Became Swedish, got War Elephants?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
M

Mees Henneken

So as the title says, I got the event to convert from Norse to Swedish and accepted. It didn't say anything about gaining innovations, nor can I find anything special regarding this event online. But I noticed a while later that I was able to recruit War Elephants as men-at-arms. Huh. As you can see from my screenshot I have the innovation unlocked with zero counties in the required region being Swedish (or Norse for that matter), but it's not a visual bug either because I can legitimately recruit them.

I'm far from upset, I love my Swedish War Elephants, but does anyone have any idea if this is working as intended or if it's maybe a hilarious bug?
I'm playing Ironman without any mods active.

Attachments

• 20210405222216_1.jpg
    20210405222216_1.jpg
    508,1 KB · Views: 0
Cultures with zero counties owned by them have the base 45% chance to gain the base 0.3 progress in whatever innovation was randomly chosen to be its fascination each month. All unearned innovations including regional innovations are eligible to be this random fascination, since 40% of 0 is 0, therefore they all match the regional criteria. Thus after about 60-70 years cultures with zero counties will earn a random innovation and move onto learning the next one.

Reactions:
In my current game, Swedes got West African Canoes before the split - 100% free embarking is always pretty sweet.

• 4Love
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm not suggesting the elephants migrated there, but perhaps they were.... carried?.... gripped by the ...tusk? :rolleyes:

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Long elephants
:D

Cannot fathom how and why, but this made the author laugh into bursting the coffee while drinking, and the monitor screen along with the keyboard; all has been covered in coffee.

Monitor screen has been salvaged; the keyboard seems damaged. @oakshield; thank you for the morning laughter, and the retribution for this will be imminent. Expect the revenge:D

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Cultures with zero counties owned by them have the base 45% chance to gain the base 0.3 progress in whatever innovation was randomly chosen to be its fascination each month. All unearned innovations including regional innovations are eligible to be this random fascination, since 40% of 0 is 0, therefore they all match the regional criteria. Thus after about 60-70 years cultures with zero counties will earn a random innovation and move onto learning the next one.
Thanks for the insight, now it makes sense!

:D

Cannot fathom how and why, but this made the author laugh into bursting the coffee while drinking, and the monitor screen along with the keyboard; all has been covered in coffee.

Monitor screen has been salvaged; the keyboard seems damaged. @oakshield; thank you for the morning laughter, and the retribution for this will be imminent. Expect the revenge:D
Done that a few times with water and beer. I usually turn everything off immediately and go around taking it apart, cleaning it and letting it dry. Works most times :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Remember you can only fit 5 elephants on a boat or 5 men.

• 8Haha
Reactions:
The closest I have seen about War Elephants and Swedish fighters was when I founded the Holy Order playing in the area and the said Holy Order came with two regiments of Elephants... But I think I did not have elephants to build in my regiments.

So as the title says, I got the event to convert from Norse to Swedish and accepted. It didn't say anything about gaining innovations, nor can I find anything special regarding this event online. But I noticed a while later that I was able to recruit War Elephants as men-at-arms. Huh. As you can see from my screenshot I have the innovation unlocked with zero counties in the required region being Swedish (or Norse for that matter), but it's not a visual bug either because I can legitimately recruit them.

I'm far from upset, I love my Swedish War Elephants, but does anyone have any idea if this is working as intended or if it's maybe a hilarious bug?
I had to spend 2 generations migrating to India and converting their culture before the patch to get them, and you get it from RNG?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I had to spend 2 generations migrating to India and converting their culture before the patch to get them, and you get it from RNG?
RNG + 60 to 70 years of waiting. A culture with no counties gets no bonuses towards development, so progress at discovering things is glacially slow. Plus by converting India to your culture you probably increased your average development score considerably, since India ( especially southern India ) starts out as one of the highest developed areas in the game.

I got west African canoes on the outremer.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Am I the only one who kinda likes that late-arriving cultures start with some random absurd invention? It’s nonsense of course, but fun nonsense. Hope it doesn’t get patched.

• 1Haha
Reactions:

Please do not listen to the technical explanations in this thread, as they are all BOGUS.

It's based on historical fact. Every Swede who has graduated high school knows the story of famed general Hannibal Barksson who attacked the Roman Republic with his elephants. :)

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: