BATTLETECH stays responsive but never loads past credit logos

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Digressor808

Private
15 Badges
Dec 3, 2017
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
HareBrained, Paradox, Unity, then a pretty and functional cursor but no starting trailer or anything else. This started suddenly 2 days ago after thoroughly enjoying 175 hours of the game with very few crashes to desktop in that time (maybe 2 - 3). But, after the last one it became as I just described. So I reinstalled, same issue. So I updated my gfx drivers, reinstalled no joy, so rolled them back. Then I looked up the clean uninstall instructions and followed those including the 3 folder deletions and deleting the HKEY....BATTLETECH registry entry. Reinstalled, still no joy.

I also formerly had the backup to cloud ticked in steam and unticked it before I deleted the save game files as part of the clean reinstallation.

I never ran any mods, PC is intel Coffee Lake 3800K, 32 GB RAM, RX580 Graphics running windows 10.

I'm have attached that text log file, I hope it helps!

edit: typos

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    6,3 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message contained an invalid tag (zero).
at Google.Protobuf.CodedInputStream.ReadTag () [0x0011b] in <f9cf94bbbfb041d0abe88cee5be00fc7>:0
Please go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\ and delete the profiles.dat file .
Note it may be under Local, LocalLow or Roaming, depending. To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Excellent! That's got it. I even seem to have my save games though I thought I had turned off Steam cloud and deleted all local saves.

If I may ask, is there something to the assertion that BATTLETECH gets borked less off local saves, or has that been patched out by now / never really was an issue?

I'm not aware of any systemic difference between saving locally or to the cloud with this game.

Please go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\ and delete the profiles.dat file .
Note it may be under Local, LocalLow or Roaming, depending. To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

I just had the same issue and the suggested fix worked properly. Thanks. Do you have any clue about the cause?

If you had not played for a long time then the format of an old profiles.dat may not work with the current game version.

That aside, not really!