BattleTech: Urban Warfare and upping FPS

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marauder3D

Major
7 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
A question for my technological betters: can mid range rigs run this game and get 100 FPS in cities? I'm thinking about updating my video card for this release and the upcoming MW5: Mercs but don't see the point unless I can get some real improvements. I'm currently playing the game at 1440p and around 35 fps in the urban biome.

Here is a speccy read from this morning.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz 34 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1533MHz (17-19-19-37)
Motherboard
MSI Z270 PC MATE (MS-7A72) (U3E1) 28 °C
Graphics
ROG PG279Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) 30 °C
Storage
223GB TOSHIBA-TL100 (SATA (SSD)) 25 °C
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA ) 26 °C

So, my dear gearheads, the question becomes is there a graphics card (RTX 2070, for instance) that would boost frames from 35 to the 75-100 range, or am I just suffering from wishful thinking/delusions of grandeur?

Best,

Mad3D

curious question....why do you desire 100fps in a turn based game?
is it something to do with the performance hit i have heard is hitting some in cities?

i purposely limit mine to 60fps for none shooters.
and i have played UW yet....(1.6 broke ALOT of stuff for modders including mech models which usually doesnt happen)

curious question....why do you desire 100fps in a turn based game?
is it something to do with the performance hit i have heard is hitting some in cities?

i purposely limit mine to 60fps for none shooters.
and i have played UW yet....(1.6 broke ALOT of stuff for modders including mech models which usually doesnt happen)

Well, my rig seems to stutter a bit during LRM sequences even in the least graphically challenging biomes. So looking to hit 100 FPS is a way to minimize the impact of stutter when playing in an urban biome, and having some enemy Stalker try to rain death on my lance.

If I can hit 100 FPS in the down times, I'm hoping a bit of stuttter knocks it down to 60, meaning it won't have a visual impact on game play, since I'm too old and too blind to see the difference between 100 and 50 fps. I can only see the slow down and stutter. :p

I rarely get stutter during LRM salvos (the exception being LRM carriers occasionally cause some stutter, but not often) and my fps is around 60 when nothing is happening. I also run at 'High' graphics settings, not 'Ultra High'.

I rarely get stutter during LRM salvos (the exception being LRM carriers occasionally cause some stutter, but not often) and my fps is around 60 when nothing is happening. I also run at 'High' graphics settings, not 'Ultra High'.

I'm on Ultra High with Bloom and Shadows at low. Maybe I'll drop down to high, but I like the pretty mech p0rn!

Bloom and Shadows are two of the biggest FPS killers on the Urban maps because there are just SO MANY things... :) I didn't touch either of them though, just set the overall quality from 'Ultra High' to 'High'.

Ya turn down bloom and shadows
That advice goes for pretty much any game in less you got a real beefy rig

A question for my technological betters: can mid range rigs run this game and get 100 FPS in cities? I'm thinking about updating my video card for this release and the upcoming MW5: Mercs but don't see the point unless I can get some real improvements. I'm currently playing the game at 1440p and around 35 fps in the urban biome.

Here is a speccy read from this morning.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz 34 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1533MHz (17-19-19-37)
Motherboard
MSI Z270 PC MATE (MS-7A72) (U3E1) 28 °C
Graphics
ROG PG279Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) 30 °C
Storage
223GB TOSHIBA-TL100 (SATA (SSD)) 25 °C
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA ) 26 °C

So, my dear gearheads, the question becomes is there a graphics card (RTX 2070, for instance) that would boost frames from 35 to the 75-100 range, or am I just suffering from wishful thinking/delusions of grandeur?

Best,

Mad3D
Ok, so I know I'm a little late to the party, but I feel I can add some info here. I have an RTX 3090 Suprim X paired with 32Gb 4133 Ram and an OC 9900K. All that horsepower and guess what? In the urban maps, I'm averaging just over 50fps with rare drops into the mid 30's at 1440p w/all settings on ultra. Maybe you need to wait like 10 years before there's a card to play this at high FPS? BTW, my rig is hooked up to a 240hz 1440p monitor, so no it isn't overkill for 1440p :) I used to have the same computer hooked up to a 4k TV before I upgraded from a 2080 Ti and I don't think my framerate was that much less... at 4k! So really, maybe it's a cpu thing or who the heck knows. Still an awesome game though!

Ok, so I know I'm a little late to the party, but I feel I can add some info here. I have an RTX 3090 Suprim X paired with 32Gb 4133 Ram and an OC 9900K. All that horsepower and guess what? In the urban maps, I'm averaging just over 50fps with rare drops into the mid 30's at 1440p w/all settings on ultra. Maybe you need to wait like 10 years before there's a card to play this at high FPS? BTW, my rig is hooked up to a 240hz 1440p monitor, so no it isn't overkill for 1440p :) I used to have the same computer hooked up to a 4k TV before I upgraded from a 2080 Ti and I don't think my framerate was that much less... at 4k! So really, maybe it's a cpu thing or who the heck knows. Still an awesome game though!
So funny that I log in here for the first time in months and you just responded to this. I just upgraded my video card to a 2070 Super, which helped on a number of games but made nearly 0 difference in BattleTech while in cities. So while I'm disappointed to hear your monster rig isn't much better, I guess it confirms that the game and the city biome just aren't optimized for the current level of hardware available.

Battletech has very bad performance in terms of FPS vs image quality. It doesn't really matter for the kind of game it is, but it's very pronounced. Great game built on a very poorly optimized engine, but this was not a big budget game.

Like a 5800X/32 GB RAM/fast SSD/RTX 3070 system can't consistently keep high FPS. And this is hardware that will run Cyberpunk 2077 (itself not that well optimized) at 1440p high detail all day long with no stutter.

I also get better much better FPS in Cyberpunk or basically any other game than the Urban Warfare missions.
Goes from 120 fps or there abouts in any other mission on a 1660ti to a visably jarring 40/30fps during zoom in scenes in the cities.
It's hardly a problem given the nature of the game. However it is atrociously optimised and funnily enough is now running better than before.
Was a huge problem as well as sound bugs when the DLC was first released.
Dissapointed that the optimisation issue was never resolved. All they would have had to do would have been update unity and do some work on removing triangles from the buildings.

As someone who played this game in the low teens of FPS for years... I'm finding myself just in quiet contemplation 40 FPS isn't enough.

(And it may be just me but going over 40 screws with my eyes something fierce. Sort of like 3D movies, only... worse.)

Reactions:
As someone who played this game in the low teens of FPS for years... I'm finding myself just in quiet contemplation 40 FPS isn't enough.

(And it may be just me but going over 40 screws with my eyes something fierce. Sort of like 3D movies, only... worse.)

I kind of know what you mean, I had a lower spec computer and apart from the awful sound bug which was fixed eventually after Urban Warfare, I had a great time, but it's only really noticeable when you get a new PC that is vastly more powerful than the game needs and you notice "smooth as butter" to "Janky". Not the end of the world, just an observation.

I kind of know what you mean, I had a lower spec computer and apart from the awful sound bug which was fixed eventually after Urban Warfare, I had a great time, but it's only really noticeable when you get a new PC that is vastly more powerful than the game needs and you notice "smooth as butter" to "Janky". Not the end of the world, just an observation.

I'll have to keep my eye out, but... yeah, it was strange for me. You know all those weird things which would get posted here in the bugs forum from people with bleeding-edge rigs? My humble little Piece Of Crap was running fine short of having to keep a time limit on how long I played it (or I'd get pink 'Mechs). It always amazed me I'd see posts about "my GPU should be handling this fine and it's not" and I was sitting around going "and my integrated chip shouldn't be running this game at all and it's chugging fine".

My final takeaway from conversations like this and those? PC rigs are weird.

• 3Like
Reactions:
My Machine isn't much different to yours and I'm experiencing the same performance. After looking at HWinfo it's clear that it's caused by sever under-utilization of the GPU. Most missions don't use the full gpu, but they still give it a work out (80-90% power draw and 70% gpu load). One Urban missions though it's lucked to be 65% power draw and 40% gpu load. Temperatures are even 10-20 degrees C lower across the core and memory. There's no real justification for it.

So funny that I log in here for the first time in months and you just responded to this. I just upgraded my video card to a 2070 Super, which helped on a number of games but made nearly 0 difference in BattleTech while in cities. So while I'm disappointed to hear your monster rig isn't much better, I guess it confirms that the game and the city biome just aren't optimized for the current level of hardware available.
Hi Marauder! Now that it's 2023 I can confirm it's a CPU bottleneck. I have the same gpu (3090), but am now running a 13900k, and guess what? I'm running around 90-100fps, with brief drops into the 60's. And I thought the 9900k was a beast. Pffft. And yes, still playing Battletech, great game forever.

Hi Marauder! Now that it's 2023 I can confirm it's a CPU bottleneck. I have the same gpu (3090), but am now running a 13900k, and guess what? I'm running around 90-100fps, with brief drops into the 60's. And I thought the 9900k was a beast. Pffft. And yes, still playing Battletech, great game forever.
Well that would explain things. I don't intend to upgrade my 7700 until it dies. I'm not gaming at all these days, and I scratch my BattleTech itch with playing the board game and painting minis.

Next time I do have some spare time to fire up the video game, I'll just put my settings lower and not worry about FPS. Prolly shouldn't have worried about it then either.!