• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really didn't know how it would end up, so it's a relief you guys seemed to enjoy it! It means a great deal to me.

A very good telling of the battle - with the right amount of confusion I think - aided perhaps by it being an all-AI fight as you say :)

Foulques has shown himself to be a most worthy Marshall, but one must wonder if that blow to the head will have any particular impact on the King. If it does not, he has just cemented his position in marvellous fashion.

Thanks. Since I keep to mostly first person limited - it was at times difficult to give the sense of what was happening and keep Foulques' perspective realistic. I'm glad the balance worked to your liking!

The blow to the head not a CK2 injury, but a means to show a rationale for something that I noticed shortly after. That something will be mentioned in the next update.

Brilliant battle scene........Appreciate the comment......but you really did do yourself an incredible amount of justice here :)

Thanks! I did look to yours for some reassurances that I was on the right track.

Having something of an interest in military history myself, I greatly enjoyed the in-depth look at Foulques's battle plan and disposition. I can't speak for historical accuracy since I'm not as well-versed in the early medieval period myself, but the basic logic behind Foulques's reasoning is sound enough in my opinion.

From what I've read, this period seems to be around when changes happened, particularly with cavalry as shock troops. But like I said, the number of large medieval battles in this time frame is very small - so who knows how accurate it was. I have read that medieval commanders knew of classical commanders well enough (and CK2 does make reference to it if you choose the war focus), so I didn't think it a stretch that Foulques would be versed on hammer and anvil tactics.

a good fight! and a great victory... I hope peace will be there soon

Peace is coming. But that doesn't mean Foulques' life is going to get easier. ;)

Brilliant battle scene man! If this had been adopted into a show in the save's alternate timeline, it would have painted Foulques' odds to him dying in that battle, possibly an Anglo-Saxon army right at the gates of Paris too, hell I even thought that was the end of our Duke, apparently not given his talent in the art of war.

I guess we'll be seeing more of Foulques in the near future.

Funny you should mention the King in Paris. That has not been forgotten. :)

You will be seeing more of Foulques. But.. this is perhaps his greatest moment. Things will not be simple for him going forward.

Wonderful fight! Guessing the head wound was more narrative for Phillippe rather than that dreaded battle event?

Thanks! And you are correct - the king will not be infirm or incapable. But the battle did affect him - you will see in the next update.

Like the others, I'm firmly of the opinion that there is no need to apologize for the battle scene :).

With the Saxons defeated for now, it is time to throw them back across the channel!

Thanks! I just get insecure on writing scenes like that. I think my strength is in dialogue - less straight narration.

The Saxons have been stubborn. But this pretty much sealed the deal. You'll see in the next update.

That was much easier than anticipated from a pure CK2 perspective. Well, Foulques should be good with the King for now. He's proved his worth and loyalty thrice over by now. Time for the Angevin levies to clean up the sieges. If the war is eventually won, Foulques place in alternate history is assured.

Well done.

Yeah, it shocked me with how easy the Franks won the fight. I guess heavy cavalry really is key. I also wonder if Bishop Aethelfrith's death played a role. I could not confirm with 100% certainty he was killed in this fight - lowborn bishops disappear after they die. But he was the commander here and was clearly dead when I checked my save six months afterward. So... I included it in there.

Argh, the King was victorious again! From my point of view, the best outcome for Folques' ambitions was a defeat in the battle!
However the battle description is wonderful, a little pearl for the militar history appassionates that must be surely considered. Really a good job!

Philippe has been extremely successful thus far (which may play a role in his actions in the future). And yes, Foulques' ambitions in Maine may become problematic after this. (more on that in the next update) I don't know if he could have taken it quicker from the English/Normans though. They had resources he did not.

Thank you for that compliment! As a person who loves military history, it means a great deal.

Brilliant battle scene. This was intense and a real thrill to read.

Thanks! That's what I was going for and am glad you found it fun to read!

Well done battle scene. It kept me interested throughout. A few times I thought we were seeing the end of either Philippe or Foulques or both. Now Foulques has an opportunity to advance his position in the kingdom even further or does he squander it.

Thanks! I tried to convey the fear I had for both going into the battle being a bystander into the writing, so I'm glad it showed. As for whether Foulques can advance... I would caution he is a very good military commander. Politics and other matters are not where he excels at. And his previous help may not be present much longer.

Just read the whole AAR so far over the last couple of days. This is one the best I've ever read, you are a really, really good writer. It also makes me want to try to learn CK2 properly.

I'm really impressed at the way you structure chapters, especially given you're only partially in control of the overall narrative. Makes for a really gripping read.

Glad to have you aboard and thank you for some very high praise. CK2 is an incredibly fun game because the character system makes it... whatever you want it to be really. It can be deadly serious, over the top insanity/debauchery or anything in between. It really is a sandbox.

Thank you for that compliment as well. I try my best to keep it within what happens in game because the game does give you quite a bit. And doing this AAR has really made me appreciate that. Going back and checking save points I had made, I often see multiple things I did not notice as I was playing. It can provide solid backstory to not only Foulques, but the people around him.

To all- as I said, it means a lot to see the compliments and lots of responses. I intended this to be a huge chapter, and that kind of response just makes it feel as such.

And while that was a huge moment - possibly the high point in Foulques' life, it is just one of many important events for him that hit in quick succession. 1087 was a huge year in this AAR and even after this upcoming update we are not even halfway through it.

Thank you once again for all the comments and feedback! Next chapter should be up shortly.

Reactions:
Chapter 51 - April 1087
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 51
April 1087 - Paris, France

It had been some time since Foulques had been to the Ile de la Cite in Paris.

Sixteen years in fact - after that grand feast following his victory in Mallorca, Philippe’s feasts had been at his residence in Melun. The impressive views of the palace on the Ile de la Cite was something Foulques had longed to see again, but had not been fortunate enough to.

But that would change soon enough.

Already he could see the gates and outer walls of the city as they moved along the road. The Seine had come into view as well not long before, letting them know they were close.

“It is a sight to behold,” Foulques reiterated to his son as they, on horseback, led the procession of soldiers. “A magnificent view of the city and the river - and is protected by the Seine as well. They say it helped withstand the invasion of the northmen.”

“Why does the king not hold court there?” Geoffrey wondered.

“Perhaps the king keeps with the tradition of his ancestors by residing in Melun,” Foulques said. “But I am not sure.”

“Did you not ask him? Geoffrey wondered.

“There are some things which you will learn it is not worth the trouble of knowing,” Foulques answered.

The boy was curious. And he was already far more diplomatic than his father ever was. But he had a habit of courteously pushing the boundaries - it did not help much to politely ask something one should not.

Others knew it. Foulques could see Geoffrey’s friend Aubry Karling just behind looking away, knowing the teen had overstepped his bounds. It was a habit Foulques would have to reign in if the boy wished to survive in the Frankish court.

As they approached the city, Foulques decided it might be wise to check on their “guest” of honor. The Duke slowed the pace of his horse until he reached Aelfmaer, King of the Saxons, who was flanked by Amaury and three Frankish knights.

After victory in Rouen, the Saxons had fled west. Philippe returned to Melun, citing his wound, leaving the duty of potentially finishing off the enemy to Foulques - an honor the duke happy accepted.

Foulques had chased the Saxons down in Mortain, where he had cornered them. With slightly greater numbers, similar terrain to Rouen and his enemy already demoralized after their crushing defeat there, Foulques entered the battle supremely confident. He even had Geoffrey take part in the battle along with Aubry, a first for the teens, though Foulques had Amaury stay close to Geoffrey as if they were joined at the hip.

The Saxons formed as strong a defensive position as they could, but the open ground was as good for the Frankish knights as it had been in Rouen. The Saxons were routed, and a wounded Aelfmaer was captured and hauled off to the Frankish camp.

1087_Franks_win_at_Mortain.jpg

1087_King_Aelfmaer_imprisoned.jpg

The Duke would have preferred to immediately transport the captured king back to Melun. But Aelfmaer’s wound was serious after his leg was caught under a horse. The bone smashed, his lower left leg had to be amputated, leaving him in no condition to be transported.

So instead, they had waited nearly a full two weeks before setting off for the capital, and by then King Philippe had notified them of his desire to host Aelfmaer at the palace on the Ile de la Cite in Paris.

It had been Foulques’ concern that the journey would prove too much for the man, but he had made it this far. The duke wished to make sure Aelfmaer would not be in poor health upon reaching the king - it was unlikely Philippe would take kindly to his trophy being too damaged.

“How do you fare, your highness?” Foulques asked him

Aelfmaer raised a brow. In truth, he did not look as a king should. He was dirty, his beard haggard, his clothes partially torn and his crown gone, likely pilfered by a Frankish soldier as loot.

“I have been dealing with humility for months now,” Aelfmaer said. “And I suspect I will suffer the most upon our arrival. So, to answer your question Duke Foulques, I have fared better.”

“How is your leg?”

“It is uncomfortable,” Aelfmaer said. “But I would expect losing one’s leg below the knee will do that. I do not feel feverish and I do not smell rot, if that is your concern.”

“It is,” Foulques said.

“A noble man,” Aelfmaer said. “Or one who wishes me alive to present to his king as a trophy. Tell me Duke Foulques, am I worth more dead or alive?”

“You live,” Foulques said. “Does that tell you?”

Aelfmaer laughed. “A man with a certain degree of honor would not care the price but keep me alive, as I surrendered. From your response… well, I would mind my tongue, but as you say, I am more valuable alive.”

Foulques smirked. Arrogant, even now. He would look forward to Philippe humbling this Saxon fool.

The duke looked up to see Geoffrey had dropped back alongside him. The teen looked toward Aelfmaer.

“Your highness, will the Saxon people admit defeat after this?” he asked.

“I would think so,” Aelfmaer said. “In truth, I do not think many of my lords' hearts were in this war. Normandy has been a blight. When Morcar refused Philippe, many, including myself, were frustrated with him.”

“Was King Morcar not murdered?” Geoffrey asked.

“I do not know,” Aelfmaer said. “It was suspicious, but sometimes we look for shadows where there are none because it is more comforting than the truth that your time may come at any time.”

Foulques shook his head. “If you were against the war, why continue it when you did become king?”

Aelfmaer looked toward the sky. “Do you have children, Duke Foulques?”

Geoffrey looked glared at the King. Foulques smirked.

“The king may not have realized it, son,” Foulques said. “Forgive my boy. He is eager to be recognized as the future Duke of Anjou.”

“My apologies, boy,” Aelfmaer said. “I did not realize.”

Geoffrey lowered his head. “Forgive my outburst, your highness. It is unbecoming of me.”

“Then do you have any siblings?” Aelfmaer asked.

“A sister,” Geoffrey said. He looked toward Foulques. “Excuse me, two sisters.”

“My boys had sisters too,” Aelfmaer said. “Do you know what happened to them?”

Both Geoffrey and Foulques shook their heads.

“Killed by rebellious rabble,” Aelfmaer said. “Each of them. Murdered. My eldest, the sweet girl - not yet 14 summers… she was violated by those monsters before they took her life.”

That response sent a chill down Foulques spine. He glanced toward Geoffrey, whose face had gone pale.

1087_Aelfmaers_daughters_murdered.jpg

“I blame this war for that,” Aelfmaer said. “It was before I became king. But my men were away from my county to answer the call of King Godwine. And the rebels eventually stormed my keep, and took my daughters. If I had more men… if the king had more housecarls…

“That is why I strove to be king when Godwine was killed a few months later. I wished to turn the war to our favor. If we could win this conflict… it would make their deaths mean something. But now… now I am tired. I wish for this to be over. Behind us. Perhaps then I can properly mourn my girls.”

“They are with God, your highness,” Geoffrey said. “Surely he had a place for them.”

“I pray every night that is the case, my young lord,” Aelfmaer said. “I would gladly offer my place for them.”

If you had a place to offer, Foulques thought. Though he could not help but feel sorry for the Saxon king - there was a limit to how far he could go. The girls deserved pity. Aelfmaer? He was a beaten man who merely felt sorry for himself. He imagined Geoffrey would feel different if he had been with him before the battle in Rouen…

An hour or so later, crossed the bridge onto the Ile de Cite and dismounted, then Foulques and Geoffrey led the the procession into the keep.

“Presenting Duke Foulques of Anjou - and his captive, Aelfmaer, Lord of the Saxons, King of England!”

The people gathered in the hall stood aside, creating a path. Foulques led Aelfmaer into the hall, the king helped along by two Saxon prisoners, and caught a glimpse of the King of the Franks. Philippe, seated in his large chair perched on the small dais, did not even bother to hide his pleasure at seeing Aelfmaer brought before him.

Also with him was Philippe’s council standing off to the side - Philipp of Champagne, Hugues of Burgundy and Boudewijn of Flanders. Charles, Mayor of Paris, the king’s spymaster was absent, as was Philippe’s brother, Prince Hugues, who was sent to Mallorca to help convert the duchy to the faith.

“My liege,” Foulques said as he bowed. “I bring with me, the Saxon king. He is yours to do as you see fit.”

“Well done, Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “You are proving every bit worthy of your marshal title.”

Foulques rose and gave a nod to the king, before moving off to the side. Geoffrey joined him. Both received a warm embrace from the Duke of Champagne, who whispered a congratulations to Foulques.

“Step forward, Aelfmaer, King of the Saxons,” Philippe said.

The captive king was moved forward. He did not bow before Philippe, staring up at him with an unflinching gaze.

“How do you like Paris?” Philippe asked. “I made certain to meet you here. I would not want to deprive you of the promise you made to me.”

“Your generosity is only matched by your humility, King Philippe,” Aelfmaer said.

Philippe laughed. “I am certain you would treat me no different if our positions were reversed. But they are not.”

Aelfmaer narrowed his gaze.

“So then, the terms of your release,” Philippe said. “Normandy, for your life. I think a single duchy a fair trade.”

“I do not know if Robert will agree,” Aelfmaer said.

“Robert’s vassals have abandoned him, their holdings lost,” Philippe said. “Already the barons and mayors flock to me to swear vassalage. If he wishes to challenge the might of the Franks, let him.”

“That will be your concern,” Aelfmaer said. “Not mine. The duchy is yours. It has been nothing but a burden ever since Robert’s bastard father came to our realm. A blight, poisoning the well for good, Saxon folk. We will do well to be rid of that cancer.”

“Had you Saxons realized this a decade ago, it could have saved many lives,” Philippe said. “But better late than never I suppose.”

The King of the Franks rose. “King Aelfmaer, you will remain here until all the documents are signed and recognized by our Holy Father in Rome. Then you shall return to your shores. You shall receive the treatment befitting a man of your station while here. If you need something, do not hesitate to ask.”

“Your graciousness is appreciated, your highness,” Aelfmaer said.

And with that, Philippe motioned for two of his guards to take the Saxon king away. Then he dismissed court and signaled for Foulques and Geoffrey to follow him. The other council members remained in the hall.

“Will send him to the dungeons?” Foulques asked.

“No, I have what I wanted,” Philippe said. “Normandy is mine. He can be treated well before he returns to England. Who knows? I may have use for him in the future.”

“Provided he survives,” Foulques said. “One never knows with wounds. And his is serious.”

“Truth,” Philippe said. He looked to Geoffrey. “Tell me my boy, how was battle like?”

“Different than the practice field,” Geoffrey said.

Philippe laughed. “That is certainly true. Did you enjoy it?”

“It was a rush,” Geoffrey said. “But… I think I have a great deal to learn.”

“You have a fine teacher for such things,” Philippe said. “Your father is a hero of the realm. They will toast his name from these halls all the way to Gascony.”

“I hear they speak of you moreseo,” Geoffrey said.

“Yes,” Philippe said. “Though I do not know if it is good. My name inspires fear as much as it does respect. Though perhaps that is not such a bad thing. What do you think, my marshal?”

1087_Raoul_of_Vexin_faction.jpg

“I think such a question would be better posed to your chancellor,” Foulques said.

“Perhaps you are right,” Philippe said. “I have you to crush my opposition, not guess their intentions.”

“There is a matter I wished to discuss, my liege,” Foulques said. “Regarding the distribution of your newly conquered land.”

“Your rightful claim,” Geoffrey added.

Philippe pointed at the teen and smiled. “What of it?”

“Maine,” Foulques said. “It is rightfully part of Anjou. My uncle held it, until the Bastard stole it from my brother.”

“Your brother’s failure is known to me,” Philippe said. “He could not maintain dominion over his land, so he lost it. As he did with his duchy, to you.”

“Yes,” Foulques said. “But I am not he.”

“What my father means,” Geoffrey began, “is that he has shown himself to be a greater man than my uncle ever was. Given how he’s helped win your war, perhaps you would find it proper to return Maine to our family?”

“Proper?” Philippe asked. “There are few favors in life my boy. But… the contributions of Anjou loom large in this conflict. I will think on this. Once I have the counties, I will explore the matter further.”

The king stopped as a man stood ahead of them. Foulques recognized him as Charles, the spymaster.

“My lords, if you will excuse me,” Philippe said. “I have some matters I must discuss. But we will celebrate this victory tonight and tomorrow! Boar, wine, perhaps even ale, for such an occasion. And you, young Geoffrey - you have seen battle. We will see to it that you experience the other joys of becoming a man before you leave here.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened and he blushed. The king gave him a tap on the arm before departing.

The two walked the halls after, and once they were far from the room in which the king entered with his spymaster, Geoffrey whispered to his father: “I do not think he intends to give you Maine.”

“He said he would think on it,” Foulques said. “I have won him his war.”

“If he wished you to have it, he would have given it to you,” Geoffrey said. “He did not.”

“He has nothing to give yet,” Foulques said.

“He does,” Geoffrey said. “It is a formality that Normandy is his.”

“You would be wise to not question the king so vehemently,” Foulques warned. “He is not his father. And now he can stand with any Duke in the realm. Even me.”

“In men,” Geoffrey said. “But he cannot match you on the battlefield. I think he grows fearful of it. See how he did not join you in pursuit of the Saxon king?”

1087_Philippe_Craven.jpg

“He was not yet recovered from his blow to the head,” Foulques said.

“I do not understand why you make excuses for him,” Geoffrey said.

“Enough,” Foulques said. “The king has not yet wronged me. And the alternatives are far worse. Hugues is an overambitious fool who thinks too highly of himself. I have little desire to bow before Boudewijn, that Flemish pretender.”

“Perhaps you would consider yourself for the throne?” Geoffrey asked.

Foulques narrowed his gaze. “You would be wise to forget such things. Look to Aquitaine and Poitou. There is possibility there, especially once you have wedded Margaurite.”

“But if we were to secure…”

“I said enough,” Foulques said. “You must learn patience. And you must learn to plan. I have never rushed headfirst into anything. There is a reason my armies have found success and why I have expanded as I have. I have set goals I can attain, and worked to achieve them. Do not get ahead of yourself, it will lead to setbacks. Do you understand?”

Geoffrey lowered his head. “Yes, father.”

He is young and wishes to grab all he can, Foulques thought. He is my son.

Geoffrey still had to be molded. He had potential, but there was much for him to learn. Thankfully with the war over, Foulques believed he would have time to teach him.

But for now, Foulques patted his son on the back.

“Now then, I will talk to the king” Foulques said. “I will make sure the wench he chooses for you is pretty.”

Geoffrey blushed once more, turning even redder than before.

1087_Peace_between_France_and_England.jpg

1087_Philippe_wins_English_War.jpg

1087_French_Normandy.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The wheel turns, and Foulques is now at its zenith. Victorious, triumphant, renowned. Yet I fear the young man may be right in his reading of the King.

Reactions:
Certainly a coup for Philippe, and for Foulques as well -- though I wonder if the prize Foulques is most hoping for will be snatched away at the last moment by a scheming monarch who can't allow one of his vassals to grow too powerful, no matter how loyal he appears.

The scene with Foulques, Aelfmaer, and Geoffrey was a nice touch. Aelfmaer's fate would make for a nice cautionary tale about the price of glory and ambition: "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Reactions:
Geoffrey is certainly going to be an interesting character from this point. He has plenty of ambition but lacks the experience to counterbalance it. I suspect he may also have picked up the chaste virtue as well with all of the blushing.

All in all, that was quite a coup to capture the English King in the follow up battle. Foulques seems to have been touched by the Gods to have such luck thus far. My overlords tend to get me rapidly killed in their wars when I play a vassal, but Foulques is thriving under the AI guidance.

Unfortunately for the House d'Anjou, lordship over Maine is not guaranteed. Phillippe now has a healthy demesne, but it isn't stretched enough to guarantee that he'll parcel it out to one of his more important dukes.

Well done, excellent couple of chapters.

Reactions:
The Saxons should have stayed on their island if they wished to control the peasants. Instead of overcoming his grief, Aelfmaer just caused even more.

Geoffrey is truly Foulques' son. Though for his ambitions, the wedding with Douce de Bourgogne would have been the better option - after all, the strength of his soon-to-be-wife's claim on Aquitaine will not be much stronger than Geoffrey's one one once his mother falls to her cancer. Should he secure Poitou and Aquitaine, then the Capets have a lot to fear...

• 1Like
Reactions:
how did he become a craven? and I really hope Maine be given to Foulques

Reactions:
Oof, a craven king. Glory factions won't be happy if they do eventually pop up! I'm guessing little Geoffrey got the 'Ambitious' trait?

Since I kind of telegraphed it, yes, Geoffrey does get the ambitious trait, though he does not techincally have it yet. I figured that he wouldn't just randomly start being ambitious, so I wanted to start him displaying it here, mixed with a healthy dose of immaturity. :)

The wheel turns, and Foulques is now at its zenith. Victorious, triumphant, renowned. Yet I fear the young man may be right in his reading of the King.

Yes, he has reached his zenith. But... as you'll see in the next update, the fates giveth, the fates taketh away.

Geoffrey may be immature, but he is also much more removed from Philippe than Foulques is. It allows him to see things his father, who is also less skilled diplomatically, does not. Which may well continue to be the case.

The victory is ephemeral, the glory is eternal!

Foulques would do well to remember that in the years going forward! ;)

Rightful French clay! Now that I can follow - painting the map royal blue!

Geoffrey seems bold - both ambitious and very forward. I wonder how much of Foulques' remaining time will be focused on molding his son.

Philippe's ambitions have gone well and he is not done in his attempts to expand. But success is not guaranteed.

Foulques will aim to see his son grow up right. However, Foulques has his strengths. They lay on the battlefield. Raising a son is a very different animal entirely, as you'll see.

Foulques seems to be the type who is always hopeful and in the end gets the short end of the stick. Geoffrey looks like he is wise beyond his young age and very observant. Still needs to learn some tact, however.

Foulques is confident and being lavished with praise from a king who is skillful with his words. I would say Philippe has him where he wants him. As for Geoffrey, I will say he is cynical with a growing ambition. It's only natural he would look at Philippe and not completely trust him, especially given Philippe is generally not trusted in the realm itself. The guy is nicknamed "the Son of Satan." ;)

Certainly a coup for Philippe, and for Foulques as well -- though I wonder if the prize Foulques is most hoping for will be snatched away at the last moment by a scheming monarch who can't allow one of his vassals to grow too powerful, no matter how loyal he appears.

The scene with Foulques, Aelfmaer, and Geoffrey was a nice touch. Aelfmaer's fate would make for a nice cautionary tale about the price of glory and ambition: "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Well that first point... can't say. But you'll see in the near future.

Thanks on that. I wanted to give Aelfmaer a scene after he was captured and wounded - I had actually been playing with it before I wrote the earlier scene with him. I thought the two bookended that mini-segment well. And as for that proverb... you may have a laugh at something Foulques says in the next chapter.

Geoffrey is certainly going to be an interesting character from this point. He has plenty of ambition but lacks the experience to counterbalance it. I suspect he may also have picked up the chaste virtue as well with all of the blushing.

All in all, that was quite a coup to capture the English King in the follow up battle. Foulques seems to have been touched by the Gods to have such luck thus far. My overlords tend to get me rapidly killed in their wars when I play a vassal, but Foulques is thriving under the AI guidance.

Unfortunately for the House d'Anjou, lordship over Maine is not guaranteed. Phillippe now has a healthy demesne, but it isn't stretched enough to guarantee that he'll parcel it out to one of his more important dukes.

Well done, excellent couple of chapters.

Geoffrey is ambitious, but as you say inexperienced. And, a bit impatient. That will come up later on.

Foulques has been quite lucky. I will give semi-spoilers in that his luck is going to run out... kind of starting now. He's been fortunate from everything from war to family life. The former, I would give him a good shot at maintaining success in. I think his high marshal skill plus good personal combat skill helps. As for the latter... you'll see.

You are right about Philippe not wishing to make his dukes too strong, even the loyal ones, as you'll see going forward.

The Saxons should have stayed on their island if they wished to control the peasants. Instead of overcoming his grief, Aelfmaer just caused even more.

Geoffrey is truly Foulques' son. Though for his ambitions, the wedding with Douce de Bourgogne would have been the better option - after all, the strength of his soon-to-be-wife's claim on Aquitaine will not be much stronger than Geoffrey's one one once his mother falls to her cancer. Should he secure Poitou and Aquitaine, then the Capets have a lot to fear...

Yes, the Saxons had to fight... but really, the only thing that had saved them to that point was the HRE's interference. In fairness to Aelfmaer, the opportunity to potentially escape the conflict would have come under Godwine's reign. But Aelfmaer did sink more resources into what was clearly a lost cause by the time he did gain the throne, potentially limiting England down the road.

You are correct that Douce would have potentially given him more, at least in titles and that he could well claim Aquitaine or Poitou without his potential wife. However, she also may be in line for Gascony as well. And her claim would be inheritable. His, not. In theory, Geoffrey (or his son) could control from Anjou to Navarre, if everything goes right. Of course, things never go exactly according to plan and well... stay tuned.

how did he become a craven? and I really hope Maine be given to Foulques

I've gotten that event before during battles, so I believe (but am not 100 percent certain) he got it in the fight in Rouen. Which is why I wrote the scene where he was nearly killed - giving him reason to actually become craven when to that point, Philippe had been rather brave. As for Maine - you will see in the future.

The next update is coming shortly. As mentioned before the last update, we're not moving very far - just a few weeks ahead. Foulques' life is extremely event filled at the moment and this chapter is centered around a very significant but extremely annoying one. Just writing it makes me want to enact some revenge, but if it comes, it will not come for a time. :mad:

As always thanks for all the comments and feedback! You guys are awesome! :cool:

Reactions:
Chapter 52 - April 1087
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 52
April 1087 - Anjou, France

It was the largest crowd yet.

Foulques was not surprised by that - after all, he was arriving back in Anjou for the first time since his two victories over the Saxon King Aelfmaer. And every village in his duchy had greeted he, Geoffrey and the procession of knights with celebration and reverence. Still, though he had seen the people and heard their cheers, he could not hold back a smile, especially as he saw the pride in Geoffrey’s face as the teen heard his father’s and his family’s name praised.

It is good to be home.

While travelling from Paris, Foulques had gotten respect at all of their stops. But the celebrations were larger and more jubilant when he reached the Duchy of Anjou. It made sense to him - he was not just their lord - he was a hero of the realm. A great among the Franks - so King Philippe himself had declared.

And here, in his home, everything would be at its greatest. And here, he could truly take part. He already planned to hold a small feast before he returned to his duties as marshal in Melun in a few weeks.

Upon arriving, the crowd allowed Foulques and his main party space so they could make their way into the keep. They were greeted by Foulques’ councilors and Duchess Beatritz, with her niece Aines by her side. Foulques found that odd - he would have expected his daughter Agnes.

“It is good to see you safe and well husband,” Beatritz said as she embraced him.

Foulques was surprised - and disheartened. His wife had grown thin and her complexion almost sickly. It was a far cry from when her weight would affect her gait or make it harder for her to perform certain tasks.

“How do you fare, wife?” Foulques asked her.

“I live,” she said and before he could press her further, she moved over to Geoffrey and squeezed him tightly.

“My son!” she exclaimed. “I hear you took part in battle! How did you fare?”

“I live, mother,” Geoffrey replied.

Beatritz smirked and gave her son a kiss. He was her height now, but Foulques guessed it would not be long before he shot well past her.

While Geoffrey dealt with his happy mother, Foulques noticed that his son's friend’s, Aubry Karling, welcome did not appear as joyous. The teen was greeted by his mother, Ermengarda, not his father Eudes, and then slipped from the crowd along with her.

Oddly, Foulques noticed then that Etiennette was also missing. And unlike her mother, he had not seen her.

Etiennette and Agnes, he thought. Something is not right.

“It is good to see you return safely, my lord,” Aines said to him.

He made eye contact with Aines de Poitou and smiled at her. And it is good to see you again, he thought.

It was strange to look at her in a way - he wondered again if this was how Beatritz looked in her younger days. And given how Beatritz looked now, he could not help but feel drawn to Aines.

“How do you fare?” Foulques asked her.

“Well, my lord,” Aines said. “My family has taken a liking to this keep. We are treated with more respect here than we were in Limousin - my aunt… excuse me, the duchess, has been very generous.”

“Good,” Foulques said.

“I am happy you return,” Aines said. “When I heard of what you faced in Rouen, I was worried. I prayed for your safe return. And now you have - thank God.”

A smirk formed on his lips. It did help that she did appear rather inviting.

“My lord,” Mayor Guilhem interrupted, breaking his train of thought. “There is much to discuss. We will need to go over the finances of the duchy and…”

1087_Mayor_Guilhem.jpg

“Did Beatritz not handle such matters?” Foulques asked.

“She has, my lord,” the steward replied. “But… she requested this. She considers it of great import.”

“It can wait,” Foulques said. “I do wish to speak to you about organizing a feast.”

“I expected you might,” the steward said. “Preparations were already started. Within a few days, your feast can begin.”

“Excellent,” Foulques replied.

“Now, about the matter of finances,” the steward continued.

Foulques rolled his eyes. “Are we without gold?”

“No, my lord,” the steward said. “In fact, our coffers are fuller than they have been.”

“Then there is no problem,” Foulques said. He looked to Beatritz. “Wife, where is our daughter?”

The smile that Beatritz had on her face after seeing her husband and son vanished. She shook her head.

“Not here,” she replied. “In private.”

A chill shot down Foulques’ spine. “Is she ill?”

“She is… she is… I...” Beatritz stammered. “Please husband, this is a matter we must discuss privately.”

Foulques was growing frustrated, and concerned. Why could his wife not tell him what was wrong with his daughter? Was it something having to do with Etiennette Karling? Could they both have taken seriously ill? Could one… or both, have died?

He would have pressed her further, but Beatritz had already started back into the keep. Foulques followed, along with Geoffrey. They came to Beatritz’s chambers, where Agnes sat alone on a bench.

“Father!” she exclaimed. But, to Foulques surprise, she remained seated.

It did not make any sense. She seemed healthy. What is going on, he wondered as Beatritz closed the door behind them.

“What is this matter?” Foulques demanded.

Beatritz sighed. “Our daughter is with child.”

Foulques did not think he heard her right. After all, Agnes was not married. To his knowledge Agnes did not have any suitors in the keep.

But Agnes stood up and tugged her dress tight. Sure enough, her abdomen bulged slightly against the fabric of her dress.

1087_Agnes_pregnant.jpg

Foulques stormed up to her. “What is the meaning of this? Who did this to you? WHO?”

Tears began to well up in Agnes’ eyes. She muttered weakly: “Duke Gilles.”

“Your cousin?” Foulques demanded. Agnes nodded. “I forbade you to be alone with him! Did I not?”

Agnes again nodded. “I’m so sorry father.”

“You disregarded what I said and laid with him after your brother’s betrothal feast?”

“No father,” Agnes said. “He visited a few weeks later, in January. He told me that he loved me… and that he hated his wife the Duchess because she was so cold and… I’m sorry, so sorry.”

“You are a fool, girl,” he said before turning to Beatritz. “HOW? I told you to make sure he got nowhere near her.”

“I apologize husband,” Beatritz said. “I was bedridden when he arrived. I was not even made aware Gilles was in the keep until the day after he arrived.”

“Bedridden?” Foulques asked.

“Yes,” Beatritz said. “My condition worsens. That is another matter for when we are finished with this.”

Foulques glared at her, before doing the same to Agnes, who was still sobbing, trying to hold back her tears, and failing miserably. Geoffrey appeared uncertain - whether to comfort his sister or shun her.

“Remain here with your sister,” Foulques ordered him. “I must discuss this matter with your mother.”

“I am sorry father,” Agnes said. “You must believe me.”

“Quiet!” Foulques shouted at her. “I do not need or want to hear your apologies. You’ve ruined yourself. I doubt Toulouse will have anything to do with you now.”

In truth, Foulques had barely started discussing the prospect of marrying Agnes to the Duke of Toulouse - the man was still in hiding. But he was angry and said what came to mind.

That sent Agnes into full on tears and sobs as she buried her face in her hands, muttering “I’m sorry father” over and over. It was enough to have Geoffrey walk over to console her, while giving his father a dirty look.

Foulques wished to yell. He wished to curse. He wished to strike something. But since the only things around were stone walls, his sickly wife and pregnant daughter, he restrained himself until he reached his own chambers, followed by Beatritz.

Then he released a tirade, using every swear word he had ever learned, a few he had heard in other languages and one or two he may well have made up.

“I understand your anger husband,” Beatritz said. “But we must deal with the issue.”

“Can she be rid of it?” Foulques asked.

“I… do not know,” Beatritz said. “I have heard women say such things work, but others tell me they are dangerous. I know Agnes does not wish such things.”

“She does not matter,” Foulques said.

“You are angry,” Beatritz said. “As am I. But she remains our daughter. Do you wish her ill?”

Part of Foulques did. But a much larger part knew he could not harm her. She was still his first-born, a child he was not certain he would ever have.

“What do you suggest?” Foulques asked.

“I am uncertain,” Beatritz said.

“A convent?” Foulques asked. Beatritz frowned.

“Do we truly wish to give away a daughter who is still your child?” Beatritz asked. “She is… tainted by this but there are powerful men who would still wed her, after the child is born.”

“So you have nothing for me,” Foulques said.

“There is no simple solution, husband,” Beatritz said.

That was not what he wished to hear. “Leave me.”

“Husband…”

“I said LEAVE!” he bellowed.

Beatritz was surprised enough by the outburst she took a step back. Her face showed her concern and worry, but she did as she was told, shutting the door behind her.

Foulques sank his face into his palm. This was not supposed to be what greeted him upon his return. It was meant to be celebration and adulation. This was nothing but a headache.

Perhaps I should return to war, he thought.

But, he knew that was not an option. For the first time in a decade, the realm was at peace.

…..

When Foulques drew up a list of possible distractions from his problems, this was certainly one of the best.

Alearde has just turned 31 years. She was now a mother. And she had dealt with the stress of having the duchess essentially disown her.

But she remained beautiful. Perhaps even more so than she was when Foulques first seduced her… some 15 years before.

It was true that while his mind used to be monopolized by fantasies of being with Alearde, more and more Aines found her way into his thoughts. But he could not deny that his time with Alearde was nearly always enjoyable. She understood him, in both mind and body.

1087_Alearde.jpg

Now she slinked away from the bed, her naked form on display in the candlelight. She was a little heavier now, though her station and activity limited how much weight she could gain, and she had marks indicating her motherhood. He cared not, instead smiling when she crawled back into bed wine for him in hand.

“How is it that when I leave you only grow more beautiful?” he asked.

She blushed. “You flatter me more than I deserve. I think you just miss seeing a woman on campaign.”

It was somewhat true. Foulques did not see that many women - and the ones he did were often in a poor state after the sacking of a keep or town.

He pulled her close, enjoying the touch of her soft skin on his. With those beautiful eyes and smile that he fell in love with years before, she looked up at him.

“I ask you a favor, my lord,” Alearde said.

“What is it?”

“It is a difficult subject,” she said. “It involves your troubles.”

He looked away. “Agnes.”

“I merely ask you show leniency to her,” Alearde said. “She is young and was naive. She is not the first woman your nephew has ensnared. Nor is she the last.”

“If you speak of Etiennette Karling,” Foulques said. “I am aware.”

As it turned out, Etiennette was also with child, further along than Agnes. He learned the girl had been seduced while Gilles had stayed during the betrothal.

It had been a tumultuous month for the Karling clan. Eudes had died in March, with Aubry only learning of it, along with his sister’s pregnancy, upon his arrival.

1087_Eudes_Karling_dies.jpg

1087_Aubry_Karling.jpg

“There are others,” Alearde said. “Rumors even speak to the Duchess of Flanders.”

Foulques raised his eyebrows. “Wife of Boudewijn? Is he aware?”

“I know not,” Alearde said. “Perhaps he is in denial. Or maybe he knows but says nothing for his reputation. Admitting to losing your wife to the bed of a fellow duke… it does not do wonders for a man who fancies himself a king.”

1087_Duchess_of_Flanders.jpg

Foulques stroked his beard. It was an interesting tidbit. But it hardly helped him with Agnes’ situation.

“So I am to show leniency to my daughter because she is one of many fools?” Foulques asked.

“No, you are to show leniency because you care about her,” Alearde said. “And because you are within your rights not to aid her at all.”

“Explain,” Foulques said.

“Do you know why I risk your wrath by speaking for her?” Alearde asked. “Because she once did the same for me, when I grew heavy with Belle. She did not have to, but she drew the ire of the duchess on my behalf.”

“So now you would do the same for her,” Foulques said.

“Yes,” Alearde said. “And if you are kind to her now, she will never forget it. Because she believes she is going to suffer.”

“So I am to give her no punishment?” Foulques asked. “I cannot abide by that. She ruins this family!”

“I imagine she will be kept largely in this keep as the child grows within her,” Alearde said. “And she will still carry the shame when it is born. To say she carries with her no punishment… is not true.”

“Her crime is great,” Foulques said.

“And her guilt and shame greater,” Alearde said. “But consider this - if you give her leniency, she will be loyal to you for as long as she remains here. And when you find her a proper husband, you will have an agent in his court, should you need it.”

“If I can find her a proper husband,” Foulques said.

“She remains your daughter,” Alearde said. “Just as the duchess had her faults when you wed her, so too will Agnes. And just as Guilhem of Aquitaine was too valuable an ally to ignore, so shall you be.”

Foulques stroked his beard. There was truth in what she said. He was angry with Agnes, but… sending her to a convent, which would have made the most sense, may not be the best solution. He did not wish to be rid of her. And she still had some value.

“I will think on this,” Foulques said.

“That is all I ask,” Alearde said.

“I thought you asked for her forgiveness,” Foulques said.

Alearde smiled. “I stand corrected. I ask you to consider. But I beg you for her forgiveness.”

Foulques pulled Alearde close and kissed her neck. She pushed him back onto the bed and went back to work.

….

The feast should have been more enjoyable.

Despite being put together rather quickly, it had most of what Foulques could have wanted. Wine, some from Champagne, gift of the Duke Philipp. It had its share of meats - a hunt for boar led by Leon had even managed to secure two, despite Foulques doubting the odds of success. He was pleased about that - Beatritz was able to enjoy it once more.

But he could not shake the reminders the troubles around him.

For one, he sat alone now. Beatritz had retired early, not long after eating. She felt unwell - and Foulques was not in any position to demand her remain.

For once he wished she would be her old self, stuffing her face on the assorted meats and drinking enough wine to stumble her way back to her chambers, where he would take her… but those days were past. Possibly forever.

And then there was Agnes. He had come around to Alearde’s pleas and decided to allow her to remain in Anjou, with her bastard child. He had yet to inform her of his decision, though he would before he departed.

However, she was not in the hall now for this feast - barred as per her parents orders. Foulques had briefly wondered what would happen if she decided to test them, but Beatritz and Alearde had both assured him separately that Agnes was in no state to.

It was hardly a good feeling to know his daughter was alone, pregnant with his nephew’s bastard, and he had little power to do anything about it.

Foulques drank down his goblet of wine. He had half a mind to raise his levies and march on Duke Gilles. But such things would be frowned upon. Even if Philippe might excuse it, the rest of dukes, and possibly others, would not take kindly to it.

“Is this seat taken?”

Foulques looked up to see Aines smiling at him. He motioned for her to sit.

“You seem in deep thought,” she said.

“I return to troubling things,” he replied.

“Ah, that business,” Aines said. “The duchess has told me.”

“Of what?”

“Of your daughter,” Aines said. “Of the child your nephew put in her belly.”

“The duchess tells you such things?”

“I speak with her often,” Aines said. “We are family.”

Foulques scowled as he looked for more wine. Aines smiled and took his goblet, refilled it and then returned to him.

“You need not worry,” Aines said. “I have told no one. Not even my husband.”

Foulques took the goblet from her. “I am surprised.”

“You should not,” Aines said. “He seeks favor and cannot be trusted.”

“You would betray your husband in that manner?” Foulques asked.

“My husband has provided me with nothing,” Aines said. “You and the duchess have given us a home. You have graciously offered young Geoffrey to my Margaurite. I am no fool. I know where my loyalty must lay.”

“You hate your husband,” Foulques said.

“I think as little of him as he thinks of me,” Aines said. “Which is often the way of things in marriage.”

1087_Adhemar.jpg

Now it was Aines turn to gulp down a large helping of wine. “I admit, Duke Foulques, I am envious of you. God shows you favor.”

“You believe I am blessed?” Foulques asked.

“You do not?” Aines asked. “Look at all you have accomplished. You even fathered a son with my aunt, though most thought her too old to ever produce a child, let alone two. A boy who grows strong… and one day may be able call half the realm his own.

“Then I look at myself - for years I thought myself the future Duchess of Aquitaine. Then my brother is born, I am given a husband who cannot find his way to anything beside bending over to kiss the behinds of different lords, hoping they throw him scraps.”

Aines shuddered, finished off her wine and slammed the goblet down. “I was forced to marry a dog, not a man. A cruel, brutal dog, who hates his life and takes it out on me.”

“I am sorry to hear such things,” Foulques said. “You certainly deserve better.”

“But God deems I do not,” Aines said. “Which is why I find myself envious of you, and your family.”

“A dangerous thing to admit,” Foulques said. “Envy is a sin.”

Aines laughed. “I do not think you concern yourself with that - if my aunt is to be believed.”

Foulques shook his head. Beatritz was certainly chatty with her niece.

“I think you underestimate my part in achieving what I have,” Foulques said as he sipped his wine. “I was but a Count of Tours, the single county. Today I am the Duke of Anjou, ruler of five counties, some of which belonged to the King of the Bretons. I am the marshal of the King of the Franks, who has defeated the English when he was needed most. I did not wait for those things to be handed to me. I took them.”

“And you think God had nothing to do with any of that?” Aines asked.

“I would never say as much,” Foulques said. “But what is the expression our Lord Christ once said? God helps those who help themselves?”

Aines smirked. “I do not know if that is what Christ meant by such things. But then, I am no priest.”

She looked out and saw Adhemar. She bowed her head.

“I must leave you for now Duke Foulques,” she said. “Or my husband will think you aim to bed me. And I do not wish to promote such a thought.”

Foulques smiled as he watched her walk off, enjoying the sway of her hips as she did so. He did wish it, even if he would not.

For now, anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
poor child... I hope the Duke GIlles recognizes him/her

Reactions:
Poor Agnes -- a moment of indiscretion has utterly ruined her reputation. I'm glad to see Foulques has stayed his wrath, but there still remains the matter of what to do with the child...

I do wonder if Foulques has ever considered the contrast between his outrage at Gilles for bedding his daughter and his own unashamed pursuit of comely maidens and other men's wives, but I don't imagine he'd dwell long on it even if he did.

And I can't help but imagine Alearde smirking on the inside while she made that "agent in the husband's court" observation -- she just literally gave the game away, yet Foulques is too wrapped up in himself to put two and two together :p

Reactions:
Another lesson to Foulques at how fragile things are. I can understand his anger - because in part this strikes him very deeply. After all, what right does he really have to complain about men (or women) engaging in amorous pursuits? None. Knowing this - consciously or not - his anger is no surprise.

It would be better if he channelled it against Duke Gilles though, rather than against his own family.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Foulques' anger at Agnes with his attitude towards his own indiscretions. Very hypocritical by our standards, but on reflection I realised that he is not actually hypocritical by the standards of his own time. There is a genuine difference in that the bastards Foulques sires are actually potentially beneficial to the dynasty whereas Agnes behavior is clearly to its detriment.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques and his tendency to go back to war is what makes this chapter so great, we can clearly see here that despite being a talented warrior and strategist, he seems to be poor at handling the business of the realm being at peace. And damn! The drama continues with that bastard child growing in his daughter's belly! Quite a Casanova Foulques' nephew is turning out to be.

Reactions:
Well I have finally caught up this magnificent work after binge reading over the last 48 hours-no mean feat given how prolific the chapters. But so worth it as this tale merges intrigue, politics and a very realistic sense of the times whilst also cleaving pretty close to the vagaries of the game itself. No mean feat. You have crafted some fantastic characters too with scintillating and representative dialogue-I really believe in these characters and have noted not one misstep. Even an area that you consider yourself weak, battles, you have excelled in portraying. A magisterial work!

I look forward to where we go next. Foulques has aimed high indeed and one wonders what is next? Certainly his daughter was foolish in the extreme but something tells me she will do ok in the end. Whether I can feel the same for the impetuous, annoying Geoffrey, I cannot say but I look forward to the next chapters with relish.

Reactions: