• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussian Havoc

PDXCON 2019 ~ MechWarrior of the Year
58 Badges
May 12, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
During tonight's BATTLETECH Friday Night Fights, I'll be running a series of 30-minute BATTLETECH Command Academy sessions. These sessions are for gamers, new to BATTLETECH Multi-player and who would like to talk through and then play-through one or more aspects of BATTLETECH.

BOTTOM LINE UPFRONT: Rather than immediately dropping down into a Multiplayer Match, we'll first discuss one of the following topics in DISCORD Chat and then drop into a match to execute the tailored Drills centered on what was just discussed. The topics include:

BATTLETECH 101, Lance Composition ~ explore tailoring a Lance to a desired play style.

BATTLETECH 201, The BATTLETECH Stability System and YOU ~ mitigate against being Knocked Down, and explore tactics to Knock Down your opponent.

BATTLETECH 301, Jump Cavalry: Fire and Mobility ~ BATTLETECH's TacSIM breaths Big and Stompy Life into Cavalry Tactics. Explore whether "Jump and Gun" is for you.

BATTLETECH 401, FULL UP COMPETITIVE GAME but with Talk-Through ~ we play an actual 20m Stock Match, but I'll freely provide an in-game running commentary and discussion of my Intentions, Tactics, Schemes of Maneuver and Combat Choices.

League-play BATTLETECH 501, ISW CommandSIM ~ while the heart of our Inner Sphere Wars League is BATTLETECH game-play, the various ISW User Interfaces can be leveraged to best position your Unit/Faction for short-term or long-term benefit. The evolving nature of ISW ELO will also be discussed and explored.

League-play BATTLETECH 502, ISW EconSIM ~ everything from Naval and Land Component Force Structure decisions, to understanding ISW's Market-based Price Structure and dynamic Battle Value fluctuations can be advantageous to the EconSIM savvy ISW gamer.

League-play BATTLETECH 503, ISW StatecraftSIM ~ an advanced discussion of ISW Statecraft (player to player Discord PM's, Channel discussions and group norms) focusing primarily on Inter-Faction Politics, though Intra-Faction Politics will also be examined.

We also have the great good fortune to add @Vengeant's (YouTube's Vengeant) History/Lore video series to our Academy curriculum

new BATTLETECH 601, History/Lore Series: Breakthrough and Exploration ~ from Modern Day through the discovery of the Kearny-Fuchida Drive and to the establishing of the Inner Sphere:

new BATTLETECH 602, History/Lore Series: Hegemony and War ~ Terra's reach for Empire, the Age of War and its pervasive use of Weapons of Mass Destruction leading to the Ares Convention:

new BATTLETECH 603, History/Lore Series: Golden Age ~ Birth of the Star League and nearly 2 centuries ofpeace and prosperity. Fall of the Star League, the Exodus and formation of ComStar:

new BATTLETECH 604, History/Lore Series: Succession Wars ~ Marked by death, destruction and atrocities on a scope beyond anything known during the Age of War. The first through third Succession Wars ravage the Inner Sphere's Techno-Industrial Capacity. The Rise of ComStar's Political and Martial Capabilities:

new BATTLETECH 605, History/Lore Series: Change and Renaissance ~ The foundations of the FEDCOM and the Federated Sun's War of Davion Aggression. Recovery of the Helm Data Core leads to accelerated recovery of the Inner Sphere's Techno-Industrial Capacity. Rise of the FEDCOM and its War of 3039:

new BATTLETECH 606, History/Lore Series: Revival ~ ComStar's Explorer Corps and the Outbound Light. CLAN INVASION. Death of ilKhan Leo Showers and the stage is set for the Battle of Tukayyid:

My hope is that in a more informal setting than an actual Tournament Match, I can answer questions and help gamers new to BATTLETECH Multiplayer, explore topics they already have an interest in.

While our Academy experience won't look like this, we can make the best of what HBS, Paradox and our DISCORD Community already provide. : )

drop_command_by_spooky777-d8nd9xs.jpg

(*my ever-appreciative thanks to @SpOoKy777 for the above Work of MechArt / DeviantArt / Patreon)

BATTLETECH Friday Night Fights and this BATTLETECH Commander Academy will both be held in the spirit Harebrained Schemes made possible for us... friendly matches.

If you have any questions or comments, please include them below.

And as ever, good luck and good BATTLETECH gaming!

Last edited:
And I will certainly let you know that he knows what he's talking about, you can definitely learn a thing or two no matter your skill level.

It also doesn't hurt to think about different strategies that you may have gotten comfortable with in the single player side, and although those have value, against a human opponent it's a completely different ballgame.

I highly recommend taking the class.

I'll be offering the Lance Commander Academy curriculum again during Friday's Friday Night Fights. :bow:

I've run a couple more iterations of BATTLETECH 401, and indeed now regularly offer that option to all my fellow Lance Commanders in ISW League play. : )

Of course for the duration of Friday Night Fights, this'll be available to one and ALL!

RELATED NOTE: I am also looking to work up a "Playbook" of Basic and Advanced BATTLETECH Schemes of Maneuver. Does anyone have any "overhead" or elevation maps of BATTLETECH's Multi-Player Maps? Our Community is creative... if such maps were ever possible, they would be put to good and creative use immediately.

Last edited:
...RELATED NOTE: I am also looking to work up a "Playbook" of Basic and Advanced BATTLETECH Schemes of Maneuver. Does anyone have any "overhead" or elevation maps of BATTLETECH's Multi-Player Maps? Our Community is creative... if such maps were ever possible, they would be put to good and creative use immediately.

We do have an example of what I am curious to see if we can produce from current map data:

AI Influence Map.PNG

This is an example of the BATTLETECH AI's Influence Map.

What I am looking for is the underlying Black and Gray Map, without the Green, Yellow and White Overlays.

The blackened areas of high elevation (especially if Start Locations were already indicated) are just barely enough to give context to any resulting and derivative products such as the "Playbooks" I mention in the quote above.

Another way to look at the "Playbook" I hope to create, is a much, much abbreviated and BATTLETECH-specific Infantry Attacks. In Infantry Attacks, various WW1 Combat Vignettes are used to distill certain tactics, particular martial virtues and idealized Combat Opportunities/Vulnerabilities...

...all the more visually possible with even just somewhat clear map pics of the currently in-game PvP maps.

Are such maps even possible?

I ask this of you all, but I would especially like to raise this question to @Amechwarrior, @ronhatch, @HBS_CaptKerberos and @HBS_Eck.

I realize the answer may be that while the data is there, it is not possible or time-feasible to portray it is such a fashion. :bow:

I simply ask the question, as a question never asked... can never hope to inspire others to answer it. : )

We do have an example of what I am curious to see if we can produce from current map data:

View attachment 401902

This is an example of the BATTLETECH AI's Influence Map.

What I am looking for is the underlying Black and Gray Map, without the Green, Yellow and White Overlays.

The blackened areas of high elevation (especially if Start Locations were already indicated) are just barely enough to give context to any resulting and derivative products such as the "Playbooks" I mention in the quote above.

Another way to look at the "Playbook" I hope to create, is a much, much abbreviated and BATTLETECH-specific Infantry Attacks. In Infantry Attacks, various WW1 Combat Vignettes are used to distill certain tactics, particular martial virtues and idealized Combat Opportunities/Vulnerabilities...

...all the more visually possible with even just somewhat clear map pics of the currently in-game PvP maps.

I ask this of you all, but I would especially like to raise this question to @Amechwarrior, @ronhatch, @HBS_CaptKerberos and @HBS_Eck.

I realize the answer may be that while the data is there, it is not possible or time-feasible to portray it is such a fashion. :bow:

I simply ask the question, as a question never asked... can never hope to inspire others to answer it. : )
While I don't know if you can make that view, you could customize the camera limits in the combatgameconstants.json and probably allow a full 90 degree look down. Combined with unlocking the camera with CTRL+SHIFT+I you could make composites and then greyscale them. With debug mode on you might be able to remove the fog of war and snap both starting positions in skirmish mode. I think a neat BT debug tool mod just got released too that can remove elements in a scene.

Thank you, Good @Amechwarrior. I knew there must be a way to approach this. I had never unlocked my camera before! : )
Alas even on one of the more compact map, the camera just won't pull back far enough to make it worthwhile.
Thank you again. I'll keep looking and will most definitely start a thread for it in the Suggestions section of the forum.

Thank you, Good @Amechwarrior. I knew there must be a way to approach this. I had never unlocked my camera before! : )
Alas even on one of the more compact map, the camera just won't pull back far enough to make it worthwhile.
Thank you again. I'll keep looking and will most definitely start a thread for it in the Suggestions section of the forum.
That's why I was saying you would have to make a composite. Take 4, 16 or however many top down screens and stitch them together. Use gimp or paint.net if you don't have Photoshop.

However you end up doing it, make sure to note the starting positions relationship to the slots in the Lance selection. Sometimes the top slot is in front and others it is in the back. You can gain or lose a dot of movement and maybe even two if you plan your drop order to the maps spawn points.

I'll again be offering this Academy to gamers during the upcoming BATTLETECH Friday Night Fights (FNF).

I've had success and appreciation expressed each time I've run it during the past two BATTLETECH FNF Events.

But I'd not have the Academy resting on its Laurels... does anyone have any suggestions at to how better to approach this, or new curriculum offerings?

All constructive feedback is welcome. :bow:

And as ever, good luck and good gaming! : )

Last edited:
The terrain heightmap data might be relatively easy for some modders to get at. And then the bulk of the data with all obstructions, buildings, designmasks, etc are all baked into the proprietary map .bin files. For any one interested in getting at that data, take a look at the MapMetaData and MapMetaDataExporter classes. And feel free to pester me with questions.

- Eck

I *definitely* want this... I'd like to have a log analysis tool that can replay matches on an overhead map.

Unfortunately, I really can't imagine being able to spend significant time on it myself in any sort of reasonable time frame. I think it's been a week since the last time I even logged into the forums. I'll be more than happy to make figuring things out a priority for what time I do spend on it, though, so if anyone would like to do something with the data maybe we can manage it.

The coordinate system in the logs is pretty straightfoward, and at a minimum you can get height for each location visited from that data.
Edit: Hmm... and come to think of it, that data from the logs will let you know really quickly if you're interpreting the heightmap data correctly.

I *definitely* want this... I'd like to have a log analysis tool that can replay matches on an overhead map.

Unfortunately, I really can't imagine being able to spend significant time on it myself in any sort of reasonable time frame. I think it's been a week since the last time I even logged into the forums. I'll be more than happy to make figuring things out a priority for what time I do spend on it, though, so if anyone would like to do something with the data maybe we can manage it.

The coordinate system in the logs is pretty straightfoward, and at a minimum you can get height for each location visited from that data.
Edit: Hmm... and come to think of it, that data from the logs will let you know really quickly if you're interpreting the heightmap data correctly.
I had hoped there would be possibilities here. This is good news.

While my computer is... challenged, and my computer / software tech skills even more so, with an "overhead view / image" I can put my 23-plus years of Military Service to good use and kick out products like:

Overlay Example.jpg

But specific to BATTLETECH and Multiplayer.

Others could use this same process to look at Solo-Campaign Restoration Story Arc Missions... and to sketch out Phased Movement and Fire Control Diagrams specific to those Maps.

There is a lot of potential here, for a lot of gamers to take these images and run with them for all manner of tactical product. But it all starts with an Overhead Image that is inclusive of the Combat Area.

BATTLETECH Maps are so very much larger than the areas (set by hard boundaries) we have open for maneuver and combat. It is this relatively smaller Combat Areas that we would need an overhead image of.

I also may have overstated the original need for elevation data portrayal...

I am of an unfortunately Old School at heart.

Here is what I cut my teeth on back in the early 90's:

Overlay Example 2.jpg

A lot is possible with both types of map base (image or topographic) but since BATTLETECH seems to lend itself easily to Image Maps, perhaps it is best to take advantage of that, rather than abstract-in some elevation data.

Alternatively, and like this Google Earth image, rather than a 90-degree overhead angle, it could be slightly off-set with the "view" originating from above the start location of Player One (MP) / Player (SP.)

Overlay Example 3.jpg

Bottom line, I remain hopeful that this doesn't become too great or too difficult a science project. My efforts to unlock/sequentially orient the camera and snap successive screen captures, only to try and piece these together, have failed miserably.

If it turns out something else is possible ~ great.

If not?

Well it was worth just asking the question. And thank you Good @ronhatch for entertaining that question and exploring the possibilities. :bow:

I am more than willing to tutor anyone in any aspect of the BATTLETECH Lance Commander Academy during iterations of Friday Night Fight events.

I've also begun to work-up a trio of Academy "Graduate" courses:

BLCA 501: Inner Sphere Wars CommandSIM and
BLCA 502: Inner Sphere Wars EconSIM.
BLCA 503: Inner Sphere Wars StatecraftSIM

More to follow this coming Friday NIght Fights event. :bow:

I am highly curious as to what the econ and statecraft sims entail. Are those for Grayson Mariks Inner Sphere wars?

I am highly curious as to what the econ and statecraft sims entail. Are those for Grayson Mariks Inner Sphere wars?
Yes, all three of this 500-series are for @Grayson Marik’s Inner Sphere Wars.

I’ve still a ways to go before these half-hour Chat/Discussions are up to speed. And it is important to understand that while the focus may be one or the other ~ Command / Econ / Statecraft, all three interact and are interdependent especially for lone player Periphery Nationstates and for Mercenary Units.

More to follow... :bow:

@ronhatch, it was like Christmas morning around here an hour or so ago. : )

Team HBS came through is a big, big way, blowing my poor imitations and piecing-together-of-screen-captures, completely out of the water! :bow:

To me, these maps are a much valued Team HBS contribution of a Community Resource. Many other BATTLETECH gamers will hopefully put the raw images to good use once I post them to IMGUR later tonight / tomorrow. Map examples are provided below, start locations annotated. 24 Maps (1 each IMINT and Slope Heat Map) were provided and will be uploaded to IMGUR.

My thanks to all of Team HBS!

IMINT and a Slope Heat Map of THE STACKS:

Map of The Stacks - Image.png

Map of The Stacks - Heatmap.png

Ooo!!! Shiny!

I still want to figure out the raw data eventually, but having those images available will make it easier to do.

The outlines of 3 new work-in-progress Academy offerings are listed below:

new BATTLETECH 501
ISW CommandSIM ~ while the heart of our Inner Sphere Wars League is BATTLETECH game-play, the various ISW User Interfaces can be leveraged to best position your Unit/Faction for short-term or long-term benefit. The evolving nature of ISW ELO will also be discussed and explored.

new BATTLETECH 502 ISW EconSIM ~ everything from Naval and Land Component Force Structure decisions, to understanding ISW's Market-based Price Structure and dynamic Battle Value fluctuations can be advantageous to the EconSIM savvy ISW gamer.

new BATTLETECH 503 ISW StatecraftSIM ~ an advanced discussion of ISW Statecraft (player to player Discord PM's, Channel discussions and group norms) focusing primarily on Inter-Faction Politics, though Intra-Faction Politics will also be examined.

Beyond amazing. @Prussian Havoc any chance you'll be able to record these sessions too?

Best Regards, D