• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So you colonized texas by yourself ?
That is hard to answer: "Texas" is a country in the Baltikja time line. It is solely Prussian. The area we call "Texas" is divided between Muslim settlers in the east (originally Normands, but they have been outnumbered recently by the Istimari) and Prussian settlers in the west.

So, after about a month of reading this on and off, finally got to the end. Fantastic job with everything regarding this AAR sir. You really have created a stunning world. Look forward to the next update.
Thank you very much. I look forward to actually writing it too. :eek:o This weekend was a bit busier than I expected.

Bastions
Culture Updates
The Germans and the Wallachians

The German people have spent the better part of seventy years on a personal quest to unmake the Second World War. In the depths of the Great Depression the victor of the First World War - Germany - sought to cement its control over Europe. They sought strength from within and soon found the entire nation caught up in a whirlwind of nationalism and jingoism. When the Netherlands elected a left-wing government, the Germans stepped in on the behalf of their nationalist brethren and sought to "correct" this obvious miscount. The Second World War lasted from 1938 to 1946 and pitted great rivals against one another. In the end Germany was cut up into several states, today two of those states still exist: Germany and Lothgaria. But lost in the fold is the other German language: Wallach. Wallachians are the decedents of displaced Germans from the XIII and XIV Centuries. Their culture is foreign and their language strange to the Germans. The Wallachians are truly a people of the Balkans, regardless of their language, and for this they are not the first thing people think of when asked about the Germanic peoples of Central Europe.

A note on "Standard" German; standard German is the German as regulated by Zwischenståtlischa Kommission für ditsch Rechschriibung (International Commission for Germany Orthography). Despite the name the ZKR deals with more than orthography and built "Standard German" mostly from the ground up in the late XIX Century. The basis for German as taught in schools and internationally is the Swabian and Bavarian dialects, which made up the ruling class during German unification. Since Helvetia was the only other independent German state at the time and spoke a very closely related dialect, they also adopted Hoochditsch as their administrative language.

Germans.png

German and Wallachian divided into their different dialects. Similar colors represent related dialects. Standard German is based on the German spoken around München. The dark grey region in the east, bordering Prussia and Silesia, has no dominant dialect.

The Wallachians settled in the Balkans en masse after the fall of Zähringer Germany. As devout Christians, many were fearful of the new Muslim government and sought safety in the East. Wallachia at the time was a relatively new conquest of the Prussians and they sought to drive out both the native Vlach populations and the Greeks who had slowly been moving into the area. The Germans made for good settlers and brought with them many traditions from the old lands. Wallachian is a Germanic language and shares many similarities with the Saxon dialects of German. The two languages, however, are not mutually intelligible. Wallachians make up the majority of the Wallachian Autonomous Republic, which is part of the Carpathian Republic. They are one of two protected minorities groups with autonomy in Carpathia (the others being the Hungarians). After 2012 it seems like Wallachian independence might be a real thing, but they are still too heavily reliant on Carpathia for income.

Wallachian is divided into four dialects with over 80% of speakers belonging to the standard Wallachian. Outside of the Autonomous Republic, Wallachian is rarely spoken by anyone, but those who still speak it often speak with strong regional dialects. Since Medieval times Wallachian was written using the Greek script, but they have recently come under pressure to adopt the Latin script that is used in the majority of Carpathia, though the best chance to make such a change was when Carpathia switched from the Demi-Greek alphabet to the Latin alphabet in 1995. But that train has since left the station, so to speak.

The Germany of old is currently two states: both Federal Republics and both major players on the European stage. The first and foremost is Germany itself. But after the Second World War it was joined by Lothgaria. Unlike the divided Germany meant to help occupy the region and keep it from quickly becoming a global power again, Lothgaria was meant to be permanently independent. But culturally Lothgaria is a divided place. The majority of the country is German but there is a small Dutch population that makes up the majority of the West-most provinces. Many have referred to Lothgaria as that "State that Doesn't Want to Be". There are two major movements within Lothgaria's political workings: the Partii für Einhiit (The Unity Party) and the Komite vör Nederlandse Integratie (Committee for Dutch Integration). Together these two parties make up a third of the representatives in Lothgaria. The Unity Party wishes to unite Lothgaria with Germany while the KvNI wants to unite Lothgaria with the Netherlands. At first glance one might assume these two parties are bitter enemies, but instead they work closely together and the Unity Party has already said that if it manages to fulfill its promise of unity, the Dutch provinces are free to go or join based on their own wishes. However; it is unlikely such a move would even happen as it is staunchly opposed by France, Prussia and the United Kingdom (though supported by the Netherlands and Sweden). The name "Lothgaria" comes from "Lotharingia" corrupted through Classical Arabic. Lothgaria, though unused for centuries, was chosen as a non-nationalistic compromise between the desire to give it a German or Dutch name.

Germanies.jpg

Germany after the Second World War, note that German Zilina is still under German control.

Germany itself is a leader among the nations. Her economy is strong and her people determined to live on. The shame of the Second World War has mostly subsided. There is a great deal of pride, though, in the victory during the First. Germany is a large multi-ethnic state that rose from the ashes of the Medieval Caliphate that stretched from Lisbon to Berlin. United in the XIX Century by the King of Bavaria, Germany is very much a nation that rose from ancient Feudalism. There are four official languages in Germany besides German: Danish, Prussian, Czech and Slovene. These languages can always be heard in government buildings and seen on bilingual signs throughout the country. Germany is also a multi-religious nation. The vast majority of people are Frandists, but Prussian Orthodoxy still flourishes in the Prussian, Danish and Czech regions of the nation. There are also large numbers of Prussian Unionists throughout the eastern reaches of the nation. Also present, though in smaller numbers, are Jews in the southern states of Bavaria and Swabia and Revisionists throughout the country. Despite a violent history, Revisionism has turned its back on its past and looks to move forward as a united part of the Republic. Revisionism enjoys a protected status as a minority religion that has no real homeland of its own other than Germany. German Revisionism is no longer in communion with Gaelic Revisionism, though maintains a cordial relation with Galician Revisionism.

Lastly is the state of Helvetia. Helvetia (or rarely: Switzerland) is a small, land-locked Republic in the Alps with a long history of not meddling in the affairs of others. Before German Unification, Helvetia also included much of Swabia (but not its current Eastern territories) in a large Confederation of Feudal holdings and Commonwealth provinces. These territories left to join Germany when Bavaria and her allies marched to war against Holstein. With the death of one Caliphate and the birth of another, Helvetia snuggled into her snowy blankets to wait out the many wars that tore apart XX Century Europe. It was only because she was a German nation that Germany spared Helvetia, assuming that after total victory she would be a wealthy ally. But The Swiss never chose sides and waited things out patiently. Toward the end of the Second World War, Helvetia dutifully joined the Allies, but only after their victory was assured. After that, Helvetica has been a faithful ally to both the UN and ATO.

GermanStates.png

The German Nations, Wallachia is shown within Carpathia along with the Autonomous Republic of Erdély.

Last edited:
Germany won World War 1? Interesting.

More interesting though is why Germany was split into 3 parts. . .I understand in OTL it was four but as we know that quickly just became two. Prussian and French part but what's the third?

Third and final question; ATO is, I'm guessing, an equivalent to NATO?

Germany won World War 1? Interesting.

More interesting though is why Germany was split into 3 parts. . .I understand in OTL it was four but as we know that quickly just became two. Prussian and French part but what's the third?

Third and final question; ATO is, I'm guessing, an equivalent to NATO?
Yes, the World Wars had different winners.

Germany was split into four (or three if you don't count Lothgaria) because Prussia was hoping its two parts (Holstein in the NE and Austria-Bohemia in the SE) would each be like Lothgaria and permanently independent, thus keeping Germany weak and dependent on the others.

You are correct; ATO is the Atlantic Treaty Organization. Since it isn't just in the North Atlantic, it is simply "ATO" rather than "NATO".

Lothgaria strongly reminds me of our Ukraine's situation x) .

I didn't think there was a sizable portion of Ukraine that wanted to reunite with Russia?

The culture and history updates are by far my favorites, you do such a great job in keeping them grounded in reality but at the same time, making them interesting.
Thank you, that's what takes me so long. ;)

Lothgaria strongly reminds me of our Ukraine's situation x) .

I didn't think there was a sizable portion of Ukraine that wanted to reunite with Russia?

Yes the bit were they speak Russian.
I think the main difference is that Lothgaria never really wanted independence. It is a lot like the Saarland after both World Wars. Someone else made them independent without really caring about the people there.

I am not an expert on the history of Ukraine, though, so I cannot really say too much about the matter.

Basically, Ukraine is divided, politically, in two : A pro-EU/NATO party, and pro-Russia one. The russian one is himself dominated by the pro-ratachment (not sure, there, but they have a significant weight), and dominate the russian-speaking zone. The "european" one is dominated by pro-independance, and dominate the central/western ukraine.

Basically, Ukraine is divided, politically, in two : A pro-EU/NATO party, and pro-Russia one. The russian one is himself dominated by the pro-ratachment (not sure, there, but they have a significant weight), and dominate the russian-speaking zone. The "european" one is dominated by pro-independance, and dominate the central/western ukraine.
I knew that much, but I wasn't going to speak for any Ukrainians or Russians on the matter. ;)