• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And so… if it pleases your fathers, my lord and lady, we would simply state the duel was fairly agreed upon, with both men showing honor and class,” the grandmaster said. “While we do not agree it should have happened, we do not assign blame to either man. We shall state we have been received with nothing but honor by your father, Duke Geoffrey, and so too yourself, my lord and lady.”

Translation:

We're pretty sure you and your dad are our best shot at securing a land route to santiago. We want in and we want permission to have our hospitals on the route when you win it, and in the meantime fight with us to recliam it.

The holy orders are going to become increasingly important, especially because there isnt going to be a powerful france to rein them in. Hmm...I guess England is going to be the other big catholic power, outside the HRE. Unless of course, Big Boss G does something amazing in Iberia.

I also really like the new, non vice-filled (soon to be pox-filled) scion of the Anjou line.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Much happened in this chapter but above all I’m liking the thrust of Foulques’ character and indeed the emergent love between he and his Saxon bride. Well played sir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques emerges the winner from this exchange. He has already won a major victory his uncle and namesake has not: victory over himself and potential excesses. He wields the sword boldly but judiciously - in battle and in the boudoir! ;)

I can well imagine Geoffrey’s anger here is not feigned: he hates nothing more than one of his complicated plans being endangered by the recklessness of others. Add to that what he would feel is a brother who portrays some of (as he would see it) the worst excesses of his father.

And you had nothing to worry about in this scene - as presented, anyway. Up to the usual high standard, with some suspense thrown into the duel without it crossing into cheesy melodrama. As Foulques might say (inappropriately) to Aubry: I’ve got to hand it to you! :rolleyes::D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques the younger is a warrior, no doubt he will conquer many more Kingdoms, the question is: Christian Kingdoms or as a Crusader? I put my money on the second choise

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques has a lot from his grandfather, but differs in other aspects quite radically. He's blunt and a warrior, but we've already seen that he's more pious and that he's not chasing skirts (though it is quite possible that this will change in the future :p)).

And again we see Geoffrey's greatest weakness, if one might call it like that. Whenever he loses control, he also loses control of himself. That Foulquesson episode may not have bigger consequences thanks to Michael and Æthelræda, but other things might. Perhaps it will cause a war in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My biggest takeaway from this chapter is that there is merely a boy in between Aethelreda and a crown. With the Queen jailed there is opportunity for some mischief. Mostly, no doubt, by the Conquerors brood, since you are otherwise occupied at the moment, but things in England could certainly get dicey soon.

A good start to the war, though things never are as easy as they appear.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I rather like the young Foulques. There is certainly a degree of mythologising about his grandfather, and a brashness about him, but both are tempered by some good sense. He sits in the regal chair, but does not have his feet on the table. He also shows a clear awareness of his father, that does not seem to be overly clouded - no more than a child's awareness of a parent is ever clouded at least.

I find it interesting here we see another facet of Geoffrey's weakness - of his failure to control people around him. Geoffrey is a man of words, and always has been, but he lives in a world where steel is most eloquent. One feels that the young Foulques is better able to bridge that divide. Not always - his words fail him here when it comes to Aubry, but seem good with his wife. All in all a most interesting set of vignettes.

He seems like a pretty good, earnest young man, eager for a chance to live up to his name. I think here we see the unrefined aspects of his teachers clash together, his grandfather's brash and blunt ways curtailed by the voice of his father who tells him appearances are so much more of the battle. Of course, it works better when he can sit and think - when it's reflex, he is much more his namesake than his father.

A good read on Geoffrey's inability to curtail those around him - something that no doubt grates him more because of the how he is unable to. I bet he thought he left that behind when his father died!

The last bit on Foulques analyzing his parents was something I debated living in or not, but I thought it worthwhile. He's seen his parents separated, and he sees them now. But as their son, he has been allowed to see more than others. It gives him insight that few in Geoffrey's inner circle have, even the likes of Agnes, Alias, and others who may "know" the pair, but not like their eldest son does.

I'm glad you liked them. I had a specific reason for it all, one that I'll reveal soon enough. And it's why I really wanted them to come out right.

Surprising that the younger Foulques does not seem to have inherited his grandfather's or father's lustful habits. Saying that, he's young, the AI tends to change his short list of traits with time.

There is time! And he's AI controlled, so, he could pick up a lover (even without the seduction focus) without my knowledge or consent. And all the Angevins seem to do it, so...

Foulques the younger seems quite mature for his age and less prone to outbursts than his father and uncle - an oddity within his family. Geoffrey will probably need him to help keep the so-called independence alliance from falling apart.

Foulques is interesting because of his upbringing. Favored by all, but also left at arm's length by circumstance to all of his family, except his grandfather in a lot of ways. It leaves him eager to impress, and he knows what it will take to impress his father. He's not great at it though. the good news for Foulques is his father kind of knows that as well, and seeks to aid him when he can.

Suffice to say, there was no way Foulques was going to that camp without his wife. (If she wasn't present, Geoffrey probably would have accompanied Foulques himself)

Young Foulques takes after his namesake grandfather, being much more adept with his sword than his tongue. The Iron Duke, of course, had the dubious advantage of being able to speak his mind without caring whom he offended; young Foulques here, however, seems to want to say the right thing to smooth things over but is entirely too prone to sticking his foot in his mouth with a poorly-chosen phrase. (“...Your name carries weight, even if your hand does not.”: I actually legitimately cringed when I read that.) He should count himself lucky that he has a wife like Æthelræda who is both prudent and shrewd enough to smooth things over for him.

Foulquesson, meanwhile, seems to take after the Iron Duke in a much darker way -- he seems to take a none-too-healthy pleasure in hurting those who go against him. True, Aubry was in the wrong to provoke him (especially by saying that...), but Foulquesson lost the high ground by toying with someone who was clearly outmatched (and though crippling him may have been accidental, I can't imagine that he's going to be losing any sleep over it).

Geoffrey's outburst at Foulquesson seems a bit uncharacteristic at first blush -- but then, we know Geoffrey almost never chooses his actions without some ulterior motive. I can't help but think that he might have been deliberately trying to channel his own father in that scene. Likewise, I can't help but wonder if the whole point of sending Foulques to Aubry was not to smooth things over with the prince per se, but rather to have Æthelræda present in the camp to do the real damage control...

I'm glad that hand line came off well. His diplomatic score is bad, but doesn't really have any boorish or rude traits, so I just interpret it as him just not able to go without sticking his foot in his mouth. Ideally, Foulques would one day be able be powerful enough to not have to worry as much about such things, but it certainly helps to have someone in Æthelræda who can mitigate that weakness.

Foulquesson does have the cruel trait, which is part of why it fit what happened. I'd like to say I came up with it, but ultimately, that's just what happened in game. But I do imagine he's sore of being passed over and anyone who openly dismisses him, like Aubry, is going to feel that temper.

You are correct to read that Geoffrey rarely ever says something that doesn't have greater meaning. He is prone to moments of real anger, and this certainly tapped into that, but the fact this is something he does not display often makes it all the more effective. Foulquesson is a brash, hot-headed teenager who thinks himself a great warrior, a simple scolding likely would have been dismissed.

As noted above, Foulques was sent with purpose - the friendship is useful. But Geoffrey was never sending him alone. He would have gone otherwise. Æthelræda made for a convenient tool to use.

Hmmm occitan might do as long as the lord is an interesting character (kidding I don't wanto to influence your story in the least let it go whatever way you feel ;).)

Hmmm, Foulquesson and Foulques will make for an inyeresting pair, having grown up together, in my opinion. Two warriors to further aggrandise their grandfather's legacy we'll have to keep an eye on them.

Also we might be getting a Foulques/Betritz dynamic again, since Foulques and Æthelræda seem to complement each other quite well.

And lastly how come the English queen is in Tunis?? And what's with the pagan invasion?? I got a bit lost on that one if I'm honest and I don't find any info on where those wars came from. Is the viking schooltrip a prepped invasion or did they manage to reform the faith without me noticing?? Cause in the 1066 bookmark that would be quite the feat.

Influence happens when I read comments! So don't worry about it. ;)

The two have a friendly rivalry over that true heir, but it probably helps their relationship that Foulques is heir to things Foulquesson simply cannot be - Aquitaine and Poitou. And that Geoffrey basically tossed him into the line succession anyway, by marrying him to Beatritz, also likely eased tensions a bit.

Foulques/Beatritz vibe was certainly meant to come through here - I think they make for a good match. Honestly they have the potential for an even better match, given their respective ages.

So, I apologize for that confusion. The Jihad against the Holy Lands actually saw Moslem armies attacking England itself! I alluded to that in that section, but didn't make it clear. I imagined Æthelræda would see it as a similar "blight" upon the lands to the Great Heathen Army, so I included a reference to that. But I muddied it up by then also alluding to Canute and the Norman invasion, so... yeah, sorry about that!

But yeah, both the Queen and youngest princess ended up in Tunis, prisoners there as a result of the Moslems taking the English capital.

young Foulques knows how to treat ladies... he will conquer Hispania.. I am sure of that... and Foulquesson, maybe, will conquer Britanny...

Your predictions... well you'll see. Can't spoil!

I have to say that Foulques did well for himself in war. He will need to handle diplomacy even the unwinnable situation better. Hopefully over time he will learn.

Foulquesson on the other hand is acting like his father without filters and acting on impulse without any thought for the future. This could come back to haunt Geoffrey and his cause. Will he lose his allies over incidents like this that he cannot control.

Æthelræda proved to be something of an asset. Could this be the start of her gaining influence in the court?

Foulques needs time to learn. His time around his father helped, and Æthelræda will help further. But he's definitely rough around the edges. Part of the reason his mother wanted him to stay in Poitiers. He knows how to war. Now he needs to learn the other things. Of course, Geoffrey would probably tell her "see, he learns, even at war!"

Foulquesson reflects a different upbringing. He and Foulques both got the brash, martial upbringing, but Foulquesson never was also forced to deal with a father who demanded something else from him. It reflects here. I also imagine he has some unresolved issues as well.

Æthelræda... her future is interesting. It's actually funny, for reasons that I'll explain later.

I can see it. Foulques the Younger is the Geoffrey Plantagenet. The man married to the woman with a claim on England. Æthelræda is the key to the Angevin ambition.

The only thing the boy is missing is the ambitious trait. Why stop at one when you can rule two kingdoms? I have to admit that him not being like grandpa and dad in regards to carnal desires is a good thing, for the stability of the family before all things.

Imagine how many pretenders could pop up in the next few generations thanks to Geoffrey if his “unknown” children start making claims. A fantastic Year of the X amount of Dukes.

So far Foulques the Younger is probably one of the more “normal” lords of the realm by CK2 standards though that can change in later years. Not a bad thing considering his grandpa and father’s current actions and history...

EDIT: I started the TW series after playing a bit of Medieval II. Today played a bit of Rome II. Terrible at the series but fun game.

Which reminds me. “Varus! Oh Quinctilius Varus, Where are my legions?!”

I wonder if Geoffrey will have any disastrous battles like that in the future. A great anguish for him years after it?

So, I have kept an eye toward who can be the story's version of the historical figures. Foulques... I wasn't sure if he'd end up Foulques V or Geoffrey Plantagenet. I'll tell you that there *is* a Geoffrey Plantagenet type in this story. Is it Foulques? You'll have to wait and see. I certainly did marry him to Æthelræda with the idea that, eventually he would press her claim.

In theory, Geoffrey could have plenty of issues. One of his unknown sons is heir to Maine! That said, CK2 doesn't really have a way for those children to discover the truth (which might be an interesting plot tree event - you can discover your father isn't actually your father! Put it in Paradox!) So right now, most of those secret bastards will remain forever secret.

Foulques is fairly normal for now. But that can change quickly in this game.

I loved the TW series, but stopped before playing Rome II. Love Medieval II, though my disappointment in the dynasty aspect of that game is what led me to CK2! Rome: Total War, the original, is one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's brilliant. And the Rome: Total Realism mod was amazing as well. I also enjoyed Empire, especially with Darthmod.

Well, Geoffrey's going to have some interesting battles in his future. That's all I'll say.

Translation:

We're pretty sure you and your dad are our best shot at securing a land route to santiago. We want in and we want permission to have our hospitals on the route when you win it, and in the meantime fight with us to recliam it.

The holy orders are going to become increasingly important, especially because there isnt going to be a powerful france to rein them in. Hmm...I guess England is going to be the other big catholic power, outside the HRE. Unless of course, Big Boss G does something amazing in Iberia.

I also really like the new, non vice-filled (soon to be pox-filled) scion of the Anjou line.

Heh. As Æthelræda noted, they know who they need to play ball with. And honestly, the three rulers who they can deal with are Thoræd, Geoffrey and the HR Emperor. Everyone else is fairly weak, especially with France near-certain to explode into tiny realms.

England does have the potential to be a power - if Thoræd can survive the destabilization the Crusade and subsequent Jihad brings. But there are some... happenings coming with that as well. They are somewhat related to events that are to follow here.

I'm glad you like him. Foulques seems like a pretty good guy when it comes to character traits. And his AI self hasn't given me pause like his father did.

Also Big Boss G... Love it!

Much happened in this chapter but above all I’m liking the thrust of Foulques’ character and indeed the emergent love between he and his Saxon bride. Well played sir.

Thanks! Twas a big goal of mine in this section was to give both of them some time to shine.

Foulques emerges the winner from this exchange. He has already won a major victory his uncle and namesake has not: victory over himself and potential excesses. He wields the sword boldly but judiciously - in battle and in the boudoir! ;)

I can well imagine Geoffrey’s anger here is not feigned: he hates nothing more than one of his complicated plans being endangered by the recklessness of others. Add to that what he would feel is a brother who portrays some of (as he would see it) the worst excesses of his father.

And you had nothing to worry about in this scene - as presented, anyway. Up to the usual high standard, with some suspense thrown into the duel without it crossing into cheesy melodrama. As Foulques might say (inappropriately) to Aubry: I’ve got to hand it to you! :rolleyes::D

An interesting note you make there - yes he does triumph over his lusts. Of course, he is young, with a beautiful, healthy, young wife who is fairly devoted to him - I'm sure his grandfather and father would argue they would have liked to have been so lucky at his age!

Geoffrey's anger isn't feigned, but it is channeled effectively. And you are also right to note that it is a frustrating reminder of his father's worst habits - remember how annoyed Geoffrey was over Foulques' demanding of Maine without giving him any heads up. This is something along those lines - except Geoffrey would feel even more entitled, as he is now Foulquesson's overlord.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I would say my worried was still justified - I went back and made tweaks to it before putting it out there. No drastic overhaul, but doing things to make sure Foulques' voice came though. I want someone to read this and say "that isn't Geoffrey's perspective. It feels different."

:D On that parting shot!

Foulques the younger is a warrior, no doubt he will conquer many more Kingdoms, the question is: Christian Kingdoms or as a Crusader? I put my money on the second choise

Why not both? If he learns anything from his father, it is to be opportunistic in one's conquests.

Foulques has a lot from his grandfather, but differs in other aspects quite radically. He's blunt and a warrior, but we've already seen that he's more pious and that he's not chasing skirts (though it is quite possible that this will change in the future :p)).

And again we see Geoffrey's greatest weakness, if one might call it like that. Whenever he loses control, he also loses control of himself. That Foulquesson episode may not have bigger consequences thanks to Michael and Æthelræda, but other things might. Perhaps it will cause a war in the future.

Yes, his piousness is a bit of a change. I wouldn't call him overly religious, but he clearly heeds the prospect of God much more than either his grandfather or father. Though, of course, Foulques IV did have a point where he was concerned about God's wrath. He simply moved past that after he had a decade of uninterrupted success. Geoffrey, of course, has long been cynical. But Foulques is not a finished product yet. He could well change.

You are right to note Geoffrey's apparent loss of control. He doesn't completely lose control of himself, but he very nearly does. Ever the opportunist, he manages to use it to scare his younger half-brother, but it was a fine line. And it is something that could have consequences in the future.

My biggest takeaway from this chapter is that there is merely a boy in between Aethelreda and a crown. With the Queen jailed there is opportunity for some mischief. Mostly, no doubt, by the Conquerors brood, since you are otherwise occupied at the moment, but things in England could certainly get dicey soon.

A good start to the war, though things never are as easy as they appear.

You noticed that huh? I fully admit, her proximity to the throne holds a lot of appeal. The tough part is waiting for Thoræd to die... Geoffrey is not the type to actually commit murder.

No, they are not as easy as they appear. ;)

To all- I forgot to make a note at the end of the chapter so I'll put it here. I did have a bit different idea for that previous addition. But as I was looking around my save I noticed Foulquesson had the "won duel" modifier. I didn't get a notification asking he be allowed to duel, so I was curious who he fought. Then I saw Aubry was his rival and had lost his hand. Went back to my previous save file, saw Aubry still had his hand and no "duel won" modifier for Foulquesson. So... I put two and two together and had to include it, and that required a substantial rewrite as well because my framing event completely shifted from winning Barcelona to the duel and its after effects.

But it was fun, also because of the odd situation of Philippe and Foulques second-born sons squaring off against one another in a duel. It's the fight with their fathers I had planned but never actually happened due to the game going in a different direction!

In any case, the next chapter is a big one. It's being worked on, and I've written quite a bit, so I hope to have it out tomorrow or Thursday. But we'll see. It will be from Foulques' perspective again.

As always, thanks for your support, comments and excellent feedback! You guys have, and continue to, rock!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's interesting to see Geoffrey evolve into a sort of Tywin Lannister type character now that we see him as the powerful ruler from someone else's perspective. And if Foulquesson has a child then that child would be a 'secret Karling'. Interesting to see this new version of the Angevin family with Geoffrey at its head come into being.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's interesting to see Geoffrey evolve into a sort of Tywin Lannister type character now that we see him as the powerful ruler from someone else's perspective. And if Foulquesson has a child then that child would be a 'secret Karling'. Interesting to see this new version of the Angevin family with Geoffrey at its head come into being.

It took me a moment to remember the Secret Karling bit, because there have been so many Karlings with secret or bastard fathers, but yes, yes, his child would. Interestingly, of course, they would be related through Foulques, but not Geoffrey himself.

But there are gonna be twists. That I promise you. So if you think you've got it figured out... read on and see.

GAAAH.

STOP.

STOP IT NOW.

(Or, in other words: I see what you did there...)

Sometimes I mean my brilliant puns. That one... totally unintentional. I swear.

And now, the next chapter, which hopefully is worth the price of admission. Battles remain a bit of a pain for me to write, but hopefully, this one does the job well enough.

Thanks as always for your comments, readership and support.

Reactions:
Chapter 165 - December 1113
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 165
December 1113 - Gandia, Valencia

Foulques couldn’t sleep.

How could he? Today there would be battle. Perhaps it would not be the stuff of legends - defeating an army much larger than his, as his grandfather, the Iron Duke, once had - but it could render effects that far outpaced anything the late Duke of Anjou had managed.

King Hugues was with his men - a group which stood at over 3,000, compared to the forces of Duke Geoffrey, which numbered near 12,000. Despite that, the army of the Frankish king had not even looked to flee and now their loss would be Geoffrey’s gain.

The final plans had been reviewed in a war council meeting the night before. Foulquesson was handed the right, and Herve the left. Upon learning of it, Foulques’ stomach sank, as he expected his father to command the center.

But instead, he heard the words that continued to repeat in his mind over and over again, bringing a smile to his face.

“And to you, my son, I bestow the center,” Geoffrey had said. “I trust you can deliver the memorable thrashing on them that you promised back in Bordeaux.”

“I will give them a thrashing they will never forget,” Foulques replied.

And he believed it - so much so that he thought it again in this moment and swore to himself he would let his father down… nor his grandfather.

He had much to live up to today, after all. For not only was his father present, but all but one of his uncles were as well. Along with Herve. The legacy of Foulques IV of Anjou, the Iron Duke of the Franks, gathered in one place. All armored. All mounted. All armed and ready to battle, even if his younger uncles Guilhem, Philippe and Ancel would be spectators, more than likely.

Foulques’ eldest uncle, Foulquesson, no doubt would look to achieve the most glory of them. He always had something to prove, given it was clear the young Foulques was the favorite of the Iron Duke. It had led to a healthy rivalry - nothing bitter or spiteful - but a competition of sorts.

And he probably is still bitter over not being handed the center… but he should not have cut Aubry’s hand off.

The prince had survived, and likely had sent word by now to his brother Duke Alphonse. But nothing had been passed back from the duke to Geoffrey - either he had not managed to yet, he was fighting the German Emperor after all, or Alphonse simply did not think it was worth ending their friendship over.

But that was not Foulques’ concern. If Alphonse wished to fight one day, he would learn the might of Anjou first hand.

However, that was something for the future. Today, thoughts of outdoing his uncle, carrying Geoffrey’s banner as they celebrated victory, the potential of capturing King Hugues himself, as the old Foulques once had King Ælfmær of England… Foulques had so much energy he wished the battle was about to begin.

But it was not - the sun was only now beginning to peak over the horizon. And he was in his cot, upright and pensive, but also ready and eager - and not just for battle.

His lovely wife lay to his side. The granddaughter of that aforementioned King Ælfmær - Foulques smirked. Grandfather may have captured the Saxon king, but I am the one who has conquered his blood.

And he could have hardly asked for a better conquest. Æthelræda was a lovely young woman, kind and wise beyond her years, as the experience with the Knights Hospitaller a few months before had shown. She was a devoted wife, an able countess, and a good lover.

Not that he had much comparison, as she had been his only lover. While he knew his father and many others in his family, male and female, were rather lecherous, he had not let himself be seduced by such impure thoughts. Not that he had not been tempted - in the days following the sacking of Barcelona and later Vic, Foulques had seen plenty of wenches he could have bedded, them willing or not.

1113_Fall_of_Vic.jpg

But it was not what he desired. He wished for a son, and he wanted it by his wife, so he resolved not to waste his seed with other women. Especially since she was with him now on campaign, and always willing.

And so he laid back down and pressed himself against her, with the intent of gently waking her, as he laid soft kisses upon her shoulders, the back of her neck and up toward her face.

“You appetites are never ending, husband,” she said, her voice stronger than he expected.

“I did not realize you were awake,” he admitted. “Though I am glad you are.”

“I can see that,” Æthelræda replied. “As you were that I did not retire early last night.”

Foulques smirked. “You did say this is your time… that you believe it is the best opportunity for you to conceive a child.”

“I do think that,” Æthelræda said. “But I cannot say for certain. It may be in a few days, or week… I am not as experienced with this some other women in my father’s lands are.”

“Then we should leave nothing to chance,” Foulques said before kissing her again on the neck. “Though I would find it difficult to resist you anyway, even if you were in full bloom with child.”

Æthelræda blushed. “That would be sinful, husband.”

“A bridge we shall cross… when we come to it,” Foulques said. “So let us work toward that bridge.”

Æthelræda smirked before wrapping her arms around him, her body providing his with warmth on a chilly December dawn.

…..

It was mid-morning when Foulques rode out, alongside his father, his uncles, Herve and some Angevin knights. In the distance, the river Serpis, and the town of Gandia itself, provided the backdrop for what may well be the crucial action of the war.

The Angevins were met by King Hugues himself, along with Prince Henri, and some men Foulques did not recognize.

“Hugues, King of the Franks,” Geoffrey said, “I am glad you have come to meet with me.”

“I wished nothing to do with it,” Hugues spat. “You are a traitor and I would not wish to treat with any of you. But I humor my son.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose and with a sly grin, spun his gaze to Prince Henri. “My brother, there is no need for bloodshed.”

“You offer something?” Henri asked.

“Your lives,” Geoffrey said. “We would permit you to leave here today, you, your father, your knights and commanders, your full levy intact, provided you agree to recognize that we are vassals of the Frankish king no longer. We are free lords, kings in our own right, and your father’s equal.”

“Never,” Hugues barked. “I shall not listen to the demands of delusional traitors.”

He is one to talk, Foulques thought. And he suspected all those with them, and even perhaps Prince Henri, would agree.

“Melun has already fallen,” Geoffrey noted. “I received word a few days ago, and I am certain you have as well. Paris, shall be next. We outnumber you by four fold. You would toss away your lives for a lost cause. I am merciful - we are distant cousins by blood. But if you refuse, there shall not be quarter today - we will seek to hand you a defeat so heavy, the realm of the Franks may never recover.”

1113_Fall_of_Melun.jpg

Foulques looked to Henri and for a brief moment, saw the look that reminded him of those he had fought when he stormed Barcelona and Vic - a look of fear in the face of impending doom.

But such an expression was not found on Hugues. The old man’s face, tanned and leathery from his time leading his men, scrunched up even further.

“You may set fire to my kingdom, Duke Geoffrey, but it shall remain my kingdom even as the embers burn,” Hugues said. “I shall not see it sundered. I shall not see it destroyed. My ancestors, Clovis, Charles the Hammer, Charlamagne, Hugues Capet… they fought and overcame foes greater than a weak, limp wristed lord who dresses up like his father.”

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “You list great men, all of whom I also share the blood of - well except the usurper Hugues Capet. But he is hardly one I concern myself with. I also can look to my ancestors and find those who were Roman in name and blood. And they can look upon me and know I carry out their will, instead of rambling madly at the ghosts of my predecessor.”

“That is enough!” Hugues shouted. “Do you wish to battle here, Duke Geoffrey?! I will strike you down myself.”

Foulques tossed a glance toward his uncle Foulquesson, who smirked. He likely imagined he would have no problem with an old, mad king, whose body grew more infirm by the day.

“Father,” Henri said as he rode in front of Hugues. “Duke Geoffrey, we shall see you on the battlefield.”

“No, I shall kill him myself!” Hugues shouted.

But the king was shepherded away by the prince and the knights by his side. The would be no duel today, unless it took place in the chaos of the coming fight between the armies.

Foulques did wonder if his father would have taken the challenge had Prince Henri not quickly intervened. The king was not exactly in a state to win a single combat against anyone, but Geoffrey was also not one to solve such matters by dueling.

No, he wouldn’t, Foulques thought. That is not what father does. He talks. It falls to me to be his steel, as grandfather told me before he died.

The meeting with Hugues done, they returned to their camp and Geoffrey looked to them all.

“Today we can all but end this war,” he said. “The enemy may lack in our numbers, and our leadership, but we cannot underestimate them. So long as we treat them as we would any other foe, we shall be victorious. Good luck, I shall be with our reserve, ready to move to your aid if necessary.”

The group dispersed but Geoffrey held Foulques back. It wasn’t surprising - Geoffrey usually had something to tell his son before Foulques went off to fight.

“How do you feel?” Geoffrey asked him.

“Ready,” Foulques said. “I have commanded the center before, but as you said, if we win… I should like to bring the mad king before you. If I can catch him.”

Geoffrey smiled. “That would be wonderful. But remember our goal is simply victory. He may escape but, it will not save him, if he has no levy to call upon, especially as his holdings fall to us.”

Foulques nodded. Then Geoffrey looked at him square and gripped him by the shoulders.

“I offer nothing to you, son, except my belief in you,” Geoffrey said. “I have no doubt you shall win the day. We fight to win a kingdom and when history looks back, it shall see us both as having fought to forge it. You do me proud, as you do your mother, your sisters, your brother and your wife. And... your grandfather… as well.”

Foulques took a deep breath, his chest puffing out, as a wide smile came to his face. He wanted to believe such things, and the way his father spoke, the father who he knew did not value war as he did politics, Foulques found it easy to.

“I will not fail you, father, or them,” he swore.

Geoffrey pulled him into a tight embrace. “Be well. And if you have need of anything, whether it be your men or the others, do not hesitate to call upon me. I will bring the reserve forward - it no poor reflection on anyone to have need of assistance.”

Foulques nodded. He did not intend to need help.

The teen mounted his horse and headed off to take command.

Today… today will be a day which defines us. And it falls on me to make certain that we like what comes of that.

…..

1113_Battle_of_Gandia.jpg

There was grunting, shouting, screaming, metal hitting wood, metal hitting metal and more.

All of that was drowned out by the sound of the horn.

The horn that signified the charge. The charge of Foulques and his third wave of cavalry, that had reached a speed of gallop, and was about to smash into the side of the group of spearmen, who were engaged with infantry.

The horn faded and the rumbling of the horses, sounding like rolling thunder in the distance, overtook all. Then the clap, the smashing of wood against shield, armor and yes, bone and flesh. Rib cages shattered, skulls crushed and lines broken.

Foulques jabbed his broken lance forward, as it was easier to find a mark now as the enemy line lost cohesion. And soon, it broke, as three waves of knights slamming into the opposition’s side and rear rapidly destroyed morale and any semblance of discipline.

It had been easy. There simply had not enough enemy knights to do anything but delay them. While the archers had skirmished in anticipation for the infantry battle, Foulques had aggressively sent his light cavalry forward, hoping to draw out their opposite numbers. And sure enough, they did, but his forces so heavily outnumbered the enemy, the fight was not prolonged.

With enemy cavalry in the center chased off, Foulques had unleashed his heavy cavalry, his knights, with impunity. And now, their work done, he could withdraw them, and watch the devastating effect they had on the cohesion of the enemy force.

Now, with the spearmen broken on one part of the line, his infantry could use their superior numbers to flank their enemy. As they did so, the enemy line grew more porous and finally melted away entirely, the infantry rushing off to give chase.

Foulques smiled. The center was won. The rest would follow.

“They are in flight, my lord,” Mayor Guigues said. “Shall we pursue?”

Foulques looked to his second. The mayor of Chatellerault was over 10 years his elder, but quite adept at leading men.

“How does the rest of the battle fare? On the right and left?”

“Your uncle Foulquesson, makes progress on our right, though it is slow,” Guigues said. “Herve struggles some on the left. We have made the quickest work in the center.”

Pursuit while the enemy flanks were intact was dangerous. They could find themselves deep behind enemy lines and cut off. On the other hand, they also did not want the fleeing men to be rallied and reformed.

“Send some of our lightly armored horsemen to pursue,” Foulques ordered. “They are not to chase too far, just make certain the enemy does not return to the battlefield.”

“And the rest of our center?” Guigues asked.

“Herve still struggles to break their right,” Foulques said. “Let us contribute - we shall destroy two parts of the enemy army today.”
….

1113_Battle_of_Gandia_II.jpg

He knew it would not be long.

This enemy right flank was more stubborn than what Foulques had faced in the center, but every man had their limits. Brave as these men were, Herve’s flank had pushed them, and now their lines groaned under the pressure of the weight of Foulques’ infantry turned upon their own flank.

And now it was time to deliver the coup de grace.

He and his knights had armed themselves with fresh, unbroken lances and maneuvered to the enemy rear. They were ready. The horn sounded and they charged forward.

The impact into the occupied enemy was devastating as expected. Slamming into their rear, the knights combined with the Angevin infantry to form a vice upon the enemy infantry, squeezing them crushing them between the two forces.

There was one problem - Foulques did not give the enemy room to flee. They were near encircled. He hoped they would throw down their swords and spears to beg for mercy, but they had not... yet.

Then I shall charge them again, he thought. It will give them space, which may cause them to panic. Then when he hit them again, they will be completely broken.

And so he gave the signal for the knights to pull back but as he did, he heard something he did not expect.

The sound of another horn… a counter charge by the enemy?

Foulques himself was not hit as the enemy knights crashed into his own. But it did cause some disruption in his unit - and most dangerously, it pinned them between enemy cavalry and infantry as he had to the enemy moments before.

They would be squeezed on both sides. Infantry able to pick them off in the scrum on their large targets, the horses themselves possibly driven into a panic, while on the other side they would fight evenly matched knights to themselves.

More knights?! I thought I had dealt with them all! How?! Did I miss them?

The teen clutched his shield as his stomach felt tighten and twist into knots. Was this… fear?

“Surrendering to fear - letting it control your life,” he remembered his grandfather telling him years before. “That is what makes a man craven. But fear, no, fear is not in itself bad. It is a natural thing - necessary for a man to remember that he is mortal. One must fear at times for his life, or that of his family. But he must not be held by it - he must use it to drive himself when necessary.”

I will not let it overtake me, Foulques thought. I will fight my way through it all.

He was closer to the knights. So that is where he would fight. To drive off those that had pinned them and free his men from the pincer. His broken lance would be ineffective against them, so he dropped it and pulled forth a heavy mace - one that may not pierce armor but could smash and break what lay underneath.

Moving through the scrum was difficult. His own men were stuck in all around him. He spun his head as a man near the infantry fell from view, Guigues! he realized - was he knocked off or did they take down his horse? Perhaps it did not matter - his fate was likely the same.

He felt the fear again, but repeated his grandfather’s words to himself once more and then turned his focus forward.

It was just in time to see that he was being eyed by an enemy knight. Armed with a sword, the man’s reach would be better than Foulques’. But it was a trade off - if Foulques was able to get inside of that reach, he would likely have easy pickings.

Of course, that was easier said than done. Foulques blocked an initial stab and then another with his shield. He did not even try to counter - his mace would not reach. Instead it was trying to maneuver his horse in closer, all while keeping the focus on his enemy. It would have been impossible on the other side of the scrum, where infantry had packed them in. Here, there was just enough room to pull this off.

A glint of light caught his eye. He threw up his other arm as instinct to push the blade away. The feel of a stinging, throbbing soon followed. His mail had absorbed most of the blow, though he would feel it in the morning.

That is why that is worth its wait in gold, Foulques thought of his hauberk, which was cut longer than the a standard soldier or knight’s with the sleeve down to his glove. Between that and the leathers he wore, it would take a good, clean strike fell him. That wasn’t it.

Meanwhile, he was now close enough to counter with his mace and caught the knight’s sword arm. The blow wasn’t clean - but it didn’t need to be - as the force of the impact did enough damage to the man that he dropped his weapon. Moving quickly, Foulques swung hard and caught the man on the side - again he did not penetrate, but could practically feel the body clench as the impact shattered what lay inside. And for good measure, Foulques quickly jabbed out his shield, knocking the man in the face and from his horse and to the ground.

One down.

Foulques’ sense of pride was soon brought back down to earth however as he looked up and saw his men still struggling against the opposition cavalry on one side, and on the other being dehorsed and attacked by the enemy infantry.

Many to go. Too many…

Foulques shook his head. No, did grandfather look at the enemy at Rouen and say there were too many? I will beat them as I beat that knight.

Then, another horn. Blaring before, but becoming overwhelming as it neared.

Another charge. But from who?

If this was another wave of enemy knights, as it would be prudent to be, Foulques might well be finished. They might not lose the battle, Foulquesson and Herve were doing their parts, but he might not live to see the victory celebrations.

Then cries of shock and panic soon spread - through the enemy ranks.

The charge was from the Angevin side. The banner of three golden bull heads on a red background, his father’s personal standard, was seen - even if Foulques did not see Geoffrey, this was his charge.

Father… has saved… me?

There was an irony in it as the battle once more turned. Geoffrey had led the reserve forward - without being summoned. Becoming his own steel - something Foulques had always assumed would fall to him. It was what his grandfather had told him to be. And what he always intended to be.

Yes, it had happened in the Gascony war. But that was planned. Foulques had been the decoy then. This was different. This was meant to be Foulques’ moment… and his father had to salvage it for him.

And thus the teen was left uncertain - feeling humbled that his father had been forced to ride to his aid, and yet prideful that his father did have a warrior’s heart after all.

But in that moment, Foulques felt something. He turned quickly and saw an object fast moving toward him - a shield he soon realized, as the wood struck him clean in the face, exposed as his helmet did not cover it - causing a moment of sudden, intense pain…

Foulques glanced around. It was a curious thing… disorienting. The battle was moving slowly and yet it was speeding by his eyes. The man who had struck him must have done it as a passing blow as he rode by, as Foulques felt nothing else - no sharp pain of a stab piercing his armor or crushing pain of a mace blow.

A salty taste in his mouth… blood?

And yet the strangest thing was the odd feeling that he was falling… before a sharp pain coursed through his head and extremities, briefly, until just as suddenly, it all went dark.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Foulques is really living the dream, all of it, the thrill of victory and the briny taste of one's own blood. One hopes the wound is not serious, but one feels this experience might well make him a better commander.

Reactions:
Jab you won me over with the detail of geoffrey's standard *standing ovation*... And it all happened in Gandia, no less, they get to celebrate on one of the most popular beaches in Spain IF they see the sunrise... I was already fearing for Foulques, a righteous angevin?? That's like an english prince named Arthur... unless you're a Henry or an Edward there's a pretty big chance you'll get screwed.

This battle scene was just so evocative. It's hard to make a battle interesting if you outnumber them four to one, but I think this may be one of your best battle sequences until now, it could be that I could picture it more clearly because I'm more familiar with the background, but anyway, congratulations sir!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hidden cavalry and infantry...now that was clever. I suspect Henri is the one coming up with the tactics and strategies. Hugues listing off his bloodline makes him seem desperate, as though he’s trying to remind everyone how great his lineage is in hopes they will see reason and submit to the King’s will.

I wonder what Philippe and Foulques the Elder think of this situation. Not even a generation and relations are soured between their families to the point of irreparability and the realm they knew is all but gone after this decisive battle.

To be Angevin or Capet is a wild time. I have a liking for the latter as I had a great game playing as them from Robert the Strong till the end. Almost a blow to see them going downhill considering their success in OTL.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The battle is won, but at what cost? I fear the worst for young Foulques; even if his wounds don't prove to be outright fatal, he might well wake up with a broken neck -- or not wake up at all, locked in an agonizingly uncertain state between life and death...

As others have said, you have quite an eye for detail, and a real talent for writing battle scenes. You capture the tumult and uncertainty of battle well -- even when one side has a clear advantage, there's always that chance that a lucky strike here, or the wrong man panicking at the wrong time there, might throw a wrench into the works.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Did someone just get their first Iron mask? Or their head lopped off?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well written.

As it always happens in battle just when things are going your way they turn suddenly. For Foulques it happened twice. First when he thought he was delivering the crushing blow and then found himself in trouble. Next when Geoffrey was rescuing him and that is when disaster struck him personally. I wonder how Geoffrey will take Foulques being wounded or even worse killed. Who then would be his heir? All the plotting, scheming, and planning may have been destroyed in the swing of shield.

Reactions:
oh noooooo!!

Reactions: