• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a list of what Mechs will be included?
  • Locust: LCT-1M, LCT-1S, LCT-1V
  • Commando: COM-1B, COM-2D
  • Spider: SDR-5V
  • UrbanMech: UM-R60
  • Firestarter: FS9-H
  • Jenner: JR7-D
  • Panther: PNT-9R
  • Cicada: CDA-2A, CDA-3C
  • Blackjack: BJ-1
  • Vindicator: VND-1R
  • Centurion: CN9-A, CN9-AL
  • Enforcer: ENF-4R
  • Hunchback: HBK-4G, HBK-4P
  • Trebuchet: TBT-5N
  • Griffin: GRF-1N, GRF-1S
  • Kintaro: KTO-18
  • Shadow Hawk: SHD-2D, SHD-2H
  • Wolverine: WVR-6K, WVR-6R
  • Dragon: DRG-1N
  • Quickdraw: QKD-4G, QKD-5A
  • Catapult: CPLT-C1, CPLT-K2
  • JagerMech: JM6-A, JM6-S
  • Thunderbolt: TDR-5S, TDR-5SE, TDR-5SS
  • Cataphract: CTF-1X
  • Grasshopper: GHR-5H
  • Black Knight: BL-7-KNT
  • Orion: ON1-K, ON1-V
  • Awesome: AWS-8Q, AWS-8T
  • Victor: VTR-9B, VTR-9S
  • Zeus: ZEU-6S
  • BattleMaster: BLR-1G
  • Stalker: STK-3F
  • Highlander: HGN-733, HGN-733P
  • Banshee: BNC-3E, BNC-3M
  • Atlas: AS7-D
  • King Crab: KGC-0000

This is extremely annoying for those of us on substandard connections that take days to download a game, and completely negates any reason to pre-order for myself. I get that HBS is likely planning on making changes right up to release, but even a large day one patch (of say around 5-10GB) would be better than having to wait until launch day to download the whole thing.
I completely agree with that. It's also an inconvinience if you can't plan your time off -work around the release. Depending on the size of the download this might put my release day down another whole day.

When will Linux be available?
We anticipate updating the game to include Linux in 2-3 months after launch. (Thanks for your patience!)

I was not aware there would be a Linux version, and thus, I have been avoiding all posts on Battletech (I don't even know why I checked this FAQ). This changes everything. I'll now need to have a look at it, and possibly get it once Linux support is added, as it seems a nice setting at least. Maybe add the info somewhere on a post on the first page, I might not be the only one to be surprised.

This is extremely annoying for those of us on substandard connections that take days to download a game, and completely negates any reason to pre-order for myself. I get that HBS is likely planning on making changes right up to release, but even a large day one patch (of say around 5-10GB) would be better than having to wait until launch day to download the whole thing.
I feel you, friend. I lived in the countryside for years and had to download everything over basic DSL. It was fast enough to stream 480p video on good days, but downloading modern games could take literally dozens of hours.

If the game unlocks during the workday and you purchase through Steam, you can trigger the download to start from your work computer by logging in to Steam in a browser, if your home computer is signed in to the Steam client (could maybe even do it on mobile but I'm not sure). I really wish I knew about that back when I lived in the woods; could have gotten me into a few games several hours sooner.

We will be able to modify (rename, change the color or appearance) our mechwarriors and mechs itself?
You can change the name of individual mechs. You can pick the primary, secondary, and tertiary colours used by your mechs, but the assignments/patterns of those colours are fixed per mech (would require texture edits to change). The colours are shared by all mechs in your outfit (no individual colours per mech).

You can't edit anything about Mechwarriors (that feature was cut). You will be able to mess around with them via mods though.

I feel you, friend. I lived in the countryside for years and had to download everything over basic DSL. It was fast enough to stream 480p video on good days, but downloading modern games could take literally dozens of hours.

If the game unlocks during the workday and you purchase through Steam, you can trigger the download to start from your work computer by logging in to Steam in a browser, if your home computer is signed in to the Steam client (could maybe even do it on mobile but I'm not sure). I really wish I knew about that back when I lived in the woods; could have gotten me into a few games several hours sooner.
QFT.

I'd be very curious to know why HBS is leaning towards not allowing pre-loads. Definitely agree with ED-209 that a day 1 patch of a smaller size would be far preferable to 15-20Gb download on the day of.

Bandwidth constraints are a real PITA, especially when you only have one option for broadband and it isn't exactly fast...

Bandwidth constraints are a consideration here too, but I would much rather HBS have the manner of secure, well-choreographed and successful Launch Day it plans, than anything that might unhinge part of the plan.

If a pre-Download is in the cards, GREAT!

If not, I'll start as shortly after noon (Eastern Time) as I can, and simply jump in game as soon as its ready. : )

A definite NO regarding pre-loading would be nice, rather than this "maybe no, we'll see, but likely no", also knowing the actual download size, rather than the mostly useless "recommended available space" that, while it good estimation, rarely ends up being the actual game size. Same issue as others above, I only really have one ISP to choose from, and they seem to be stuck in 2008 when it comes to bandwidth. With no preload, I don't expect to be playing on release day.

Where would be the best place to learn about everything to do with IN GAME movement (penalties, brace, evasion, turn order, etc), a how to?

Will it be covered in the tutorial adequately, I wonder?

I'm fresh off the boat..

Thanks!

Will it be covered in the tutorial adequately, I wonder?!
Assuming it remains unchanged in the release version, the game's tutorial is somewhat lacking. It does cover the absolute basics, but it fails to impart some of the fundamental information a new player will need going forwards. I would suggest that you have a look at this thread where @LGear breaks down the tutorial, pointing out its failings and offering suggestions for improvements. Unfortunately, it appears that @LGear is no longer updating it, but it does still provide some useful information.

Assuming it remains unchanged in the release version, the game's tutorial is somewhat lacking. It does cover the absolute basics, but it fails to impart some of the fundamental information a new player will need going forwards. I would suggest that you have a look at this thread where @LGear breaks down the tutorial, pointing out its failings and offering suggestions for improvements. Unfortunately, it appears that @LGear is no longer updating it, but it does still provide some useful information.

Cheers! Would be good if those highlighting problems (Differences between straight red line, arcing red line and white line not explained) could fill in those blanks.. :)

I've been watching some you tubes, but have to stop as it just makes me want to play more, and they tend to just blow past the basics.. :(

Last edited:
Where would be the best place to learn about everything to do with IN GAME movement (penalties, brace, evasion, turn order, etc), a how to?

Will it be covered in the tutorial adequately, I wonder?

I'm fresh off the boat..

Thanks!

May I suggest this excellent guide by @Cyttorak001 :
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cyttoraks-illustrated-tutorial.1090127/

Then there are other tip threads that are useful further reading (search the forum titles for "tips") and finally this has some detailed charts for when you have moved past the basics and want to get into the finer points of the weapons and mechs.

What can we as players do to help with the Linux version development? Will there be a Linux beta available at some point to everyone with a copy of the game? Can we provide feedback somewhere verifying it works on various distros, even those that may be officially unsupported? Can we help with the testing and bug hunting process?

Updated with the new information regarding PRE-LOAD! Are you guys happy about it?
Yes. That phrasing sort of sounds like you are not happy about it though. It might just be a local usage to the USA, but "Are you happy about it?" sounds like you are angry or irritated. I hope you are not irritated and are having a great day.

Is the Pre-load going to be available on all distribution platforms(Steam, GOG, PDX, etc.)? Will the various deluxe edition goodies and forum code be available immediately with the Pre-load or do we have to wait until the release date for those extras?

Yes. That phrasing sort of sounds like you are not happy about it though. It might just be a local usage to the USA, but "Are you happy about it?" sounds like you are angry or irritated. I hope you are not irritated and are having a great day.

Is the Pre-load going to be available on all distribution platforms(Steam, GOG, PDX, etc.)? Will the various deluxe edition goodies and forum code be available immediately with the Pre-load or do we have to wait until the release date for those extras?
Whaaat, no we're all super excited about it! I guess it has a different kind of sound to it here in Sweden :)

The Pre-load is on Steam!

Updated with the new information regarding PRE-LOAD! Are you guys happy about it?
Very, very happy and getting more hyped with every hour closer to Launch! : )

Two questions:

1. As part of the backer beta, should I delete the backer beta from my steam library prior to game launch day? or will this not be an issue?

2. I still don't have my battletech avatars, what do I have to do to get them? I've already backed this game to the tune of $100USD (nevermind, they finally showed up)