• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

m0xeys

Recruit
Feb 23, 2021
One line summary of your issue
No audio in cut scene

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1-686R

What DLC do you have installed?
None

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I don't have any audio in the first cut scene after the tutorial

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
Play the first tutorial mission, watch the cutscene about the uncle starting a civil war, be depressed because you have to go look it up on youtube after so that you can actually hear the audio :(

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    85,2 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    25,7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
If you search this forum for "chatter" there's an issue there, IIRC when the game is trying to use surround sound but Window isn't. Could that be the issue there?

Either way, is it only in that one cut scene this happens, are you saying?

I'm not seeing any option in the battletech sound settings to swap between headphones and 5.1?

I'm using headphones on my PC, and windows shows they are read as stereo and not a 5.1 system.

A cursory google search shows that this appears to be a very common issue with no clear solution? (seeing multiple steam and reddit threads referencing this bug, but the forum won't let me add the links here because its flagged as "spammy" content).

I can't say if it extends to other cutscenes because I haven't moved forward in the game yet.

From what I read in the thread here I referenced, the issue was in Windows rather than the game - it was set to say 5.1 when there were only headphones or 2 speakers. The game saw Windows was set to 5.1 and tried to direct the chatter to the non-existent extra speakers.

From your Dxdiag the Windows default sound output is:
Description: Speakers (Schiit Modi 3+)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Is that where the other sound is coming from? Can you see if it is set to Stereo or 5.1 or something else?

From what I read in the thread here I referenced, the issue was in Windows rather than the game - it was set to say 5.1 when there were only headphones or 2 speakers. The game saw Windows was set to 5.1 and tried to direct the chatter to the non-existent extra speakers.

From your Dxdiag the Windows default sound output is:

Is that where the other sound is coming from? Can you see if it is set to Stereo or 5.1 or something else?
Right, I recognize it's a weird one. That is where sound is coming from (and it's also set to the default device in sound settings), and it's set to Stereo.

FYI the device in question is a DAC that feeds into an AMP, which my headphones are plugged into.

Attachments

• dac_amp_stereo.png
    dac_amp_stereo.png
    41,3 KB · Views: 0
I don't know then, that looks fine to me.

Can you redirect Windows sound to another output and see if the problem moves there?

If so I guess this is a game bug, although why it does not affect everyone I'm not sure!

While this forum is labelled "Bug Reports" it is in practise also Tech Support, since there is no separate forum for that with this game. My first job is to determine which it is!

Your issue could easily have been some configuration issue. If it is a game bug, that is a shame since there will be no more patches or updates for this game, it looks like.