• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eadsbee

Recruit
Apr 28, 2018
One line summary of your issue
No MechWarrior Chatter

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I have no in game MechWarrior Chatter. I'm running the game on steam. I have toggled the MechWarrior Chatter box on and off, during game play and in the menus before entering game play. It does not work in skirmish or campaign. In audio settings, I have made sure the volume for voices is all the way up. I have made sure I have the latest Realtek audio drivers installed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. In addition, the audio messages that pop up on the left side of the screen while on a mission do show up, but are not read aloud. The sound effect that plays shortly before spoken audio is supposed to be played does play, but nothing is played afterword. No dialogue for characters during the menus play either.

Steps to reproduce the issue
I'm uncertain how this issue could be reproduced.

Upload attachment

Upvote 0
Experiencing the exact same issue. Fairly annoying since that element brings a lot of the "feel" to the in-game audio. I didn't even realize that the crew on the DropShip were also supposed to speak as I'm not hearing that audio either. I've attempted all the same audio configuration toggles without success.

Running on Win10 with an SB Recon 3D PCIe audio card.

Quick question for you Majorachre, if you type a word into google and it gives you a definition and you click the audio button next to it, can you hear the audio that reads the word aloud? You can also do this at dictionary.com. I can not hear the audio on either, but the little audio icon that pops up in google chrome on the tab the website is on does pop up. I'm think this might be linked to my problem in Battletech. Additionally, for things like youtube videos, the audio plays fine. It might be certain kinds of audio files our computers are having an issue with.

UPDATE: I used the "Inspect page source" option in Google Chrome and found the original audio file for one of their definitions. They're MP3s. Here's one of them.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/dictionary/static/sounds/20160317/didactic--_us_1.mp3
I can't hear anything when I play this in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, even though the audio icon still pops up in the tab, but I can when I download the file and then open it with a program, in my case, Groove Music. Again, I'm not sure if this is connected, but it might be.

Last edited:
I have solved my problem. I hope it works for you. I had my speakers set up for 7.1 surround sound and did not realize this. I only have 2 stereo speakers and a sub-woofer. I found my Realtek HD Audio Manager which is a hidden icon on my task bar, right clicked on it and then left clicked on Sound Manager. For me this launched Republic of Gamers SupremeFX. Smack dab in the middle of the window is as Speaker Configuration drop down box. Just select what ever set up you have. In my case it was Stereo. I'm guessing the software will be different for other folks depending on what they have, but there should be a really similar path to find how to change or check your speaker set up. Also, other folks might have the correct speaker configuration, but switching to stereo might fix it. It's possible there's some bug with surround sound. Not sure which speaker the MechWarrior chatter is supposed to come out of in 5.1 or 7.1.

I felt pretty dumb not realizing this, but to be fair, I'm borrowing this computer to play Battletech and it was previously used as an HTPC. So the previous owner having it set for 7.1 makes sense. Also, it did fix my problem with Google and Dictionary.com reading words as well.

Last edited:
Far from dumb, I'm impressed at your persistence in getting this solved! I've seen at least two other cases, so this will be VERY useful - thank you very much!

I haven't got it completely locked down because unfortunately I have to use headphones right now - but I did try messing with speaker settings and have possibly improved results. I have a 4.1 speaker setup and with SB configuration set at 5.1 (there is no 4.1 option) it's not smart enough to mix the FL / FR into the center channel. It has an option to deselect the center channel and that seems to fix Google and Dictionary.com. I suspect the "bug" in the game (if you want to call it that) is that it's playing center channel voices directly to the center and isn't enabling the ability to mix FL / FR to achieve center channel on 4.1 systems. It frankly seems more like a Windows speaker configuration limitation than a game bug, but other games I have (BF1 for example) don't have this issue.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup and this problem. So I have to set my speaker setup to stereo in windows to get the chatter ? Is there a way to save the speaker setup for each program ?

Had the same Problem and did a change to Stereo. The Game dosen´t support 7.1 and 5.1 Sounds with Subwovers at the moment. If you have a Soundcard [like Soundblaster] and the confirmed Software for that in Autostart, it´s very easy to change the Setting in less than 30 Seconds incl. testing.

Easy Answer: Yes you have to set your speakers to Stereo to get the full chatter.

Nope. And it isn´t nessecarry to have that complexity, because you have only 3 easy Settings to make for every good Soundcard [7.1, 5.1 or Stereo].

Don´t use internal Soundcards on CPU´s or Mainboards, over 90 % of the modern and very good Games don´t like them.

Last edited:
I have also confirmed the above information. My SoundBlaster configuration app allows me to deselect the center channel, essentially converting my setup to 4.1. After doing that, the center audio content (Mech Chatter for instance) is redirected to the FL / FR speakers and audible. Essentially the game needs some speaker configuration options but given that they're probably relying on Windows speaker configuration API, it's sort of a Microsoft problem that they don't recognize 4.1 configurations.

If a true 5.1 speaker system is in use (mine is 4.1 without a physical center speaker) and properly configured in Windows and you still don't get center audio chatter, that sounds like a game bug.

This is a bug and should be fixed.

Here are my DxDiag.txt and output_log.txt files.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    81,1 KB · Views: 209
  • output_log.txt
    20,3 KB · Views: 58
Here are my DxDiag.txt and output_log.txt files.
I don't think we can tell from those files what your audio setup is. Do you have a 4.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup? And is that correctly reflected in the Windows audio setup?

I have a 5.1 audio setup. Other games can use the 5.1 audio setup. Windows correctly plays audio on the correct speaker in Windows Audio setup.

Attachments

• Audio.PNG
    Audio.PNG
    25,5 KB · Views: 26
  • Audio2.PNG
    Audio2.PNG
    16,2 KB · Views: 17
Over a year later all DLC out and this "bug" is still happening without a single reply from the developers... This bug kills the immersion as you play. I only have this problem with BattleTech, i am using Logitech G935 wireless headset with 7.1 surround capabilities and no chatter... Developers don't you think its time to get out of the 90's and add support for surround sound?