BATTLETECH - Bad typos in campaign mission: Extraction

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Barefoot

Corporal
36 Badges
Mar 16, 2018
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
One line summary of your issue
Bad typos in campaign mission: Extraction

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1-686R

What DLC do you have installed?
Flashpoint, Urban Warfare, Heavy Metal

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Two of the mission dialog boxes that come up after defeating the first round of reinforcements (when the objective to stand in the base for 3 rounds to retrieve the data comes up) have some pretty bad typos in them. I also have suggestions on how to improve them for increased clarity in the mission, since I've seen numerous threads about this mission, with people confused as to why they are failing it, and/or how to get into the base without jump jets.

First, Darius Oliveira says: "That's the last inbound hostile dropship from the landing force we have the window we need to evac."

This is a run-on sentence. At the very least, it should be: "That's the last inbound hostile dropship from the landing force! We have the window we need to evac."

However, it would be better if it made it more clear that there is a mission timer starting, something like, "That's the last inbound hostile dropship for now. That gives us the window we need to evac once you have the data, but don't dally! There are ground forces inbound, and additional dropships are being scrambled from the nearest spaceport. If you're still there when they roll in, you don't stand a chance!"

Next, Kamea Arano says: "Destroying my cousin's landing force would show her the costs of her treachery and I am willing pay. However getting that recovering that data is still our priority."

This is... um... well, I'm guessing it was being edited, someone got interrupted, and never got back to it, and the half-edited text file got baked into the game. Oops! It happens.

I would suggest instead: "Destroying my cousin's final team would show her the cost of her treachery. I am more than willing to compensate you for helping me make her pay it! However... recovering the data cache Alexander left for us at the dead drop has to be our top priority. Get a mech up there ASAP and have it hold position long enough to download the data. The rest of us will cover them... and wipe out the incoming lance if there's time." Or something like that.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
1. Load the campaign mission: Extraction.
2. Defeat the defenders.
3. Defeat the ambush team.
4. Defeat the first reinforcements.
5. Witness the typos.

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Battletech Typo Bug Report.png
    Battletech Typo Bug Report.png
    516,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the report, but at this point it seems unlikely there will be any more patches for this game, I'm sorry!

While not an official bug fix, I'll work some of these changes in to the next version of the cFixes mod. cFixes is a mod that uses community sourced fixes to bugs that can be corrected by simple json edits. The mod can be found in its thread in the mod forum, or on Nexus mods.