BattleTech: Clan Invasion Box Set Kickstarter coming today!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Initially, I was just going to back it for a modest amount----pick up the new box set, maybe a couple packs containing some of my favourite mechs, but these stretch goals have been really enticing! I've upped my pledge and now I find myself hoping they hit 1.5 mil (looks likely, tbh).

Here's hoping I don't end up regretting my decision some time down the road!

The Clan Invasion KS just passed $1,000,000! Not too shabby at all for a 35 year old board game!

They need to figure out how to market it, because it's still not being marketed as a "board game". One of the major things which makes me wish I had alcoholic drinks to reach for every time I think of it with this IP. (Another is Ryon Day's performance on DFA, but that's another story.)

Slowly, slowly they are cleaning up the Kickstarter page.

Hindsight being 20-20, the fact that you can't update the text for what each pledge receives is a problem. A lot of first impressions would be better if they knew right away what was really offered at each pledge level... Maybe a chart at the bottom of the Campaign page would be better than nothing. (I've seen a backer created one that pops up in the comments section that is a good start.)

Hopefully when the 2 unknown mech packs are decided on, they will do a final update of the Add-Ons section as well, which is still missing a fair amount of items / details.

(Nothing goes perfectly, and I hardly follow things on Kickstarter, but I have to say this shows how smoothly the HBS Kickstarter went, comparatively.)

The locked pledge levels is necessary to prevent a creator from doing something really crappy like reducing the benefits of a pledge or removing a guarantee.

I would like a chart with details of what every pledge gets, but I would put it pretty much at the top. Right before the unlocked stretch goals. At least there are some good community made spreadsheets around.

They need to figure out how to market it, because it's still not being marketed as a "board game". One of the major things which makes me wish I had alcoholic drinks to reach for every time I think of it with this IP. (Another is Ryon Day's performance on DFA, but that's another story.)
Come to think of it... is there any advertising for BattleTech at all outside of established communities like this one? Honestly, if I didn't hang out here or listen to channels like Critical Rocket or Wargamer: Fritz, the Kickstarter might have passed by without me knowing about it.

(And why did you have to remind me of Ryon? *shudder*)

Come to think of it... is there any advertising for BattleTech at all outside of established communities like this one? Honestly, if I didn't hang out here or listen to channels like Critical Rocket or Wargamer: Fritz, the Kickstarter might have passed by without me knowing about it.

I'm sure they'll be making a big deal about it at Gencon.

On the first, there might be? I dunno, I'm the wrong person to talk about it. Frankly, the two gaming stores I frequent . . . one is big on trading card games, the other is big on MTG and Warhammer. Trying to get GW players to embrace BattleTech isn't going to happen. (I was straight told there was not going to be support for it there, after the third time asking. Third time in a year, mind...) Online, I tend to stay out of places I don't already feel welcomed at due to not wanting to waste time or deal with things which sap my happiness. I have a job which does that quite handily enough, thank you very much.

On the second? Life is pain.

Thought I would update this Catalyst has posted some interesting new stretch goals

maps.PNG

beards.PNG

The recognition poster of all the new mech designes plus a new Beardoff game were enough to get me to increase my pledge enough to get two more innersphere lances plus the 3 1/2 inch Metal Warhammer statue

Last edited:
... another "Beard-Off" you say?

FYI, the contents of a lot of the mech packs were changed, or have been slowly changing, and may continue to experience changes. Hopefully there will be a posting of "fiddling is done!" at some point:

Of note, the new box set and original 6 Clan/IS packs (those at or before the $300k mark) were not being considered for change, so experienced no changes (yet).

Clan Pursuit Star (5) Clan Support Star (5)
Fire Falcon Night Gyr
Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)
Hellion Linebacker
Battle Cobra
Black Lanner

Inner Sphere Heavy Lance (4) [Unchanged]
Banshee 3S
Grasshopper
Centurion
Hatchetman

Clan Heavy Battle Star (5) [Unchanged]
Turkina
Kingfisher
Crossbow
Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron Born)
Huntsman (Nobori-nin)

Inner Sphere Striker Lance (4) [Unchanged]
Blackjack
Panther
Wolfhound
Jenner

Clan Support Star (5) Clan Heavy Star (5)
Kodiak Behemoth (Stone Rhino)
Supernova
Marauder IIC
Warhammer IIC
Hunchback IIC

Inner Sphere Fire Support Lance (4) Inner Sphere Fire Lance (4)
Whitworth Zeus
Trebuchet
Bombardier Stalker
Longbow

Clan Light Fire Star (5) Clan Striker Star (5)
Howler (Baboon) Hellhound (Conjurer)
Solitaire Goshawk
Incubus (Vixen)
Pack Hunter Piranha
Howned Owl (Peregrine)

Inner Sphere Berserker Lance (4) Inner Sphere Heavy Battle Lance (4)
Scarabus Cataphract
Firestarter (Omni) Bushwacker
Axman
Berserker Nightstar

??? $850,000 STRETCH GOAL Inner Sphere Urban Lance (4)
Raven
Enforcer
Hunchback
Victor

??? $950,000 STRETCH GOAL Inner Sphere Support Lance (4)
Dragon
Thug
Cyclops
Spider

ComStar Command Level II (6)
Mercury
Hermes Sentinel
Exterminator
Black Knight
Highlander
King Crab

Comstar Level II [Unchanged]
Mongoose
Crab
Lancelot
Guillotine
Flashman
Crockett

That IS Heavy Battle is tempting whereas I was going to skip the Berserker one... want that Cataphract...

Last edited:
I’m sad to lose the fire falcon, kodiak, and whitworth from the lineup but I also like most everything that was added. The only thing I would do is swap one of those light clan 2nd line mechs for the fire falcon. A bunch of those feel similar despite looking much different.

I don't have any personal attachment to the Whitworth, but I'm still a bit sad to see it go. It really gets no respect. Likewise for the Banshee being a 3S instead of 3E.

On the other hand...

0d548bb2df8545563b229aca03fd91c9.jpg