• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Balla.. I can't answer that one.. that would be a major "new" feature that would be more for the folks at HBS to do.... I'm not sure it could even be done by modders as I suspect it would entail a full on re-write of some of the base code. While HBS is cool with modding, that may be pushing the limit of what they are willing to allow.

It's difficult to explain why, but modding does have limits on what is allowed though HBS has been very cool about what been put in mods. But a thing I see across the industry is once mods start digging into core game code publishers start drawing lines and sending out DMCA notices. We don't want that!

Most of the limits are technical in nature rather, than legal. Most of the legal/license issues come into play about getting tools from HBS for things like map building. Overall HBS has been very supportive of mods that have done extensive overhauls of game. As for not wanting to dig into core game code, the mods and frameworks included in BTR (and most other modpacks) already dig in deep to the core of the game.

Reactions:
I apologize if that seems even remotely harsh, but you shoulda seen some of the rather rude private messages I got after I announced this mod over on Steam and I want to make it very clear that this mod is for hard core gamers that want a tough challenge. If they want lots and lots of toys to play thinking that makes for a better game folk need to look elsewhere because they don't understand computer games or how to balance them OR what we're trying to do.. They just want OP game play and ego stroking, Nope! We aint doing that.

Meh, I'm not interested in Death Star cannons and free assault mechs. What I want is the most authentic, balanced 3025 experience possible. This is my favorite mod so far, and by a wide margin. My idea of the perfect BT game would be this mod combined with Mojo Amok's ideas - multiple Leopards, simulated simultaneous deployments, dynamic mini campaigns, and so forth. I recognize that a lot of what Mr. Amok proposed is likely impossible, but hey, dare to dream...

Here's a quick feedback list of stuff I love, plus one small issue.

The issue -

The pop-up that lets you fix armor after missions sometimes reacts oddly with the repair system in the mech bay, and I end up with mechs that have had their internals repaired but not their armor. I've tried mashing the repair armor button during refits. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's not a big deal - I just have to put the mech in the shop for one additional day - but on the occasions when I haven't noticed it's been inconvenient.

The stuff I like -
  • Urbies are flippin' dangerous! The little buggers are always late to the party, but they arrive at inconvenient times and never seem to miss. I've lost several arms, legs, and even torsos to long range AC/10 shots from Urbies that I didn't consider a threat.
  • Wasps are useful! I've had to drop with a Wasp in my lance about 10 times, and while it's not as useful as a Panther or Firestarter would have been, it didn't feel like a hopeless liability.
  • I love that overheating has consequences. I'm always careful about that, but the AI takes some chances. In one mission my lance (Clint, Vulcan, Firebee, Wasp) was up against a Flea, a Griffin, and a Crusader. In the beginning my shots weren't landing and I was getting chewed up. Then - if I'm understanding things right - the Crusader overheated and blew itself up. Things went my way after that.
  • The fatigue and injury system is well done. I've had to use all my pilots, but I've never felt like I was an unlucky injury away from losing the game.
  • The AI is more aggressive and generally better.
  • The panic system is well balanced relative to the loot system. I'm playing with 5-part chassis (which has actually been a bit too easy) but I'm not swimming in mechs. In 25 missions I've managed to add a Firebee and 2 Firestarters, but the tradeoff in potential cash earnings has been steep.
  • Weapon balance is great. and the + weapons are better - especially if you stack them - but not orders of magnitude better. Yes, I kind of miss boating low weight, high damage, extreme range UAC/2s, but balance is better.
  • Love the new skills trees.
Stuff I wish was included -
  • Anything and everything from Mojo Amok's ideas.
  • Limited mechwarrior skill points where each MW gets a set number of total skill points, with the totals following a bell curve. I just think it would be more interesting if the average MW topped out at like 31-32 points, with traits that gave the player an idea of how much growth potential each one had. MWs with the potential to become 10/10/10/10 demigods would be rare and exciting to find, and hiring decisions would be based finding the right tradeoff between a potential hire's current skill level and their estimated potential. Bonus points if skill acquisition were increased, so that there was constant tension between keeping an experienced, average MW
So that's all I have. Thanks for a great mod.

Meh, I'm not interested in Death Star cannons and free assault mechs. What I want is the most authentic, balanced 3025 experience possible. This is my favorite mod so far, and by a wide margin. My idea of the perfect BT game would be this mod combined with Mojo Amok's ideas - multiple Leopards, simulated simultaneous deployments, dynamic mini campaigns, and so forth. I recognize that a lot of what Mr. Amok proposed is likely impossible, but hey, dare to dream...

Here's a quick feedback list of stuff I love, plus one small issue.

The issue -

The pop-up that lets you fix armor after missions sometimes reacts oddly with the repair system in the mech bay, and I end up with mechs that have had their internals repaired but not their armor. I've tried mashing the repair armor button during refits. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's not a big deal - I just have to put the mech in the shop for one additional day - but on the occasions when I haven't noticed it's been inconvenient.

The stuff I like -
  • Urbies are flippin' dangerous! The little buggers are always late to the party, but they arrive at inconvenient times and never seem to miss. I've lost several arms, legs, and even torsos to long range AC/10 shots from Urbies that I didn't consider a threat.
  • Wasps are useful! I've had to drop with a Wasp in my lance about 10 times, and while it's not as useful as a Panther or Firestarter would have been, it didn't feel like a hopeless liability.
  • I love that overheating has consequences. I'm always careful about that, but the AI takes some chances. In one mission my lance (Clint, Vulcan, Firebee, Wasp) was up against a Flea, a Griffin, and a Crusader. In the beginning my shots weren't landing and I was getting chewed up. Then - if I'm understanding things right - the Crusader overheated and blew itself up. Things went my way after that.
  • The fatigue and injury system is well done. I've had to use all my pilots, but I've never felt like I was an unlucky injury away from losing the game.
  • The AI is more aggressive and generally better.
  • The panic system is well balanced relative to the loot system. I'm playing with 5-part chassis (which has actually been a bit too easy) but I'm not swimming in mechs. In 25 missions I've managed to add a Firebee and 2 Firestarters, but the tradeoff in potential cash earnings has been steep.
  • Weapon balance is great. and the + weapons are better - especially if you stack them - but not orders of magnitude better. Yes, I kind of miss boating low weight, high damage, extreme range UAC/2s, but balance is better.
  • Love the new skills trees.
Stuff I wish was included -
  • Anything and everything from Mojo Amok's ideas.
  • Limited mechwarrior skill points where each MW gets a set number of total skill points, with the totals following a bell curve. I just think it would be more interesting if the average MW topped out at like 31-32 points, with traits that gave the player an idea of how much growth potential each one had. MWs with the potential to become 10/10/10/10 demigods would be rare and exciting to find, and hiring decisions would be based finding the right tradeoff between a potential hire's current skill level and their estimated potential. Bonus points if skill acquisition were increased, so that there was constant tension between keeping an experienced, average MW
So that's all I have. Thanks for a great mod.

Thanks for the feedback! I am the lead designer of Battletech Revised....

The limited mechwarrior skills feature you want is already in BTR and always has been! I wish all feature requests were so easy to forfill :D.

I hope you continue to enjoy the mod!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the feedback! I am the lead designer of Battletech Revised....

The limited mechwarrior skills feature you want is already in BTR and always has been! I wish all feature requests were so easy to forfill :D.

I hope you continue to enjoy the mod!

Well I'll be. I read the skills page and never thought to look lower. It's not precisely what I had in mind, but it's still good. Nice work.

I don't think people like the Paradox forums - can't post links, no custom avatars, extremely active moderation, etc. Plus the game is no longer being expanded, so there's some bleed off there. I've been trying to get revive the Large Scale Mech Thread from the old forums since day 1 of the move, with no real success.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately I find Discord less than appealing & difficult to focus on.
At least in a forum you have a coherent thread to read through.

I feel the same way. That's why I'm here, despite the fact that it's a virtual ghost town that I never liked to begin with. I think that the "no unauthorized links" piece is the biggest issue. Yes, the developers have stepped away, but the modding scene is pretty lively and might have kept people interested. But if modders can't link to their mods then what's the point of a mod forum?

I know that Paradox has had problems with Klanners, Nazis, White supremacists, and other scumbags that see Crusader Kings as a chance to rewrite history and redeem their loser heroes. I get either restricting links and avatars or having a large team of moderators and encouraging them to be ultra vigilant. I don't get having both, at least not on a forum that's not full of Nazis. I miss the old HBS forums.

Oh well. It's all water under the bridge at this point. I'll keep posting here until I find someplace better.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So how are people building their MWs, given the limited number of points available? According to the skills and abilities page it's possible to get point distributions of 10/9/6/6, 10/10/4/4, 10/8/7/6, and 8/8/8/8, so I'm assuming that's accurate. If so I'm thinking of the following:

• Boxer - 10/9/6/6 with Multitarget, Breaching Shot, and Bulwark - High accuracy damage dealer, Called Shot Mastery, good movement, decent survivability and toughness (both mech and pilot), and the ability to push initiative back with Called Shot
  • Slugger - 9/10/6/6 with Multitarget, Breaching Shot, and Bulwark - High accuracy damage dealer, strong melee, good movement, decent survivability and toughness (both mech and pilot), and the ability to push initiative back with Called Shot
  • Jack of All Trades (Indirect Fire Support, Scout, Flanker) - 8/6/7/10 with Bulwark, Sensor Lock and Master Tactician - Good shot, good LRM boat captain, decent movement, decent survivability and toughness (both mech and pilot), evasion stripping with Sensor Lock, passive resolve bonus, long view range, initiative bonus
  • Sniper - 10/4/4/10 with Multitarget, Breaching Shot, and Sensor Lock - High accuracy damage dealer built to get the most out of Called Shot - CS Mastery, can use CS after jumping, can push initiative back with CS, long sight range, passive Resolve bonus
What I like is that only one of those builds seems limiting. They all have flexibility, depending on the mech being used and how it's armed. The Jack of All Trades could effectively work as sniper, scout/flanker, or indirect fire support. The Boxer is a good build for a Marauder and the Slugger is better for a Grasshopper, but both would be fine in either role and both would hold up fine in the late game. The Sniper is a bit of a one trick pony, but the trick is pretty good.

I'm still not too impressed with Sure Footing or Ace Pilot. The new Coolant Vent looks good, but not as good as MT or BS, plus the passives in the Gunnery, Tactics, and Piloting lines are all better than the Guts passives.

Other folks have other ideas?

I hadn't really analised it in that fashion, TBH.
Very seldom do I get into late game career, I usually restart when there is a significant update.
Most of my MW training is tuned to the mechs I have available,
I am using a 5 piece mech build & despite making decent money & upgrading the Argo effectively, my heaviest mech is still the Cicada I started out with.
Perhaps on next play though I will drop that to 4 pieces.

I hope the Mod Team visit here occasionally.
I would just like to give a bit of feedback on the most recent iterations.

The overall feel & flow of the mod is really good.
Gameplay is smooth & challenging.
I really like how Mech Engineer has been implemented.
It is interesting & involving, without the grind of micro-management, & the frustration of having to obtain each individual item.
As I have said before, I do hope at some point the team will manage to succssfully implement the Clans, but I do appreciate it may be a bear to do it.

One thing I do not like is the castration of Mech Bonding.
It added a lot of colour & immersion to have each MW with their own favourite mech variants.
That is how some people feel about their motorcycles or cars.
I feel it loses a lot being oversimplified to just have it as Light, Medium, Heavy & Assault.
Why was that changed?
Is it an implementation issue?

Another thing I mentioned earlier, which may be impossible, is this.
At launch of contract, have the battle map displayed & have a choice of say three drop / spawn points on the map tactically selectable by the player?
Is that feasable?

Just some thoughts of mine.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Not likely, ablomis noted it's a lot of work to port it from one modpack to another. And it requires the IS map (so that you have Solaris), which BTR refuses to use

It does indeed look really nice, I cant wait until we get it released into RT. but I would not hold your breath on a release for BTR as ablomis has stated for multiple reasons he will not be doing a release outside of BEX and RT for it, nor do I see him giving permission for someone else to do such a conversion

Yes it takes inspiration from pilot quirks' mech bonding feature, but expands upon it and makes it much more configurable. There is also alot of other features that the released version doesn't have configured that will come into play in rt.