• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You know, I could almost see some sort of clever ploy behind rotating Geoffrey out and Foulques back in, as someone who knows what he's doing (*cough*Phillippe*cough) could use father and son's well-known animosity to further his own ends, playing one off the other and sowing distrust and jealousy between the two to keep them from effectively working together. I say "almost" because if Hughes is trying something like that, he's going at it quite ham-handedly; it almost certainly isn't the sort of thing he'd come up with on his own; and in any case, the evidence for him simply being a blustering blunderer who replaces councilors on a whim and for petty reasons is much stronger.

Hughes is weak and he knows it, but he mistakes bluster for audacity and doesn't realize that force is a poor substitute for real authority. Philippe, for all his faults, was a master of "political judo," making apparent weaknesses into a source of strength by using them to channel his rivals' moves along the path of least resistance and letting them blunder against one another while he improves his own footing. Hughes, on the other hand, is utterly inflexible, and if he doesn't learn to bend he will soon be broken.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting little battle of wills between king and Marshal there. And an even better explanation of it from faithful Godfrey. I do like how you flesh out the many subordinate characters in the story.

At 1st I thought the king was being petulant for its own sake (and I’m sure the way you’ve written him that is largely the case) but it may be there is some method to his madness

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques is back where he belongs at least in name.

I feel that the king is looking for "yes" men and not those who have the interest of the kingdom at heart. He seems to be firing counsellors at a regular rate. Whether he is trying to control or reduce Foulques he is going about in the wrong manner and pushing his former supporters toward Foulques. I am glad to see that Foulques is seemingly finally realizing that he needs Geoffrey and Geoffrey needs him. Together they can be the last hope for the kingdom or for a restructuring.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I'm going to go and guess that Foulques is going to kick the bucket at the age of 66. That would give us about more six years, years that will determine the future of House Anjou and, hopefully, allow Foulques's legacy to last more than one or two generations.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, agree the King is weak and mistaking volume for gravitas and yes/men for honest advisors ... but Foulques’ legendary lack of tact and diplomacy didn’t exactly make it easier for an insecure, flighty and somewhat querulous king to accept his views! Faults on both sides there, and JabberJock has nicely used their personas rather than succumbing to gamey compromise of character integrity. :cool:

In part too, Foulques is irritated, but not enough to care that much. Instead, he acts in his and his family’s interests to exploit it. So, a new trick, but still the same old large and snappy dog performing it, and (even if the teeth keep dropping out now) still with a bite as strong as the bark! :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
It was unexpected to see Foulques back as Marshal !

As other commentators said, this unstability with councillors changed again and again seems more indicative of weakness and indecision from king Hughes than of any kind of strength.

Also, unexpected return from the son of Foulques and Lithuaise. It was so long ago that the story last spoke of Lithuaise and him that, when I reached the first mention of him as a son who thought he was a nephew, I had to wonder a good moment to remember something about him. That also makes his marriage with Beatrice akin to a marriage with a first cousin, if I'm not mistaken ? The House of Anjou should better be prudent and avoid doing too much close-kin unions like the Habsburgs !

• 1Like
Reactions:
If Hugues fears Angevin strength, then he shouldn't have launched an Iberian campaign himself. It is true that Toulouse might find himself weakened and grateful, but he himself will be weakened as well, and if an angry Geoffrey takes over Anjou while he is fighting in Iberia - well, the consequences of acting like this have been shown with the previous king, without Angevin support as well.

Holy or not, Hugues' time as king has been hard for Champagne, and will end hard for him too. In the end, one must ask oneself if it wouldn't have been smarter to at least act like if he kept Champagne as shadow prince of France.

As for Foulques, he might not like it but he is showing his age - and if just by the fact that he seems to learn from past experiences.

• 1Like
Reactions:
the King is a fool, it reminds me of Geoffrey Baratheon screaming "I am the King!"

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems one can teach an old Foulques new tricks - the lessons regarding Geoffrey actually appear to have stuck. Oh, the old discords are still their clamouring in the background in their disharmony, but Foulques does not always let them deafen him now. It is progress, of a sort.

One can see in this exchange how this new King is weaker than the old - the Son of Satan Phillipe may have been, but with Foulques at least he kept wise counsel. Hughes though ... first he fires Foulques. Then he fires Geoffrey. Now he fires Champagne and re-hires Foulques ... this is not setting out your authority. It is displaying that you have none.

Foulques is older and yes, slightly wiser. Though as always, it is on his own terms. He remains blunt with the king, even when reprimanded. Philippe inspired respect. Hugues, at this point, struggles to.

And that leaves him in a poor state. Things like this simply weaken you in the eyes of everyone around. Foulques is angered by him and doesn't fear him. Geoffrey does not seem to fear him. Alphonse doesn't even bother to meet with him. Toulouse, his friend, disregards him. I mean... the king is a title and a command of a decent-sized levy. But Hugues lacks much beyond that.

In some ways, it keeps him secure in the crown. They don't care enough about him to remove him. But it also isn't what he wants.

Hughes wishes to compare this war to Phillippe's adventures against the Muslims, but a better comparison, were he being honest, would be the Norman campaign. Taking Murcia would give him a personal duchy and probably triple his personal levy, if not more, the same gambit Phillippe used to elevate himself from a weak king to the match of most of his Dukes.

Unfortunately, antagonizing his Dukes is a sure way to ensure shenanigans at home while he is off getting hammered by the infidels.

I don't foresee any happy endings from this war. Hughes is a weakling attempting to rule with an iron fist, and that can only end poorly.

But let's see what happens!

Both have their merits. Mallorca was the first thing Philippe took and it allowed him to move against Normandy, which proved to be his crown jewel. Of course, Philippe would have lost the Normandy campaign if not for Foulques, both with the decision to save him against the English before Foulques was named Marshal and at Rouen. Which Hugues seems to ignore.

The good news for the king is that the vassals not on the council can't form strong factions against him. They are Geoffrey, Peronelle, Champagne and Arnulf. Arnulf is a child, and Peronelle and Geoffrey are not on the best of terms. So that keeps Hugues nominally in power.

You know, I could almost see some sort of clever ploy behind rotating Geoffrey out and Foulques back in, as someone who knows what he's doing (*cough*Phillippe*cough) could use father and son's well-known animosity to further his own ends, playing one off the other and sowing distrust and jealousy between the two to keep them from effectively working together. I say "almost" because if Hughes is trying something like that, he's going at it quite ham-handedly; it almost certainly isn't the sort of thing he'd come up with on his own; and in any case, the evidence for him simply being a blustering blunderer who replaces councilors on a whim and for petty reasons is much stronger.

Hughes is weak and he knows it, but he mistakes bluster for audacity and doesn't realize that force is a poor substitute for real authority. Philippe, for all his faults, was a master of "political judo," making apparent weaknesses into a source of strength by using them to channel his rivals' moves along the path of least resistance and letting them blunder against one another while he improves his own footing. Hughes, on the other hand, is utterly inflexible, and if he doesn't learn to bend he will soon be broken.

That may have been the plan under Champagne, who did hope to break the two apart and potentially get them to fight one another. But Hugues seems to lack the foresight and discipline necessary to pull such a feat off. He'd have to appear humble, and that isn't going to happen. I'm certain he wants to do it - and probably figures he can do it without Champagne. But I am not a believer. ;)

A good read on the difference between the two brothers. Philippe's political skill was far superior to his brother. But Hugues benefits from his vassals in-fighting with one another. He doesn't need the skill to stay in power... yet.

An interesting little battle of wills between king and Marshal there. And an even better explanation of it from faithful Godfrey. I do like how you flesh out the many subordinate characters in the story.

At 1st I thought the king was being petulant for its own sake (and I’m sure the way you’ve written him that is largely the case) but it may be there is some method to his madness

Thanks. One of the advantages to long narratives is the ability to get those side characters involved. It may well be required. We've spent so much time with Foulques - if it were just him that were developed, it'd probably get old quick.

It would say there's some attempt at method, but that doesn't mean he's effective. I'm often a fan of "why can't it be both." He is petulant for sure, which limits his ability to achieve his other goals.

Foulques is back where he belongs at least in name.

I feel that the king is looking for "yes" men and not those who have the interest of the kingdom at heart. He seems to be firing counsellors at a regular rate. Whether he is trying to control or reduce Foulques he is going about in the wrong manner and pushing his former supporters toward Foulques. I am glad to see that Foulques is seemingly finally realizing that he needs Geoffrey and Geoffrey needs him. Together they can be the last hope for the kingdom or for a restructuring.

The king has cleaned out is council at a good rate. Three firings in two years (Leonard of Maine, Geoffrey, Champagne) is rather impressive, especially given he was able to bring in his own people, and did. It certainly is a good way to accumulating malus with vassals! He wants to be recognized as king and is upset his vassals prey upon his weakness. Yet the important thing Philippe understood, that Hugues seems incapable of doing, is to accept that you must concede at times. (Philippe arguably spent the first half of his reign doing this with Guilhem, then the latter half with Foulques).

Foulques had a nice moment there of realizing what he accomplishes will be for naught if Geoffrey is left to squander it. It both made him willing to protect his son but also have a sense of self-importance in doing it.

I'm going to go and guess that Foulques is going to kick the bucket at the age of 66. That would give us about more six years, years that will determine the future of House Anjou and, hopefully, allow Foulques's legacy to last more than one or two generations.

A fine guess is all I'll say on that. ;)

Yes, agree the King is weak and mistaking volume for gravitas and yes/men for honest advisors ... but Foulques’ legendary lack of tact and diplomacy didn’t exactly make it easier for an insecure, flighty and somewhat querulous king to accept his views! Faults on both sides there, and JabberJock has nicely used their personas rather than succumbing to gamey compromise of character integrity. :cool:

In part too, Foulques is irritated, but not enough to care that much. Instead, he acts in his and his family’s interests to exploit it. So, a new trick, but still the same old large and snappy dog performing it, and (even if the teeth keep dropping out now) still with a bite as strong as the bark! :)

You are right on this too! Foulques' bluntness served him well with Philippe. It doesn't here, especially after the king has fired two councilors for, at least in his view, trying to be the power behind the throne. I do try hard to keep everyone in character, and roll with events. Sometimes, it's really hard though.

Foulques irritation grows in time, but it is more of an insult than a threat. An insult, he can be talked down from with sly and wise words from Godfrey (always appealing to Foulques' pride). And that bite can still be powerful as you say.

It was unexpected to see Foulques back as Marshal !

As other commentators said, this unstability with councillors changed again and again seems more indicative of weakness and indecision from king Hughes than of any kind of strength.

Also, unexpected return from the son of Foulques and Lithuaise. It was so long ago that the story last spoke of Lithuaise and him that, when I reached the first mention of him as a son who thought he was a nephew, I had to wonder a good moment to remember something about him. That also makes his marriage with Beatrice akin to a marriage with a first cousin, if I'm not mistaken ? The House of Anjou should better be prudent and avoid doing too much close-kin unions like the Habsburgs !

Yeah, I honestly have no idea why Foulques was not made marshal right away. I thought, perhaps, it was the seclusion. But he was offered the position just before I opened the gates. And trust me, this council stuff isn't quite done yet. There's more twists on that front - I have no idea what the king was doing except putting out fires of his own making.

The Edouard-Beatrice marriage is very close for comfort - the closest I believe anyone has had to this point. (Geoffrey and Marguerite were first cousins, once removed). It isn't the closest relationship - that goes to Gilles and Agnes, who managed to produce Beatrice who... man if she has any children with Eduoard, it may not turn out well.

My original plans included branching out a bit once I secured certain claims. But certain characters have other ideas. ;)

If Hugues fears Angevin strength, then he shouldn't have launched an Iberian campaign himself. It is true that Toulouse might find himself weakened and grateful, but he himself will be weakened as well, and if an angry Geoffrey takes over Anjou while he is fighting in Iberia - well, the consequences of acting like this have been shown with the previous king, without Angevin support as well.

Holy or not, Hugues' time as king has been hard for Champagne, and will end hard for him too. In the end, one must ask oneself if it wouldn't have been smarter to at least act like if he kept Champagne as shadow prince of France.

As for Foulques, he might not like it but he is showing his age - and if just by the fact that he seems to learn from past experiences.

I agree on the risk of fighting the Iberian war. But he also has only Melun among his holdings now and is pathetically weak. If he waits much longer, it's possible the current in-fightings may end and he might end up unable to hold his throne anyway. The mistake was firing Geoffrey, who has some power now but could suddenly become the ultimate king maker at any moment, given Foulques' age. But... the king has not always acted wisely.

What he *should* do is drop Orleans, who is worthless. He is a one-county duke. Then he could have Foulques/Alphonse/Toulouse along with Geoffrey/Champagne. Or just trust in his friendship with Toulouse. Or heck, appoint someone spymaster. (Oddly Foulques would have been passable in the role) But the king has not allocated his council seats nearly as well as his brother.

I have tried to drop hints as to Foulques' age... and his denial of it. More of those will be sprinkled in, including the opening scene of the next chapter.

the King is a fool, it reminds me of Geoffrey Baratheon screaming "I am the King!"

Ha. I think Hugues thinks if he keeps things calm in public, but admonishes them in private, that's a way to split the difference. Have I mentioned he lacks the political savvy of his brother yet?

To all - the next chapter should roll out in the evening (US time) tomorrow. I'm going to be fairly busy over the next week, but I've gotten nearly three updates written so there shouldn't be too much of a break in schedule.

I actually had a laugh writing one chapter today over realizing why a specific thing happened to a character. I found it funny because I threw a line in prior just as something a character might think. Turns out what that character thought actually happened! I believe that event is in two chapters, so you might be able to pick it out then.

One other random note, in our story Hugues was crowned king in 1101. I was thinking about that today and find it kind of amusing because in real life, Hugues was actually killed in 1101. He was killed on crusade.

More interesting bits on that. The reason he was on crusade was because Philippe was excommunicated by the church. (Yes, he managed to piss off the church even more than in my game where he was called the son of Satan). And why was Philippe excommunicated? Because he had been living in sin with the wife of another vassal, Bertrade de Montfort. Whose wife was Bertrade de Montfort? Why our good man Foulques IV of Anjou.

Obviously things turned out a bit different in this story. But's kind of funny that Hugues in game was crowned the same year he died in real life, and that his death was indirectly related to Foulques himself.

Anyway, aside over. Thanks as always for your comments and feedback!

Reactions:
What exactly was the point in him appointing foulques to the council if the king was going to ignore everything that he says and mock him to his face, pull rank in the worst of manners and act like an insecure Weakling? Sure I can see why he would want the duke as a marshal. He's a useful tool in fighting wars, he's a vassal no one would want to annoy, he's an experienced fighter and noble in a court filled with the young and the stupid...and the king wants to keep tabs on him until Geoffrey is either on his side again or neutralised.

But instead he's making enemies of both of them, when he can't afford even one of them to be not a firm ally. Even worse, he's wrecked his life support system by removing Champagne, making it clear he wont be controlled and that everyone in the rebellion wasted their time fighting for him. So now he has precious few supporters and is making enemies of the most powerful men in the realm.

Depending on how much this is reflective of ingame loyalties and monarch affection, perhaps we should start a bet in who will die first, foulques of old age or the king via assassination?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What exactly was the point in him appointing foulques to the council if the king was going to ignore everything that he says and mock him to his face, pull rank in the worst of manners and act like an insecure Weakling? Sure I can see why he would want the duke as a marshal. He's a useful tool in fighting wars, he's a vassal no one would want to annoy, he's an experienced fighter and noble in a court filled with the young and the stupid...and the king wants to keep tabs on him until Geoffrey is either on his side again or neutralised.

But instead he's making enemies of both of them, when he can't afford even one of them to be not a firm ally. Even worse, he's wrecked his life support system by removing Champagne, making it clear he wont be controlled and that everyone in the rebellion wasted their time fighting for him. So now he has precious few supporters and is making enemies of the most powerful men in the realm.

Depending on how much this is reflective of ingame loyalties and monarch affection, perhaps we should start a bet in who will die first, foulques of old age or the king via assassination?

I'd say the point likely is to give Foulques' status. As for what he expected? Perhaps the king thought Foulques would agree? Or simply would not pay it much mind. But when it escalates, the king grows defensive, and becomes intent to show only he makes decisions for the realm. Of course, what he hopes is not how it comes off. He should know better... but Foulques restrained his bluntness to Philippe (most of the time) to private situations. So perhaps Hugues did not expect Foulques to speak to him like that.

In theory he actually draws father and son closer together. Though one thing that helps the king here is both father and son tend to be unable to avoid strife for long. Their peace is an uneasy. (More on that in the next chapter) But basically the king has a short-fuse and doesn't always plan out situations as well as he should.

You are right to suspect this is laying the groundwork for something in the future though. As to what, I can't say yet.

To all, the next chapter follows shortly. The family is together again for this one. Hope you all enjoy.

Reactions:
To all, the next chapter follows shortly. The family is together again for this one. Hope you all enjoy.

Quick chance to get a thought in: it seems Foulques will have little choice but to keep Geoffrey's interests in mind now, given how he pushed Geoffrey to do the same for him when Geoffrey was on the council.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 121 - February 1104
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 121
February 1104 - Melun, France

Foulques sat in bed, as he often did after his time Ness, starting at his lover as she helped herself to a cup of wine.

Normally it would be a time where he would bask in her beauty. Perhaps it would be a reflection of how much she had changed - from the girl he had seduced into the woman who had borne him two sons. Or perhaps he would think about how with each passing day she became more like her mother, in body and mind.

Today was not normal.

No, most days he would be tired and exhausted as he admired her. Today he was frustrated by his inability to do anything with her.

It was not through lack of trying. He had done everything he could think of. She had done all of her old tricks to entice him. But nothing. His body refused to respond to her.

“I am certain you are just tired from your journey,” Ness told him.

“I have made the journey many times,” Foulques told her. Not to mention he had arrived yesterday.

“Yes but…”

Her voice trailed off. He knew what she meant to say, even as she thought better of it.

“But I am growing older? Is that what you did not have the courage to finish?” he demanded.

Ness lowered her head. “It is nothing to be ashamed of, husband.”

“And what would you know of it?” he asked.

“I…”

But she could find no other words. He was not surprised, as much as he wished to be.

A merciful knock on the door. Foulques was robed already - it was too cold not to be - and moved to answer it. Guilhem the steward waited on the other side of the door.

“Your son has arrived,” he said.

“I will be with him shortly,” Foulques said. “In the strategy hall.”

He closed the door behind him. Ness glanced at him, but did not maintain eye contact. There was a time where she’d demand he remain with her over Geoffrey. Now?

Foulques said nothing, instead adding his leathers to his outfit and grabbing his sword before going down to meet his son.

Geoffrey was also in leather armor, as he stood in the strategy hall. He did not wait, as he was not alone - he was with his son, Foulques the younger.

“The king complimented me on my swordplay,” the younger Foulques said.

“Did he?” Geoffrey asked. “Impressive. That makes… two kings whom you’ve impressed? Already making a name for yourself in the realm. Soon, you may be have more renown than me!”

The boy lowered his head, but it did little to hide his smile at the compliment as his father patted him on the shoulder.

“Will you see mother?” the younger Foulques asked.

Foulques saw the pleasure disappear from Geoffrey’s face. It was momentary - he was quite good at keeping up appearances, but the elder duke knew his son. And he knew it was a subject he did not wish to discuss.

“I will,” Geoffrey said. “I do not know for how long though.”

Foulques was surprised to hear it. But then, Geoffrey seemed to aim to please his son whenever he had the opportunity.

Geoffrey had noticed his father, but the younger Foulques, back turned to the door, had not. That changed when Foulques closed the distance, the shuffling of his feet enough to get the boy to turn around.

“Grandfather,” the boy said. “I was just talking to father.”

“And does he have anything interesting to say?” Foulques asked.

“He says he has a brought with him a stallion from Bordeaux for me!” the boy said. “I should like to ride it soon!”

“Perhaps you would like to now?” Foulques asked. “Tell Renaud about it. He should let you ride.”

“Can I?” the boy asked. “Thank you grandfather! And thank you father, for it.”

The boy hurried from the strategy hall. Geoffrey cocked his brow toward his father before pouring himself some wine.

“I was going to show him the beast myself,” he said.

“We have important matters to discuss,” Foulques said. “You can ride with him before the sun sets.”

“Which it shall, shortly,” Geoffrey said.

“Then we had best speak quickly,” Foulques replied.

Geoffrey shrugged. “I am uncertain why you summoned me here. You know the war with Uc has ended. Renaud would not have returned if business was unfinished.”

That was true - Geoffrey had won the war against the rebels and now could claim complete control over Poitou, as well as Aquitaine. But no, that was not the true reason for him being called here.

“You are angry at the king,” Foulques said.

“I do not find much love for him at the moment,” Geoffrey admitted. “I am sure you understand why.”

“I do,” Foulques said. “But you do yourself no favors. You back that fool Burgundy for the crown over him?”

1104_Geoffrey_factions.jpg

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “I have said I would not be opposed to the Duke of Burgundy as king. That is hardly full-throated support. It is he who promotes himself. If you have issues with it, you should go to him, not me.”

“And what of the group that demands increased council power in the realm?” Foulques asked. “Are you not their leader?”

Geoffrey smirked. “I am, yes. Our ranks grow. Champagne joins me.”

“I have heard whispers he did so to return a favor to you,” Foulques said.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “He got cold feet and then I reminded him he owed me for costing me my position.”

1104_Philipp_annoyed_at_Geoffrey.jpg

“So now you plot your revenge openly, and stupidly.”

“I would think you would agree with our position,” Geoffrey added. “Seeing how the king dismisses your sage advice on the war, and has it flounder as a result.”

“That king watches you intently and you give him reason to move against you by performing acts that could be considered treasonous,” Foulques said.

“The faction I lead believes the king’s council should have greater say in the affairs of the realm,” Geoffrey said. “It does not advocate the replacement or overthrow of the king. Asking for more say is hardly treason - any more than it is to disagree with him at all.”

“Your word games may make you feel smug, but it changes nothing should the king take issue with them,” Foulques said.

“Yes, Godfrey said as much to me,” Geoffrey said. “And here I did not expect you to take the king’s side father. The council seat means that much to you?”

Foulques sprang forward and shoved Geoffrey onto the large table in the center of the room, knocking over the wine pitcher. He held him down with his forearm across Geoffrey's neck. The surprise of the action actually rendered Geoffrey defenseless.

“Your arrogance will ruin us both,” Foulques warned. “You have the opportunity to one day wield power beyond any other in the realm and your impatience will see you thrown in the king’s dungeon and dispossessed of the lands you have worked so far to earn.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. “He would not dare… with your levy…”

“I tire of hearing you hide behind my levy,” Foulques said. “I thought you had moved beyond that, but perhaps I have overestimated your maturity.”

Geoffrey pulled away and then adjusted his clothing to put it back into place. “I am ambitious. It is important to take risks to achieve one’s goals. You, of all people, should understand that.”

“Foolishness called ‘risk’ is still foolishness,” Foulques warned.

“They would have said it was foolish to attack the King of the Bretons,” Geoffrey said. “But you did. I would think you proud of my efforts. But I begin to wonder if perhaps you are the only man allowed to show such ambition.”

“Your tongue cannot allow you to escape this,” Foulques said. “At some point---”

The closing of the door to the hall interrupted him mid-sentence. The two men looked over to see Agnes approaching them. Geoffrey lowered his head as she approached, her head covered by a coif, her hands over her abdomen as she walked. Foulques decided to hold his tongue - at least for the moment.

“Do I interrupt anything?” she asked. “I thought I heard you two arguing.”

Geoffrey glanced at his father, then back to her. “It is… nothing. Father and I disagree. I am certain you are used to it by now.”

“I am never used to it brother,” Agnes replied. “It bothers me greatly that you two quarrel like enemies. I had thought you both past it!”

“You know why I am angry with him,” Foulques told her. “And I have said my piece. If he listens to it or not… is up to him.”

Agnes looked to Geoffrey, a frown on her pale face. “Please brother - father looks out for your interest, even if he does not articulate it well. Forming factions against the king is foolish. In time, you will have more than enough power to make yourself heard. Patience is a virtue.”

Geoffrey looked away for a moment and grunted before turning back to his sister, smile on his face.

“You are as wise as you are beautiful sister,” he said. “I shall rethink my decision to lead this faction against the king.”

“I am glad to hear you say such a thing brother,” Agnes said before lowering her head. “I should like to have you meet the child growing in my belly.”

Geoffrey grew wide-eyed. But he was not alone - Foulques joined him. He knew nothing of this from his daughter - at first he thought he had heard her wrong. But given his son’s expression, and the nervous smile on Agnes’ face, combined with the reddish complexion she was fast developing, told him he heard her words true.

“Are you certain?” Geoffrey asked.

“The Lady Adalmode has confirmed it,” Agnes said. “I am with child. I have been quiet for a few weeks to you father, even though I had told Etiennette and Alearde. But with Geoffrey here… I could not be silent any longer.”

Foulques smiled and embraced his daughter. Geoffrey did the same with her, though his expression seemed to be much less joyous. Probably still bitter over who she married, Foulques realized.

“We will celebrate tonight,” Foulques said. “We were to have a fine meal anyway, but we shall make certain all have enough wine and enough to eat.”

“It is nice to know you were holding things in reserve for your son and his party,” Geoffrey replied.

“Quiet,” Foulques said. “I’ll not have you sully this moment.”

“Then you both should put this matter to rest,” Agnes said. “Father, Geoffrey said he will think on leaving the factions. I believe he will. And Geoffrey, father prepared a fine feast for you. He just wishes to make this moment feel special for me.”

Foulques looked at his son. The Duke of Aquitaine did not appear pleased. But again he turned to his sister and bowed.

“Once again your wisdom shines through,” he said. “Forgive my behavior sister. And to you, father.”

Foulques eyed his son who now bowed, ever so slightly. “You are forgiven, son.”

If Geoffrey expected more than that, he was not to receive it. But he clearly was restrained by his sister, and would say nothing else.

This had been unexpected, but Foulques made note for the future that he needed to keep her nearby whenever he and Geoffrey had to hash out some unpleasantness.

As the three walked to the main hall, chancellor Godfrey came upon them. His face seemed somewhat distressed as he looked the three over.

“What is the matter?” Foulques demanded. “Why do you look so sullen? Daughter, have you not told him?”

Agnes shook her head. But she smiled at him and then said: “I am with child chancellor. Your son is to become a father.”

Godfrey’s worried look faded for a moment, replaced with a wide grin of his own. “That is marvelous news, my dear! I must congratulate Henri this evening. I take it he was quite pleased.”

“He was surprised,” Agnes said. “But yes, very happy. It looked as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.”

“As it appears has been off yours, Godfrey,” Geoffrey noted. “What was the worry before?”

Again the chancellor appeared to grow apprehensive. But he spoke.

“I was debating whether to just tell your father in private, but given that… it is your family, I suppose you should know,” Godfrey said. “My lord, your brother Robert has sent a messenger. Your brother Simon is dead.”

Foulques did not respond. He did not care for his youngest half-brother. He was weak, ineffectual and a tool of others.

And yet, the idea that his younger brother was now dead… hit him harder than he expected. A punch in the gut - leaving him short of breath - so much so that it was Geoffrey who spoke.

“How?” Geoffrey wondered.

“He was murdered,” Godfrey said. “Found by the stables with his throat slit.”

Agnes’ eyes were wide and her hand covered her mouth. “Did they find who did it?” she wondered.

“No,” Godfrey said. “Robert says they search. But the ones who did it are probably long gone. I… I am sorry for your family, my lord, my lady, Duke Geoffrey.”

1104_Simon_murdered.jpg

Foulques said nothing. Slowly, he tried to process it all.

My youngest brother… dead?

…..

Those words kept repeating in his mind throughout the feast.

Cheers went up for Agnes and Henri. Geoffrey delivered an eloquent speech that Foulques did not pay much attention to but made Agnes blush. Words were spoken to him, but he made them little mind.

His brother Simon kept returning to mind. His last image of him, sniveling, begging for his life at the hands of Philippe… who was also now dead over two years.

Who could have wanted him dead?

Foulques wondered if it was Robert, but then thought against it - he had nothing to gain as Simon’s older brother. The king, to remove a potential claimant? It seemed beyond Hugues to do that. Champagne had no reason… could it have been Burgundy?

Of course, he would likely never know who. It was just a fact now, as real as the sunrise every morning and sunset every night. Simon was dead. In an instant, his life was over.

Had he even seen it coming? Or did he just feel the pain at his neck, and then lie dumbfounded as his lifeblood drained away on the stable ground?

Foulques pondered that question after dinner, walking the halls. The thought made him edgy - he looked over his shoulders as he walked with a small torch through the dimly lit passageway.

A sound made him spin around.

No one was behind him, or to the side. He was alone.

But in the quiet he did hear something. It sounded muffled… not a person talking but… someone…

Curious, he tried to track the sound, which he could hear as he moved down the hall. He eventually traced it to a small room - one he’d often used before for secret meetings, either over spy-related matters or moments with his lovers over the years.

As it turned out, it was an old lover of his in the room - Etiennette. The Karling girl, now Karling woman, sat by herself as she had her face buried in her hands. She looked up though when Foulques entered, revealing her bloodshot eyes and tear soaked cheeks.

“My lord,” she said as she pulled herself upright, and then wiped her face on her sleeve.

“What is the matter?” he asked her.

“I do not wish to trouble you with my issues,” Etiennette replied.

“I asked you, did I not? What is the problem?” Foulques demanded.

“It is my eldest daughter,” Etiennette replied. “Ermengarde… she is dying.”

“Dying?” Foulques asked. His voice wavered for a moment. “How? Can Adalmode not aid her?”

“Adalmode says she has a type of wasting illness,” Etiennette said. “Her bones are brittle, she bruises easily… her cuts to do not heal quickly. And there is nothing she can do.”

1104_Emengarda.jpg

Foulques did not know much about the girl, besides that she was the daughter Etiennette had borne Gilles, who the Duke of Berry refused to recognize. She was about the same age as his granddaughter, and her half-sister, Beatrice… and that was it.

But it was death. More death. Death that was unexpected - that should not be.

“I am sorry to hear that,” Foulques replied. “No one should lose their life that young.”

“It is not fair,” Etiennette moaned. “She has done nothing wrong. She is no different than Beatrice. But Beatrice is a lady to a queen. And… married. And my daughter… she will have none of those things. She…”

And Etiennette began to wail once more, sinking back to the stool she sat on, muffling her cries in her palms as she buried her face in them again.

It had been some time since Foulques had been with Etiennette - he used to keep her as a lover in Anjou when Ness was in Melun, but that had not been for some time. She was always, sweet, simple and willing - she required very little effort to please.

Now it appeared she needed help from him after all, especially since she was alone now. Her younger sister Margot had been shipped off, becoming the Duchess of Ostlandet. Offering comfort was something that did not come to him easily. But he closed the door, stood beside her and gently rubbed her back.

1104_Margot_duchess.jpg

“I should not be troubling you with this my lord,” she said. “I spoil a happy night for your family. Agnes will have another child. You feast with your son once more. A joyous night.”

Foulques shook his head. “You spoil nothing. Fate already spoiled this evening long before I stumbled upon you, my dear.”

“What… what was the matter?” she asked.

He did not even hesitate. “My brother Simon is dead. Murdered.”

Etiennette’s eyes widened and she cupped her mouth with her hand. “My lord, I… I am sorry. I did not know he meant that much to you.”

“He did not,” Foulques said. “I thought him an embarrassment. Like my elder brother Geoffrey, but never fortunate to have something to squander. And yet… I cannot stop thinking about him.”

Etiennette shrugged. “He is your brother. Blood. That you think of him is how it should be.”

Foulques looked at her. “Do you think of your brother?”

She frowned and looked toward the ground. “Yes, at times. But I am grateful you showed him leniency. You and Duke Geoffrey. Other men… they would have not let him live.”

“He might be dead if not for you,” Foulques said as he touched her hair. “I cannot deny that your… presence in my life may have given him a chance he would not have had otherwise.”

Etiennette blushed. “I did not know that I had meant that much to you, my lord.”

He pulled her from her stool and toward into his grasp. She had never meant as much to him as Beatritz, Aines or even Ness. But she had been worth something to him. She was not exciting, but she was safe and simple.

And when he pulled her close, this time, unlike with Ness, his body responded.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Quick chance to get a thought in: it seems Foulques will have little choice but to keep Geoffrey's interests in mind now, given how he pushed Geoffrey to do the same for him when Geoffrey was on the council.

That would make sense, but Foulques is also a fairly massive hypocrite. ;) He'd also probably argue he did that for Geoffrey already, with Philippe, for much longer. (Not saying he's right, but it'd probably be what he'd say)

Reactions:
Ah, Agnes helps Foulques keep Geoffrey from doing anything too stupid - or fatal - before he inherits Anjou. And, for the sake of immersion, let us say “becomes more receptive to wise counsel”. ;)

Is Geoffrey’s particularly deferential attitude with Agnes born from embarrassment or hope, one wonders. Or perhaps both. :oops:

• 1Like
Reactions:
It does seem as though everyone Foulques knows and cares about (by a broad definition of the word...) is passing away, one after another. Foulques himself seems to be keenly feeling the weight of his years as well; impotence seems to be a common theme in this chapter, in more ways than the obvious one ;)

Geoffrey is, of course, absolutely right to point out that he's doing nothing less than following in the example that his father has set, foolhardy as it may seem. Foulques is, in turn, also absolutely right in pointing out that Geoffrey seems entirely too willing to gamble with assets that aren't yet actually his, and that treating his king with ill-hidden scorn is practically inviting disaster (or, at the very least, the contempt of his own peers).

Finally, an idle thought: As loath as Foulques would be to admit it (even to himself), I do think he's a little bit jealous of Geoffrey's relationship with Foulques the Younger.

• 1Love
Reactions:
That would make sense, but Foulques is also a fairly massive hypocrite. ;) He'd also probably argue he did that for Geoffrey already, with Philippe, for much longer. (Not saying he's right, but it'd probably be what he'd say)

He is indeed. I have been thinking about the frequent hypocrisy of those in power lately, after a socially conservative politician here in Australia (who has previously opposed Gardasil vaccine because it could give women license to be promiscuous, and opposed same sex marriage to 'protect the sanctity of marriage') was recently revealed to have had an affair with a staffer leading to him separating from his wife with whom he has four children - and is now expecting a child with his new squeeze. Stunning and horrible hypocrisy. We see it in Foulques and we still see it here in the real world a thousand years later and it's not nearly as entertaining. But anyway...

I think i have commented before on the excellent way you prepare readers for coming events without telegraphing them too hard or too obviously. Although I don't expect Foulques to drop dead in the next few chapters, I am beginning to prepare myself for it, as perhaps is Foulques himself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I drew more about the cycle of life and death than anything political from this chapter, personally. A dead brother, a new grandchild, and a girl dying in the flower of her youth.

Welp, no choice but to send her out with a bang, Mr. Seduction Focus for life.

Reactions:
Talk about emotional highs and lows. Being the leader of a faction or part of a faction may not be as detrimental to Geoffrey as Foulques worries. It may even pay if the king decides to gift Geoffrey some coin or some other bribe to change his position. If push came to shove and the king did do something I don't think Foulques would leave Geoffrey hanging. Foulques has too much pride to allow that to happen. He definitely has the muscle to do so. Foulques is just incredulous with the women. Etiennette is losing a daughter and all Foulques does is turn an attempt at comforting into a seduction.

Then there is Agnes the one who truly keeps the family from destroying itself either from the outside or from within. I think her death would be a more devastating blow than anyone else. Now about that child, should a DNA test be done?

• 1Like
Reactions:
He is indeed. I have been thinking about the frequent hypocrisy of those in power lately, after a socially conservative politician here in Australia (who has previously opposed Gardasil vaccine because it could give women license to be promiscuous, and opposed same sex marriage to 'protect the sanctity of marriage') was recently revealed to have had an affair with a staffer leading to him separating from his wife with whom he has four children - and is now expecting a child with his new squeeze. Stunning and horrible hypocrisy. We see it in Foulques and we still see it here in the real world a thousand years later and it's not nearly as entertaining. But anyway...
I pity poor old Folques, being compared to Barnaby Joyce! :eek:
I mean they both obviously had the seduction focus but I didn't think Folques was quite as unremittingly evil. :p

• 1Like
Reactions: