BATTLETECH - v1.9.1 VANILLA, infinite loading screen and SLOW main menu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Norgaladir

Recruit
10 Badges
Dec 6, 2019
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
One line summary of your issue
v1.9.1 VANILLA, infinite loading screen and SLOW main menu

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10 x64

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1.686R

What DLC do you have installed?
Flashpoint, Urban Warfare, Heavy Metal

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Vanilla game, just did a clean re-install because i was having this issue since updating to 1.9.1. ModTek and a handful of small mods are downloaded but NOT enabled (ModTek NOT injected yet).

The opening video is very choppy, maybe 1 frame per 5 seconds. Have to press ESC to skip it or I'll die of old age before it's done. Main menu - hitting ANY menu button results in a very long hang. The mouse can still navigate around the screen but it doesn't open whatever menu I clicked, can't Alt-Tab to another window, and none of the other menu buttons will work. This lasts until the menu music track finishes and loops back to the beginning of the song. Then the game opens the menu I wanted, but if I tried to click on any buttons after that it recognizes those clicks as well. So if I clicked the options button to change some settings, then it hangs and I try to click on Skirmish button, when music loops it opens the options menu for a split second then closes that and opens the Skirmish setup choices. Or if i tried to alt-tab away to another window it will send me there at this point. This reminds me of the days when I would try to check my email over a 14.4 dialup modem... tell the computer to open the website, go boil water for tea while that loads, sign in, go boil more water for spaghetti, come back and tell it to open my first new email, go cook the spaghetti and the sauce, come back and it's still loading. Seriously guys WTF? My beard grows faster than your options menu opens. It seems to be tied to the music recycling loop, but turning all the sound off didn't help. Turning all the graphics options down didn't help either.

Trying to load anything past the main menu (start new game of any kind, go to the Mech Hanger for Skirmish mode, or open the Paradox commander profile editor) results in an infinite loading screen. That's typically a black screen for new game - sometimes after choosing the initial settings first; for profile editor it hangs on trying to load the heraldry emblems - I can click on new paint jobs or try to change my nickname but none of the changes will register, and the emblem list is EMPTY - just that loading circle icon that spins around until the end of time. I've tested these screens out to an extent of 1.5 hour duration, they just never end. The only way around it is to Alt-F4 hard quit, and even then it takes almost 10 minutes to recognize that command. On the profile editor, I can back out by clicking the back arrows on the top left corner, but if I click on ANYTHING else on that screen first then I even lose the ability to click those back arrows.

I'm running an Intel i7 core with 32GB of RAM and a GeForce 1080 graphics card. I have played the game previously on version 1.8 I think and it ran fine until I ran into a separate bug on the "protect convoy" mission (story mission, maybe 4 missions in after the tutorial) that made it impossible to finish when the convoy truck just stopped moving. So I know prior to the 1.9.1 update the game WAS working. Which is why I did a re-install, deleted the savegames off my system, and tried again w/o enabling mods - same result. I also tried using the Steam tool to validate game files and it came up clean. As it stands currently the game is just unplayable. Totally broken. Please help.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
Game was working with v 1.8. Recently updated to 1.9.1, no longer functions right.
Start the game, try to click on ANYTHING on the main menu - takes almost 10 minutes just to open the "Options" menu.
Try to open the Profile Manager, or try to start a game of any kind - loading screen FOREVER, tested for 1.5 hours before Alt-F4 quit.

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    75,8 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    94 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
As you can see there are over 200,000 errors like this in there:
Exception: Invalid TextureFormat. Only DXT1 and DXT5 formats are supported by this method.
I've not seen that error before but I suspect it is a corrupted game installation.

If you run a Steam Verify against the game does it find anything to fix?

If not Please try a **clean** reinstall:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BattleTech\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
(first move the \remote\C#\SGS#\ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- Install the game again
- add steam.exe and BattleTech.exe to the Whitelist of your antivirus app, whatever it is

If you still get any problem, please send me a new dxdiag.txt and output_log.txt , thank you.