• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My king, I think we should not only concentrate on raising our stability but also train a professional army suitable for our needs. Our army is small nowadays and it won't be able to protect us if anything bad happens.

I also think we should strengthen our Catholic faith right now by sending missionaries to the Protestants in Franken and later we should try to protect Catholic people in the states of Württemberg and Ansbach as well.

My King...I second that...our army is too small...and by raising our stability... more funds will made available to us for defense and for conquest. And, when possible we should also look to making our fortification larger. Our very survival is at stake.

As for Württemberg...if we hurry we can save our Catholic brothers in that country from the followers of those false religions. Their lives are in peril every second we delay.

The same go for Ansbach...we must hurry to their defense.

Last edited:
-OOC Just to say I am not king - Prince Elector - and that the word inflation was not known at the time ;)

-IC

First of all, I thank you all for your propositions.

1) I agree that Bayern need stability. So, I suggest that we invest our monthly revenue this way:

Stability measures: 50%
Army development: 15%
Administration (G), Industry (P) and Trade development: 5% each

I think too to hire someone to work solely on the country's reconstruction and, thus, to provide stability. Our friends of Spain proposed to send us, for a small cost (4 ducats) a master in this regard, Calderon de la Barca. His fees are reasonable (0.4 ducat monthly)

As for the maintenance of our army, I propose we cut them down to half. I see no incoming conflicts. We would save about 0.4 ducat monthly.

I also believe we should try to balance the budget.

About diplomacy, I disagree about any idea of attacking our dear imperial neighbor. As proud servant of the Empire and first of all Electors, I will never question my loyalty to our Emperor.

That said, I am sure our Emperor, as I do, would not disagree to reduce the influence of heresy in Germany. But we need better a better political and financial stability to start a new war.

Do we agree on this?

I agree too to convert protestants of Franken to the true Faith so I asked the Society of Jesus to be in charge but they told me such a large operation needs time. They will only be able to operate next year or, at worst, in 1651 (OOC - we have no missionary and I guess we will get our first in 1651).

2) Dear Lords, I would like to hear of you about our general orientation. How can we shape our States, either at a general level or in provinces?

Since we agree that we need to bring new men into our army, I would like to hear propositions about the type and the number of units we need.

I would need more specific guidelines in matter of diplomacy - relations, alliances, marriages etc.

Yes, Prince Elector…you are most wise to see that we need time to prepare for every possible situation.

As for our nation’s general orientation I would like to humbly suggest that we look at needs at the province level.

Regarding our future armies…for every two infantry regiments we should train one cavalry regiment. In regard to artillery, one to two regiments should be trained for every six combined infantry and cavalry regiments.

With the thought that our great nation is only perceived great by what other nations think of us, we should always strive for the utmost highest level of reputation and prestige.

Marriages, as alliances should not be consented upon unless they glorify our nation. And before consenting to such a union we must be certain that there isn't any chance of us falling prey to possible consequences that would prove burdensome.

Last edited:
Mein prince, we should hurry to attack Ansbach or Wurrtemburg before they can gain allies. Else we might find ourselves fighting all of Germany.
Also, I believe that we must use infantry and artillery for our glorious armies to dominate the battlefield.

Shortly after the council meeting, Adolf, Alexander and I retired to my estate where we toasted a few.

“To the council and what Maximilian and Thomas might be thinking of us young lions,” I jested.

“…Young pups is more like it,” commented Adolf.

I don’t know how, but the topic of conversation soon drifted to battles I took part in while I was traveling about Europe. It’s no secret that in my past I was a rover.

“I joined the Scottish army to fight the British in February of 1645. In June we crossed over into Cumbria and took it. By that time, the land was riddled with revolutions in England and Scotland. Then, on 5 May 1646, they said saner minds prevailed and a white peace was agreed upon…as if all the dying meant nothing. Of course, by that time I was already long gone by Scotland.”

“So, that’s how you got your dirk…you fought in Scotland?” Adolf asked, as he gestured to a short nine inch weapon (with five inch blade) that laid on the table beside me.

“Oh, baby…it was a gift from a colonel I met who was from the Highlands…a good and trusted friend and mentor. I don’t go anywhere without baby…of course I have longer dirk for battle.”

“So…you fought against the English, eh…why did it take you so long to come here and join us.” Alexander asked.

“I stopped off to take part in a little fight with the English over Tyrone (Ulster). By July 1646, Tyrone belonged to the Irish Republic…making her whole.”

“But,” said Alexander, before hesitating “to date the English have not ceded Tyrone to the Irish.”

“One day Northern Island will be free.”

Hoping to break the tension of the moment, Adolf cleared his throat as if to quiet a child’s anger.. He then hastily switched the line of conversation. “Tell us how you met Ane.”

I sat back in my chair as a smile broke out across my face. “That my friends is a tale for another evening.”

Two days later, I was confronted…

Last edited:
OOC: Ok. Here is my bio:

Radulf Hrodwulf, Count of Wald.

Called "Wolf" by his colleagues, he was born in 1627 in Venice. His family had been vacationing there when he was born a full month early. They knew it must be sign from God that he was meant to live on the great Sea, hence his funny name. It derives from the name of his homeland (Wald), and the hope of his parents that he would one day be a great "Wolf of the Sea".

He has already become Count at his young age because of a tragedy in the family. His father was off fighting in the war, and was killed only a few weeks before peace was made and Bavaria was recognized as a legitimate elector.

He is still unmarried, but is actively seeking a wife. He is not desperate enough yet to fall for anyone, but if the right beauty came along with the right connections, he wouldn't hesitate at the chance for love and to gain some more power.

I'll catch up with the goings on later today. ;)

Our King has taken great interest in an issue that has just come to his attention. Princess Miriam O’Brien the apparent heir to the deposed throne of Tyrone (Ulster) has come forward with an urgent plea for justice.

Feeling that there is great urgency in this matter the King wants the issue resolved quietly with all haste, and with justice justly served with no hint of scandal to be exposed.

The issue is thus:
Princess Miriam O’Brien the apparent heir to the deposed throne of Tyrone (Ulster) contends that one of the members of our council is betrothed to her. The council member is no other than Mathes von Rangehofen.

Range of course denies the allegation, stating, “I have met with this young lady and nothing came from it…we talked that’s all, I assure you.”

“I’m a princess and as such I act and react as a princess.”

“My Prince Elector…I’m not even certain she is a princess…”

“I traveled here from my land with my court to find you…”

“Where’s your court?” Range asked baffled, as he looked back behind Miriam. “What… that old man…that’s your court? Well, for all I know he’s you father.”

“Of course he is Range. You’ve met my father the King of Tyrone…why the play as if you were some child playing a sort of silly game.”

Hearing that last statement, both, Adolf and Alexander held their hands in front of their faces to mask the fact they found the issue amusing.

“Besides…if you were not betrothed why did you fight a duel for me?”

“I thought I was coming to your aid.”

“Always the romantic…aren’t you Range…Well, I forgive you.”

“For What?”

She then poised her next question to the Prince Elector. “Sir…I lay my issue before your feet. Shall not your great nation hold a member of its very own council to his pledge, or shall I return to my land broken hearted and dishonored?”

- OOC: Let's welcome our new member, OrangeYoshi. Another one asked to join. In total, we will be 8. So I guess we could stop hiring new counsellor for now. Any people who would like to join would become advisor = they can advise but they cannot vote. If they prove their worth, we could make them counsellor.

The Prince Elector was indisposed to show to his heir, Ferdinand Maria, such a masquarade. He thought that even if he is 12, needed to know more about the State and how it works.

"Madame, asked the old Prince, do you possess any proof of your claim? And more importantly, are you a good Catholic? I will not permit that an heretic stays in this room more longer."

Last edited:
Miriam drew a step closer, and with a soft angelic voice she tearfully explained, “Goodly Prince… My brother of the Holy Catholic Faith…My family and I are good Roman Catholics, otherwise the Irish Republic would not have allowed us to remain within their borders. It is true, during my father’s exile our land have been ravished by heretics…but, once the throne has been justly returned to my father he and I vow to reward the faithful and drive out the heretics from all of Ireland…Good Prince have mercy on us and believe that we have been tested by God and found worthy…for we trust in Him, even with the lost of our beloved country.”

As for proof...ask the King for he has the parchment that bares our royal seal.

Last edited:
I agree with Sir Range's propositions for our future army. However, at this date, we must be mobile. I would suggest that we only recruit one artillery regiment for every 8 other regiments we recruit.

Also, we should not declare war on anyone at this time. Spain is the Emperor, and they would surely come to the defense of anyone we dared attack.

I propose that we warn Saxony and Wurttumburg to be very careful in their foreign policies, lest they find that we do not like their expansionistic ideals.

Fourth, I propose that we invest fully into improving the attitudes of out people, and leave all other areas barren for now. It should not take long to make out people happy, and after that happens, we should devote 100% of out finaces to research new governments.

Fifth, I propose that we also hire Per Brahe den yngre to help us in our governmental efforts.

We need to cast our vote for Spain to be the next Emperor. They are currently the emperor, and they are in the current majority in the voting. They are big enough to efficiently protect us if someone decides they do not like us anymore.

Lastly, I propose that we follow Austria in all matters of faith, and as they are still good Catholics, we should make all efforts to convert the heretics of Franken back to the state religion.

Euer Exzellenz,

wir neet to Fokus on kreating a massive Kavallerie doom-Stack that ist enough invincible to stopp us being invaded and ist also able to interfere when a lokal Konflikt arises. Mobilität and Superiorität ist a muss.;)

Eure Markgraf von Enewald

Prince Elector…and distinguish members of the council.

I wish to address the matter at hand regarding one Princess Miriam and myself.

This issue comes down to discernment…The Scots hold a belief… that Discernment is better felt than taught.

Allow me a moment to completely state what I know is fact and what I believe to be true…To begin, Me and this Princess…Miriam have met. But, it’s not what she remembers.

It was springtime in 1646 in the province of Connaught in the Republic of Ireland. I was in charge of a small detail that was to protect the grounds of a estate where the exiled King of Tyrone and his daughter princess Miriam were staying. Now, I never met the king…but, it now appears that I may have met the princess.

One night, I was checking out the garden...a big bright moon lit the path. Just ahead of me I thought I saw two figures dart across the path. I called out, ordering them to stop. A moment later I heard a girl scream out...

I reached her just in time to save her…a sword fight ensued and I was able to chase the villains away.

When all was quiet once more, I asked if she was all right. She said that “everything was wonderful” as she stared at me with dreamy eyes. It was Miriam…she couldn’t have been more than thirteen or fourteen at the time. Then, she took my hand and noticed the slight cut that I taken on my hand during the fight…when I clumsily knocked into some thorny brush.

She wanted to tend to the wound, but I wouldn’t let her. She was making me nervous the way she was looking at me. So, I led her back to her quarters…made certain of the guards before setting off after the villains.

The next day my unit crossed the border into Tyrone to fight the English. I never saw her again until she stepped into the council chambers.

So, it’s just a matter of imagination…a young girl under a moonlit sky being saved by her knight in shining armor.

If the Prince wishes…I will speak to the princess discreetly…and have no fear my middle name is discreet.

“It is?” Alexander asked Adolf, whispering.

Adolf just shrugged in reply.

And, discerning that this matter needs a tender heart to gently bring the dear princess to her senses… I feel that it would best for her to hear the truth coming from someone she feels is her intended.

Last edited:
Dear Lords, it is the time to decide

I listened you and here what I propose, as a whole,

1)For the year 1649, all our investments go to increase stability. Wages are decreased to the half. The monthly budet shall be balanced. No war shall be initiated by us this year.

2) As for the advisors, I changed my mind about Calderon de la Barca. We can work on stabilization by ourselves. However I was delighted with the meeting I had with Per Brahe den Yngre. I recommend his nomination to reform our State, which I wish more centralized.

3) As for the army, I recommend the formation of 2 infantry regiment and 1 cavalry, which should cost around 25 ducats. We could continue the effort next year

4) We should send missionaries in Franken, for an approximative cost of 40 ducats.

5) I expect no structure improvement in provinces at the moment but I suggest to establish a recruitment center in each province.

6) A warning must be indeed sent to Wurttenberg and Saxony, who live in heresy. I suggest also, to send an embassy to our ally, the Emperor. As for the imperial throne I prefer to cast for the Hapsburgs since they are our ally. We can change our preference eventually but for the moment I prefer to stick to our neighbor friend.

Do we agree on this?

I mostly agree, but I believe that we must warn more of our surrounding nations. I mean no disrespect mein prinz.

I most humbly agree on all points. God above has truly blessed you my prince and our nation.

And, regarding the matter of Princess Miriam and being betrothed...I have decided that it's right in God's eyes that she and I become man and wife as He has truly brought us together...Now, I'm a level minded man...who finds himself in love...it has to be his work for all is right and good.

I stand before you with eyes of reason...and not with eyes that have been glazed over with passion or lust, but a gentle care for someone I know God meant to be in my life and I in her's...for the feeling we have for each other is wholesome and good...and under his guidance and with fervent prayers I'm certain our life together will display all that He wants good Catholic unions to be. What God has brought together let no man tear apart.

Last edited: