• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm torn... on the one hand, this is a good story; on the other, it's been about 6 chapters and we're still following Doyvat II. Part of me wants to see this saga through to its natural end; another wants to see the world advance into the Renaissance and beyond.

I notice you haven't written in Anglo-Prussian for awhile. Got tired of having to translate ideas into a nonexistent language? Can't blame you; it's a lot of work for flavor. Like how AGEod spent forever trying to appease its fan base by getting the flavor numbers right for AACW even though the numbers were completely meaningless from an operational standpoint.

For those just arriving: Last update is on the other page.

I'm torn... on the one hand, this is a good story; on the other, it's been about 6 chapters and we're still following Doyvat II. Part of me wants to see this saga through to its natural end; another wants to see the world advance into the Renaissance and beyond.

I notice you haven't written in Anglo-Prussian for awhile. Got tired of having to translate ideas into a nonexistent language? Can't blame you; it's a lot of work for flavor. Like how AGEod spent forever trying to appease its fan base by getting the flavor numbers right for AACW even though the numbers were completely meaningless from an operational standpoint.
To address the first concern: the problem is that I am doing my best to write a complete history, that is to say I am doing my best to stay faithful to my notes and to a game where I didn't skip to the Renaissance. I understand and I am trying to move away from Doyvat as much as I can but in the end the monarchy is still vital to the story. The Renaissance is still a long way off and I cannot let my notes and writing get too far off, so actually we are in need of a jump here in the next few updates. The story is still in 1389 and the history has moved on to 1394, not a big gap but things are happening that we need to see.

To address the second concern: I've never written in Prussian a lot anyway partially because I am not fluent in it and partially because it is sort of my pet project and not everyone seems to like it. Namely because it hinders understanding and that is important. I like to use it when I can and I might try using it on the facebook page more often but in the end it has a niche and I use it only when I feel it is worth it.

Thanks for the tough questions!

Sorry for the delay. I am trying to wrap things up with this story and move onto a new one.. but I keep not liking what I've written and starting from scrap. I'll probably give it another shot tonight and see where it goes.

But new arc starts soon, probably a shorter one but also it will NOT be in Prussia or concern Prussians.

Bastions
Chapter Fifty Two: Empire of Sand
Part 2

Prelude
The war between Denmark and the Muslims that ruled southern Sweden and Norway came to a close in 1395. Three years of struggles and the Danish, still fighting Holstein on the mainland, needed to cut some of their losses to free soldiers up to keep pressure on their southern border. It was a calculated risk, but it was a gamble that had to be taken. Thousands of ships carried goods, riches, soldiers, and tens of thousands of people to the Danish isles and Jutland. But the ships could only carry so many people and many were left behind to deal with the victorious Muslims. Skane was surrendered in the hopes that Jutland could be saved. The position of the Muslims in Sweden was quickly becoming one of hegemony. They were quickly building wealth and power, though they were having a tough time making converts. Traditional forms of Islam generally limited conversions as they imposed a special tax on non-believers, but Frandism had no such tax. So Frandist missionaries were a premium in Sweden. These missionaries began to sprout up in neighboring Christian states as well, including Finland and the rump Norse Kingdoms. Meanwhile, in Prussia, the royal family celebrated relative stability. Their first son, Georgs, had been born in late 1389 and despite a sickly start had survived his first five years. It was around this age that King Doyvát decided to invest in his son the title of "Prince of Prussia," which more or less confirmed the practice of primogeniture in Prussia.

August 20th, 1389

"Why did you do it?" Godiwa asked quietly.

Kenric turned away from the warmth of the fire and saw that she was looking straight at him. "What do you mean? I..."

"When the King stopped us I screamed over and over in my head for someone to protect me... I prayed it would be Werna, he would know what to say and what to do, but the only face I could picture was yours. And I was so mad..." The Harrower held his breath as she looked away, light dancing on the flowers spread throughout her curls. "But when I opened my eyes... it was you, standing there."

"I thought he was going to hurt you."

"I thought so too."

"What is it like," Kenric asked getting her to look his way again, "being royalty?"

"Stupid," she said with a 'hmph.' "I don't like that the silver-faced bitch knocked all my flowers out. If being royalty means I cannot wear flowers I'd rather be a peasant."

"Would you really?" Kenric asked, already violating his attempts to not sound like such an ass.

"Well... I'd rather be out here... with all of my friends. Even if they don't always think before they speak."

"Thanks," Kenric said.

"Would you call me Princess, though?" Godiwa asked. Her eyes bubbled like a sad puppy's and Kenric couldn't help but nod. He knew that had Ramondas been here he would give him a hard time, but it was like Godiwa had said, there was a certain magic around her and the other Lith women.

March 8th, 1399

The streets of Edessa were packed with bodies as people crowded around to hear the latest street preacher, a stately Qurati man with olive skin and blonde hair that hung around his shoulders. He looked like a Bedouin warrior, a master of the sun and the sands. At his hip the traditional long sword of a Christian crusader, which at times would double as his cross. During a particularly dramatic moment his ripped it from its scabbard and hoisted it above his head pommel first, gripping the blade so hard blood ran down the polished steel.

"Brothers!" he cried mightily. "Brothers there is a war! There has always been a war! And you have ignored its call!" His voice bellowed and echoed through the streets. His audience stood in stunned silence. "Our crusade has not ended! Our crusade was a gift from GOD ALMIGHTY!"

He paused for dramatic effect, "I do not remember GOD telling us we could stop!" he continued. "Was I too busy fighting to hear the trumpets sound or watch the sky split open as our LORD AND SAVIOR came down from above and told the rest of you 'Rest in defeat my weary warriors for you have done your best?!'" He brought his sword down and wiped the blood from his face. He almost didn't seem to notice what would have had any other man rolling in pain. But his hands we covered in scars as was much of his body.

"Our enemies are numerous," he said quietly, forcing everyone to pack in around him. He slowly lowered himself down, sitting rather than standing, with his sword resting against his shoulder, its pommel next to his face. "Our enemies are numerous and all around us. Turks and Persians and Arabs and Kurds and traitors and all sorts of undesirables... they surround us and they infect us."

"What can we do?" a meek voice cried from the back of the crowd.

"What can we do?" the preacher repeated. "What can we do when the forces of evil try to drag us down to the pits of eternal suffering? WE DO WHAT CRUSADERS DO!" he shouted with sudden enthusiasm. "WE FIGHT! WE TAKE BACK THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN!" This time he swung the sword around and gripping it tightly thrust the blade into the sky, standing dramatically. "WE KILL THE INFEDELS! WE BURN THEIR CROPS AND WE DRIVE THEM BEFORE OUR RIGHTEOUS MIGHT!"

Cheers filled the crowd as the spirit of their long-dead Kingdom began to infuse back into their souls. "War is the way of the Qurati! We are warriors! We are guaranteed victory! We will conquer the Kingdoms lost! And from Jerusalem we will bring forth the end of those who would reject the authority of Christ Divine!" Again he thrust his sword upward and now guards seemed to be getting involved. The pushed their way to the preacher through the sea of people. But the preacher saw them and leveled his sword at their faces, "Warriors! Today we spill blood!"

One of the guards drew his sword and pushed back any would-be crusader. But he turned and saw his friend being dragged down to the ground and pelted with rocked and shoes. He barely had time to register he had been stabbed once before the crowd descended on him brandishing blades and stones and fists.

The once mighty Qurati had been reduced to complacent inhabitants, slaves in their own cities; their once powerful empire now divided and scattered to the winds. Only in the Persian Gulf did they fight on, centered on the rock of Bahrain, but as the Seljuk warlords fought and bickered the Qurati began to organize.

Last edited:
Ick, religious zealots.

Glad to see you're back!

This is superb. I really think you should do a book or something on this. I know Paradox holds the right on what's posted here, and you already said this, but i guess they'd be kind to give the rights on this to you. You are a mod, afterall, right?

This is superb. I really think you should do a book or something on this. I know Paradox holds the right on what's posted here, and you already said this, but i guess they'd be kind to give the rights on this to you. You are a mod, afterall, right?
Paradox actually now has a publishing wing, but I think I want to finish it here before I officially put it to ink.

Hey everyone. Just a heads up that Bastions will be on hiatus between June 30th and July 12th. I will try to have at least two or three updates in between now and then.

For those that are interested, Brigid and I are finally getting married (June 29th) and after our first night we are getting on a plane and are headed to the Republic of Ireland, the home of our ancestors. We will be in Dublin and Galway for almost two weeks.

I cannot promise an update the night after we get back, but I will do my best to have it out within a few days (barring terrible jet lag).

Just started reading this, your honeymoon will offer me a chance to begin catching up!

All the best for the forthcoming wedding, hope you both have a fantastic time in Ireland.

Congratulations indeed! Make sure you don't stress or rush yourself getting updates done before and after the hiatus. I'm sure we'd all rather you miss a self-imposed deadline if the alternative was giving us something that you're not happy with.

I know it's not original but congratulations! :) Have a good time in Ireland.

First might I say congratulations and enjoy Ireland for me. Florida isn't all it's cracked up to be this time of the year.

But as for this story (I think AAR does not satisfactorily describe it), it is fantastic. The world building is magnificent and you make it different, but not unbelievable. If you talked to a friend about French Cossacks, they would think you are crazy. You make it seem completely believable. Your characters are also very good. When it is hard to figure out who the antagonist is, you have done well. One complaint I have is Vishly. I loved his character in the beginning, but at the end he was just crazy. I guess I was spoiled by the parallels you drew with Vlad Țepeș. I just love Vlad in history and how in Romania he is considered a national hero for reforming the economy, breaking the power of the nobles, and standing up to the Ottomans. Vishly just didn't live up to his real life counterpart. Other than that this is a beautiful story indeed, especially your modern updates.