• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Myth

Strategy Cognoscenti
33 Badges
Jul 8, 2005
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
Benito Mussolini has an interesting technology on his hands--a machine that allowed him to make contact with other dimensions (it has a interface which is shockingly virtually identical to these forums here :eek::D). With the aid of this machine, he somehow managed to find Benito Mussolini, in another universe.

It is now 1936 and the two Mussolinis have been corresponding for a decade, the best kept secret in both dimensions. Events on both Earths are beginning to move apace. As events heat up--beginning with the parallel Italian-Abyssinian War in December 1935--their correspondances begin to really fly, each eager to outdo the other in both diplomacy and war. Up to this point they were generally in agreement with each others (their own) policies, but now their paths are diverging.

This AAR was thought up after Myth (real life friend of mine) excitedly force-fed me his every move in a Japan campaign, in which he tried to take on both the US and British navies at once. Untill then, of our circle of HoI2 playing friends, only I had real experience with the navy. His campaign inspired me to try and play a game as Italy, in which I would let Germany do all the footwork, while I myself would attempt to control the seas of Europe. Upon submitting the idea to him, he asked if I'd like to play it in paralell with himself. Hence, this rather exotic AAR was born.

Our posts will henceforth proceed in character of the two Benito Mussolinis, constantly bragging to each other and inflating their egos. Enjoy. :)

Sounds like a unique and promising AAR. Hope it works out. :D

Benito, it’s been so long since we last talked. I have much to tell you. Firstly, our plan of conquest in Ethiopia is going brilliantly. Slowly but steadily, our troops are moving forward, meeting near negligible resistance. Of course, how could they resist our might! Just have a look at our progress only a month into the war!

Italy1.PNG

Our irresistible troops have got them completely cornered! They are hardly even qualified to be the dirt on the bottom of my boots! We’ve declined every one of their attempts for peace, for their terms were ridiculous in nature.

There are some bad news, unfortunately. The French have sent a spy into our land, though we quickly identified and eradicated him. In response to the French brazenness I ordered to relocate a significant number of our mainland troops over to the French border. How can they stand against THESE mighty defenders of our great land!

Italy2.PNG

I also completely restructured the navy and air force. We now have one fleet defending the inter Mediterranean, and one fleet capable of long distance strikes into any enemy waters. We also have a submarine squadron on standby, currently spying on ship movements by Gibraltar. Among the reforms I introduced was the complete deconstruction of all level 1 vessels, as they are out of date and a needless drag on our great navy. The naval bombers, too, have been moved to a better strategic location to destroy any ships trying to enter the sea. Just have a look and marvel at their obvious superiority over anything our infidel enemies may possess!

Italy3.PNG

At home, our researchers are pushing hard for supremacy in industry, sea and air. I specifically ordered to research aircraft carriers, which will be the spearheads of our glorious navy. We are also building numerous industry complexes to produce these carriers once we have the ability. In light of these events, I changed the minister of the Navy to Allesandrino Ceresa, for he is rumored to be significantly better at naval conduct with carriers, even if his weakness lies in submarines.

This war with Ethiopia will end in total victory very soon, and then I have other ambitions, which I shall share with you at a later time. My meal is prepared, and the day’s excitement has made me develop quite the appetite. I do want to hear your progress first though.

Last edited:
look at all those divs on the french border..you should put a div on sardinia. one landing and those naval bombers goes *poof* if they are in base

My dear Benito! I am so glad that I am speaking with you now, it has been nearly four months, we last talked just before the invasions of Abyssinia in December! Much has occurred since then, to the glory of Italy!

I am revitalized my technological research and doctrinal development, and the results will be good! Not only that, but I have whipped the war hawks in Italy into even more of a frenzy, they already quite strong and getting stronger.
1_-_Researches_January_1_1936.jpg

Italy's researches on January 1, 1936

The Imperial Italian Army, comprised of the I and II Corpo d’Armata dell’A.O.I. and the Corpo d’Armata Libico began their general offensive against Abyssinia after a month of preparation.

2_-_Italian_Grand_Battle_Plan_in_Abyssinia.jpg

Italy's Grand Battle Plan in Abyssinia

Gains were made quickly, and by the 11th of January the town of Denakil had been occupied on January 11. The Abyssinians immediately attacked with their vaunted Imperial Guard and a reservist division, the 1st Militia. The attack was quickly stopped and General Pintor’s I Corpo d’Armata dell’A.O.I. counterattacked like the lightning! Major General Messe’s 26a Divisione ‘Assieta’ and Major General Roatta’s 30a Divisione ‘Sabauda’ smashed through the Imperial Guard defenses in hours, but could not exploit to their full capability as Pintor’s two reservist divisions and two regular infantry divisions had a harder time breaking through the Abyssinian reservist militia.

On January 12, the same day Abyssinian defenses around Dire Dawa were finally broken by Pintor’s assaults and until the 14th, Lieutenant General Geloso’s II Corpo d’Armata dell’A.O.I. battled two Abyssinian reservist divisions around Dese. Concurrently, Graziani’s Corpo d’Armata Libico smashed Abyssinian defenses at Moyale. All my generals are gaining fame and prestige in glorious battle against the hated Africans!

The 26a Divisione ‘Assieta’ was the first Italian unit to enter Addis Ababa, facing no resistance. I proudly annexed this last African kingdom, this loathsome Abyssinia, hours later. It was 1800, February 6.

Vital events occurred earlier, in January, during this campaign. On the 7th, I proudly announced to my people, my proud Italians, that Italy was in alliance with Germany! This alliance had immediate benefits for my Italy. They freely trade me enough energy to keep Italy’s vast industries going until such a time when it is fully self-sufficient. Also, they have provided Macchi with three of their own Messerschmitt Bf-109D interceptors; this greatly sped up Macchi’s development of their own interceptor. I am proud to announce to you that the first working prototype of the Macchi MC.200 Saeta was demonstrated to me on March 30th, yesterday. I immediately put in an order for them to produce enough to upgrade my five interceptor squadrons in Rome.
Macchi%20MC.200.jpg

Three Macchi MC.200 Saetta interceptors

On the same day, I contracted Giulio Natta to develop a working agrichemistry to improve Italy’s fertile fields even more.

Another benefit from my new Rome-Berlin axis is that I have upgraded and refurbished all my divisions, increasing their size by one brigade each and bringing them up to parity, both manpower and equipment-wise, with the impressive German divisions. The German chief of the navy—Admiral Raeder—convinced me to scrap all my ships that date from the Great War. With such a move, I free up thousands of trained sailors for usage on more modern ships.

[OOC]

Of course. I'm just trying to stay in character. This is as much for fun as it is for victory. :p

[/OOC]

Last edited:
My dear Benito! Alliance with Germany was an excellent strategy on your part! My heart is overjoyed to hear that they aided you so. Perhaps, I should meditate on whether or not this is a wise policy in my own situation as well over dinner. For now, unfortunately, I have to run. Great ambition lies in our hearts, and through rigor and concentration, we shall emerge victorious!

I am overjoyed that you believe my alliance with Germany to be a viable strategy! I expect you will find that you, like I, that Germany is a useful ally to have! Until next we converse, Benito!

[OOC]
Edzarko: thank you, and I hope that it continues to be of interest :)

Model: heh, this was a source of some amusement for me and discomb (so many latvian flag avatars, its unheard of in any thread :rofl: )

[/OOC]

Two Mussolinis! This AAR is really going to go places!

Though the Denakil isn't a town. It's the name of the harsh, unforgiving desert that stretches across the northeastern part of the horn!

anonymous4401 said:
Two Mussolinis! This AAR is really going to go places!

Though the Denakil isn't a town. It's the name of the harsh, unforgiving desert that stretches across the northeastern part of the horn!

Sounds like my kind of town.

[OOC]
well isn't it like Mussolini to inflate things a bit? :D

[/OOC]

Interesting, I'm hoping for the two Mussolinis to go wildly different directions!

Benito! I am sorry to rush to you so, but I have terrible news. First off, on April 2nd, Corpo d’Armata Libico, under the command of general Graziani, stormed the Abyssinian capitol in a brilliantly conducted attack that resulted in certain victory. After this, we experienced stable progress until April 18th, when the foolish Englishmen tried and failed to infiltrate us with their spies. This finally convinced me to ally Italy with Germany instead of the pathetic allies for whom we fought the Great War. However, when I proposed the alliance, Hitler declined! I was so shocked, I came running to tell you of this drastic development. What advice can you give me? Could it be that the Germans do not see us in all our glory because the formal annexation of Ethiopia has yet to come?