• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zakhodit

Captain
10 Badges
Feb 24, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Hello Friends,

At this time, we don't have the leader board we had hoped for. @Prussian Havoc spent a lot of time and posted a top 50. While it was a good look at who is active in multiplayer, it had a bias toward participation over skill. However, it is the best we have right now.

The following is my proposal to give us a "Top 20" Board that will be more accurate than counting who plays the most but will still be less optimal than an actual ELO rank or other official metric.

College Sports in the United States has this issue every year. 100 or so teams but no real way to determine who is the best or where they should be ranked. They have a poll system that while is imperfect, is more accurate than having nothing. Especially a "coaches" poll where the coaches of the teams rank all the teams themselves. It's done honestly and by those who understand the game from the inside out. This isn't popularity but rather an honest assessment of who is a strong opponent and who is still improving.

I propose that twice a week, the "coaches" of Battletech rank the top 25 players, as they see them. From one to twenty five. (But, Zak. You said Top 20) Yes voice in my head. I did. This is where it gets tricky. To explain, Lets look at an example:

Player 1: 1
Player 2: 2
Player 3: 3
Player 4: 4
Palyer 5: 5

Okay, easy enough. There are the top five and they are ranked one through five. But this is useless. This is one opinion and it doesn't give us enough to go on. So what if the second Coach ranked them like this:

Player 2: 1
Player 1: 2
Player 5: 3
Player 4: 4
Player 3: 5

Holy Cats! Is this guy nuts! Player 3 is way bett- Sorry. *Ahem* This is a second opinion. So how do we settle this? each rank is worth points. In a 25 player list, Rank One is worth 25 points. Rank Two is worth 24 points all the way down to Rank Twenty Five which is worth 1 point. In this tiny example, Rank one is worth 5 points and so on. So to tally up the score we get this:

Player 1: 1 (9 Points)
Player 2: 1 (9 Points)
Player 3: 2 (4 Points)
Player 4: 2 (4 Points)
Player 5: 2 (4 Points)

We get a bunch of ties. But that's because we only had two coaches. If we had 20 coaches, we'd have less ties and a better idea of who is perceived as the best. And this is why the coaches will rank 25 players, but we'll only list 20. It helps weed out ties. But the more voters, the more likely we don't have ties. Its very important that we have as many voters as possible.

For this to work we need to pull together. The more effort we put in as a community the better our top 20 board will be. I think we will need an Excel wizard. That will make this easier. (I am not that guy.) And to keep the voting as honest as possible it helps if it is as anonymous as possible.

And that last bit is real tricky. Someone needs to take the votes, remove the names of the voter, and send the numbers to the Excel Wizard. This can be the same as the excel wizard. Either way, this takes effort and volunteers.

That's my pitch. If you like the idea, give me an agree. If you don't like it or don't think it's worth the time invested, give me a disagree. If you want to volunteer to help make it work, Rodger up and we'll figure it out.

well we could try it. its gonna be a lot of work to make it happen. also we need a spreadsheet warrior to come forth and volunteer for a second job. Actually do you think we could have any luck getting the official hbs community reps to handle the spreadsheet lifiting? some body that knows them ought to ask if they would be willing to tabulate the votes and strip the names.

@Zakhodit, I like it and agree.

Rather than a Coaches' Poll t would be a "BATTLETECH Gamer Poll" or something like that.

Right now, the more "takes" we have on Leaderboard construction and production the better. It all helps get the word out and to energize the player base.

If links or pics of Challonge matches or ISW matches where the Top20 have faced one another (especially the Top 5) are made available here, it would help to better inform voters.

And the more information and Head-to-Head results made available, the greater the likelihood the Poll will be based in past-performance, rather than be tainted even a bit by being a popularity contest... something that to some, is a problem in American College Football's Coaches' Poll, especially early in the Season. : )

Survey Monkey is a great choice!

Wasn't that what HBS used during the Beta to cull data from us?

I think we should set up a long term BattleTech league, initially with 4 divisions of 4 players.

Each division plays as the host and away player on the same, randomly decided map which runs over a fortnight. C-Bill limits to be randomly chosen before each round between 15m, 20m, and 25m.

3 points if a player manages two wins, 1 point each if both players win a single match each.

After 6 weeks, the bottom player in each division gets relegated and the top player promoted to the division above.

This way, we'll have a new top player every 6 weeks (actually, that'll probably just be WillaimVonBillhelmHelmet if he chooses to play...) and It'll only require the commitment of one match a week.

If both matches aren't played in over a two-week period, both players get one point.

Keep a record of mechs lost/match as well to be used in the event of ties at the end of the season, with the player who has lost fewest mechs being placed ahead in the event of a draw.

We can also hold a qualifying single elimination tournament for players wishing to take the bottom spot in tier 4, with a cap of 8 players each round, first come first served. Additional names go onto a list to be entered into the following qualifying round.

I think we have a large enough pool of reliable players now that this could work, but I'm not sure if we have enough to support more divisions yet.

So, basically, it would work out as one match per week for players in the league and probably something similar for the qualifying tournament.

Last edited:
I have a survey. I'll keep it open until Sunday at midnight GMT -8

And every two weeks we'll open it back up for more voting.

I removed the poll from open samples.

If you would like to take the poll message me privately on Discord and I will give you a link.

Last edited: