BattleTech novels from Kickstarter

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lambesk

Recruit
Feb 7, 2020
Hello. I just recently bought the Mercenary collection, but one thing I haven't been able to find at this point is the four novellas written by Michael Stackpole that were available to Kickstarter backers. Is there anyway to get a copy of these novellas? I can't seem to find them anywhere. It would be nice to have an option to get them for those of us who didn't hear about the Kickstarter until well after the fact. Thanks!

Hello. I just recently bought the Mercenary collection, but one thing I haven't been able to find at this point is the four novellas written by Michael Stackpole that were available to Kickstarter backers. Is there anyway to get a copy of these novellas? I can't seem to find them anywhere. It would be nice to have an option to get them for those of us who didn't hear about the Kickstarter until well after the fact. Thanks!

I am not sure if they are/were available outside of the Kickstarter. Your request might be considered a request to violate copyright, although i'm NOT in a position to make the call. Just an FYI.

I'd be willing to purchase the books if they were available. I've purchased quite a few on DriveThru RPG recently. That's the problem though. They don't even have an option to buy the books to the best of my knowledge. To compound the issue is that they're written by arguably one of the most influential BattleTech authors ever, so there are probably a lot of people like myself who would want to buy them. The fact that they tie-in to the game (presumably) is just icing on the cake.

I am not sure if they are/were available outside of the Kickstarter. Your request might be considered a request to violate copyright, although i'm NOT in a position to make the call. Just an FYI.
As far as copyright... if they were provided as physical copies, I'd obviously be able to re-sell them. Since duplicating electronic copies is trivial, that makes it more of a grey area legally... but if I were to re-sell mine and actually deleted my version of them I'd at least be OK morally even if the law hasn't caught up yet.

Oh, and a quick check of the original Kickstarter campaign didn't turn up any talk of the novels being "Kickstarter exclusives", so I don't see any reason they couldn't sell them. Not sure why they wouldn't, really, but it's not our call.

Last edited:
The Novellas were Kickstarter Backer rewards. They are unavailable at this time to anyone that wasn't a Backer before release. They might eventually be compiled into one novel or made available elsewhere, but if that were to occur my guess it would most likely be released later by CGL. Currently, they are also not necessarily canon, if that matters to you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The HBS BATTLETECH Kickstarter Novellas are not currently sold by Catalyst. The House Book:Arano was not part of the Kickstarter either. Any other PDFs that were available from the Kickstarter were already existing older products.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the details. I would like to read them, but I guess I have plenty enough with the other novels I've gotten at this point. I just figured that everything Stackpole wrote in regards to BattleTech would be considered canon considering his past history. Thanks again.

Thanks for the details. I would like to read them, but I guess I have plenty enough with the other novels I've gotten at this point. I just figured that everything Stackpole wrote in regards to BattleTech would be considered canon considering his past history. Thanks again.
Well, the only reason they're not officially canon is because they are based on the HBS BATTLETECH game, and not the TT. The previous TT Line Dev had said they were fully intended to be canon eventually, but no word has been said on their current status.

To be fair (and unless I missed something) these "four novellas" are basically a single novel that was delivered piecemeal in four bits. A good read and living up to Stackpole's standards, though.