• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, finally got to 'the end', and I must say it was, hmm,
Deliciously delirious to read this one.

Brother Jacobs never dies...though he comes close to it sometimes. I do have a sad update I'll have to share when we get to 1853 (two updates from now). There is quite a bug I found within Victoria 2 that will need to be immediately fixed, but it can wait until the next update or two. :D

Hmm... i wonder what bug that might be youre talking about?
If it isnt known jet, dont forget to report it in the bug-forum :)

Beer, Chocolate, Waffles and a Road
A History of the Benelux
by Brother Jacobs

Game Breaking

The standing of the Great Benelux, as of early 1852.​

So my brothers and sisters, great people of the Benelux, we begin another year with great anticipation of the events that shall occur this year. The events of the year of 1852 are painstaking, mind blowing, completely riveting yet full of utter disappointment. So let me begin to write about them and watch the tears run down your coal-laden face. On February 28th, the nation of France declared war against Ethiopia. Immediately after declaring war, it was apparent that the French had no intention of actually invading the African nation, and signed for a white peace a few months later.

On March 30th, an incident occurred at our border with Hannover. Immediately rumors of war spread throughout the nation. But quickly, our diplomats who were in charges of things spread the word that the might of the United Kingdom stood behind the dastardly people of Hannover. Quickly the chants for war were replaced with peace loving messages of chocolates, beer, open highways and the possible delight of waffles and fruit galore. The last bit of news about 1852 is quite eventful. Our king, in great infinite wisdom announced the expansion of the government controlled docks of Bruges, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

I know what you say my readers, but Brother Jacobs this update is uneventful and doesn’t interest us! Why won’t you let me finish my thoughts you intruder? I have already prepared more information for you, covering the first few months of the year of 1853. If you were just patient enough and didn’t intrude into my thoughts you would understand my thought process as it manifested itself in my writings. I will forgive your intrusion just this once. Next time it is off the gallows for you, for I am a very short tempered man. [The reader notices Brother Jacobs is still highly frustrated over the events from the previous week. A nightmare still haunts him.]

The United Kingdom and the Great Benelux sign a military agreement.​

GLORY TO THE BENELUX! GLORY! Great Britain has seen the path of greatness and has decided to sign a military agreement with us! JOYOUS DAY! MOST MAGNIFICENT DAY! The world shall fear the two greatest powers! CELEBRATE WE MUST! CELEBRATE WE WILL! CELEBRATE! Oh wait, what is this? A bug? A flaw? Somebody will have to be fired for this! Breaking news has reached us from capital of the North, that was once great but is no more. The Swedish crown has announced it has gone bankrupt! Oh my! I wonder whose head is going to have to roll for most unfortunate of events.

I have a feeling i know what dreams hunt Brother Jacobs... A certain french guy may be appearing in them... :D

Thanks for the update :)

I have a feeling i know what dreams hunt Brother Jacobs... A certain french guy may be appearing in them... :D

Thanks for the update :)

Also, hope you liked the "game breaking bug" - Sweden went bankrupt. Come on Paradox, at least show bias to Sweden, they shouldn't go bankrupt!

Also, hope you liked the "game breaking bug" - Sweden went bankrupt. Come on Paradox, at least show bias to Sweden, they shouldn't go bankrupt!

Oh, that was the bug... i see :D

Since when does Prussia have no countries in it's sphere?

Anyways, this has been an interesting update to say the least. I look forward to more.

Prussia fell to liberals, breaking all its military alliances and sphere control.

A History of the Benelux
by Brother Jacobs

The Time Has Come

My brothers and sisters, I hope the title is to your liking, because it is the truth. For far too long, our great nation, the Benelux has been wedged between the teeth of France and Prussia, today is a day we shall lash out again! We have already lashed out against the France, seizing all their colonies except Algeria; which is a waste of land anyways. At least the colonies of the Benelux of are immense value and the citizens there are eagerly accepting our great culture of Flemish-Dutch-French-ism. Just for your information, if I reference FDF, I am talking about Flemish-Dutch-French-ism. Quite a fancy name isn’t? I thought so [too bad your unintelligent brain will never be capable of comprehending my thoughts].

Moving onwards my brothers and sisters, on October 10th, the Prussians arrested one of our citizens who accidently strayed into Prussia. That is according to the press I have received from the Prussians; however it is lies! ALL LIES! It is the truth my brothers and sisters that our citizen was in the right, he was within the lands of the Benelux! The Prussians were unwilling to back down and make an official apology, so we shall make them apologize by the might of the gun that we make. It is quite nice to know that we, the great Benelux, makes most of the small arms used in Europe.

The war plan employed by the Benelux.​

Oh stupid Prussians, we are not afraid of your black armor! You mobilize your troops, yet you doing so will not change the fact that you will be defeated! In fact, why did you even mobilize? Our intelligence network within your pathetic nation states you can mobilize forty regiments; but what good are those regiments when over half of them are engaging our crack troops within matters of days? Perhaps a certain military has forgotten the lessons of Napoleon. Perhaps the torment we went through, being dominated by the French and the Prussians has given our troops extra strength. Who knows! All I know though is, we shall acquire your lands, and you shall go home crying to momma about how mean we are.

Beneluxian troops engage recently mobilized Prussian troops. The Prussians are quickly defeated, over half their army is defeated within the first month of the war.​

Dear Prussians, please pay attention. You are defeated! Why do you need to drag this out? WHY! WHY! WHY!!! Answer me you scoundrels! Are you afraid of the might of the Benelux? Don’t worry, because other nations fear our might. Just ask France and Spain. I know it is hard to accept the fact that your role as a dominant power has been reversed, but the time has come for you to accept it. Please, whatever you do, please, please, please for the life of this nation delay the inevitable. Please just accept defeat, we don’t want to move on into 1854 with a war! But…sadly you won’t accept our peace terms. Please just part with the Rhineland and the Nordheim. Just think back to when these lands were occupied. At least this time the occupier are us, the Beneluxians.

Great update, i am sure the Prussians will soon accept that they have been beaten :)

How is it possible to defeat the Prussian army?

Well, in game terms. Since they fell to the liberals, all their alliances are broken and military access across the rest of Germany is kaput. I'm only facing one half of the Prussian Army; which has been defeated. Plus, they can't reinforce by sea, as the Grand Beneluxian Navy is blockading the coasts!

The Contest has reached its end now, and is closed for further chapters!

Anything posted after this posting will not be taken in account from any judge.
You are also free to continue your AAR in any style and form that you prefer,
and arnt bound by any contest rules any more.

Thank you very much for your participation!

The final Overview Posting is here!

The judging is in progress, watch the contest thread
for the announcment of the scores as soon as i get them. :)

A History of the Benelux
by Brother Jacobs

What Time Is It?

“What time is it?” you ask my great brothers and sisters, and well I have an answer for you that is not in the literal sense nor the most common form of the question you previously asked. It is time for another great history lesson of this nation that is called the Benelux. In last history lesson we saw how we, the great that we have become has turned the tide against the dastardly Prussians. We shall continue with that lesson in a bit, but for a brief detour in our timeless discussion, there is great news spreading around the world. IT IS WAR TIME!

The Ottoman Empire, which had time and time again been thwarted not by the European powers, but by the United States of America turned its attention away from its lost lands in the Holy Land, and instead focused on the nation state of Greece. What a confusing time we must ask ourselves. Why do us great powers of the world care more about the uncivilized nation of Egypt than the civilized Greece, which was once a great bastion of civilization. Do you think you know why my brothers and sisters? Well you’ll never have the time to answer, as I will answer before you! It is because once we invest enough money, resources and time into it, we will one day build a great canal connecting two great seas! And can you guess what this great canal will do? You are right! It will cut down the time from traveling from the Benelux to Java. But alas my brothers and sisters, at this very minute we do not control Egypt or have sufficient influence. But only time will tell!

Just some of the wars going on during 1854. Russian and Oman? EPIC!​

I believe it is about that time we move on towards a different subject my friends. How about for the next hour or two we review the events about our war with Prussia that has taken a considerable amount of months. Though the war is lasting longer than we hope, it is not our fault but the cowardly Prussians who do not realize they have been beaten and cannot simply march across their neighbor states to aid their helpless provinces. In response to the Prussians simple refusal to spend a week or two to discuss a peace treaty, our king announces that we will seek additional compensation from the Prussians. At first we only wanted the state of Nordheim; however now we want the Rhineland also!

Sad news my brothers and sisters, a truly crushing day in the timeless history of the nation. On November 24th, 1854, a day that will live throughout history, as permanent mark against the honor of the Benelux, the United Kingdom broke its alliance with the Benelux for skirting .16 points below a 25.00 “bad boy” limit.

Who are they to say we are close to an artificial bad boy limit? Who are they to decide a number? Plus, what system of conversions need to be implied? I believe the British have not seen the formula we have to determine our “bad boy” limit. It goes like this:

WE DON’T GIVE A DAMN! Lift your middle fingers my brothers and sisters. BRITAIN SHALL PAY FOR THIS INJUSTICE! Perhaps they have forgotten we are the closet country to them in military and naval power. In addition, we are just mere miles away from their coastline of Southern England. Perhaps we should remind the “masters” of the world just how easy they can fall.

The war with the Prussians continues into December 1854. Two peace offers towards the Prussians have been refused. All we want is the Rhineland and Nordheim!​

Bonus: How many times is the word 'time' mentioned in this update?

Got to love a slow server. Hit submit once, it says did not go through...instead it goes through 4 times!!

Last edited:
Got to love a slow server. Hit submit once, it says did not go through...instead it goes through 4 times!!!

Last edited:
Got to love a slow server. Hit submit once, it says did not go through...instead it goes through 4 times!

Last edited:
Got to love a slow server. Hit submit once, it says did not go through...instead it goes through 4 times!!!! Bleh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.