• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This AAR has some really wonderful writing and character development, @JabberJock14. I've lurked here for a few weeks and am all caught up now. Every new installment is a treat.

It is a shame Foulkes could not take the John of Gaunt approach. Marry the long-suffering mistress that he was clearly in love with, legitimise the new offspring, but don't put them in the line of succession ― just like the Beauforts. [I haven't played a lot of CKII, but I think once a bastard is legitimised, they can inherit, so emulating the real-life solution is not possible.]

I understand why Aléarde was a less compelling match (game-wise) than Aines, but... yeah. That all went pear-shaped very quickly.

His Grace could have had "happily ever after", and got a starring role in a Greek tragedy instead.

Welcome aboard and thanks for that compliment!

It really was a debate. I like Alearde. From a CK2 perspective, she has good stats and is quick. But Aines is basically the prize marriage option of 1066 France because of Aquitaine. She has the potential to be an early Eleanor. Even if she had been married, she did not have any sons at the point I began the plan. That won out here, which was a mistake for all involved. And now it has devolved into a tragedy, as you say.

A rate moment of introspection from Duke Foulques, and a tantalizing look at what might have been.

For all his flaws -- which I and others have gone over at length before -- I think that, deep down, Foulques is someone who wants to do the right thing, even if he has trouble recognizing what that is at times. The fact that he can feel remorse at all is one of the reasons I still have a slight measure of sympathy for the man, despite everything else.

You have a good read on him. He's certainly capable of feeling remorse and does feel it. The ultimate problem with him though is that he often fails to learn how to avoid feeling remorse in the future. We'll see if this time he at least maintains a measure of understanding as to how he got here.

For so long I was suspicious of Mauguerite, wondering how she would take her revenge on the House of d'Anjou. Now it's clear, and my sympathies go out to poor Geoffrey. A happy marriage this will not be... And et tu, Karling? Et tu? Ugh... unpleasantness all around.

Also, I must echo others in their thoughts on Foulques. Despite my long running list of things I profoundly disagree with him on, you once again show us why he deserves our pity, if nothing else. Well done, sir!

I've been slow playing Margaurite and Geoffrey's relationship with Aubry for this reason. I hoped it added punch to it. (And that this continues in the next chapter) This, much like Aines' death, was one that left me muttering profanities at my computer. To have long-building plans immediately go south is... frustrating. And then other things happen to make it worse. More on that next chapter as well.

I'm glad Foulques is doing as I want him to in that sense - he's meant to be a very flawed character who takes actions you don't agree with. I like him because I write him, but I expect readers to less. That can still be sympathetic is a good thing. Thanks for the compliment!

It's easy to see how Foulques might see a vengeful hand for his misdeeds. At least he realise they are misdeeds. But he has earned his success - and his miseries. A compelling character and one that will be missed once his end comes.

Yep. It all compounded here - seeing how his actions to get Aines may have harmed his son's life, and how loyal Alearde was despite his actions toward her - and with her skills, showing what kind of wife he could have had. It was hard not to see his mistake, even for someone who could easily slip into denial.

Well done! I like the reflections and the regrets. It tied up the stories very neatly. I understand about doing something in the game and then regretting later, but that is what happens in life and history and makes the story that much more compelling.

I do wonder, however, if through his reflections and regrets if Foulques will change from the man that personal and bodily desires drove to this place in his life. Now that he looked back is he thinking that were his accomplishments worth the path he took and price he paid.

Thanks! I think it is very hard to change, especially at Foulques age. How does one go against instinct? But there are subtle things which I've included in the following chapters to show this situation has shaken his confidence quite a bit.

The next chapter follows. It's of decent length, because a great deal happens. As always, it's a bit of a delicate situation that pops up here, and I tried my best to do it without going to far. Hopefully you agree.

As always, thanks for taking the time out to comment and discuss. It remains much appreciated!

Reactions:
Chapter 75 - August 1092
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 75
August 1092- Anjou, France

Foulques’ hand scraped the handle of his sword. How he so very much wished to use it.

Before him in these small chambers stood Aubry Karling and Marguerite. At his side was the Steward Guilhem and Chancellor Godfrey.

“What have you to say for yourselves?” Foulques demanded to the two lovers.

Aubry, lip quivering, fell to his knees. “My lord, please forgive my indiscretion.”

“Indiscretion? Indiscretion?!” Foulques bellowed. “You betray my son, who treats you as a brother, and you say indiscretion?!”

“A grievous mistake,” Aubry said. “I… I was weak-willed. A fool, deserving of contempt.”

Behind his mask, Foulques rolled his eyes. He noticed Marguerite do the same. That just made him angrier.

The duke stood up and kicked the kneeling Aubry in the chest, sending him face-first onto the cold ground.

“And what will you say to my son? The young man who would have you rise alongside him?” Foulques demanded. “You simply intend to call it a mistake?”

“I… I... I am sorry, my lord, to you and him, for what I have done,” Aubry said between gasps for air.

“And you,” Foulques said as he turned to Marguerite. “You would one day be the Duchess of Anjou and this is how you repay this generosity?”

“Your generosity saw my father murdered,” Marguerite said, locking eyes with Foulques. “Am I to be thankful for that?”

“Your husband had no say in such things,” Foulques said. “He has clashed with me over it.”

“Then he may learn what it feels to be caught in the schemes of others,” Marguerite said.

That earned her a slap from Foulques.

But she just smirked in response.

“I hoped you might feel that way,” she replied.

“She-devil,” Foulques said.

“You would know, serving the ‘Son of Satan’,” Marguerite said.

Foulques rose his hand to strike her again, but held up. She did not flinch, and appeared to welcome it. The duke lowered his hand and walked back beside his advisors.

“Are you mad, woman?” Aubry spat.

“I am furious,” Marguerite said. “As I have been for nearly half a decade.”

“Our lord could have us killed,” Aubry said.

“If that is his will, I welcome it,” Marguerite told him. “I am not a coward. I am not ashamed of my actions. Or the life we have created together.”

Foulques eyes widened. He looked to his advisers, and Aubry, who appeared equally shocked.

“What did you say?”

“I am with child,” Marguerite said. “And it is not your son’s.”

This time Foulques could not restrain striking her. His advisers quickly moved to pull Foulques back before he could unleash more than one blow to her. Again, Marguerite remained unbowed.

Aubry, meanwhile, was shaking.

“My lord, I did not know!” he insisted. “I swear, I did not realize she was… I did not want…!”

Foulques pulled his sword free and started toward Aubry, who scrambled, on his hands and knees, trying to flee.

“My lord!” Guilhem shouted. “Please! This is not what must be done.”

“My family’s honor besmirched and my son betrayed!” Foulques exclaimed. “It is nothing less than he deserves!”

“My lord, please!” Godfrey said as he moved in front of him. “He has wronged you but it will be looked upon with great distaste if you murder him!”

“Every man in the realm will understand!” Foulques bellowed.

“Leave this matter to Geoffrey!” Godfrey pleaded. “He is who has been truly wronged. It is his choice.”

Foulques was red in the face, as Godfrey blocked him from Aubry, who was against the wall, behind, still on his knees, whimpering pleas for forgiveness.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. The girl infuriates me, but at least she has dignity.

Foulques placed his sword back onto his belt and turned away from them, walking toward the door to the chamber.

“Quietly place him under guard, in his chambers,” Foulques ordered. “Until Geoffrey can deal with him.”

“What of the lady?” Godfrey replied.

“The same to her,” Foulques said.

Though unlike Aubry, Foulques doubted Marguerite would try to flee. It was clear she enjoyed her revenge far too much.

Foulques motioned for Guilhem to follow him.

“What do you need of me?” the steward asked.

“I had Bishop Hildebert investigate whether or not we can have the marriage annulled,” Foulques said. “We must now expedite those efforts. Inform him of such.”

“Understood, my lord,” Guilhem said.

“And send for my son,” Foulques said. “He will not like the news, but he must hear it.”

“Perhaps Godfrey is better suited,” Guilhem said. “Or your daughter.”

“You do not think me capable?” Foulques demanded.

“You… you are certainly capable,” Guilhem replied. “But I think it may require a more delicate touch. The subject would be difficult for any man to stomach.”

“There is only one person who should deliver such news,” Foulques said. “Send for him.”

“As you wish, my lord,” Guilhem replied.

Foulques returned to his chambers and poured himself some wine. He also prepared a cup for Geoffrey, before closing his eyes.

He dreaded this conversation. Though he did not know Geoffrey to be close with Marguerite, being cuckolded would not be welcome for any man, especially one who had a revolt being fought in his name. And to know that it was your close friend who did it…

It had been a long time… or perhaps it was the first time… that Foulques ever felt pity for his son. He also hoped it would be the last time.

The young man entered the chambers. If he had some inkling of what was about to occur, he did not let on, marching in with his usual disinterested look. He’d heard that wasn’t the case when he was around the council members, but to his father’s face, Geoffrey always seemed to wish he were some place else.

This was one time Foulques agreed with him.

“You called for me, father,” Geoffrey said. “Guilhem said it was urgent.”

“Sit,” Foulques said as he offered him the cup of wine.

“I’d rather stand,” Geoffrey said.

Foulques rolled his eyes. “Your petulance will do you no favors in life, boy.”

“My apologies, father,” Geoffrey replied.

Foulques could hear the sarcasm in his voice. It made the duke grit his teeth.

“Even when I feel remorse for you, you insist on making it difficult,” Foulques said.

“Remorse?” Geoffrey asked. Suddenly, his face grew less confident, almost fearful. “Why would you have remorse?”

“Your wife,” Foulques said.

“Marguerite? What is wrong with her?” Geoffrey demanded. “I saw her in the morning. Did something happen?”

“She has been unfaithful to you,” Foulques said.

“Unfaithful?” Geoffrey asked. “How?”

“Unfaithful as she has bedded another man,” Foulques said. “And… she carries his child.”

Geoffrey appeared confused. “But we were just wed… it’s too soon for…”

“Yes, that is why we know it is not yours,” Foulques said.

“How… how did you learn of this?” Geoffrey asked.

“The she-devil herself admitted to it,” Foulques said. “With pride I might add.”

Geoffrey shut his eyes and shook his head.

“This… I don’t believe this,” he said. “You… you are testing me.”

“No, I wish I were,” Foulques said. “But it is no test. You can ask Godfrey and Guilhem, they were there. Or see Marguerite under guard until we decide what is to be done with her. Or Aubry.”

“Aubry?” Geoffrey asked. “Why is Aubry under guard?”

Foulques lowered his eyes, but still could see his son’s widen out of his peripheral vision.

“This is a test,” Geoffrey said. “You mean to test my resolve, my composure in crisis. To say my wife and my closest friend…”

Foulques took a deep breath. “This is no test. It is… what has happened. I am sorry.”

“No, I do not believe it,” Geoffrey said. “Where is Aubry? I must speak with him.”

“There is little good in that,” Foulques said. “We must decide what to do with him and Marguerite once the marriage is annulled.”

“Annulled?”

“She carries another man’s child,” Foulques said. “We cannot allow such a thing to stand without punishment.”

Appearing bewildered, Geoffrey just kept shaking his head. “I must speak with Aubry.”

He hurried from Foulques chambers, leaving the duke with no choice but to follow his son as he made his way to his friend’s chambers. A pair of guards stood there and Geoffrey demanded they stand aside. They did - when Foulques, behind his son, motioned for them to with a hand signal.

Geoffrey stormed into Aubry’s chambers, with the latter appearing to be fearful of what was to come.

“Is it true?” Geoffrey simply said.

“Geoffrey, I…”

“Is it true?!”

“Yes, but…”

Geoffrey punched Aubry across the face, leaving the Karling to stumble. When he stood up, Geoffrey hit him again, and then a third time, causing Aubry to fall to his knees.

Aubry looked up. “I am sorry. So sorry…”

“Sorry you got caught,” Geoffrey said. “That is all.”

“Geoffrey, it did not begin this way,” Aubry said. “She sought my company while you were away. Then when you went to visit your father in Melun… she offered. It were her desire. I did not know she wished simply for revenge. I never would have…”

Geoffrey kicked Aubry in the ribs and left him sprawled, face down on the floor.

Her desire? Her revenge?” Geoffrey sneered. “As if you had no say in the matter. Her reasons were not important. She was to be my wife! You knew that. And you laid with her anyway. Repeatedly? She is not that far along with child - I would have noticed - so your time in February was not enough.”

Aubry did not even raise his head this time, just whimpering while holding his chest.

Her desire,” Geoffrey said. “Your desire has been to lay with a woman above your rank for some time. My sister… now my wife it appears. You could have another in time. I would have seen to it. But now?”

Geoffrey spit on him and then turned toward the door, brushing past Foulques as he did so.

“His fate remains in your hands,” Foulques said as he followed him.

“I do not care what happens to him,” Geoffrey said. “I just wish to be left alone.”

He started back to his quarters. But Foulques continued alongside.

“There is the matter of the woman,” he said.

“I do not wish to discuss this now,” Geoffrey said. “Leave me.”

“I have Bishop Hildebert working to have the marriage---”

“Did you not hear me?” Geoffrey asked. “I do not want or wish to hear about you wish to cover me from your mistake.”

“My mistake?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Geoffrey said pointing at him with a trembling finger. “All of this is your fault.”

“My fault? It was me who seduced your wife?”

“She seeks to punish me,” Geoffrey said. “Your actions have set this in motion. You had to have her mother. You had to murder her father. This scheme is punishment for what you have done.”

Foulques glared at Geoffrey. But he found himself unable to respond. He already knew Geoffrey was right. As he looked into his son’s eyes could not even muster the will to lie.

“Nothing to say?” Geoffrey asked. “Perhaps there is hope for you after all, father.”

Foulques remained in silence as he watched Geoffrey storm off. Moments later, he heard a door slam in the distance.

……

“What do you mean they refuse?” Foulques demanded in his chamber a week later.

Bishop Hildebert took a step back and lowered his head. “I mean Cardinal Humphrey in Maine has refused your petition.”

1092_Cardinal_Humphrey.jpg

“On what grounds?” Foulques asked.

“You recently received special dispensation from the church to carry out the union, ignoring their closeness in relation,” Hildebert said. “Nothing has changed in recent weeks that would overrule that dispensation.”

“She grows heavy with another man’s child!” Foulques exclaimed.

“They do not have proof she has been unfaithful outside of her marriage,” Hildebert said.

“Are you deaf?” Foulques demanded. “Did you not hear what I just said? Did you hear it, Chancellor Godfrey? How about you, Steward Guilhem?”

Godfrey and Guilhem nodded, leaving Hildebert to drop his eyes to the ground.

“They do not condone her decision to have relations before her marriage,” Hildebert said. “But they still will not give an annulment for that. Her punishment will come from God, in this life or the hereafter.”

Foulques stared at the court chaplain in disbelief before slamming his fist down on the table before him.

“This is unacceptable!” he shouted. “If the cardinal will not grant it. Find someone who will. Go to Pope Anastasius himself if necessary!”

The bishop was shaken, his lips and hand trembling. However, he bowed his head and slinked slowly from Foulques chamber.

“He fails me,” Foulques said to Godfrey. “No, he fails this family. This woman threatens the entire House and he can only mew on about the church refusing. They will grant annulment for anything - they just need to be convinced.”

Guilhem nodded. “It may be difficult for him. He is not the most forceful of persons. To be fair to him, it is not why he makes for a good Court Chaplain.”

“It makes me almost wish Telent remained in the position,” Foulques said. “But the fool had to be careless.”

Foulques sighed and turned to Godfrey.

“See what you can do,” the duke ordered. “If Hildebert is not capable, I will send someone who is.”

“I am thankful you show such faith in me,” Godfrey said. “But this is a matter for clergy. I am uncertain if my words will have any meaning.”

“They surely cannot hurt,” Guilhem said.

“Aye, I will endeavor to make certain they do not,” Godfrey said. “Perhaps working alongside our good bishop.”

“I care not for the how,” Foulques said. “See that it is done.”

Godfrey gave a slight nod before departing as well.

“Do you think he will succeed?” Foulques asked.

“I have my doubts,” Guilhem said.

“What are our alternatives?”

“We could simply declare the marriage invalid,” Guilhem said. “The girl has no relatives who are likely to fight for her. Alberic, perhaps, but I doubt he wishes to both anger you and empower her.”

“Then why do we not do that?” Foulques asked.

“Because the church may not recognize our decision,” Guilhem said. “In that case, should Geoffrey marry again, while Marguerite lives, they will declare that marriage invalid, and all children born of it illegitimate.”

Foulques cursed. This is a simple request. Why did they insist on making it so difficult?

The door to Foulques chambers opened once more, revealing Geoffrey.

The duke had not spoken to his son since revealing the affair to him, but it appeared Geoffrey intended on changing that.

“If I may have a moment alone with you, father?” Geoffrey said. “We have matters to discuss regarding my wife.”

Foulques nodded and motioned for the steward to leave him. Guilhem did, closing the door behind him.

“You have spoken to her?”

“Briefly,” Geoffrey said. “Her words drip with venom. It is as I have long feared with her. I do not know if I could ever trust her.”

“Did you discipline her?” Foulques demanded.

Geoffrey glared at his father for a moment before shaking his head. “And how am I to punish her? Beat her until she loses her bastard child? I think such a thing beneath any Christian man. Lock her away? You have already nearly done as much. She says she has not left her chambers in days.”

“And you would like her to?” Foulques asked.

Geoffrey sighed. “No, I did not say that. I just point out the limitations on what we can do.”

“I continue to work to see the marriage annulled,” Foulques assured him. “The priests dawdle, but we will see this injustice taken care of.”

“Dawdle?” Geoffrey replied. “I hear they reject your petitions outright.”

Foulques frowned. “For now.”

Geoffrey smirked, but shook his head. “It appears the only injustices being repaid here are you own.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze at his son. “Mind your tongue, boy. I have the last month looking for a way to relieve this embarrassment to you - one your reputation can not afford if you wish to command any respect should you ascend in Aquitaine.”

“You do not do this for me,” Geoffrey said. “You do it because you know it is your fault. But I suppose I should be grateful you have realized this is your doing.”

“I might remind you that it was not my friend who bedded your wife,” Foulques said.

“No, it is your chickens which come home to roost,” Geoffrey said. “All of this. Not just Marguerite but all you have suffered as of late.”

Foulques glared at him. “I thought you did not believe this was all God’s punishment.”

Geoffrey laughed. “God’s punishment? I would never try to understand His will. But I do not look to God for what has happened here. I look to men. It is men, not God, who make up the priesthood, who would deny our petitions for an annulment.

“God did not tell Marguerite to punish me. She did that of her own volition. And why? Because of actions you have done. Just as the priests deny us because you are a known murderer.

“Look to the king. Boudewijn may try to claim he acts in God’s name by attacking the ‘Son of Satan’, but we know he fights because he seeks the crown and nothing more.”

“And God is not punishing Alberic in Aquitaine, father. His counts do not rebel because they hear the holy spirit. They do so because they hate him - divine punishment? No the mortal ones work just fine.”

“You realize some say you will bring them deliverance in Aquitaine,” Foulques said.

“I realize people tell themselves all sorts of things. In fact I think it was you who told me such,” Geoffrey said. “I care not. I am no agent of God. I am a man who wishes to claim a birthright I am deserving of. No different than…”

He paused. Foulques arched his brow.

“Different than?”

Geoffrey sighed. “Than you, when you used the church as an excuse to take Anjou from my uncle.”

Foulques did not reply. Geoffrey’s sullen eyes said enough.

“If it is not divine punishment,” Foulques said. “Then we will find a way to bend the will of those men.”

After a shake of the head, Geoffrey looked toward him. “I have my own plan to salvage what is left of my reputation.”

Foulques arched a brow. “A plan?”

“If it is discussed, we will focus that she did not break her marital vows to me, as we were not yet wed when this indiscretion occurred,” Geoffrey said.

“She was betrothed to you,” Foulques said. “You undertook the same vows.”

“Betrothals are not the same as marriages,” Geoffrey said. “Bethrotals can be broken. Marriages… well look at our situation. In any case, I will not acknowledge the bastard. I will whisper among the counts that I kept her for the unity it will bring to Aquitaine following the war. And… we will take it from there.”

“And you think that will save your reputation?”

“I do not expect my reputation to be much of anything after this, regardless of the action I take,” Geoffrey said. He turned away from his father and began to walk away. “Such is the situation you’ve left me.”

Foulques hated being blamed for this. Even if he had made an enemy of the girl, he could not control what Marguerite would do. And though she did this for vengeance, Aubry was the fool who betrayed Geoffrey.

Yes, Aubry.

Etiennette had pleaded with Foulques for forgiveness. But he had dismissed her pleas, telling her that it was Geoffrey’s decision to make. Based on his response upon learning, Foulques expected something harsh.

“Son,” Foulques said. “There is the matter of the Karling boy.”

“What of him?” Geoffrey replied without turning around.

“I leave his punishment to you,” Foulques said. “If you wish him imprisoned… or worse, you only need request it, and I will have it done.”

Geoffrey did not respond at first, instead looking upwards.

Finally he said: “I wish him to suffer greatly. But it is not what I wish that matters. Killing or imprisoning will be looked at poorly and having you act the tyrant in my name does little for us. We will not win friends nor support with tyranny, father.”

“Do we aim to win friends at all?” Foulques replied. “There are other ways to make others do your bidding. Force, marriage alliances, intrigue…”

Geoffrey looked back at Foulques with a smirk on his face “And that is why we are here, father.”

Foulques said nothing as his son left the chamber.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Foulques last years are one of sorrow and self-pity... I understand Geoffrey's reaction... it was Foulques who killed the girl's father... had not been Aubrey, then she would have found another fool to use

Reactions:
Oh Foulques ...

These conversations and turns of events have been incoming for years. He is certainly deserving of them, and yet like any sentance this one does not only punish the guilty perpetrators, but also those blameless near the perpetrator. In this particular case, principally, Geoffrey. He has to own that as well.

Violence - that is always where Foulques feels most at home. It is no surprise that it is his refuge, even if it proves an altogether empty comfort here.

Looking back over this post, after reading it, I am struck by just how dialogue-heavy it is. There is description, of course, but just the bare bones necessary to convey action and speaker. Otherwise it is all words, and it feels fresh and active.

I said a couple of updates ago that Geoffrey's internal struggle was the finest thing you have written. I still hold to it - but these dialogues are right up there two. Two very different examples of writing, but both exemplary.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Understandable that you wouldn't want the tyranny label, but damn I wish you would've just chopped their heads off, sometimes over the top revenge can feel so good in CK.

I do hope that before Foulques passes he manages to kind of patch things up with Geoffrey, feels like Geoffrey would really resent himself when he gets older if it ends like this.

Reactions:
Geoffrey's gonna suceed Foulques with great hope... but I fear his end will be even lower than his father's if his character is as such.

By the way, any chance we can get character posts of the main cast again soon?

• 1Like
Reactions:
While all of the chapters have been great the last few have been making this a much better AAR.

I find it amazing how you can write so much on some events that when they happen to me I barely think about.

Reactions:
While all of the chapters have been great the last few have been making this a much better AAR.

I find it amazing how you can write so much on some events that when they happen to me I barely think about.
It is amazing what happens when you play a game with a mind to write a story. With CK it is perhaps most obvious, but even in other PDS titles the random events of the games often provide so much interesting fodder. In the hands of a wordsmith like @JabberJock14, well, this is the result :)

Reactions:
When I play PDS games, I'm generally telling the story to myself as I play. I doubt I havecrthe fiction writing chops to turn that into anything so good as this AAR, though. This is really top stuff and made all the more impressive by its release schedule.

Anyway, I think if I was playing and found myself in this situation I'd aim to solve it with more murder. I don't suppose either of them could be ritgeoously imprisoned in game terms? Although it was scheming and murder that got them here, Geoffrey's solution doesn't seem at all acceptable. And as I said many chapters ago, known murderer doesn't stack.

Reactions:
I am actually beginning to feel bad for Foulques ( not that he doesn't deserve what's happening) and i love the way you're writing Geoffrey, his character has been growing a lot of lately just as has the quality of this AAR, i mean it's amazing how good your writing is.

Reactions:
A vale of sorrow is Foulques’s lot and maybe he is getting his just desserts for prior indiscretions.

A well written chapter particularly those scenes between father and son. Bravo

Reactions:
This just keeps getting better and better. Reading this now I get the feel that Foulques made a deal with the Devil to get Anjou, be Marshal of France, and have the women he desired. Now the Devil is collecting and Foulques finds out that the payment not includes himself but all that loves and feels is valuable such as family and reputation. Unfortunately for Geoffrey he will have to pay for the sins of his father for a time to come.

Reactions:
... ok, so I've clearly miscalculated the sheer intensity of hatred Mauguerite has for the House d'Anjou. All my mistrust and fear of Agnes pales in comparison to how I look upon her daughter now. Normally I'm not one to roll with misogynistic terms like "she-devil" and the like, but you've written her in such a way where I cannot reject it outright...

I am also not a fan of Geoffrey's plan. He's kicking a very, very dangerous can down that road, and bigger problems are going to pop up the longer he doesn't deal with it. As a player, I would probably be at the point of beating down the Pope's door with my army and shoveling all the cash in the treasury at him to ensure annulment occurs. I know what happens when wives with a revenge agenda are left to roam free. Knives are often involved.

Reactions:
Marguerite proves to be even worse than her father, and we all know how this man ended. This might be another option to keep in mind.

Foulques really is falling, fast. First his health has been struck. Then fate turned against his son, due to his own actions. What would be the logical next step? For Boudewijn to claim the crown and erase any influence the Angevin duke has with the French crown, merely gaining another enemy and Maine becoming a very distant goal...
But I have faith in the Son of Satan to be able to avert that scenario.

Reactions:
Foulques last years are one of sorrow and self-pity... I understand Geoffrey's reaction... it was Foulques who killed the girl's father... had not been Aubrey, then she would have found another fool to use

I agree. She was bent on revenge. Aubry was likely appealing because he was young, likely to accept and Geoffrey's friend. But she probably would have taken anyone.

Oh Foulques ...

These conversations and turns of events have been incoming for years. He is certainly deserving of them, and yet like any sentance this one does not only punish the guilty perpetrators, but also those blameless near the perpetrator. In this particular case, principally, Geoffrey. He has to own that as well.

Violence - that is always where Foulques feels most at home. It is no surprise that it is his refuge, even if it proves an altogether empty comfort here.

Looking back over this post, after reading it, I am struck by just how dialogue-heavy it is. There is description, of course, but just the bare bones necessary to convey action and speaker. Otherwise it is all words, and it feels fresh and active.

I said a couple of updates ago that Geoffrey's internal struggle was the finest thing you have written. I still hold to it - but these dialogues are right up there two. Two very different examples of writing, but both exemplary.

Thank you of for that. Honestly, I've always felt I'm a better dialogue writer than narrative writer (I'm often lacking in description), but I'm glad both have worked well in relatively quick succession.

You are correct that this has been coming. And Foulques has been warned before - granted in the form of superstitious things like curses and divine intervention, but the signs are nothing new. Geoffrey spells that out fairly clearly here of course - one does not need to wander into the realm of the mystical to find punishment when men (and women) can easily dish it out. To his credit, Foulques at least seems to understand this one is very much on him, which is why certain characters may get more rope than they normally would have.

Understandable that you wouldn't want the tyranny label, but damn I wish you would've just chopped their heads off, sometimes over the top revenge can feel so good in CK.

I do hope that before Foulques passes he manages to kind of patch things up with Geoffrey, feels like Geoffrey would really resent himself when he gets older if it ends like this.

I was tempted. Aubry especially - since thematically it would have made sense. (Though I've read that was frowned upon) Marguerite is still valuable and France is kind of lacking in great marriage candidates, especially with the realm now in civil war.

I would say it is likely impossible for Foulques and Geoffrey to ever like each other - I've kept that kind of similar to what I've heard of the real life Foulques and Geoffrey. They are on the road to a working relationship however, which may be all they need to get by.

Geoffrey's gonna suceed Foulques with great hope... but I fear his end will be even lower than his father's if his character is as such.

By the way, any chance we can get character posts of the main cast again soon?

Foulques and Geoffrey have similarities and differences. There's another nod to that in the upcoming chapter. That said, they are shaped by different circumstances. There is an event far in the future which I think illustrates how experience and personal feelings can make for a different response, even if Geoffrey is not the violent, war-monger his father is.

Foulques will have a character post coming in the next chapter. The others will pop up over time. My next save date is in 1094 (For some reason I didn't make a save between 1088 and 1094, which was bad and I should have known better) so sometime in 1094, you'll probably get a massive influx on character screens since they'll be up to date storyline wise and not contain any spoilers for the eagle-eyed.

Thanks. I'm glad of that because honestly - unlike the events of 1087 (Rouen, Beatritz's death, and the Aines subplot) this was less... structured. And by that I mean, I knew when I was writing chapters in 1080 what those things would largely look like. The plots here, I knew they would happen but how they would be presented was much more recent. So I'm happy it's worked out.

To be honest, when a lot of these events happen, I don't think much about them. Some I miss completely - they'll get noticed when I go back and look at an old save or go deep diving to get an idea of where key players in the realm are. And sometimes it spirals out of that.

In this particular plot - that Geoffrey's wife immediately had and affair and got pregnant was a big deal. But when I investigated Aubry Karling in my earlier save files to get a read on his character, I saw that he'd been friends with Geoffrey! So I made sure to build that aspect up as time went along so this would sting hard.

Also worth noting, I play a bit in advance. Usually I'm about 10-20 years ahead in gameplay where I am in the story. (I have played up through 1113 in game) That usually gives sufficient time to ferret out any interesting tidbits to plots I'm planning.

Which is all to say, game provides a good base. Put in a little bit of time, and you can find a whole lot - and have dramatic things (like a best friend's betrayal) written for you.

It is amazing what happens when you play a game with a mind to write a story. With CK it is perhaps most obvious, but even in other PDS titles the random events of the games often provide so much interesting fodder. In the hands of a wordsmith like @JabberJock14, well, this is the result :)

Or you can just read @stnylan 's explanation for the shorter version. :D Thank you for that compliment!

When I play PDS games, I'm generally telling the story to myself as I play. I doubt I havecrthe fiction writing chops to turn that into anything so good as this AAR, though. This is really top stuff and made all the more impressive by its release schedule.

Anyway, I think if I was playing and found myself in this situation I'd aim to solve it with more murder. I don't suppose either of them could be ritgeoously imprisoned in game terms? Although it was scheming and murder that got them here, Geoffrey's solution doesn't seem at all acceptable. And as I said many chapters ago, known murderer doesn't stack.

Yeah, I do that too - as I play, I generally let the events form a rough outline in my head. Then I go back and look at saves around the point in the story to flesh it out. I appreciate the compliment. I hope to maintain this schedule, but I admit it was much harder with this upcoming chapter. And may be for the subsequent ones - but we'll see.

So, the problem with imprisonment is that the crime wasn't against Foulques in game terms. The "insult" was against Geoffrey, who isn't the Duke. It's also why ending the marriage was impossible, even though it was my first thought. Killing probably would have been a viable strategy. I don't remember why didn't at least try it against Geoffrey, but it's possible neither of them were disliked enough to get enough support for it. Adhemar was a reaaally unpopular guy, and Foulques didn't have the murder penalty, or the disfigurement penalty back then. Still, a good suggestion.

I am actually beginning to feel bad for Foulques ( not that he doesn't deserve what's happening) and i love the way you're writing Geoffrey, his character has been growing a lot of lately just as has the quality of this AAR, i mean it's amazing how good your writing is.

Thanks! I've worked hard to try to establish Geoffrey in the last few chapters for good reason. He's going to be an important character in this AAR, and his experience and how it shapes/changes him will be an important subplot.

A vale of sorrow is Foulques’s lot and maybe he is getting his just desserts for prior indiscretions.

A well written chapter particularly those scenes between father and son. Bravo

Oh yeah, Foulques deserves it. Though I'll also add Geoffrey is not entirely blameless here. Marguerite's revenge was directed at Foulques and Agnes but Geoffrey also has been a bit dismissive of her as well. Agnes called him out a few chapters back on using her for his own ends. Suffice to say, Geoffrey did not give Marguerite a lot of reason to think he was a great deal different than his father.

Thanks for the compliment!

This just keeps getting better and better. Reading this now I get the feel that Foulques made a deal with the Devil to get Anjou, be Marshal of France, and have the women he desired. Now the Devil is collecting and Foulques finds out that the payment not includes himself but all that loves and feels is valuable such as family and reputation. Unfortunately for Geoffrey he will have to pay for the sins of his father for a time to come.

Thanks! I like your analogy - he racked up quite the debt and now the price has to be paid.

... ok, so I've clearly miscalculated the sheer intensity of hatred Mauguerite has for the House d'Anjou. All my mistrust and fear of Agnes pales in comparison to how I look upon her daughter now. Normally I'm not one to roll with misogynistic terms like "she-devil" and the like, but you've written her in such a way where I cannot reject it outright...

I am also not a fan of Geoffrey's plan. He's kicking a very, very dangerous can down that road, and bigger problems are going to pop up the longer he doesn't deal with it. As a player, I would probably be at the point of beating down the Pope's door with my army and shoveling all the cash in the treasury at him to ensure annulment occurs. I know what happens when wives with a revenge agenda are left to roam free. Knives are often involved.

I'm not a fan of the terms either, but I can't imagine Foulques speaking of her nicely. Her methods and that she's a woman only would add to his anger. Also, it may not appear so, here but I have a lot of sympathy for Marguerite. If I were her, I'd despise this family too.

I can't argue Geoffrey's plan is a good one. I'm not even sure he'd think his plan is a good one. But an annulment is impossible and he's stuck trying to gain power by being the diplomatic alternative to a tyrant. (I checked - Alberic definitely has the tyrant penalty - impressive given his age!) Not saying that solving this issue with knives, or poison, or snakes isn't the right call - just that he'd be hesitant and Foulques is at a point where he's not quite as confident as he has been, given what's happened over the last few years in game.

Marguerite proves to be even worse than her father, and we all know how this man ended. This might be another option to keep in mind.

Foulques really is falling, fast. First his health has been struck. Then fate turned against his son, due to his own actions. What would be the logical next step? For Boudewijn to claim the crown and erase any influence the Angevin duke has with the French crown, merely gaining another enemy and Maine becoming a very distant goal...
But I have faith in the Son of Satan to be able to avert that scenario.

She is the blend of her parents. Aines also had an affair well before Foulques though I never figured out with who - I assume Marguerite was Adhemar's daughter but there's always the possibility that, ironically enough, she wasn't! She definitely has her father's "I'm better than you" nature, even if being better than a murderous adulterer isn't a high bar. :)

Well, the Son of Satan is going to have say in the state of the realm. In fact, he's going to have say in the next chapter!

This next chapter took a little longer than I would have liked. I was debating where to go and how to present the events that happen over the next few years, which are very civil war heavy, as the king returns to the realm and the real fighting begins. As noted above, while I've been generally going on a Monday, Thursday, Saturday update schedule as of late, that may change depending on how quick the ideas on how to present the events flow. So we'll see.

As always, thanks for all the comments, questions and feedback. I think I've mentioned it before but even if it's too late to put to use your suggestions for this problem, CK2 has a nasty habit of having those problems show up again later, when a different solution than the one I've used may be in order.;)

Reactions:
Chapter 76 - March 1093
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 76
March 1093 - Thouars, France

1093_Foulques.jpg

The relative quiet was surprisingly soothing.

As Foulques trudged along atop his horse, there was bit the sound of rustling armor and weapons adding to the cadence of hoofbeats as they traveled under the grey skies. Around him was his usual small cadre of knights, led by the gray-bearded Amaury. Ahead of them, lay the worn and beaten road to the keep in Thouars - still likely a little ways away.

The sound of nature was a welcome relief from the keep, where Foulques had returned for a few weeks from Melun, and where he was treated to the annoying cry of that bastard.

Marguerite had birthed her child by Aubry Karling. The girl, not even waiting to see if the child was strong enough to live for a few months, had already declared her intent to name him after the bastard’s father - another act of defiance.

1093_Marguerite_bastard.jpg

Foulques could see the anger in his son Geoffrey’s face when the two discussed it upon his return - but Geoffrey refused to do anything about it. He had determined the child was the key to keeping Marguerite’s actions limited to insults, rather than something more dangerous. It was perhaps the only thing she cared about and that Geoffrey was willing to spare it made her somewhat beholden to him.

Even if Foulques disliked putting up with Marguerite, he could not help but enjoy his son’s plan. Despite his protestations against Foulques’ actions, he now used the exact plan the duke had used on his sister Aureade to keep her from harming Geoffrey.

Geoffrey’s response was bemusement, followed by frustration, but to his credit, he remained true to his own plan. Then again, he likely did not have another option.

Still, Geoffrey had little reason to complain about his father on this visit. Foulques had not only fully restored his son’s say in the duchy, he had officially declared him regent. It had been at the behest of Guilhem, who believed there was no use avoiding such things - it was his birthright and it appeared his time may be nearing.

1093_Geoffrey_designated_regent.jpg

The duke shuddered at the suggestion and was determined to prove his old steward wrong. He did acquiesce on granting the title though - his near death after surgery had showed him the foolishness of avoiding the question.

And with everything else around them in chaos, it certainly did not hurt to be prepared.

While their journey had been peaceful - a far cry from what one might expect if they ventured either east or south, where battles raged as the realm groaned under the strain of a multitude of conflicts.

Around Melun, Philipp of Champagne’s forces gathered. He likely wished he could bring more men to bare, but he was now faced with a revolt by Count Henri of Sens against him.

Duke Hugues could not offer much assistance - he was troubled by a rebellion against him by the Countess of Charolais.

And then there was Boudewijn. The bulk of his forces, along with men from the two other dukes were laying siege in Saintonge. The keep had already fallen, but they worked to bring the entire county to heel.

It brought more strife to the south, which had problems of its own.

The war between Alberic and the Duke of Orleans dragged on, with neither side gaining much of an advantage. Meanwhile, Count Alias’ revolt in Geoffrey’s name was attempting to take Alberic’s keep in Bordeaux.

1093_Aquitaine_rebellion.jpg

But Anjou remained peaceful. The war had avoided them, and Thouars was close enough that it too narrowly dodged the conflict, at least for now. Which made it the perfect place for the king to meet with his new council.

Yes, King Philippe had returned from Valencia. What news he brought was unknown - the stories suggested the Emirate was nearly beat. Perhaps he would announce peace. Either way he had summoned Foulques to Thouars, as he had Duke Gilles, Duke Alberic, Duke Guilhem of Toulouse, Prince Hugues and the spymaster Charles.

“What do you think he will decide?” Amaury asked him. “Do you think he will seek battle?”

Foulques shrugged. He heard tales that Boudewijn’s force in Saintonge was about 10,000 strong. Philippe’s force was rumored to be smaller, making a fight risky.

“Perhaps we will leave Saintonge to its fate,” Foulques said. “And make for Champagne or Melun.”

Amaury nodded, but Foulques could see his eyes dim a little. The old warrior was now approaching 58 summers. His time grew near and the knight likely wished for one more battle - it was almost certainly why he had requested to accompany Foulques.

“We will see,” Foulques said. “Perhaps the king feels confident from his successes in Valencia.”

Amaury smiled, though Foulques guessed his old friend could figure out he was speculating in an attempt to humor him.

They returned to silence, and continued along to Thouars.

…..

“I pray this goes better than my last meeting of the council,” Philippe said.

The joke was met with a nervous laughter from Foulques, Charles and Prince Hugues. At best it drew a smirk from Alberic and Toulouse. Perhaps they both lacked humor - Foulques suspected Alberic could not laugh at anything but someone else’s misery and Toulouse appeared quite serious.

“To Dukes Guilhem, Alberic and Gilles,” Philippe continued, “welcome to the king’s council. I hope you will prove better men than your predecessors.”

Foulques, Charles and Prince Hugues did little more than grunt at the welcome. It was awkward enough for the duke - he was now serving on a council with the nephew, the new chancellor, who had wronged him, and the man whom his son was trying to steal the seat of, who was now steward.

“I bring you here to discuss our next moves,” Philippe said.

“Is the war in Valencia done, my brother?” Hugues asked.

“Nearly,” Philippe said. “I believe they do not have long before they admit defeat. With matters pressing here, I thought it time to turn north and restore the realm to whole.”

A fine way of saying of saying he left Valencia prematurely to clean up the mess of his own creation
, Foulques thought. But he kept that to himself.

However, the duke’s stomach still churned when Philippe called upon him moments later.

“Marshal Foulques,” Philippe said, “where do our enemies stand?”

“Not as well as they would like, I believe,” Foulques said. He pointed to the map. “Boudewijn oversaw the fall of Amiens, but that force has since moved southwest, to Saintonge. Amiens is back in our hands.”

“Good to hear,” Philippe said. “How large is that force?”

“Just over 10,000 strong,” Foulques said. “The Duke of Champagne also has just over 2500 men gathering for a siege of Melun. But his attention is diverted the rebellion of Count Henri of Sens against him.”

1093_Boudewijn_in_Saintonge.jpg

“And Hugues still struggles with the Lady of Charolais?” Philippe asked.

“Countess Almodis holds the City of Semur,” Foulques said. “And the duke has done nothing to try to reclaim it. He and his meagre forces remain with Boudewijn in Saintonge.”

Philippe smiled before looking toward Toulouse the king’s new adviser. “Your knights are at the ready?”

“They are prepared to join us in battle, if that is what you wish, my liege,” Guilhem said.

“That is what I wish,” Philippe said. “My council, our enemies have made an error. I intend to exploit it.”

Philippe pointed to Saintonge. “As the Duke of Anjou has pointed out, there are 10,000 men aiming to take Saintonge. They moved south in order to trap me when I returned, with under 8,000 men. But thanks to the generosity of the Duke of Toulouse, our numbers now stand at 11,000 thousand, and I think us more than a match for them.”

Foulques’ brow was raised. He did not hear of extra men from Toulouse.

“Then you intend to attack,” Prince Hugues said.

“I do,” Philippe said. “I will make a statement in this conflict by challenging Boudewijn to battle. He will give it, or he will lose support as a craven pretender.”

“It is… a risky strategy,” spymaster Charles admitted.

“I do not wish for this war to be drawn out for ages,” Philippe said. “Our forces did not lose a battle in Valencia. I believe in the quality of our knights and will stake my kingdom to them.”

Bold words, Foulques thought. But given Philippe’s successes in war, understandable.

“And I believe in the quality of the men before me as well,” Philippe added. “All who wish to join me on the battlefield will be welcome.”

Glances were traded. Foulques relished it - it had been too long since he had seen true battle. And Toulouse, for his part, gave a nod. Alberic and Gilles did not seem as enthused.

“If I may, my lord,” Alberic began, “I would suggest that Duke Foulques not join the battle.”

Foulques glared at the teen. “Why not?”

“It is meant as no disrespect my lord,” Alberic said. “But you are the marshal of the realm - organizer of the king’s armies. Would you not be better away from the battle and seeing to the planning of the conflict?”

“I am a man of action,” Foulques said. “You would know if you were old enough to be at Rouen.”

Philippe raised his hand. “My dukes, there is no need to squabble. Duke Alberic, Duke Foulques is an asset on the battlefield. Duke Foulques, Alberic’s reasoning is fair. I will think on this as we march.”

Foulques again glared at the teen. If Alberic dared prevented him from going into battle.

“My lord,” Gilles began, “I disagree with my brother-by-law here. I think Duke Foulques would make an excellent leader for your vanguard of knights.”

Foulques cocked a brow. He did not expect to hear support from his nephew.

“Your suggestion will be considered as well,” Philippe said. “Is there anything else?”

There was silence, so Philippe dismissed the council. However, he told Foulques to remain behind.

“There appears to be much interest in your whereabouts on the battlefield,” Philippe commented once the others had left.

“Alberic seeks to frustrate me over the rebellion in Aquitaine,” Foulques grumbled. “That is all.”

Philippe smirked. “With good reason, would you not agree? Your son seeks to displace him. And how is Geoffrey these days?”

Foulques thought of Marguerite and the bastard. “He… grows into a wise man.”

“A forgiving man as well, from what I hear,” Philippe said.

Foulques shook his head. Once more, he wished Geoffrey had listened to his desire to inflict a harsher punishment on Marguerite.

“However,” Philippe said, “to return to the matter at hand. You misread Alberic. He may wish to annoy you, but his larger goal is your safety. You remain neutral in the rebellion. If you were to die, Geoffrey will not be, and bring 5000 men in his name. Alberic wishes you safe and sound as a result.”

Foulques was silent. He did not think of that… but the king made sense. His death would almost certainly grant Geoffrey Aquitaine. And possibly more, if Geoffrey desired it.

“And I hope you did not believe Duke Gilles arguing on your behalf,” Philippe added. “He wishes for you to be killed, so he does not have to fear you sweeping down on him as vengeance over your daughter.”

Foulques felt a bit flush, though if he was red in the face, his mask hid it. How did he not see that?

“No matter,” Philippe said. “You will be on the battlefield. Certainly not in the vanguard, but… I do not know where yet. We will see when the time comes.”

Foulques nodded. He did not like not being promised a role, but at least the king seemed to have a read on any machinations his vassals may have had.

But there was another matter Foulques wished to have addressed.

“Toulouse,” Foulques said. “I did not know he was willing to commit extra men to the cause.”

“They are not free,” Philippe said. “I gave him permission to attack the Emperor.”

“Why would he wish to do that?” Foulques asked.

“Apparently when he was in hiding, he met with Pope Anastasius,” Philippe said. “And now it infuriates him that the Emperor supports another man for Pope. So he wishes action.”

Is he mad? Zealous? Stubborn? Or all three, Foulques wondered.

It was true, there was no better time for Toulouse to dream of defeating the Emperor - the death of Heinrich just over a year ago had destabilized the Empire and lead to a rebellion at the end of last summer.

1093_Dead_Kaiser_Henrich.jpg

But even with that, Toulouse’s forces were still much smaller than the Emperor’s.

“He takes a great risk,” Foulques said.

“Yes, one he wished me to take with him,” Philippe said. “But I remain at war in Valencia and have this rebellion to deal with. We cannot undertake another conflict. Since he cannot wait, he will move on his own soon.”

“For a man who spent much time in hiding,” Foulques said. “I am not sure if he is brave or stupid.”

“He gives me his knights, so I care not,” Philippe said. “If anything, if he’s successful, he may weaken our enemies to the east further.”

“And make himself appear more like an independent ruler, rather than a vassal,” Foulques said.

“And just when I had my doubts, it appears there is hope for you after all,” Philippe said, grinning. “A problem for the future. But for now, there are larger concerns.”

“Agreed, Foulques said.

The duke bowed before the king and turned to leave.

“Duke Foulques,” Philippe said, getting him to stop and turn. “I heard you paid a visit to Jaspert.”

Foulques scowled, though it was hard to see behind his mask. “Yes. He cured me of my illness.”

“Yes, he thinks you were afflicted by the pox?”

The scowl did not leave, given it was Adalmode who diagnosed him. “Yes.”

“Then I must commend him,” Philippe said. “The price was high, but in these times, the realm needs a marshal of the highest caliber, not one who plans his actions on what some wolf mother has howled.”

The memory of Guilhem’s lunacy replayed in Foulques mind, even as his own face burned a bit.

“Be glad it was a trade you did not need to make,” Foulques said.

Philippe grinned and nodded. “I have missed that bluntness. It is good to be re-united with you again Duke Foulques. Together, I have no doubt Saintonge will be a day we will remember as a triumph for generations to come.”

1093_State_of_France_wars.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
the war in the South is almost won, but the rebellion on the other hand... I thought the score would be red... and instead, the King is winning

• 1Like
Reactions:
Philippe has good reason to think he can win in France. Valencia appears near-won, and presumably providing fresh levies and gold once a peace is signed. This is assuming that the locals don't manage to turn things around while the King is back up north.

Marguerite comes across as incredibly dangerous. She has reason to be as spiteful as she is but that doesn't reduce the threat from her. The strategy of keeping her and her son close might be the least worst of the options that Geoffrey is willing to stomach.

Reactions:
Oh when Alberic spoke I could just feel Foulques get riled up - I would go so far as to say he almost needs the release of battle - to find a time and place he can discard all the other concerns and concentrate on the immediate now. I would go so far as to say a dramatic reversal and glorious last stand would even make him happy, a little anyways.

The Son of Satan remains solidly in control I note.

Reactions:
Seconding the above. Philippe has not lost his sense for intrigues in Valencia. This revolt can turn out to be a blessing for the king, neutralizing all opposition for a while.

I can't help but wonder what Orléans' troops are doing in that screenshot. Trying to defend his lands against Alberic? Then, misinformed of the rebels' movements, charging into a far superior force? Potential for a great inspiration to all French tragedy writers.
Or did he just have a death wish? Seeking a honourable death in battle like Amaury might?

Reactions: