• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah...I see you've reached the game mechanic which we dare not speak of. And funnily enough, the reason why Dux can't have a sequel (unless I get really clever with metaphors and re-write everyone's romances...).

Okay...so...Geoffrey wants to bed his sister. Now, they way everything has happened and what's gone down before makes this seem both utterly out of the blue and also perhaps a little understandable considering how close Foulques and his son have come to madness before. Perhaps you can use the curse from many chapters ago to cover your ass here. Make him nuts and we don't have to think or read about all the implications of this little drama.
Otherwise...you are going to have to explain this one a bit more and there will be dire consequences for the family should this ever get out. As in, this will kill France dead and probably start a civil war at best.
Especially as she does not seem at all willing. If he tries to rape her on top of everything else wicked about this whole affair...the family will be burnt alive at the stake and at the court of public opinion. They'd have to...well, they'd have to run away, far away from the continent to survive. Is this going to be the thing that sets off Plantagenet England? Who says history is boring?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Note: That's end of part one of this. "Repelled" is what you get with failed attempts to start seduction. So yes, AI-controlled Geoffrey did really attempt to "woo" and seduce his sister (which is a first for any AI that I've noticed). I did not go George R.R. Martin on my own. But obviously, it was something that needed to be... featured. So hopefully this worked.
Ooh AI, you are wicked! Though not so wicked that Agnes accepted the offer - she is no Cersei! That could have left you with a long and somewhat uncomfortable story arc, especially when Geoffrey becomes the player character! :eek::confused:

Very cleverly and well written scene earlier between Foulkes and Geoffrey too - those inter-generational tensions are nicely captured. As is the ability of Foulkes to put him off, no matter how much he tries to prepare himself against it. That shadow won’t pass until Foulkes himself is a shade - and even then you get the impression it will linger in Geoffrey’s mind and the situation he will find himself in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh CK2, how I love thee...

Geoffrey is far more like his father than he dare admit I think. Interesting how in this post Geoffrey is the one thwarted at every turn, and the only one who gives him comfort is his acknoweldged enemy.

I think you must have had a lot of fun writing these scenes.

This game really is like no other. :D

One thing I've tried to do is show how the two can be similar without the same strengths. And especially in times on frustration, Geoffrey reverts to what he knows - his father. The irony is that he does exactly as his father wants him to do here - Foulques isolated him, angered him, precisely so that he'd be forced to go back to Marguerite. (Of course, if Agnes had chosen differently...)

I had fun, but man did I want to get them right. I was quite nervous when I pushed these out!

AI.... thumbs up! Really acting like most players would :D.

While feeling comfortable on his -now- home turf, Foulques' shadow does not make Geoffrey's time easy in Anjou. I've got a feeling it will be at the same time alike and different once he has to head to Melun for the king, which, paired with his ambition, may not end well for some people.

Most players? Sir, what is happening in your CK2 games? :D

I really did try to play up the "homefield advantage" for each man in their respective castles. It's more a manner of controlling the environment - it's not as if Geoffrey is seeing new things. He just lacks control of his surroundings.

And Geoffrey hits the Rock Bottom!

Does this constitute CK2 rock bottom? Perhaps for Geoffrey to this point in his life, but Foulques is right - Geoffrey has had a pretty good existence to this point.

Are you sure you're not playing as Geoffrey? That was the most ck2 player thing I have ever seen the AI attempt.

Ha. No, in fact I did not even know Geoffrey had done this until I went back and started looking through his relationships to piece together color/background for his chapters. I saw this and had to double check that's what it meant... but yes, it appears he has it for both Agnes (his sister) and Agnes (his sister-in-law).

I'll add that while I've never seen it before, I can't say I looked for it before - and I can't say it doesn't happen by the AI at all. It's a 2-year modifier, and would only happen with a seduction character who has an of age sister in the realm. And you have to examine another character's relationships to find it. So had the Geoffrey chapters not been requested by you guys, I would not have noticed it. So at least a small assist chapter to this really does go to you all.

Annnnnd... everyone lock your doors. Paradox's Incest Simulator has now become self aware...

Seriously i've never seen the AI pull so much typically player shenanigans. At least I was TRYING for the inbred achievement lol.

Too funny. Drop all support now lol.

HA. Skynet is coming, but under its rules, humanity will be forced to marry their siblings and appoint horses to advise them through life.

I haven't seen it either - but again, it's entirely possible this happens a bit more frequently than we realize but don't actually think to look for it. Had I not done a semi-deep dive, I'd have never found it.

Ah...I see you've reached the game mechanic which we dare not speak of. And funnily enough, the reason why Dux can't have a sequel (unless I get really clever with metaphors and re-write everyone's romances...).

Okay...so...Geoffrey wants to bed his sister. Now, they way everything has happened and what's gone down before makes this seem both utterly out of the blue and also perhaps a little understandable considering how close Foulques and his son have come to madness before. Perhaps you can use the curse from many chapters ago to cover your ass here. Make him nuts and we don't have to think or read about all the implications of this little drama.
Otherwise...you are going to have to explain this one a bit more and there will be dire consequences for the family should this ever get out. As in, this will kill France dead and probably start a civil war at best.
Especially as she does not seem at all willing. If he tries to rape her on top of everything else wicked about this whole affair...the family will be burnt alive at the stake and at the court of public opinion. They'd have to...well, they'd have to run away, far away from the continent to survive. Is this going to be the thing that sets off Plantagenet England? Who says history is boring?

Wait... what happened in Dux? Now you've got to tell the tale to its conclusion! (And re-writes can happen... plans change after all)

Well the thing here is Agnes keeps it to herself. Geoffrey desires it, but I don't think he'd rape his sister. Whether he can eventually convince her... I have no idea. I don't think I'm going to write him as insane though. I think it's more interesting to have this as a potential powder keg, sitting in the background. A completely normal-looking and acting respected duke of the realm has a deep secret perversion and it's not the one that you might expect to bring one down at the time.

I've actually looked up the mallus penalty (out of curiosity) and they're harsh (though not as harsh as they should be) but... I'd be much more concerned about the inbred trait.

Geoffrey the seducer tho... so many possibilities.

Ooh AI, you are wicked! Though not so wicked that Agnes accepted the offer - she is no Cersei! That could have left you with a long and somewhat uncomfortable story arc, especially when Geoffrey becomes the player character! :eek::confused:

Very cleverly and well written scene earlier between Foulkes and Geoffrey too - those inter-generational tensions are nicely captured. As is the ability of Foulkes to put him off, no matter how much he tries to prepare himself against it. That shadow won’t pass until Foulkes himself is a shade - and even then you get the impression it will linger in Geoffrey’s mind and the situation he will find himself in.

I probably would have noticed before doing my deep dive had she accepted! She is no Cersei though, you are right about that (aside from previously having assisted in a murder?). It does have me thinking though about the future though. I really, really wish I didn't play so far ahead now. I have lots of save points though, so I might have to reconsider things at the end of Foulques' reign.

I'm glad you enjoyed the father-son scene. I thought it was going to be a nice reverse of Bordeaux, but yeah, Geoffrey is never going to be able to leave his father completely behind. He's going to want to prove himself better - and how he's perceived compared to him is going to matter to a man who enjoys reading histories.

And now you know why I wanted to smack Geoffrey upside the head when I was doing the research for his chapters a few weeks ago.

As mentioned above guys and gals, you all really do deserve an assist on the twist of this chapter. I had no idea it happened until the Geoffrey chapter was so heavily requested. I discovered it then - and that was my "ugh, Geoffrey, why???" commentary that I left you all with back then. I debated including it in the initial Geoffrey update, but since it happened in March 1101, and there was an event which worked as a reason for everyone to come together later, I decided to give it its own. And this update even spawned into a second chapter... just because I couldn't scrimp on this chapter.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't lift the lid of CK2 unless you are ready for what you might find. :D

The next chapter is actually about halfway done. So maybe a Sunday update? I have a general sense of where I need to end up, but I'm still working out the exact route to get there.

Once again, thanks for all your commentary and feedback. As I said, this chapter would not exist without it!

Reactions:
Wow. I didn't think you actually could use seduction focus on a close relative. You can seduce your sister but not your wife - right then. Brings me back to my initial reaction when landed-Geoffrey took seduction focus. Even with the new feature to control your landed children's marriages I try to avoid it. Whether they take hunting focus and get themselves killed, or the son who you've carefully inducted into the Hermetic society so that he doesn't end devil worshiping or a secret Lollard only to be burned at the stake by his wife. It just never seems to go well.

Makes for a good story, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, first, I'd like to say thank you, @JabberJock14. I've read all your 107 chapters in three days, the last one being posted 1 hour before I finally finished chapter 106. If I've taken that much time to read it all, that quickly, it means it was really entertaining.

Second, I'd like to say you I do not thank you, because I won't ever get back those three days ! Also you tempt me about writing, which from my small experience writing a M2TW AAR, would take me a lot of days more. :p

Third, I think the day you'll end all this, you should think about adapting it into a book, or a series of book. You'd have to cut some (it felt like an eternity to reach the end of only what you wrote here, and I say that as someone who like long books), maybe add some bits, revisit how you wrote a few things and repackage some others with more liberty from what happened in the game. But at the end, it could be worth it. By its nature, the serial AAR is less refined.

As an aside, well, it was disappointing to see the AI do such foolishness with Geoffrey. I mean, as a player it can be fun from time to time to do something weird, but manage that in an AAR... I say you good luck.

• 1Like
Reactions:
HA. Skynet is coming, but under its rules, humanity will be forced to marry their siblings and appoint horses to advise them through life.

If your Glitterhoof isn't the Immortal God-Pope of Mankind, you're doing it wrong. Neighus Vult!

Seriously though, landed children are the WORST children. My last misadventure with that happened when my son was betrothed to a princess that inherited, had kids, they both died, and my granddaughter, the Queen of Scotland for 27 #%&!^ YEARS at age 29, had every notable malus, was a branded apostate, demon worshipper, excommunicated... and then she inherited my lands... England, Ireland, Wales, and Brittany. Formed the Empire of Brittania and ruled for 37 years. Began the takedown of the Ummayads, vassalized the King of France... a truly glorious Empress if there ever was one. But it was touch and go when she inherited. Everyone hated her and I had to survive 3 successive revolts for this, that, and the other. Luckily, the retinues she inherited with the thrones of her father went a long way towards a bloody pacification of the Isles.

Long story short... sometimes their misadventures really turn out for the best :) He'll be fine. He just needs to get taken control of, and soon, before he pisses off the wrong AI ruler and winds up dead. Of course... Foulques the younger inheriting straight out wouldn't be a bad option either!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was an understatement. Laymen did not write books. Few lay people wrote at all - even if they could read. That was domain of monks and the clergy.
I do love how well you capture such historical tidbits. Adds such veracity to the story.

As for Geoffrey’s secret desire. And now your disgust at him is revealed. Funnily enough I think you telegraphed it subtly in her jibe to him earlier about if she wasn’t his sister she’d think he was trying to seduce her. That stomach clench thing didn’t go unnoticed haha

Very well written, as were the scenes with his wife and father-bravo all round really for a superbly crafted scene and reveal.

Reactions:
That took a turn I never would have thought of.

Looks like Marguerite is choosing the lesser of two evils and it may pay dividends to Geoffrey. I think once again Foulques and his pride and arrogance may come back to haunt him with Geoffrey especially if forcing Marguerite back to Geoffrey breeds an unholy alliance between the two.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait... what happened in Dux? Now you've got to tell the tale to its conclusion! (And re-writes can happen... plans change after all)

Well I finished the game play through for Cosma (and it was wonderful, complex, heartbreaking and wonderful. Never had a playthrkug like it) and decided that it might be good to plan and see what happens next, to foreshadow in the story itself (because in the game I had the advantage of it being very clear who I wanted to be the heir and could chose, since it was a republic). Then I thought that if Little Dux is a triumphant medieval play about the great and the good, dealt toward appearances and internal struggles, do achieve and win all they wished for...perhaps next the sequel should be a renaissance tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

Unforutnaly, pushing the game to go as dark as it can go...makes it very very dark indeed. We're talking rape, pillaging, the betrayal and collapse of republics, racism, sexism, religious purging, incest, eugenics, devil worshipping and genocide.

The Doge also went mad pretty early on and I can't say I blame him. CKII is a harsh mistress and that's with the prayer trying to save everyone. If the player is actively trying to turn the world to shit, it will so turn. And it looks like your court and vassals actually take their lead from you, because all of the men suddenly went beserk as well...
Honestly it'd be like the darkest of Marlowe's plays combined with nineties gore and violence and the new ten's R rated maturity. It wouldn't be a challenge, it would be almost impossible to write with the forum rules as they are. Ironically, I think that game was one of the most realistically medieval ones I've ever played because everything that's happened, happened in real life too, it was just either better hidden or history was rewritten. So maybe I should write it. But it would be difficult.

This is why I wasn't so disturbed by the lonely brother trying to find some emotional comforts from his sister. I've seen far worse.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I should also say - I really liked the way you telegraphed what was going to happen in that first scene. It means the reader is somewhat prepared, puts the idea in mind and gives it a chance to stew before it actually happens.

On Marguerite - I assume you've had her under house arrest? Does that mean you can keep her that way and then if any of the rebellions in her name succeed you could then declare on her for Geoffrey's claim and have instant 100 warscore?

Anyway, lots brewing right now and I am enjoying seeing how it plays out. Personally I love the pace of this AAR. I think it works in part because your impressively fast release schedule. That the story and writing doesn't and gives us plenty of time with the characters is a big part of why I enjoy it so much, I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
On Marguerite - I assume you've had her under house arrest? Does that mean you can keep her that way and then if any of the rebellions in her name succeed you could then declare on her for Geoffrey's claim and have instant 100 warscore?

There's been a known bug lately (I believe it came with the Jade Dragon free patch) that when a courtier is married and has kids, when they became landed their families would not switch courts with them. So if her rebellion would succeed, she would move to her new court. She is sadly not imprisoned if I understand the story thus far.

Pretty sure they patched that bug in the meantime, but Jabber's quite a bit of time ahead of the story.

Edit: The bug fix is in the 2.8.1 changelog.

Last edited:
Reactions:
why not going GRRM? after all, Joffrey is a common name in France... and in Westeros hehehehe

• 1Like
Reactions:
The only further thing I have to add to the Geoffrey-Agnes... relationship issue is this: What would Foulques think if he were to find out? ;) As low as he's sunk, I don't think he's ever seriously contemplated anything quite like what his son has just proposed.

I do have to concur with a few of the other comments expressed here -- it seems like Geoffrey is slowly becoming more and more like his father, particularly in the aspects he despises most about him. Perhaps another side-effect of the Curse of the Devil's Brood?

EDIT: Another thought on Geoffrey and Agnes: In a way, Geoffrey is at least half right about one thing -- the seed is indeed planted in Agnes's mind. Try as she might, this is one genie they cannot put back in the bottle, and Geoffrey's unfilial desires will from here onward color their relationship even if they never overtly come up again. Whether they bear the sweet fruit he desires or something entirely too bitter is another matter altogether.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wow. I didn't think you actually could use seduction focus on a close relative. You can seduce your sister but not your wife - right then. Brings me back to my initial reaction when landed-Geoffrey took seduction focus. Even with the new feature to control your landed children's marriages I try to avoid it. Whether they take hunting focus and get themselves killed, or the son who you've carefully inducted into the Hermetic society so that he doesn't end devil worshiping or a secret Lollard only to be burned at the stake by his wife. It just never seems to go well.

Makes for a good story, though.

I don't know the parameters with close relatives. In a 769-1453 game I did in Latvia, I had one ruler who had an event as a teen where he dreamed of seducing his sister. He got the option of doing it, but she rejected him. I haven't really tried it beyond that. But AI Geoffrey tried it... so it's clearly possible between those two. And yeah CK2 logic, it'd be so nice if you could seduce your wife - but I guess it's for balance. Having a lover increases the odds of children so they probably thought seduction would be insanely overpowered in that case.

Thankfully I don't have Monks and Mystics. :D Controlling marriages is... well it's meh from what I've experimented with thus far. You don't get the full range of options you would if they lived with you, which is insane in some cases. An heir to a duchy with no current lands is more desirable than an heir to the same duchy with actual counties? (I think the algorithm takes your rank into account when your kids are in your county but their rank only when they rule) But yeah, those kids are trouble makers. One reason I hesitate to land children, but I suspect I'll do it a bit more in this AAR.

Well, first, I'd like to say thank you, @JabberJock14. I've read all your 107 chapters in three days, the last one being posted 1 hour before I finally finished chapter 106. If I've taken that much time to read it all, that quickly, it means it was really entertaining.

Second, I'd like to say you I do not thank you, because I won't ever get back those three days ! Also you tempt me about writing, which from my small experience writing a M2TW AAR, would take me a lot of days more. :p

Third, I think the day you'll end all this, you should think about adapting it into a book, or a series of book. You'd have to cut some (it felt like an eternity to reach the end of only what you wrote here, and I say that as someone who like long books), maybe add some bits, revisit how you wrote a few things and repackage some others with more liberty from what happened in the game. But at the end, it could be worth it. By its nature, the serial AAR is less refined.

As an aside, well, it was disappointing to see the AI do such foolishness with Geoffrey. I mean, as a player it can be fun from time to time to do something weird, but manage that in an AAR... I say you good luck.

Thank you for that level of interest and dedication, along with your kind words! Sorry about the three days, but at least you enjoyed your time reading it? :) And I hope to inspire more writing - it's what @coz1 did with his Rightful King AAR to get me to start this one. So keep the cycle going, as it were. This would be easier than M2TW from a character perspective, I'd imagine. (Especially trying to justify why no one in your family is getting married after a certain point - I hated that bug)

As for your third point, my wife says the same thing. I don't quite know how I'd go about doing it but it may be something to think on.

The good news about Geoffrey's foolishness is that he did not succeed. The bad news about Geoffrey's behavior is that it is making me reconsider his character and how I have to write him going forward.

If your Glitterhoof isn't the Immortal God-Pope of Mankind, you're doing it wrong. Neighus Vult!

Seriously though, landed children are the WORST children. My last misadventure with that happened when my son was betrothed to a princess that inherited, had kids, they both died, and my granddaughter, the Queen of Scotland for 27 #%&!^ YEARS at age 29, had every notable malus, was a branded apostate, demon worshipper, excommunicated... and then she inherited my lands... England, Ireland, Wales, and Brittany. Formed the Empire of Brittania and ruled for 37 years. Began the takedown of the Ummayads, vassalized the King of France... a truly glorious Empress if there ever was one. But it was touch and go when she inherited. Everyone hated her and I had to survive 3 successive revolts for this, that, and the other. Luckily, the retinues she inherited with the thrones of her father went a long way towards a bloody pacification of the Isles.

Long story short... sometimes their misadventures really turn out for the best :) He'll be fine. He just needs to get taken control of, and soon, before he pisses off the wrong AI ruler and winds up dead. Of course... Foulques the younger inheriting straight out wouldn't be a bad option either!

As long as Glitterhoof doesn't become puppet-Emperor of Earth. :)

Landed children are always potential disasters. I remember having a race against time in games if my heir was married to a landed woman and then only had daughters. And then knowing that the daughters would end up stuck in his wife's court no matter what - the fear of the non-matralineal marriage was real. That's of course, not an issue in this AAR since they're turned off.

At least yours still ended up becoming the Empress of the Isles though and it probably made for a fun ride through. My fear with Geoffrey was that he ended up with the Great Pox. I actually wasn't too concerned if he ended up dead - while I liked him, the real Geoffrey did not outlive his father (the Plantagenet line came from his half-brother, Foulques V) so if it played out historically with Geoffrey dying in 1106 or so, I was cool with it. But the Pox... I'm not sure how I'd write a completely mad character!

I do love how well you capture such historical tidbits. Adds such veracity to the story.

As for Geoffrey’s secret desire. And now your disgust at him is revealed. Funnily enough I think you telegraphed it subtly in her jibe to him earlier about if she wasn’t his sister she’d think he was trying to seduce her. That stomach clench thing didn’t go unnoticed haha

Very well written, as were the scenes with his wife and father-bravo all round really for a superbly crafted scene and reveal.

I'm paranoid about putting something really bad in there that's completely a historic. I know there are times I fail at this, but having appreciation there for when I do get it right is nice! So thanks!

I did try to throw in a few hints in the chapter as to what was coming. Things that, like Agnes, would go unnoticed until you look back after seeing the conclusion. I wanted it to be shocking and yet not completely feel like it come from nowhere.

So thank you again! Hopefully I can impress again with scenes between Geoffrey and the three again, for the conclusion features each getting at least one with him.

That took a turn I never would have thought of.

Looks like Marguerite is choosing the lesser of two evils and it may pay dividends to Geoffrey. I think once again Foulques and his pride and arrogance may come back to haunt him with Geoffrey especially if forcing Marguerite back to Geoffrey breeds an unholy alliance between the two.

Glad it was shocking! I was surprised too when I saw that modifier on Agnes.

It would pay dividends if Geoffrey acquiesced. But I didn't want to write Geoffrey like a CK2 player. He's in the thick of it and has obviously never gotten over Marguerite's betrayal - something you'l see in the next chapter. Can he overcome those feelings?

And Foulques has his reasons for doing as he does. He sees himself in a stronger position than he was months before in Bordeaux - you can decide if his rationale is solid or not when he reveals it in the next chapter.

Well I finished the game play through for Cosma (and it was wonderful, complex, heartbreaking and wonderful. Never had a playthrkug like it) and decided that it might be good to plan and see what happens next, to foreshadow in the story itself (because in the game I had the advantage of it being very clear who I wanted to be the heir and could chose, since it was a republic). Then I thought that if Little Dux is a triumphant medieval play about the great and the good, dealt toward appearances and internal struggles, do achieve and win all they wished for...perhaps next the sequel should be a renaissance tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

Unforutnaly, pushing the game to go as dark as it can go...makes it very very dark indeed. We're talking rape, pillaging, the betrayal and collapse of republics, racism, sexism, religious purging, incest, eugenics, devil worshipping and genocide.

The Doge also went mad pretty early on and I can't say I blame him. CKII is a harsh mistress and that's with the prayer trying to save everyone. If the player is actively trying to turn the world to shit, it will so turn. And it looks like your court and vassals actually take their lead from you, because all of the men suddenly went beserk as well...
Honestly it'd be like the darkest of Marlowe's plays combined with nineties gore and violence and the new ten's R rated maturity. It wouldn't be a challenge, it would be almost impossible to write with the forum rules as they are. Ironically, I think that game was one of the most realistically medieval ones I've ever played because everything that's happened, happened in real life too, it was just either better hidden or history was rewritten. So maybe I should write it. But it would be difficult.

This is why I wasn't so disturbed by the lonely brother trying to find some emotional comforts from his sister. I've seen far worse.

Ha. Yeah, from what you describe that seems like it is far worse. Though CK2... I mean the game does crazy stuff on it's own. As bad as Geoffrey was, King Malcolm of Scotland eating his pregnant daughter in law... that might be the sickest thing I've seen in a game and it was completely an AI thing. I have no idea how I'd write that PG-13 besides giving it that passing mention I did.

I think it can be an interesting test though. I've toned down language and graphic descriptions in this because I'm not 100% sure what is permitted. (I've definitely seen cursing in other AARs and some more graphic sexual descriptions than what is featured here) PG-13-ing CK2 is a challenge, but... in some cases it can be done. How to escape from the overall dark tone so it isn't difficult to read... that might be harder.

I should also say - I really liked the way you telegraphed what was going to happen in that first scene. It means the reader is somewhat prepared, puts the idea in mind and gives it a chance to stew before it actually happens.

Anyway, lots brewing right now and I am enjoying seeing how it plays out. Personally I love the pace of this AAR. I think it works in part because your impressively fast release schedule. That the story and writing doesn't and gives us plenty of time with the characters is a big part of why I enjoy it so much, I think.

Thanks for also saying! As noted above, I was going for that. I didn't want to make it too obvious, but also make it clear on second reading (if anyone wished to read a second time) that Geoffrey was already desiring his sister, even if he didn't consciously admit it until later.

No, she is not under actual arrest. (I'd incur a tyrant penalty for that, since technically she acted dishonorably toward Geoffrey, not Foulques) I just write it as she's basically on lock down. She's watched at all times and has limited interaction with others. Also, as will be noted in the next chapter, she's kind of shunned at this point. She's pissed off both Foulques and Geoffrey - the current and future rulers of Anjou. And should something happen to Foulques/Geoffrey, Agnes is regent, who also does not get along with her. So it's just a natural isolation, which can be just as cruel, if not even more so emotionally. That also plays into Marguerite's willingness at the end of this chapter - it's human contact!

And thanks for the feedback on pace. I intended this bit to slow things down but these chapters have drawn on more than I expected as I've tried to give these characters and their important events the proper respect they deserve. The chapter that I plan which follows the next one is probably the worst of it... but I think a bit of clean up from this two-parter is necessary, plus it also covers a significant event in one prominent character's life. We'll see if you agree when it comes.

There's been a known bug lately (I believe it came with the Jade Dragon free patch) that when a courtier is married and has kids, when they became landed their families would not switch courts with them. So if her rebellion would succeed, she would move to her new court. She is sadly not imprisoned if I understand the story thus far.

Pretty sure they patched that bug in the meantime, but Jabber's quite a bit of time ahead of the story.

Edit: The bug fix is in the 2.8.1 changelog.

If it's a bug, then it definitely came well before Jade Dragon, because in terms of when it happened in real life, I played through Geoffrey gaining Aquitaine months ago. But since I'm well past the events, and will use my current save files until at least until Foulques' death, that bug is not going anywhere. But at least it provided some drama to write around - which continues in the next chapter.

And you are correct, she is not actually imprisoned.

why not going GRRM? after all, Joffrey is a common name in France... and in Westeros hehehehe

I don't know that Agnes and Geoffrey quite match Cersei and Jamie. Geoffrey has yet to kill a king, after all! But the future... the future who knows? Actually looking into AI Geoffrey's doings and writing him is making me reconsider things quite a bit.

The only further thing I have to add to the Geoffrey-Agnes... relationship issue is this: What would Foulques think if he were to find out? ;) As low as he's sunk, I don't think he's ever seriously contemplated anything quite like what his son has just proposed.

I do have to concur with a few of the other comments expressed here -- it seems like Geoffrey is slowly becoming more and more like his father, particularly in the aspects he despises most about him. Perhaps another side-effect of the Curse of the Devil's Brood?

EDIT: Another thought on Geoffrey and Agnes: In a way, Geoffrey is at least half right about one thing -- the seed is indeed planted in Agnes's mind. Try as she might, this is one genie they cannot put back in the bottle, and Geoffrey's unfilial desires will from here onward color their relationship even if they never overtly come up again. Whether they bear the sweet fruit he desires or something entirely too bitter is another matter altogether.

Foulques would lose his mind. They both know that. And neither wants to risk being the one who takes the majority of the blame. Agnes' threat worked even a drunken Geoffrey because he knows everything gets torched if Foulques finds out. And no, he hasn't not quite reached those lows. His only opportunity would have been Aureade, but no, didn't go down that road.

Geoffrey's behavior (incest desires non-withstanding) are not shocking because whether or not he likes his father, the bottom line is he still was raised by him - personally - Foulques was his guardian. They disagree with methods more than anything else. But... are their overall wants and desires really any different? I'd lean toward no. And that will lead him to doing things his father would do, even if he chooses a different route there.

And yes, that seed is planted. It's going to be something that lingers over this next chapter and the one that follows. And beyond, I'd imagine.

Great comments as always guys and gals! The next chapter goes up in a few moments. It is the second part of this little Geoffrey arc. And as you'd expect, things raised last chapter aren't quite going away just yet. Hopefully, you enjoy this next bit.

And if it reads better - thank @Asantahene who pointed out my typos a few updates ago. The result had me reading aloud both the last chapter and this one. I think it's improved as a result, but you all are the real judges...

Reactions:
Chapter 108 - March 1101
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 108
March 1101 - Anjou, France

Geoffrey awoke to a pounding headache.

The room was, thankfully, dimly lit as he came to in an unfamiliar bed. A rub of his temples later, he looked down to see he was shirtless. And wearing nothing below either. And alone in the bed.

His memories were somewhat hazy. He remembered… his attempt to convince Agnes to join him. But he also remembered his failure there.

Then he recalled where he went to relieve his frustration - and finally spied Marguerite sitting at a small table not far from the bed.

She sipped from a cup, a linen sheet acting as a makeshift dress. Upon their eyes locking, she raised her brow.

“You awaken husband,” she said. “Did you have sweet dreams of my sister?”

“Your sister?”

“Yes, you called her name the second time we coupled last night,” Marguerite replied.

Geoffrey squinted as he tried to remember. Ness? He called her name?

His eyes widened. No, not that Agnes…

“My apologies,” he said. Geoffrey immediately regretted saying that. It was not as if Marguerite deserved it in his mind, after all she had done.

He looked to his wife, who appeared she had something to say. Though she refrained, he could not sate his curiosity.

“What is it?” he demanded.

“I would prefer not to say,” she replied.

“Out with it,” he ordered.

“You recently acknowledge a bastard,” Marguerite began. “And you fantasize about laying with yet another woman who is not your wife. One who is bedded by your father in fact. That is… something.”

“Something you should not speak of,” Geoffrey replied. “Given your sordid history.”

“I agree,” Marguerite replied. “Which is why I would have said nothing of it - had you not insisted otherwise.”

“For a woman who claims to wish her way back into my good graces to return with me to Aquitaine, you do yourself no favors,” Geoffrey said.

“I do not know that it will make a difference,” Marguerite said. “You will accept me in your bed if you find nothing else better. You can feign politeness for a few minutes when speaking to me before you grow frustrated. Is that enough?”

“I have no idea what you seek,” Geoffrey told her. “You wish to escape here because of my father.”

“A compelling reason, I would think,” Marguerite said. “One you would understand.”

“Is that all?” Geoffrey asked.

“Confinement? I see our children but a few times in a week, and our son less and less,” Marguerite said. “I am lonely - and subject to your father’s whims. You know he once nearly forced himself upon me.”

“Truly?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes,” Marguerite said. “He told me at least he would know the blood of any child sired.”

Geoffrey closed his eyes. The unpleasant image came to mind.

“How did you stop him?” Geoffrey asked.

“I reminded him I would not be silent on the matter,” she said. “And it would embarrass him, and you.”

Geoffrey looked down. “I hate him.”

“Something we share,” Marguerite said.

“But what I do not know is whether you share a similar hatred toward me,” Geoffrey noted.

Marguerite frowned before standing up and grabbing two cups - hers and another. She climbed back into bed, underneath the linens beside him and handed him a cup.

“Water?” he asked.

“It will help with your headache, husband,” she replied.

He sipped it, unable to completely shed his mistrust.

“No, I do not hate you,” she said. “I am frustrated by you, but I do not hate you.”

“Frustrated?” Geoffrey asked. “You, who have betrayed me?”

“I did not say I could not understand why you have done what you have done,” Marguerite said. “I just cannot help but feel this way.”

“The feeling is mutual,” Geoffrey replied.

“And yet we cannot escape each other,” she noted. “If you could have an annulment, you would have it. So what are we to do?”

To that Geoffrey had no answer. He did not want to be with her. But he did not know if he could ever be rid of her, either. When his father died - he would return to Anjou. She would be there. What then? Send her away? Doing so would risk angering the church - and make him an easy target. A target that others would aim for, given how powerful he would be.

Perhaps he had no other option but to, at least on the surface, reconcile. And if that was the case, why wait, when he could have his son returned to him in the process?

Still he could commit to nothing. Not now. Not while he had negotiations with his father to deal with.

“We will see,” Geoffrey said.

She wrapped her arms around him. “If it helps, was it not nice to enjoy the company of another without feeling guilt, for once?”

Geoffrey chuckled. I called for my sister…

“Yes,” he replied.
…..

Geoffrey did not know why he brought Alias to Anjou.

His chancellor would take part in no talks or negotiations. Neither did his father’s chancellor, Godfrey. It was always going to be Geoffrey and his father. Alone. Matching wits. Or trying to get the other to back down.

So they stood, across from other another in Foulques’ strategy room - one on each side of the table on which the map of the realm sat.

Geoffrey’s holdings in Aquitaine looked so small compared to his father’s. He held but one county and a barony - while Foulques held territory from Tours to Vannes.

It will all be mine one day, he told himself. A scant consolation at the moment though.

He pointed to Poitou and then met his father’s gaze. “You wished for direct intervention. Now I wish to take it.”

“I wished for direct intervention months ago,” Foulques said. “You insisted your way would allow victory without any Angevin blood spilled. And now you insist on spilling Angevin blood.”

“I did not anticipate a rebellion for my wife, who sits locked away in this keep,” Geoffrey said.

“The duchy is in chaos,” Foulques said. “All the counts seek to increase their stature. What better way than using someone who would be completely reliant upon them if installed?”

Geoffrey remembered that is what his father had warned him about in Aquitaine years before. “You take another shot at me?”

“No,” Foulques said. “It is clear you were not reliant on Alias. For one, he is dead. And two, we both know you always planned to be reliant on me.”

“I do not wish to be reliant on anyone,” Geoffrey insisted.

“And yet, here we are,” Foulques replied.

“Do you wish for me to beg for your assistance?” Geoffrey asked. “Is this about humbling myself before you?”

“It is about how difficult you make things,” Foulques said. “As I have said before.”

“You acting as a shield for me?” Geoffrey questioned.

Foulques nodded. “There is quite a bit of support for at least the rebellion for your wife in Poitou among the dukes of the realm. They would prefer Marguerite to be duchess over you duke.”

“We will be duke and duchess regardless,” Geoffrey noted.

Foulques smirked. “Your attempts to play with words are undermined by your own actions. If there is no difference, why are you here, begging for my aid?”

“Sometimes I question it myself,” Geoffrey replied. “You do not seem interested in helping me, even though it ultimately helps House d’Anjou.”

Foulques chuckled. “From where I stand, House d’Anjou is helped either way.”

“Marguerite becoming Duchess in Poitou and Gascony helps us?” Geoffrey asked. “I fail to see how a woman who despises us ascending aids us.”

“Because Marguerite shall be a figurehead,” Foulques said. “The real power is in your son. Your son who remains here. Or with you. The way I see it, young Foulques’ path toward becoming Duke of Poitou and, in time, Gascony is clear no matter the result.”

“But we do not know how she will try to subvert us in the meantime!” Geoffrey pleaded.

“I do not think she will act against her son,” Foulques replied. “If there is one thing she seems to care for, it is your children.”

Child,” Geoffrey corrected. “The girl is not mine.”

“So you say,” Foulques said.

“So everyone knows!” Geoffrey exclaimed.

“Regardless,” Foulques continued, “The boy will be well-positioned no matter what. And this will lessen the pressure upon us from outside. They plot against us, you know. The Duke of Orleans schemes to gain claim on Vendome.”

1101_Duke_Orleans_fabricate_on_Vendome.jpg

“You jest,” Geoffrey said.

“I do not,” Foulques replied. “He gains support…”

“No, you jest in that it is an actual concern,” Geoffrey replied. “Orleans is the weakest duke in the realm aside from my cousin Gilles, and that is only because Gilles has lost his rebellion.”

Geoffrey shook his head.

“You search for any excuse,” he said. “Why?”

“I will not be used for your own ends,” Foulques said. “Do what you wish with your levy. But your hands will remain off mine. They may be yours one day. But they are not yet.”

Geoffrey lowered his head and looked toward the map. He could feel the anger building and with it something else - despair? Fear?

Did he dare risk himself directly by declaring against Patricia openly? All of his plans had involved someone else taking the majority of risk in his stead. This is the first time he would be called upon into action… to lead troops. To put himself into harm’s way…

“Is there nothing I say that can get you to see reason?” he asked.

“Reason?” Foulques asked. He scowled and met Geoffrey’s gaze. “Win your duchy yourself.”

And with that Foulques pushed himself off the table and left the strategy hall. Geoffrey watched him go and after the door closed, slapped hard at the map, dislodging some of the pins.

The smug satisfaction he received at ruining the perfection of the map was fleeting. It did not gain him his father’s levy. It did not change his situation with Marguerite. It did nothing.

Geoffrey could only sigh.
….

Be better than this.

His conscience was again acting up. He knew this was wrong. But he could not see any other way around it. Someone was to suffer. And it was better her than him.

The day following the meeting with his father had been frustrating. He had tried to see Agnes, but she refused him. He was a little surprised - both that she was so adamant in her decision and how much it stung him. He did not want to go away from Anjou without seeing her again - even if he gained nothing but a memory to take with him.

It was somewhat concerning too that he may have damaged his goodwill with her - he might have lost someone to advocate for him to his father. But then again, it was unlikely he could count on anyone to change his father’s mind.

The other thing he had done was something he did not wish to do, but felt it required - he visited his wife’s bastard, whom she had the audacity to same Aubry. He did it to see how the boy looked so that he might get a better idea of whether Beatritz was in fact, his own daughter. And he got the answer he needed.

The girl was with her mother when he arrived at Marguerite’s chambers. Another look at her… a nose like her bastard brother. Brow, lips… there was no doubt.

And it infuriated him.

“You wish to speak with me, husband?” Marguerite asked.

Geoffrey looked squarely at Beatritz. “Go. Your mother and I have to speak on something.”

His face must have been showing anger, because the girl retreated first to her mother, and gripped her hand tightly. Marguerite eased her by rubbing her back before kneeling to get closer to eye level.

“Go find Margot,” Marguerite instructed. “You can have her bring you back here in a bit.”

Beatritz nodded and slowly walked to the door. She peeked a look at Geoffrey and quickened her pace.

“You send her to Aubry’s sister,” Geoffrey noted. “Curious.”

Marguerite shook her head. “She is one of the few in this keep who do not treat me like a leper. I am grateful for anyone who is kind to me.”

He did not believe her.

“I have come to a decision,” Geoffrey said. “On whether you will come with me back to Aquitaine.”

“And what have you decided?” she asked.

“You may come,” Geoffrey said. “On two conditions. The first - you must denounce the rebellion in your name in Poitou, and say you recognize my claim as the rightful one.”

Marguerite nodded. “It shall be done. What is the second demand?”

“Your daughter stays behind,” Geoffrey said.

Her eyes widened. “You would abandon our daughter here, without her parents?”

“She is not our daughter!” Geoffrey exclaimed. “She is Aubry’s bastard, just as your first child is.”

“You know not what you speak of,” Marguerite insisted.

“I know all too well,” Geoffrey replied. “I looked at the boy yesterday. And I can the resemblance clear as day. She looks far more like him than to the young Foulques, my son.”

“You believe this lie so you will see what you wish,” Marguerite told him. “Beatritz is your daughter.”

“Do not call her by that name in my presence!” Geoffrey shouted. “It is bad enough you became pregnant with a child that is not mine, but then you have the audacity to name her after my mother!”

Marguerite narrowed her gaze. “What do you want?”

“I told you what I want,” Geoffrey said. “Her to remain here. If she does, you can leave this keep and take your proper role as my wife, Duchess of Aquitaine, and in time, Poitou. Perhaps even Gascony, if you prove trustworthy.”

Marguerite shook her head while glaring at him. “You are a monster. No different than your father!”

“If I were a monster like him you would not be speaking,” Geoffrey said. “You would be on the ground, a bloodied mess for lying to me over and over again. The entire court knows the child is not mine. You are the only one to insist differently.”

Marguerite’s lips trembled as her face reddened. Tears began to well in her eyes.

“She may not be yours,” she managed to get out. “I did lay with Aubry around when she formed in my belly. But I laid with you as well.”

“After your blood had stopped,” Geoffrey said.

She lowered her eyes. “That does not mean you are not---”

“LIAR!” Geoffrey exclaimed.

“You will not believe anything else…” she muttered.

“Even now you cling to it,” Geoffrey said.

“I don’t want her to pay for my mistake!” Marguerite shouted, the tears flowing down her cheeks. “You think your father will treat her well here? Her brother and I are all she has! If we leave her…”

“Tell her aunts to take care of her,” Geoffrey said. “They treat you better than you deserve anyway.”

“You do not wish for me to come with you,” Marguerite said. “That much is clear. You just make a request I cannot follow to make yourself feel better. And to hurt me.”

“As you did to me,” Geoffrey said. “Repeatedly.”

“So now, you would place our son in the middle of this battle between us,” Marguerite said. “Leave him to the care of the father you despise to get back at me.”

“I know my father thinks highly of my son,” Geoffrey said. “And if he remains in Anjou, his aunt will look after him as well. I am about to go to war - he will end up solely in your care during that time. Perhaps…”

Geoffrey looked away. “It is best if he remains here.”

Marguerite shook her head. Her eyes were bloodshot now from the tears, which still streamed. “Go then. Know that you have hurt me, if that is what is what you wanted above all else. But when your son thinks as little of you as your father does, I hope you find it was all worth it.”

It was a blow… that Geoffrey did not expect to land as hard as it did. It sent a chill down his spine… he wished to be angry… but he also suspected she might be right.

One of them is going to get what they want. Either I back down and let the bastard come, or I risk my son being raised to think I am a weak, scheming fool.

And as Geoffrey left the room, he made his decision.

It would be his father who won.
……

“How are we looking Alias?” he asked his chancellor a few hours later.

“The preparations are nearly complete, my lord,” Alias replied. “We should be ready to depart shortly.”

Geoffrey nodded. The sooner they were out of Anjou the better.

This trip had been all but complete disaster. His father refused to back him in Poitou. His son would remain here. He and his wife hated each other more than ever before. And he had potentially ruined his relationship with the one person he cared about.

The only way it could have been worse was if Foulques had decided to back one of the Poitou sisters claim over his… which he indirectly was doing with Marguerite anyway.

Yes, a total disaster.

Footsteps approaching caused him to turn. He saw it was Alearde.

Her smile did still warm his heart, though he knew that was a dream that would never be realized. Her touch was such that even now it would still give him goosebumps.

“Lord Geoffrey,” she said. “The Lady Agnes would like to speak with you before you depart. In private.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. In private? Could she…

He quickly put it from his mind as Alearde led him to Agnes’ chambers. Such thoughts would lead to disappointment.

Alearde announced him when he arrived and Agnes thanked her. The door closed behind him.

His sister was dressed in simple clothing with a cloak around her shoulders, covering her chest completely. Today, she had chosen to wear a coif as well, which covered her hair completely with nothing but a few bangs slipping out. She did not greet him with a hug, choosing to remain across the room from him.

“I am pleased you would see me,” Geoffrey said. “I was concerned the other night had ruined things between us.”

Agnes sighed. “You remain my brother, Geoffrey. I would not shun you, not for stating your desire, as wrong as it is. If you tried to force yourself upon me… then…”

“I would never,” Geoffrey swore. “It would cheapen the moment for it to not be mutual.”

Agnes closed her eyes and seemed to shudder. “Put it out of your mind. Forever.”

“Why did you wish to see me?” Geoffrey wondered. “If not for that…”

“Because I wished you to know that I still care for you, and will continue to fight on your behalf,” she said. “That I will speak to father and urge him to assist you should you go to war in Poitou…”

She paused for a moment before taking a few steps toward him. “Do you go to war in Poitou?”

“I plan to, yes,” Geoffrey said.

Agnes frowned and rushed forward. He caught hold of her and she squeezed him enough to force the air from his lungs.

When she released her grip, it was only to touch a hand to his cheek. She had tears in her eyes.

“My sweet little brother,” she said. “Please, please take care.”

“Do you worry as much over father?” Geoffrey asked as he pulled her close.

“Father lives for war,” Agnes said. “You do not. I think you capable, but I worry nonetheless.”

“I will be fine sister,” he said.

Her scent was intoxicating. Flowers? She must have just come from a bath.

Part of him did wonder if perhaps the alcohol had influenced his desires with her. But he had none now, and his urges to throw her onto her bed were as strong, if not stronger, than before.

He realized his body was signaling it quite clearly. But if Agnes noticed, she did not let on.

“You must take care,” she said. “You will be Duke of Anjou. I do not wish to be regent for my nephew. He is a good boy, but… he will need your guidance too.”

“I would not trust anyone to lead at his side more than you,” Geoffrey told her. “But worry not. I do not go to war to seek glory. I do it to claim what is rightfully mine. What is rightfully ours, through mother. And I intend to rule it, once I have won it.”

“I will hold you to that,” Agnes said.

They gave each other one more gaze. Unable to resist, Geoffrey leaned in. Agnes leaned… out of the way, and Geoffrey’s lips met her palm. He embraced it regardless.

“No,” she whispered. “Do not make this goodbye any more… difficult... than it needs to be.”

“Difficult?” Geoffrey asked. “So you do---”

“No,” Agnes said. “I do not. But I do not wish for you to leave here on poor terms with me. For I do not know when I will see you again.”

Geoffrey sighed. “As you wish, dear sister.”

He bowed before her. She did the same toward him.

He turned to leave though he heard her voice once more as he opened the door.

“I mean it! You keep yourself safe!” she shouted.

A small smile came to his lips. It still feels good that she cares so much.

1101_Geoffrey_declares_for_Poitou.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I have to say I admire your patience and willingness to "slow roll" those claims, I'd have been licking my chops at having 5 duchies within 2 generations. And nearly constantly at war.

Regardless, things are working out well for Geoffrey despite your lack of intervention on his behalf.

Interesting that the bug hit before JD, that was the first time I can recall it hitting me. No matter!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ha. Yeah, from what you describe that seems like it is far worse. Though CK2... I mean the game does crazy stuff on it's own. As bad as Geoffrey was, King Malcolm of Scotland eating his pregnant daughter in law... that might be the sickest thing I've seen in a game and it was completely an AI thing. I have no idea how I'd write that PG-13 besides giving it that passing mention I did.

It is so effortlessly easy to be cruel in the game that the AI manages it all the time. It is Childs play to seduce anyone with the seduction perk. Anyone who isn't celibate will probably at the very least sleep with you. Never heard about the Scottish king eating his pregnant daughter though, was that in game? That's probably the most extreme thing I've heard of.

And Geoffrey here is a little cowardly I think. I can see why others think so of him, including his daddy. The man will not fight his own battles. Ever. Now this is clever for conserving forces and so on but to put down a small rebellion is not hard in this game and it makes him look ridiculous that he begs for troops to do even this for him. I think he needs to learn to use his own forces. Otherwise he'll still keep the conservative mind-set when he's master of five duchies and half of France...and then where will he be?

Reactions:
Same thing over here , you're making me suspect I am a bit like Foulques, if there's no war in 5 years I just go and make one, Germanic penalties fear me ;)

As for the chapters, amazing work as always you truly never fail to deliver, seems like King Adam's curse could come out in more than one way...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Never heard about the Scottish king eating his pregnant daughter though, was that in game? That's probably the most extreme thing I've heard of.

After you close the gates during an epidemic, after a while you'll start getting events relating to food rationing as supplies run low. One of the possible events that can fire involves one of your courtiers being caught sneaking extra food out of the larder. If I recall correctly, you have the option of letting it slide, exiling them from the castle, or eating them as payback ("Looks like meat's back on the menu!"). I strongly suspect that's likely what happened there.

I do have to second TheButterflyComposer's comments. Geoffrey's commitment to solving his problems with guile rather than force is admirable in and of itself, but sometimes it almost seems like he recoils from force even when it's a perfectly reasonable option.

And forcing a mother to choose between her own happiness and her child's well-being like that... I can understand Geoffrey's motivations, but manipulating Marguerite like that is still an incredibly mean-spirited thing to do.

• 1Like
Reactions: