• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Prussian Havoc will we have to keep the same lance (mech/pilot) combination throughout the tournament? Or can we change from match to match?
Great question, I will be sure to adjust the OP accordingly.

A participant's Mechs and MechWarriors can change throughout the tournament. I highly encourage the video -streaming of matches and the contribution of match discussion/AAR's here or to other threads of sites. The ability to chose your own Mech and MechWarrior combination for each round will help keep matches fresh and interesting for all parties.

When you create a PvP match, you can select if "Only stock 'Mechs" and if "Full Lance required" (well, that one I'm not 100% sure but I think so), plus the maximum Cbills allowed. So selecting these options should fix most of the rules. Regarding the mods, if I remember well, in some dev-pre-launch-stream they mentioned that, for multiplayer, mods can work only if both players have the same mod installed (compares the json files), otherwise the program doesn't recognise those changes...

The problem is if you have to play the match with someone that has already created the game and refuses to select those options. It shouldn't happen, but if it does, I would do a screenshot and report it (without playing the game, otherwise may seem that you're a bad looser). Obviously, this is only my opinion/suggestion. But I would like to think that we all understand this is for fun, and we are all grown-up enough to follow the rules to provide fair play :) call me naive

Cheers

Well while I agree with the sentiment. Some people are just more competetive than others and will use every trick they can think of to get an edge. Preparing for something like that might not be a bad idea. But obvious cheats are not possible with stock only and full lance check boxes. The only dick move atm. that i can think of is setting the timer to realy fast or unlimited. @Prussian Havoc as mentioned set timers plz.

Oh and streaming/recording the games is a good idea. 1 To have more fun discussions afterwards and 2 as a savguard against anywrongdoings.

cool can't wait. i'm signed up aswell. @Prussian Havoc I would recommend, that you put all these rules on the challonge side aswell. And that you think about some punichments for failing to complie with the rules. everybody being nice and friendly is a good think and i hope that we will have no problems. But setting up penalites beforhand shut make it easier to resolve conflicts if they arise.
Excellent points Good Sir! :bow:

When it comes to the Tournament Specifics and Considerations above, I'll take a look at the Challonge.com site and at a minimum provide a link back to our OP above. Great idea.

"Grown-Up Rules Apply" - this is how I want to approach the Tournament. I trust pairs of gamers to treat each other with respect and to do the right thing, following the rules with good sportsmanship and as outlined in the OP above.

When a problem results, ANY problem, let me know via PM and I will look to best resolve it. Screen captures will of course help to resolve problems. I will handle problems on a case by case basis.

I have played many BATTLETECH PvP matches. Problems can occur - I look to both players to find a fair resolution and navigate their way to match resolution. For example, if I have all but lost a match and the game disconnects, I would report the game as a victory for my opponent or when we again communicate here, recommend that he or she report it as a win for themselves.

This is a game. This is a FUN game. I do not expect gamers to cheat through Disconnect Exploits, however if anyone thinks this has occurred and can not work with their opponent to come to a fair match resolution, please report the problem to me and I will do my best to resolve it.

"Grown-Up Rules Apply" - I trust all participants to be respectful and mature, graciously accepting either Victory of Loss and moving on... at least until they prove otherwise. And then I will take what steps I can to resolve the situation.

This is a start. We'll build on this as we proceed through the tournament. : )

OP has now been updated to include the 90-second counter and that Mech & MechWarrior selections can be changed between each Round of the Tournament.

any chance that we make that 120-seconds? 90 can be a bit short in some situations. the shorter the time the harder it gets for kiting setups and easier for brawlers.
I respect your insight Good Sir, but I will keep the match duration at 90-seconds.

I've played hundreds of PvP matches between the Beta and now since Launch. I have found 90-seconds to be the Goldilocks Timer, neither too limiting like 60-seconds can be, nor too drawn-out as 120-seconds can be.

Other Tournament Organizers may choose differently, but here 90-second Timers are the Rule.

Thank you for raising the question. :bow:

I would suggest 60 seconds
That should be enough for everyone!
: )

Thank you for helping me prove my point.

I have found 90-seconds to be a very pleasing middle ground. :bow:

But I would like to think that we all understand this is for fun, and we are all grown-up enough to follow the rules to provide fair play :) call me naive

Naive!

Haha. I have been organizing, running, and playing in MP tournaments in turn based strategy game for a long time now. This will happen and people will take advantage of any loop holes they can find. It's the nature of competitive online gaming. I hope this runs off smoothly, but there will be issues with scheduling and playing matches I can guarantee it. Kudos to PH for taking the time to do this and admin it. :)

I'm In. Quick question; I have yet to play a MP match (will remedy that this week to get some practice in), but is there a way to spectate matches between other players that are already being playerd in-game?

no but youtube has some pretty good pvp matches.

Thanks for the answer...wasn't worried about watching other matches in that manner, but having the ability to StreamCast other matches within the tournament. That would be a nice ability to have. But, unfortunately sounds like that is not possible. :(

Well while I agree with the sentiment. Some people are just more competetive than others and will use every trick they can think of to get unlimited...
I have often wondered if just such concerns and their second and third order effects were at least partially to blame for HBS opting to cancel elements of BATTLETECH's Competitie Multiplayer (HBS-run "Prize" Tournamens, League Play, Leaderboards, Near-Peer Matchmaker, etc.)

I will do my best to ensure this tournament goes as smoothly as possible...

...and in that smoothness, help HBS gain insights sufficient to encourage them to revisit their decision to cancel the above Competitive Multiplayer Elements.

So you see... it is really in the best interests of us all to do our part to ensure a smoothly competitive tournament, where the hallmarks are Good Sportsmanship, Respect and Problem Resolving at the lowest level possible. : )

Am I naive? Not really. I've been BattleTech gaming for more than 30-years.

Am I hopefully? You are darn right I am hopefull! : )

I'm In. Quick question; I have yet to play a MP match (will remedy that this week to get some practice in), but is there a way to spectate matches between other players that are already being playerd in-game?

no but youtube has some pretty good pvp matches. Eck and anaro sunfire have uploaded theire mp matches.
@Prussian Havoc 90sec it is then :) Btw. If you are not hearing often enough. you Sir are awsome ^^
Just as @Callidus87 mentioned there are a number of great matches already posted to YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChg_jEBRep60vMGj1T9buQQ) and Twitch (https://m.twitch.tv/eck314/profile) - Chris Eck (aka @HBS_Eck) is the reigning HBS Internal Tournament Champion and a great source of BATTLETECH videos at the highest level of competitiveness. : )

Appreciate the answer on the videos, but I was speaking more from the viewpoint of being able to StreamCast other matches, so we could get this out to the masses more on viewing.