• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Woah!

Your Iron Duke has lvled up!

Gain +1 to humanity and +10 to char dvlpmnt!

Reactions:
It's about time those 2 were honest with each other. 34 years before they admit they're in love.

Some people's kids.

Very touching in all honesty. Should've chopped off Narbonne though lol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As stated by others, about time Foulques and Alearde finally admitted to each other how they truly feel. It gives the story a tragic feel.

Some people don't truly understand what the repercussions of wronging Foulques will bring. Narbone is a fool and I wonder if he will really learn his lesson from his encounter with Foulques.

I think Toulouse is beginning to see the writing on the wall and that he may start to understand where the real power will lay in the future and the poor position his friend the king has put him. He does seem to be graspng at straws and trying too much to satisfy everyone thus weakening himself in the long run.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I must say, even though he didn't get much speaking time, Narbonne is an impressively realistic character. Back in the day, I was in charge of keeping my fraternity's events safe, and the scumbags who refused to tell the difference between a flirtation and a blank check generally fit his ingame traits perfectly, from the slight charisma to the barely concealed self-loathing (though to be fair, they weren't usually poets). Duke Foulques often gives us readers some gratification when he confronts a particularly unlikable character, but it's rare that the slimeball he's beating on is so close to the ones we see around us today.

As for Alearde, Foulques needs something to love and he only loves what he can't have (whether that's a mistress or Maine - hence perhaps why the easy bauble of the crown holds so little attraction). With her he's found his perfect equilibrium.

Reactions:
That was a lovely chapter. An excellent portrayal of waking up hungover. But also I very much enjoyed the line about even Foulques being able to see the hypocrisy. And seeing Alearde's 'old' portrait was quite something. For whatever reason that hit me as hard as anything else in the chapter. Except probably the ending - the relationship between Foulques and Alearde is still the beating heart of the story in many ways, even though it mostly lives in the background now. Again, a lovely chapter and another one where we see the value of a slower paced AAR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I echo the comments made above re Foulques and Alearde - she is wiser than he, though he has improved gradually over the years. A little.

Did enjoy seeing the bounder and cad get his lesson. Though yes, Geoffrey is not much different. And a good little marriage bond with Toulouse. Will be interesting to see how generation next handles itself when the time comes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When faced with the seducers of the realm, one must ask oneself: Is it surprising that all countesses are revolting one way or the other?
(Or is one of them not working against their liege - save for recently subjugated Patricia and the Burgundian who entitled Simon?)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Duke Foulques is perhaps the last person (or last anything) I'd want to encounter in a dark hallway. Narbonne is perhaps lucky to escape with nothing more serious than some badly wounded pride.

As much as it may dismay Foulques, Toulouse is probably wise to avoid entangling himself with the Angevins too much. Anjou already has a de facto stranglehold on the French Atlantic coast, one that Geoffrey will undoubtedly take pains to consolidate once he has access to his father's levies. Put Toulouse under the Angevin aegis as well, and that's nearly half the kingdom -- and the half that includes the prosperous Mediterranean ports as well. And as Foulques himself can well attest from both sides of the fence, the Angevins seem to have a tendency for jumping the queue for inheritances...

Foulques and Alearde sharing a sweet moment together never fails to bring a smile to my face :)

Agreed on meeting Foulques in a dark hallway. I kept with the perspective of Foulques, but I can just imagine it from Narbonne's, terrified that this masked figure has him pinned, with a knife in hand, knowing he's insulted him. And Narbonne is craven as well.

Also agree on Toulouse. The younger duke finds himself in a difficult position where using his friendship with Foulques may be essential to keeping his seat, but getting in too deep with the Angevins could see him lose it a variety of ways. As hinted at, Toulouse may like Foulques but he is not nearly as chummy with Geoffrey. It is a dangerous game that they play, which is why Guilhem makes good sense as well - Geoffrey may well be less likely to strengthen a brother who holds claims on Anjou, Aquitaine and Poitou (which Guilhem will, once his mother dies) rather than Foulquesson, who will have claim over just Anjou.

I'm glad you enjoyed Foulques/Alearde. It's always so tempting when I write them to have them completely reconcile, and become lovers again. But, I've held off so far.

Woah!

Your Iron Duke has lvled up!

Gain +1 to humanity and +10 to char dvlpmnt!

Ha! Only with Alearde! She brings out the best in him.

(But I'll say the duke is going to have to deal with quite a bit of emotional things over the next few years. It's something he won't be used to).

It's about time those 2 were honest with each other. 34 years before they admit they're in love.

Some people's kids.

Very touching in all honesty. Should've chopped off Narbonne though lol.

It's one of those tragic what ifs with those two. It's a question I've posed before - but is their strong bond because they ended their romantic tie? Alearde thinks so, Foulques is uncertain. I've never answered it, and never will, because I don't think there's any way to know. Ultimately it is for you to decide whether it is tragic because they never did get together again, or tragic because the only way they could have these feelings is to not be together.

As for Narbonne, I laughed at your response. Probably would have earned Foulques quite a few more friends had he done so.

As stated by others, about time Foulques and Alearde finally admitted to each other how they truly feel. It gives the story a tragic feel.

Some people don't truly understand what the repercussions of wronging Foulques will bring. Narbone is a fool and I wonder if he will really learn his lesson from his encounter with Foulques.

I think Toulouse is beginning to see the writing on the wall and that he may start to understand where the real power will lay in the future and the poor position his friend the king has put him. He does seem to be graspng at straws and trying too much to satisfy everyone thus weakening himself in the long run.

Yep. That is it's intention. As mentioned above, there is no question in that it is a tragic relationship, the only question is to why.

People feel comforted by status or are overconfident by situation. Narbonne probably assumed he was beyond Foulques' reach. And for many dukes, that would have been the end of it. But Foulques is sneaky. And he has agents to help him be that sneaky. It was unsaid in the story, but it was no accident Narbonne got that drunk. After all, while the intimidation is very Foulques-like, everything else is much to subtle for him.

It's almost depressing to see how far Toulouse has fallen. This a man who challenged the HRE! Now, thanks to the king's blunder, he's lost much of his forces and is being challenged by a single-county countess. He's gone from power player in the realm to yet another lord who is struggling to handle his own affairs, and hold on to an increasingly tenuous grip on power. As I said, I did not intend that line that Foulques had to the king a while back about how the French Holy War would potentially damage Toulouse to have such meaning, but it sure ended up that way!

I must say, even though he didn't get much speaking time, Narbonne is an impressively realistic character. Back in the day, I was in charge of keeping my fraternity's events safe, and the scumbags who refused to tell the difference between a flirtation and a blank check generally fit his ingame traits perfectly, from the slight charisma to the barely concealed self-loathing (though to be fair, they weren't usually poets). Duke Foulques often gives us readers some gratification when he confronts a particularly unlikable character, but it's rare that the slimeball he's beating on is so close to the ones we see around us today.

As for Alearde, Foulques needs something to love and he only loves what he can't have (whether that's a mistress or Maine - hence perhaps why the easy bauble of the crown holds so little attraction). With her he's found his perfect equilibrium.

Thanks! As you note, it can be a nice moment for Foulques to get to cut loose on an unlikable character. It's best used infrequently, as that can distort the view of Foulques and lessen it's impact when used, but it's handy to break out from time to time. It worked really well in this chapter because, honestly, not having it would have made Foulques seem rather weak and impotent. This allowed him and Alearde to flash their teeth at a time when they may not have many more opportunities to do so.

Your last comment actually is interesting - it's dead on with Alearde. But it references something that is coming up in a couple of chapters. Stay tuned.

That was a lovely chapter. An excellent portrayal of waking up hungover. But also I very much enjoyed the line about even Foulques being able to see the hypocrisy. And seeing Alearde's 'old' portrait was quite something. For whatever reason that hit me as hard as anything else in the chapter. Except probably the ending - the relationship between Foulques and Alearde is still the beating heart of the story in many ways, even though it mostly lives in the background now. Again, a lovely chapter and another one where we see the value of a slower paced AAR.

Thanks. I haven't woken up hungover too many times, but I tried my best to draw from those rare experiences. ;)

On Alearde's portrait - I knew I had to include it. It was also striking to me because it, once again, shows the progression. Her portrait first appeared when she was 16. Now she's an old woman. She's seen much of this AAR and that picture, more than anything else, is a sign of how far we've traveled (all while still sticking with the same character!)

As you note, that's the benefit of slower paced AAR. If you can strike the balance, these moments can have a great impact because they've been a long time coming. I hope to create a few more of those in the near future. One chapter in particular comes to mind. I wrote it ahead of a few others that are slated to come before, but I had to write it today, as the ideas were bouncing in my head...

I echo the comments made above re Foulques and Alearde - she is wiser than he, though he has improved gradually over the years. A little.

Did enjoy seeing the bounder and cad get his lesson. Though yes, Geoffrey is not much different. And a good little marriage bond with Toulouse. Will be interesting to see how generation next handles itself when the time comes.

Alearde is the wiser of the two. She has to be - she does not have the protection of status or gender to fall back on. So she has to be more measured and more guarded. Ultimately, her status is very much reliant on Foulques, (even if Agnes would shield her some) and so she cannot be as "throw caution to the wind" as he is.

Writing these lecherous characters is always something when I know we've got Geoffrey running around. The next chapter will feature a bit of that issue as well - since Geoffrey is dealing with one of those characters directly. Hypocrite, thy name is House d'Anjou!

The marriage with Toulouse is interesting indeed. It opens up quite a few prospects for the next generation politically...

When faced with the seducers of the realm, one must ask oneself: Is it surprising that all countesses are revolting one way or the other?
(Or is one of them not working against their liege - save for recently subjugated Patricia and the Burgundian who entitled Simon?)

Ha! The Countesses know the deal. Though most of them actually have lovers on the side as well. Neither of Almodis' daughters are by her husband, the Count of Vermandois. The countess of Nevers is seduction focus, I think. Peronelle has two lovers. They give as good as they get, as it were.

There are a few which are not causing trouble at the moment, but they certainly have a knack for it! Almodis, Countess of Nevers, Emerngarda here, and of course the Lady of La Marche before - first against Alberic and then Peronelle. Me thinks the ladies of the realm have more steel than most of their male counterparts!

To all - I'm glad you all enjoyed this chapter. I wasn't certain where I was going with it, but it came out well in the end.

And speaking of the end, I created a new google doc today - the eighth titled "Anjou AAR". I create new docs around when I hit 100 pages or so in a doc, just so that it's a little less unwieldy when I open it. But... it shows you how many words have been spilled in this AAR, to just one man, Duke Foulques IV of Anjou.

But this doc will be his last. We come up on the end now for him. I am uncertain how many chapters he has left, but he has less than "100 pages in a google doc" if that is any indication. I am already jumping around a bit within it, writing some parts that come to mind, just to have them down as a base. I haven't started on Foulques' last chapter just yet, but that too is coming.

As I said, this is just the start of the last Foulques doc, so to speak, so he's not dead yet. But, opening it and realizing it's the last one for him made me stop a take a moment. So thank you for all your support as we've seen him go from a single county count in Tours to the Iron Duke of the Franks! And hopefully his last steps on his journey, along with the steps of the next generation, prove as entertaining!

Reactions:
Now that is classic Foulques. Older Foulques as well - but classic Foulques. His anger and passion all focused to brilliant efficiency. When Foulques is the master of his passion he is can be quite terrifyingly terrific. When his passions master him ... not so much.

The quiet conversation with Alearde is all the more powerful for being understated.

Reactions:
Now that is classic Foulques. Older Foulques as well - but classic Foulques. His anger and passion all focused to brilliant efficiency. When Foulques is the master of his passion he is can be quite terrifyingly terrific. When his passions master him ... not so much.

The quiet conversation with Alearde is all the more powerful for being understated.

To tie your two observations together, Foulques works best, in some ways, when he's understated. He is menacing to Narbonne but he just threatens, rather than inflicts real harm. Similar understatement with Alearde.

To all, this is where I'd be posting the next chapter... if I had Internet. Seems as though the big storm that hit the Northeastern USA has affected me for now. Not quite sure when I'll have it back and though I can check in on the forums and read other works, posting from my phone is a no go. :(

If I get to a place with WiFi and I have the time I'll do my best to get the next chapter up. Until then apologies!

But if anyone has not caught up yet, here's a few more days to do it!

Reactions:
To tie your two observations together, Foulques works best, in some ways, when he's understated. He is menacing to Narbonne but he just threatens, rather than inflicts real harm. Similar understatement with Alearde.

To all, this is where I'd be posting the next chapter... if I had Internet. Seems as though the big storm that hit the Northeastern USA has affected me for now. Not quite sure when I'll have it back and though I can check in on the forums and read other works, posting from my phone is a no go. :(

If I get to a place with WiFi and I have the time I'll do my best to get the next chapter up. Until then apologies!

Accursed weather, what to do while I await my fix:confused:

• 1Like
Reactions:
With authority and quiet menace does the Iron Duke make his presence felt...and touching scene with Alearde at the end denoting the enduring love they’ve shared. Well done :)

• 1Love
Reactions:

No worries :) We caught a glancing blow from the same storm down here -- nothing more than a few squalls, but it was inconvenient nevertheless. Hope you're at least managing to stay warm and dry. Best wishes!

• 1Like
Reactions:
now, I've just caught up again! brilliant chapters! I am loving all the courtier intrigue

• 1Like
Reactions:
Accursed weather, what to do while I await my fix:confused:

Await no longer! (And hopefully not long after that - but another storm is on the way in the next 24 hours. :()

With authority and quiet menace does the Iron Duke make his presence felt...and touching scene with Alearde at the end denoting the enduring love they’ve shared. Well done :)

Thanks! Picking off a coward like Narbonne is easy pickings for Foulques, but satisfying nonetheless. Whereas Alearde may not be satisfying, but rewarding and fulfilling, in its own way.

No worries :) We caught a glancing blow from the same storm down here -- nothing more than a few squalls, but it was inconvenient nevertheless. Hope you're at least managing to stay warm and dry. Best wishes!

Thanks! I'll need them again overnight tonight as we're getting his with another one. I don't think it will be as bad, but anytime you've got snow and wind it's got the potential for trouble.

now, I've just caught up again! brilliant chapters! I am loving all the courtier intrigue

Thanks! Glad you enjoy. The next chapter has quite a bit more of nobles not keeping their urges in check. But this one is... well.. it's quite a bit more scandalous.

To all - thanks for your patience! The internet came back about an hour ago, and I've got the next chapter ready to go. As noted above, it's just in time for another storm, so hopefully we don't end up with another power/internet loss today/tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

And the next update follows. This chapter... it's got lots of juicy bits. But Geoffrey... Geoffrey. I thought of softening this a bit here, but given everything that happens within, I couldn't. My teaser for this would be: Truths come to light as Geoffrey negotiates the marriage of his younger sister, while Foulques makes a surprising demand of the king...

Hope you all enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter 130 - September 1106
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 130
September 1106 - Melun, France

Restrain yourself.

Geoffrey had to tell himself these words over and over again as he sat in his chambers in the capital. Across from him was the portly old count of Artois, Robert, sipping on his cup of wine. He seemed smug, secure… confident.

1106_Robert_of_Artois.jpg

With good reason, Geoffrey thought. He acts as he pleases as if he is a great man of the realm, when he is nothing.

All it would take was Geoffrey to have one conversation with the king. In moments, Artois would be brought low. He would be nothing… if he kept his life. He’d certainly lose his position in Flanders - those in the duchy who despised him would see him removed as regent.

It would feel good - Geoffrey could imagine the look on his face when Artois was confronted by the king - but it also would not get him what he had worked so hard to gain over these past few years - his dwarf half-sister as the duchess of Flanders.

And so Geoffrey sat, listening to the words leaving Artois’ lips, watching his fat neck jiggle as he spoke, and repeated his internal call of personal restraint over and over again.

“You seem quiet today, Duke Geoffrey,” Artois noted. “Normally you are full of conversation. I would think you pleased to discuss your successes against your cousin. Limousin is quite the tale, from what I have heard.”

Geoffrey did not even think he was worth the effort. “I am proud of our victory. But I am not one to brag about such things.”

“A good thing,” Artois said. “If I hear of Rouen once more in my life it will be too much.”

It was something that would normally get a chuckle from Geoffrey. This time, such a reaction was easy to resist.

“Best to let such things remain in the past,” Artois said. “And look to the future.”

What future for you, you old snake, Geoffrey thought.

“There is but one future I care about when I speak with you Count Robert,” Geoffrey said. “And that is my younger sister’s. What news do you have for me on that front?”

Artois’ lips formed a sly grin. “The young duke grows more amenable to a union. The prospect of both you and your father as friends is tempting.”

“I am glad it has only taken him a few years to see it,” Geoffrey said.

“Children can be slow to learn,” Artois said.

“Especially if their teachers are poor,” Geoffrey said.

The grin faded from Artois face. He again drank from his cup before looking back at Geoffrey. “Though the boy becomes more amenable, he still hesitates without a firm commitment of friendship and alliance. So we remain as we were before.”

“My son?” Geoffrey asked. “To marry your granddaughter, Helvis daughter?”

“That remains the best way to prove your friendship to Flanders,” Artois said.

“Have you spoken to your daughter?” Geoffrey asked.

“Helvis speaks of your attempts to convince your father,” Artois said. “And while she vouches for them, I do not know if she is merely enraptured by your charm. After all, I would think that you would be able to convince your own father after all this time.”

“My father is stubborn,” Geoffrey said. “You must come to realize that perhaps there is not a union to be had there. If you wish to cost your duke the chance to be a friend of Anjou and Aquitaine… nearly the entire western half of the realm, that is your choice.”

“Is this not your son, Duke Geoffrey? One would think if you wish for this union, it would happen,” Artois noted.

“It is a little more complicated than that,” Geoffrey said.

Artois now frowned. He placed his wine down and stood up from the table.

“I grow tired of these talks,” Artois said. “Perhaps it is time for us to move on from them, as you and your father do not appear serious.”

“I also grow tired of these talks,” Geoffrey replied. “Though I am quite serious about the desire to see my sister and the young Duke Arnulf joined. However, I do admit my interest in a union between my son and your granddaughter is something I value far less.”

“My stance is unchanged,” Artois said. “If your son is not wed to my granddaughter, then there is nothing to discuss.”

Geoffrey sipped his wine. “Helvis thought quite differently when I saw her last. She was quite concerned over what I had to discuss. I admit it ruined the glow she normally has after I bed her.”

Artois’ face suddenly reddened. “What… did you say?”

“The matter I told her?” Geoffrey asked. “Or that your daughter is my lover?”

Artois lunged forward but Geoffrey quickly maneuvered out of the way, making his way from his stool and a few feet away, all while not spilling his cup of wine.

“You lecherous dog,” Artois said. “She is a married woman!”

“And who are you to talk of married women?!” Geoffrey demanded. “You bed them throughout the realm. But when it is your daughter… suddenly I am the dog?”

“You think you can taunt me with this?” Artois sneered. “Well, you will not guess who I have had in my bed!”

“The Queen of the Franks,” Geoffrey said.

Artois’ eyes widened. His mouth hung open and his hand was up, finger pointed toward Geoffrey as if he wished to level an accusation or insult… only to find himself caught off guard.

“I know not what you speak of Duke Geoffrey. Is this some sort of desperate play to convince me to back this union?”

“Make no mistake, I would never be so desperate for anything to make such a scandalous charge - unless it were true,” Geoffrey said.

“Your words are deceitful, you snake!” Artois shouted. “I shall let your father know who destroyed these talks as well. I imagine, given your fraught relationship, it will only give him greater cause to look beyond you in succession!”

Artois began to leave the chambers, but Geoffrey simply swirled his wine in the cup, keeping his guest in the corner of his eye.

“You meet her in the larder, after supper,” Geoffrey shouted to him. “She tells you that this is foolish - that she is just the daughter of a knight and should the king find out… but you insist, saying she knows how much she enjoys being with a man who is not stricken with the pox - a man who makes her scream her mother’s name in the throes of passion.”

Artois stopped in his tracks at the door. Slowly he turned back to Geoffrey, who did not look at him while he swirled his wine and approached.

“She is unable to resist,” Geoffrey said. “She gives in, so desperate is she for someone who is not a pathetically limp man in mind and body, that she lets your fat, old, flabby body ravage hers. All the while a child that is not the king’s grows in her belly.”

“You… cannot know…” Artois mumbled.

“I do know,” Geoffrey said. “You did not just use the larder. There was the time in her chambers… oh and that time in my father’s chambers because he was in Anjou and let us not forget using the king’s own bed while he fought bravely in Murcia!”

1106_Robert_of_Artois_and_Queen_Aude.jpg

Artois lunged at Geoffrey again, but the portly old count was not as swift or agile as he. His continued attempts to get him came to an embarrassing halt when he crashed into the small table, his large belly knocking it over and spilling the pitcher of wine on it to the floor.

“If I catch you, I’ll strangle the life from you myself!” Artois threatened from the ground.

Geoffrey walked over to the fallen count and exposed himself. “You have your chance. I won’t resist. But… do you think I am the only one who knows this?”

“Who… who have you told?” Artois demanded.

“I’ve told quite a few people - people who know not to speak of word of it to the king without my order,” Geoffrey said. “An order that will go out automatically in the case of my premature death. Really, did you think I would confront you with this information without having that worked out?”

Artois glared at him, his teeth grinding together as he did so.

“What do you want?” he sneered.

“Arnulf as a husband for my half-sister Ermengarde,” Geoffrey said. “As we have been discussing for years now. As I have said, I’m tired. I wish this matter resolved. If it will not be you, then I may have better hope with the next regent for Arnulf - as he will certainly need a new one after the king is done with you.”

Artois shook his head, a scowl on his face. “Your monstrous half-sister shall be the boy’s wife.”

“Monstrous?” Geoffrey asked. “There is no need for such… hyperbole. My sister is small, but hardly a monster. And you will need to learn to address your future duchess with more respect.”

“Mark my words, you insolent welp, you will learn your place, one day,” Artois swore.

“Count Robert,” Geoffrey began. “I am the Duke of Aquitaine and Poitou. Heir to the Iron Duke of the Franks. Advisor to the king… You are the count of a single county, who, if I catch wind of you moving against me, will see me or someone else relay the truth to the king. You should be grateful I do not send you to your rightful place… which, given your crime, would not be pleasant - but… Helvis pleads for you, so I will listen.”

Artois got to his feet and grunted before he angrily stormed from the chambers. But Geoffrey just smiled. The deed was done.

1106_Ermengarde_and_Arnulf.jpg

Servants were called in to clean the mess on the floor. As they did so, Alias slipped in. His focus fell to the servants and the spilled wine before he looked to Geoffrey.

“It went well then?” he asked.

“My sister will wed Arnulf of Flanders, so yes,” Geoffrey said as he raised his cup to his chancellor.

“I saw Artois as he stormed off,” Alias said. “And your wine pitcher is on the ground. Did you taunt him with it?”

Geoffrey smirked and took a sip of his wine. The servants finished their cleaning as he did, and then departed the room. When the door closed, he answered: “That. And I may have let it slip that I have been bedding his daughter.”

Alias glared at Geoffrey and shook his head, to which the duke replied: “You cannot tell me he does not deserve it.”

“And what happens when he speaks of it to others?” Alias demanded.

“He will not,” Geoffrey said. “He would destroy Helvis’ reputation in the process. And make himself look the fool for agreeing to a marriage with my family anyway.”

“I should have remained here with you,” Alias said. “You antagonize him over rumors.”

“That he laid with the queen is hardly rumor,” Geoffrey said.

“It is not the queen I speak of,” Alias replied.

“My father suspects nothing,” Geoffrey said. “Why should I?”

“‘Why’ is hardly a question when you already do,” Alias replied. “I understand your anger… but Agnes is grown and can make her own decisions. And… you do bed his pig of a daughter. Speaking of which… at least that is finished with.”

“Perhaps, perhaps not,” Geoffrey said. “Given what he did with Agnes, perhaps I should return the favor by putting a bastard in her belly.”

“Focusing on personal squabbles, my lord, may not be the wisest of options,” Alias replied.

Geoffrey knew Alias was right. He had let his restraint fall when dealing with Artois. He shouldn’t have mentioned Helvis.

But he had it on good information that Artois had bedded Agnes, and was the father of her daughter, Helie, that she had born in the winter. His suspicions on Artois and the queen had led him toward seeking out information on the count and he had learned that in more private surroundings, Artois had bragged about bedding Agnes upon his trip to Anjou last year.

1106_Helie_de_Boulogne.jpg

As much as it disgusted him to hear it, Geoffrey had little reason to doubt it - Artois had been to Anjou, and he’d heard from his own father that Agnes had practically hosted the count herself.

It mystified Geoffrey that his father did not suspect anything of it, but then Foulques seemed more forgiving to Agnes than he was with anyone else.

Geoffrey would not confront him on that - he did not wish anything negative to happen to Agnes after all. His frustration was over Henri leaving her unfulfilled and the circumstance of it all - if only he had been present in Anjou at that time. Surely she would have found comfort in his arms over a bald, fat, old man.

And he had looked forward to taking out his anger on Artois for this transgression. He knew it was hypocritical. And he knew it was foolish. But he could not resist.

Geoffrey sighed. “You are right, of course. But… I shall continue with Helvis. She is a useful tool. She cares little for her father, and will help us watch him.”

“I think she is not worth the trouble,” Alias said.

“Your concern is noted,” Geoffrey said. “We will see if you are proven correct.”

Alias frowned, but did not protest further. “Shall I send word to your father of your success regarding the marriage of your half sister to Arnulf of Flanders?”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “He will be pleased. Perhaps enough to actually recognize my success here?”

He finished off his wine and tossed the cup aside. Then he chuckled. “Probably not.”

“Recognition is nice, but it does not compare to tangible results,” Alias said. “The bond with Duke Arnulf is more valuable than your father’s congratulations. Just as he may think little of your victory over Peronelle, but Angouleme will be a fine consolation.”

“That she continues her fight is frustrating,” Geoffrey said.

“You cannot expect a madwoman to see reason,” Alias said. “But Thouars and Leonard lay siege to her keep in Marsan. And she lacks the strength to move against us, preferring to strike at her rebellious vassals keeps instead. Things go well.”

“Well enough,” Geoffrey said.

1106_Southern_situation.jpg

A knock on the door prompted Alias to answer it. On the other side was a messenger sent to tell Geoffrey the king requested his presence. Geoffrey told Alias they would continue their discussion later, and then made the walk to the king’s strategy hall.

The king was by himself, looking over a map of the realm. He glanced up at Geoffrey and shook his head.

“You know, Duke Geoffrey, when I came to power, I hoped to put the squabbling and infighting behind us, to forge a strong kingdom of the Franks,” the king said. “And now, while there are no rebellions against my rule, it appears many of my vassals face them. Your cousin Peronelle, my nephew Alphonse, my friend Toulouse… it pains me to see such things.”

It benefits you all the same, Geoffrey thought. As long as they are looking inward, they cannot focus on you.

Still, he did get the sense the king was being genuine with his concern. Hugues was not an evil or malicious man - just out of his depth.

The king looked at Geoffrey once more. “They should look to you. I hear nary a peep from your vassals. Even your cousin Patricia does not rouse too hard against you.”

“She bides her time, I’m sure,” Geoffrey replied.

“Fair,” the king said with a sly grin.

“What do you need of me, my king,” Geoffrey asked.

“What do you think of Maine?” the king asked.

Hearing it always sent a chill down Geoffrey’s spine. It was the county his father had long desired to reconquer, but it was also where one of Geoffrey’s earliest personal conquests resided.

He was taken some 10 or so years back. It was a visit to Melun at the same time as Leonard de Bage, Count of Maine, and his wife, Countess Azelma, who he was furious with as the result of the countess birthing the bastard of Geoffrey’s cousin, Duke Gilles.

As it turned out, the countess must have liked the look of men with Angevin blood, as she and Geoffrey found their way into each other’s arms, and his bed.

It was a one time thing, but nine months later, a child, Joscelin, was born. It was a child the count believed to be his own - he actually considered him his heir. But there was no doubt of the child’s parentage - the countess had told Geoffrey of the truth when he visited Maine as the king’s chancellor.

Geoffrey always wondered if one day that secret would come to light - and thought it might each time he was asked about Maine out of the blue.

1106_Countess_of_Maine.jpg

1106_Joscelin_de_Bage.jpg

“I think it is a place i should visit again sometime,” Geoffrey said. “Do you have business for me there?”

“No,” the king said. “But your father believes it is rightfully his.”

“That is not news,” Geoffrey said. “He’s thought that since before I was born.”

“And now he demands it,” the king said. “He wishes me to hand over the county of Maine to him.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. “Does he?”

“You know nothing of it?” the king asked.

“If I did, I would have been properly preparing you for such a demand,” Geoffrey said. “As you know, I have not.”

That drew a laugh from the king. “Well met, Duke Geoffrey. In any case, your father petitions me that Count Leonard of Maine is rightfully his vassal. Even though the count has been a direct vassal of my family ever since my brother reclaimed Normandy. What do you say to that?”

1106_Foulques_demands_Maine.jpg

Geoffrey had to be careful. Anything he said in support of his father could draw the ire of the king. But anything against his father would make its way back to Foulques for sure.

“Maine was a holding of my family from the days of my great uncle,” Geoffrey said. “It, by du jure right, is part of Anjou. But, you are the king. Ultimately how territories under the royal demesne are partitioned falls to your authority, and no one else.”

“You lay out a situation that is known to me,” the king said. “So would you give it to your father or not?”

It appeared the king would not accept a half-answer here. So Geoffrey took a deep breath and replied: “Maine is troublesome. He has not gotten over your firing him from the council so quickly. He will be an annoyance, and his levy is not worth the potential trouble he will bring. I would give my father what he wants to be rid of two problems - Maine and securing my father’s loyalty.”

The king brow rose and he stroked his beard. “Thank you Duke Geoffrey, that is all.”

Geoffrey bowed before the king and made his exit from the hall. The abrupt end to the conversation left him uneasy.

He spoke the truth to the king. Maine likely was not worth the trouble and giving Foulques his long desired county would permanently bind him to the crown, perhaps even tighter than Philippe had.

But Geoffrey was uncertain the king would hear it that way. He might well see it as the son of Foulques advocating for his father - or the future duke of Anjou scheming for another county.

Geoffrey sighed. The die was cast - he would now just have yet another worry about Maine to deal with.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Eh...seduction trait is daft.

And Maine...isn't worth the trouble for the king but by god, will the AI probably not see it like that. We all know that they might as well give over the land to the PC family since they'll end up running France anyway if they want to but the AI doesn't. In universe, submitting to foulques would be unwise in sight of all the other vassals, but it depends if Geoffrey can spin it right.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is Foulques finally to get Maine? Now that would be a tangible result that might improve Geoffrey's odour in his nostrils.

Geoffrey ... displayed something of his father in this negotiation too. Not the same method, but the same lightning strike.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I felt a lot like Tyrone Biggs this week. Whew!

Maine isn't worth it for either side but Geoffrey had a good point for the King to consider.

Damn, what a lech he is. Apparently Robert gets around, too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Auch, that cliffhanger is even more exciting than the last one!!! Though I'm quite dissapointed with Agnes to be frank, her taste in men... bloody hell. And I'm alzó really starting to get fond of Geoffrey, he's a mix of littlefinger and Olena (or Ollena, not quite sure about the spelling in english), just going behind the curtains and spitting out truths like daggers. Speaking of asoiaf all this talk of the iron duke, though hardly new, reminded me of a passage with jon snow and the former blacksmith of storm's end. He says that Robert Baratheon was like steel, strong yet flexible and made for war, stannis was like iron, hard yet brittle and renly was like copper, pretty, but not much else. Let's See if the dukes of anjou also relate to a different metal each, though geoffrey is by no means useless, shiny copper, Foulques the younger might as well become the steel king(?)...

Reactions: