Battletech Guide: Abilities Guide v1.3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is so much useful information in this video!
Early game isn't late game.
Sure Footed comes so close to being useful.
The nuance of LRMs, MGs, SRMs being debuffed.
Why Breaching shot is less useful. See above.

Everyone should watch this video from newb to Kerensky.

One thing I might debate is the AI abuse of Sensor Lock. It won't abuse it at all, generally, AFAICT. That it has the potential to do so is obvious, that it will do so is not something I've seen.

One thing I might debate is the AI abuse of Sensor Lock. It won't abuse it at all, generally, AFAICT. That it has the potential to do so is obvious, that it will do so is not something I've seen.

Happens later in the game, especially in campaign mode and especially for turrets.

You get in range of a base, but it doesn't have a shot on you... incoming sensorlocks galore.

I am generally only weary of it on "attack base" type missions, but if you end up taking on 2 lances at once in a battle it can get hairy there too.

Sorry once again for the delay in making this much requested video.

As always, I hope this helps someone :)

Edmon, if you are using Better AI mod by Amechwarrior where the AI can and does reserve actions, do you still find Master Tactician that good?

With the stock AI hobbled being able to move first and then reserve past for double turns is really powerful. With the mod I often find the AI reserving with me all the way to the last phase and then no one has the advantage. In those cases I'd rather have Ace Pilot for the shoot/move, Coolant Vent for the extra heat dissipation or even Breaching+Multishot for getting past the 40% DR of bulwark+cover on multiple targets.

Edmon, if you are using Better AI mod by Amechwarrior where the AI can and does reserve actions, do you still find Master Tactician that good?

With the stock AI hobbled being able to move first and then reserve past for double turns is really powerful. With the mod I often find the AI reserving with me all the way to the last phase and then no one has the advantage. In those cases I'd rather have Ace Pilot for the shoot/move, Coolant Vent for the extra heat dissipation or even Breaching+Multishot for getting past the 40% DR of bulwark+cover on multiple targets.

I do still find it useful, as it still allows you to go first on a different turn. Additionally, it does fix any/all stab damage you have.

The A.I. does not understand why you reserve and you can exploit it, at times. By diving in after it reserves and picking off a mech (often stood still and defenceless) before it gets to fire.

I prefer Ace pilot usually (but not always).
But I agree with Edmon too. Master tactician always has some utility.

I hadn't considered Ace Piloting as part of an LRM spam strategy. I only run two sensor lock pilots, as I found that firing LRMs is a suitable role for early game Multishot-Bulwark pilots who can't get either of the double-turn skills. Adding Breaching Shot as a third skill means that one LRM20 can ignore the effective 50% damage reduction when you guess wrongly and sensor lock a Bulwark pilot, it's not a great improvement over firing a full salvo but it's not as if Coolant Vent offers much to an LRM pilot.

That's a pretty good overview. I just disagree at one point: Bulwark being less powerful than before. The possibility to move AND have high damage reduction due to cover has totally changed my playstyle (from facetanking to outmanouvering) and allowed me to combine the benefits of evasion and bulwark, which was only possible using morale with the old bulwark. Now I just have to find a tree. My overall dmg reduction is likely higher than it was before the ability revision, because I am allowed to move. I prefer 3-4 evasion pips and 40% dmg reduction over 0 pips and 50% and consider it superior in most situations, the only exception being lunar maps as there is no cover.

That's a pretty good overview. I just disagree at one point: Bulwark being less powerful than before. The possibility to move AND have high damage reduction due to cover has totally changed my playstyle (from facetanking to outmanouvering) and allowed me to combine the benefits of evasion and bulwark, which was only possible using morale with the old bulwark. Now I just have to find a tree. My overall dmg reduction is likely higher than it was before the ability revision, because I am allowed to move. I prefer 3-4 evasion pips and 40% dmg reduction over 0 pips and 50% and consider it superior in most situations, the only exception being lunar maps as there is no cover.

In the past you could move and obtain a 50% bonus using vilgilance, now that's 60% if you have cover and 40% if you don't.
In the past you could also camp in water, minerals, on ice, etc and get a 50% cover bonus, now you can't.

I think bulwark is stronger, on high cover maps... but I only really see this as terran, tropical, jungle, etc... on other maps big areas of cover are rare and you need a large area to move from cover to cover to keep your evasion up.

On most maps, I think new bulwak is weaker, due to there being less cover around in general and the inability to take advantage of other features like water, ice, minerals, highground, etc.

As always with bulwark YMMV by map, playstyle, etc.

Excellent point, being able to Move/Jump from Covered position to Covered position is a strong point, now in Bulwark’s favor.

TurretTech is dead.

Long live 1.3 BATTLETECH! :bow:

(*And I say that as someone who had won tournament matches and tournament Finals with pre-1.3 BATTLETECH. I moved me some #TurretTech and was very practiced in its ways and mysteries. : ) )

I think bulwark is stronger, on high cover maps... but I only really see this as terran, tropical, jungle, etc... on other maps big areas of cover are rare and you need a large area to move from cover to cover to keep your evasion up.

Yes, the new bulwark works perfectly with the new jungle terrain for example. It still is pretty good on any other map except lunar (where it is utterly useless) and martian (very hard to move from cover to cover, so you have to decide between evasion and cover) - but also evasion is hard to keep high on these maps, as low heatsink efficiency keeps you from jumping around. So it's low dmg reduction on these maps all the way.

I totally forgot about the old bulwark and water. TurretTech at it's best :D

really good analysis and explanations of the current skillset!

i love the new bulkward because you lessen the diffrence between heavy cover maps and lunar maps in terms of incoming damage.
pre 1.3 it was a must have skill, wich limited the use of the other skillsets, now it is a choice with pro and cons.

brainstorming: what about a "small" change, switching places of the 1st and 2nd skill of the pilot skilltree and change sure footing into "gets 2 pips at any move" or "all pips gained are permanent".

Ace Pilot: every simple pilot should know that he can move when he wants to, this shouldnt need a livetime of training.
Sure Footing: every pilot who knows his mech, where to step and dont fall at high speed, using "cover" to mask his profile, this needs training, a lot of.

For me this would make a lot more sense and opens up more (skill combinations) possibilities than now.