• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JimJ4m

Head of Community
1 Badges
Jan 7, 2019
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
This week we tried the new format of the challenge stream, playing challenges made up by you in the community!

The first one, randomized at stream was created by @Amechwarrior and it's a really cool one!
Check us try it out here!

Let's look at his post from the challenge submission thread!

TWO BROTHERS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Paradise and Sumo are the two baddest brothers in town. Prove it by defeating the "Heavy Assault Lance" on the Stacks. Both brothers 'Mechs must survive.

Use the Stacks Map and AS7-D Paradise with AS7-D Sumo for the player, against the AI’s stock preset "Heavy Assault Lance."

All mechs are stock.

Player's lance:
  • 2x AS7-D - Paradise, Sumo
Opponent's lance:
  • 1x Heavy Assault Lance
Map: The Stacks

Goals / Objective:
  • Keep both brothers alive and their 'Mechs operational while taking out the enemy Lance. These pilots have totally opposing skill sets and the player needs to utilize them in their niche to succeed. Without any Sensor Lock or Multi-Target, selecting when to target each enemy and how to lead them in to your trap are paramount.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Now load up your 'Mechs and take them to the bay! It's time to show us just how much better you can do at this!
And thanks again @Amechwarrior for the challenge!

Very nice!

Can't wait to give this a shot. : )

It's just...It's Two Brothers...That's it.

This is precisely the only challenge that I tried last week (and succeed).

I started with a plan: to use the mountains to block LoS and, as the King Crab is very slow, try to deal first with the other 'Mechs. So I moved to the left side of the road, behind some of the mountains and tried to keep within the woods. It started great, as the Locust had to get too close to my 'Mechs to have LoS, so after the Commando's attack and the LRM rain of the Thunderbolt, I could melee the Locust and knock it down... just to finish it with a called shot from the other 'Mech.

But after that, apparently the Commando panicked and started to behave weirdly... withdrawing and waiting for the King Crab. That also meant that I could deal with only the Thunderbolt. It took me 2-3 rounds of near-alpha strikes (trying not to overheat), so the King Crab was almost in range to start using its scary dual AC20 when the ammo in the Thunderbolt CT exploded. The King Crab eventually hit Sumo with some AC20, I hit him back, too much heat, punch festival and I decided to expose Sumo's back to the Commando in order to hit hard on the King Crab, which lost his right leg (got knocked down). The Commando took advantage of the exposed back, but nothing exploded, and then Paradise alpha-striked the King Crab on its left side... destroying its left arm and torso. It tried to escape, but Sumo destroyed its last leg, leaving the OpFor with only the Commando. I thought it will be an easy job, but since both Atlas were nearly overheated I had to punch it... and failed a couple of times. Finally I remembered that I had the Precision Strike :rolleyes: and "cored it completely" (see the Mission report caption below). At least, mission complete in 12 turns.

20190130153524_1.jpg

20190130153550_1.jpg

PS: sorry for only text and the screenshots, but my laptop can just run the game, I don't think that it can put up with streaming or recording, as cKnoor asked...

Congratulation PDX!

Good win today and I hope it was fun to play. I'm glad it rode you guys to the edge of failure, but were able to pull out at the end. I think a good challenge should be beatable, but just barely, like what you guys had on stream. Hitting that RT on the KGC early was the clincher, the KGC feeds ammo from the LT bin first, leaving the right full. Once you cut the RT, it had no more AC ammo left and it was just a matter of not letting the COM pick at you or the KGC getting lucky on melee. I love to see the challenge reports coming in from others. I'm sure someone will post one with both of them in good condition, it's just a matter of time before someone gets really favorable AC/20 hits early on. Still, the reports with one 'Mech trashed and near dead means this challenge is at a good sweet spot.

I opted to head to the river, hoping I can use it to cool down as needed as well as still have a bit of forest and a cliff to hide behind as well.

The Locust and Commando appear first, but still out of LOS, so only sensor traces, with the Thunderbolt close behind. Initial combat was the locust which shot at both Sumo and Paradise standing in the river from the top of the cliff. Return fire (lasers only) was negligible as the Locust had too much evasion. We were then treated with some LRM lunch from the Tbolt and KCrab.

Sumo moved up to the bank into the forest and proceeded to CVent and Alpha Strike the Tbolt, followed by LRM volley from Paradise. By round five we had the Tbolt knocked down.

A1_2019-02-13_1823_1.png

Round 7 saw a nice little ammo explosion from Paradise's LRMs that totally removed the Tbolt from the field.

A2_2019-02-13_1825_1.png A5_2019-02-13_1827_1.png A6_2019-02-13_1827_2.png

The Commando also died that round to a broadside barrage of fire from Sumo.

A7_2019-02-13_1828_1.png A8_2019-02-13_1828_2.png

The Locust was seriously wounded and by round 10 it too was half the mech it used to be.

A11_2019-02-13_1829_2.png A13_2019-02-13_1832_1.png

The KCrab had been throwing LRMs for most of this time with the occasional breaching LLaser shot. Sumo was wearing the brunt of it as Paradise was still swimming in the river having a fat time. Paradise slowly (god the Atlas is sooo slow in water) attempted to flank the KCrab and was able to do some decent damage.

A14_2019-02-13_1839_1.png A16_2019-02-13_1841_2.png

With the LA weakened, Sumo was able to remove it totally.

A18_2019-02-13_1842_2.png

Paradise lines up for an Alpha, fires and crits the LRM15 an pushes the KCrab to the tipping point.

A19_2019-02-13_1843_1.png A20_2019-02-13_1843_2.png

Sumo lays in and knocks the KCrab to the ground.

A22_2019-02-13_1844_2.png

But when everyone is acting in phase 1, no chance for a called shot, the KCrab acts first, standing, moving forward and nearly destroying Sumo's Atlas. With the move the KCrab did, Paradise cannot get LOS on the KCrab and can only fire an LRM volley.

It's now up to Sumo, as another round will surely see his mech collapse. Coolent Vent, Alpha Strike and hope we do some serious crippling damage here... BOOM!! Down goes the KCrab.

A23_2019-02-13_1846_1.png

Sumo took nearly all the damage with Paradise having a vacation rafting in the river.

A24_2019-02-13_1846_2.png

The OpFor was destroyed, but Buckshot lived to tell the tale of TWO BROTHERS.

A25_2019-02-13_1847_1.png

Excellent challenge! Thank you!

so lot's of fun with this one. Lost the first time as I basically ran up to the enemy and exchanged fire. 2nd time around I moved up to the road and exchanged a round with the locust (no a/c 20s) but between the 2 brothers wounded him a bit and the locust ran off the next turn. The commando comes and takes a shot at whichever brother was the Ace pilot and a tbolt comes around the corner but can only fire its LRM. Next turn the Ace pilot fires everything he's got and I score a hit on the Tbolt's center torso. The bulwark brother moves up into the road (out of cover) and unloads everything as my hit probabilities climbed a lot. Got lucky and popped the tbolt with an amo explosion.

Bulwark brother takes a few hits from the commando and long range from the Crab. Run both of them back off the road towards where we start. The locust and commando come in to fire. Exchange a round of fire with no real damage on either side. Locust closes and my Ace pilot rushes him and kills the Locust with a melee attack. Commando rushes up into his face and unloads and the Crab does some long range firing. My turn the Ace pilot bum rushes the commando and melee's him to death.

Crab comes around the corner and nails the Ace pilot with the 2 AC/20s and fires the laser at the bulwark brother. I retreat to vent heat and go back around the hill to the road. The crab comes down the road to shoot it out. Hits the bulwark brother with both ac/20s but since he was in cover it wasn't so bad. Bulwark brother runs across the road to try and flank the Crab which is on the verge of overheating. Shoot it in the back but don't penetrate the armor. Ace pilot shoots the Crab and runs back to cover. Crab then chases down the Ace pilot and fires at close range (which the Ace survives). The crab overheats and shuts down. I knock him down the next round while taking out one arm, disabling the ac a crit that destroyed the crab's a/c 20 ammo so the crab is out of his 2 primary weapons. Somehow both brothers miss with their ac20s and the crab gets back up but doesn't shoot. Next round I'd finally gotten fury to 100% and precision target the Crab's torso.

Last edited: