• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(171833)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Oct 7, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
propagandaposterww2.png

Fight German animals! We can and must destroy Hitler's army.
Battlefields and Politics:USSR
In this AAR I will take control over the Sovjet Union and try to take on Germany on very hard. As the penalty's for very hard, make it a very hard game, I will try make the USSR as strong as possible before Germany attacks me. You will follow the war by means of proganda posters and screenshots, with history book style background information. I am playing on patch 1.3 with no other mods. So beware this AAR will be screenshot heavy!

Last edited:

Poster137.jpg

1936: Industrialisation
As the USSR enterd 1936, it was seen by every major nation as a third rate power, the civil war had left its economy in shambles and its army was considered out-dated and incompetent.
This was without a doubt true, the factories that existed were inefficient, and most of the population did live from agriculture. The goverment had however been buisy since 1928 to make up, and slowly but surely the SU was catching up with the rest of the major powers.
The armed forces of the union were in a similar state, every weapon in the aresenal was obselete and the orginisation was a mess. STAVKA (suprme command) could call on several 'Fronts' or army groups in the west; Baltic, Leningrad, Western, Southern and Kharkov. All armies under these fronts were renamed so that the high command could easly keep track of all its units. Most of the far-eastern armies were ransacked for divisions, and the west was expanded and strengthend. There where no new divisions, planes or schips to be built, the army decided that with its limited budget it would try and update its weapons.
Sceintist were meanwhile buisy developing new techniques to speed up production and designing new machines with which Industrial output could be increased.
The highest Sovjet authoreties where quite sure that in the near future the red army would be protecting the motherland from invasion, and thus new docterines were being looked at and tested.
The NKVD meanwhile was preparing the way for the Red Army to test its new docterines in the field by spreading rumors that Finland was trying to de-stabilise the Sovjet Union.

ussr1936.png

WWII+-+PROPAGANDA+POSTER+-+Die+NSDAP+sichert+die+volksgemeinschaft-ww2shots.jpg

1937: The Great Purges
Stalin was well know for his paranoia, and many political enemy's had already suffered from it. The most well known of these was Trotsky, the leader of the Red army during the revolution. Now his army would suffer the same fate, in three major and a dozen smaller purges the Red Army leadership was decimated. Some of the generals that had been removed were without a doubt critics of Stalin. Because these men were now removed from the picture Stalin's position of dominance was secured.
The NKVD had been doing its job well and in March Stalin decided the time was ripe to declare the nation in a state of preperation for war, the economy was geared toward arms production and a one-year draft was instated.
In the mean while the Axis had grown to include Japan, Italy and Nationalist Spain. The Allies were joined by South Africa and Ireland.
The Red Army had in the mean while created a special mountain warfare group, this group was responsible for the research of new docterines and making sure that the mountain troops had proper equipment. Under this group also fell two Corps consisting of nine divisions. These divisions were soon being redeployed from the south, were they had been assembled to the Finnish boarder.

hoi3151.png

Great work, keep it up ;)!

This looks interesting, but I should warn you of the Swastika's in your title post, should doctor those out or face the wrath of the moderators.

That aside, I'm looking forward for more here, you're off to a good start!

oh ok, ill get to those swastika's.
The next update will be sometime on monday probably.
I'm trying to fix those swastika's but i forgot how the site is called I use to uplode screenshots and pictures, its logo is a yellow frog. Does any one know it?

Last edited:

3d_1_b_thb.jpg

The infantry, queen of all arms.
thebritishnavyguardsthe.png

1938: The year of mobilization and expansions
By October the NKVD had made sure that Finland and the USSR saw each other as mutual enemy's. The Russian high command thus decided the time was ripe to overrun this little country and secure the northern flank of the USSR from any German Scandinavian ambissions.
However more importantly, on October 4th Checoslovakia was annexed bu Germany and as a result Belgium, Luxemburg, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Switserland, Denmark and Latvia mobilised. For STAVKA this was reassuring because it meant that any other German expansions would be -at least by small country's- contested. The war against Finland took all of two weeks, Russian mechanised forces brok trough the Mannerheim line close to lake Ladoga and surrounded most of the Finnish army around Viipuri. Soon after the pocket was liquidated Finland surrendered, and was annexed.

finlande.png

STAVKA Plan for Finland.
hoi3155.png

Konev's tanks break trough the Mannerheim line.
With the industry of the USSR now on total war footing, large orders of tanks were placed. And a defense line running accros the Kharalian Isthmus; the only way of entering the Crimea. The armoured divisions that were beying ordered were however sadly lacking in modern armour. Mostly consisting of BT-5's amd T-28's. So they would have to be upgraded once deployed. The Diplomatic corps soon got thier hands on bad news. Romania was getting close to Germany, and as a traditionaly Slavic nation this worried Stalin alot. Preparation were made to invade Romania as soon as the weather cleared.
hoi3159.png

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like the Finns will hold out, thus, when 1941 comes rolling around - the Germans better be ready to get a mouth full from the Soviet Red Army.

Nice and simple, yet very great! Good stuff so far! ;)

Interesting. Too bad the Finns caved so easily. Maybe Romania will be more of a challenge. Then again, I could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and draws Germany and Italy into the fray.

I'm afraid that a declaration of war on Romania will start the worlds armies on a warpath to Moscow. Good luck. Militarily you won't have a problem with the Romanians methinks. I think diplomatically it could be dangerous though. I will be watching with much suspense.

p.s. where do you find these great posters? They function great as set pieces for the time period.

1938 December - 1939 July

Poster012.jpg

If the war comes tomorrow.....
youwillnotpass.png

You will not pass, remember 1914-1918?
1939: The year the world went to war
The Russian high command entered 1939 knowing that they would have to invade Rumania, so they decided to look back at thier Finnish campaign and look what lessons could be used. In the Finnish campaign the Red Army had pinned -with its numerical advantage- the Finnish Army in combat, then once the Finns were engaged over the whole front the Red Armour struck. It broke trough the front line and dashed for the major population centres. The plan had worked well so the high command decided to do the same in thier attack on Rumania.
The attack would be led by the Southern Front, with one armoured corps from the Kharkov front in support. In total the Red Army would muster 5 armoured, 3 cavelry, 2 moterised and about 30 infantry divisions against Rumania. Most of the armour was deployed close to the coast were the main breaktrough would be made.
The invasion went well but the Rumanian had more troops in reserve than anticpated and the war took longer than Stalin liked. For Stalin this was the second time that he invaded a small country and he was recieving threats from Germany, in response the USSR imposed a trade embargo against Germany.
Some more meddeling from the Axis came in the way of Hungary. They decided to annex part of Rumania while the USSR was attacking. Rumania, with enough trouble on her hands seded the part Hungary wanted.
The war ended on May 6th, five days after Germany attacked Poland. Rumania was annexed, but by this time other events had eclipsed this small war: The allies were at war with Germany and Slovakia.
On the 15th of June the USSR after a ultimatum annex Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania without a shot biing fired. The battlelines had been drawn and the swords sharpend as Europe plunged into the abiss.

romaniaconquest.png

Red: April 12th, Dark blue: April 16th, Green: April 22nd, Purple: April 26th, Yellow: May 6th, Continuas Green Line: Hungary's inteverance.
ussr1939politics.png

The Ultimatum, Axis, Allies and Comintern
ussr1939.png

The battlelines had been drawn by July 1939

The capturing of Romania can be of great value, or a major problem you may experience in the future as the Germans could cut off the Romanian garrisons with ease, though I doubt the German AI will be capable of doing that with you in control of the Communist world. This keeps getting more interesting as the updates continue...

Keep up the great work!

@Leifnepstad: Brazil is in the axis, but I am trying to get Turkey and Bulgaria into the Comintern, this would strengthen my southern wing, and get me axis to the meddeteranian.
@Volksmarchal:My plan is that as soon as the war starts with the Axis, I will knock Hungary out with a massive concentration of troops, this will smash the German's southern wing and threathen the fatherland itself. Anyhow I also built some transports to evacuate or invade Rumania as nessecery.
Thanks for all the support :), it certainly encourages me to keep on going.
Next update will be on monday.

Can't tell for sure from the map, but it looks like you did the MR Treaty with Germany. If so, I think you can't start a war for 2 years. May have misunderstood that, but that was what I thought the update notes said about non-aggression pacts. Of, course, the info wasn't too clear on if that just meant Germany and the SU, or their factions too.:confused: