BATTLETECH - fullscreen black screen w/ audio playing at startup... never played before...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wkitty42

Recruit
2 Badges
Mar 9, 2021
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
One line summary of your issue
fullscreen black screen w/ audio playing at startup... never played before...

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
kubuntu 20.04

Which version of the game are you running?
i'm guessing v1.9.1 based on the steam client update patch notes

What DLC do you have installed?
None

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
installed BattleTech Sept 6 2020... have not tried to run it until now only to be met with a fullscreen black screen with some audio playing... wanted to switch to windowed mode at 1920x1080 to see if that helped but can't find the config file to edit so started digging through similar problem report via google... have applied "-force-glcore" with no change... also moved libSDL2-2.0.so.0, libasound.so.2, libc.so.6, libopenal.so.1, and libsndio.so.6.1 out of the BattleTech_Data/Plugins/x86_64 directory with no change... following the next step, i did validate the files and the 5 i moved out got pulled back in with identical named and sized ones... according to steam, i've spent 47 minutes in-game but it has all been nothing but the fullscreen black screen with some audio playing while i have tried to find a solution to this problem...

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Player.log
    674,5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
apparently the system doesn't like my specs.html, specs.html.txt, or specs.txt file when i try to attach it to my report :(
trying to attach it here again...

Attachments

• specs.txt
    38,3 KB · Views: 0
i have finally been able to force battletech into windowed mode... i had to add -screen-fullscreen 0 to my steam launch options... finally i can see the starting logos, video, and everything else that comes after...

now that i can actually see something, i'll see about adjusting the settings in-game and report back if i still need the command line option in place...