• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 39 - July 1082
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 39
July 1082 - Anjou, France

“Again.”

Agnes d’Anjou frowned. But she did as she was told.

In Occitan, she said: “It is a lovely feast, my lord. I thank you for your hospitality.”

Duchess Beatritz did her best not roll her eyes - she was careful not to do that to Agnes with her ladies and servants around. Her daughter was growing into a talking, outgoing girl and she did not wish to harm that development. But the words that spewed from her mouth were cut by the unrefined Frankish tongue.

Such a manner had gotten her mocked, behind her back, while visiting Bordeaux. And, Beatritz suspected, the girl’s future may well lay in the south.

Thus, while there was never any question Agnes would be closer to her Frankish roots, the duchess swore to make her capable of performing a respectable job of passing if placed into her mother’s old world.

“Better,” Beatritz said.

While Agnes gave a smile, she always wished to please, Beatritz could see her daughter was tiring of this lesson. Thankfully, there were other ways to pass the time.

“Where is Etiennette?” Beatritz asked. “I wish to continue her lessons. Time grows short and I’ll not have you a woman grown served by a lady not fit for her duties.”

“She is with her mother,” Agnes said. “Shall I get her?”

For her sake, the sooner the better, Beatritz thought. Ermengarda was a cow of a woman, unrefined, uncouth and quick to spread her legs. Alearde had even told her that Ermengarda fancied Foulques himself, though at this time, the duke was uninterested.

1082_Ermengarda_fancies_Foulques.jpg

At this time, Beatritz reminded herself.

It was a shame the Karlings had fallen so far as to end up siring children with her, but, such was fate… even if it was amusing for Beatritz to sometimes think of what Charlemagne or Charles Martel might say upon seeing their descendent with a woman like her.

But the Karling blood and her friendship with Agnes would could help Etiennette strive to better. She could end up Agnes’ lady, or for someone else in court, maybe even marry a landed noble. With the right guidance… anyway.

Soon after Agnes departed the duchess’ chambers, Beatritz heard a knock on the door. It was Bishop Telent. She rose from her chair to acknowledge his presence.

“My lady,” Telent said. “Do you have a moment? There is a matter I wish to discuss, if you will let me.”

Beatritz caught the look of Alearde, but said nothing to her.

“What of it?” Beatritz asked.

“If you do not mind,” Telent began, “it would be better discussed in private.”

Again, Beatritz could feel Alearde’s stare on her.

“Of course,” Beatritz said. “Ladies.”

The women exited the chambers. As they did, Beatritz rubbed her nose and then blew into a cloth.

“Are you unwell, my lady?” Telent asked.

“It is nothing,” she responded. She poured them each some wine. “What is this matter you wish to discuss?”

“It is delicate business,” Telent said as he took the cup. “I even hesitate bringing it up, but… with your husband gone, I think now is the time.”

Beatritz raised an eyebrow. “Bishop Telent, my husband may be gone, but there remains just one Duke of Anjou. I merely follow his wishes in his stead. He remains here in all but body.”

Telent cracked a smile. “Of course my lady, but even should he have been here, there are some matters which require a more delicate touch.”

“Ah,” Beatritz said. “Your point is taken. Finesse is not the duke’s strength.”

She sat down and sipped her wine. “So what do you wish to speak to me about?”

Telent sat down opposite her. “My lady, do you ever wonder if, perhaps, we have lost our way?”

Beatritz cocked an eyebrow. “You… question my husband?”

“No!” Telent said. “My lord is not who I discuss. I mean… we, the church.”

“I cannot call myself an expert on such matters,” Beatritz said. “What do you mean?”

Telent sighed. “I look at my fellow priests… and then bishops and cardinals, even his eminence himself. I have begun to see wealth driving these men, more than their love of God. How can we hope to properly shepherd our flock if we are driven by the wrong reasons?”

Beatritz nodded. “I have seen some of what you say. But, what is to be done, beside you refusing to take part in those pursuits?”

“There are priests across Europe who are forsaking the church,” Telent said. “Specifically the ways of the Pope. They are taking vows of poverty, encouraging lay people to examine the teachings of Christ themselves. They call themselves Waldensians.”

Beatritz dropped her cup, it making a loud clang on the stone floor, the wine splashing up onto her dress.

“Oh!” she said. “I am sorry.”

“Are you feeling well my lady?” Telent asked.

“I… I am just surprised upon hearing such talk,” Beatritz said. “This is heresy. And… I do not understand why you would come to me with it.”

“We believe in strict adherence to the Bible,” Telent said. “I know you were upset over the duke’s… indiscretions. Such things are often allowed to let pass for men such as him now. Under our way, it would be different.”

Beatritz stared at the bishop for a moment. She got up and slowly made we way toward the wall. “You would have us abandon the church… such things would be a great risk to this family. To my children.”

“Perhaps it would be wise to not speak of it openly,” Telent said. “But practice in secret, telling those whom you can trust.”

1082_Bishop_Telent_goes_heretic.jpg

Beatritz dropped her cup again. This time it was empty.

“My lady,” Telent said. “I am concerned. You seem ill.”

“I am merely surprised,” Beatritz said. “And concerned. What you say troubles me.”

The door suddenly burst open and four guardsmen entered the room. Telent stumbled out of his chair and fell onto the floor, where he was grabbed and hauled up.

“What is this?” Telent demanded.

“I am sorry,” Beatritz said. “I have always thought well of you bishop and have sympathy to your plight. But this is not something I can follow you in. Nor can this family. Take him to the dungeons.”

“You can’t do this!” Telent shouted as he was hauled away. “You do not have the power! Unhand me, she is just the wife of the duke!”

Beatritz did not respond, instead picking up her cup and pouring herself a new cup of wine. She sipped it as Alearde quietly re-entered the room and closed the door behind her.

“Well done,” Beatritz said. “You were right about his heresy. And the use of the cup dropping twice to signal the guards, very smart.”

“I would not fail you, my lady,” Alearde said. “But what will you do with the servants he converted?”

“The local priests can speak to them,” Beatritz said. “I will insist they are not punished. Otherwise the well will run dry.”

“And the bishop?”

“I will leave him in the dungeons until my husband returns,” Beatritz said.

“Will the lord be upset you have removed him as court chaplain without his consent?” Alearde asked. “I know he is still sore after the death of… her.”

“I will appoint his courtier Louis,” Beatritz said. “Temporarily. He likes the man, and if he asks, I will say I did not feel comfortable appointing a successor, but also could not leave a heretic in the position. My husband’s anger on this matter will not outweigh his distaste for administration. He may still even let me appoint the Telent’s successor.”

1082_Louis_Court_Chaplain.jpg

The duchess drank down her wine and poured herself another glass. “As for his dead harlot, he is a fool. God has handed him a reprieve from his foolish decision - she is gone and his brother is too naive to see the truth about the child. It is a clean slate. He should be pleased.”

Alearde nodded. Beatritz eyed her.

“You think me cold to speak of her so.”

“It is your right,” Alearde said. “I understand your anger, my lady.”

“But you do not agree with it,” Beatritz said. “Or do you feel sympathy for him?”

Alearde shook her head. “I do not. But I wonder… do you hate him now?”

“Hate?” Beatritz asked. “Far from it. I was annoyed and angry. But hate? That I think is a foolish errand.”

“If you believe he wished to replace you,” Alearde said.

“He did not when he could have,” Beatritz said. “She wished to have my seat. And others at court did for her as well, I am sure. I have never been well-liked here, but am secure because I have given the duke a daughter and son and I happily do what he does not wish to. I did fear, with time, perhaps she could have garnered enough support to achieve her ends. But she did not receive enough time, and now she is gone. Gone forever!”

Beatritz raised her cup and drank down the contents, the smile as wide as her face as she finished.

“Life will never be perfect, my dear,” Beatritz said Alearde. “If it were, I would have been married when I was younger than you are now, and the mother of a brood of healthy children like my sister-in-law, in a court to the south where I do not have to hear the harsh way they speak here, with a husband who thought of me like a queen.

“But we cannot let perfect be the enemy of good. I am a wife, I do have two healthy children, and while I am not in the south, I sit in a court where I just threw a bishop of the church into the dungeons, knowing my husband will abide by my decision, as he has with countless others in the past. I do not think even my late sister, the Empress, could claim that.”

“You have certainly accomplished a great deal, my lady,” Alearde said.

Beatritz awkwardly hefted her heavy body out of the chair and embraced Alearde tightly.

“And I could not have done it without your help,” Beatritz said. “You have been my eyes when I have none. My ears in places I could not hear. And at my request, you have counselled me on how best to keep secrets and read others. I would look upon you with a similar love I have for my own daughter.”

And then Beatritz saw something she did not expect, having never truly seen it before. Alearde’s eyes began to well up with tears.

“My lady… I have… such words are too kind for me,” she stammered. “I am your faithful servant but I am not worthy of love that strong.”

Beatritz shook her head. “I would tell your mother no different. She raised a fine woman.”

Alearde wiped the tears from her eyes. “I thank you, my lady. But I should leave you. It is not right for you to see me in this state. And Lady Agnes and young Etiennette will be here shortly for their lesson.”

Beatritz placed her hands on Alearde’s delicate shoulders and looked her directly in the eye. “We do what we must to survive and thrive in this world that is unfriendly to us. Feel no guilt for what you have done and continue to do, dear. ”

Alearde hugged Beatritz as tightly as the duchess had her, and then quickly left the chambers, sniffling on her way. Meanwhile the duchess poured herself some water and sat down once more.

If she were noble born, with her beauty and skills, she could have been the most dangerous woman in the realm
, Beatritz said. Thankfully, she was not.

There was a knock on the door, followed by Agnes and the pudgy Etiennette entered.

Beatritz stared at her daughter once more. A smile came to the duchess' face and an idea quickly blossomed in her mind.

“Agnes, I think I have found you a new teacher.”

1082_Alearde_tutors_Agnes.jpg

Note: Forgot the note! So from what I looked up, the Waldensian heresy did not appear in real life for around another 100 years, but since the game went with it, there wasn't much I could do. I thought about simply not naming it, but the screenshot includes it, so... I followed along. Not as major in some ways as infants teleporting hundreds of miles in an instant but still likely annoying to some.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The duchess continues to fascinate. She is one whom always seems to remain in control despite everything that goes wrong (and the obvious deficiencies of being the 'wrong' gender in the Middle Ages and being married to a powerful lord whom can get away with anything short of treason...for now).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder is she knows about Alearde, but minds not given her servants low status.

More personal matters aside, this is further evidence Beatriz and Foulques do make a good team.

Reactions:
Beatritz rubbed her nose and then blew into a cloth.

If she were noble born, with her beauty and skills, she could have been the most dangerous woman in the realm

The only real question in my mind is if pneumonia gets her first, or if Alearde is merely the most dangerous woman in the duchy. o_O Beatritz *is* about 55 now. No such thing as a mere sniffle at that age.

I sense an eligible Lords and Ladies of the Realm update coming, and not just for Agnes and Geoffrey. Beatritz and Foulques do make a great team, but her life expectancy is dropping rapidly at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, there's nothing preventing Waldensians from existing early right after unpausing, so there's no need for any magical explanations there.

Aléarde might have taught Beatritz too good how to read secrets and keep her own ;).

Reactions:
Waldesian heresies so early and so north? this is going to be really interesting

• 1Like
Reactions:
Recently there seems to be many AARs going round where France goes complete off the wall and either collapses or starts doing random things. A nice change of pace from the usual Monsieur Blobby effect.

Reactions:
The duchess continues to fascinate. She is one whom always seems to remain in control despite everything that goes wrong (and the obvious deficiencies of being the 'wrong' gender in the Middle Ages and being married to a powerful lord whom can get away with anything short of treason...for now).

I've tried my best to make Beatritz into a force to be reckoned with - a development from here rather meek beginnings. I like having powerful female characters, but I think as I analyzed everything that happened to this point (and beyond), it made me want to focus on her importance. Foulques has achieved much in a relatively short time, and in retrospect, Beatritz is a very large reason why.

I wonder is she knows about Alearde, but minds not given her servants low status.

More personal matters aside, this is further evidence Beatriz and Foulques do make a good team.

Good on you to notice! That question of what Beatritz knows is something I deliberately left ambiguous.

And yes, Foulques and Beatritz actually compliment each other very well. A very key point for the future. ;)

The only real question in my mind is if pneumonia gets her first, or if Alearde is merely the most dangerous woman in the duchy. o_O Beatritz *is* about 55 now. No such thing as a mere sniffle at that age.

I sense an eligible Lords and Ladies of the Realm update coming, and not just for Agnes and Geoffrey. Beatritz and Foulques do make a great team, but her life expectancy is dropping rapidly at this point.

I want to nod with about everything you said in this comment. You read the situation well. Beatritz is getting up there and will not be around forever. And Foulques had best choose wisely when the time comes.

Well, there's nothing preventing Waldensians from existing early right after unpausing, so there's no need for any magical explanations there.

Aléarde might have taught Beatritz too good how to read secrets and keep her own ;).

It was more in real life they didn't exist yet, but yeah the game doesn't have that limitation.

As for Alearde... there's more there than meets the eye.

Waldesian heresies so early and so north? this is going to be really interesting

So far, I don't think it has spread too much. (Though I admit, I haven't check the religious tab, so I'm not sure). I kind of wish he had gone Cathar though - might have been interesting to sell Beatritz on the idea that she could A. have more power and B. make it more likely Agnes would be in position to inherit if something happened to Geoffrey.

Recently there seems to be many AARs going round where France goes complete off the wall and either collapses or starts doing random things. A nice change of pace from the usual Monsieur Blobby effect.

You don't know how sad I am every time I see the map of France in "The Rightful King." But this France is a bit different. It seems like it yo-yos between looking like it could start to steamroll to appearing as if it will split at the seams. And since, at least with Foulques, I'm not outrightly trying to seize the Frankish throne, I have no idea how it will end up.

Next update will be out in a little bit. As usual, thanks for all the comments, feedback and speculation!

Reactions:
Chapter 40 - April 1083
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 40

April 1083 - Tudela, Navarre

Foulques and Geoffrey de Semur sat in the command tent, sipping wine in silence, as they had been since the duke’s brother in law had arrived a little while before.

There was nothing to talk about.

This war had been one long waiting game. Waiting out the forces in Pamplona. Waiting out the forces in Leyre. And now they were waiting out Tudela.

“I think we have acquitted ourselves well,” de Semur said, breaking the silence. "We have taken the keep, and the bishopric. Won a battle. Such actions should be looked upon with pride, my lord."

Foulques looked at him. Pride? The dimwitted, inbred son of the weakest Karling king could have done as well, he thought.

“Yes,” he said, barely able to hide his contempt.

It was all so disappointing. He had hoped Navarre would muster a stronger challenge to Guilhem, but under their child king’s regency, the kingdom had been mostly resorting to raiding Aquitaine and Gascony and little else.

1083_King_Egidio_of_Navarre.jpg

Those forces were marshaled under Gartzia Antsez, an interesting figure to Foulques as he was both the bastard brother to the child king and betrothed to the child queen of Castille. And, to make matters more fascinating, he was reputedly very skilled as a warrior on the battlefield.

The challenge was appealing enough for Foulques to drop his siege of Leyre in pursuit of Antsez. It had taken a little while, but Foulques had cornered him. And Antsez’s forces had fought well - but were overwhelmed by a force that outnumbered his some eight-to-one.

1082_Bastard_Gartzia.jpg

1082_Battle_of_Tartas.jpg

And that was it. Foulques found himself back around the Navarre capital soon after, once more hurling cow carcasses at walls and waiting for ill-prepared garrisons to surrender.

Meanwhile, it appeared things were happening elsewhere. Beatritz had written to him of Bishop Telent’s heresy, and her response. The duke was mildly annoyed at her presumption on how to handle the situation, and briefly pondered ordering something different.

But in the end, he found the task more tedious than siege warfare, so he let it be. If he pleased, he could do it after the war was concluded, with others to help him, even if Beatritz were not among them.

He also learned he would not have to deal with his half-brother as the Duke of Burgundy. Count Guy’s rebellion against Hugues, aiming to install Robert as the duke, had failed.

It had grown contentious in Burgundy, with Hugues removing Simon, Foulques' other half-brother, as a commander during the conflict. And rumors spread that Hugues quarreled with Robert, questioning his ties to the Count of Macon. But in the end, Hugues had won, and whatever ill-feelings Robert harbored toward his nephew would have to remain buried.

1082_Count_Guy.jpg

1082_Hugues_wins_war.jpg

Meanwhile, the north, King Philippe’s war with the English continued to slowly move forward as he now held complete control of the county of Eu. However, there promised some potential interest soon, as there was talk the English king Godwine had managed to muster enough of a force to sail across the channel and challenge the Frankish king in battle.

Yet what interested Foulques most, and possibly why he felt so frustrated here, was that Godfrey had managed to secure the claim he wanted.

Godfrey had written late in the fall that he had managed to gain enough backing in Vannes against the young Countess Sulgwen that Foulques could now attack and hope to gain control of the land.

And he felt an increasing urgency to do so. After all, that Foulques had gained such a claim was not a secret, and spymaster Baudouin had passed along information suggesting those in the court of King Konan of Brittany were pressing their king to move before Foulques did - either by convincing Sulgwen's regent to submit to his vassalage… or force them to if they refused.

Konan could not at the moment - he was fighting a rebellion just to keep his throne. But who knew how long that situation might last?

1082_Godfrey_gets_Vannes_claim.jpg

1083_King_Konan_Brittany_Revolt.jpg

But Vannes was not Navarre, leaving Foulques to sit in his tent and spend sleepless nights wondering if his chance was slowly slipping through his fingers.

Foulques glanced up as he heard the rustle near the entrance of the tent. It was Amaury. The duke offered him a seat, and a cup.

“I have news, my lord,” Amaury said, not sitting.

“Has the child-king surrendered yet, so that we may all finally return home?” Foulques asked. “Or perhaps Guilhem has decided the moon requires us venture deep into a forest to find the great wolf?”

“No, my lord. It concerns the duchess,” Amaury said. “She has taken ill. They say it is severe.”

1083_Beatrtiz_severely_ill.jpg

Foulques was out of his chair and in the face of the knight in an instant.

“What ails her? What does the nun say?” Foulques demanded.

“When this message was sent, she was confined to her bed, too weak to rise,” Amaury said. “Her fever was very high and the court was concerned for her survival. Adalmode has been doing her best to cool her, giving her much water. I think it may hurt more than help…”

“But you are no doctor,” Foulques said. “The nun has served me faithfully since I became duke. And she herself lives to an old age. I trust in her wisdom.”

“Of course my lord,” Amaury said. “I did not mean to question you.”

1083_Beatritz_needs_treatment.jpg

Foulques stood in silence. Technically he should not depart Navarre until the job was done - he would be acting in bad faith with his brother-in-law if he did.

But this war had grown tiresome. And he had done his part. If Guilhem could not finish it from here, then he did not deserve victory.

And of course, there was Vannes. He wished to get home and prepare to make war on the county as soon as possible.

“Prepare the men to depart,” Foulques said. “We have done enough. We make for Anjou. Send word to Duke Guilhem we are leaving.”

Amaury and de Semur traded glances at one another, before the latter spoke.

“Will Duke Guilhem not be angry over your decision?” de Semur asked.

“We have won battles, and taken the holdings of the King of Navarre, including the keep where he would reside,” Foulques said. “The war is won. If he wishes to squabble with me over leaving, especially while his own sister may be dying, he will look the selfish fool.”

There was no argument from the knights.

In truth, they were all tired of this conflict, Foulques knew. And now they had reason to leave it.

1083_Status_of_war_in_Navarre.jpg

-----

Note: Honestly, this chapter reflects a bit of frustration with this war. It really was nothing but waiting for keeps and towns to fall. I wanted to write a harrowing battle against Gartzia, but I couldn't even justify that based on how large of an edge Foulques had going into the battle. The fact this update covered just under a year of gameplay and was still pretty short, kind of tells you all you need to know about how exciting this conflict was. If this was a dull bit to read, I am sorry. Thankfully, there will be much more dramatic updates in the future!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sure, all that waiting must be frustrating for a wrathful and impulsive man like the duke. But he is, after all, also a siege leader, so he should be happy that it takes less time than one could expect.

Understandable that he looks for a real prize other than sacking some half-starved Basque keeps.

Reactions:
Not dull to read at all - grimly amusing with the reference to the cow carcasses.

As soon as we learned the news I knew what Foulques response would be - there is a complicated relationship there, and a very deep one.

Is this the moment life starts to turn sour, I wonder.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, the alliance with Guilhem has just about reached the end of it's useful life span in any case and might be more trouble than it is worth at this point. There are 2 children that can be betrothed for the sake of the dynasty, and Foulques himself potentially sooner rather than later. He doesn't seem to be above using anyone and anything he can to further his ambitions, so I'm not expecting him to make or keep any promises to Alearde regardless of his feelings for her.

Edit: I had to check to be sure, and determined that we've not seen a screenshot of Foulques and his traits since 1066, so all I have to go on is ambitious, greedy, envious, deceitful, and arbitrary. Just based on that, I don't think that he's going to be standing by anyone once they are no longer of any use to him. And a maidservant lover that hasn't produced any progeny at all, in 10 years, isn't very high on the list of useful objects.

Last edited:
Reactions:
great battles would come... I am sure... big battles like the one Caesar fought in Gaul or the East....

Reactions:
Honestly I can't say I blame Foulques for leaving, given that it's "all over but the shouting," as they say. And if Guilhem gets upset, well, didn't he pull that trick himself during a much more pivotal moment in one of Foulques's conflicts? One good turn deserves another ;)

The flu in Anjou is grave news indeed, and not just for Beatriz -- historically, influenza has caused some of the deadliest pandemics in history, including the infamous "Spanish Flu" as late as 1918.

Reactions:
Sure, all that waiting must be frustrating for a wrathful and impulsive man like the duke. But he is, after all, also a siege leader, so he should be happy that it takes less time than one could expect.

Understandable that he looks for a real prize other than sacking some half-starved Basque keeps.

Yes, I was glad he managed to develop that trait. Made this war move just a little faster. The good news for Foulques is with Navarre in the past, he can look to a more exciting future. (and there will be some excitement for him in the coming years)

Not dull to read at all - grimly amusing with the reference to the cow carcasses.

As soon as we learned the news I knew what Foulques response would be - there is a complicated relationship there, and a very deep one.

Is this the moment life starts to turn sour, I wonder.

Glad you enjoyed it, given my concerns!

I think you see where I've hinted at where/why Foulques life will go downhill a bit. And the reasons why I think he will have struggles in his future. But as for if the downturn is coming now, I can't say. ;)

Well, the alliance with Guilhem has just about reached the end of it's useful life span in any case and might be more trouble than it is worth at this point. There are 2 children that can be betrothed for the sake of the dynasty, and Foulques himself potentially sooner rather than later. He doesn't seem to be above using anyone and anything he can to further his ambitions, so I'm not expecting him to make or keep any promises to Alearde regardless of his feelings for her.

Edit: I had to check to be sure, and determined that we've not seen a screenshot of Foulques and his traits since 1066, so all I have to go on is ambitious, greedy, envious, deceitful, and arbitrary. Just based on that, I don't think that he's going to be standing by anyone once they are no longer of any use to him. And a maidservant lover that hasn't produced any progeny at all, in 10 years, isn't very high on the list of useful objects.

Personality wise, aside from losing envy right after his daughter was born, Foulques has been largely the same. All those other traits remain and he has wroth, which I've kept him to being more emotional rather than purely violent.

It's hard for me to comment on Alearde without spoiling, so I can't say much. But... you speculation definitely has some merit (as you'll start to see in the next update), even if Foulques does remain taken with her, which makes her more valuable to him than perhaps she should be.

great battles would come... I am sure... big battles like the one Caesar fought in Gaul or the East....

I promise you, and Foulques, there is a great battle in his future. Though it may well be a case of "be careful what you wish for."

Honestly I can't say I blame Foulques for leaving, given that it's "all over but the shouting," as they say. And if Guilhem gets upset, well, didn't he pull that trick himself during a much more pivotal moment in one of Foulques's conflicts? One good turn deserves another ;)

The flu in Anjou is grave news indeed, and not just for Beatriz -- historically, influenza has caused some of the deadliest pandemics in history, including the infamous "Spanish Flu" as late as 1918.

Yeah, there really wasn't much left to do - and this is not nearly as bad as Foulques actions in the Aquitaine rebellion, when he basically strung Guilhem along but never contributed. Here I'd say he did the majority of the work, and for a pretty worthless war, aside from boosting Guilhem's prestige and coffers.

Flu is bad and Beatritz got a severe case. I thought she might not make it, but... well you'll see in the next update.

Which follows shortly! This update and the next were easy to write, which is good because the one that follows these two will be harder. As usual, thanks for all the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 41 - September 1083
Before Plantagenet- Chapter 41
September 1083 - Anjou, France

Foulques looked at her with some apprehension.

She did not appear as she should. After all, he had grown used to Beatritz’s more corpulent form, her gluttony, slothfulness, combined with birthing two children had conspiring to make her grow fat in her advancing years.

The duchess was certainly not thin now, but she had shrunken quite a bit over the last few months. Her dresses hung much looser off her frame - her skin sagged a bit as well. Her hair, completely white, now thinned. Her eyes were a bit sunken.

Yes, it should not have been unexpected, given she was 57 years. But for the first time since he had married her, Foulques could not help and see Beatritz as old.

And for some reason, it frightened him.

“You do not need to attend this meeting,” he told her. “It is important you rest.”

“I have rested for months,” Beatritz said, her voice raspy.

“Because you needed it,” Foulques said. “Adalmode believes that flu nearly took you. Given your age…”

Beatritz’s gaze fixed on him. For a moment, he could see the strength of will return to her.

“She also believes I am through the worst. And yes, I am old,” Beatritz said. “So old that I should lay here and wait for death to arrive?”

“I do not wish for him to arrive at all,” Foulques said. “Which is why I suggest as I do.”

“He is coming regardless,” Beatritz said. “But I do not feel he is coming today. Which is why I rise. And because you plan war. And if I am to serve as regent once more, I must be there at your council meeting.”

Foulques smiled and kissed her forehead. Then he helped her to her feet.

1083_Beatritz_successful_treatment.jpg

Slowly, they made their way to Foulques’ strategy hall. They walked arm and arm - it was deception of course - Beatritz needed the assistance to move. It was hardly the first time either but the pair had grown proficient at hiding her weakness. Or at least that is what Foulques believed - he had not had the will to ask Alearde what others truly thought of the duchess’ condition.

Upon arriving in the hall, Beatritz pulled away from her husband and motioned for him to move forward without her. With some caution he did, but she slowly trudged in behind, in full sight of the other councilors, who were gathered for the meeting. They lowered their heads as the pair entered. She managed to make it to a chair, and sat down.

“Let us not waste any time,” Foulques said as he arrived at the long table, the map still laid on it. It had changed much over the years - what with the expansion into Vendome and Nantes. And now, Foulques aimed to alter it once more.

“Has Duke Guilhem responded to our overtures?” Foulques asked.

Godfrey nodded. “He seems favorable, my lord. It appears he understands your reasoning for departing the siege of Tudela and said he prays his sister returns to good health soon.”

“You may pass along to my brother that I am in health,” Beatritz said. “And that I thank him for his prayers.”

Godfrey smirked and nodded. Foulques did the same.

In truth, he doubted Guilhem was even needed. Countess Sulgwen, by herself, stood no chance against Anjou. But with the war in Navarre now done, and Foulques still frustrated by what a waste of time it proved to be, he was not going to let Guilhem off easy in his obligations.

1083-_Aquitaine_wins_war_against_Navarre.jpg

And besides, Foulques thought to himself, how much longer will I be able to call on the old man anyway?

“Do we have wish to summon the Count of Charolais? Or Evreux?” steward Guilhem asked.

“No,” Foulques said. “They will not be needed.”

With William of Evreux part of the war with Philippe, Foulques doubted he would answer the call anyway. And Foulques had grown a bit suspicious of the Count of Charolais, given the rumors that his murder of the Duke of Toulouse was done at the behest of Duke Hugues.

I do not need Hugues meddling in something that should be straightforward
, Foulques thought.

“What of King Philippe?” Foulques asked Godfrey. “Has he been informed?”

“Yes, my lord,” Godfrey said. “The king passes along his approval, and his best wishes in your adventure. He says he has no doubt you will have little issue in dealing with a child.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze. Always a biting comment from the king. He imagined Philippe passing along the remark, full-on smile plastered from ear to ear.

Perhaps he had said the same to Duke Guilhem’s emissaries when he left to attack Navarre, though Foulques doubted the king would have said it to his face for fear it might be bitten off on the next full moon.

But then, perhaps Philippe had right to be confident. His war with England continued to do well despite the setback of losing Duke Etienne of Champagne to smallpox, who was succeeded in his duchy by his young brother Philipp.

1083_Duke_Etienne_died.jpg

1083_Philipp_of_Blois.jpg

In his place rode the Duke of Berry, who had won Philippe a smashing victory over King Godwine’s newly assembled force when the armies met in Rouen.

The result was not only victory for the Franks, but Godwine himself had fallen in battle, attempting to rally his men. The English were once more in disarray, and their armies forced to fall back and regroup.

1083_-_King_Godwine_killed_in_battle.jpg

Foulques had heard rumors Robert of Normandy demanded to be installed king - arguing his armies could turn the tide back toward England’s favor.

The Saxon dukes would not hear him.

Instead, they had recently chosen Aelfmaer, who was the Duke of Hwicce… and had but one county to his name. Supposedly, Robert had stormed from the gathering, swearing England would be ruined by their stubbornness.

1083-_King_Aelfmer.jpg

More than likely, it would be Robert ruined
, Foulques knew, as he remembered Philippe’s desire to take Normandy for his own demesne.

“Then we are ready to proceed,” Foulques said. “All in favor of the motion to declare war upon Countess Sulgwen and rightfully add the county of Vannes to Anjou?”

All of the council raised their hands. Times had certainly changed from the days of Andre and his obstinance.

1083_Declare_war_on_Sulgwen.jpg

“It is settled,” Foulques said. “Leon, raise the levies. And as before, Duchess Beatritz will resume her role as regent in my absence. Should she be unable to perform her duties, Mayor Guilhem will assist her.”

The council nodded and Foulques ended the meeting.

There was one more order of business however, one that required the spymaster Baudouin, and greater privacy than the strategy hall could provide. Thus a few minutes later, Foulques and Beatritz had relocated to a small chamber, where the spymaster soon joined him.

“I assume,” Baudouin began, “this is over the matter of Mayor Uther of Guerande?”

Foulques nodded. The Breton mayor of the town in Nantes opposed his efforts to change the succession law in the duchy. He was but the only one who did - well, aside from Bishop Telent, who remained in the dungeons.

“We cannot have the progress of Anjou held up by an obstinate Breton,” Beatritz said. “If he cannot be made to see reason, he must be dealt with.”

Baudouin nodded. “I have a plan afoot, my lord and lady. Steward Guilhem and Renaud of Saumur will invite him to a small council of mayors. There, they and Alearde will take care of the matter.”

“Alearde?” Foulques asked. “Are you certain that is wise?”

“She is quite good at such matters,” Baudouin said. "Easy on the eye, but very skilled at what needs to be done."

“I recommended her,” Beatritz said. “We can afford no failures in this and must send our best. For the sake of our children, to ensure they are as strong as possible.”

Foulques lowered her gaze. He could not rebut such an argument. He loved Alearde yes, but his children came first.

“Take care of it as you see fit,” Foulques said.

Baudouin nodded. He then slipped from the room, leaving Foulques and Beatritz alone.

1083_-_Kill_the_Mayor.jpg

“You have been busy,” he told her. “Even while ill. It is impressive.”

Beatritz gave him a smile. “I have worked hard for this. I would not squander it.”

“No,” Foulques said. “You would not.”

“There is one more matter,” Beatritz said. “My niece, Aines writes me.”

Foulques felt his stomach clench for a moment.

“What did she say?”

“She wished me good health,” Beatritz said.

“Sweet girl, she is,” Foulques replied.

Beatritz laughed. “Yes, and after she finished sending me her prayers, she inquired about the availability of young Geoffrey. She made mention of her daughter Margaurite as a potential match.”

Foulques nodded. “She did the same when I met her in Bordeaux.”

“She mentioned as much,” Beatritz said. “And that you were not opposed.”

“I have done little thinking on such matters,” Foulques said.

“I have noticed,” Beatritz replied. “As our daughter remains without a marriage betrothal.”

“I am in little rush to send her away,” Foulques said. “I have seen the mistake your brother made with Aines. I look for a good match.”

“No, you do not look at all,” Beatritz said. “But if you like, I will seek unions for both our children.”

“Such things will be taxing,” Foulques said. “I do not wish for you to push yourself. Given your health, running the duchy will be enough.”

“I would do much for my children, husband,” Beatritz said. “It is no bother.”

Foulques shook his head. But he knew full well she would go about exploring things regardless of his approval. He may as well do his best to limit it, lest she try to overreach herself.

“You may explore,” Foulques said. “But that is all you shall do. I do not want even a negotiation to begin without me present.”

“Of course, husband,” Beatritz said. “I would not think of making such a big decision without your consent on the matter.”

No, you would merely make the decision and then convince me it was my idea
, Foulques thought. But, he could not bring himself to be angry at the moment. Looking at her brought again the reality their time together was growing short.

And despite his feelings at different points in the marriage, it was not something he looked forward to.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yes - despite all Beatriz has been the rock upon which Foulques' adult life has been formed around. Without that marriage, nothing else that has happened follows. Then there is familiarity, comradeship, and just the experience of having one's life entwined with another.

And there is nothing Foulques can really do.

A great lord, a man of war and praised for such, impotent.

As for Beatriz, she clearly know it too, but is more phlegmatic. Or appears to be so. She has also had a good deal more grounded sense than he.

One wonders though about this play with Alearde. It could be just as she says .. or otherwise.

Reactions:
Looks like the Saxons are soon being confined to their island again. While Foulques deals with a child and Beatritz with two in a different way.

The council meeting reminded me of the unfortunate Chancellor. What is Andre up to nowadays? Vanished out of existence?

Reactions:
Poor Beatriz...

Reactions:
Yes - despite all Beatriz has been the rock upon which Foulques' adult life has been formed around. Without that marriage, nothing else that has happened follows. Then there is familiarity, comradeship, and just the experience of having one's life entwined with another.

And there is nothing Foulques can really do.

A great lord, a man of war and praised for such, impotent.

As for Beatriz, she clearly know it too, but is more phlegmatic. Or appears to be so. She has also had a good deal more grounded sense than he.

One wonders though about this play with Alearde. It could be just as she says .. or otherwise.

You read it all right. They have been together for 17 years in game terms. (Not bad, given her age when they married) She's been good for Foulques in a lot of ways, though in some ways she has limited him - he's come to rely on her for almost everything administrative, rather than forcing himself to learn the drudgery. It's something that could easily hamper him, should he not find a proper compliment in the future.

Looks like the Saxons are soon being confined to their island again. While Foulques deals with a child and Beatritz with two in a different way.

The council meeting reminded me of the unfortunate Chancellor. What is Andre up to nowadays? Vanished out of existence?

The Saxons are not done yet. Beaten perhaps, but not defeated. That is all I'll say for now. ;)

Yeah, Andre died. I had no screenshot of it, since he was lowborn and unattached. I thought about giving him a grand final scene at some point, but I decided he had kind of faded away and would have likely died in anonymity. Perhaps I could do a side scene with him by himself, alone.

Poor Beatriz...

Yes, I feel for Beatritz quite a bit. She has done well for herself, but, slight spoilers, there are more hardships in her future.

The next update follows shortly. It is an important one, as you'll see when you read it. As always, thanks for all the questions and comments - I enjoy reading every single one.

Reactions: