• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Edmon

TheEdmon on YouTube
34 Badges
Jul 11, 2014
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
This guide will help you to uninstall BattleTech cleanly if you have issues or have mods which have not uninstalled properly or have broken since v1.1. This method has been known to fix issues even if you've not modded (but have had issues since v1.1.).

One does not simply Right Click > Uninstall BattleTech.

Here is a video for making the regedit described below:

Note, you may also find data in the following location on windows 10:
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\

[Moderator edit]
Please excuse me @Edmon for editing your post, but I wanted to get this information all in one place!

- another way of getting into AppData in Windows Explorer is to click on View up the top, and tick the box "view hidden items".

- a further measure has been seen to be needed to clear old modification and other game data in some cases. This should be done after the uninstall process Edmon describes, before installing again:
Open up RegEdit.exe, navigate to 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH'. Now delete the 'CachedSettings_h2706256392’ key
Note this too is potentially dangerous, ask for help if you are not confident in this!

- here are equivalent file system locations for GoG users:
The equivalent of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
is
C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\

The equivalent of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\
is
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\BATTLETECH\

c:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\ is the same for Steam and GoG versions.

What the GoG equivalent for turning off Steam cloud sync is I do not know, I'm sorry. Hopefully GoG users do or can find that!
AndrewT

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I was able to play BattleTech before the 1st update and now the games crashes when I try to start in.
I have cleanly removed BattleTech as the video has told me to and it didn't work.
can someone help?

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    157,4 KB · Views: 14
  • error.log
    23,5 KB · Views: 16
  • output_log.txt
    13,5 KB · Views: 23
I was able to play BattleTech before the 1st update and now the games crashes when I try to start in.
I have cleanly removed BattleTech as the video has told me to and it didn't work.
can someone help?

Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics (ID=0x22b1)
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 1116 MB
Driver: 20.19.15.4835

Your computer/laptop seems to be using an internal intel HD graphics card. Check your settings to ensure your gaming graphics card is being used instead.

One good way to do this, is to simply disable this card from the device manager or even better, from the bios.

I hope this helps.

Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics (ID=0x22b1)
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 1116 MB
Driver: 20.19.15.4835

Your computer/laptop seems to be using an internal intel HD graphics card. Check your settings to ensure your gaming graphics card is being used instead.

One good way to do this, is to simply disable this card from the device manager or even better, from the bios.

I hope this helps.

I only seem to have the one graphics card and I'm hesitant to uninstall it.

How did you manage to obtain a 1.0.4? I just purchased BT on GOG, the oldest backup on GOG Galaxy now is 1.3.1.

steam goes all the way back to 1.04

How did you manage to obtain a 1.0.4? I just purchased BT on GOG, the oldest backup on GOG Galaxy now is 1.3.1.
For GoG you need to enable the beta channels.

Back when I figured out how to do it, I wrote detailed instructions over on another thread:
It's convoluted, but appears to be possible (I did not, however, actually go through with the download).

First off, your Paradox account needs to know that you own the game so that you can get the relevant code.
  1. Go to the https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games link.
  2. If your copy already shows up there, great! Skip to step 7 below. (Click "Show".)
  3. Ignore all of the "Link your Steam and Paradox accounts" stuff.
  4. Get your Serial Key for Battletech from gog.com. (IMPORTANT: I was not able to find this in GOG Galaxy, only on the website.)
    1. Log into your account.
    2. Go to Battletech in your Library.
    3. Select "Serial Keys" from the "More" drop-down menu.
  5. On the Paradox Plaza page, click "Redeem" and enter your serial key there.
  6. Go back the Games page.
  7. Next to "Access Earlier Versions" underneath your list of games, click the "Show" button.
Secondly, in GOG Galaxy you need to turn on the private beta channel using the code from above. (IMPORTANT: I was not able to find this on the website, only in GOG Galaxy. This is the REVERSE of where you need to go in the prior section.)
  1. Go to Battletech in your Library.
  2. Select "Settings" from the "More" drop-down menu.
  3. Set "Beta Channels" to "On" (top right side).
  4. In the "Channel" drop-down, select "Add private channels".
  5. Enter the code from the Paradox Plaza Games page.
  6. Select whatever version you would like to switch to in the "Channel" drop-down.
Oh, and since I wrote that, I've downloaded 1.04... so it's working for me, at least. Hopefully there aren't any required steps that I missed...

Thanks Ronhatch. HBS_Null also taught me a few tricks on another post.
I did a clean uninstall of 1.5, and was able to obtain and install 1.04. To my disappointment, still crashing upon launch.

One line summary of your issue
verson 1.04 fails to start

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible
Laptop with Intel HD4400 only.
Purchased v1.5 on GOG. Crash upon launching.
Learned from this forum, that I have to replaced 1.5 with 1.04.
Still crashing upon launching with 1.04.

Steps to reproduce the issue
Purchase 1.5 on GOG.
Crash upon launching.
Performed Clean Uninstall of 1.5.
Obtained and installed 1.04.
Still crash upon launching.

Upload attachment

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    188,9 KB · Views: 14
  • error.log
    21,6 KB · Views: 14
  • output_log.txt
    13 KB · Views: 32
I believe they will not be able to support you, because you have a desperately underpowered and unsupported graphics card.

Not helpful to hear, I know, but you are far below the minimum requirements. I do not believe your card has enough RAM to support this game at all.

I could confirm for certain if you post a complete specification, but it's not looking good tbh.

when in doubt about whether or not a pc/laptop will run a game there is always 'Can I run It' website.

I believe they will not be able to support you, because you have a desperately underpowered and unsupported graphics card.

Not helpful to hear, I know, but you are far below the minimum requirements. I do not believe your card has enough RAM to support this game at all.

I could confirm for certain if you post a complete specification, but it's not looking good tbh.

I think this file contains all info?
Thanks.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    71,7 KB · Views: 62
Your CPU is very weak at 1.7 GHz, even with 4 cores. 8GB ram is the minimum and is known to cause issues, you can try to get around it with a 16GB page file... but it's a stopgap at best.

Combine these issues with your unsupported graphics card and I would say, you definitely need an upgraded system.

Sorry.

Sooooo, I'am close smashing something i regret....
But I did the smart thing, signed in and discriped my Problem...

I played the game alot, without any Problems (300+ houres). At Sunday, my whole Computer crashed, which doesn't normally happen.
After that everything works besides Battletech.

First of all i don't have any modding ever installed...

If i start the game, i see the 3 Logos coming up and then the Screen just stays black, when the intro (Video) is supposed to start. Exept the mouse courser and a FPS counter at the upper right corner (didn't notice it bevor) stays on.
So i reinstalled it (the normal way) and still the same problem.

Today i found this thread and did the reinstalling like edmon discripted.

Still same Problem...
I can play Civ 6, Frostpunk , Stellaris just fine, only battletech not.

i downgradet even my graphic driver (i upgradet it several weeks back), still the same problem.

the last time i hit the keyboard randomly within the black screen and suddenly the game was in windows mode, but stayed black (besides curser and die FPS-Numbers).
I switched graphic cables (from Display port to DVI and back) and i'am out of ideas now.

I'am still close smashing something thou, anybody an idea?
Just for reference, even i'am not an computer tech or anything, i custom build my PC's from parts (for more then 20 years now) and use quit some commen sense, if it comes to software and stuff ;)
What i wanted to say, i kept to the instruction video...

Sorry for the bad spelling, i'am german and in no mood for a spell-check...

ah, and i have an:
intel 6600K
16 GB Ram
and an GTX960 with 4GB
running at full HD. Still enough for the games i play ;)

Thanks for your help

Did you follow the extra step of deleting the reg entry when uninstalling Battletech? It's important for windows 10 users. It's at the top of this thread.

Also, can you paste your output.log

You can find it in your Battletech Directory.

Hi,

here is my output.log file.

Already a big thanks for your support!

... Tried to start again, still nothing...

Edit: included Dxdiag, I'am still on the old graphic driver i know...

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    27,9 KB · Views: 40
  • DxDiag.txt
    73,4 KB · Views: 42