• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To War! To War, We Shall Go. Roussel is an actor and Anatolia is his stage.
Hopefully it will be an interesting war. Vahram is a talented general, certainly better than Nikephoros.
This is something I'd definitely do if I were a ruler back then :D:D sounds like great fun
:) I might have got a little carried away, but it's part of the fun of having a crazy duke!
Oh my, he turned out to be quite a poetic fella :p. How much power does the Duchess really have? To be able to participate in council meetings even with her husband absent, despite the fact that her role as wife has been undermined by Roussel's lover...
Well, the Duchess is regent, but that's about it. Roussel's a bit all over the place since his passions tend to overwhelm him and he favors one over the other and then switches. I think he's feeling better about the Duchess (I guess having an heir will do that), but that can always change. I think she's also come to accept her position and at least tolerate it.
Well, that's one way to justify a war...

Shouldn't happen too often, but once is certainly fine
I don't plan for it to happen again. I figured it was about time for another vision, and this coincided nicely with the war.

Reactions:
Chapter 12: The Never-Ending War (July 1078 - Nov. 1079)
Chapter 12: The Never-Ending War ( July 1078 - November 1079 )

Roussel began July by advancing with the bulk of his levies into Lykandos, the county he hoped to take from Vahram. The remainder of his levies were ordered to join him and advanced under their own commanders. Along the way, a detachment had encountered the bulk of Vahram's depleted army, brushing them aside in a series of skirmishes.

E87gTuo.png

Upon arriving in Lykandos, Roussel discovered that many of the keeps and cities were held by the Danishmends in their war to take the entirety of Cilicia. They appeared to have crushed the bulk of Vahram's army, but Roussel's scouts could find no trace of the Turks outside their isolated garrisons in Cilicia. Roussel had no conflict with them, but he did not wish to see their realm expand across the entirety of his south. Despite having lost much of his army, Vahram was besieging the occupied cities and keeps in the south, obviously hoping to raise fresh levies to secure his realm.

After besieging the remaining keeps in Lykandos, Roussel advanced east to Teluch. His men settled in for another series of sieges, leaving him time to spend with Ermyntrude. Ironically, war gave Roussel more free time than peace, and his wife, Theophano, had not accompanied him due to her pregnancy. Ermyntrude followed in her stead, keeping Roussel company during the boring days in a siege camp. In September, Ermyntrude informed him that their time together was going to produce another child, Ermyntrude's third with Roussel.

In late September, Roussel's scouts informed him that Vahram had replenished his forces and begun advancing north, likely toward Roussel's keep in Kaisereia. In response, Roussel lifted his siege and attempted to intercept the fearsome Armenian duke. The two met in battle on October 10, with Roussel immediately launching an aggressive attack that would come to define him in the later years of his life. These tactics shattered the unprepared Armenian left flank, causing them to withdraw south before Roussel and his men could overwhelm the other troops. Both sides lost roughly 100 men, but Roussel had won the battle, securing his lands and forcing Vahram to lick his wounds in the south. (Note: I know Aggressive Leader isn't necessarily the best trait, but I thought it fits with Roussel's character)

JZRXYr4.png

Shortly after the battle, Roussel was informed that several thousand peasants in Teluch had risen up and overwhelmed his garrison. They were most interested in throwing off Vahram, but Roussel's men had attempted to prevent their uprising. However, Roussel's scouts soon lost track of the force which concerned the duke greatly. Even though they were poorly armed peasants, a few thousand men could greatly upset the entire balance of the war. Outwardly unconcerned, Roussel assaulted a poorly defended keep in Lykandos before continuing south to Adana.

MLYhOO0.png

A few days later, a rider arrived from Kaisereia informing Roussel that his oldest bastard son, Robert, was in need of a tutor. Roussel ordered that Simon, marshal of the realm, should tutor the boy in the ways of war. Simon had served with Roussel in his years as a mercenary captain, distinguishing himself as a loyal and capable comrade in arms. Roussel felt strongly that martial training was what turned boys into men, and Simon was certain to be one of the best. Roussel would have liked to guide the boy himself, but that was likely to upset Theophano and was unrealistic due to the war.

The rest of October was spent besieging keeps in Adana, but news soon arrived that Theophano had given birth to a healthy girl, Emma. Roussel was pleased to have a daughter, and this would allow Theophano to handle minor matters at court once more. In early November, Roussel decided to advance east once more to besiege Teluch.

As of mid-January, the rebels had shown up in Teluch and laid siege to both Roussel's garrison and the remaining Danishmends. Roussel's scouts had also found a massive army in Aintab; these men had been recruited by a Turkic adventurer that had taken the county from Vahram before swearing fealty. They remained fiercely loyal to their count, but they were not interested in winning Vahram's war for him. Roussel hoped the rebels would capture the Danishmends' keeps in Lykandos, eventually allowing him to return to the province and take them from the rebels. Until that happened, Roussel and his men maintained their siege camps in Teluch.

GyyxKDk.png

On April 16, Roussel was informed that Ermyntrude had given birth to another son, Ferant. Once again, Roussel acknowledged the bastard but did not legitimize him as an heir. During the past months, the rebels had finally captured most of the keeps and cities in Lykandos. They did not seem interested in moving on, so Roussel contented himself with finishing the siege in Teluch before doing anything else.

On May 4, the defenders of Teluch finally surrendered, allowing Roussel's men to loot the keep. The rebels had not yet finished their siege in Lykandos, so Roussel continued to besiege the city of Germanias within the same county. This was completed in July, adding even more loot to the duke's coffers. The rebels had also finished their work and headed northeast, into Danishmend territory. Roussel's scouts also reported that Vahram had entered Roussel's lands, likely headed for Kaisereia once more.

Roussel advanced to Lykandos as planned, immediately laying siege to the keep. Vahram would be allowed to camp outside the walls of Kaisereia since Roussel was confident they would hold until Lykandos fell and he could march north once more. By early September, all of the keeps and cities in Lykandos were secured since the rebels had left a skeleton garrison in the province. At the same time, the rebels had arrived in Teluch once more (!), but Roussel was not overly concerned about the province.

RonozGA.png

After taking the final keeps, Roussel immediately headed north to crush Vahram's army. Roussel's army was down to only 3000 men due to attrition from the long months of campaigning, but Vahram had far fewer men. Vahram's scouts must have reported Roussel's advance since he brought his army away from the walls of Kaisereia, clearly hoping to avoid getting crushed between Roussel's army and the garrison. In early October, the armies finally met on a plain dotted with small farms and clumps of trees near the city of Talas.

Roussel placed the bulk of his forces on his right flank, leaving the left flank weakest. Vahram mirrored this concentration with his much smaller forces, but he did not have as many men to hold the line. Rather than engage Vahram that afternoon, Roussel allowed his exhausted men to rest overnight, hoping they would be fresh for a battle in the morning.

Roussel appeared to have significantly more infantry than Vahram, as well as cavalry, but his archers had taken heavy losses in the sieges in Cilicia, leaving him with only a minor advantage over Vahram. During the night, the Armenian had advanced most of his archers far ahead of the line, just past a clump of trees on Roussel's flank. This appeared to be a major tactical mistake, especially with Roussel's advantage in cavalry. The rest of Vahram's army was stretched in a thin line directly ahead of Roussel's forces, causing the confident Norman to order an advance.

ykG5V1G.png

Much of Roussel's cavalry was ordered to see off the Armenian archers before they could disrupt the line's advance, rushing far ahead of the infantry. As lances met the levied peasants, a number of Armenian soldiers burst from the forest, catching the knights in a melee after avoiding their devastating charge. Vahram had cleverly stationed his best infantry in the forest and used the archers to bait Roussel's cavalry forward while the peasant infantry and some straw dummies convinced Roussel the entire army was in front of him.

The Armenian infantry saw off much of Roussel's cavalry and suddenly presented a major threat to Roussel's left flank. The bulk of the peasant levies had already collided with Vahram's line, so the Normans had few troops that could be used to cover the suddenly exposed flank. Instead, Roussel ordered one of his knights to gather any infantry in reserve and prepare them to cover the flank. This would take more time than Roussel had though, so he decided to gather his household knights and launch a charge on the flanking Armenians.

The Norman conroi formed themselves into two ranks of roughly 15 men each and trotted toward the Armenians. Just before contact, the knights urged their horses faster and lowered lances, devastating the advancing infantry. Many of the Armenians turned and ran, shattered by the famous Norman charge. However, there had not been enough knights to drive all the infantry off, and no further waves were incoming. The Armenians redoubled their efforts, advancing fiercely against the isolated Normans. Slowly, the knights gave ground despite fierce fighting. Roussel lead by example, striking down many Armenians. However, his foes redoubled their efforts, eventually catching him with a spearpoint and unhorsing him. The point had failed to pierce Roussel's mail, but it had certainly left a bruise and possibly cracked a rib. The blow and the fall from his horse knocked the wind from Roussel and left him momentarily stunned. The Armenians pressed on, driving off the rest of Roussel's conroi or striking them down.

4jomOiR.png

A few moments later, Roussel rose from the dirt, gasping but determined to kill those that had slaughtered his men. As he chased after them, a lone Armenian stepped forward. The man was short and stout with shabby armor, but he carried himself like a lord. Worryingly, his spearpoint had clearly tasted blood during this battle.

"Greetings Duke Roussel, this is not how I had hoped to meet you. I am Oshim, son of Hetum, of house Pahlavuni," the Armenian offered.

"What are you doing here you fool? Your father is my friend, but you dishonor him by leading my enemy!" Roussel spat.

"It is complicated, Duke. Vahram has promised me my birthright should I serve him well. I do not relish fighting you, but I shall do what I must."

"Enough of this! You shall pay for my men's lives, you treacherous snake!" Roussel shouted as he entered a fighting position. Oshim mirrored him, and the two warriors began circling each other, sizing up their opponent. Both had trained hard and fought in many wars, but Roussel was obviously shaken by his injury and fallen comrades.

Roussel attempted to strike first, launching an overhand blow against Oshim's head with his sword. Despite Roussel's lightning quick swing, Oshim deftly stepped aside and jabbed at Roussel's exposed armpit. The Norman absorbed the blow on his shield and immediately launched another strike. Oshim continued to dodge, but Roussel landed a handful of non-penetrating strikes on his body. However, Roussel was beginning to tire, and Oshim was nearly fully rested.

After Roussel's final strike which Oshim deftly brushed aside, the Armenian suddenly unleased a flurry of blows. Roussel blocked many of them, but some inevitably slipped through. A strike on Roussel's leg caused him to collapse, grunting in pain.

"Do not feel ashamed, Duke. You have fought long and hard, but today was not your day. Surrender to me and your wounds shall be tended to," Oshim offered. Roussel glared at the Armenian standing over him and attempted to rise. However, the Armenian jabbed him in the gut with the butt of the spear, causing Roussel to collapse in defeat.

A few moments later, Henry de Ferrers, one of Roussel's knights, had finally gathered the infantry reserves and charged the remaining Armenians. He succeeded in driving them off, saving Roussel from humiliating imprisonment and making the household knights' sacrifice the deciding factor in the battle. Roussel's charge had secured the flank long enough for his main line to break through Vahram's and cause a rout. Oshim realized the battle was lost and withdrew under pressure from Henry, securing the day for the Normans.

Roussel ended the day alive and free, but humbled by Oshim Pahlavuni's skill. If Henry had not arrived, the entire battle could have gone the other way. Even still, Roussel had lost far too many men and sustained many injuries. Vahram had slipped away with the core of his army intact, but Roussel hoped the losses had been too high for the embattled Armenian to bear.

SMr1MwR.png

Regardless, Roussel would not be leading a pursuit anytime soon. He had received numerous wounds in the battle, including many bruises, a cut on his leg, and several cracked ribs (Note: Roussel lost the duel and is wounded, as well as badly bruised). His personal physician demanded bedrest in the keep at Kaisereia, so the army fell to Henry's command. The war did not seem to be any closer to over despite a year and a half of grueling sieges, and Roussel was not certain what to make of the Battle of Talas...

Note: Sorry about the delay on this update. I felt it was pretty important and wanted to get the battle right. I had a bit of writer's block, so I focused in more on my other AAR. I hope you enjoy this update, since I know my last two were not as exciting. I can't guarantee I'll go back to weekly updates, but I'm definitely still working on this.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The seven-eyed lamb must have distracted our great leader! Treachery is clearly in its blood!

In any case, while Vahram's situation doesn't improve, this four-way war may still hold some unpleasant surprises. If Vahram's petty, he may surrender Cilicia to the Danishmends, leaving Roussel with nothing to show for his wounds and losses.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hmm The Duke need better leaders in combat when the enemy can inflict the same damage with far fewer and worse troops.

• 1Like
Reactions:
this was a close call!

• 2Like
Reactions:
No worries, I will take this excellence any time that I can get it. Which woman will tend to wounds? Hopefully not both, or battle wounds may not be Roussel's biggest problem.
Thanks Midnite Duke, I always appreciate your comments. I'm not sure on which woman yet, that will certainly be a fine line to walk...
The seven-eyed lamb must have distracted our great leader! Treachery is clearly in its blood!

In any case, while Vahram's situation doesn't improve, this four-way war may still hold some unpleasant surprises. If Vahram's petty, he may surrender Cilicia to the Danishmends, leaving Roussel with nothing to show for his wounds and losses.
:D Possession is great, it can be blamed for anything and everything!

It really has been quite the ride, but fortunately the Danishmends don't appear to have an army anywhere and I think my war score got above theirs. Vahram would be more likely to peace out with me for Lykandos rather than all of Cilicia, but who knows with the AI!
Hmm The Duke need better leaders in combat when the enemy can inflict the same damage with far fewer and worse troops.
He certainly does, I was quite frustrated by this battle result. Admittedly, Vahram is a very good general (18 martial, cavalry leader), but mine failed significantly. I don't know if this was partially Roussel's aggressive leader trait causing bad tactics to be used, but I only won because Vahram had no general on one of his flanks. I'm hoping to train up Roussel's sons into warriors, but that will take some time to pay off.
this was a close call!
It really was! I hate those duel events since either option can be crippling - not fighting often leads to PTSD, alcoholism, and suicide while fighting seems to have a 50-50 shot of dying! Luckily, Oshim (and RNG) did not seem to be bloodthirsty, so Roussel can live to fight another day.

I also wanted to mention, the ACAs are back, please go here to vote for your favorite AARs updated in Q2 2021! The CK2 category is very active, and I know every authAAR appreciates support while knowing people are following along. I highly recommend voting, even if it's just for one or two AARs.

Reactions:
Chapter 13: The Never-Ending War Winds Down (Nov. 1079 - July 1080)
Chapter 13: The Never-Ending War Winds Down ( Nov. 1079 - July 1080 )

After barely winning a battle against Vahram and sustaining several wounds, Roussel remained at his keep in Kaisereia for two weeks. After this rest, Roussel led his army back into the field, determined to decisively defeat Vahram and end the war. Roussel's wounds till pained him, but they had not become infected and were unlikely to get any worse.

Roussel finally got his wish, engaging Vahram's much depleted army in Lykandos once more. The Armenians had attempted to besiege the keeps Roussel had captured earlier and lost even more of their army due to desertion, starvation, and disease. Roussel's men fell upon the Armenians, scattering them and causing many casualties. Roussel had been nervous going into the battle since he had almost been defeated by Vahram outside Kaisereia. Fortunately, Roussel's men did not fall into a trap as before and restored their confidence in victory.

GSczqYz.png

Roussel then pursued the Armenians south, killing another roughly 150 men. Roussel then settled in for a siege that would convince Vahram to surrender Lykandos. At the same time, the Egyptians declared war on Vahram, hoping to claim Tripoli. Their massive army easily overwhelmed Vahram's weak garrisons and took the county within a few months.

Late in March, Roussel's wounds finally healed but left him with a gruesome scar. Some people were impressed by the scar as it made Roussel seem like an even more fearsome warrior, but he was greatly ashamed; the scar marked his personal failings as a warrior and reminded him that he needed to improve. Roussel took up military training with a passion as he realized his focus on family life had left him soft and easily defeated by a petty Armenian lord.

When the siege finally finished in May, Roussel received a messenger offering to discuss terms. Roussel and Vahram met to discuss the terms of the war; Roussel received Lykandos as desired which allowed Vahram to focus wholly on his war with the Danishmends. Unfortunately for him, the war with Roussel had exhausted much of his army and allowed the Danishmends to occupy much of Cilicia.

iIFD9GI.png

Roussel was uncertain where the Danishmends were since they had not fought Vahram in many months. It was possible they had encountered the rebellious peasants and been destroyed because the peasants had also seemingly disappeared. Despite having just fought a long and bloody war with Vahram, Roussel hoped for his ultimate victory over the Turks. If Vahram surrendered, the rest of Cilicia would be absorbed into the Turkish empire, leaving Roussel sandwiched between them and the Greeks.

With his victory complete, Roussel returned to Kaisereia and dealt with certain matters he had been avoiding while on campaign. First, Hetum Pahlavuni, former count of Seleukeia, had died of old age. Roussel invited his oldest sons, Toros and Halgam, to join him in Kaisereia. Both were strong warriors, and Roussel considered pressing one of men's claims on Seleukeia if they proved deserving.

IUP0I23.png

Second, Roussel's chancellor informed him of a possible betrothal for one of his sons. With three bastards and one legitimate son, it was unlikely all of them would receive land when Roussel died, so he had ordered his chancellor to search for heiresses outside the realm. The most interesting was the young countess Matilda of Taranto; she was a Norman of the de Hauteville dynasty, de facto rulers of southern Italy. Lancelin, Roussel's second bastard son, was nearly the same age, and both sides agreed they would be a good match. This guaranteed the boy would become a count, and his sons would inherit in their own right.

msNF8W1.png

The final step would be reorganizing the realm. Nikephoros was still rotting in a dungeon, and Roussel felt it was nearly time to deal with the man. In addition, Roussel would have to consider what lands to leave to his sons, and what followers needed to be rewarded. Even worse, Roussel would soon be plunged back into his tumultuous relationships with Theophano and Ermyntrude...

Note: A fairly short update, but I wanted to get the war wrapped up and move on to consolidation. I'm hoping to introduce some of the important characters for the future in the next update, so I'll work some narrative in there.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It took a while, but it was certainly worth it. Roussel needs as much land, and thus power, as he can if he wants to establish a Norman state for himself in Anatolia.

But now that the war is over - he'll have to deal with governing. More than just land, also relationships.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fighting wars is easier than balancing two women.
It's about to get worse since vassals are going to get mixed in as well!
It took a while, but it was certainly worth it. Roussel needs as much land, and thus power, as he can if he wants to establish a Norman state for himself in Anatolia.

But now that the war is over - he'll have to deal with governing. More than just land, also relationships.
Absolutely, both the Seljuks and Byzantines have terrifyingly large armies! Fortunately, the Greeks seem to be in a constant state of rebellion and too busy for me. I'm really just waiting until either Alp Arslan dies, weakening the Seljuks, or a Crusade is called before I try and push east.

You're right about the relationships. I hope to look at issues with vassals and introduce some new faces that might be important.

Reactions:
A successful if tough foray.

This will be a tightrope walk for Roussel: stuck between two fearsome powers (his women) and then the Byzantines and Seljuks! ;)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
The war could have gone better but at least something has been achieved.
Marrying into the Sicilian Normans is definitely a good idea in case any rivals come knocking.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This will be a tightrope walk for Roussel: stuck between two fearsome powers (his women) and then the Byzantines and Seljuks! ;)
It will only get worse as Roussel's lust gets him into far more trouble than any invasion ever could...

The war could have gone better but at least something has been achieved.
Marrying into the Sicilian Normans is definitely a good idea in case any rivals come knocking.
I have to agree, it did not go as well as hoped but I'll take any win I can get. I'm glad Roussel has had lots of children to try and secure some alliances. It'll be a while before any of them pay off since the kids are so young, but it certainly can't hurt.

At this point, I'm mainly hoping to maintain the realm, get good marriages, and wait for the First Crusade. I'm hoping I can target it against the Seljuks, but even weakening the Fatimids would be worthwhile.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 14: Dividing the Spoils (Sep. - Oct. 1080)
Chapter 14: Dividing the Spoils ( Sep. - Oct. 1080 )

At the beginning of September, Roussel had finally returned to Kaisereia and settled back into peace. The Greek's continued to be engulfed in a brutal civil war while Vahram remained locked in war with the Danishmends. The rest of the Seljuk Empire had been quiet so far, but Roussel could not be confident things would remain this way.

vDYBNwz.png

Nikephoros had been languishing in Roussel's dungeon since his revolt was crushed in 1072. He had remained the official count of Tyana since Roussel had not wanted to let his sister inherit the county. Roussel had not had anyone worthy of the title, so Nikephoros had continued to be the titular count. Upon his return, Roussel had finally decided to revoke the county.

Roussel was seated in his council chambers as his servants finished delivering wine and set a second table. As the servants moved away, a knock was heard at the door.

"Come in," Roussel called out. The door swung open and Henry de Ferrers entered. Henry had black hair and a worn face. Life had not been kind to this middle-aged Norman lord. The youngest son of a baron back in Normandy, Henry had travelled east and attempted to make his fortune as a mercenary. He had eventually found his way into Roussel's duchy and distinguished himself as a military leader.

Henry took a seat across from Roussel. "It is good to see you well, my lord. What may I do for you this day?" he inquired.

"I owe you a great debt for saving my life at Talas. I would like to give you a suitable reward," Roussel replied.

"What did you have in mind? I am already a commander, and you honor me greatly with this audience," Henry said.

"I would like to make you the count of Tyana. I am surrounded by snakes who plot against me. You have already demonstrated your loyalty, and I know you are capable."

lNXcDXc.png

"I would be honored, my lord. I shall be your most faithful servant!" Henry exclaimed, kneeling before Roussel.

"I shall have to tidy up my realm. Certain vassals have proven unfaithful, and I must deal with them. I suspect you will find your vassals in Tyana are similarly unruly. These Greeks and Armenians shall have to learn their place..."

Roussel had acquired multiple heretical Armenian vassals with the conquest of Lykandos, and his Greek vassals in Nyssa were growing unruly. The heretics were greatly upset by their new Catholic, Norman lord and opposed everything Roussel wished to do. Roussel summoned the heretical mayor of Tzamandos and demanded he relinquish his title to someone of Roussel's choosing. The mayor gave in, allowing Roussel to install one of the veterans of his mercenary company.

Roussel followed this up by demanding the heretical bishop of Comanagene step down as well. Most of Roussel's vassals were only mildly troubled by these events (Note: -15 opinion for each title revoked). However, some of the Greeks became suspicious that Roussel was coming for them next.

Despite removing possible opponents to his rule, Roussel did not feel as strong as he had before. He had been humbled in his brush with defeat at the Battle of Talas, and his seizures had begun to worsen, though Roussel's servants had largely covered this up. (Note: -25 prestige for each title revoked, and a random trait loss)

zttWv03.png

Within a few weeks, the bishop of Comanagene stepped down and left another vacancy to fill. Rather than giving the title to a Norman, Roussel decided to reward Halgam Pahlavuni for his father's loyal service. Halgam was not an obvious choice as a clergyman, more suited to war. However, Roussel did not feel the man was worthy of a county; his father had been loyal after Vahram usurped Seleukeia, but Halgam had yet to prove himself. The youngest brother, Oshim, had also nearly killed Roussel and engendered some resentment.

Roussel decided to hold a feast to celebrate his new vassals at the beginning of October. Rather than paying out of his own coffers, Roussel finally settled on a punishment for Nikephoros. After stripping away his titles, Nikephoros had been left to rot in one of Roussel's cells. He had acquired a large amount of gold as a count, and Roussel had not been able to access it before. An exchange was made where Nikephoros would give up all of his riches in exchange for his life and his freedom.

fE1pqqx.png

Roussel then had the funds for his feast and invited all the notables of his realm. Henry and Halgam swore their vassal oaths before the assembled crowd. Servants then set up tables and brought out food and drink. The feasting ran for hours, and much of the crowd became very drunk. Roussel's eye had been drawn to Mechthid von Nordheim, wife of Ranulph Mortimer, one of Roussel's courtiers. He had made a pass at her before the war with Vahram, but she had spurned his advances.

2PIYu0Y.png

Things changed this evening...perhaps Mechthild had decided having the duke in her pocket would be useful, or perhaps her husband had proven unsatisfying. Roussel approached her table and made thinly veiled suggestions. She quickly slipped away from her drunken husband and followed the duke to a side chamber...

NzGu03Z.png

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Duking it out with one of your courtiers wife is dangerous, they might take offence and get stabby.
That is certainly a danger, but fortunately the courtier is a total nobody and everyone important either supports or fears Roussel.

Keeping two women happy is not hard enough; going for three! Is he possessed by Aphrodite?
He very well might be!

I mainly chose this because it fits with Roussel's lustful trait and is different from how I normally play CK2. I generally like to play with many virtues, faithful, etc. but flawed characters are more interesting, especially for an AAR in my opinion.

Reactions:
Cleaning up his duchy his a good choice of action. Good Normans who have everything only thanks to Roussel's grace are less likely to act against him than Greeks for whom he's just a foreign invader. But then he has to antagonize some of them at the same time...

I mainly chose this because it fits with Roussel's lustful trait and is different from how I normally play CK2. I generally like to play with many virtues, faithful, etc. but flawed characters are more interesting, especially for an AAR in my opinion.
Absolutely. Reading about a dynasty flawless perfection only remains interesting for so long.

...but in that vein, I may also advocate for trying out a game as an absolute demon on earth (not NK-mode). It's surprisingly fun (if you can stomach all kinds of atrocities committed by such a character). Thanks to your local unfriendly demon-worshipper, it's even viable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cleaning up his duchy his a good choice of action. Good Normans who have everything only thanks to Roussel's grace are less likely to act against him than Greeks for whom he's just a foreign invader. But then he has to antagonize some of them at the same time...
He has the right idea, but he's allowed himself to get...distracted...from the big picture. It happens to the best of us, but hopefully not as bad as for Roussel

Absolutely. Reading about a dynasty flawless perfection only remains interesting for so long.
I hope I can keep things interesting in the long term. I have no idea when I'm going to move on from Roussel since I believe he's only about 50, but his children should hopefully grow into their own characters.

...but in that vein, I may also advocate for trying out a game as an absolute demon on earth (not NK-mode). It's surprisingly fun (if you can stomach all kinds of atrocities committed by such a character). Thanks to your local unfriendly demon-worshipper, it's even viable.
That does sound intriguing, I normally turn the devil-worshippers off since I find the AI kind of annoying. Playing a Vlad the Impaler style character could be fun and the total opposite of my normal strategy!

Reactions: