• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glad the surgery went well my friend!

Reactions:
so glad everything went well!

Reactions:
Glad it all went well, and that your face remains on. Hope the meds treat you well - at least until your surgeon drags you into any feats of derring-do to rescue the rightful heir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Indeed I saw most of this coming but thwts only because it was the sensible thing to do and one that medieval rulers wpuld pick if they had the option. Frankly (heh), more CKII France games and AIs should implode because that kingdom surivong unifyied and powerful all through thr period was incredibly unlikely and in OTL certainly didnt happen. Considering its history, its a miracle it managed to survive at all to see its heyday in the early modern period.

And...y'know, nice to hear you surivved and everything.;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear everything went well :)

Thanks! So far, so good!

Egads, man! Glad to hear it all went well. Now all you need to do is write a dream sequence on the meds. That should be fun! :D

Thanks! Too bad I didn't have one lined up! Though it does remind of one time I had a bad respiratory infection and on the meds for that I had a vivid dream where I saw the ghost of Anne Boleyn. (yes, I am such a history nerd).

Jabber lives!

Glad it went well, House Louping approves of all pain meds ;)

For now! Just trying to avoid infection!

My pain isn't too bad today, surprisingly, so I've been able to keep the pain meds to a minimum. Been really lucky so far.

Relieved to know they stopped Jaspert before he got his hands on a scalpel! We wouldn’t have wanted you ‘method acting’ the part of old Foulques! :eek: I know it is tradition to suffer for one’s art and all, but there are limits. :D

Time now to write a few dream/fever sequences and set them aside for later use ;). And good luck with the recovery - that point where the good stuff wears off and you’re on to the ‘ordinary’ ones can be very ‘character-building’. o_O

But, like driving, fine to write while on the loopy stuff - but doctors recommend not trying to play the game while under the influence. Geoffrey’s behaviour is outrageous enough without medical enhancement! :D:p

Ha. No, not willing to that far. Besides, Foulques is the past now. :)

I've had experience with that before - when my wisdom teeth got pulled. Days 2-5... horrible. This, so far, hasn't quite been to that level. Thankfully!

I have been playing my Ironman game (and dealing with frustrating crashes, sadly) and I've managed to form the Wendish Empire in less than 100 years from Curonian tribal beginnings. Though I was going for the Casanova achievement with one of my rulers and that character absolutely put Geoffrey to shame.

Glad the surgery went well my friend!

Thanks, as am I. Was painful yesterday but much better today!

so glad everything went well!

Thanks! I hope yesterday was the worst of it. If so, I'll be lucky.

Glad it all went well, and that your face remains on. Hope the meds treat you well - at least until your surgeon drags you into any feats of derring-do to rescue the rightful heir.

My face remains, and everything is mostly intact. The meds didn't mess with me too much yesterday - I find when you're in pain they usually don't (at least with me). Today it's been a little better, so things are looking up!

Indeed I saw most of this coming but thwts only because it was the sensible thing to do and one that medieval rulers wpuld pick if they had the option. Frankly (heh), more CKII France games and AIs should implode because that kingdom surivong unifyied and powerful all through thr period was incredibly unlikely and in OTL certainly didnt happen. Considering its history, its a miracle it managed to survive at all to see its heyday in the early modern period.

And...y'know, nice to hear you surivved and everything.;)

You're right in that France is tough to model in this game... or in any game. It's similar to the HRE in a way, as they are all far too unified. But how do you model a weak but stable kingship - the Capetians lasted a looong time and basically went from Hugh Capet through the 14th century without a real succession challenges. The petty kingdoms of England don't quite work for it. The old days of CK2 with low crown authority didn't even really work either from what I remember (though it's been a while since then, so I might be mistaken with that).

Yep, still ticking for now. Just like France. ;)

To all - thanks again for all the well wishes. The next chapter follows as we continue on with Geoffrey's plan to blow up the realm. And more things come into view. Hope you all enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter 158 - July 1112
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 158
July 1112 - Bordeaux, France

“She is fine babe, my lord.”

Geoffrey held the wrapped child in his arms and looked at the princess Anne, who spoke those words. He could not see anything to dispute the statement. But it was an odd feeling for him, as looked at the infant in his arms.

This girl, born a few days before, was his first daughter. Well, technically that was not true - his lovers had birthed daughters before, but none were “his” in the eyes of the world. And while he had a daughter he nominally claimed as his own in Beatritz, he knew in truth she was the product of his wife’s affair with his friend Aubry.

And so he looked at the girl and, unlike with Foulques or the younger Geoffrey, the duke did not know what future awaited them.

In his sons, he saw potential… potential to rule lands. Potential to follow in his footsteps and become kings, provided he succeeded in his goals.

For his daughter… she would not be a queen in her own right. And she was unlikely to be a countess or duchess in any other way than a consort.

What will you be?

He looked to wife, laying in her bed. “Have you thought of a name yet?”

Marguerite looked back at him. “I have not. Perhaps my grandmother…”

“What of your mother?” he asked.

Marguerite’s brow rose. “You would… want my mother as a namesake?”

“I found her… admirable in many ways,” Geoffrey said. “Determined. Strong of will. Beautiful.”

Marguerite eyed him. “And a murderer.”

“As was my father,” Geoffrey said. “But our eldest is named for him. I think it fair that if he is honored, that your mother is as well. I found her… less repulsive.”

“Damning with faint praise,” Marguerite said. She sighed and looked to the child. “Aines…”

“It is a good name, I think,” Geoffrey said as he handed the newborn back to her.

“I am uncertain,” Marguerite admitted. “Does something trouble you husband? You have never struck me as the person obsessed with honoring family, especially our elders.”

He said nothing at first, deliberating how much he desired to reveal. Simon’s rejection of his plans still troubled him. Blood made for a natural alliance after all. But if he could dismiss Geoffrey’s words and reject him…

“I have much to think on,” Geoffrey said. “Now that we have begun our plans.”

“Alphonse and Champagne our bound to you by oath,” Marguerite said. “Have any others given word?”

“Our cousin Etienne refuses,” Geoffrey said. “He likely has support from the king, so he will not join with us. Toulouse, I hear, makes overtures with Alphonse. As of now, Arnulf remains neutral.”

“Even if you secure only one other, we have enough to best them, do we not?” Marguerite asked.

“I want numbers so overwhelming the king does not resist our demands,” Geoffrey said.

“Do you think such things are possible?” Marguerite asked.

“I believe there is much dissatisfaction,” Geoffrey said. “It now just needs to be harnessed to our ends.”

“If you say so, husband,” Marguerite said.

“You doubt me?”

“I doubt any man would be able to draw the realm together like you wish,” Marguerite said. “After all, it is those fissures you hope to exploit in the first place.”

Geoffrey frowned. She had a point, and it was one he grappled with. He did not have much doubt at first, but now with Simon’s refusals…

“I would not worry yourself,” Marguerite told him. “As I said, we have enough to triumph now, especially since they are distracted by their war in Valencia.”

Marguerite looked down at the child in her arms. “She drifts to sleep. I think I shall join her.”

Geoffrey nodded before leaning in and kissing her forehead. As he walked to the door, Marguerite called out to him.

“Husband, Aines… it is a good name,” she said. “As our son hopefully shows, one need not be the same as their namesake.”

1112_Aines_d_Anjou.jpg

Geoffrey smiled at her before departing the room. He did not get far before Etiennette approached him, explaining Agnes had matters to discuss with him. She awaited in his chambers.

Of course, Geoffrey was uncertain what his sister actually desired. Sometimes, she wished to discuss matters of the duchy or the realm. Other times, it was just an excuse to couple mid-day. As he had much on his mind and could use the distraction, he hoped for the latter.

But it appeared to be the former as she stood alone in the chamber, a pitcher of wine on the table and a cup in her hand. And to confirm it, the first question from her lips was: “How is the duchess and the babe?”

“They fare well,” Geoffrey said. “We settled on the name Aines.”

Agnes’ brow rose. “Your suggestion, or hers?”

“Mine,” Geoffrey said. “She was skeptical at first, but came around.”

Agnes smirked. “I would be skeptical as well. I imagine it makes the lady uncomfortable for a host of reasons, not the least of which is that you desired her mother.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened. “You know not what you say.”

“I know exactly what I say,” Agnes said. “You were young, a teen. But I remember what it was like while she lived. Your eyes always followed her. It was not quite as it was with Alearde, but obvious to most. Though, Marguerite was younger than you at the time, so perhaps she did not see it as I did.”

“It is a wonder you let me anywhere near you,” Geoffrey said as he picked up his wine cup. “Seeing as you think the worst of me at all times.”

“Your vice is hardly unknown, Geoffrey,” Agnes said. “I am just confident enough to speak it. For, I am the greatest of all your vices. And you, mine.”

Now it was Geoffrey’s turn to smirk as he moved to kiss her. But his lips ran up against her fingers.

“I came here to discuss matters,” Agnes said. “If there is time after, perhaps.”

“What is it?” Geoffrey asked.

“First, the Countess Almodis replies back to me,” Agnes said. “Her husband is amenable to betrothal of our half-brother to their daughter, Charlotte.”

1112_Ancel_and_Charlotte.jpg

Geoffrey smiled. “Good news. Ancel might receive a chance to rule.”

“If the daughter is anything like her mother, I doubt it,” Agnes said. “But that is hardly our concern.”

“Fair enough,” Geoffrey said. “Anything else?”

“I have received word from our sister in Evreux,” Agnes said. “She swells with child.”

“Alphonse must be pleased,” Geoffrey said.

“Yes, he is,” Agnes said. “It makes her job of keeping him more amenable to your solution easier. He still does not like it, but takes that a child has been conceived so quickly as a sign from God that the union between our families is favored.”

1112_Antoinette_pregnant.jpg

A smile came to Geoffrey’s lips. “It appears you are the bringer of good news. As if I needed any other reason to wish to see you.”

“It is by design,” Agnes said. “I leave it to Alias to tell you the bad news.”

Geoffrey smirked before sipping his wine. “Like news of our cousin in Gascony. Or Simon.”

“Lost causes, both,” Agnes said.

“Simon should not be,” Geoffrey said. “I have offered him coin to sweeten the deal. Enough so that he can finance improvements in his lands, or pay for mercenaries. It would secure him not only against the king, but potentially the Countess Almodis, should she get any ideas.”

1112_Duke_Simon_refuses_favor.jpg

“But it will not be enough,” Agnes said. “He does not look for money, Geoffrey.”

“I did not withdraw my offer to support him if he gains more support than I did,” Geoffrey added. “Yet he remains skeptical of my intentions.”

“Of course he is skeptical,” Agnes said. “He stands almost not chance of amassing enough support without you. He would need to secure every lord in the realm beside you and Alphonse… and Toulouse already shows his hand by backing Alphonse.”

“I did not expect you to take his side,” Geoffrey said. “This would have benefited him.”

“He wished to be king,” Agnes said. “You would reduce him to king of his duchy… which he probably already feels he is.”

Geoffrey grunted and took a long drink of his wine, until he finished off the cup. Slamming the cup down as he shook his head, he said: “There must be a way to bring him to our side. Gold… influence…”

“Sometimes there is not,” Agnes said. “I’m surprised you have not learned this by now, given what you have done.”

“My dear, please,” Geoffrey said. “You undersell my abilities. I have done well to make certain all get something to satisfy them, even though I am the one who ultimately gets what he wants.”

“Then you have been fortunate,” Agnes said. “I hope you counted your blessings, but they could not and would not last forever.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “And what do you know of such things?”

Agnes glared at him for a moment. Then she took a long slow drink of her wine, mirroring him as she slammed the cup down on the table.

“There as a man… a young man,” she began. “His name was Cedric. Son of a blacksmith. Became one himself. He was my lover… for years.”

“What?!” Geoffrey asked. “Did… father know of this?”

“Eventually,” Agnes said. “But not until the end.”

“This went on for years?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes,” Agness aid. “He was handsome… strong… and very kind to me. It was… perfect.”

Geoffrey grunted. He did not like hearing of her former lovers, especially give how much she was gushing over him at the moment.

“Is there a point to this?” he asked.

She glared at him for a moment. “No matter how old you are, there are times when you are just so childish. You cannot even stomach hearing about a man long dead.”

“He’s dead?” Geoffrey asked.

It drew a slap from Agnes.

“What was that for?!” Geoffrey demanded.

“You smirk at that poor man?!” Agnes said. “You are disgusting.”

She turned to leave, but Geoffrey was quick enough to grab her arm. “I am sorry. I did not mean to insult you. It is… you know how I care for you. It is difficult for me to hear you speak of others in that way.”

“And yet I must hear how you take our still-living stepmother into your bed,” Agnes said. “Have you no shame at all?”

A frown formed on his lips. What could he say to that?

“You are right… I am sorry,” Geoffrey said. “Please continue your story.”

Agnes continued to glare at him, but did eventually turn back toward him. “Do you remember the disease which ravaged our lands a decade ago? While you fought your war against Patricia?”

“I remember stories of it,” Geoffrey said. “It thankfully stayed north of the Loire.”

“Yes, well, Cedric lived in the north of the Loire,” Agnes said. “And he contracted it, and sent word to me in Anjou. I… I wished to see him, to tell him how I felt, knowing that I might never get another opportunity. But it was dangerous… not even Alearde would help me. So I went to father, and asked to be allowed to leave the keep.”

“You told him about your lover?” Geoffrey asked.

“No, but he figured it out quickly,” Agnes said. “And he told me… that I could go. But that even if I did not become ill, I would lose everything in Anjou - my privilege. My rights as regent… everything. Or… I could forget about Cedric, remain here and nothing would change. I would keep everything.”

“And…”

“I still have everything,” Agnes said. “But I never saw him again.”

“And you regret it,” Geoffrey said.

Agnes lowered her head and turned from him for a moment. Geoffrey thought he heard her sob, but when she turned to face him again, her eyes were not watering, and her face was more stoic than sad.

“No,” she said. “I worked too hard, achieved too much… I regret that such things happened. I do not regret that I made my choice. I am sad when I think of him, but then I remember all that I have done since and… I am fulfilled.”

As Geoffrey watched her, he was uncertain if she was telling the truth.

“So, do not tell me I do not know sacrifice, Geoffrey,” Agnes told him. “I left the man I love to die without knowing how I truly felt to make certain I kept what I had earned.”

“You… you wish for me to forget Simon then,” he replied.

“If you wish to be King of Aquitaine,” she said. “You could be a powerful man and still be friends with Simon. But you shall be Duke of Aquitaine, Poitou and perhaps Gascony, not king. Or you can be king, and lose our cousin’s love.”

It was not what he wished to hear. But it was also truth. To seize what he wanted, he needed to be more ruthless… more cut throat. And not just with Simon.

“Thank you,” Geoffrey said. “It will be difficult, but I know what must be done.”

Then he paused, and stared at her, drawing a curious gaze back from Agnes.

“What is it?” she wondered.

“Cedric… I am envious of him,” Geoffrey admitted. “He appears to have secured the one thing I cannot, no matter how much I try - your love.”

Agnes shook her head. “I tell you that story, and that is what you draw from it?”

His brow rose. “What… I…”

“I would not give up my power to say goodbye to the man I love,” Agnes said. “And yet I would risk everything to lay with you. Over and over again. Does that tell you enough?”

“I… I am the duke,” Geoffrey said. “Perhaps you feel pressured.”

Agnes approached him and softly placed her lips on his. “As I said, Geoffrey am your greatest vice. And you are mine.”

….

A few days later, Geoffrey stood in his strategy hall, overlooking the map of the realm. Across from him was his brother by law Adhemar, freshly arrived from the border near Marsan where he had been overseeing the attempts to secure support for Geoffrey’s claim on Gascony.

They were attempts that had failed to this point, and the chancellor did appear to be slightly nervous as he waited for Geoffrey to speak, rubbing his hands together and shuffling in place.

He had asked, upon joining Geoffrey here a few minutes before, what his lord required of him. But Geoffrey had not responded, instead just looking at the map intently, sometimes tracing his finger to parts of Gascony, other times to areas of Toulouse.

Finally Geoffrey looked up. “Your mission has not gone as I would have liked, and time grows short.”

“I… I apologize, my lord,” Adhemar said. “It is difficult in this time of conflict there. Both sides are cautious toward outsiders.”

“Excuses,” Geoffrey said. “We should be able to sell them on the peace and prosperity I have brought to both Aquitaine and Poitou. I would think preferable to the constant rebellions under my mad cousin.”

“There is some hope for Duke Etienne, the loyalists feel,” Adhemar said. “And the rebels…”

“Prefer you to me,” Geoffrey said. “And if you tell them otherwise, they will abandon your cause, and you shall never become duke.”

Geoffrey knew he had made a mistake with Adhemar. The man was compromised by his desires - he should have found someone else.

But that mistake was already made. He could not return to the past to rectify it. So he would have to adjust his plans.

Cut throat.

“I can wait no longer,” Geoffrey said. “Gascony must be part of my movement to gain independence from the king. And Etienne, who has support from the king, will not back me. I need Gascony ruled by a man amenable to my interests - one who will back my plan to throw off the yoke of the king.”

Adhemar swallowed hard. “My lord… if you seek someone who will join your movement when raised…”

“You are that man, I assume?” Geoffrey asked.

“I would do it immediately,” Adhemar said. “If I become Duke of Gascony… I would pledge myself to your cause the same day I was raised.”

1112_Adhemar_favor.jpg

“I see,” Geoffrey said. “And if I commit the levies of Aquitaine and Anjou to the cause, what would your rebellious counts think? You said they do not fancy my involvement.”

“They will take it over a defeat and the loss of their lands, as what may well happen if Etienne is triumphant,” Adhemar said. “They will not refuse your help.”

Geoffrey eyed him. Adhemar did slow play this - he was convinced. Whether this was in a hope to get Geoffrey to intervene in his behalf, or just the hope that Geoffrey would eventually look elsewhere for his conquests, the duke was unsure.

Yet he could not take Gascony himself. And if he decided to intervene in Gascony to place someone else in the ducal chair - Marguerite or even her sisters - he would fight both Etienne and the rebels. While they probably would be easier to control, it would take longer and he might lose his window of opportunity.

Aiding the rebels in Adhemar’s name meant he could simply tilt everything in one direction, a much less dangerous task than making it a three-way conflict. For his ultimate goal, it was smarter to do this.

He still didn’t like it.

“Arrange a meeting with the rebels,” Geoffrey ordered. “I will dispatch Herve and fifty knights to accompany you. We will offer our support for the war, directly - the full Aquitaine and Angevin levy.”

1112_Offer_to_join_war.jpg

Adhemar tried to hold back a smile, but Geoffrey could see it breaking through. He had to resist a scowl.

“Remember our agreement,” Geoffrey said. “If you break it…”

“I would not consider it brother,” Adhemar said. “Thank you.”

Adhemar bowed before him and then left the strategy hall. Geoffrey watched him go.

He did not trust him. But he would use him. Because before, Geoffrey did not wish to risk driving a wedge between his brother by law if Adhemar did not follow through after he was raised in Gascony. He was a talented chancellor, after all, and they were bonded by marriage. It meant something.

Now, the die was cast. He would help Adhemar. And then Adhemar would do his bidding.

If he did not, then family ties or not, Geoffrey would crush him underfoot.

1112_Geoffrey_loses_trusting.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
There it is -- the last gasp of Geoffrey's naivete. I can't help but wonder if Agnes will realize what she may have unleashed upon the world...

I'm put in mind of an ancient Chinese saying: "Sacrifice a plum tree to save a peach tree."

• 1Like
Reactions:
So when things don't go as plan Geoffrey adapts and changes. He still keeps his eyes on the prize but approaches it differently. Those who oppose him should take note and fear his power. I think that some time down the road Simon and Geoffrey will have a reckoning and Simon will regret his decision. With Adhemar it looks like Geoffrey's thinking is lose the direct rule of a duchy but gain a kingdom.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, Geoffrey needs to settle all this while he has the time and the window is open. Once it really starts, I think momentum- building and maintaining it - will be everything.

Nice back-cast with Agnes to Geoffrey too. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am not sure I would call Geoffrey naïve precisely, but self-blinding. A common affliction. It is good that Agnes forced his eyes open, but I don't doubt they will close again in the future in one fashion or another.

Reactions:
I am not sure I would call Geoffrey naïve precisely, but self-blinding. A common affliction. It is good that Agnes forced his eyes open, but I don't doubt they will close again in the future in one fashion or another.

Seconding this. Willful blindness does seem to be yet another shared trait between father and son...

• 1Like
Reactions:
now Geoffrey is 'Evil Morty' :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
A very smart play. One man can only hold so much in his hands, and the tighter you try to grasp, the more slips through your fingers. A tough lesson to learn, but a necessary one.

One more duchy in his back pocket. Adhemar, I think, is smart enough to know he is being used, but also smart enough to know it's his only path to elevation.

Well played.

Reactions:
I have to say that Geoffrey's sangfroid and cunning shine ever more strongly-hardly a naif!

Also a lovely little interplay between the duke and Agnes, capturing all her conflict but also her love-well played

• 1Like
Reactions:
There it is -- the last gasp of Geoffrey's naivete. I can't help but wonder if Agnes will realize what she may have unleashed upon the world...

I'm put in mind of an ancient Chinese saying: "Sacrifice a plum tree to save a peach tree."

Geoffrey's success in his many pursuits has been hard to counter-balance with that naive trusting trait. So I tried the best way to both show a sort of naivete and also him losing it. So it's a bit of obliviousness to the idea he can get everything he wants without pissing off others... and the realization that he may well have to sacrifice things to get what he wants.

And Gascony is very much sacrificing the short term for the long term.

Supporting rebels to get Adhemar as a duke in Gascony... Nice !

Yeah, that's the EU IV play - supporting other people to weaken your enemy. Geoffrey's ahead of his time! Also, a rare time where two things that aren't normally that useful - supporting an unlanded, non-family courtier's claim over your own wife's, and the favor system - actually came together nicely!

So when things don't go as plan Geoffrey adapts and changes. He still keeps his eyes on the prize but approaches it differently. Those who oppose him should take note and fear his power. I think that some time down the road Simon and Geoffrey will have a reckoning and Simon will regret his decision. With Adhemar it looks like Geoffrey's thinking is lose the direct rule of a duchy but gain a kingdom.

They should fear him - he's powerful enough where he can find others to do his bidding if you refuse. Had Etienne joined the faction, this move doesn't happen. But Gascony must come along for the ride.

As for Simon... there's something a bit in the future where his decision may well come back to bite Burgundy. I'm just deciding if I want to do that or if other targets are more appealing.

Yes, Geoffrey needs to settle all this while he has the time and the window is open. Once it really starts, I think momentum- building and maintaining it - will be everything.

Nice back-cast with Agnes to Geoffrey too. :)

Yeah. I mean the chance may well pop up again, but there are a lot of reasons why this is the perfect time and the future opportunity may not work as well - not the least of which is the tyranny penalty makes vassals more likely to dump the king. Henri won't have that.

Thanks on the Agnes bit. I thought it fit well - an insight into both their minds. I've tried to give hints as to why Agnes is going along with this - both Geoffrey's plan and their relationship - and there are aspects of it in that story. (Which Geoffrey misses of course, because he's far too focused on Agnes actually having strong romantic feelings for someone else). ;)

A good description. As noted above, Geoffrey having that trait was hard to square with how successful he was under AI control. He managed to wrangle himself Aquitaine and Poitou, and successfully seduce and charm hosts of married women, passing off his children as their husbands'. He can't be completely naive. But blind to certain things and sacrifices that are required, along with overconfident in his own abilities... that's more believable, thanks to his privilege and natural gifts.

Agnes helps him realize it as only she (and maybe Alias) can. As for the future... well there's something coming. Something big...

Seconding this. Willful blindness does seem to be yet another shared trait between father and son...

Agreed. They are similar men in many ways - different methods but similar aspects to their personalities. Success makes them overconfident and allows them to choose to overlook what they wish until confronted by it. Foulques, especially toward the end of his life, often avoided that from his courtiers and suffered that through the "ghosts" that haunted him.

There won't be ghosts, at least for now, for Geoffrey. But he's still going to be forced to confront things in the future.

now Geoffrey is 'Evil Morty' :p

Awww geez. :)

Now, Geoffrey's not quite ruthless enough to assassinate a group of business men upon seizing power but... he's not going to make some people happy if he gets what he wants.

A very smart play. One man can only hold so much in his hands, and the tighter you try to grasp, the more slips through your fingers. A tough lesson to learn, but a necessary one.

One more duchy in his back pocket. Adhemar, I think, is smart enough to know he is being used, but also smart enough to know it's his only path to elevation.

Well played.

Thanks! Geoffrey's mistake is probably underestimating Adhemar to begin with. He doesn't seem to any more... but looks can be deceiving. ;) Adhemar is a fairly skilled politician himself, after all.

I have to say that Geoffrey's sangfroid and cunning shine ever more strongly-hardly a naif!

Also a lovely little interplay between the duke and Agnes, capturing all her conflict but also her love-well played

Thanks. I'd say naive more on the sacrifice necessary to achieve a goal. He's been fortunate in that respect thus far - not having to give up much to achieve any of his ends. That he couldn't talk his way out of it, and that he made a mistake is trusting Adhemar, is a new feeling for him, even if he handled it well.

Geoffrey and Agnes scenes I do enjoy writing. I haven't been able to get a good Agnes perspective scene done so this has to substitute for it. I like how I've gotten to relay her experience, but also hint at her being able to use the skill given to her by Alearde.

To all - the next chapter has been frustrating. I have a bunch of parts, covering different things, all of which I have a vague sense of how to tie together into a cohesive chapter, but am struggling with the execution. 4/5s of it is done, but that last 1/5, which links things together is what is missing. Hopefully, I can solve it soon and keep the train moving, so to speak.

Thanks as always for the comments and feedback! Hope to get the next part up by the weekend.

Reactions:
Chapter 159 - September 1112
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 159
La Charite, France - September 1112

It was a rare occasion where Geoffrey felt comfortable in his armor.

Fighting was not what he was good at. He did it when he had to - after all, it was expected of him. But it was something he wished to avoid whenever possible. Battles could be random. Plans could be undone by a moment of cowardice or a stroke of luck - an arrow finds an unlucky leader, a desperate jab of a spear finds its mark. It was a risk - and often unnecessary.

But today, as he stood in his tent, Geoffrey puffed out his chest. He had fought. And he had won.

The numbers had been in his favor - his numbers stood at 3500 to the enemy’s 900. But they had taken up defensive position along banks of the Loire, near the village of La Charite, where the muddy terrain limited the effectiveness of Geoffrey’s knights. Unable to flank as effectively, it would likely have devolved into a slug fest, where Geoffrey’s superior numbers could not be properly used.

So a plan was drawn up - the overwhelming bulk of Geoffrey’s army, under Herve’s command, would attack the enemy left. Meanwhile, young Foulques would be left with a skeleton force of infantry and few knights which he would command - the hope that his presence unguarded would draw the enemy from their defensive position to strike at an opportunistic target.

But once they were drawn in, Geoffrey would swoop in with his knights on the better ground and break them. Then the Gascons, disorganized, could be routed and their force destroyed.

On first blush, Geoffrey had one qualm with the plan - he did not like his son being the decoy. But it was Foulques' plan, and he insisted upon being the one to lead it - no one should take that risk but the one who devised it, he claimed.

It was a point well argued in front of the other barons who accompanied them. Geoffrey had a choice - deny his son anyway, embarrassing the teenage count, or let him fight.

Father would have embarrassed me, Geoffrey thought at the time. And I will not do as he.

So, Geoffrey let Foulques lead the small force and from his vantage point among a cluster of trees, hidden from Gascony’s forces, he hoped, atop his own mount, the duke watched with knots in his stomach. He had never seen his son fight in battle - Patricia’s rebellion was nothing but sieges after all.

But Geoffrey closed his eyes and calmed himself. My son knows how to fight. His grandfather may not have taught him much, but he certainly taught him that. And he would not have bragged about his skill if it were wanting.

Still, as the small Aquitaine force was pushed back by the Gascon forces, it was difficult for Geoffrey to watch. It was tempting to give the order when Foulques’ skeleton force fell back the first time, even if that retreat was the plan. And it became harder as the Gascons did grow confident and gave chase on slightly better ground.

Again the Aquitaine force fell back. Losses were light on both sides - the fight being more of a shoving match with sword meeting shield rather than flesh. But that’s how it often was at this stage. It was only when one side fled that the killing began.

And so the Aquitaine wing, fell further back, even as Foulques shouted encouragement to them. He rode around with the few knights with them, harassing the flanks of the Gascon force, but unable to do much but keep them honest as some lightly armored mounted men on the other side would approach to ward them off - neither group fully ready to commit to their small cavalry engagement.

It was difficult to watch - Geoffrey’s heart stopping for a moment each time he saw a jab of a spear toward his son. Some of the knights with Geoffrey urged him to charge forward quickly once the Gascon men had engaged in the more solid ground. But he wanted the trap further drawn, to get them further away from their lines, so that there could be no escape.

“We cannot leave the young lord,” mayor Aton of Angouleme, warned. “He is in peril.”

But Geoffrey still did not order the charge. Not yet. Soon Foulques and his small force would be pushed further back away from the river… the Gascons would grow even confident. And committed.

1112_Geoffrey_gains_patient.jpg

Finally, the adrenaline built enough in Geoffrey that he could not hold back any longer, raising his arm and ordering the first group of knights forward.

They crashed into the back of the Gascon force. When the knights withdrew, a second group slammed into them, and then a third, which Geoffrey was a part of. The Gascon men that had strayed were practically destroyed in mere minutes, and Geoffrey then turned his force back toward the river, where the remainder of the force held on against Herve’s assault. But their flank now weaker, though not entirely exposed, the Gascon levy began to withdraw.

That was the only disappointment of the day - Geoffrey’s army was unable to finish them off. The enemy lost near 400, though, which represented perhaps a quarter of Duke Etienne’s total fighting force.

So while it wasn’t a grand battle and magnificent victory - but it was effective.

1112_Battle_of_La_Charite.jpg

It was enough that Geoffrey enjoyed celebrations at his camp near the town that evening and until the next day. While he was hailed for his patience in the face of difficult circumstances, the duke made sure to praise Herve for his leadership of the main unit, and of course, Foulques, for his bravery in the fighting.

The latter quickly became the story of the men, with tales popping up that the teenage count fought off two or three Gascon men at once, refusing to give ground until his father arrived.

The good news kept coming the next day, as a messenger from the Count of Mallorca arrived, informing Geoffrey that the island lord had decided to pledge his support to the independence movement.

That was a small fish however. Now, standing in his tent with Foulques and Herve, all three men still wearing their mail and armor, as if to remind all of their victory in the days before, he hoped to secure his biggest fish yet.

The Duke of Toulouse was visiting their camp - not his representatives or messengers, but the man himself. It was a sign, Geoffrey believed, of an intent to deal. He would not make a journey, while rumored to be ill, just to dismiss whatever Geoffrey proposed.

No, he wants something - something important and costly enough to demand in person. But it is not so outlandish that he thinks I will not give it.

Either way, Geoffrey was confident. If he had Toulouse, all he needed was Gascony to have the rebellion he desired.

In addition to Geoffrey, Foulques and Herve was Geoffrey’s half-brother Guilhem, now 13 summers. The boy was acting as Herve’s squire as he served the baron, but Geoffrey figured it made sense to have him here, since he was promised to Toulouse’s daughter.

1112_Guilhem_d_Anjou.jpg

“A congregation of the House d’Anjou,” the armor-laden Toulouse noted after entering the tent with another youthful looking man. “Your reputation precedes all of you - and I remember you, young Guilhem, when I visited Anjou a few years back.”

“I am pleased to meet you once more, Duke Guilhem,” the boy said.

“You grow into a handsome lad,” Toulouse said. “My lovely daughter will be pleased to hear such things.”

“I… I am flattered you would say such a thing,” the boy said.

Geoffrey smirked. It did appear his brother was a bit flustered - he was turning a rather deep reddish hue out of embarrassment. So he decided to step in.

1112_Agnes_de_Toulouse.jpg

“I must apologize,” Geoffrey said. “For I am at a loss to who is with you today, Duke Guilhem.”

“Ah,” Toulouse said. “Forgive me for failing to introduce him sooner. This is my eldest boy, also Guilhem.”

Geoffrey shook hands with the duke’s son, who then did the same with the others.

“I fear our conversations may well be confusing,” Geoffrey noted. “Three of the same name in the same tent.”

“Well, I don’t think my boy will have much to say,” Toulouse replied. “Will you boy?”

“No, father,” Guilhem replied.

“I would say the same of my son,” Geoffrey said. “But given his efforts in the battle a few days before, I think he has earned a few liberties.”

Toulouse looked the Count of Poitiers and Saintonge over, a smile forming on his lips as he did.

“Every time I see you boy, I question my use of that term more and more,” Toulouse said. “And your deeds make it even less worthy of you. Already I hear of your bravery in battle in the days prior.”

“I did what was asked of me,” Foulques said. “What my father and grandfather would expect.”

“I do not know they would do as you did, exposing yourself in such a manner,” Toulouse said.

“Grandfather defeated a Saxon horde much larger than the king’s forces at Rouen, did he not?” Foulques asked.

Toulouse grinned. “I should have known not to mention being outnumbered in the presence of a member of House d’Anjou. That will draw out the tale of Rouen as sure as bee to honey.”

Foulques blushed, and Geoffrey could not resist a small smile, given his own mixed feelings toward his father’s greatest success.

“Herve, I have need of you to check to make sure we are prepared to depart tomorrow,” Geoffrey instructed. “We have remained here too long. We must again give pursuit to the enemy.”

“Of course cousin,” Herve said. “Shall your brother accompany me?”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “Son, I trust you can entertain your counterpart?”

“Of course father,” Foulques said as he bowed. “Duke Guilhem, it has been a pleasure to see you once more. I hope we may speak again soon.”

All of the men and teens exchanged pleasantries once more before all but the two dukes departed the tent. Toulouse then turned to Geoffrey. “Your brother seems to be coming along nicely. Properly humbled by his superiors.”

“My cousin teaches him well,” Geoffrey replied.

“And your son - a fine lad that. I hear many good things of his efforts in his new lands. He and his Saxon wife are much loved.”

1112_Foulques_well_liked.jpg

Geoffrey’s brow rose. He was surprised to hear that, given the former Countess Patricia was the sister-by-law to Toulouse.

“Your brother Bertrand may disagree,” Geoffrey replied.

“My brothers and I have never seen eye to eye,” Toulouse said. “The only one I ever cared for was the eldest of my younger brothers, Borel, and he died when I was a child. Bitten by a dog. Died frothing at the mouth in a pitiful state weeks later.”

The story caught Geoffrey off guard. “My apologies.”

“It was long past,” Toulouse said. “Though… I wonder what would have happened had I pulled him from the scene and not allowed him to try and save our brother Frederic from that beast. The better boy was sacrificed.”

Wistful, are we, Geoffrey thought. It did little to dispel the talk Toulouse was hiding illness.

The two men sat down at the small table in the tent with Geoffrey offering Toulouse some wine, which he accepted. After a long drink, Toulouse put it down and looked Geoffrey square in the eye.

“So, your coalition grows,” Toulouse said. “Mallorca now?”

“Word arrived yesterday,” Geoffrey said.

“And I would imagine you have secured the word of your brother by law to back you, as you seek to install him in Gascony’s ducal chair,” Toulouse noted.

“His decisions are his and his alone,” Geoffrey replied.

Toulouse smirked. “Of course. His decision to accept aid in exchange for his support.”

Geoffrey eyed his elder counterpart. Did he seek to test him? Was this a sign of things to come with these talks? Given Toulouse had traveled to meet with him personally, it would seem odd for him to antagonize him...

“You speak of me, but what of you?” Geoffrey asked. “I have heard your friendship with Alphonse grows closer.”

“I see worth in the boy’s story,” Toulouse said. “And perhaps my regret for him over having his crown stolen. We would all be in a better place had that not happened.”

“I cannot fault that reasoning,” Geoffrey admitted, not wishing anything negative to leak back to Alphonse. “Though you do meet with me, and surely you know my reason for wishing to see you.”

“Given the complicated time we live in, Duke Geoffrey, I would be foolish not to hear what you have to say,” Toulouse said.

“My thoughts have not changed,” Geoffrey said. “We could all be free. Among our lords, you would stand to gain the most, I feel, given your proximity to Iberia.”

“The most, besides yourself,” Toulouse said. “You interfere in Gascony. You seek to bring me to your side. It seems you do not wish to simply depart the realm, which you are strong enough to do on your own, but seek to destroy it. And that destruction… then it must benefit you in some way. A king, perhaps.”

“You know I deny such claims,” Geoffrey said. “I grow tired of having to repeat myself.”

“You do not wish to be King of the Franks,” Toulouse said. “But there have been kings of Aquitaine in the past. That you seek to have the south bend a knee to your will has long been whispered. And I have long watched - I find such arguments convincing.”

Geoffrey did his best not to betray emotion. A chill ran down his spine as he heard Toulouse’s words. If he thought that…

“King of Aquitaine or King of the Franks,” Toulouse continued. “It matters little to me. I look to secure my family’s rights over my duchy. Can you provide that to me?”

“You wish for an alliance?” Geoffrey asked. “A promise of support?”

“Words and promises, even from the most well-intentioned, can hardly be considered iron-clad,” Toulouse said. “In a world of uncertainties, words are even more so.”

“Then what do you wish?” Geoffrey asked.

“Coin,” Toulouse said. “A great deal of it. Something that, given your coffers, should not be hard to come by.”

“How much?” Geoffrey asked.

“Around 400 should suffice,” Toulouse said.

“That is…”

“A large sum,” Toulouse said. “But you want the south to follow you. Meanwhile, I wish to secure the future for my son against my mischievous and potentially rebellious lords. There is no better way than to do that than with a large sum of gold.”

Geoffrey took a long sip of his drink. Toulouse seemed unwilling to trust his son to speak or maintain his legacy. And that concern may have meant the stories about Toulouse’s health were likely true. He must not have believed he had a great deal of time left, and perhaps did not trust his son’s ability to navigate the dangers of realm politics.

If he thinks that little of his son, then all the money in the world will not be able to save the teen, Geoffrey thought. And it will be a fine trade for Toulouse’s support.

Of course, my father also thought less of me, and look how that has turned out.

“You shall have you gold, if you back me,” Geoffrey said.

Toulouse raised his cup. “Then you shall have my backing.”

Geoffrey raised his cup in kind.

1112_Guilhem_IV_of_Toulouse.jpg

1112_Guilhem_gift.jpg

1112_Buying_Guilhem_favor.jpg

1112_Guilhem_accepts_favor.jpg

…..

In the evening, after Toulouse departed the camp, Geoffrey told Foulques the terms of the deal. The young count blanched upon hearing the sum.

“It is extortion!” Foulques exclaimed as he stood across from his seated father.

“We have the coin,” Geoffrey said. “It is a near-quarter of our coffers… but we have plenty remaining.”

“Word will spread,” Foulques said. “Others may demand similar fees.”

“I don’t care of others,” Geoffrey said. “We need the lords of the south behind us. We have Toulouse now. We will have Adhemar.”

“By giving him my birthright,” Foulques grunted.

Geoffrey remained silent for a moment. He did not expect to hear that. The duke had not been present when Foulques learned of the decision to intervene in Gascony. He would have expected perhaps a little displeasure - after all, if either Geoffrey himself or Marguerite had seized the duchy, Foulques stood to inherit.

Yet that sounded quite bitter - despite Foulques’ enjoyment of the victory against Gascony’s forces earlier. Perhaps he thrilled enough for the chance to lead men and play the heroic commander to hide his anger over what he was fighting for?

“I admit, I did not like doing that either,” Geoffrey said. “But it is necessary sacrifice to secure the larger goal.”

“Of course,” Foulques said. “I understand.”

“I do not believe you do,” Geoffrey said. “You think I think less of your desires - that they are secondary to my own.”

“I know they are,” Foulques said. “I see more now as I am on my own in Poitiers. But it is your right. You are the Duke of Aquitaine, Anjou and Poitou, and my liege lord. And what’s more, you are my father. I may question, but I will not disobey your will.”

Does he draw reference to the relationship between myself and my father, Geoffrey wondered.

But it was ultimately inconsequential. Geoffrey did not need an angry or resentful son, regardless of reason.

“Do you know why I do this?” Geoffrey asked him.

“To secure your freedom from the king,” Foulques said. “And become King of Aquitaine.”

“And you do not think being the King of Aquitaine is not worth sacrificing Gascony for?” Geoffrey asked.

“It does not matter what I think,” Foulques said. “It is already done. It was your decision, as is again, your right.”

“Your tone suggests otherwise,” Geoffrey said.

“Forgive me, father, then I speak out of turn,” Foulques said.

“What did you expect me to do?” Geoffrey wondered. “And you have permission to speak freely, Count Foulques.”

“Why did you not press mother’s claim?” Foulques demanded. “Do you not trust her? Do you think she does not work for your ends?”

“Did she put you up to this?!” Geoffrey replied.

“No,” Foulques said. “Though that you think that says much.”

“You have rarely ever voiced opposition to me,” Geoffrey said. “So I was curious.”

“You rarely ever have looked past your family,” Foulques said. “Well, looked past me. I know of you and mother’s past.”

“Our past, is our past,” Geoffrey said. “It does not concern you.”

“But it does my sister,” Foulques said.

“Your sister has been made Countess of Vannes,” Geoffrey said. “If you know the reason why, then you should hail me for being generous. And if you do not, then you should refrain from speaking on matters you do not understand.”

Foulques scowled and lowered his head. “Of course father. Forgive me.”

The bitterness in his voice was clear. Geoffrey assumed Foulques had heard the talk of his mother’s infidelity, but perhaps he did not believe it.

“Do you require anything more of me?” Foulques asked.

“Yes, sit,” Geoffrey ordered.

Foulques was wide eyed but ultimately obeyed the command.

“First, your mother and I have an understanding of matters, past, present and future,” Geoffrey said. “That includes the decisions of the duchy. She knows she will be rewarded should we succeed.”

Foulques nodded. Geoffrey knew he remained displeased, but that had to be addressed.

“Second, Gascony, the coin, the humbling myself to Alphonse and others, it is all with a specific goal in mind. The Kingdom of Aquitaine.”

“We could rule as kings in our own right now,” Foulques said. “If we seized Gascony, the king of the Franks could not hope to touch us, even if the realm united against us. And it would not require this plotting, or betraying of our claims, or selling ourselves to others.”

“You sound like your grandfather,” Geoffrey said. “He would say such a thing.”

“And he would be right,” Foulques said.

Geoffrey shook his head. “Your grandfather… for all his bluster, was content to bow his head to a king as long as he was given token shows of respect by that king. He was ready to make war with King Hugues until Hugues gave him Maine. Then he drank with the king as if they were brothers. It was… pathetic. He dreamt of lands, but he did not dream large enough.”

“I was there, or have your forgotten?” Foulques asked. “And he accomplished much - he did get the king to give him Maine.”

“I helped with that, but you are right that he accomplished a great deal in his life,” Geoffrey said. “And he could have done more. He could have bowed to no man, a right reserved for a select few.”

“I think you overstate the crown, father,” Foulques said.

Geoffrey shook his head before standing up. He paused, swirled his drink as he paced about the tent, then glanced back at his son.

“You are angry with me,” Geoffrey said. “Frustrated. Because you disagree with what I have planned for us. I have sacrificed your birthright, as you say, to secure what I desire. And yet, you are compelled to do as I command, if not as my son, than as my vassal.”

“Yes, I have said as much,” Foulques replied.

“Do you not wish that you were the one to make such decisions?” Geoffrey asked.

“I… yes…” Foulques said.

“Your grandfather, for everything he accomplished, still had one man above him who could compel him to act,” Geoffrey said. “And for all I have accomplished it is the same. So too, will it be for you, if nothing is done.”

“There are few who can…”

“There are few who can do such things to you now,” Geoffrey said. “You are the Count of Saintonge and Poitiers, my son, heir to Aquitaine, Anjou and Poitou. You are the grandson to the hero of Rouen, the great-grandson to the Lord of Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony. And yet… you still must bow to me. And you must bow to the king.

“But suppose, in time, you had to bow to no one?” Geoffrey continued. “If I am victorious, that is exactly what shall happen. You shall be King of Aquitaine, and you shall not have to lower your head to a weak king as he steals your coin and your vassals. You shall be in charge of your own fate. It will be freeing.”

For the first time, Foulques’ frustrated look began to change to one more favorable, as his eyes picked up the hint of curiosity and desire.

“But we will still have to compromise…” Foulques said. “As you have said, the king is no despot.”

“He is not,” Geoffrey said. “But you will find the compromises much more in your favor when you have power and a title on your side.”

Geoffrey paused to place his hand on Foulques’ shoulder.

“My dream, is for there to be a Kingdom of Aquitaine for you to rule when my time comes,” Geoffrey said. “You and your lady wife leading the kingdom toward further greatness, your brother as one of its dukes, by your side. Together, you make the south, Iberia… and perhaps more… yours. And this feeling you feel tonight, you shall never feel again.

“But we are not there yet. First, we must tear the realm asunder - which I shall do. And then we shall reforge the south - with you leading our levy to glory - as a lord and then a king. Sacrifices now, but in time, success later. Your stubborn will… it shall be needed. And your efforts of late have filled me with the confidence that you shall deliver it effectively when the time comes.”

Just as Foulques struggled to hide his disappointment earlier, he could scarcely feign his joy at the complement now. “I shall not fail you father. Thank you.”

Geoffrey patted his son on the back. The frustration was gone from the count now. A small grin was on his face, his head was held up high. He had been brought back into the fold.

He believes, once more, Geoffrey thought. Or perhaps… for the first time.

After Foulques had departed the tent, Geoffrey stood alone, over the area where his table and map had been before it had been taken down as they prepared to march. And yet, as he closed his eyes he could see it all clearly.

He had Normandy, Valois and Champagne, falling to his side. Now he had successfully added Toulouse and Mallorca. Once he had dispatched Etienne, he would have Gascony. It would be as if the Ile de France and Burgundy would be trapped in the maw of a great beast, about to close its jaws upon them.

Geoffrey smiled. It would not be long now.

The only thing he needed… was patience.

1112_Factions_status.jpg

Notes: That is Alphonse, Champagne, Toulouse and Mallorca there under Independence. I decided to include the screenshots on how I got that favor from Toulouse, and how expensive it was. I had to get Toulouse up high enough to accept the favor and then pay for it. As Foulques notes, that would have gotten costly quickly if I had to pay everyone that way!

Also of note, while it was not mentioned in here, Toulouse and Herve are also first cousins, as Toulouse is to Simon as well! I left it out for the sake of avoiding the exposition on how, but Toulouse's mother was Robert of Burgundy's eldest daughter Constance, who was half sister to Herve's mother Aureade and to Simon's father Simon. This also technically makes Toulouse a great-grandson to Robert II, King of the Franks, and second cousin to Alphonse, Henri, and Simon. His claim to the crown is non-existent due to game mechanics, (his mother dying before her father denied her the claim, I believe, and Toulouse was so far down it did not generate for him) but logically, he'd be well behind all his cousins due to it passing through his mother anyway, while the others all have unbroken male descendants of Robert II. His claim is better than Arnulf's though, but again game mechanics don't allow that, which is why I had Arnulf claim something, but Toulouse not.

Any ideas on how to best show these complex and extremely interconnected family trees?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Good to see Foulques starting to step out on his own and show his strengths. With Geoffrey as the mastermind and Foulques and Herve providing the muscle I feel things are moving the way Geoffrey wants. Geoffrey has truly learned how to compromise and achieve his ultimate goal even it means a few minor bumps in the road. Getting Toulouse on board while expensive was very necessary and well done.

Geoffrey unlike his father listened to his son and then smooth his feathers and opened his eyes to the ultimate prize and what it meant to not Geoffrey but also to Foulques.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm yet again amazed by how you manage to write such long chapters, with those long dialogues as a base.

Geoffrey's independence war's success already seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. The king will be crushed. I'm less sure if the other duke or counts in the kingdom of aquitaine will accept being vassalized peacefully once independence is achieved.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Some excellent negotiations. It is good to see how Foulques steps out of his shadow, and actually defend his namesake against his father. And it is good to see Geoffrey speak to him more like an equal (if not an equal). Certainly with respect. In that perhaps he has learned something from his own interactions with his father.

Reactions: