BATTELTECH - [SOLVED] Black screen with cursor and FPS count

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instagibb

Private
Apr 24, 2018
One line summary of your issue
[SOLVED] Black screen with cursor and FPS count

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
after i start the game i get past the HBS logo, The paradox logo, and the Unity logo, then i get the logo of the atlas after that all i get is a black screen with the game cursor and an FPS counter no clicking or key presses will do anything at all. When i do a screen cap it wont show the cursor but its not the windows cursor its the one for ingame.

Steps to reproduce the issue
launching the game and waiting past logo's

Upload attachment

After alot of investigation and digging in the log i stumbled upon my issue that was causing the game to not work. I am also posting a list compiled by AldathPDX and paradox QA rep that was posted in this thread

after reading the outputlog i noticed alot of errors including steamworks not sure what role that plays but got me thinking.

1. so i deleted my entire steam folder after backing up the games i had installed in the \steam\steamapps\common folder
2. I deleted all registry keys related to valve (in the in depth guide to removing steam) found here https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526
3. downloaded a new steam installer and let it install
4. copied my backed up common folder back into new install location
5. selected to install battletech and let steam discover the files i put in its game directory
6. loaded it up and it works. cant believe it works

Fix's gathered from AldathPDX (this is his post im just putting it on top to make it esier for people to find)

I have compiled a list of potential solutions. Again, not sure if any of these will work, but it might be worth giving them a shot:

Recommend trying each of these steps one by one, launching the game after each step in order to determine the cause:
Close all your third party apps or unnecessary processes in order to check for software incompatibility issues: disable antivirus (some people reported issues with their antivirus launching the game in containment / sandbox mode) or whitelist the game on your antivirus, close game recording tools such as Fraps, video players etc.
Verify the integrity of your game files (right click the game on Steam -> Properties -> Local files)
If you have any integrated graphics card, disable it from the Device Manager
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card (some users actually reported that it worked by downgrading to an older driver, though)
Restart Steam / GOG (not kidding, it worked for me when I encountered the black screen + FPS issue!)
Turn the Steam / GOG Galaxy overlay on/off
Try launching the game without internet
Download and install the codec pack "CCCP", which could help with fixing video player crashes
Try clearing the following folders and registry:
- Delete the Harebrained Schemes folder from C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow
Type "%temp%" (without quotation marks) in your Windows Explorer and delete every folder that mentions "BattleTech" or "Harebrained Schemes"
Open the "Run" command (use the key combination Windows + R) and type "regedit". Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\" and delete the Harebrained Schemes key
Try launching the game with a different resolution or graphics preset. In order to do this, hold down the ALT key while launching the game and select a different resolution, change to Windowed / Full Screen mode or change the preset

Attachments

• Screenshot of black screen.jpg
    Screenshot of black screen.jpg
    137,2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same with me as well:

Tried all these things with no results:

1) Checked steam file file integrity 100 percent perfect. - no fix
2) Reinstalled Game - no fix
3) Tried restarting the computer. - no fix
4) Tried renaming AVpro dll to another name. - no fix
5) Gave .exe Admin - no fix
6) Tried latest graphic driver 391.35 Nvidia
7) Tried shutting off steam cloud and overlay - no fix

we are not the only people having this issue .

Can you guys please attach your "output_log.txt" file? You should be able to find it here:
\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data

That might help the devs find out what's actually causing the issue.

Some users reported having this fixed after installing the CCCP Codec Pack. Can you guys try that and let me know if it fixes the issue for you?

You can download it here:
http://www.cccp-project.net/

It might be a good workaround until the devs find a proper fix for it.

I am having the same issue...mine will sometimes load to the campaign/skirmish selection screen then crashes or I get nothing but black screen with cursor and sometimes with music but no vid...attached is crash file

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    428,9 KB · Views: 235
  • error.log
    25,2 KB · Views: 19
  • crash.dmp
    334,6 KB · Views: 15
Copying over my experience with this issue from the Steam forums, maybe it helps:

tl;dr: Downgrading my driver worked for me.

I had the issue where you see the Paradox + Unity logo, but then the "invisible" intro starts, can be skipped via ESC, but the screen stays black all the time.
I've an old Radeon HD 6700 (GTX 970 died, waiting for GPU prices to stabilize), and I had the latest stable driver from the AMD homepage installed, which was from 2015.
Everything worked, but the games sometimes crashed (during the menus on the Landing ship).
I did then upgrade to a driver from 2018 - got the black screen, everything broken.
Went back to the most recent beta driver from the AMD homepage (from 2016): everything works again.

Therefore - downgrading your driver might resolve the issue, as stupid as it sounds.

Oh, and moving the game to SSD has made it A LOT more responsive and less likely to hang/crash.

Ok so just gonna crosspost this from steam I may have found the problem if not the solution at least on my machine the black screen happens when I use stereo sound via the realtec hd audio sound output that windows slaps on all stereo outputs while all surround sound outputs cause the game to load properly. Now that could be a simple sound issue with stereo audio systems on the game's side or it could be just the realtec hd audio driver. not sure in this case as I didn't have any other stereo sound systems to check this on that don't use that driver. (I'm using voicemeeter set up as a 7.1 and mixing the audio down to 2 channel output to bypass the problem since any surround system seems to work while the 2 channel doesn't.)

BATTELTECH - Black screen with cursor and FPS count

You are not the only one with this problem without a output log.

And the CCCP did not help either.

Nor did going back to a older driver

got home and no output log to speak of in my folder. maybe never got that far...

BATTELTECH - Black screen with cursor and FPS count

You are not the only one with this problem without a output log.

And the CCCP did not help either.

Nor did going back to a older driver

It's very weird that your game is not even generating output logs. These should start being written as soon as you start the game. I haven't even encountered a remotely similar issue while testing the game.

I'm not sure if this will help much, but we could try to clear some folders and the registry:
  1. Go to "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow" and delete the "Harebrained Schemes" folder
  2. Use the run command (Windows key + R) and enter "regedit". Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes" and delete the whole Harebrained Schemes folder.
  3. In your Windows Explorer, type "%temp%" and delete any folders that mention "Harebrained Schemes" or "Battletech"
  4. Verify your game files again
  5. Launch the game and see if it solves anything
  6. If not, can you check if an output_log.txt file was generated in BattleTech_Data? It's usually located about half-way through the folder (...\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data)

It's very weird that your game is not even generating output logs. These should start being written as soon as you start the game. I haven't even encountered a remotely similar issue while testing the game.

I'm not sure if this will help much, but we could try to clear some folders and the registry:
  1. Go to "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow" and delete the "Harebrained Schemes" folder
  2. Use the run command (Windows key + R) and enter "regedit". Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes" and delete the whole Harebrained Schemes folder.
  3. In your Windows Explorer, type "%temp%" and delete any folders that mention "Harebrained Schemes" or "Battletech"
  4. Verify your game files again
  5. Launch the game and see if it solves anything
  6. If not, can you check if an output_log.txt file was generated in BattleTech_Data? It's usually located about half-way through the folder (...\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data)
i did all of that and still same problem

support ticket 135937

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...sue-starting-the-game-bug-please-fix.1091271/

bug thread.

Dunno what to do please fix i scheduled this time off

I also have the issue where after the Atlas logo it just sits on the black screen with the FPS counter in the top right corner.

I have also done the steps of making sure drivers are to update, lnstalling CCCP codec, doing the folder removal for harebrained schemes, removing and reinstalling game, renaming the DLL, verifying game files. All to no avail.

I am attaching my output_log.txt.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    22,4 KB · Views: 197
Exact same problem here. Updated all drivers and installed the cccp. I had a full computer crash before this started happening. Not the game is not playable. Re-installed and verified and all that jazz.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    41,1 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.