BATTELTECH - [SOLVED] Black screen with cursor and FPS count

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instagibb

Private
Apr 24, 2018
One line summary of your issue
[SOLVED] Black screen with cursor and FPS count

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
after i start the game i get past the HBS logo, The paradox logo, and the Unity logo, then i get the logo of the atlas after that all i get is a black screen with the game cursor and an FPS counter no clicking or key presses will do anything at all. When i do a screen cap it wont show the cursor but its not the windows cursor its the one for ingame.

Steps to reproduce the issue
launching the game and waiting past logo's

Upload attachment

After alot of investigation and digging in the log i stumbled upon my issue that was causing the game to not work. I am also posting a list compiled by AldathPDX and paradox QA rep that was posted in this thread

after reading the outputlog i noticed alot of errors including steamworks not sure what role that plays but got me thinking.

1. so i deleted my entire steam folder after backing up the games i had installed in the \steam\steamapps\common folder
2. I deleted all registry keys related to valve (in the in depth guide to removing steam) found here https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526
3. downloaded a new steam installer and let it install
4. copied my backed up common folder back into new install location
5. selected to install battletech and let steam discover the files i put in its game directory
6. loaded it up and it works. cant believe it works

Fix's gathered from AldathPDX (this is his post im just putting it on top to make it esier for people to find)

I have compiled a list of potential solutions. Again, not sure if any of these will work, but it might be worth giving them a shot:

Recommend trying each of these steps one by one, launching the game after each step in order to determine the cause:
Close all your third party apps or unnecessary processes in order to check for software incompatibility issues: disable antivirus (some people reported issues with their antivirus launching the game in containment / sandbox mode) or whitelist the game on your antivirus, close game recording tools such as Fraps, video players etc.
Verify the integrity of your game files (right click the game on Steam -> Properties -> Local files)
If you have any integrated graphics card, disable it from the Device Manager
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card (some users actually reported that it worked by downgrading to an older driver, though)
Restart Steam / GOG (not kidding, it worked for me when I encountered the black screen + FPS issue!)
Turn the Steam / GOG Galaxy overlay on/off
Try launching the game without internet
Download and install the codec pack "CCCP", which could help with fixing video player crashes
Try clearing the following folders and registry:
- Delete the Harebrained Schemes folder from C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow
Type "%temp%" (without quotation marks) in your Windows Explorer and delete every folder that mentions "BattleTech" or "Harebrained Schemes"
Open the "Run" command (use the key combination Windows + R) and type "regedit". Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\" and delete the Harebrained Schemes key
Try launching the game with a different resolution or graphics preset. In order to do this, hold down the ALT key while launching the game and select a different resolution, change to Windowed / Full Screen mode or change the preset

Attachments

• Screenshot of black screen.jpg
    Screenshot of black screen.jpg
    137,2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I just started having this issue today. Been playing the game just fine for the last week and today when I logged in I get the frame rate blank screen. The only thing that has changed since yesterday is I updated the game but that was earlier yesterday and it is playing fine. I tried a couple of the fixes (downloaded CCCP, updated video drivers, etc. and still the same "frame rate screen of death"). Really love this game, please help!!!! Here is my output file.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    24 KB · Views: 23
same for me, i didn't have this problem until the update that arrived yesterday evening (i'm in japan), currently trying the "delete temp folder" fix.

EDIT : whelp, that didn't solve it, but this time i got an error log !

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    43,2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
me again !

i fixed the problem, for those who might still be struggling here's what i did :

first of all, i think this bug first occured after i accidentally disconnected my AC adapter during a loading screen, for what that may be worth. the game worked before that if we exclude the "3 years later" mission issue.

so long story short, i uninstalled battletech (steam version), then purged everything related to it from the steam folders, including one file in the "dump" steam folder, whatever that was. also got rid of the harebrained folder in the appdata folder. also murdered the harebrain registry entry as indicated somewhere in this thread.
In addition to this in the appdata>roaming folder, i had an AMD folder with some weird files named openGL something, i don't know what they were, but the last time i played the game i was using the -force-openGL trick to circumvent the "3 years later" mission issue. (which apparently worked). also the creation date of those files matched, so i deleted the entire folder (what's the worst that can happen anyway ?)

reinstalled Battletech, it seems to work. i'm about to load the autosave "career day 1", pray for me folks !

I think I sorted this for myself.

I use an "N" version of Windows 10, which doesn't come with Media Player and a few other things. Sometimes, after a Windows Update (which happened recently, to Windows v 1803), I need to install the Windows 10 Media Feature Pack again with the latest version to fix some games, notably GTA V, and, it turns out, probably BATTLETECH as well. I came back from vacation to a Windows Update and an unworking BATTLETECH, with the blank intro cinematic as described above.

After trying a bunch of different fixes, I had the hunch that it might be the Windows N Issue, so I tried GTA V and lo, it reported the normal error associated with this issue.

I installed the Windows 10 N Media Feature Pack from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack (select the April 2018 version), restarted, and both games are now working properly.

"N" versions of Windows are frequently sold in the EU due to anti-trust issues, so if you're an EU user running into this problem, try this fix!

Hi all,

I started having this problem last week and after comparing various logs I found a few that shared something. It seems that Windows in its infinite wisdom has a habit of changing file ownership without telling you. So I ran a takeown from the Admin CMD and viola, no more FPS of Death screen for me.
To note, I tried the Regedits (I have the unsupported keys as well), moved the install folder, reinstalled, with and without mods, restarted the game, steam, and computer, and turned off all overlays and cloud saving. Nothing worked til the command below. I reloaded my output.log in n++ before posting here or I would show the line that sent me down this path.

takeown /f D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\BATTLETECH /r /d y

I hope this helps a few ppl.

Closing this thread as it is old, and problems it covers have either been fixed or are addressed elsewhere in more recent ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.