, Geoffrey realized. I can use him.

Now invested as the Duke of Anjou, Geoffrey quickly found the Angevin knight captain. After Adhemar broke the news to him of Foulques’ death, the knight captain knelt and swore his oaths to Geoffrey as his liege lord. In turn, Geoffrey instructed him to remain here with the king until he returned from Anjou.

Then Geoffrey gathered his things quickly. He did not want to wait around for the king to change his mind and try to hold him here.

He then hurried down to his horse, which had been prepared by Alias’ orders. He mounted the beast, and at the head of his bodyguard, he ordered them north, back toward the realm of the Franks… back toward Anjou.

As the pungent odors of the siege camp faded into unpleasant memory, Geoffrey smiled.

It was time to claim what was his. And Anjou was only the beginning.

1109_Geoffrey.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
will he make Anjou his first title? he has more castles he is allowed, will he be given some of them to his legitimate brothers?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very interesting start to book 2. Appropriate that we see Geoffrey manipulate a situation so deftly right upfront. If he can keep Adhemar loyal, you can see them going far with those diplomacy scores.

Could be interesting to see a genius become King, though, that would make quite a change from what we have seen so far. That is quite a realm that Geoffrey has, he would not need that many allies to pose a serious threat to the King.

Reactions:
And we immediately see Geoffrey carry on as Geoffrey does -- taking advantage of a man's moment of weakness and twisting his words back on him to get what he wants. Foulques had his sword; Geoffrey has his tongue; and both of them share that typical Angevin bull-headedness.

It also says something about Geoffrey that the first things that occur to him after hearing the news are how it might reflect on him* and who would take advantage of the situation to frustrate his ambitions. To be fair, Foulques's death was a long time coming, and Geoffrey has always been a man of action in his own way; I assume the full magnitude of his loss will probably hit him once the flurry of activity has died down a bit (say, once he's well underway and has some time to actually linger over it).

Like @guillec87, I'm also a little curious to know which title he'll end up taking as his primary.

* I can just picture Foulques's ghost looking on from beyond the grave, chuckling at the irony of it all now that he can actually know what his son is thinking.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would guess that among the first orders of business will be getting the inheritance laws in each dutchy to be consistent. Although I suppose AI Geoffrey hasn't been legitimising all his bastards the way Foulques was, and Foulques the younger (just 'Foulques' now, I suppose) is likely the current heir to everything.

Eagerly awaiting Geoffrey's return to Anjou and all that awaits him there. Particularly his wife and son as he'll now have them both in his court and have to figure out what those relationships are going to be.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now that Hugues is on his deathbed, I guess there's not much need to disguise blackmailing attempts any more. Geoffrey just heard from Foulques' death and is already using the same methods as his father; one can wonder how much he longed for being able to do that. Though of course, his plans are greater than that :rolleyes:.

Gilles truly is a legendary lecher, and the rosebush child fits well with his legend. But what I have noticed might be more important in the future is Toulouse's new trait. Looks like he hears a voice now...

The levy is just one part of Geoffrey's new power. Guilhem and Agnes really administered Anjou well, and he's going to be able to make good use of all that spending power, I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's the Geoffrey we all know and, well, er... love. Barely a moment's consideration of his father's passing before he's playing politics with a dying King to get what he wants. And Hughes, while not certainly a goner, is definitely in a rough place. He's old enough to kick off naturally at any point, frail, syphilitic, and a horrible mistreatment are just about enough to kill anyone. It's a damned shame that Prince Henri only got a level 1 education, or he would be a force of nature as King. It'll be interesting to see if his natural talents are enough to keep the family on the throne.

I have to say, Geoffrey is in an amazing spot. 8k levies, 2k gold, and a large, consolidated realm from which to scheme. If Foulques is to be commended for anything, it's the inheritance he was able to pass on to his son.

I agree - the first thing is to get all your duchies inheritances in line, and then to decide whether to honor Geoffrey's heritage or his ambition. Time, and his relationship with the Prince, will tell on that. Inheritances shouldn't be hard. He's been Duke of Aquitaine for over 10 years, Poitou for roughly 6. He may need to bribe some vassals to love him but that'd be it, and there is no way to legitimize bastards that aren't considered to be yours. Foulques should be looking at a unified inheritance, but additional heirs could change that unless the Ducal laws are changed.

Looking forward to seeing how the reign of Geoffrey turns out, at long last.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I suspect Geoffrey will grieve for his father, in his own time and his own way, if not immediately.

Actually in a way, the more I think of it them more I wonder if Geoffrey isn't simply reverting the type here. Dealing with his grief by lapsing into the familiar, which means the world of words. Foulques always struggled when he couldn't fight someone. Geoffrey arguably has it easier - there are more plentiful opportunities to talk to people than fight them after all.

I did think the first few paragraphs were a very good focus on Geoffrey's character. Something essential there.

That's the Geoffrey we all know and, well, er... love. Barely a moment's consideration of his father's passing before he's playing politics with a dying King to get what he wants.
Like father, like son. These are not overly sentimental men ... or they prefer not to think of themselves that way. Sometimes they are even convincing. And there has always been more similarities between father and son then either son or father was likely capable of recognising.

Reactions:
The Duke is dead, long live the Duke!

Now that we’re in Geoffrey’s world, I’m looking forward to hearing/seeing more of his lady temptress in Bordeaux...the one who appears to be what Alearde was to Folques? I can’t remember her name but we had a scene with her some time ago and she seemed a character with potential for the story.

Reactions:
The name for part 2 of the tale and Geoffrey’s first foray into it are a very clear nailing of colours to the mast: ambition! This is some of the same fire Foulques showed at the beginning, when he was fighting his brother to usurp Anjou and build his power base. But with his son, there is already a hearty blaze - his ardour will turn it into a roaring bonfire. We shall see if his own vanity whips the flames to success or self-immolation! :confused::eek:o_O

• 1Like
Reactions:
What a cracking start to book 2! It feels already like Duke Geoffrey is a man on a mission (or in a hurry as I reflected to one of my clients today). Such can undo a person. That said I’m impressed at both his skill and yours in writing the new start with verve and vigour...and Geoffrey :)

Bravo!

two by the piggish Helvis
this made me guffaw

there was talk his virility had spawned him a child with a rose bush!
and more CK2 oddness haha

• 1Like
Reactions:
will he make Anjou his first title? he has more castles he is allowed, will he be given some of them to his legitimate brothers?

The primary title is something that is going to come up in the future - as will the partitioning of titles. Yes, someone is raised - you'll see who in a few chapters!

Very interesting start to book 2. Appropriate that we see Geoffrey manipulate a situation so deftly right upfront. If he can keep Adhemar loyal, you can see them going far with those diplomacy scores.

Could be interesting to see a genius become King, though, that would make quite a change from what we have seen so far. That is quite a realm that Geoffrey has, he would not need that many allies to pose a serious threat to the King.

They are an interesting pair and joined through marriage to boot. Adhemar is going to be an interesting fellow going forward. He's quite useful, in more ways than just his diplomacy score.

Geoffrey's levy size and the potential matchup for the king is another thing that will be discussed in the near future. The duke is keeping an eye on it for multiple reasons. ;)

And we immediately see Geoffrey carry on as Geoffrey does -- taking advantage of a man's moment of weakness and twisting his words back on him to get what he wants. Foulques had his sword; Geoffrey has his tongue; and both of them share that typical Angevin bull-headedness.

It also says something about Geoffrey that the first things that occur to him after hearing the news are how it might reflect on him* and who would take advantage of the situation to frustrate his ambitions. To be fair, Foulques's death was a long time coming, and Geoffrey has always been a man of action in his own way; I assume the full magnitude of his loss will probably hit him once the flurry of activity has died down a bit (say, once he's well underway and has some time to actually linger over it).

Like @guillec87, I'm also a little curious to know which title he'll end up taking as his primary.

* I can just picture Foulques's ghost looking on from beyond the grave, chuckling at the irony of it all now that he can actually know what his son is thinking.

Geoffrey is ever the opportunist. And I think the big change is going to be him looking to create opportunities to exert his will rather than Foulques rather blunt show of force or the occasional fabrication of claims. Geoffrey has larger schemes that are tricky but if done properly, could result in him getting everything he wants bloodlessly - which given the scope of his desires, is quite the feat!

Good spot on Geoffrey's concern with how it reflects on him. That's something you'll see a bit more - while Foulques certainly cared about his legacy, Geoffrey's concern is very much on how he is perceived in the now. Given his strengths are his words and affability, he's not necessarily wrong to focus on that!

Showing the loss is something that has taken me some time to sort. I'm not sure it's totally sorted either. But we'll see some hints next chapter.

If Foulques can see what Geoffrey is thinking now, he'd probably be both impressed and infuriated. :D

I would guess that among the first orders of business will be getting the inheritance laws in each dutchy to be consistent. Although I suppose AI Geoffrey hasn't been legitimising all his bastards the way Foulques was, and Foulques the younger (just 'Foulques' now, I suppose) is likely the current heir to everything.

Eagerly awaiting Geoffrey's return to Anjou and all that awaits him there. Particularly his wife and son as he'll now have them both in his court and have to figure out what those relationships are going to be.

So, you're actually right on this! Because CK2's succession system is a bit of a mess when a character inherits multiple titles, Anjou's Primo succession has actually gone by the wasteside and now is gavelkind, again! (Annoying, so annoying). But you're also correct in that Geoffrey has only one legitimate son, Foulques. Guy d'Anjou is recognized but not legitimized. And pretty much all the rest of Geoffrey's bastards are not known to be his. I think he has about seven or eight, including two who are the heirs to their "fathers", who are none the wiser. In that way, he's worse than his lecherous cousin.

They will get their reunions in time. (Though admittedly, his son he's seen since both were in Melun when Foulques IV was there.) Someone else gets the limelight next.

Now that Hugues is on his deathbed, I guess there's not much need to disguise blackmailing attempts any more. Geoffrey just heard from Foulques' death and is already using the same methods as his father; one can wonder how much he longed for being able to do that. Though of course, his plans are greater than that :rolleyes:.

Gilles truly is a legendary lecher, and the rosebush child fits well with his legend. But what I have noticed might be more important in the future is Toulouse's new trait. Looks like he hears a voice now...

The levy is just one part of Geoffrey's new power. Guilhem and Agnes really administered Anjou well, and he's going to be able to make good use of all that spending power, I think.

Similar plans, different execution. Foulques probably would have insisted he be allowed to go. Geoffrey uses the king's words against him. Both underhanded and not exactly keeping in one's vassal oaths!

Toulouse actually has had that possessed trait for a little while now. I've been struggling with out to portray it, though I do make mention to it in a future chapter. As for Gilles... the guy is something else. I think he's sired more kids than I've ever seen a Christian character in this game produce. And he doesn't even need women anymore! :p Plus, that children section doesn't include those he refused to acknowledge, like Agnes' daughter, and those he's successfully passed off as someone else's!

Good eye as that spending is not to be overlooked. It does, in fact, play a big part in the future and helping Geoffrey achieve his goals. However, it may not be in the way you expect.

That's the Geoffrey we all know and, well, er... love. Barely a moment's consideration of his father's passing before he's playing politics with a dying King to get what he wants. And Hughes, while not certainly a goner, is definitely in a rough place. He's old enough to kick off naturally at any point, frail, syphilitic, and a horrible mistreatment are just about enough to kill anyone. It's a damned shame that Prince Henri only got a level 1 education, or he would be a force of nature as King. It'll be interesting to see if his natural talents are enough to keep the family on the throne.

I have to say, Geoffrey is in an amazing spot. 8k levies, 2k gold, and a large, consolidated realm from which to scheme. If Foulques is to be commended for anything, it's the inheritance he was able to pass on to his son.

I agree - the first thing is to get all your duchies inheritances in line, and then to decide whether to honor Geoffrey's heritage or his ambition. Time, and his relationship with the Prince, will tell on that. Inheritances shouldn't be hard. He's been Duke of Aquitaine for over 10 years, Poitou for roughly 6. He may need to bribe some vassals to love him but that'd be it, and there is no way to legitimize bastards that aren't considered to be yours. Foulques should be looking at a unified inheritance, but additional heirs could change that unless the Ducal laws are changed.

Looking forward to seeing how the reign of Geoffrey turns out, at long last.

The world doesn't wait around for mourning children! Though I think it a fair question if he is actually concerned about Anjou or if he sees it as an excuse to get the heck out of a place he absolutely despises. :)

Henri's level 1 education keeps him from being spectacular, but he's extremely well-rounded. I was impressed when I saw him. And he's also quite good at having children. He and Bella I believe already have two... maybe three? I have to double check.

Foulques did a great job at accumulating wealth and building a levy. Geoffrey deserves credit for expanding beyond Anjou earlier so he doesn't have to do it now. Most of your analysis is accurate, though there's really only one vassal who doesn't care for him at the moment - Patricia, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, he's very popular, which helps matters at home.

I think Geoffrey will turn into an interesting character. I aimed to do things differently this time, and I think I've achieved that with one very large event. It's a little ways off, but when it happens, I do hope you enjoy it.

I suspect Geoffrey will grieve for his father, in his own time and his own way, if not immediately.

Actually in a way, the more I think of it them more I wonder if Geoffrey isn't simply reverting the type here. Dealing with his grief by lapsing into the familiar, which means the world of words. Foulques always struggled when he couldn't fight someone. Geoffrey arguably has it easier - there are more plentiful opportunities to talk to people than fight them after all.

I did think the first few paragraphs were a very good focus on Geoffrey's character. Something essential there.

Like father, like son. These are not overly sentimental men ... or they prefer not to think of themselves that way. Sometimes they are even convincing. And there has always been more similarities between father and son then either son or father was likely capable of recognising.

Geoffrey's feelings toward Foulques are complicated. You'll see that in the next chapter, and really, over the next few chapters. He's in a strange place that I'm not certain he's convinced he'd ever be.

You are right that Geoffrey, in some ways, has it easier. When push comes to shove, Foulques was a force to be reckoned with. But Geoffrey is good at avoiding pushes turning into shoves, and when they do, they do so on his terms.

I'm glad those paragraphs did the job. I treated them as if this were the start of a new story, so I wanted them to really drive home Geoffrey's character. Glad you liked it!

A good point there on the fact he is like his father in a lack of sentimentality. And it's not only Foulques' influence there - I believe getting burned by Marguerite multiple times early in their marriage (and with his own best friend) has also hardened him. It creates an almost unsettling situation where Geoffrey is quite warm and welcoming on the outside, but can be quite cold on the inside. (In some ways, a reverse of his father in that regard)

The Duke is dead, long live the Duke!

Now that we’re in Geoffrey’s world, I’m looking forward to hearing/seeing more of his lady temptress in Bordeaux...the one who appears to be what Alearde was to Folques? I can’t remember her name but we had a scene with her some time ago and she seemed a character with potential for the story.

Ah Lily! I have been debating what to do with her. I think we'll see her again, but I'm not yet sure how. I've primarily focused on the next few chapters, which have Geoffrey away from his original base of operations in Bordeaux. I have had some ideas bouncing around...

The name for part 2 of the tale and Geoffrey’s first foray into it are a very clear nailing of colours to the mast: ambition! This is some of the same fire Foulques showed at the beginning, when he was fighting his brother to usurp Anjou and build his power base. But with his son, there is already a hearty blaze - his ardour will turn it into a roaring bonfire. We shall see if his own vanity whips the flames to success or self-immolation! :confused::eek:o_O

Yes, I felt some similarities too with Foulques beginning as I played this. It won't be too long until the banners fly either. (But Geoffrey's no Foulques - he's not after glorious battle, so there will be a difference.)

I'll say this about Geoffrey. He's smooth. But he's not invulnerable. He may get a lot of what he desires, but he's not walking away unscathed.

What a cracking start to book 2! It feels already like Duke Geoffrey is a man on a mission (or in a hurry as I reflected to one of my clients today). Such can undo a person. That said I’m impressed at both his skill and yours in writing the new start with verve and vigour...and Geoffrey :)

Bravo!

this made me guffaw

and more CK2 oddness haha

Oh he is on a mission - a mission that I've hinted at here but will be revealed in good time (two or three chapters I think?)

Thanks for the compliment! I was really excited to get my hands on him. And I like where this ends up (or at least where I currently have ended up in my gameplay). Much of it is things that I haven't necessarily seen in other AARs I've read, so I hope it can be a little different. We'll see of course.

Poor Helvis. But she's gotten what she wanted I suppose!

And speaking of people getting what they wanted, Gilles... but he learned the hard way that every rose has it's thorns.... (I'll show myself out)

To all - Glad you all enjoyed the start of Book 2. As mentioned above, I like where this goes and hopefully you'll enjoy both the journey and destination as we work to get there. I have managed to write about the next four chapters, so we should be in good shape when it comes to consistent posting. Figure the next chapter should go up tomorrow around this time or Friday.

As always, thanks for your wonderful comments and support!

Reactions:
Geoffrey has gotten what he wants and spends little time in making sure it stays his. It was pure Geoffrey with the king. Get what he wanted while making it look like it was what the king needed. I cannot wait to see waht happens when he reaches Anjou.

Reactions: